Medical SchoolU. of Texas Southwestern
ResidencyBaylor
FellowshipU. of Texas
477 Glen Lakes Drive
Dallas, TX 75231
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Samuel Chantilis to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates to a friend?
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
I feel he [Dr. Chantillis] is very honest, not pushy at all with just selling things. Hardest part for me is not that much doctor patients interaction on the day in day out.... It took me a while to get the hang of how things work but after initial consultation you don’t see the doctor (depending on treatment I guess).... I’m PCOS with regular cycles but also have tubal damage so he just wanted to make sure even though it seemed I had.l a regular cycle that we would track ovulation and times intercourse before moving to IUI or IVF.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Samuel Chantilis at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates?
I feel he is very honest, not pushy at all with just selling things. Hardest part for me is not that much doctor patients interaction on the day in day out. I’m not sure which good and busy clinic would have more of that kind of feel though.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Chantilis at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates?
Ask a lot of questions not only to Dr. Chantilis but also to the staff regarding making appointments and follow up consultations. I think everyone that works there forgets that you might not ‘know the drill’. The nurse randomly told me if I wanted to talk to Dr. Chantillis about my treatment plan the best thing to do is to schedule a specific appointment for that. It seems obvious but I didn’t know and by the time I called I could barely get in before I would start my next cycle. Some of the admin things can be frustrating but I think my advice is be your own advocate and make sure to be pushing things along for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Chantilis at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates?
It’s a very good clinic but probably like most it has many patients. It took me a while to get the hang of how things work but after initial consultation you don’t see the doctor (depending on treatment I guess). Doing fertility drugs and trigger shots I would follow nurses instructions, come in for ultrasounds with a tech, and then get called again by my nurse for updates and instructions. Obviously the doctor reviewed all of those things but sometimes I have felt a little lost. (I think this is how most big clinics are run but with something so emotional as getting pregnant sometimes I have wanted to feel a little more care.)
Describe the protocols Samuel Chantilis used in your cycles at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates and their degree of success.
I have done two cycles of clomid with ultrasounds and trigger shots with time intercourses. I’m PCOS with regular cycles but also have tubal damage so he just wanted to make sure even though it seemed I had.l a regular cycle that we would track ovulation and times intercourse before moving to IUI or IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
Holly is great, she is the person I’ve connected most with at the clinic (even if it’s just over the phone after appointments). She is compassionate and I actually been able to ask specific questions as I’m going through things.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
I would say the strengths are it’s a up to date clinic with good doctors and up to date fertility recommendations and information. My previous clinic didn’t mention much of the information I learned here. The hard part for me was just the non personal relationship with the doctor on your regular visits. Sometimes I would leave confused based on what the technician had told me. If you choose this clinic just be proactive with asking questions and scheduling follow up appointments with the doctor if something isn’t working for you.
Describe Samuel Chantilis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
I’m not sure his opinions about this.
Dallas
Even though Dr. Chantilis hasn't been involved with every visit and procedure, I have always been taken of. He's performed a procedure and called me personally. My husband and I have met with him one on one multiple times. He's honest and gives you a great understanding of how your body is working. He also explains procedures and what's up next. He is the best in the industry and I would recommend him to anyone.
Dr. Chantilis isn't super social and warm and fuzzy. Don't let that deter you. He's very intelligent and is really good at what he does. Also, you don't see him a lot, so establish a good relationship with your nurse. Ruth and Holly and are the BEST.
My nurse, Holly, has called me on a timely manner. She discusses options and gives me realistic expectations. I feel like I matter and always cared for.
