Medical SchoolU. of Texas
713-796-9888
9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380
281-681-0480
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ryan Steward to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Houston Fertility Institute to a friend?
Whenever I was in Dr. Stewards presence, I felt like a person...Be prepared for very cut and dry black and white approach. He is warm with more visits and he does have a great bedside manner. I felt I was in extremely competent hands with someone who is very confident in his skills...After suffering 3 miscarriages in 2017 and the work up was done from oct 2017-dec 2017 and was essentially negative and no causes found for miscarriages
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
My obgyn gave me two options in The Woodlands. Dr. Steward or Dr. Griffith. In doing research, I chose Dr. Steward because he was younger, native Texan, trained at Duke , had personal experience with multiple miscarriages with his wife (At the time of the appt I had three miscarriages in a row and was desperate for answers) and had a kind, empathetic face. I just had a second d and c three days prior to my appt with him, so I was very fragile at that time. At our first meeting he set out an exact plan for us to complete at our pace and never pressured us to rush through the work up. Everything he hypothesized was happening with us came true. He said this is not a sperm issue, no need to even do a sperm test, we have gotten pregnant three times on the first try on our own, sperm could not be involved. And of course I forced my husband to do the SA and it came back with off the chart stellar numbers. He hypothesized I may have some lackadaisical hormones and mild "garden variety ovulatory dysfunction" which does not fit in any type of diagnosis and because of that, I ovulate late and can't ramp up the hormone supply needed with pregnancy. Since my AMH levels were great (5) and age was 33, we could build my entire family at the age of 33 with PGS tested embryos and give ample hormone support as well as aspirin and lovenox to prevent miscarriage with a frozen embryo cycle. Well all the testing was normal including sperm, uterus, etc and my hormones were exactly as he said. We elected to proceed with IVF instead of an assisted monitoring cycle so we could build our family NOW and take off any pressure to have more kids in a rapid succession later. As he predicted, I did not need a ton of medication due to the great AMH at 5. with embryo retrieval we got 13 total. 12 mature. 12 fertilized. 8 have been sent to PGS testing as day 6 blastocysts and we are currently waiting on these results. The process has gone exactly as he said it would. He nailed the medications. I did not have ANY left over. I did NOT hyper stimulate. I feel like we got the most "bang for our buck" with the 8 embryos for pgs testing (the max amount allowed without paying extra) and spent 4k on meds without wasting/having leftovers. He has been blunt with delivery but so kind and warm and most importantly has been 100% accurate thus far. I am in the medical field and it's VERY difficult for me to be the patient and I have surrendered and trust him with every decision here on out. no questions asked. I highly recommend him!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
He knows his stuff. If you bring research he will review it with you and weigh in. He does listen and consider what you have to say but without a doubt every question I had, or concern I had, his knowledge prevailed and he was right. Be prepared for very cut and dry black and white approach. He is warm with more visits and he does have a great bedside manner. I felt I was in extremely competent hands with someone who is very confident in his skills.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
Whenever I was in Dr. Stewards presence, I felt like a person. He remembered specific stories we have shared or remembered to ask about recent vacations. When I was going through the actual monitoring appts at the clinic without interaction with him, I Felt more like a number
Describe the protocols Ryan Steward used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
After suffering 3 miscarriages in 2017 and the work up was done from oct 2017-dec 2017 and was essentially negative and no causes found for miscarriages, I was presented with three options. 1) do what he have been doing and call when pregnant for hormone support 2)assisted cycle with Timed intercourse to really nail ovulation time and with climid maybe producing more than 1 follicle with more options for sperm to find egg and also use hormonal support with progerstone or do 3)IVF with PGS testing and build our entire family at 33 years old. He said he would leave it to us. We ultimately decided to skip to IVF as 2017 was a long hard year with three losses and we were ready to be parents and surrender a little bit of control bc what he had been doing had not yet produced a live birth. So in january after a much needed vacation, I downregulated with birth control for 2 weeks, stimulated with Gonal F 150 and Menopur 150 for 10 days (with ceteotride for ovulation prevention added in when my follicles got to 13). He stated I did not need many meds as I have a garden variety ovulatory dysfunction in the pcos family but not severe enough to be pcos with an AMH of 5. He nailed the medications. I did not have any left over so there was no money wasted. I only had two monitoring appts week one and two appts week 2, so 4 total and it was not a disruption to my life or full time work schedule. I got 13 retrieved, 12 mature, 12 fertilized, 8 made it to 6day blastocyst and we have sent those for PGS and waiting on results. I consider this very successful at this point.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Jennice)
Jennice was super intelligent. She gave us a one on one IV injections class. Always called me in addition to sending messages to my portal and was caring and compassionate at appts. I had a few other ladies do some random monitoring on me during cycle and Jennice was by far the best.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
HFI strengths: VOLUME. They do this so much they know their stuff and have seen it all and can handle it all. Their embryologist communication was excellent post retrieval. they do retrievals on weekends. I was so pleased that they did not accelerate my cycle or downregulate my cycle to make it more convenient for them. Weaknesses: you do not get one on one time with your doctor at every monitoring appt unless you have some particularly unusual case. So get comfortable with nurses giving you answers and not doctors. Get the first AM appt at the woodlands office or else you will be waiting for a while. they use the portal a lot so get used to it. You may not have your doctor for every procedure. I had a hysteroscopy with another doctor but she truly was wonderful so I did not mind. I also wanted to keep on a schedule and not wait until my doctor had an available operating slot, so I am sure I Could have had him if I wanted to. They have call doctors for weekends so you may not have your retrieval with your exact doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute.
