Medical SchoolWash U. St. Louis
ResidencyWash U. St. Louis
FellowshipU of Colorado Denver
1130 Conroy Lane
Roseville, CA 95661
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sahar Stephens to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northern California Fertility Medical Center to a friend?
Dr Stephens gave us hope after two other doctors had given us discouragement. The diagnosis of unexplained infertility can be very discouraging but she showed us multiple treatment plans and gave us hope.... My husband and I felt like Dr Stephen was very patient and listened to our questions and concerns. She even took the time to explain results from a prior surgery i had had with another surgeon.... We started with a letrozole IUI cycle. We decided to start at the least invasive treatment and then work our way up.
How was your experience with Sahar Stephens at Northern California Fertility Medical Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sahar Stephens at Northern California Fertility Medical Center?
She take the time to listen unlike most doctors who are watching the clock.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sahar Stephens at Northern California Fertility Medical Center?
Describe the protocols Sahar Stephens used in your cycles at Northern California Fertility Medical Center and their degree of success.
We started with a letrozole IUI cycle. We decided to start at the least invasive treatment and then work our way up. This was what was recommended by Dr Stephens and was the best choice for my husband and I.
The nursing staff is always very professional and compassionate. They always take the time to answer questions and make you feel important.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
The clinic is always very clean and well kept. They are experts at what they do! From the time I called to schedule our initial consultation I knew I had made the right decision. They were quick to get me on the schedule the receptionist was very professional and able to answer all my questions. This made me feel very comfortable right from the start. The financial coordinators really know what they are doing and are able to quickly discuss coverage with you. All of the staff are extremely knowledgeable in their profession and make you feel very comfortable. You know your in great hands at the Roseville Norhtern California Fertility Clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sahar Stephens at Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
We did a letrozole IUI cycle and are now beginning our journey with IVF. So far with IUI we have spent approx $1500 on one cylce.
Describe Sahar Stephens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
We are just beginning our journey into IVF after and unsuccessful IUI.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Stephens is friendly, honest, trustworthy. She explains the process and procedures in terms I understand. She genuinely wants the best for her patients. She cares about her patients and does all she can to provide the best care while hoping to achieve the best outcome.... We have unexplained infertility so we started with IUI using clomid. My first round didn’t produce as many follicles as she had hoped for so the second IUI she increased my medication. After the second failed IUI, she gave me the option of doing surgery to see if there was anything else going on inside that we were unaware of.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I’d tell them they are in good hands.
Dr. Stephens is a great doctor. I’m so happy we found her and the NCFMC facility. She’s always been upfront and honest and showed sympathy and understanding at all times. She explains the procedures and process in terms we can understand and feel comfortable with her.
We have unexplained infertility so we started with IUI using clomid. My first round didn’t produce as many follicles as she had hoped for so the second IUI she increased my medication. After the second failed IUI, she gave me the option of doing surgery to see if there was anything else going on inside that we were unaware of. I elected for surgery. She found slight endometriosis and a cyst. Those were removed and we tried for a third IUI. The third failed. She informed me I could try for a 4th IUI or go on to IVF. WE elected for IVF at that point. The first round of IVF did not produce as many eggs as we had hoped for. We had 11 in total. My right side didn’t respond as well as she hoped and the two embryos we had remaining Cake back abnormal. We are in the process of our second IVF. This round she has increased my meds in hopes of retrieving more eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jamie Fife)
My Nurse Jamie is great. She explains everything well, returns my calls when I have a question, gives me outlines of dates and medications and instructions. All of the staff at NCFMC is very helpful and friendly.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
I honestly can’t think of a weakness at this time. They are a very busy clinic but I never feel rushed. My questions are always answered and I never have to wait long. Sometimes I wish I could see Dr. Stephens a little more regularly, but I have come to know all of the other doctors and they are all just as friendly. I feel comfortable with them all, and they come into my examination room knowing where I’m at in the process and up to date. They all work very well as a team, the doctors, nurses, and staff.
I believe the average cost for the IUI process was about $1,100. For IVF, our first round was about 18k-20k. That included all of our appointments, ultrasounds, egg retrieval, genetic testing, and ICSI.
