9.8

UCSF

Sara Pittenger-Reid works at

1098 Foster City Boulevard
Foster City, CA 94404

Dr. Sara [Pittenger-Reid] is a good doctor. She has good bed side manners. Very patient nature. She agreed to accommodate me for IUI treatment when no doctor was available the day my IUI was to be performed...After my negative pregnancy test I never received any change of protocol. I would have appreciated if I was told what best can be done for my case. But unfortunately that did not happen...Clomid on day 3 of cycle for next 5 days. Ovulation ultrasound 2 days prior to IUI treatment. Ovidrel 250 mcg subcutaneously 2 days prior to IUI. the protocol was done to help increase chances of getting successful. IUI treatment. But resulted in negative pregnancy.
I was really surprised to see the apathy of the staff at San Ramon office [of Reproductive Science Center] when I was informed I cannot have a doctor for my treatment. So a clinical assistant will perform my treatment. I had to request many times to provide me a doctor for my treatment. So finally Dr. Sara agreed to perform my IUI, since she was the doctor who had done my initial consultation. As a patient this is a emotional and financially draining journey and we expect the treatment to be performed by a specialist. Since all their other doctors are busy with surgeries on a day does not mean the treatment can be done by an assistant.
How was your experience with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr. Sara is good. But I believe if she would have taken more interest in my case. After my negative pregnancy test I never received any change of protocol. I would have appreciated if I was told what best can be done for my case. But unfortunately that did not happen.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Please take more interest in the patients cases. And give them a convincing plan and help patients with their dream of a baby. It is a very emotional journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr. Sara is a good doctor. She has good bed side manners. Very patient nature. She agreed to accommodate me for IUI treatment when no doctor was available the day my IUI was to be performed.
Describe the protocols Sara Pittenger-Reid used in your cycles at Reproductive Science Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Marlen)
Nurse really lacked proper communication. I had to follow up every time for my case. I was really shocked when I knew that my IUI will be performed by a Clinical Assistant since no doctor was available for my day. I had to request to get me a doctor for my treatment. Staff is good and approachable.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The front desk is nice and helpful. The clinic is clean and well maintained. There were few patients before me on the day of treatment and everyone was addressed as per their calendar. New patients should always ask the protocol which will be used for their treatment. Please ask many questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center.
For IUI it was $1300. This included the pre-cycle monitoring. But medicines, shots, blood work was all separate.
Describe Sara Pittenger-Reid's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Science Center.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
I was really surprised to see the apathy of the staff at San Ramon office when I was informed I cannot have a doctor for my treatment. So a clinical assistant will perform my treatment. I had to request many times to provide me a doctor for my treatment. So finally Dr. Sara agreed to perform my IUI, since she was the doctor who had done my initial consultation. As a patient this is a emotional and financially draining journey and we expect the treatment to be performed by a specialist. Since all their other doctors are busy with surgeries on a day does not mean the treatment can be done by an assistant.
Foster City

