Medical SchoolBaylor
ResidencyU. of Pennsylvania
FellowshipUCSF
1098 Foster City Boulevard
Foster City, CA 94404
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sara Pittenger-Reid to a friend?
9.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Science Center to a friend?
Dr. Reid highly recommended a single embryo transfer. On my final visit with her when graduating...the last thing she said to me was, "If you come back for more, put them in one at a time."...She delivered information and answers to questions very succinctly and professionally, yet delivered information in a caring and concerned manner. She always asked, even after many questions and answers had been exchanged, if there were any further questions. She made me feel good each and every visit. I felt a connection to her as if we could have been very good friends in another life.
Laura [nurse at Reproductive Science Center] was organized and clear in all communication (written and verbal). Even though I'm sure her caseload was extensive during the time of my treatment, she always responded quickly and treated me with great care. She sent me notes and left voice messages of congratulations and joy when we had successes along the way such as a great retrieval outcome, PGT results, and positive pregnancy outcome.
How was your experience with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr. Reid was incredible. I felt at ease in every situation with her during the initial consultation in her office, testing visits, operations, and our frozen embryo transfer. I always felt cared for. I fully trusted her treatment protocol was specific to my body. I was sorry to say goodbye to Dr. Reid when we graduated from RSC after our successful transfer. I am 21 weeks along and will always be grateful to Dr. Reid and RSC for our little girl.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Ask lots of questions. She will answer every one of them completely, and that will make you feel more knowledgeable and at ease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr. Reid was very warm and generous of her time each and every visit. She delivered information and answers to questions very succinctly and professionally, yet delivered information in a caring and concerned manner. She always asked, even after many questions and answers had been exchanged, if there were any further questions. She made me feel good each and every visit. I felt a connection to her as if we could have been very good friends in another life.
Describe the protocols Sara Pittenger-Reid used in your cycles at Reproductive Science Center and their degree of success.
I stimulated for 8 days with 150 units of Gonal F and 150 units of Menopur. I used a Lupron trigger, which I questioned Dr. Reid about. I was concerned Lupron would not yield a good quality egg retrieval outcome, but she assured me this was the correct trigger choice for my body (to avoid OHSS). All of my follicles yielded an egg. 18 eggs were retrieved. 12 fertilized (ICSI). 6 made it to blastocyst and were frozen. 4 of these embryos were PGT normal. We transfered one embryo 2 months following my retrieval. My first baby--a girl is currently 21 weeks gestation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Appling Rueckheim)
Laura was organized and clear in all communication (written and verbal). Even though I'm sure her caseload was extensive during the time of my treatment, she always responded quickly and treated me with great care. She sent me notes and left voice messages of congratulations and joy when we had successes along the way such as a great retrieval outcome, PGT results, and positive pregnancy outcome.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
RSC is a well oiled machine. They handle everything beyond efficiently, from scheduling to billing to office operations. I live 2 hours away from Dr. Reid's Foster City clinic location, so I would often go to the slightly closer Los Gatos clinic for monitoring appointments. On weekend monitoring appoints and for procedures I went to the San Ramon clinic. During visits to all 3 of these clinics I came in contact with nothing short of amazing doctors, nurses, and staff. I always felt like my time was respected and I was treated like a person. I felt that everyone was in my corner every step of the way. I live in the Monterey area and drove many hours to appointments during my treatment. It was worth every hour, mile, and penny to be in the hands of RSC.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center.
$16,100: egg retrieval workup and procedure costs for freeze-all cycle $3,200: stimulation drugs $1,500: PGT testing $4,300: frozen transfer workup and procedure $410: post-transfer injectibles $25,510 (TOTAL)
Describe Sara Pittenger-Reid's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Science Center.
Dr. Reid highly recommended a single embryo transfer. On my final visit with her when graduating from RSC, the last thing she said to me was, "If you come back for more, put them in one at a time.".
Foster City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center.

IUI, 2 IVF
She [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] will work with you to find a tailored approach...When the first round of IVF stimulation didn't produce as many eggs as hoped for, Dr. Pittenger-Reid was proactive in suggesting a new drug protocol for the second round... said that she nearly always only recommends elective single embryo transfer, over transferring multiple embryos...always did an excellent job of explaining the procedures and risks involved. She was warm and caring everytime my partner or I spoke with her, and went above and beyond to talk with us by phone and in-person when we had questions or concerns throughout the process.
Laura, the nurse and case manager [at Reproductive Science Center], was highly responsive and a good communicator. She would often call with information and then follow up the call with typed instructions via the patient portal, to which I could always refer. She showed empathy throughout the process and is clearly passionate about assisting patients with what can be a highly emotional process...We used a third-party guarantee/refund multi-cycle package that cost roughly $35,000 upfront but covered 2 cycles and would refund 50% if no baby. This was an easy process as all billing from the clinic then went through the company with which we were contracted for the multi-cycle package. Genetic testing, embryo shipping for genetic testing, and prescriptions were additional fees paid to other third parties.