I was immediately diagnosed with PCOS when I started seeing Dr. C. Before he would do a medicated cycle, he wanted my husband tested and for me to do a HSG procedure. Dr. C wanted to make sure he was fertile and my tubes weren't blocked. Meanwhile, I was put on Metformin. We were cleared to try clomid. We did one low dose of clomid. Nothing happened, so we did a higher dose. Then we continued with a total of 4 rounds, out of the 4 he added in the Ovidril trigger shot to 2 cyles. We tried an IUI with clomid + Ovidril as well. All negative tests. I requested we change to something different due to the side effects. Then I started Letrozole, Gonal F, and Ovidril for 3 cycles. We did one IUI with this. All negative tests. Within all of these cycles, I usually went in CD10 to get tested for follicle progress. We never did a "blind" time intercourse or IUI. Some weeks I was in for a sono three times. Dr. C wanted to ensure we timed ovulation/IC just right. After our last cycle, Dr. C suggested IVF. He didn't push, but he gave us options. 1. He gave us the option to continue IUIs and medicated cycles. He said that I would need to go in for a laparoscopy to check for endo if were to continue. 2. He gave us the option to do Mini-IVF which is a little cheaper than a full blown IVF. You aren't on as many medications as the other. 3. Full blown IVF We are waiting to see if we can get pregnant naturally, but decided to do full blown IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Holly )
Holly. Holly is an angel. She is patience, compassionate, and loves her patients. She truly cares for me. She's been my primary nurse from day one. There have been plenty of days that I would call her to just ask a question, cry, or just babble on about what my husband did, and she was there to listen. I'm so grateful for this nurse! Ruth is the other nurse for Dr. C. I've worked with her as well. She's been with Dr. C for like 15 years. She knows her stuff and I enjoyed working with her as well.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
This clinic is organized. They have protocols. At first you may feel like they are just shuffling you through, but each lady here cares. Don't let the organization make you feel like a number. Talk to the girls in the front and the other nurses. They are all very sweet and work hard to make the office function so flawlessly. One thing that threw me off is each cycle must be paid in full before moving on to the next. In the grand scheme of things, I get it. It just caught me off guard when I owed hundreds all at once.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Chantilis at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
My insurance covered a percentage of office visits and blood work. Below is what I can remember. Sono - $365 (no insurance) IUI - $600 (no insurance) Quoted mini IVF - $8K (no genetic testing) Quoted IVF - $14K (no genetic testing)
Dallas
There were many times that Dr. C did scans that a nurse could have done. He expressed interest in my case and was excited with my results. He was able to be personable and professional....I felt like I was VERY informed from Dr. C. However, I wasn't given a very reliable risk of multiples 3+ based on procedures used (ICSI). I ended up with 3 fetus' from a 2 egg transfer and learned later that ICSI increases chances of embryo's splitting...
Ask ALLLLL the questions. Especially risks of success!
Dr. C said to do 3 IUIs initially. I tried one but it proved to be quite expensive because I required expensive medications to ovulate. I did one failed IUI before requesting to divert from his recommendation and moved directly to IVF. Dr. C was ok with this. We did one IVF cycle and he adjusted medication based on the productivity of my ovaries. He did recommend we go to Frozen with all embryos first due to the MASSIVE amount of eggs I produced that cycle. I was at first opposed to this, but was very grateful I did it. His rational was that A) the clinic had better success rates with FET Cycles over Fresh, and B) This allowed my ovaries to completely heal prior to attempting pregnancy thus increasing the chances of success.
Holly was amazing. She helped me in ways that a typical nurse would not. Offering suggestions of pharmacies and where I could get discounts by being a patient. She answered questions that I had that I didn't expect her to answer. She also was able to train really well and answer questions about how to administer drugs. She was extremely responsive to calls and questions outside of appointment times. One "con" was the lack of empathy when, as a single mom by choice, I ended up conceiving triplets. This was SUPER scary to me and something that I felt I (financially) was unable to proceed with. When asking the clinic options and what to do next, I got a very negative "you knew the risks" response and "we can't help you."
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
Clinic was clean and everyone was extremely polite and nice. The Storage and embryologists are separate but the same owner for this clinic, so you know that there is a close working relationship between clinic and labs, which I found to be a HUGE bonus.
Scans - covered by my insurance, so only paid co-pay ($40 per visit) IUI - $300 IUI - Lab fee - $150 IVF (to frozen, including 1 year of embryo storage & lab fees) $6300 ICSI - <=10: $1000, >10: $1800 PGS - $5000 for all eggs 1 year storage fees (after first year) - $600/year FET (with lab fees) $3000 Medication (not sold from clinic, but with Dr. Chantilis as your doctor, a 20% discount with the pharmacy they recommend)
My doctor strongly recommended transferring 1 embryo. I argued and won. I wanted to put in 2 eggs. Based on my own analysis of success vs. $, I chose to put in 2. Both were successful and I began my pregnancy with triplets. I eventually gave birth to twins after a elective reduction. I'm sure in the future Dr. C will push harder for eSET for younger mothers (I was 32 at the time).