2014 - 2018
Dr Stephens was always available to answer all questions and concerns I had. She was compassionate during difficult times.... She was available for questions regarding my cycles. I would have preferred to see her more often than other Drs in the clinic, but all doctors kept great notes so there was a good continuity of care. Each time I met with a doctor, they knew what was going on.... Ask questions, and ask to see her as much as possible.
2014 - 2018
Ask questions, and ask to see her as much as possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
Courtney was able to communicate without through email (my preferred method). This allowed almost all of our conversations to be documented and easy for me to refer back to. She was patient and throuough. Courtney's work days varied, so there would be times where she was not in the office - these times I would see a substitute nurse. The substitute nurse was not always familiar with my case, and I often had to remind them of my treatments. The nurses were not as fluid as the drs were when assisting patients that were not "assigned" to them
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
I am fortunate that I have a very flexible schedule, so I can make appointment times work. I can see others having a more challenging time with scheduling if they have a more rigid schedule. Everyone you encounter in the office - receptionist, finance people, nurses, drs, assistants, etc - all are very friendly and take a genuine interest in you.
We were fortunate that we have insurance to cover a portion of our procedures. Over the last 4 years we have spent approximately $100,000 meds, procedures, etc.
My embryos were all pgs tested, so we only transferred one at a time. Since I didn't have many "normal" embryos, I was OK with doing a single transfer - it gave me more opportunities for fet and to try to get pregnant
What specific things went wrong at Northern California Fertility Medical Center?
Roseville
I thought she [Dr. Stephens] was very nice. I wish i was able to see her more often and she was a bigger part of my journey. We had very little interaction... she was technically my dr but didn't do any of my iui"s and i only saw her twice in the five month span... We started the first two rounds with a moderate dose of clomid. Unfortunately it didn't affect my body the way it was supposed to so i did another round of clomid before both of my iuis.
I thought she was very nice. I wish i was able to see her more often and she was a bigger part of my journey. We had very little interaction and i felt very awkward with her when i cried on one visit. I think we were unable to have a connection because of the lack of time between us.
Make sure to ask for her for every visit.
Dr. Stephens was very nice but i hated that she was technically my dr but didn't do any of my iui"s and i only saw her twice in the five month span only because i asked for an extra appointment with her. My unhappiness with my experience is mostly with ncfmc not Dr. Stephens.
We started the first two rounds with a moderate dose of clomid. Unfortunately it didn't affect my body the way it was supposed to so i did another round of clomid before both of my iuis. The third time they doubled the dose of clomid and we tried to see if that made a difference, it did not. My iui was canceled and i went in the next month for a baseline ultrasound. During that visit i was told that i had a cyst on my ovaries and needed to go on birth control for a month. I did that and went back in for another ultrasound. The cyst cleared up and i was able to start injections. The injections worked and we did one more iui that was also unsuccessful.
i was very disappointed in the call back time and how prepared she was for our conversation. i thought it was very cold and that wasnt what i was looking for when coming to a fertility clinic. I too cried in front of my nurse and felt a awkward period where she looked uncomfortable about it.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
the clinic is always clean in the waiting room. i think that they need to work on cleanliness in the back too. I have been in for a lot of ultra sounds and the first two times i was there i got something wet on my feet at the bottom of the table. The third time there was a puddle of lube at the end of the table. i am displeased with the call backs too. There have been multiple times when i call and do not hear back within two days.
Each iui was about $1200 with my insurance covering a little of the dr visits.
Roseville
With Dr. Stephens we were not having a discussion on clinical facts, instead we sat down had a very personable conversation while discussing options and facts. She took all the anxiety away and allowed my husband and I to walk away with hopes for a reality of having a baby while managing expectations...We opted to go with PGS due to our ages (Husband 44, I am 37) and after additional discussion with Dr. Stephens looking at all possible pros and cons we chose genetic testing and single embryo transfers for highest percentage of results.
Dr. Stephens and Dr. Murray are the primary providers overseeing my treatments and both are AMAZING. I have felt very comfortable with both and they have walked me through every step along with answering every question I have. I could not have asked for better physicians during this process.