IUI, 2 IVF
Dr. Pittenger-Reid was very helpful in crafting an IVF strategy and explained things every step of the way. She was flexible when we didn't get as strong of a result as hoped for and tailored the protocol during the process. She is clearly passionate about her specialty and shows genuine empathy and compassion for her patients. I appreciate that she called me directly when there was news to share, rather than having my case manager simply type a response through the patient portal (which could've left questions unanswered). When it was clear that we needed to change course, Dr. Pittenger-Reid was proactive in coming up with another course of action. When other unanticipated things came up, she was communicative.
Don't be afraid to share your full medical history with Dr. Pittenger-Reid. She will work with you to find a tailored approach.
Dr. Pittenger-Reid always did an excellent job of explaining the procedures and risks involved. She was warm and caring everytime my partner or I spoke with her, and went above and beyond to talk with us by phone and in-person when we had questions or concerns throughout the process.
When the first round of IVF stimulation didn't produce as many eggs as hoped for, Dr. Pittenger-Reid was proactive in suggesting a new drug protocol for the second round. First round included Gonal-F, Menopur, and Ganirelix with Lupron for the trigger. Subsequent round included Micro-dose Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur, with Novarel as the trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Rueckheim)
Laura, the nurse and case manager, was highly responsive and a good communicator. She would often call with information and then follow up the call with typed instructions via the patient portal, to which I could always refer. She showed empathy throughout the process and is clearly passionate about assisting patients with what can be a highly emotional process.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Everyone at RSC Bay Area seems to communicate with one another and work well together. While my primary physician did not perform the procedures on me, the attending doctors knew my background and were compassionate and skilled. When a mistake was made initially with my insurance, the clinic bent over backwards to correct it. One possible issue for some patients is that all procedures (retrieval and transfer) are done at the San Ramon location. Also, all weekend monitoring visits are at the San Ramon location, which can be far for some patients to drive, especially if the monitoring appointment is at or before 8:00am. However, it is nice to know that eggs/embryos are not being transfered to different locations and that there is a centralized location for anything beyond "routine" visits.
Dr. Pittenger-Reid said that she nearly always only recommends elective single embryo transfer, over transferring multiple embryos. This may differ with patient age, but if you are in your 30s, the clinic will likely only transfer one embryo. However, with the use of preimplantation genetic testing, the embryo that is selected for transfer is very likely to be healthy and to implant.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Sara [Pittenger-Reid] is a good doctor. She has good bed side manners. Very patient nature. She agreed to accommodate me for IUI treatment when no doctor was available the day my IUI was to be performed...After my negative pregnancy test I never received any change of protocol. I would have appreciated if I was told what best can be done for my case. But unfortunately that did not happen...Clomid on day 3 of cycle for next 5 days. Ovulation ultrasound 2 days prior to IUI treatment. Ovidrel 250 mcg subcutaneously 2 days prior to IUI. the protocol was done to help increase chances of getting successful. IUI treatment. But resulted in negative pregnancy.
I was really surprised to see the apathy of the staff at San Ramon office [of Reproductive Science Center] when I was informed I cannot have a doctor for my treatment. So a clinical assistant will perform my treatment. I had to request many times to provide me a doctor for my treatment. So finally Dr. Sara agreed to perform my IUI, since she was the doctor who had done my initial consultation. As a patient this is a emotional and financially draining journey and we expect the treatment to be performed by a specialist. Since all their other doctors are busy with surgeries on a day does not mean the treatment can be done by an assistant.
2019 - 2020
Dr. Sara is good. But I believe if she would have taken more interest in my case. After my negative pregnancy test I never received any change of protocol. I would have appreciated if I was told what best can be done for my case. But unfortunately that did not happen.
Please take more interest in the patients cases. And give them a convincing plan and help patients with their dream of a baby. It is a very emotional journey.
Dr. Sara is a good doctor. She has good bed side manners. Very patient nature. She agreed to accommodate me for IUI treatment when no doctor was available the day my IUI was to be performed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Marlen)
Nurse really lacked proper communication. I had to follow up every time for my case. I was really shocked when I knew that my IUI will be performed by a Clinical Assistant since no doctor was available for my day. I had to request to get me a doctor for my treatment. Staff is good and approachable.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The front desk is nice and helpful. The clinic is clean and well maintained. There were few patients before me on the day of treatment and everyone was addressed as per their calendar. New patients should always ask the protocol which will be used for their treatment. Please ask many questions.
For IUI it was $1300. This included the pre-cycle monitoring. But medicines, shots, blood work was all separate.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
I was really surprised to see the apathy of the staff at San Ramon office when I was informed I cannot have a doctor for my treatment. So a clinical assistant will perform my treatment. I had to request many times to provide me a doctor for my treatment. So finally Dr. Sara agreed to perform my IUI, since she was the doctor who had done my initial consultation. As a patient this is a emotional and financially draining journey and we expect the treatment to be performed by a specialist. Since all their other doctors are busy with surgeries on a day does not mean the treatment can be done by an assistant.
Foster City

She [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] didn't know her own stats in terms of success, couldn't point us to specific reasons for decisions beyond "usually" and "probably fine..." ... We found her indifference to doing a dna fragmentation test on my husband's sperm with a known varicocele ridiculous. ... it was this general indifference and lack of knowledge about the grading of my eggs pre-ICSI (she hadn't even checked before our wtf conversation, had no idea if I had an egg quality issue) that sent us right out the door.