workup, including hysteroscopy, was billed under Recurrent pregnancy loss and was covered under insurance without any out of pocket cost, except for Sperm analysis which was 100$ doctor fee/cycle monitoring 6900$ anesthesia for retrieval 250$ surgery center cost for retrieval 2800$ pgs testing and other lab fees 7,750$ medications 4,100$ have not ordered medications for transfer yet but I think about 1,000$ FIRST transfer is included in the original costs. subsequent transfers of frozen embryos will be around 2,000$
Describe Ryan Steward's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Institute.
Dr. Steward only recommended FET after PGS testing for me given that our goal was to not have any more miscarriages (we already had 3).
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Steward is very confident. Our treatment went exactly as planned, even as far as having extra embryos to freeze to come back to for more children down the road. My husband loved his confidence, whereas I felt put-off by it. Sometimes I felt Dr. Steward was dismissive of my concerns (like in a discussion of how many embryos to transfer) or even placed blame upon me over miscommunications (Asking if I "misunderstood" instructions over post-transfer bed rest, as if someone would forget to request 3 days off from work.) Generally, Dr. Steward was kind, warm, encouraging and always had a smile on his face, which really put my at ease despite what may have been a minor personality conflict.
As a lot of questions, document answers, request clarification if needed, but trust that he is very good at his job.
The over-reliance on the patient portal was the in,y thing that made me "feel like a number," though whenever I called the office to speak someone, they were there to help.
I was started off on two different stim medications; Dr. Steward was very thorough in reading blood work and ultrasound results after each monitoring appointment. He made many adjustments, such as changing injection spot and upping dosages. (It turns out that we were affected by a recall of one of the medicines, which is why we constantly had to use more.) I give him so much credit for having to change our course of action so often and doing it so accurately that we still had such a successful cycle. Another interesting aspect was that Dr. Steward insisted upon a frozen transfer, not fresh. While it was frustrating to go through so much pain and stress only to take a month off before transfer, he was totally right. Taking a month off gave my body time to regulate and for me to fully recover from the retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Juli and Veronica)
These women were such an important aspect of my treatment; they were compassionate, encouraging, and knew exactly the right thing to say at the right time. When we were exited from the office at 12 weeks, after seeing them 1-3x per week for 4 months, I was sad to leave these ladies.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
My only complaint with HFI was an over-reliance on the Patient Portal, though I understand that a clinic as big as HFI needs a communication tool such as this. Everything else. From staff to facilities was superb and probably a huge reason for our first cycle being successful.
$6000 for course-of-treatment only; all procedures and medication was additional.
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Institute?
Houston - Womans Hospital
He [Dr Ryan Steward] is young but extremely bright and current on research and new techniques (which is very important in fertility medicine). While with some patients his confidence may be a turn-off, I found that the more we worked with him the warmer he became. His bedside manner improved significantly throughout the course of our treatments. If we need to do fertility treatments again I will 100% go back to him.
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
I generally prefer my doctors/surgeons to be near retirement age. Experience is so important in medicine. Dr. Steward was an exception. He is young but extremely bright and current on research and new techniques (which is very important in fertility medicine). While with some patients his confidence may be a turn-off, I found that the more we worked with him the warmer he became. His bedside manner improved significantly throughout the course of our treatments. If we need to do fertility treatments again I will 100% go back to him.
Do not be afraid to push back or ask for more clarification on your treatment plan or progress. Dr. Steward knows his stuff and if you have informed and thoughtful questions he is more than eager to answer them with as much detail as you might want.
The support staff at HFI is amazing, caring, and warm. All were eager to answer all my questions and were incredibly patient. Frankly you spend a lot more time with them than the doctor so I think the nurses are what most positively affected my experience at HFI.
Dr. Steward's nursing staff deserves an A+. They are compassionate, kind, patient, and warm. They actually answer the phone to answer questions and are quick to respond on the patient portal.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
This clinic is busy- schedule your appointments as far in advance as you can and very early in the day if possible. They tend to run late once it gets closer to lunch time. The patient portal provides quick access to your test and lab results and provides instructions for all your procedures.
Houston - Hous
I have a low AMH, I only grew 5 eggs. Only 1 of my eggs fertilized. Now I am waiting to transfer my one embryo...Dr. Steward and the nurses are very warm and friendly. They answer all of my questions without making me feel as if I am bothering them. He is honest with what he plans to do and ensures I am informed...He is very intelligent and educated in RE. He told me what I could expect and any problems that could arise. He is always warm and friendly when communicating with me. I always feel comfortable discussing my fertility treatment options with him.
