6.1

400 Ashville Ave
Cary, NC 27518
919-233-1680

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
[Dr. Sameh Toma's] Bedside manner leaves much to be desired but he is knowledgeable and confident in his treatment plan and manner of approach. He does not sugar coat or coddle patients but is very upfront and businesslike.... Utlized gonadotropins Gonal-F and Menopur with deltoid injections versus stomach placement for egg retrieval. It was indicated they had better results with medicine objected into arm versus stomach. Beginning of IVF cycle with 2 weeks birth control then Baseline ultrasound with estrogen levels checked and then ultrasound every 2 days to check follicles/along with labs to check estrogen
[At NC Center for Reproductive Med-Cary] IVF cycle $4500 included anesthesia, facility fee, retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, & blastocyst culture plus later FET. IVF cycle management fee $500 Monitoring ~$1000 for their package and payment varied locally Medications $3-5,000. Mine were $2500 with $1000 worth also donated to me Medical Screening $1300-2500 (paid by insurance) Semen analysis, freeze, SCSA $650 IVF class $65 PGS Biopsy $2000 with $150 for shipping and $150 per embryo tested. FET meds $96 due to insurance coverage. IVF cycle administrative fee $30.
How was your experience with Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Don’t go into his office expecting to be coddled but do go if you want the best chance of pregnancy available in our area.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
The nurse in charge of IUI/IVF seems very busy and doesn’t always respond in a timely manner to phone calls or emails.
Describe the protocols Sameh Toma used in your cycles at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Utlized gonadotropins Gonal-F and Menopur with deltoid injections versus stomach placement for egg retrieval. It was indicated they had better results with medicine objected into arm versus stomach. Beginning of IVF cycle with 2 weeks birth control then Baseline ultrasound with estrogen levels checked and then ultrasound every 2 days to check follicles/along with labs to check estrogen. Triggered with Lupron to avoid OHSS but because of this fresh transfer is not utilized due to lining issues. Dr Toma does freeze all cycles with a transfer occurring later so the lining can be monitored for implantation success. He indicated that their statistics were higher for FET than fresh transfers. I had 15 follicles, retrieved 9 eggs, 4 were mature, 2 embryos made it to blastocyst with 1 being genetically normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carla Yelton)
Carla is very clear with information provided but not great at getting back to patients when questions arise. I found emailing her worked much better than calling to leave a message.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Wait time can be long within the office, some of the staff from the embryology department is difficult to understand over the phone, office is calming/soothing, financial staff was very helpful in explaining all fees. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly as well.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Monitoring at the clinic was between 8-9:30 on weekdays and 8-9 on weekends. I also did monitoring locally with my obgyn due to distance to travel. I usually had to wait quite a bit during the monitoring visits depending on number of patients there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sameh Toma at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
1 IVF cycle $4500 included anesthesia, facility fee, retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, & blastocyst culture plus later FET. IVF cycle management fee $500 Monitoring ~$1000 for their package and payment varied locally Medications $3-5,000. Mine were $2500 with $1000 worth also donated to me Medical Screening $1300-2500 (paid by insurance) Semen analysis, freeze, SCSA $650 IVF class $65 PGS Biopsy $2000 with $150 for shipping and $150 per embryo tested. FET meds $96 due to insurance coverage. IVF cycle administrative fee $30.
Describe Sameh Toma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Toma does 1-2 embryos depending upon the patient and factors specific to that patient.
What specific things went wrong at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
An embryologist attempted to give me financial guidance for paying for genetic testing and provided completely inaccurate information. A phone call to the financial staff cleared up the miscommunication. Also, some of the staff is very difficult to understand over the phone so I had to make several calls to have additional questions answered or information provided.
Cary