Multiple locations and obviously very hardworking staff. I enjoyed the support staff, always. However, they're hard to get ahold of sometimes. ... Emails to billing can languish for weeks before they actually get you the thing they said they would. FYI I have heard there are other, more 'pushy' doctors at RSC that I would probably have enjoyed more. ... Marlen [nurse] is a lovely and kind person, but her emails often rambled and left me confused.
Dr. Reid is wonderful to talk to and I bet makes a great friend. However, as a doctor, we found her to be almost lazy in her approach. She didn't know her own stats in terms of success, couldn't point us to specific reasons for decisions beyond "usually" and "probably fine..." My partner is a scientist and Dr. Reid made us realize what we wanted was an active, curious doctor who revels in data and is up on the latest research. If that's you, steer clear of Dr. Reid. However, if you're the sort who doesn't want to know reasons for things or dive into information, she'd be great.
I'd say I'd only go to her for IUI, and not if you're curious about potential diagnostic issues that haven't been discovered yet.
Dr. Reid is extremely personable and kind.
antagonist protocol with Gonal F and Menopur for stimming- and a fairly high does, I think Menopur was 450. Cetrotide for hanging onto eggs and a regular trigger.
Marlen is a lovely and kind person, but her emails often rambled and left me confused. Again, we're a pretty Type A couple when in IVF, we've learned-- and her emails kind of wandered. Same with phone calls. At the end of them I was always like: wait, so what do you need again? Really all I wanted was a bulleted list of things to do. Later, Marlen was out on vacation and a super baller detailed nurse (I think named Lauren) filled in and she was much more my speed. If you go here, ask for Lauren!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Multiple locations and obviously very hardworking staff. I enjoyed the support staff, always. However, they're hard to get ahold of sometimes. Once, a nurse called me with instructions the day before my retrieval and when I called back with a follow-up question, no one returned my call. Emails to billing can languish for weeks before they actually get you the thing they said they would. FYI I have heard there are other, more 'pushy' doctors at RSC that I would probably have enjoyed more. One last thing: We found her indifference to doing a dna fragmentation test on my husband's sperm with a known varicocele ridiculous. Some other clinics say it's a freaking mandatory test, especially with a varicocele. An SA test only shows how the sperm *looks*, not how it is, and it was this general indifference and lack of knowledge about the grading of my eggs pre-ICSI (she hadn't even checked before our wtf conversation, had no idea if I had an egg quality issue) that sent us right out the door.
A cycle was $15,000 plus $4000 for meds. They've just raised their prices.
She preferred single transfer, but we never got that far as our cycle resulted in just one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
At retrieval, we were told someone would call us between 8-9 a.m. on day 3. When no one called, I was practically hyperventilating. Dr. Reid eventually called back to my message of "oh God is everything okay" and she was clearly annoyed with me, kept talking over me by saying they don't call on day 3 anymore. That's great for her, but since we were obviously told the wrong thing by someone at retrieval, you'd think she'd have been a little more understanding and less annoyed with the phone call. fwiw, I didn't need a phone call from her at that point, just a nurse calling saying "oh I'm so sorry, someone misspoke, we'll call you X day" would have been enough. Instead I was irritated by her irritation, and then the release of "oh good the eggs are okay so far" rush had me in tears at the end of the call. Way to make a mistake feel way worse.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr Reid, individually was awesome. She seemed really genuine and easy-going. She listened to us and validated our concerns. I felt like she was invested in us and truly wanted to see us succeed. I wish that I loved the rest of her office staff as much as I enjoyed her...We did 3 induced ovulation and 2 IUIs using letrazole and an Hcg trigger shot...we felt very supported and able to have a candid conversation. She took her time and did not rush us.
A few times I was told [by staff at Reproductive Science Center] that I would be contacted by the end of the day with instructions about time sensitive meds, and was never called. I ended up have to call my nurse coordinator off hours to get instructions. I also sent them a medical release waiver when I changed providers and they never sent over my medical records...Clinic is nice and new with a comfortable waiting area. It was a peaceful environment but several team members were borderline rude. One of the phlebotomists seemed irritated frequently. The US techs were really nice and friendly.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I really loved working with Dr Reid, it was just her support staff that I didn’t really trust. The communication was poor and several times I was told “well call you by the end of the day with instructions for meds tonight” and I didn’t get a call, so missed instructions for time sensitive meds. So you must be proactive with the support staff, call them, don’t wait for them to call you.
When we met with Dr Reid we felt very supported and able to have a candid conversation. She took her time and did not rush us. She seemed very down to earth and easy to relate to. Once treatment started we didn’t see her or hear from her again until my 5th “not pregnant” pregnancy test. We only dealt with our nurse coordinator and office staff after our initial consult.
We did 3 induced ovulation and 2 IUIs using letrazole and an Hcg trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Ruckheim)
Laura seemed organized but she wasn’t always patient with me. I felt like she interrupted me frequently and sometimes gave me an attitude.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
My insurance covered diagnostics. I think an induced ovulation cycle was about $200 and and IUI was about $800
Mandatory
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
A few times I was told that I would be contacted by the end of the day with instructions about time sensitive meds, and was never called. I ended up have to call my nurse coordinator off hours to get instructions. I also sent them a medical release waiver when I changed providers and they never sent over my medical records.

IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
We walked away both having positive impression of our initial chat with Dr Reid. She was elaborate and able to explain everything clearly. We felt free to ask any questions we planned to. She was on top of her material and able to answer every single question.... Update: our first transfer was not successful. Our second transfer was 2 days ago. Our positive impression on Dr Reid is still the same. Would still recommend her.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Our experience with Dr Reid was positive so far. We are about to start the 1st cycle in a few weeks, so it's too soon to rate further. However, I can provide something about office. RSC at San Ramon office was very well run (which is where all the major work is done), while Foster City office is only a satellite office to serve patients in the peninsula. Foster City office was not well run at all, my blood sample was bad and I had to redo at San Ramon; this happened again for my GC a few months later. It also looks like they have let go some of the staff in Foster City, and hopefully this office will improve.
Our cycle has not yet started, so I'd rather not giving feedbacks yet. I can have one feedback. Please see why the Foster City office ruined both my blood sample and my GC's sample, a few months apart. Update: our first transfer was not successful. Our second transfer was 2 days ago. Our positive impression on Dr Reid is still the same. Would still recommend her.
We walked away both having positive impression of our initial chat with Dr Reid. She was elaborate and able to explain everything clearly. We felt free to ask any questions we planned to. She was on top of her material and able to answer every single question. Update: Our first transfer was not successful. Our second transfer was 2 days ago, so it's still too soon to tell. So far, she communicated well and everything is aligned with our expectation.
My GC would be a better person to answer this.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Sandra (our nurse/case manager))
I liked her as a person. However, my blood sample was ruined and not explained properly. A few months later, my GC's sample was again ruined. Thankfully it happened in Foster City. If it had happened in San Ramon (their main site), I would've changed the clinic.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
- Local to Bay Area. They said I only needed to show up in person 1-2 twice, so I thought a local office was not that important. I've shown up numerous times so far, so I'm very glad that we picked a local clinic. - RSC was in Progyny, my insurance network. However Progyny coverage is unclear. - RSC had good reputation. A friend of mine had a baby thru RSC not long ago. Despite some hiccups, RSC so far hasn't majorly changed my opinion yet. - Foster City office had some hiccups, and they've changed my nurse without letting me know and I had to specifically ask. At least I think they quickly fix problems before the problems get out of hand.
The first consultation with Dr Reid was $375 (I got this for free through Surrogacy conference). So far I've spent at least $40K on RSC-related services. I got 11 tested embryos, so I guess I'm happy so far.
Most doctors I've talked to were against multiple transfer, while Dr Reid was very well aware of IP motivation and explained this clearly and unbiasedly in my opinion. This is among reasons we like Dr Reid.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
Described earlier. The center at Foster City had my blood sample and my GC blood sample spoiled twice at 2 separate occasions. They've taken steps to fix things I think.
San Ramon

Dr Reid has quite a gentle bed-side manner... Limited access to her. Aside from initial consultation, will only see her at egg retrieval (if scheduling fits) and embryo transfer (if I specifically schedule it for a day that she works at my site.)... Most appointments are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.)
I found the exclusive use of email and voicemails to communicate with my nurse care coordinator off-putting....Most appointments [Reproductive Science Center] are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.)... * well oiled machine * competitive pricing - especially stacked against bigger names
Quite kind, delicate and quiet bedside manner. Limited access to her. Aside from initial consultation, will only see her at egg retrieval (if scheduling fits) and embryo transfer (if I specifically schedule it for a day that she works at my site.)
* do all your homework ahead of time. It'll help you not feel lost in the process. * do not expect undue hand-holding. You won't be seeing the doctor very often.
Mixed bag. Most appointments are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.) Most of the personnel are quite kind, but it's obvious you're just the umpteenth person trying to conceive that has paraded before them. Dr Reid has quite a gentle bed-side manner, which is appreciated. Yet the parade of different medical professionals I see at appointments does not feel very human focused. It's a very well run machine, though.
antagonistic w/ lupron trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
* well oiled machine * competitive pricing - especially stacked against bigger names such as Stanford/UCSF * you'll mostly be treated kindly by a parade of different care providers you'll barely know. * the process is dehumanizing but not demoralizing.
$ 7,500 ivf w/ icsi $4000 - frozen embryo transfer $1000 embryo freezing $1500 PGS
eSET strongly encouraged by doctor (especially with PGS tested embryos) and advised or increased complications during twin pregnancies.
Foster City
Dr. Reid is very personable and when I speak with her she always makes me feel like she has my care in her hands... Dr Reid works with a great te if doctors and they all took great care of me through both of my retrievals. I appreciate Dr. Reid and her guidance throughout the IVF process and our journey to have a baby.... After retrieval I had myectomy to remove fibroids and hysteroscopy to removed scarring. Next step is mock transfer then FET transfer.
We applied for a double retrieval and paid $36k. We opted for PGS testing which was a separate cost of about $4k. Medicine/hormones were also an additional cost of about $10k.... Laura [Reproductive Science Center - Foster City] made all of my appointments fit my work schedule. I had a favorite sonographer (I can’t remember her name) but she was the best! She took the time to explain what she saw in my ultrasounds. I loved every time I had her and would ask to have her for each ultrasound if she was at my location and on schedule.