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
Just be open and honest with any questions or concerns.
I have only had a stimulation cycle for retrieval so far. I am about to begin stimulation meds for transfer. All of the medications prescribed were to help increase the number and quality of eggs retrieved. Because I have a low AMH, I only grew 5 eggs. Only 1 of my eggs fertilized. Now I am waiting to transfer my one embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
They are wonderful! They are available to answer any questions or concerns I have. I am welcomed when I go in for an appointment.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
They are very organized and communicate in a timely manner. They also get me in and out for my appointments quickly, but also take the time to talk with me. I never feel rushed. They draw labs in-office and I receive my results usually within a few hours.
The costs cover the fees associated with egg retrieval, embryo transfer, and all monitoring appointments.
None
Houston - Womans Hospital
He [Dr. Ryan Steward] always takes the time needed to make sure that we understand exactly what he means. He explains the options and procedures in a way that make you feel comfortable. He never made us feel like we asked dumb questions!... ou can tell that this is he passion and that he has put in the work to stay current in this area of medicine. He never made us feel dumb for asking questions big or small. He took the time needed to explain and make sure we understood what he was telling us. Very personable, friendly and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
He seems very well trained. You can tell that this is he passion and that he has put in the work to stay current in this area of medicine. He never made us feel dumb for asking questions big or small. He took the time needed to explain and make sure we understood what he was telling us. Very personable, friendly and knowledgeable.
Be ready to hear the truth about your situation. He doesn't want to waste your time or money on treatments that aren't effective.
He always takes the time needed to make sure that we understand exactly what he means. He explains the options and procedures in a way that make you feel comfortable. He never made us feel like we asked dumb questions!
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
HFI - The Woodlands was in the process of moving locations when we first came in. The wait time at the appointment was significant, but understandable considering the move. Depending on the type of appointment the wait time can vary quite a bit. Again, the move seems to be a factor. I would also recommend parking in the garage. Parking can be very hard to find outside of the garage!
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Steward actually took the time to listen to me. I never once felt like I had to hurry up with any of my appointments. He is a very calm and understanding doctor.... He is a very intelligent doctor. From my first appointment he has always been straight forward with me about everything that is going on with my infertility. I am very happy with him as my doctor because he has an awesome bed side manner.... He is very compassionate and understanding of all of your needs.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Ryan steward will take care of you to the fullest. He is very compassionate and understanding of all of your needs.
I don't remember the actual protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute.
The nurses at Houston fertility institute are vey nice. They definitely take care of you and help you out in everyway.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
At hfi they are always on top of their patients. Anytime I had an appointment I never had to wait. If you have any questions or concerns you can always ask the staff and they will let you know what's going on.
the ivf cost right ast 13,000
He prefers one embryo to be transferred at a time but he will do two.
The Woodlands
Dr. Steward was thorough in getting to the bottom of our infertility. HE ran multiple tests on myself and my husband to pinpoint the issue. He honestly told us that IUI would not be a viable option and that IVF was the only course. I appreciated him being honest and not just taking our money for a failed IUI...Dr. Steward is very personable, he took the time to explain the situation and the option that we had available.
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
Be open and honest, he wants to know it all in order to better support you.
We have not moved forward with IVF because we cannot afford it.
They are all helpful and informative. No one ever seemed annoyed at needing to help or answer questions repeatedly.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
The clinic is clean, well run and organized, and very personable.
For all of the tests run on myself and my husband, we spent about $1,000
We have not experienced this.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
I felt like dr steward was definitely accessible when we needed to talk to him but he never felt overly invested in our situation. At times we wished he would have taken a little bit more time to get to know us but still he seemed like a very nice guy... He’s a very nice and knowledgeable man. He was thorough in explaining many of the features of our treatment but he wasn’t the most personable doctor. He was very accessible but never felt overly invested in us personally
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Very on top of things
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
Very nice clinic. They seemed very professional and able to help us. We never had to wait for very long for our appointments and we felt that they were always well organized. Whenever we didn’t get to see our doctor we still felt well taken care of
Houston - Hous
He [Dr. Ryan Steward] was a very kind and personable doctor. When we asked questions he was honest and open. However, he did want to push more aggressive treatment than we wanted and it felt like we had to ask things to understand...The wait time in my office was usually very short.
How was your experience with Ryan Steward at Houston Fertility Institute?
He was a very kind and personable doctor. When we asked questions he was honest and open. However, he did want to push more aggressive treatment than we wanted and it felt like we had to ask things to understand.
He was caring and personable, but did push IVF.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
The clinic is very efficient, well organized, professional, and high quality. The wait time in my office was usually very short. However, whenever I had to have a procedure I had to go to the Piney Point office and the wait time was usually pretty long. I got good care wherever I went.
IUI with clomid - $1500 IUI with injectables - $2600 IVF - $12,900