Dr Toma’s personality is straight and to the point, a little blunt. He can sometimes come off as a little cold, but he doesn’t sugar coat anything, just what you need to know. Be prepared ahead of time with questions to ask because he is busy and will leave quickly if you hesitate with any questions after the visit is over.... [Protocols] All embryo transfers are freeze all cycles FET#1 progesterone in oil injections, estradiol in oil injections, estring, antibiotic(around transfer), steriod(around transfer), baby aspirin, progesterone capsule vaginally(morning of transfer).
The clinic [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine] and laboratory seem to be very experienced with the freeze all cycles. All my embryos have survived the thawing so far. I was able to recouperate and rest my body to prepare for my first frozen embryo transfer after the egg retreaval. This clinic seems to be more affordable than most clinics in the research triangle area. Carla, Brenda(the receptionist), and Carolynn are super friendly and caring.
Be prepared to ask questions
Clinic is very busy at times. If I was not in a current cycle, it is sometimes hard to get a prompt call back from the nurse assigned to me. It was easier to email her.
All embryo transfers are freeze all cycles FET#1 progesterone in oil injections, estradiol in oil injections, estring, antibiotic(around transfer), steriod(around transfer), baby aspirin, progesterone capsule vaginally(morning of transfer). Transferred 2 embryos resulting a positive pregnancy test, but ending in a missed miscarriage at 5 weeks. FET#2 progesterone in oil, estradiol in oil, estring, steriod (started at day 2 and ended at pregnancy test), antibiotic(around transfer), baby aspirin, progesterone capsule vaginally(morning of transfer) Transferred two embryos, negative pregnancy test FET#3 HSG Test performed before this transfer resulting in finding blocked tubes(no toxic fluid) but a normal uterus. Doctor suggested to proceed again. projesterone in oil, estradiol in oil, estring, metformin(to help prevent miscarriage), Claritin(help embryo attach, body not reject embryo), Pepcid(help embryo attach, body to not reject embryo), steriod, antibiotic(close to transfer, progesterone capsule vaginally(morning or transfer), baby aspirin. Transferred 2 embryos resulting in positive pregnancy test, but missed miscarriage at 5 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carla)
She was very busy, so it was hard to hear back from her at times especially between active cycles, emailing her was better that calling her. She was very friendly, caring, patient, and understanding. Overall, I had a positive experience with her despite my current outcomes.
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic and laboratory seem to be very experienced with the freeze all cycles. All my embryos have survived the thawing so far. I was able to recouperate and rest my body to prepare for my first frozen embryo transfer after the egg retreaval. This clinic seems to be more affordable than most clinics in the research triangle area. Carla, Brenda(the receptionist), and Carolynn are super friendly and caring.
Monitoring was from 8-9:30am. If I got there right at 8, they typically would get me right in within 30 minutes, my bloodwork and ultrasound.
$4800 for egg retreaval, first Frozen embryo transfer, storage of remaining embryos up to one year. Didn’t include any medications or injections($3,500 for egg retrieval meds and $500-$1,000 for each embryo transfer meds), monitoring(during and after transfer)and blood tests after transfer.
I did not have my embryos PGD/PGS tested so Dr Toma suggested to transfer 2 embryos each transfer to increase my odds of pregnancy.
Cary
He is very impersonal. A little like a robot. He is, however, extremely good at his job. If you want a very personal doctor we spoke with another within the clinic we liked, but dr Toma is obviously in charge and calls all the shots. He was always thorough and I appreciated how straight forward he was with medical details. ... As Dr. Toma was doing my embryo transfer he kept referring to himself as "the best", which was slightly off putting.
We sat in the waiting room and they [North Carolina Center for Repro Med] called us back in the order we arrived [for monitoring appointments]. ... The women at the front desk are all so nice. I always felt welcomed and cared for. Communication with them can be a little rough. ... Carla was hands down incredible. She is an absolute angel and has so many patients and works so hard to respond to emails and phone calls in a timely fashion.
The clinic is very busy. If you need assistance and are having trouble getting called back email your nurse coordinator. Carla is AMAZING. You wont speak with your doctor directly very often but your nurse will be your best friend!
As Dr. Toma was doing my embryo transfer he kept referring to himself as "the best", which was slightly off putting. But he must have been right because my transfer worked and I will 100% return to see him in the future.
I did a low stim or mini ivf cycle. All meds were included with this cycle. We chose this because I have Pcos and my AMH was so high. Despite being low stim I still produced 30 eggs. I took 1 vial of menopur daily and I think 100 of gonal f. I was allowed to mix the shots and injected in my arm. Ganirelix was added 4 days before retrieval and I triggered with lupron. Of those 30 eggs, 19 were mature, 17 fertilized, and 7 embryos were frozen. I did one transfer and it took and I am currently pregnant.
Carla was hands down incredible. She is an absolute angel and has so many patients and works so hard to respond to emails and phone calls in a timely fashion. I had an issue once and she called me back at 11:30 at night. She has always taken care of everything and I never had a single issue with her. The other nurse coordinator whose name I cant remember was terrible. 2 seperate times when she was on call I didnt get test results I needed and had to wait all weekend until Carla was back in the office. But again, Carla is amazing!
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
They have the best doctors and staff. The women at the front desk are all so nice. I always felt welcomed and cared for. Communication with them can be a little rough. The nurses are so busy sometimes they miss a voicemail. I learned if you emailed your nurse she answered much quicker because she can multitask when responding via email. Communication improved a lot once I did this and if you need to speak to someone on the phone tell them it is an emergency.
We sat in the waiting room and they called us back in the order we arrived. I never waited too long and my nurse coordinator was the one that did the ultrasound so I always had the information right away.
I paid $5900 up front that included all procedures and medication. I paid an additional $450 for freezing more than 2 eggs. I also paid $60 for an initial consult, maybe 100 for the medication class, and $300 each for my husband and I to have bloodwork ran.
My husband wanted to transfer 2 embryos in the hopes of having multiples so we could pay for less treatment. However due to my young age and good health I agreed with my doctor that implanting 2 embryos was too risky because twin pregnancies are harder on both you and the babies.
The 2 times I failed to get information it was the same nurse on call failing to do her job, and my friend using the same clinic had the same problem when she was on call. I believe her name was Yolita.
Cary

