Medical SchoolU. of British Columbia
Worcester
123 Summer Street
Worcester, MA 01601
800 858-4832
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Samuel Pang to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVF New England to a friend?
2014 - 2017
IVF, Donor Eggs
His [Dr. Samuel Pang's] manner can be rather dry but he is a good doctor and our procedures were successful. Also, he pushed the egg bank they worked with quite a bit which I guess is understandable but I might remind someone that there are others and they can use any one that they want...I will say that I wish they had not been so negative about transferring two embryos, and that the communication with the nursing team could have been better. However, you can't argue with success and ultimately I have a very positive feeling toward them because I have my beautiful son and am four weeks away from having a daughter if all goes well.
2014 - 2017
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
He was very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. The first IVF someone else performed the procedure but he did the second one. It worked on the first try both times. I have nothing else to say but you are requiring me to get to 200 characters which seems sort of ridiculous.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
His manner can be rather dry but he is a good doctor and our procedures were successful. Also, he pushed the egg bank they worked with quite a bit which I guess is understandable but I might remind someone that there are others and they can use any one that they want.
Describe the protocols Samuel Pang used in your cycles at IVF New England and their degree of success.
I don't remember specifically. I believe that the first time I took Lupron, Estrace, and Progesterone. The second time I only took Estrace and Progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF New England. (Assigned nurse: Paula Dwan)
They seemed a bit disorganized to me. The communication was also not great. Friends that used other clinics talked about how they could email questions and also how close they felt to their nurse because they talked to them so much. There were some times that they forgot to call when they were supposed to and so forth.
Describe your experience with IVF New England.
I really can't speak to this too much. We didn't go anywhere else so I have no basis for comparison. I will say that I wish they had not been so negative about transferring two embryos, and that the communication with the nursing team could have been better. However, you can't argue with success and ultimately I have a very positive feeling toward them because I have my beautiful son and am four weeks away from having a daughter if all goes well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at IVF New England.
I really don't remember exactly. I think the first time was around $15,000 and the second time was around $4000.
Describe Samuel Pang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF New England.
Yes, he was very discouraging on transferring more than one embryo at a time. I still wish we had tried for that and that I had been more assertive about it.
2012 - 2016
8 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. Samuel Pang] is all business. He is an excellent doctor but not warm and fuzzy. Very uptight and by the books. He knows his stuff but he wouldn't be who I would call if I needed something explained. I did not see him every appointment and I was ok with that. Sometimes I felt like he was a bit judgmental. He didn't perform my transfers and again I was ok with that.
2012 - 2016
8 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
He is all business. He is an excellent doctor but not warm and fuzzy. Very uptight and by the books. He knows his stuff but he wouldn't be who I would call if I needed something explained. I did not see him every appointment and I was ok with that. Sometimes I felt like he was a bit judgmental. He didn't perform my transfers and again I was ok with that.
If you are looking for warm and fuzzy....this is not the doctor for you. If you are looking for a good doctor with an amazing coordinator....go for it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
I felt like a human with some and number with others. I ended up being at the clinic for so long that I got to know many of the staff. I LOVED my coordinator. Dr. Pang is all business.
I don't even know. Lupron, estrogen (all forms), PIO. I had a lot of stupid things happen. Eggs didn't thaw.....lining issues.....crappy embryos......My last cycle the book was thrown at me. Lupron, estrogen (all forms), Deletrogen shots, PIO.....it finally worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF New England. (Assigned nurse: Alicia and then Paula Duan (I think))
I loved Alicia and she left the clinic. I then had Paula and she was ok. Attentive etc but sometimes a scatter brain. I LOVED my coordinator....Linda Hillis. She was instrumental in me getting through the process and getting pregnant. She helped with donors and made sure that I received the best care possible.
Describe your experience with IVF New England.
Strengths.....organized, clean, staff, worked with my local RE. Weakness.....a hospital setting - not warm, fiscal people suck, it was far for me, a lot of changes since they became part of Boston IVF.