[Dr. Sara Pittenger-Reid] was very nice. We like her personally but after 5 failed tries, we have very mixed feelings. One thing we're particularly upset about is in the beginning, we asked whether we should buy insurance to protect against failure but then decided not to because Dr Reid assured us that success rate was very high.
[Reproductive Science Center has] Good system, online portals. Too expensive. After 5 failures, we asked for a discount and they gave 10%. can't say we're happy with that... given that we would've purchased the Guarantee program if we were not persuaded otherwise...Our samples were ruined twice (one with me, one with surrogate) at the Foster City office
Dr Reid was very nice. We like her personally but after 5 failed tries, we have very mixed feelings. One thing we're particularly upset about is in the beginning, we asked whether we should buy insurance to protect against failure but then decided not to because Dr Reid assured us that success rate was very high. In hindsight, we think it was a bad decision listening to her: we should've bought the insurance and saved a lot of money in our worst scenario: 5 failures and eventually gave up.
This is not Dr-Reid specific, but plan for the worst. We indeed failed 5 times and ran out of money.
Dr Reid is very nice, communicative and responsive.
We tried 5 times: Dr Reid did 3 transfers, and 2 other doctors did the other 2 transfers. I think the clinic did this way so that we don't completely blame Dr Reid. Our surrogate took a lot of medicine prescribed by Dr Reid that we were not aware of.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Science Center.
Our samples were ruined twice (one with me, one with surrogate) at the Foster City office. Very bad.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The cost was about 10% with US costs. We picked RSC because we believed they were of higher quality.
Yes, but in US, the practices are eSET. Looking back after 5 failures, we are not a fan of eSET.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
Our nurse was changed in the middle, and we were not notified in-time. We found out after they had to disclose, it seems.
Foster City
She [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] didn't know her own stats in terms of success, couldn't point us to specific reasons for decisions beyond "usually" and "probably fine..." ... We found her indifference to doing a dna fragmentation test on my husband's sperm with a known varicocele ridiculous. ... it was this general indifference and lack of knowledge about the grading of my eggs pre-ICSI (she hadn't even checked before our wtf conversation, had no idea if I had an egg quality issue) that sent us right out the door.
Multiple locations and obviously very hardworking staff. I enjoyed the support staff, always. However, they're hard to get ahold of sometimes. ... Emails to billing can languish for weeks before they actually get you the thing they said they would. FYI I have heard there are other, more 'pushy' doctors at RSC that I would probably have enjoyed more. ... Marlen [nurse] is a lovely and kind person, but her emails often rambled and left me confused.
Dr. Reid is wonderful to talk to and I bet makes a great friend. However, as a doctor, we found her to be almost lazy in her approach. She didn't know her own stats in terms of success, couldn't point us to specific reasons for decisions beyond "usually" and "probably fine..." My partner is a scientist and Dr. Reid made us realize what we wanted was an active, curious doctor who revels in data and is up on the latest research. If that's you, steer clear of Dr. Reid. However, if you're the sort who doesn't want to know reasons for things or dive into information, she'd be great.
I'd say I'd only go to her for IUI, and not if you're curious about potential diagnostic issues that haven't been discovered yet.
Dr. Reid is extremely personable and kind.
antagonist protocol with Gonal F and Menopur for stimming- and a fairly high does, I think Menopur was 450. Cetrotide for hanging onto eggs and a regular trigger.
Marlen is a lovely and kind person, but her emails often rambled and left me confused. Again, we're a pretty Type A couple when in IVF, we've learned-- and her emails kind of wandered. Same with phone calls. At the end of them I was always like: wait, so what do you need again? Really all I wanted was a bulleted list of things to do. Later, Marlen was out on vacation and a super baller detailed nurse (I think named Lauren) filled in and she was much more my speed. If you go here, ask for Lauren!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Multiple locations and obviously very hardworking staff. I enjoyed the support staff, always. However, they're hard to get ahold of sometimes. Once, a nurse called me with instructions the day before my retrieval and when I called back with a follow-up question, no one returned my call. Emails to billing can languish for weeks before they actually get you the thing they said they would. FYI I have heard there are other, more 'pushy' doctors at RSC that I would probably have enjoyed more. One last thing: We found her indifference to doing a dna fragmentation test on my husband's sperm with a known varicocele ridiculous. Some other clinics say it's a freaking mandatory test, especially with a varicocele. An SA test only shows how the sperm *looks*, not how it is, and it was this general indifference and lack of knowledge about the grading of my eggs pre-ICSI (she hadn't even checked before our wtf conversation, had no idea if I had an egg quality issue) that sent us right out the door.
A cycle was $15,000 plus $4000 for meds. They've just raised their prices.
She preferred single transfer, but we never got that far as our cycle resulted in just one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
At retrieval, we were told someone would call us between 8-9 a.m. on day 3. When no one called, I was practically hyperventilating. Dr. Reid eventually called back to my message of "oh God is everything okay" and she was clearly annoyed with me, kept talking over me by saying they don't call on day 3 anymore. That's great for her, but since we were obviously told the wrong thing by someone at retrieval, you'd think she'd have been a little more understanding and less annoyed with the phone call. fwiw, I didn't need a phone call from her at that point, just a nurse calling saying "oh I'm so sorry, someone misspoke, we'll call you X day" would have been enough. Instead I was irritated by her irritation, and then the release of "oh good the eggs are okay so far" rush had me in tears at the end of the call. Way to make a mistake feel way worse.
Foster City

Dr Reid, individually was awesome. She seemed really genuine and easy-going. She listened to us and validated our concerns. I felt like she was invested in us and truly wanted to see us succeed. I wish that I loved the rest of her office staff as much as I enjoyed her...We did 3 induced ovulation and 2 IUIs using letrazole and an Hcg trigger shot...we felt very supported and able to have a candid conversation. She took her time and did not rush us.
A few times I was told [by staff at Reproductive Science Center] that I would be contacted by the end of the day with instructions about time sensitive meds, and was never called. I ended up have to call my nurse coordinator off hours to get instructions. I also sent them a medical release waiver when I changed providers and they never sent over my medical records...Clinic is nice and new with a comfortable waiting area. It was a peaceful environment but several team members were borderline rude. One of the phlebotomists seemed irritated frequently. The US techs were really nice and friendly.
I really loved working with Dr Reid, it was just her support staff that I didn’t really trust. The communication was poor and several times I was told “well call you by the end of the day with instructions for meds tonight” and I didn’t get a call, so missed instructions for time sensitive meds. So you must be proactive with the support staff, call them, don’t wait for them to call you.
When we met with Dr Reid we felt very supported and able to have a candid conversation. She took her time and did not rush us. She seemed very down to earth and easy to relate to. Once treatment started we didn’t see her or hear from her again until my 5th “not pregnant” pregnancy test. We only dealt with our nurse coordinator and office staff after our initial consult.
We did 3 induced ovulation and 2 IUIs using letrazole and an Hcg trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Ruckheim)
Laura seemed organized but she wasn’t always patient with me. I felt like she interrupted me frequently and sometimes gave me an attitude.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
My insurance covered diagnostics. I think an induced ovulation cycle was about $200 and and IUI was about $800
Mandatory
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
A few times I was told that I would be contacted by the end of the day with instructions about time sensitive meds, and was never called. I ended up have to call my nurse coordinator off hours to get instructions. I also sent them a medical release waiver when I changed providers and they never sent over my medical records.