Relax! Do your research as to better educate yourself about fertility procedures which makes for a better patient, but don't assume you know anything and don't be afraid to ask any questions. Dr. Stephens and all the doctors are open and willing to answer every and all questions.
Our first visit was one filled with anxiety, you already know you cannot conceive on your own and now you are trying to find out if IVF can be a solution. With Dr. Stephens we were not having a discussion on clinical facts, instead we sat down had a very personable conversation while discussing options and facts. She took all the anxiety away and allowed my husband and I to walk away with hopes for a reality of having a baby while managing expectations.
Antagonist IVF Cycle all freeze due to PGS - 225 iu Gonal-f for 10 days, 75 iu Menopur for 10 days, Cetrotide 5 days, Ovidrel 10,000. ICSI, PGS. We have male factor infertility and undefined cause for myself. We opted to go with PGS due to our ages (Husband 44, I am 37) and after additional discussion with Dr. Stephens looking at all possible pros and cons we chose genetic testing and single embryo transfers for highest percentage of results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Dottie )
the nursing staff is amazing, super nice and caring. They also are available to answer any and all questions you might have.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
I really liked how they have very specialized professionals to discuss all needs regarding your care and if they don't know the answer they are not afraid to say they don't know, will find out and do call you with the findings.
I am fortunate and my insurance did cover 50% of IVF treatment, and because we did a frozen transfer due to PGS, the office gave us 50% off the 1st FET. Total out of pocket so far is $14,490.75. Our upcoming 2nd FET will cost $3,900.00
Since we did PGS it is highly recommended to only transfer one embryo, however, I also wanted the safest possible outcome for myself and our potential baby so I only wanted to do single embryo transfers.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Dr. Stephens is really personable and really takes the time to make sure you understand every step that will take place, and that you are comfortable with the decisions and process. She understands how emotionally taxing this process can be, and is very down to earth.... It’s an interesting concept at NCFMC, you don’t see your own doctor very often, and are treated by a team of doctors. Dr Stephens is personable and easy to talk to. I’ve mostly seen her for consultations and follow up appts, and she did my retrieval.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
It’s an interesting concept at NCFMC, you don’t see your own doctor very often, and are treated by a team of doctors. Dr Stephens is personable and easy to talk to. I’ve mostly seen her for consultations and follow up appts, and she did my retrieval. As a patient, I always feel like I know what’s going to happen and what to expect which is a difficult thing in the fertility world. She answers her calls and emails in a timely matter, and is always willing to explain herself and why she feels a certain protocol is right for you.
Don’t expect to see her at every appt.
I was put on the average retrieval and ivf track for my first round. I did letrozole, gonal-F, menopur, centroide, and was triggered with hcg before my retrieval. That all went as predicted and we ended up with 9 frozen embryos. My transfer cycle started as a stimulated cycle, with letrozole and gonal-F with estrogen suppositories, but my ovaries did not want to cooperate and I was switched over to a replacement cycle to include PIO and estrogen injections, as well as combination suppositories. They transferred a 5 day AB embryo. Unfortunately while the embryo implanted, it ended in an early miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney )
My nurse coordinator Courtney is well organized and keeps in good contact with you. The nursing staff is nice enough, but like everywhere there are good and bad ones. Some are good at blood draws, some aren’t.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Strengths- upfront about costs, close to my home, open everyday of the year, no batch testing or retrievals, on time with everything, very courteous front desk staff. Weaknesses- old interior, smaller office, can get backed up, hard to actually contact the doctors on the phone
As active duty military we paid 6800 for the retrieval, and 1650 for the FET. Medications cost about 4000 altogether
I was apprehensive about this. I wanted to transfer 2, but she wanted to do 1. We decided that this first transfer we would do one, but try two next time. She is worried about the chance of miscarriage and multiples.
Roseville
Very compassionate doctor... I was happy with her [Dr. Stephens] as an informative doctor just disappointed in the outcome... it would be nice to see more of the doctor who is handling your specific case....Hormone levels where very high through my injection process resulting in not being able to be given the proper dose of hcg which could have effected the eggg quality and possibly why so many did not get to blast. Ended up switching from a fresh transfer to a freeze all because of high hormone levels.