Ask a lot of questions. Ask about the different options. Be open to Dr. Reid’s advice. Be sure to weigh out your options before making any decisions.
The very first cycle started with bcp protocol before starting stimulating hormones but that didn’t work because I developed an ovarian cyst and so we skipped a cycle until cyst disappeared. The 2nd cycle I started with estrogen priming. I was on stimulating hormones for 14 days. My first retrieval yielded 14 follicles, 8 fertilized, 5 made it to blastocyst, 5 sent for PGS testing, all came back abnormal. The 3rd cycle was exactly the same as the 2nd except I I had 17 follicles, 10 fertilized, 5 made it blastocyst, 3 sent for PGS testing, 1 embryo came back normal. After retrieval I had myectomy to remove fibroids and hysteroscopy to removed scarring. Next step is mock transfer then FET transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Applinger)
Laura made all of my appointments fit my work schedule. I had a favorite sonographer (I can’t remember her name) but she was the best! She took the time to explain what she saw in my ultrasounds. I loved every time I had her and would ask to have her for each ultrasound if she was at my location and on schedule.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Be on time. Be respectful and kind to the employees. They are here to help you on this journey. Be honest, open and most of all patient. The journey of infertility and IUI/IVF is an emotional one.
Dr Reid will only do a single embryo transfer because of the removal uterine fibroids.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She's [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] very thoughtful and comprehensive in her thinking. She tries to set expectations and gives some rationales when things don't go as plan. She's willing to think outside the box and incorporate ideas from other physicians within her practice as well as from her previous clinics and any research you bring in. She may not always follow or endorse things, but she's willing to consider it and give a rationale why she thinks it will or won't be beneficial in this scenario.
You don't get a ton of face time with your doctor [at Reproductive Science Center] . You may or not see them at all once your cycle starts. However, every physician with whom I've interacted has been kind, reassuring, and competent....12k for ivf (not including meds) 17k for freeze all with PGS (not including meds)...I was verbally told they were drawing a beta when my period was a week late (getting ready to start a cycle), but only drew estrogen and progesterone.
European, Middle Eastern
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She's very thoughtful and comprehensive in her thinking. She tries to set expectations and gives some rationales when things don't go as plan. She's willing to think outside the box and incorporate ideas from other physicians within her practice as well as from her previous clinics and any research you bring in. She may not always follow or endorse things, but she's willing to consider it and give a rationale why she thinks it will or won't be beneficial in this scenario.
Become friends with your nurse, who will be your primary point of contact.
She's kind, thoughtful, and funny. It feels as though she cares if you're pregnant-- not just for her success rates but because she wants to help grow families.
We started with an estrogen priming antagonist with hgh protocol and that cycle was converted to iui due to lack of synchronization. Then we went to micro dose Lupron with hgh and had a chemical pregnancy (11R, 8M, 4F, transferred 2 at day 3, nothing to freeze). We did some further work up to make sure we weren't missing anything. Our next cycle would be a micros dose Lupron with hgh again, but was canceled at baseline due to a cyst. Final cycle was exactly like the second (MDL with HGH). We had 8 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilize, 7 fabulous at day 3, all gone by day 5. Nothing to transfer or freeze. While she does not know why we don't make blasts, she's not pushing us to cycle again. She assumes it's poor egg quality as all sperm tests came back completely normal (including DNA frag). She's now recommending donor eggs or donor sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
Sandra is prompt on responses, and gives great updates. Sometimes it's frustrating to have questions be filtered through her-- it's hard to get an answer "straight from the horse's mouth", but Sandra does a great job interpreting answers.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
You don't get a ton of face time with your doctor. You may or not see them at all once your cycle starts. However, every physician with whom I've interacted has been kind, reassuring, and competent.
They prefer eSET, but we transferred 2 day 3 embryos. I'm not sure what they would have said if we had gotten to day 5 blasts or had any left to freeze in our case.
Foster City

Dr Reid was amazing throughout this process. We started our treatment with IUI and after 2 unsuccessul rounds we wanted to change courses. Dr. Reid throughly explained our other options and supported us with all options. She was neutral throughout the decision making process and did not push us one way or the other.... She made sure to schedule us on a day when she was doing embryo transfers so we could see her familiar face. At every step of our journey she impressed us with her compassion for what we were going through and knowledge of her field!
he clinic [Reproductive Science Center] is very well organized. All the nurses and staff are very friendly and willing to answer questions. When we started each different course of treatment (IUI vs IVF) we were required to watch videos explaining the treatment. At first I was a bit resentful of having to watch videos about our treatment but they were actually very educational and helpful! The only drawback of this location is that although M-F I was seen at the Foster City location, you have to go to their main location in San Ramon on weekends and holidays. That location is very nice though so all in all not a bad drawback.