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
He [Dr. Chantilis] was thorough, but not afraid to try different protocols. He was candid and always told the truth even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. He did come across as a yuppie, but a very nice one. We never had to wait very long to see him. He was up front about our chances of success, and didn't seem to worry about messing up his clinics statistics...It never seemed liked he was rushing. He always answered questions and gave us lots of information.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
He was thorough, but not afraid to try different protocols. He was candid and always told the truth even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. He did come across as a yuppie, but a very nice one. We never had to wait very long to see him. He was up front about our chances of success, and didn't seem to worry about messing up his clinics statistics.
Trust him with what his recommendation is on how many embryos to transfer.
It never seemed liked he was rushing. He always answered questions and gave us lots of information. He was professional but friendly and honest. He even called me after normal office hours.
He suggested we use Lupron for both of my cycles, but wasn't opposed to not using it. We used oral estrace and progesterone injections prenatal vitamin and baby aspirin for first cycle. Second cycle we added lovenox, and he tested for immunity issues since I miscarried my fresh donor egg transfer, when the tissue was tested and came back normal. Also I have a genetic blood clotting disorder already known from years before the cycles, but I did wind up being borderline on my immunity testing for one of the tests. He also had us do a mock cycle before my transfer and a hysteroscopy for both cycles. During the first hysteroscopy a lot of endometrial polyps were found on one side of my uterus. He said for best success with implantation they should be removed by way of D&C surgery, so we did that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Deborah and Gayla )
Deborah and Gayla our donor coordinator were fantastic. They always made sure I understand my medicine protocols and dosage and my test results. They were very efficient with communication and used email a lot. Gayla was exceptionally friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
Strengths: Excellent Care, Lab is top notch Weaknesses: The clinic doesn't offer their own refund option for IVF
$15,000 - Fresh IVF transfer using an in house donor. Clinic splits the eggs with patient. This included all donor costs, and IVF transfer and monitoring but didn't include my medication or my hysteroscopy, or annual storage for any embryos resulting from the cycle that were quality enough to freeze and store, or any surgeries needed on the uterus to make the uterus the best possible environment for an embryo to implant. Medication was coordinated through the clinic and the specialty pharmacy (Mandell's pharmacy out of New Jersey) they dealt with did appear to be the cheapest when I called around.
Dr. Chantillis educated us on eSET, and showed us what category we fit into. Even though on our second transfer we could have opted for 2 embryos I'm so glad he talked us out of it because during my pregnancy at 20 weeks I nearly went into labor and I had to have an emergency cerclage surgery after half the amniotic sac slipped through my cervix. We nearly lost our baby, and would have if we had had multiples. I was on bed rest for 133 days as it was, and our daughter was born at 38 weeks and 6 days healthy at 8 pounds and 10 ounces.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Chantilis is a kind, compassionate, more reserved man that pays extremely close attention to detail. He is VERY professional, while also demonstrating compassion. He makes the patient feel safe, assured, and personally treated. I appreciate that he takes the time to really understand the couple and every aspect he can get his hands on to help find an issue. He also did not shove us toward IVF and encouraged us to try on our own for a while (after he cleaned up the endometriosis he found during my laparoscopy). I also appreciated that after my laparoscopy he came out into the waiting room (while I was waking up) and chatted with my mom/husband with photos of all he had found. He explained the pictures to them and even joked with my mom which lightened the mood. Infertility is painful, uncharted, and scary, he brings his knowledge, sweet personality and funniness to the table which helps the process become more bearable. He also is not in it to see you pay him for IVF which I value EXTREMELY.
Feel free to ask him questions, if he seems a little shy at first he will continue to warm up and be a little more silly and comfortable as you continue getting to know him.
Before seeing Dr. Chantilis, I saw Dr. Gada at DFW Fertility Assoc. Southlake. Dr Gada was fine, but seemed to really be pushing us toward IVF. He (Gada) determined I did not need a laparoscopy done and instead proceeded to do IUI's. Both IUI's failed, after that I decided I wanted another opinion. In our FIRST meeting, Dr. Chantilis was MUCH more thorough, and said I don't want to say you need surgery, but you have every symptom of endometriosis. We did surgery, he was right, they found it in 12 places and also discovered my left ovary was attached to my abdominal wall. Dr. Chantilis took the time to really investigate my case, not shove me toward IVF.