Very compassionate doctor. Since she was the only one i went through for our ivf i can not really compare how good or bad she was because i have nothing as far as other doctors to compare her to. I was happy with her as an informative doctor just disappointed in the outcome
Go over all different sinerios that could arise while going theough hormone injections
She was very nurtouring when talking and i felt that she was very real with the process.
Tried 2 iui’s with clomid, forst was very low dose, second was a normal dose from talking to orher wmen. Both iui’s unsuccessful. Then moved on to ivf. Hormone levels where very high through my injection process resulting in not being able to be given the proper dose of hcg which could have effected the eggg quality and possibly why so many did not get to blast. Ended up switching from a fresh transfer to a freeze all because of high hormone levels. Tranfered two eggs both in which neither of them took.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Swanson)
My nurse coordinator was grat. She always resoonded very quickly to my questions both through phone and email, and i felt very comfortable with her
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Their front desk in the past has always felt very cold and business like, but they have recently got new front deak employees who are much more pleasant and welcoming. Sometimes in general you feel like a body just being pushed through the line based on you see so many different doctors while going theough the iui and ivf process. I understand the time urgency with these procedures bit it would be nice to see more of the doctor who is handling your specific case.
Insurance covered 50% of iui’s so we paid about 1,000 for two consecutive iuis. Ivf was around 12,000 for egg retrieval and transfer plus an additional 800 for having to change to a freeze all. None of the hormones where covered and that was an additional 4,000
Roseville
Dr. Stephens has been cheerful, optimistic, realistic, and helpful. We were all hoping to see a positive result last round but she readjusted my meds and we are continue to "trouble shoot"...Dr. Stevens and the entire team at Norther California Medical Fertility Clinic has been helpful, positive, and generally reassuring.... All in all, I feel pretty comfortable with her...I would advise potential patients to get a clear picture of the treatment schedule and the financial plan.
Dr. Stephens has been cheerful, optimistic, realistic, and helpful. We were all hoping to see a positive result last round but she readjusted my meds and we are continue to "trouble shoot" with hopes of a positive result soon. All in all, I feel pretty comfortable with her.
I would advise potential patients to get a clear picture of the treatment schedule and the financial plan. This is not an inexpensive endeavor so prospective patients should look into financial aid if needed -- hence, my current grant pursuit.
Dr. Stevens and the entire team at Norther California Medical Fertility Clinic has been helpful, positive, and generally reassuring. I am now on my 3rd IUI treatment and I hope for a positive result this round!
1) Clomid (1 pill per day) and Estrace (2 pills per day), and IUI. Only had 1 follicle so we upped it. 2) Clomid (3 pills per day) and planned IUI but had to cancel due to a cycle calculation/scheduling error Had 1 follicle but we made a mistake with the cycle scheduling so had to cancel our scheduled IUI procedures that month. 3) Clomid (3 pills), Gonal F at 75 units, IUI. TWO follicles but a BFN. 4)Clomid (3 pills), Gonal F at 75 units, IUI. Two follicles again but BFN. 5) Clomid (3 pills), Estrace (2 per day), Gonal F at 125 units (only 4 days). 1 follicle . . .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanne)
Joann is my current nurse coordinator but she is newly assigned to me. I have had several coordinators in the 5 months we've been at the clinic. My current nurse coordinator has been very communicative and helpful.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
The clinic is well organized with friendly staff. Because the five or so clinic doctors share cases, you never know who will be seeing you. That may be off-putting for some but it doesn't bother me. The ambiance leaves a little to be desired but that isn't really important.
Round 1 with clomid and estrace ran $1800 with meds, round 2 was $800 because we had to cancel it. Rounds 3 and 4 with Gonal F and IUI ran about $2300 each. This current round is running about $3000. All in all, we have spent about $10K with treatments and meds.
We haven't taken this step yet but we may be headed down that road.
Roseville
Dr. Stephens was very warm to talk to and always explained treatment, diagnosis, and odds to a level my partner and I could easily understand. She was always realistic in expectations of procedures. She listened to us and gave us choices to enable us to have a part in directing our care.... We were diagnosed as unexplained infertility after routine infertility lab tests were performed. We did 4 rounds of IUI: 3 with clomid and 1 with injections.
