9.8

UCSF

Sara Pittenger-Reid works at

1098 Foster City Boulevard
Foster City, CA 94404

Dr Reid has quite a gentle bed-side manner... Limited access to her. Aside from initial consultation, will only see her at egg retrieval (if scheduling fits) and embryo transfer (if I specifically schedule it for a day that she works at my site.)... Most appointments are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.)
I found the exclusive use of email and voicemails to communicate with my nurse care coordinator off-putting....Most appointments [Reproductive Science Center] are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.)... * well oiled machine * competitive pricing - especially stacked against bigger names
How was your experience with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Quite kind, delicate and quiet bedside manner. Limited access to her. Aside from initial consultation, will only see her at egg retrieval (if scheduling fits) and embryo transfer (if I specifically schedule it for a day that she works at my site.)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
* do all your homework ahead of time. It'll help you not feel lost in the process. * do not expect undue hand-holding. You won't be seeing the doctor very often.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Mixed bag. Most appointments are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.) Most of the personnel are quite kind, but it's obvious you're just the umpteenth person trying to conceive that has paraded before them. Dr Reid has quite a gentle bed-side manner, which is appreciated. Yet the parade of different medical professionals I see at appointments does not feel very human focused. It's a very well run machine, though.
Describe the protocols Sara Pittenger-Reid used in your cycles at Reproductive Science Center and their degree of success.
antagonistic w/ lupron trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
* well oiled machine * competitive pricing - especially stacked against bigger names such as Stanford/UCSF * you'll mostly be treated kindly by a parade of different care providers you'll barely know. * the process is dehumanizing but not demoralizing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center.
$ 7,500 ivf w/ icsi $4000 - frozen embryo transfer $1000 embryo freezing $1500 PGS
Describe Sara Pittenger-Reid's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Science Center.
eSET strongly encouraged by doctor (especially with PGS tested embryos) and advised or increased complications during twin pregnancies.
Foster City

She's [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] very thoughtful and comprehensive in her thinking. She tries to set expectations and gives some rationales when things don't go as plan. She's willing to think outside the box and incorporate ideas from other physicians within her practice as well as from her previous clinics and any research you bring in. She may not always follow or endorse things, but she's willing to consider it and give a rationale why she thinks it will or won't be beneficial in this scenario.
You don't get a ton of face time with your doctor [at Reproductive Science Center] . You may or not see them at all once your cycle starts. However, every physician with whom I've interacted has been kind, reassuring, and competent....12k for ivf (not including meds) 17k for freeze all with PGS (not including meds)...I was verbally told they were drawing a beta when my period was a week late (getting ready to start a cycle), but only drew estrogen and progesterone.
She's very thoughtful and comprehensive in her thinking. She tries to set expectations and gives some rationales when things don't go as plan. She's willing to think outside the box and incorporate ideas from other physicians within her practice as well as from her previous clinics and any research you bring in. She may not always follow or endorse things, but she's willing to consider it and give a rationale why she thinks it will or won't be beneficial in this scenario.
Become friends with your nurse, who will be your primary point of contact.
She's kind, thoughtful, and funny. It feels as though she cares if you're pregnant-- not just for her success rates but because she wants to help grow families.
We started with an estrogen priming antagonist with hgh protocol and that cycle was converted to iui due to lack of synchronization. Then we went to micro dose Lupron with hgh and had a chemical pregnancy (11R, 8M, 4F, transferred 2 at day 3, nothing to freeze). We did some further work up to make sure we weren't missing anything. Our next cycle would be a micros dose Lupron with hgh again, but was canceled at baseline due to a cyst. Final cycle was exactly like the second (MDL with HGH). We had 8 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilize, 7 fabulous at day 3, all gone by day 5. Nothing to transfer or freeze. While she does not know why we don't make blasts, she's not pushing us to cycle again. She assumes it's poor egg quality as all sperm tests came back completely normal (including DNA frag). She's now recommending donor eggs or donor sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
Sandra is prompt on responses, and gives great updates. Sometimes it's frustrating to have questions be filtered through her-- it's hard to get an answer "straight from the horse's mouth", but Sandra does a great job interpreting answers.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
You don't get a ton of face time with your doctor. You may or not see them at all once your cycle starts. However, every physician with whom I've interacted has been kind, reassuring, and competent.
They prefer eSET, but we transferred 2 day 3 embryos. I'm not sure what they would have said if we had gotten to day 5 blasts or had any left to freeze in our case.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Science Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
Foster City

I felt like a human when 1) the doctor[Dr. Pittenger-Reid] made it a point to answer all my questions without hurrying me along. I felt like a number because 1) I’ve seen the doctor exactly 4 times for an entire cycle of Egg retrieval, frozen embryo transfer and anembryonic gestation leading to miscarriage. ... 2) Chasing after bloodwork results. 3) the patronizing manner in which my meds were changed for the 2nd cycle without consulting me and the nurse coordinator using a decade old article to fob me off when I’d read NIH papers from the past few years that clearly refute the article.
RSC is a well run machine. There won’t be too many blatantly unprofessional scenarios. But like most establishments, there is a patronizing undertone. I still haven’t seen bills from my past cycle. So I don’t know if I overpaid or have a balance going into cycle 2. I only get to see the doctor a view times. The vast majority of interactions is with the nurse coordinator. ... Nobody informed me of chanfebin drug protocol for second stim cycle until I noticed it in the prescription and asked them about it. ...
Good communicator and very compassionate and delicate bedside manner, which is very much appreciated. Not rigorous in terms providing data to back up protocol adjustments. Had not read the latest NIH papers regarding one of the additions to my stim cycle.
Do your own homework. You won’t be told the ugly naked truth and unless you do your own homework, you won’t know what questions to ask and might be surprised by the outcome.
I felt like a human when 1) the doctor made it a point to answer all my questions without hurrying me along. I felt like a number because 1) I’ve seen the doctor exactly 4 times for an entire cycle of Egg retrieval, frozen embryo transfer and anembryonic gestation leading to miscarriage. Both the FET and polyectomy were done with other doctors due to scheduling. 2) Chasing after bloodwork results. 3) the patronizing manner in which my meds were changed for the 2nd cycle without consulting me and the nurse coordinator using a decade old article to fob me off when I’d read NIH papers from the past few years that clearly refute the article.
GonalF, Menopur, Cetrotide, Lupron trigger. About par in terms of result. 2nd cycle, up the GonalF dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
I had to be on top of things. Otherwise, things, especially scheduling, would fall through the cracks.
Egg retrieval $5,000 Frozen embryo transfer $3,000 Drugs: $3,800
eSET highly recommended.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Science Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.