Kaiser Permanente Sacramento

Doctor available by emailNurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolThomas Jefferson
ResidencyU. of Georgia
FellowshipTufts
Roseville
1600 Eureka Road
Roseville, CA 95661
1650 Response Road
Sacramento, CA 95815
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sae Sohn to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente Sacramento to a friend?
PCOS, Unexplained
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I have been having issues with my cycles and wanted answers. Dr. Sohn took the time to meet with me and do a sonogram after speaking with me about my treatment plan and future course of treatment in his office. My sonogram did not present the best news and only confirmed what I've always known but never had confirmed. Him taking the time to not only confirm my fears but give me options as to what we will do for my next iui's made me feel much more at ease. I did find out that I only have 2 more chances before I have to move on to IVF but he gave me options there as well. I have been told by other doctors in the clinic I had to do 4-6 iui's with the same medication and then could move on to a more aggressive route, that I could do unlimited iui's. To realize I wasted 4 on one treatment plan broke my heart but It wasn't his fault as I have seen a different doctor almost every time I go there. Seeing him, the Director and getting definitive answers plus options made the day not as heartbreaking as I would have thought. He was kind and compassionate and I cant wait to go back to see him again for my next iui.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Don't be scared. I was so scared to go in there and get bad news, but I left feeling hopeful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Sohn took the time to meet with me and evaluate me, give me more information than I was provided by any other Dr's at that clinic. He was compassionate but matter of fact and his deliverance of the bad news I received was very good. I didn't feel like a failure or like giving up. He gave me options and spoke to me like he understood where I was coming from and what I was going through.
Describe the protocols Sae Sohn used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I decided to take a break after doing 4 iui's to lose weight and see if that would help. During my break my cycles were super wonky. I went in to meet with him because I knew once I was ready to do my iui's again, I didn't want anything standing in my way. He confirmed some fears I had which was I am not ovulating and my left ovary is not producing follicles. He gave me options of trying birth control to regulate my cycles or fertility medication to make me ovulate which would then result in me having a cycle. Since we have been on a 4 month "mental health" (we all know this journey is a roller coaster) break, we decided not to take anything. I do have the option of changing my mind though. He was very helpful in helping me understand the next steps in my journey and what I can do to help prepare for them.
I love the nurses there. Some of them I get to chat to while I wait and others I only get to see for a second while they set up the room or while the Dr does the procedure/exam.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I have really enjoyed the experience I have had here over my last clinic, however, I feel like they should all be on the same page. At first I was told I only had 6 iui cycles, then that I had unlimited, and again that I had only 6. Some Doctors were adamant about me doing 4-6 cycles with the same medication before going the more aggressive route. I decided to take a break over the holidays when our 4th iui failed in November. Thank God I did because had I not, I would have already used the last two cycles. Dr. Sohn helped me come up with a game plan my last visit that gives me hope for my next two cycles and that even my next may be successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
My Copay is $30
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
2014 - 2017
Dr. Sohn is very kind. My only complaint is that he seems very conservative with treatment and does not like to take risks (i.e. questioned me several times to ensure I wanted to implant two embryos instead of one). Al though we haven't gotten the results we want, I would recommend Dr. Sohn to my friends. He is very responsive by email as well...Dr. Sohn has great bedside manners. He is kind and understanding of this difficult situation...
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
If you're going in for IVF, be prepared for a roller coaster!
For both egg retrievals, I was put on the Microdose Lupron protocol (with Gonal-F & Menopur). He said this was the most aggressive protocol he prescribes for his patients. My first IVF, I had 12 eggs retrieved. 8 fertilized, and only 4 made it to day-5 embryo's.
Unfortunately I have not had great experiences with the nursing staff here. Communication issues and one nurse has not been very compassionate throughout this process. She comes across extremely fake and demeaning in how she interacts with me. I have had conversations with other patients who have had the same experiences with this one in particular nurse. The other nurses have been great, but unfortunately it only takes one bad apple to ruin the entire experience.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Strengths: If you're a Kaiser member, using Kaiser is very convenient. Weakness: The nurses aren't very consistent with their communication and one bad apple can ruin the bunch! Sometimes with Kaiser, you have to be your own advocate...
IVF Egg Retrieval: $13,440.00 Medication (Mandells Pharmacy) - $4354.00
Describe Sae Sohn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Dr. Sohn strongly prefers implanting only one embryo at a time.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
2005 - 2011
Friendly but matter of fact. I have huge fear of doctors and needles - somehow once we got through my initial consultation he never made me nervous. Had a specific plan for my situation which removed a lot of stress. Explained the process very well. I found it VERY helpful that he [Dr. Sae Sohn] set out expectations including a timeline - as in we will try x for 3 months and if it does not work move on to x for three months then re-evalutate and move to x for 3 months. I named times for insemination and he met me at my convenience at his office (Greenbrae at the time)
2005 - 2011
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Explained the process very well. I found it VERY helpful that he set out expectations including a timeline - as in we will try x for 3 months and if it does not work move on to x for three months then re-evalutate and move to x for 3 months. I named times for insemination and he met me at my convenience at his office (Greenbrae at the time)
Single mother by choice so technically had no had infertility issues before (as far as I knew.) Did three months of insemination just on my own. When that did not work planned three months with Clomid and then three months with injectables. After 4th attempt I was stressed out and had a reaction to Clomid so took a month off to relax and let my body adjust. Was successful the following month.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Did not use Kaiser Sacramento - used Dr Sohn in Greenbrae California (my daughter is now 11)
Sacramento
He [Dr. Sae Sohn] is very concervative in his practice. Very reasonable and presented my husband and I with a lot of information that help us understand the process we were going through. I saw Dr Sohn during all of my visits and he was very compassionate when things didn't work out as planned. He explained the process, the odds and what the medication does.
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He is very concervative in his practice. Very reasonable and presented my husband and I with a lot of information that help us understand the process we were going through. I saw Dr Sohn during all of my visits and he was very compassionate when things didn't work out as planned. He explained the process, the odds and what the medication does.
Ask questions.
Dr. Sohn was very patient and caring.
Birth control, Lupron, Menapure, progesterone, estradial.
Nice, friendly, patient.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The doctor and the nursing staff made the experience great. Kaiser wouldn't of been my first pick if it wasn't for the compassionate team of nurses. Kaiser typically treats their patients like a number but dr Sohn and the nurses were different and I wanted to keep coming back.
$9,500 for IVF, $1,500 for ICSI, roughly $4,000 for medication
Dr. Sohn always recommended transferring one embryo at a time but since the quality of our embryos were low, he was open to transferring two.
2010 - 2011
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
I felt Dr. Sohn was honest with me as a patient and he allowed my husband and I to make the decisions but did suggest when it was clear after a second failed IVF attempt that we should consider other options at that point. I was 43 at the time and my labs showed declining fertility. His nurse, Judi Friedman, was fantastic as well.
2010 - 2011
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Sae Sohn at UCSF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sae Sohn at UCSF?
Be patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sae Sohn at UCSF?
I felt as if Dr. Sohn, his staff and the other doctors I saw at UCSF were wonderful. I really felt as if they had my best interests (getting pregnant) at heart. His nurse, Judi Friedman, was fantastic as well.
Describe the protocols Sae Sohn used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I don't remember the protocol or the drugs use.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Judith Friedman)
Judi was fabulous! She always made sure I understood what they were doing and what I needed to do and I was always able to reach her when I needed to speak with her on the phone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sae Sohn at UCSF.
I believe the IVF/egg donor was around $25K not including medications.
UCSF