I love this doctor. She is very nice, intelligent, and portrays an understanding of the emotional aspect of going through infertility. She always explained all testing and treatment options to us. I would recommend her 100%.
Feel free to ask her about anything. She will never hurry you and will always give a direct comprehendable response.
We were diagnosed as unexplained infertility after routine infertility lab tests were performed. We did 4 rounds of IUI: 3 with clomid and 1 with injections. All 4 ended in negative pregnancies. Since IUIs were not working, Dr. Stephens gave us a choice of continuing with the IUIs or going to IVF; she explained to us that the rates of success after 3-4 failed IUIs declines so we chose to move forward with IVF. We had 8 embryos to start with. We were going to do a fresh transfer of 1 embryo (she recommended transferring just 1 because of our unexplained infertility diagnosis and we are young - we were totally on board with that plan) but my estrogen levels were a little bit elevated after the egg retrieval and she told us there was less of a chance of the embryo implanting with my hormone levels being off. She gave us the option and we decided to do a freeze all. We were able to freeze 6 embryos (2 of them were not high enough quality to freeze). It was another few months before we could attempt a frozen transfer due to my cycles being off and the lab being closed for cleaning during the holidays. When it came time to do the frozen transfer, she planned for me to ovulate so that my body could create its own corpus luteum to produce my own progesterone so I wouldn’t have to do the progesterone in oil shots. I became pregnant upon the first embryo transfer, was released to my regular OB after viable pregnancy was confirmed with seeing a fetal pole and heartbeat on ultrasound. I carried that baby to term and was able to deliver vaginally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Dotty)
All the nursing staff were fantastic: warm, friendly, understanding, and hopeful. I did not have any bad interactions with the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Clean and organized but there were a few times they were running late with their schedule and I had to wait. But if that means they were giving quality empathetic care to all of their patients, I would not have them give that up for me to be seen on time.
I can’t recall specifics but I believe the IUIs were between $800-$1000 each and the IVF procedures were just under $10,000. My insurance covered most medications for all procedures
I am really happy she gave us this option so my pregnancy was less high risk with 1 baby and chance of needing a c-section was lowered. I felt I was able to enjoy my pregnancy and not worry about all the high risk issues that come with having twins/multiples.
Roseville
Dr Stephens took the time to speak with me and answer any questions I have. She also suggested doing more tests to perhaps do an IUI instead of jumping straight to IVF as the first clinic I went to was going to do. She was warm to me and made me feel comfortable...She had a plan of action and didn’t want to just bypass and more tests and go straight to ivf like another clinic was going to do. She explained everything fully to us and she made sure we knew what to do next
She made me feel comfortable. She had a plan of action and didn’t want to just bypass and more tests and go straight to ivf like another clinic was going to do. She explained everything fully to us and she made sure we knew what to do next
To ask for dr Stephens because she was great!
I am just starting treatment. She did have a detailed plan for me to get more baseline tests done to determine whether we can/will start with an IUI or ivf. I will be getting the test done the week to determine what our plan is next
The nurses that I met with were so compassionate and caring. She kept telling me I know this is a lot of information and made sure I understand exactly what I needed to do next
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
I’ve been extremely happy so far. With the wait times to be seen, to speaking to people on the phone. I have been happy with the care I have received here on every level. I would recommend them to my family and friends
I’m still in the beginning phases. It was $225 for consultation and $180 for semen analysis
I’m not that far yet
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
I switched to this clinic from another local clinic specifically for IVF treatment. I wanted a more innovative and customized treatment. I definitely found this with Dr. Stephens. She is very easy to talk to, ask questions, and doesn't sugarcoat anything. While she was very candid about my treatment plan and the possible outcomes, she was not without compassion and warmth. She tailored an extremely aggressive protocol for me, utilized supplements, and some alternative and innovative treatment ideas. Extremely pleased I made the switch!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Feel free to ask as many questions about the process or your possible outcome.
She always greets me with a smile and "nice to see you again" I never feel like she doesn't remember my history, my name, or where I am in the process or cycle. Very warm and caring, but without being condescending.