Investment Banker
Dr Reid was amazing throughout this process. We started our treatment with IUI and after 2 unsuccessul rounds we wanted to change courses. Dr. Reid throughly explained our other options and supported us with all options. She was neutral throughout the decision making process and did not push us one way or the other. We ended up choosing to do IVF and were so happy we did. She was kind and patient with all of our many questions and helped us understand what to expect along the way. She made sure to schedule us on a day when she was doing embryo transfers so we could see her familiar face. At every step of our journey she impressed us with her compassion for what we were going through and knowledge of her field! We are now expecting a healthy baby boy and are thrilled with our decision to seek treatment from Dr. Reid.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The clinic is very well organized. All the nurses and staff are very friendly and willing to answer questions. When we started each different course of treatment (IUI vs IVF) we were required to watch videos explaining the treatment. At first I was a bit resentful of having to watch videos about our treatment but they were actually very educational and helpful! The only drawback of this location is that although M-F I was seen at the Foster City location, you have to go to their main location in San Ramon on weekends and holidays. That location is very nice though so all in all not a bad drawback.
We had an insurance benefit through Progeny and Dr. Reid's clinic was one of the clinics they recommended and was covered through our insurance benefit.
Dr. Reid explained that they support eSET in most cases especially ours. After understanding the risks that accompany multiples I can understand their support of this practice.
Foster City

From our very first appointment, my husband and I felt like we understood the plan Dr. Reid had for us. Any questions we had were answered clearly and completely. Throughout my treatment she was there to answer any questions quickly for us and we never felt like we were wandering blindly. We lost our twins from our first transfer at 23 weeks, and truly felt like she cared for us and them, going as far as providing us with some information about what happened so that we could understand th medical side better. We started our FET protocol 3 months later and she was so supportive and helpful. We could not have asked for a better doctor.
There are multiple doctors at this clinic [RSC-Foster City], with multiple locations. They have a main office located in East Bay, where all of their procedures and done. This means that your primary doctor may not be the one to do your egg retrieval or transfer. This wasn’t a worry for us, all of the doctors were wonderful to us, but may be to some. Dr Reid was able to schedule our FET when she would be working in the clinic, which as lovely.
The same as I would tell anyone considering fertility treatments, ask questions. Lots of questions. Do you own research and understand what you are putting your body through.
She provided my husband and I with answers for any questions we had, support when needed, was there for us 100% of the way through our treatments. We truly felt like she was rooting for us. Further to that, when we lost our twins (23 weeks into my first pregnancy from our fresh cycle) she truly cared and tried to help us find a reason, even though she didn’t need to.
I don’t remember much about our fresh cycle, only that I had a great response to all of the medications I was given and my body produced plenty of healthy eggs. I did have nausea as a side effect, but in my opinion, that was par for the course. My egg retrieval went very well, 21 eggs retrieved and ICSI was used to inseminate. Because of poor sperm quality we had 4 good quality embryos, 2 of which were transferred on day 5, while 2 were frozen. The two that were transferred, resulted in perfectly healthy boy/girl twins. Unfortunately, due to preterm labor and rupture, they were born far too early at 23 weeks. We began FET protocol roughly 3 month later, once I was cleared by my OB. I was on estrogen to suppress my ovaries and boost my lining. I was also started on progesterone suppositories but switched to progesterone in oil shots, as I was finding the mess from the suppositories too much. My Frozen embryo transfer resulted in a healthy baby girl, born at 39 weeks exactly.
Laura is an incredible communicator and quickly returns phone calls. She answers questions easily and will quickly get back to you if she is unsure of an answer. She also did our injection class and the information she provided was so helpful and made our nightly injections go so much smoother. She is compassionate and caring and incredibly excited for us during our cycles and subsequent pregnancies.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
There are multiple doctors at this clinic, with multiple locations. They have a main office located in East Bay, where all of their procedures and done. This means that your primary doctor may not be the one to do your egg retrieval or transfer. This wasn’t a worry for us, all of the doctors were wonderful to us, but may be to some. Dr Reid was able to schedule our FET when she would be working in the clinic, which as lovely.
Single transfer was much more preferred by Dr Reid, using multiple transfers for specific reasons such as egg and/or embryo quality and maternal age. She explained that multiple pregnancies come with high risks that need to be weighed out carefully.

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
She [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] has a great ability to connect with her patients and clearly understand things in a way that is easy to comprehend...Dr. Reid (and her nurse Laura) personalized and humanized the entire process. They were patient with me and took the time to understand what I was needed and how I could best be supported during the processes. During my first cycle (which had to be canceled), their follow up was so genuine. You could tell in their conversations that my set back was also theirs based on their words and actions (emails, phone calls, office visits)...
The staff is so great at RSC in San Jose. My one suggestion would be to upgrade the facility (especially in comparison to the other RSC facilities) if possible...Very easy - I was told up front that I would have to schedule between 7-9 AM and the calendar I was given by my nurse told me when you begin to block my personal calendar to prepare accordingly. Each time I needed to schedule, I was able to get the time I needed without a problem...
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Reid is the best doctor I have ever worked with. Her care and concern for her patients is incredible. She has a great ability to connect with her patients and clearly understand things in a way that is easy to comprehend. I feel lucky to have been/continue to be in her care. I know she will always be routing for the best outcome for me and my family.
My piece of advice would be to request her directly. The RSC practice is set up to have patients see a number of care givers throughout the bay area - my advice would be to select Dr. Reid as your doctor, even if that means driving to Foster City to be her patient.