Thus far, all we have done is laparoscopy (Jan 2017) and they tracked my last ovulation cycle because my periods were short so they wanted to make sure I was ovulating. I appreciate that even though I had surgery, instead of saying or your body is just adjusting, they tracked my ovulation with ultrasounds/sonos and did a progesterone blood test to be sure everything was working. HOPEFULLY we get pregnant over the next few months on our own now that my body is regulating!
Holly (which is also my name -so it's easy to remember) is the name of Dr Chantilis's nurse she is extremely kind, very detail oriented and has great relational skills. She is sweet while also making it clear she's there to help me get pregnant! She always calls the same day if I only go in for a sono/bloodwork with the results and she always provides a lot of detail so I don't even need to call her back.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
This clinic is amazing, it is VERY popular so sometimes you may have to wait a little bit as Dr. Chantilis is very popular in the Dallas area for infertility. I heard before I went to see him that people say he could "get a rock pregnant" - which was funny to me but I appreciated that they had such confidence in him. Since he is good at what he does sometimes the waiting room is packed!
All of my ultrasounds have been covered, I have had to pay the co-pay (it's $40 since he's a specialist). The surgery was pretty pricey (Laparoscopy) had to pay $1,000 to Dr. Chantilis and then much more to the hospital/anesthesiologist.
Dallas
I loved being a patient of Dr. Chantilis. He’s a bit quirky, but loved that about him. He was very honest about our chances in conceiving, but still made us feel at ease.... I felt like I was apart of the entire process. He put everything that was about to unfold into terms I could understand and genuinely wanted my feedback. He knew my anxiety was high and he continually made me feel at ease. He was kind, but blunt. I respected that.
I loved being a patient of Dr. Chantilis. He’s a bit quirky, but loved that about him. He was very honest about our chances in conceiving, but still made us feel at ease. He did run a little behind schedule on our transfer day, but still eased my anxiety. He was positive through the whole process. We got the results we were hoping for and are hoping to return to him next April (2019) for our last embryo transfer. We only had two perfect embryos and so we are hoping for the same results. I would trust Dr. Chantilis with my life. He’s an amazing doctor.
Go in with an open mind. He has a quirky bedside manor but is different when you meet with him for results. If you can’t handle brutal honesty he probably not a doctor you should see as he doesn’t sugar coat things. If he feels he can’t handle you due to weight, severity of issues present etc. he will let you know. He wants what’s best for you and will do his best to keep you from a high risk situation.
Not sure exactly, but I was on estrace, lupron, and follistim with a trigger shot. After transfer progesterone in oil until 10 weeks
They were kind, and answered questions when I was panicking. They really wanted success for me and were compassionate.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
They were organized, kind, and explained every step of the IVF process. Payment process was not explained well. If you had insurance coverage wasn’t explained 100% either. I did know what my final cost would be.
After insurance about 4000.00
He would only do one embryo due to my age and not having recurrent loses.
2013 - 2014
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Chantilis was very good. He was honest and candid about treatments. The staff were also very warm and welcoming...Be honest with your objectives and expectations. He is willing to be as aggressive as you want in treatments but he is also willing to slow things down if you need a break. We started with monitored clomid cycles. They were unsuccessful so we then changed to injections of fsh and iui which was one cycle and was unsuccessful. He then suggested hsg to see if there were any blockages in Fallopian tubes. The next month we tried letrezole and fsh injections with IUI because the clomid alone and fsh alone had failed. This time I had too many eggs for the IUI so dr Chantilis switched it to a IVF where they would retrieve eggs and do an embryo transfer. It resulted in a successful twin pregnancy
2013 - 2014
PCOS, Unexplained
He is very thorough and experienced. He is knowledgable about procedures and covers all options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Ruth)
She was precise and very knowledgeable. Also always delivered results on time.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
Wait time can be an issue. But the staff are very helpful and friendly
Medications were costly but I was given samples a few times as I was a cash patient. They also gave me discounts every cycle because I was a cash patient. They also have a standard cost for types of cycles and do not break down per visit for example it was a set amount for IUI excluding meds, but it would include all the scans and labs
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
He’s very smart, experienced, and knows what he is doing. Overall, I got the results from him that I expected (a baby). Not the best bedside manner, but that’s more his personality, and not anything I took personally.... Where Dr. Chantilis lacks in bedside manner his nursers fill in. Overall they make a great team with his expertise and their compassion, friendliness, and overall organizational skills.... Wait time as a new patient was 1 hour.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
Wait time as a new patient was 1 hour. I almost walked out, but I knew I wanted a baby so I suffered through it. On the strength side, they are very organized and you get lab results day of so there’s no waiting around for results.