CoQ10, DHEA, birth control pills for pre cycle. Microdose Lupron, Follistim 300iu, Menopur 150iu, (administered IM for better response) letrozole 5mg days 2-6 (endometriosis) 81mg Aspirin, dexamethasone (egg quality), PIO, e2 p4 suppositories. ICSI for male factor
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
It's a very busy clinic, and things do fall through the cracks. I have had to be flexible and do things on their time more than mine. But whenever I made a phone call or followed up I got an answer quickly.
We had insurance coverage: IVF cycle with ICSI $6,000 medications $200
Roseville
I absolutely adore Dr Stephens. She is up front and honest but treats me like a person and not just a "patient" she answers ALL my questions on appointments without making it seem like I am taking up her time a Or bugging her. She has set realistic goals for my plan for pregnancy. She answers my emails in 2 days tops! She is so sweet and kind and I feel like that is hard to come by with doctors in this field. If you are In the sac area I highly recommend her!
Just ask questions and listen!
I love Dr Stephens. From the get go she has been up front with my treatment while also doing so with empathy. She is the reason why I switched RE's at my clinic
My first IVF cycle I was on an antagonist plan with low dose gonal f and menopur. I ended up producing 15 eggs but due to low quality they arrested before day 5 except for two that were put in on day 3- BFN. He next cycle she upped my Meds to a higher dose to try and create more eggs, and chose a Lupron trigger to ensure I didn't develop OHSS. I got 30 eggs retrieved this cycle and 10 frozen blasts! Her plan coupled with my egg boot camp to change my quality.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Strengths are the doctored and nurses. Weaknesses would be the financial coordinator. Worst communication EVER. Lost my IVF check. Wouldn't email back. Didn't keep track of payments- awful experience with them
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Always in and out! Very easy while working!
8k for IVF, 3-4K for Meds
Roseville
Dr. Stephens was the first female RE Dr. I had been treated by, and who I did my third fresh IVF cycle with. At our initial meeting I sensed she was a little reserved yet approachable, she had a direct approach about the cycle protocol we would be using and over the course of treatment I found her to be a caring Dr...The treatment used was Traditional IVF, beginning with ovarian suppression BCP, followed by IVF Cycle Type Mircodose Lupron, Gonal- F, Menopur. I believe the protocol used was primarily based on my previous IVF treatment at another center in 2003, it then produced positive results, a healthy pregnancy and birth. With Dr. Stephens protocol it's my opinion that do to my age (43) at the time of treatment ovarian suppression was unnecessary, in doing so this may have been a factor as to why fewer follicles developed.
European, Latino, Native American
Don't base a permanent opinion of her on your first encounter.
Dr. Stephens has a straight forward approach yet compassionate and understanding at the same time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Miriam)
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my care coordinator nurse Miriam. She made everything run smoothly, she was very friendly and most of all caring. She also understood things on another level as she too was an infertility patient.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Strengths: I feel this clinics strengths are their staff from the Dr.'s to their nursing staff, and embryologist team. They made you feel welcomed.
No strong approach. We had three with different grades, so all three were transferred.
Roseville
She [Stephens] was very thoughtful and always answered all my questions . She made sure I knew what we were getting into. Personally she is a very nice doctor. Although she wasn’t the only doctor I saw I know she was reviewing my charts with the other doctors that I saw.... The first IVF I did we used max medications and stims. But we didn’t get any follicles. The second IVF we used minimal meds and got one follicle, but at the egg retrieval no eggs were there.
She was very thoughtful and always answered all my questions . She made sure I knew what we were getting into. Personally she is a very nice doctor. Although she wasn’t the only doctor I saw I know she was reviewing my charts with the other doctors that I saw.
Be strong. It’s a tough road but hopefully it will end well
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Susan was very helpful and I felt very comfortable asking her about anything. She highlighted my flowsheets and it made it a lot easier to follow the directions.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
The clinic is very clean and everyone there is friendly. Every time I had to call and talk to someone, I would leave a voicemail and they always got back to me within a couple hours, sooner if it was needed.
I don’t remember how much I paid for the IUIs and IVF. I know for IVF I paid 2,000-3,000 on meds the first time, and 1,500 the second time.
