9.8

Worcester
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
With PGS, [Dr. Samuel Pauli] advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2...He is a very sweet man, but also analytical and technical as a doctor. He is a professional and all business while maintaining a very human demeanor...will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
We got along amazingly well [with the nurses at Boston IVF]. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years...If you go early [for monitoring], then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He really wants to have his patients succeed, and he is very modest and will tweak protocols when something doesn't work. He was always very kind and easy to talk to, and I am sad that things didn't work out. Towards the end of my time I felt like he was almost too kind and would say what he thought I wanted to hear rather than what I needed to hear.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
If you are under 35 and have no history of recurrent pregnancy loss, than you should do just fine with him. More advanced cases with older patients and recurrent pregnancy losses may need to look elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Round 1: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger 8 eggs, all mature and fertilized. 1 fresh transfer "worked," miscarriage at 11 weeks. Karyotype revealed a normal pregnancy and unexplained loss. 2 remaining untested frozen embryos. 1st negative pregnancy test, 2nd "worked," miscarriage at 8 weeks due to triploidy. Round 2: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 7 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 3: Menopur and Gonal F, Cetrotide Pregnyl/Lupron Double Trigger Added PGS. 10 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 abnormal blast. Round 4: Lupron Flare with Lupron and Gonal F only, Pregnyl Trigger Added PGS. 11 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS normal blast. Miscarriage at 6ish weeks with low beta and slow heartrate. Was found to be an abnormal blast after karyotype testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki P and Nikki F)
We got along amazingly well. I also would get my bloodwork and ultrasounds done at a local satellite clinic and I got along spectacularly well with the phlebotomists and sonographers there after seeing them for years. Unfortunately, my primary nursing team was moved to another location closer to me, and I did not like the team there, which further contributed to my leaving after the third miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: So many different doctors and locations to choose from, you just gotta move around and see who may be the perfect fit for you. There is also a MInd-Body center on site where the surgical unit is so you can have counseling or acupuncture if you wish. Weakness: Very standard, conventional practices, doesn't always tailor the protocol to your needs well, and could have benefitted from further tests.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
If you go early, then you'd be fine. Mostly people didn't show up at their designated times, so it was generally first come first serve. The satellite clinic I went to was amazing and they loved seeing me so much.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Luckily, we have health insurance, so our rounds were completely covered. Medications had to be paid for though, but they only made out to be in the $200 range tops.
Describe Samuel Pauli's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
With PGS, it was advised to transfer 1 only. Without PGS, then we were advised to transfer 2.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
[Dr. Samuel Pauli] Very detailed and thorough. Made numbered lists. Talked through all aspects of the situation with precision and compassion. Calming bedside manner -- not overly empathic, so seemed trustworthy...If you like someone who makes lists and is detailed, he is your doctor. I didn't want someone who would be overly emotional -- I wanted the news straight, and that's what I got...gave precise explanations and called to follow up
Small outpost of IVF New England and Boston IVF merger. I usually went to Lexington office (IVF NE) but could also go to Waltham office (Boston IVF) for blood work and ultrasounds. I VASTLY PREFERRED the staff at the Waltham office. Ultrasound techs were friendly and communicative, phlebotimists were skilled and fast...I'd come in for morning blood work and ultrasound, and nursing staff would call with results by 2 pm. Very clear communication, gave precise directions. The one thing that didn't happen is that we did not have an appointment to specifically walk me through each of the medications (but I figured it out).
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
gave precise explanations and called to follow up
My insurance required 2 IUIs before IVF. For IUI, used Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger. Now in middle of IVF. Using Menopur and Gonal-F for daily injections. HCG and Lupron trigger. Cabrigolide to prevent OHSS, will use progesterone cream and estrogen patches to support transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I have excellent insurance with a $4000 deductible. after my deductible was satisfied, everything was free. Office visits were $300-$500, blood work and ultrasounds were usually around $150. Medications were thousands.
Definitely said not to do more than 2 embryos. On the fence about 1 vs 2.
Lexington

Dr Pauli is a very science based doctor. He wanted to stick to what has been scientifically researched in terms of supplements and remedies. He listened me for my suggestions and agreed to do a procedure the way I wanted...Dr Pauli explained why it is so hard for us to conceive and was very realistic but in a nice way. He agreed to do the 7th IVF just because I wanted to. At the same time, he blurted out clinic’s success rate was gonna go down with my 7th try.
I liked the regular sonographers Annie and Deb. They told me what they were seeing and didn’t leave me wondering how many follicles I have or how big they were. The lab [at IVF New England] was usually very quick. I didn’t like the way the waiting room was. Various people were waiting and sometimes I felt sensitive to what others were there for...They were always pleasant to talk to. They were organized and answered any questions I had patiently. Their return calls were always prompt.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He is very nice. But don’t ask him about supplements and other things you would do to increase your fertility.
Dr Pauli explained why it is so hard for us to conceive and was very realistic but in a nice way. He agreed to do the 7th IVF just because I wanted to. At the same time, he blurted out clinic’s success rate was gonna go down with my 7th try. I know he said it jokingly. Except this statement, he treated us nicely.
Because I had already had four IVF cycles before I saw him, dr Pauli reviewed what worked well and didn’t work well for me from the previous cycles. He did both antagonist and birth control for prep. Used Gonal-f (follistim) as FSH and menopur and lupron. I used clamid and femera as well. When I used femera and small dose of follistim, I had day 5 transfer for the first time although it ended in negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I liked the regular sonographers Annie and Deb. They told me what they were seeing and didn’t leave me wondering how many follicles I have or how big they were. The lab was usually very quick. I didn’t like the way the waiting room was. Various people were waiting and sometimes I felt sensitive to what others were there for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
It was about $10,000 for a complete cycle plus testing and lab. My insurance covered almost all of the full cycle.
None

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
I only saw Dr. Pauli twice. The rest of my care was with nurses or other doctors. He was nice, but very to the point, scientific and I felt rushed. I did feel like he knew what he was doing and we were in good care, I just had no connection with him...Dr. Pauli himself was nice, but very scientific and down to business. The nurses were great and made me fell human.
The nurses, ultrasound techs, all were so so nice and always returned my calls and explained things. No complaints...We had to start with 3 IUI's. Tests were inconclusive, so we were unexplained infertility. I wanted to to a IVF cycle with NO birth control and he let me which I thought was great. After the failed IUI's we did IVF. IVF worked the first time, so he didn't have to come up with a new strategy.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli is just there for the logistics and you won't see him often.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Excellent! The nurses, ultrasound techs, all were so so nice and always returned my calls and explained things. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered 100% of procedures I had maybe $50 of copays & $200 for meds.

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
Dr. Pauli was a very caring doctor. He was very cautious and explained all the risk to us. Sometimes I wish she had been a bit more aggressive. I really have nothing bad to say about him. It just didn't work and his clinic to get pregnant....The nursing staff [at IVF New England] was very kind and strong at this clinic. I felt like I could call them with any questions and they are always called me back and we're very helpful.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauly was a very caring doctor. He was very cautious and explained all the risk to us. Sometimes I wish she had been a bit more aggressive. I really have nothing bad to say about him. It just didn't work and his clinic to get pregnant.
He's very trustworthy and kind and I really have nothing bad to say about him
He is a very thouthoughtful and caring doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
The nursing staff was very kind and strong at this clinic. I felt like I could call them with any questions and they are always called me back and we're very helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic works like a machine. I was able to get in and get my ultrasounds and blood in no time at all every morning. If anything I think this was the best clinic that I experience.