First Cycle was intended to be an egg preservation cycle. I used Menopor/Gonal F; by day 11 of injections my follicles were not growing anymore and the decision was made to cancel this cycle. Second Cycle was interned to be a fresh transfer/embryo freeze. I used Lupron Injections during the cycle and stimulated with Menopor/Gonal F and then added a growth hormone during the last 6 days of injections. Result - 11 eggs retrieved; 8 mature; 6 fertilized; 4 became embryos - 1 Fresh Transfer (Miscarried after 7 weeks), 3 embryos frozen. PGS done. Third Cycle; Frozen Transfer - haven't done yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Ruckheim )
Laura is incredible. She is caring, organized, compassionate and very easy to talk to. You truly feel like she wants her patients to become pregnant. When things got difficult, I felt nothing but support from Laura. She is literally the best!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Science Center.
There were set fees for each process and I was set up with a financial counselor to discuss the fees/structure. She was very helpful.
Los Gatos

I always felt that she fully listened to me and my concerns, and took me seriously... I have not yet had a live birth but will stay with Dr. Reid until we decide to stop IVF treatments and change course.
The doctors at RSC are in different clinics on different days... the doctors meet every afternoon to discuss results for each patient as a group, so you are getting the perspective and experience of many different doctors, not just one.
Dr. Reid has been a compassionate and trustworthy doctor. I always felt that she fully listened to me and my concerns, and took me seriously as an intelligent patient who wanted more information. She treated me as an individual and was willing to alter protocols based on my concerns if the research indicated it. She shared research with me and was willing to say that she needed time to think and research different methods to individualize my treatment and got back to me with results. She never rushed me out of my appointments (which means she often ran late with others, but I was ok with that). She was the one to call with any results and was available to answer questions and talk me through results. I appreciate her perspective as a female fertility specialist after seeing many male specialists who never quite answered my questions or wanted to explain things on a deeper level. I have not yet had a live birth but will stay with Dr. Reid until we decide to stop IVF treatments and change course.
The doctors at RSC are in different clinics on different days and rotate weekends. That meant that Dr. Reid was not necessarily the one to perform a retrieval or transfer if it fell on a day where she was not in the main clinic. However, all of the other doctors I have worked with at RSC so far (Dr. Wachs, Dr. Rosenbluth, Dr.HInckley) have been wonderful. If you only want to see one person for all appointments and procedures this may not be the place for you. I really appreciated that the doctors meet every afternoon to discuss results for each patient as a group, so you are getting the perspective and experience of many different doctors, not just one.
My care team always treated me as an individual and never confused me with someone else or as a "product". My care was always individualized and I always had calls and emails returned within a day or two. Dr. Reid was always the one to call with results of egg retrievals, fertilization reports, genetic testing results, and pregnancy test results.
Very organized and great and responding quickly with detailed answers to any questions. I appreciate Laura's compassionate manner and always felt treated like a human with feelings when talking about difficult results.
Monitoring appointments are only done in the mornings. I have to drive a ways in heavy traffic to reach the clinic, so the early morning appointments worked well for me as it helped me miss the worst traffic.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
She's [Dr. Sara Pittenger] up to date on current advancements in fertility and highly knowledgeable about all aspects of her field. She didn't coddle me (which I liked) and was genuine in all communication. I felt respected and validated as a patient and relieved to be confident I was in good hands...She was real and told us all news and updates in a clear and to the point, realistic, but warm manner. Excellent balance which I found necessary for our experience.
They're [Reproductive Science Center] a well oiled machine at RSC. You may not see your assigned doctor for all procedures, but you're in good hands regardless. They all work as a team and are competent, experienced doctors...[nurses had] Very good communication skills and knowledge of ferltity treatments and my situation...I'm polycyclstic, so all meds and procedures were closely monitored to deal with my eggs. We'll tweak the process for the next round so we have more, better quality embryos.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
She's up to date on current advancements in fertility and highly knowledgeable about all aspects of her field. She didn't coddle me (which I liked) and was genuine in all communication. I felt respected and validated as a patient and relieved to be confident I was in good hands.
If you're impatient about the IVF process, calm down. If there are setbacks and delays, they're for your own good.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura )
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
They're a well oiled machine at RSC. You may not see your assigned doctor for all procedures, but you're in good hands regardless. They all work as a team and are competent, experienced doctors.
My insurance covered a lifetime maximum of $10,000. We went above this amount.
They advise eSET, but allowed us to transfer two given the roller coaster of a cycle we had gone through to increase my chances. I appreciated them allowing us to transfer both.
San Ramon

Dr Pittenger-Reid is a very positive doctor, which I think is very helpful during fertility treatment. She always made me feel like things were going well. When they didn't during our first cycle, she was compassionate, but still very positive in looking ahead. She makes her decisions driven by science and is great at explaining everything. When I had extra questions she was quick to call to answer all of them.
Dr. Reid-Pittinger is very friendly and easy to talk to. She never made us feel rushed and answered all questions. She was always familiar with me as a patient and I always felt like I was in great care...The San Jose office of RSC is small so it is easy to get to know the staff. Suzi at the front is so welcoming and warm. They are very good at drawing blood and are open early. I almost never waited more than a minute for my morning blood draws. The sonographers are all warm and seem experienced.