Never got that far
Anovulation, Unexplained
Sahar Stephens at first was so blunt with the truth it hurt but after a hour or two conversation we left knowing it happens to a lot of couples and they are able to make it happen if everything was done properly. She comes off very quiet but she is very knowledgeable and loves what she does... She always made it personable. Even though she would give us the statistics she would always talk to us about us and how it will happen and sometimes it just takes some time.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Go in with a open mind and don’t be upset if the answer you hear at first isn’t the one you wanted. They can work miracles and try to help everyone’s dreams come true
I was on letrazole and entrace then a trigger shot 10000mg
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kayla)
Replies very fast and very well educated
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
The clinic is very quiet and clean. The staff is very welcoming and entergetic. They are very quick so you won’t be left in the waiting room forever. I was nervous bringing my daughter in there around everyone who also is suffering but I came to realize they are the ones who help make her and I wanted people to see they can make this happen.
Around 3500-4000
Other, Unexplained
Dr Stephens was very friendly and compassionate every time I met with her. She did both of my hysteroscopy procedures, and a couple of our cycle review visits. She has empathy and understanding, and is very knowledgeable and personable. While I enjoy other doctors at this clinic too, she's my favorite.... For Round 2, she's maxing out my dosages to get as many eggs as possible since I have a genetic condition and Round 1 results were worse than expected.
Other, Unexplained
No advice, she's great!
She's very warm and caring
Courtney isn't a bubbly/exciting personality, but she knows what she's doing and is helpful when you need it. If you're looking for a cheerleader nurse, she's probably not the one for you.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
My main issue was with the lab technicians drawing blood poorly. Everything else has been great! The office staff are available readily via email so that's nice to have access for billing & insurance questions too.
Round 2 fees without insurance but including a cash discount are about $12250, not including meds, PGS, anesthesia, storage.
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
She was amazing at explaining the process of IUI and medications. My hsg showed a blockage from the radiologist but she was able to find an opening giving me a sense of hope. I went home after her appointments with a smile... She started me on Clomid 50mg for my first IUI. But it only yeilded 1 nature follicle so i has to increase safely over the course of the next cycle.
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Don’t forget to ask questions! There are no dumb questions
She was very nice and up front about my first IUI procedure. She explained everything and was comforting in how high her hopes were for a positive outcome which is something every woman needs during this hard time.
Courtney explained everything in detail for me over the phone before i even met with her to go over my flow sheet and injectables!
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
One weakness i would mention is the training of new hires, they lost my first IUI payment and thank god i had my receipt or else they would have over charged me 1000$! Make sure the new hires at the front desk are aware of how to handle money and transactions before asking for another payment.
20$ co pays for new patient visit. 1200$ per IUI 13000 per IVF
I would prefer 2 or 3 embryos but she’s very certain one is all I’ll need for a healthy baby after IVF
2014 - 2018
IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Each time we see Dr. Stephens, she is very personable and gives us her full attention. She makes a point of getting to know our situation and creating an open discussion of options.... With my situation, there has been a lot of “hurry up and wait” and “wait and see” time periods. Each time we see Dr. Sahar she is patient with all of our questions, and understanding and receptive of our thoughts and/or concerns. She is upfront and honest about our options and the pros/cons to each treatment.
2014 - 2018
IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Sue)
All of the nurses I’ve interacted with have been kind and caring. They especially took EXCELLENT care of me on the day of my egg retrieval - before, during and after.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
No complaints here. My experience has been great each time. Of course I wish fertility treatments were more affordable but they do their best to work with you. They are transparent about their services and pricing. There’s no pressure, they provide your treatment options, the success rates, the pros and cons, and they let you decide on the treatment you feel comfortable with.
The egg retrieval was around $10,000, each embryo transfer can be up to $5,000 and each IUI cycle can be up to $2,000.
Dr. Stephens has explicitly stated that she will only do eSET due to the young age of my eggs upon retrieval. I totally understand the reasoning and approach, although, I am of the mind that it would be beneficial financially to increase the chances of a successful transfer with multiple embryo transfer.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Stephens looked at our fertility struggle individually. She didn't compare us to other couples. Our protocol wasn't standard, and she made sure we agreed with every step of the process.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr.Stephens looked at our fertility struggle individually. She didn't compare us to other couples. Our protocol wasn't standard, and she made sure we agreed with every step of the process.