$35,500 plus meds (most covered by insurance)
6 IVF, Donor Eggs
After miscarriage w/ frozen embryos Dr. Pang highly recommended using PGS for all subsequent fresh autologous IVF cycles to prevent another miscarriage resulting from abnormal karyotype which was not something that we had considered. He altered treatment plans for IVF stimulation to maximize # of eggs retrieved rather than just trying the same thing over & over. He also recommended supplements to help improve my response to stimulation & maximize what ovarian reserve I had.
European, Other
6 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
Dr. Pang was thorough w/ explanations especially of risks of treatment & success rates of treatment/chance of multiple pregnancy w/ DE transfer of more than one embryo. He was sincere when calling to report PGS results (all embryos for all cycles were abnormal) & called as soon as he had the report (by 7 am). He made the schedule for ERs & ETs so that he could do most of the procedures himself (did all ETs & 1/4 of ERs)
He is not an overly warm/fuzzy type however still sincere & offered genuine sympathy w/ miscarriage & abnormal PGS results. He is extremely knowledgeable of statistics, lab tests, PGS & donor egg.
Dr. Pang called me with PGS results every cycle. Also called me w/ karyotype results from miscarriage D&C. Also called to offer congratulations after successful DE cycle ultrasound
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF New England. (Assigned nurse: Paula Dwan, NP)
Extremely detail oriented, organized, knowledgeable, & compassionate. Provided easy to read written treatment plans & stimulation with dates for every cycle. Spoke slowly & clearly when leaving msgs w/ results & instructions including all results (lab levels, etc) & repeated the msg twice & even added humor on most interactions. Personally scheduled herself to review all OB ultrasound results & even was present during the ultrasound scans
Describe your experience with IVF New England.
Clean facility with updated furniture, good lighting & recently renovated. State of the art embryology lab. Careful to ensure no mistakes w/ lab samples or signed paperwork (need to show photo id for all blood draws, ERs, ETs, sperm collection & details of photo id are recorded on all consents (license #, expiration date, state of license for both partners). Friendly & knowledgeable staff especially all clinical people. Greeted with a smile by almost everyone for almost every encounter. Have counseling free of charge & mandate counseling for donor egg cycles which really helped my husband & I to have the conversations to decide on proceeding with donor egg. The PACU staff sincerely offered sympathies before & after my D&C. They took the time to acknowledge my loss rather than just treat it as any other procedure.
$2,200 per PGS cycle x 4 cycles $18,500 for donor egg cycle Aprox $100 per cycle total co pays for rx - had excellent rx insurance coverage (per the pharmacy receipts my meds cost the insurance co aprox $15k per cycle for autologous cycles) Very fortunate to have harvard pilgrim insurance that covered IVF cycles w/ $5 co pay per cycle $85 per month storage fee for frozen embryos
2013 - 2016
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr Samuel Pang] is good at treating and identifying "unexplained infertility" which is what I first had before going to him. So far I have produced one child in his care and am currently in the process of working on another one!...While he is good, we also never are able to get him on the phone directly and only speak to the nurses during treatment. The nurses bedside manner is about 50/50
2013 - 2016
European, Latino
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
He is a director and very knowledgeable. He understands your situation and advises treatment well. He is not the most personable person but as long as I get good results and I understand my treatment, that is what matters most. He is good at treating and identifying "unexplained infertility" which is what I first had before going to him. So far I have produced one child in his care and am currently in the process of working on another one!
Do not wait too long before getting results and if after a couple of years if you are still unhappy, get a second opinion. Dr Pang was my second opinion after which I finally was able to have kids. I spent too much timegoing through senseless procedures with another doctor that would've never produced me any kids.