$15,000 (which is the price i was quoted initially) including one round of FET and freeze all cycle and medicine.
IVF, Donor Eggs
I know my doctor is busy, but I felt like he [Dr Chantilis] took the time we needed to sit and talk. I didn't feel rushed by him, and I felt like we had his full attention while we were meeting with him. Some of the office staff recognized us by name/face. It was nice to see that they remembered us when we were there.
IVF, Donor Eggs
I felt like Dr. C really cared about us as patients. And he really wanted the best for us. He was always honest with us, but had a gentle way of sharing his thoughts if it didn't necessarily align with mine.
This doesn't apply specifically to Dr. Chantilis. I would advise this to anyone - always make sure you "click" with your doctors. I've had several over the years, and it's important to find one you work well with.
I know my doctor is busy, but I felt like he took the time we needed to sit and talk. I didn't feel rushed by him, and I felt like we had his full attention while we were meeting with him. Some of the office staff recognized us by name/face. It was nice to see that they remembered us when we were there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Deborah)
Deborah is great! I love her professionalism. She responds to my emails super fast. She listens to my concerns and addresses them immediately. I know she must be an incredibly busy woman, but she was always right there when I needed something from her.
Dallas
Dr. Chantilis is so knowledgeable and gave us his honest professional opinion. He is calm, patient, and trustworthy. Absolutely loved him and will use him again for any necessary future fertility treatments... Personality can be a bit odd (think a quirky professor) but he is so smart and a fantastic doctor.
Loved Chantillis! He is smart, gentle and patient. We are currently 18 weeks pregnant with our baby boy thanks to Dr Chantillis!
Book your appointment ASAP and trust Dr Chantillis. He knows what he is doing! Heirs personality can be a bit odd (think a quirky professor) but he is so smart and a fantastic doctor.
Dr. Chantillis is so knowledgable and gave us his honest professional opinion. He is calm, patient, and trustworthy. Absolutely loved him and will use him again for any necessary future fertility treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Chandler)
Chandler seemed to be a bit standoffish when I first met her but when she found out how nervous and anxious I was she was great. She was super helpful and always went above and beyond to answer my questions/ease my mind. She was so sweet when she called to give my positive pregnancy test results too. Loved her!
2010 - 2011
[Dr Samuel] Chantilis kept us well informed and explained the procedures and the reasonings of why he recommended what he did. He did not sugar coat the process or the possible outcomes.
2010 - 2011
Do what he says! He helped us conceive when I never thought it was possible.
Chantilis and his staff were informative and made you feel like they cared about the outcome and your mental and physical well being.
Due to my age, we tried fertility pills and IUI. the first IUI was successful but ended up being a possible tubal pregnancy. After 2 additional failed IUI's Chantilis suggested IVF in order to get the best quality eggs possible. We implanted 3, had 2 taken but lost on along the way. Ended up with a beautiful healthy baby boy
Always helpful and open with communication
na
I think after all was said and done we paid 20-30K for 3IUI and 1 IVF treatment
2009 - 2010
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Chantilis has such a calm, sweet, disposition. It was so refreshing after the hell I had gone through with two unsuccessful cycles with Brian Barnett. He spoke to me like a human being and made us understand that we would probably never succeed with our own eggs and suggested donor eggs.
2009 - 2010
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Kind, caring, compassionate. A wonderful doctor.
Use him first!
Honestly, it's been too long. I have since burned any paperwork as to not be reminded of what I went through over a four year period.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: I wish I did-she was wonderful)
My husband would always give me my Progesterone shots. He was OOT on night and she met me at a restaurant and gave me my shot. What a sweet lady!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
Never much of a wait, individual attention.
$5k for drugs, $10-15k for procedure.