Dr. Toma presents the facts and is very frank with his patients. He is very thorough and takes into account all of your medical history, diet, etc. He also shares about his own family and tries to help you understand the process so that you can make an informed decision based on what is best for your family. Dr. Toma understands that finances are a huge reason why people are not able to do fertility treatments and tries to make procedures affordable for everyone.
The clinic [NCCRM-Cary] has a patient portal, which is helpful. They are very organized and make infertility treatment affordable to everyone. All of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. At times, I had to wait longer than expected, but it was for legitimate reasons like the doctor being in an emergency surgery. Overall, the clinic is great and I would recommend to friends and family.
Expect Dr. Toma to be a straight shooter. He knows his stuff and he will give you the facts....good, bad, or ugly. That’s what I like about him.
I was always greeted by name with a smile when I walked in. Each staff person was friendly and seemed genuinely interested in me and remembered things about me each time.
I don’t remember this information and do not have access to it at this time (not at home).
Carla was amazing. She was always so personable and hard working. She would always call when she said she would and I could call her with any questions I had. Carla explained things to me along the way and made sure that I understood the protocol completely. Every clinic would be lucky to have a Carla!
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has a patient portal, which is helpful. They are very organized and make infertility treatment affordable to everyone. All of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. At times, I had to wait longer than expected, but it was for legitimate reasons like the doctor being in an emergency surgery. Overall, the clinic is great and I would recommend to friends and family.
Monitoring was during the morning hours. There were always a couple of others there for monitoring but I never had to wait very long to be seen.
IVF cost just under $4k plus medications. This was the most affordable option in our area, by far.
Dr. Toma is supportive of transferring two embryos if you are over 35.
Cary

Some said Toma was a tough Doc. I absolutely loved him from day 1. He listed to what I wanted to do offered suggestions but then let me make the final decision. That meant a lot to me to have a doc on my side willing to try what I wanted. At the past two doctors they basically suggested egg donation and didn’t want to entertain me using my own eggs. Toma suggested some supplements to improve the egg quality and then we moved forward with what I desired
I loved the clinic [North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine-Cary]. The only thing I would suggest is that the price stay the same. If I come in and it’s offered at a certain price at my original visit it shouldn’t go up by the time I start my meds. This did happen to me but it was only a minor jump... Cost was around $6500 for IVF cycle not including meds This included monitoring and ultrasounds
Be honest with him. If you are not completely healthy be prepared for him to tell you to get healthy. He only wants the best possible results for you and in order to achieve that you need to take care of your body
With this being my 3rd fertility doc I wanted a doctor that treated me like family like they cared. Dr Toma is the only doctor that acted like they cared about my outcome
I cannot day enough good things about Carla. This can be a crazy experience with lots of knowledge to retain. Any time I had a question I reached out to Carla and she responded so quickly. I looked forward to seeing her every time I went and she knows her stuff inside and out
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I loved the clinic. The only thing I would suggest is that the price stay the same. If I come in and it’s offered at a certain price at my original visit it shouldn’t go up by the time I start my meds. This did happen to me but it was only a minor jump
Cary
I think he [Dr. Toma] is a great Dr just kind of rushed through... I think he may not have a great sense of compassion but he keeps it real. I think he has great reviews and we will never get everything we expect but he has done great so far. Still in the early stages....he reccomend that we start as soon as possible due to age and fibroids. We started put treatmeant with vitimans and CoQ10 prenatal fish oil vitamin D, C & E oval vit
I think they [North Carolina Ctr for Reproductive Medicine] may need another full time nurse the one they have is swamped I think but she is very nice... I think he is a good Doctor. I think he may not have a great sense of compassion but he keeps it real. I think he has great reviews and we will never get everything we expect but he has done great so far. Still in the early stages.... he reccomend that we start as soon as possible due to age and fibroids.
If you don't u derstand ask questions and have some prepared when you go.
I think he is a great Dr just kind of rushed through
Well he reccomend that we start as soon as possible due to age and fibroids. We started put treatmeant with vitimans and CoQ10 prenatal fish oil vitamin D, C & E oval vit
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I think they may need another full time nurse the one they have is swamped I think but she is very nice
Describe your experience with North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I think that you have to go find out for yourself. People look at things different and want different. So far I am happy with everything. I dont know what else to say. You have to make that decision on your own
We haven't discussed that yet