I felt in the middle. While he is good, we also never are able to get him on the phone directly and only speak to the nurses during treatment. The nurses bedside manner is about 50/50
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF New England. (Assigned nurse: Ann Moegle)
They always got back to you same day with instructions and procedures. Though I noticed when you specifically need or want something like a scheduling thing, they would not go out of their way for you unfortunately. You have to abide by their schedule and their rules ofr retrievals and transfers and results. One time I was having major anxiety and would not stop crying at work. I wanted to find out my pregnancy results sooner on a weekend if possible and they would not do that for me because they said their rooms get too swamped when they allow blood tests on weekends. I had been a patient there for a long time and would've appreciated some additional assistance but they would not budge.
Describe your experience with IVF New England.
Some appointments can be quick in and out and some may require a long wait if they have a full waiting room. Doctors sometimes get real busy and get overbooked.
Expensive, indusrance did not cover much
9 IVF, Donor Eggs
He is no nonsense and very serious about his job.... Dr Pang had given my husband and I a chromosome test where is was found I had an extra chromosome that was maybe to blame for myany failed ivf attempts at my last clinic.... he was more confident in using donor eggs then my own to have a healthy baby. I trusted him and he provided an excellent medical protocol for my egg donor. Everything was seamless,and easy.
European, Other
9 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
Dr. Pang was no nonsense and after so many failed attempts and fluff from our previous doctor we felt we were finally with a doctor that would take the time to figure out the real reason we couldn’t get pregnant. He is no nonsense and very serious about his job and he does it good and will do whatever it takes to have a happy outcome. And even reached out to me to discuss any questions I had during the the process.
Stay open-minded and just know this guy is legit and knows what he is doing. Trust him.
He made me feel re-assured that I would be a mom. He didn’t bs me or my husband and got right to the point and we appreciated the honesty. It’s a tough business and to have someone know how to make things happen and will do all it takes was a game changer. He is amazing.
Dr Pang had given my husband and I a chromosome test where is was found I had an extra chromosome that was maybe to blame for myany failed ivf attempts at my last clinic. They didn’t test me there but pushed frozen cycle after cycle that always ended in miscarrriage. Because of this chromosome being there he was more confident in using donor eggs then my own to have a healthy baby. I trusted him and he provided an excellent medical protocol for my egg donor. Everything was seamless,and easy. Which for an egg donor having to go through ivf for no personal benefit you want to be sure they are treated better than most.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF New England. (Assigned nurse: Paula )
The staff was amazing and Paula was the best. I live on the other side of the state and she always made sure appointments for myself and donor were made and easy and stress free.
Describe your experience with IVF New England.
I can’t say anything bad. Maybe I’m bias because I was a successful ivf story but it took many bad days to get to that one good one. While the traveling was convenient being from the other side of the state I wish they had branches more locally to setve western mass.
Because we used donor eggs and had no insurance coverage we paid out of pocket $16,000. Give or take. This included legal fees, egg donor cycle, transfer, meds, and continuing to pay storage fees.
I remember a couple days before transfer I begged dr pang to transfer two embryos for a higher success rate. He didn’t want to budge and knew I’d get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy with a singleton and he was right.
2005 - 2012
He [Dr. Samuel Pang] was very kind and informative. So I mostly saw him only early on at a meeting. Possibly when I did IVF however I do not remember. The earlier in the nurse (Tracy Gentile) at Milford Hospital provided everything. She was exceptional.... I felt as though with any IVF doctor you see them early on in there overseeing her care however you did not see them one on one every time. And I am OK with that.
2005 - 2012
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
He was very kind and informative. So I mostly saw him only early on at a meeting. Possibly when I did IVF however I do not remember. The earlier in the nurse (Tracy Gentile) at Milford Hospital provided everything. She was exceptional.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pang at Boston IVF?
