Don't recommend: 100%3

Washington DC
2021 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.296.2595

Soon as she [Dr. Sandy Li] realized my husband had siblings with sickle cell she and her nurse sent repeatedly asked me to reconsider undergoing genetic testing. I declined initially due to the timing of the test. I am not a carrier and am not opposed to genetic testing. Even with a signed decline form, they asked 3-4 times for me to reconsider. Dr. Li herself called and asked me to reconsider taking the testing and that later on, I might not want to keep embryos that have the trait for sickle cell anemia. These delays brought us from October to December. Then they told me they won't start a cycle in December due to the lab undergoing quality assurance. I never heard from her or the nurse again. I reached out and requested a different team in February.
Advocate for yourself [at Shady Grove Fertility]...They had me repeat initial workup tests and then stalled my treatment when I declined genetic testing...Initial workup was 2000 for the testing and repeated tests. Mostly covered by insurance. They quoted me 10000 for IVF...A strength is that they have multiple locations in the DMV area. There are many doctors. Ideally, if one doctor is not a good fit you may switch to another doctor. Weaknesses are that they push hard for eSET, they treat you like a number, be prepared to ask them to explain their protocol.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Strengths are that she makes herself available to her patients. Weaknesses is that she doesn't review charts appropriately and has patients repeat the same tests multiple times. She also allows her personal bias to cross ethical boundaries. She essentially delayed my treatment because I refused to approve genetic testing. I am African-American they screen for sickle cell anemia at birth. She heard my husband say he has a history of it on his side of the family and took it upon herself to tell me she wouldn't select an embryo with sickle cell trait or sickle cell anemia for transfer. This is beyond medical advice and crossed into telling a client what they should and shouldn't do with their own embryos. At this point imaginary embryos that have not possibility of developing sickle cell anemia. I essentially was discarded to the side because I didn't sign a consent form for genetic testing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Li treated my like a sub-human. She had me repeat initial work-up testing 2 to 3 times and never approved of a treatment cycle. Soon as she realized my husband had siblings with sickle cell she and her nurse sent repeatedly asked me to reconsider undergoing genetic testing. I declined initially due to the timing of the test. I am not a carrier and am not opposed to genetic testing. Even with a signed decline form, they asked 3-4 times for me to reconsider. Dr. Li herself called and asked me to reconsider taking the testing and that later on, I might not want to keep embryos that have the trait for sickle cell anemia. These delays brought us from October to December. Then they told me they won't start a cycle in December due to the lab undergoing quality assurance. I never heard from her or the nurse again. I reached out and requested a different team in February.
Describe the protocols Sandy Li used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Didn't make it this far. Dr. Li and her nurse gave me the runaround and then disappeared before the lab closed for quality assurance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenny Wang)
Same as Dr. Li. They had me repeat initial workup tests and then stalled my treatment when I declined genetic testing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Sandy Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Sandy Li