Dr Pittenger-Reid is a very positive Doctor, which I think is very helpful during fertility treatment. She always made me feel like things were going well. When they didn't during our first cycle, she was compassionate, but still very positive in looking ahead. She makes her decisions driven by science and is great at explaining everything. When I had extra questions she was quick to call to answer all of them.
The group is a large group and all procedures are done in San Ramon. Depending on your cycle and schedule, she may not do your procedures, but all of Doctors I met were great.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Carla Roa )
The nurses make most of the phone calls to let you know about changes and plans. They have a very specific schedule so you know when you will hear from them. They also have a secure email system so send everything by email as well. I had a 2 nurse team and they were both great.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
I had insurance so this is not relevant
Los Gatos

Dr. Reid was kind and personable and took a great deal of time to address my questions and concerns. ... She made herself available for discussions in person and by phone and took my input into account. Dr. Reid addressed my situation without judgement and helped me to feel excited about moving forward on my journey into motherhood. ... Dr. Reid was compassionate and thorough and kept me apprised of every step in the process.
The clinic [Reproductive Science Center] was clean and welcoming. ... The environment was designed to promote calm and relaxation and put me at ease when the stress and nerves were running high. ... The staff was organized and very professional. ... The nursing staff was knowledgeable and communicative. ... Do your research and be your own advocate. ... I completed an unmedicated IUI cycle ...
Dr. Reid was compassionate and thorough and kept me apprised of every step in the process. She made herself available for discussions in person and by phone and took my input into account. Dr. Reid addressed my situation without judgement and helped me to feel excited about moving forward on my journey into motherhood.
Do your research and be your own advocate.
I completed an unmedicated IUI cycle which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Liz)
The nursing staff was knowledgeable and communicative.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The clinic was clean and welcoming. The staff was organized and very professional. The environment was designed to promote calm and relaxation and put me at ease when the stress and nerves were running high.
San Ramon

Dr. Reid is incredibly thorough. She helped me stay calm and positive. I really appreciated her honest approach and proactivity. She really cares about you as a person and help to dispel my self diagnostic fears...Dr. Pittinger-Reid is fantastic. She is patient, and very calm, cool, and collected. She is happy to answer questions, and understands that this can be emotionally and physically demanding.
The nursing staff [at Reproductive Science Center] is okay. Not as communicative as I would have liked. I think sometimes they forget this is new for most patients, and we need a lot of guidance and coaching...My initial intake paperwork was misplaced, and I had to send it in a second time...The physical building in foster city is nearly impossible to find. There's virtually no signage and I had to ask multiple people to help me find it.
Be as open and honest as possible. It's not always an easy subject to broach, but it's important that your physician has all of the information, even if you think it's not pertinent.
The nursing staff is okay. Not as communicative as I would have liked. I think sometimes they forget this is new for most patients, and we need a lot of guidance and coaching.
Foster City
I felt like a human when 1) the doctor[Dr. Pittenger-Reid] made it a point to answer all my questions without hurrying me along. I felt like a number because 1) I’ve seen the doctor exactly 4 times for an entire cycle of Egg retrieval, frozen embryo transfer and anembryonic gestation leading to miscarriage. ... 2) Chasing after bloodwork results. 3) the patronizing manner in which my meds were changed for the 2nd cycle without consulting me and the nurse coordinator using a decade old article to fob me off when I’d read NIH papers from the past few years that clearly refute the article.
RSC is a well run machine. There won’t be too many blatantly unprofessional scenarios. But like most establishments, there is a patronizing undertone. I still haven’t seen bills from my past cycle. So I don’t know if I overpaid or have a balance going into cycle 2. I only get to see the doctor a view times. The vast majority of interactions is with the nurse coordinator. ... Nobody informed me of chanfebin drug protocol for second stim cycle until I noticed it in the prescription and asked them about it. ...
Good communicator and very compassionate and delicate bedside manner, which is very much appreciated. Not rigorous in terms providing data to back up protocol adjustments. Had not read the latest NIH papers regarding one of the additions to my stim cycle.
Do your own homework. You won’t be told the ugly naked truth and unless you do your own homework, you won’t know what questions to ask and might be surprised by the outcome.
I felt like a human when 1) the doctor made it a point to answer all my questions without hurrying me along. I felt like a number because 1) I’ve seen the doctor exactly 4 times for an entire cycle of Egg retrieval, frozen embryo transfer and anembryonic gestation leading to miscarriage. Both the FET and polyectomy were done with other doctors due to scheduling. 2) Chasing after bloodwork results. 3) the patronizing manner in which my meds were changed for the 2nd cycle without consulting me and the nurse coordinator using a decade old article to fob me off when I’d read NIH papers from the past few years that clearly refute the article.
GonalF, Menopur, Cetrotide, Lupron trigger. About par in terms of result. 2nd cycle, up the GonalF dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
I had to be on top of things. Otherwise, things, especially scheduling, would fall through the cracks.
Egg retrieval $5,000 Frozen embryo transfer $3,000 Drugs: $3,800