Experience very personal care specifically by the fertility nurse who worked at Milford Hospital. Met with her one on one for IUI's and she did all the calls personally to let me know of the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tracy Gentile)
Tracey Gentile was awesome. I got to the point where I only wanted to speak with her and wish I could've taken her along with me when I did the IVF treatments in Lexington. She was the one who gave me the bad news when I was not pregnant and I was happy that she was the one who is able to give me the good news when I was pregnant. She was kind and patient specifically during IUI's.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They seemed to have lots of information for patients, were organized and always available on call if I had questions. I attended the location in Milford for many of my early procedures. Having to go out to Lexington for the IVF procedures was a little scary because it was something different however the clinic was very good about making sure I knew where I was going and what would be done. I went to the Milford clinic not the Worcester clinic, all my comments going forward will be for the Milford clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pang at Boston IVF.
We have insurance that covered most of all the procedures. I had to cover co-pays for medications.
Describe Samuel Pang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
I thought Dr. pang explained pros and cons to single or multiple embryo transfer very well. However, most people do not understand the potential risks of carrying multiples, and the challenges with having them.
Boston IVF
Milford
2 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Dr. Pang is not a warm and fuzzy doctor, so if that is your style, I wouldn't recommend him. He is however, extremely intelligent and you feel like he is on the cutting edge with technology and research. He is also extremely punctual so you never feel like you are an afterthought....Dr. Pang was very realistic with us from the start.
European, Middle Eastern
2 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
Don't assume he is cold, he is just very professional.
Dr. Pang was very realistic with us from the start. The team at IVF New England is incredibly compassionate and many of the professionals there have gone through IVF as well.
I don't remember exactly, but most recently we went through 2 Patch protocols because I am considered a low-responder. This involved Menopure, Gonal-F, a steriod pill, and ganorelix towards the end. You also track for a month before you begin and wear an estrogen patch for awhile at the beginning.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF New England. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Butters)
Amazing at answering questions and returning calls. Definitely conservative about everything, but that is there job :)
Describe your experience with IVF New England.
Extremely efficient. In and out for blood work and ultrasounds within 15-20 minutes. Ample appointments so you aren't late for work!
My first cycle I tried to donate for my sister so that was out of pocket around $20,000. The other cycles were largely covered by my insurance, but now that we are beginning egg donor we will have to pay about $15,000-$20,000.
Lexington
From the first time meeting with Dr. Pang [at IVF New England], he was extremely knowledgable and took the time to answer all our questions. From then on when speaking to him or the nursing staff, I always felt as though they were very thorough and answered any concerns in a timely manner. We never doubted any aspects of our care because it felt like we were in good hands. Luckily, we were successful on our fifth cycle with IVF New England (3 medicated and 2 IUIs).
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
From the first time meeting with Dr. Pang, he was extremely knowledgable and took the time to answer all our questions. From then on when speaking to him or the nursing staff, I always felt as though they were very thorough and answered any concerns in a timely manner. We never doubted any aspects of our care because it felt like we were in good hands. Luckily, we were successful on our fifth cycle with IVF New England (3 medicated and 2 IUIs). Dr. Pang met with us one last time after my 8 week ultrasound to answer any other questions and congratulate us before sending me to the care of my OBGYN. We are prepared to return to this clinic when the time is right to try for baby #2.
2013
Overall I had a good experience with dr pang. I saw him trying to conceive a 2nd child....He was very upfront that it may not work Since I had poor egg quality and was a couple years since my previous pregnancy. We also discussed the possibility of donor eggs...Everyone there from admin to phelobotomists were always very kind...
2013
How was your experience with Samuel Pang at IVF New England?
Overall I had a good experience with dr pang. I saw him trying to conceive a 2nd child. I initially saw dr Anania at that practice to conceive my first. 3 fresh cycles with dr Anania. Anania left the practice. 1 fresh cycle with pang to achieve singleton pregnancy. He was very upfront that it may not work Since I had poor egg quality and was a couple years since my previous pregnancy. We also discussed the possibility of donor eggs.
I don't remember specifics but I know we used a fairly aggressive approach (i.e. Med's)
Describe your experience with IVF New England.
Everyone there from admin to phelobotomists were always very kind..