Dr. Stephens is one of the newest doctors in the clinic, but she is also the one who is most up to date on new methods, and isn't afraid to try things that aren't standard. If there is ever any question she will consult her team of colleagues.
Dr. Stephens and her staff knew us by name, and knew exactly where we were in the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Dottie)
Dottie is the absolute best. She came in on her day off to be there the day we started our IVF process. She always made sure she was up to date on our progress. Her instructions were clear, and she was compassionate. She would call and check on me during the process.
We saw all the doctors at one point for monitoring. They work together to be open 7 days a week. At first this was hard with monitoring, but we found the diverse opinions to be helpful. It required me to miss work quite often as the monitoring appts were mostly mid morning to allow for change in medications for the evening.
Sacramento
She [Dr. Stephens] is great at making sure you understand everything she saying and getting all your questions no matter what they are answered. Even though she sees a lot of patience you would never know it because she makes you feel important... She was not a pose to transfer into embryos for certain age groups. If embryos were PGS tested then the policy is to only transfer one... Make sure you go in with all your questions and don’t be afraid to ask them because she will answer them
She is great at making sure you understand everything she saying and getting all your questions no matter what they are answered. Even though she sees a lot of patience you would never know it because she makes you feel important
She took her time and talked in depth about our situation, I never felt rushed and she always made sure I understood everything and all questions were answered
Nursing staff was always very kind and caring during appointments. And always called back right away
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
The reception area and the clinic is very nice but it has a very awkward feeling in the waiting room, I’m not sure what to suggest to maybe change this. The wait times are usually fairly quickly. The facility is kept very clean
Initial consultation was @$250, bloodworm package was $300.. I don’t remember how much the saline ultrasound was.
Roseville
She is amazing, so caring and kind. I am so glad I have her as my primary doctor. I only wish I could have had her at each IUI but I know the way your cycle works that is not possible. I had one other doctor do my IUI that was not very nice....Dr Stephens is great! She is so friendly, empathic and kind...Also on my first IUI, they set the timer and left me in the room and didn’t tell me how long the time was set for or offer to hand me my purse so I could look at my phone. I wish they would have explained better the process so I could have been prepared.
Pick her
Dr Stephens is great! She is so friendly, empathic and kind
No other reason for infertility so did IUI multiple times
Everyone is great
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Clinic is great, only bummer is it is out of the way from my home. I wish there was multiple locations. Also on my first IUI, they set the timer and left me in the room and didn’t tell me how long the time was set for or offer to hand me my purse so I could look at my phone. I wish they would have explained better the process so I could have been prepared.
I don’t remember exactly. Seems like each IUI was around 500 but that’s with some insurance coverage
Endometriosis, Other
Dr Stephens has worked very hard over the last 2 years to try and solve my infertility issues. With continued set backs we kept moving forward. I wish the outcome would be more positive but she has tried her best...Letrozole due to endometriosis. Upping doses when the first ones didn't work.
Endometriosis, Other
She's great.
She's an awesome Dr. Easy to talk to and very informative.
Letrozole due to endometriosis. Upping doses when the first ones didn't work.
I have had at least 2 occasions in which my medications were not called in and I was in need of them the very next day. I am actually waiting to call tomorrow morning on one that was supposed to be faxed in last night for Fertility meds that I need in the morning.
Clean, friendly
I can't even add up all of the money I have spent on surgeries the last several years. 5,000 yearly at least in surgeries and Fertility meds if not more.
Roseville
Dr Stephens is extremely kind and patient. She called me personally...Dr Stephens is calm, cool and collected. She explains things thoroughly and follows through with things. She makes you feel comfortable and at ease. Dr. Stephens gets back to you in a timely manner. She addresses concerns and is very honest.
To have questions ready because it's easy to forget when in the moment.
Dr Stephens is extremely kind and patient. She called me personally.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Communication could be better. Dealing with waiting for a nurse call back can be tough. Appointments can be hard to schedule. A friend is going through BIG and showed me how egg donors bios and pictures are online. I did several egg donations years ago. I would not have done it if my info was that easy to access. This seems like a privacy issue. I would say putting it on the portal would be better. Maybe more people would donate.
Sacramento