Medical SchoolUMDNJ
(973) 322–8289
100 Walnut Ave
Clark, NJ 07066
(973) 322–8286
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sarah C. Hessler to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas to a friend?
2019 - 2020
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
If you would like her [Dr. Hessler] to do the procedures she might be able to schedule it so that she is the covering DR when the time comes...has made herself available by phone/email even on days off if need be...My husband and i wanted to start conservatively, so we first started tracking my ovulation with the drs office, we later started Femara and Ovidrel, and moved onto two double IUIs with Femara and Ovidrel. We are now saving for IVF...With male factor and PCOS i think she explained our situation to us very clearly. I do wish i got to touch base with her before the cycle to know what was ahead when we switched from Ovulation tracking to IUI. It was hard to know what was next if i hadn't gone out of my way to educate myself or made a point to ask the nurse. With the deadlines in each treatment i could have missed a cycle.
Im happy driving further to the Clark office [of Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science Barnabas] because they are so on top of everything, they know me by name, and they are clear with their directions and answers no matter how often i ask questions...Alicia is the best admin i think i have every come into contact with. She goes out of her way to answer all your questions as quickly as possible and it seems like your the only patient in the office ( your not its a huge office lol). The nursing staff is amazing, they are available to you via phone and email and answer any and all questions you have as quickly as they can. The phlebotomists at this office could be better. While theyre incredibly nice they often cant find my vein and im left with bruises.
2019 - 2020
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Dr. Hessler did a great job breaking down our diagnosis and plan for treatment. While it may have taken a while to talk to her on the phone at times we still got through when we needed to. With male factor and PCOS i think she explained our situation to us very clearly. I do wish i got to touch base with her before the cycle to know what was ahead when we switched from Ovulation tracking to IUI. It was hard to know what was next if i hadn't gone out of my way to educate myself or made a point to ask the nurse. With the deadlines in each treatment i could have missed a cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Ask questions, reach out to her if your not clear on something. She will take the time to walk you through it. If you would like her to do the procedures she might be able to schedule it so that she is the covering DR when the time comes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
While the doctors rotate in this large clinic, i spent most of my time in the clark office where i know everyone by name and they know mine. Dr. Hessler has made herself available by phone/email even on days off if need be.
Describe the protocols Sarah C. Hessler used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer G.)
When i picked the office i knew that i would be dealing with the nurse and staff more than the Dr. So i went out of my way to look for reviews that spoke of the overall office. Im happy driving further to the Clark office because they are so on top of everything, they know me by name, and they are clear with their directions and answers no matter how often i ask questions.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Honestly my costs are high but that is because of my health insurance. Im sure the clinics prices are higher because of its location as my sister paid less for IUI in NC .
Describe Sarah C. Hessler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
I believe this clinic does Single Embryo Transfers.
Clark

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sarah C. Hessler at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.

4 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner and her nurse Jennifer Giordano is truly out of this world fantastic!...I felt fully heard and listened to. She took her time walking me through her recommendations, I never felt rushed while in her presence. She has a great sense of humor and great disposition overall....Dr. Hessler added Prednisone, Lovenox, baby aspirin and ultimately Neupogen to the protocol pre-transfer and into the pregnancy. So far, I am almost 4 weeks and counting.
Monitoring at IRMS Clark is a well oiled machine. They really do get patients in and out in a timely manner regardless of how busy they get.... IRMS' strengths are the multiple locations, the efficiency of the staff (they get you in and out), that all of the doctors are women and they run a well oiled machine in terms of communication, appointments, etc. They're spread throughout so most people can find a location that works for them and you can visit different locations based on schedule changes if needed.
4 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
As previously discussed, Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner, I felt fully heard and listened to. She took her time walking me through her recommendations, I never felt rushed while in her presence. She has a great sense of humor and great disposition overall.
Feel free and empowered to ask your questions. If you don't understand something ask the questions. She's also great via email as well.
I met with Dr. Hessler after previously working with Serena Chen. I wanted a difference experience and felt like Dr. Hessler was more empathetic in her dealings with me whereas Dr. Chen was more matter of fact. I was also armed with a second opinion so I came into the conversation better prepared to discuss what I thought was at play with prior unsuccessful cycles. Dr. Hessler has great bedside manner and her nurse Jennifer Giordano is truly out of this world fantastic! She was the big difference maker for me even beyond Dr. Hessler because there is simply more contact with the nursing staff than even the doctors.
I'd gotten a second opinion which diagnosed endometriosis, PCOS and insulin-resistance. Per the protocol recommended by the second opinion, Dr. Hessler added Prednisone, Lovenox, baby aspirin and ultimately Neupogen to the protocol pre-transfer and into the pregnancy. So far, I am almost 4 weeks and counting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Giordano)
Jennifer Giordano is the best nurse I have ever encountered in my life. She goes above and beyond for her patients, is incredibly responsive, takes care of the big and small details and follow-ups were always on point. She is the distinguishing factor for the IRMS experience in my opinion. It was an absolute pleasure interacting and engaging with her and she made the experience so much smoother than it would've been but for her diligence and attention to detail.
IRMS' strengths are the multiple locations, the efficiency of the staff (they get you in and out), that all of the doctors are women and they run a well oiled machine in terms of communication, appointments, etc. They're spread throughout so most people can find a location that works for them and you can visit different locations based on schedule changes if needed. This was particularly helpful in the monitoring phases.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Insurance covered the bulk of the cycles but I had my deductible ($2700) and co-insurance. For each cycle, I paid btwn 3000-4000 out of pocket for genetic testing, deductible and co-insurance payments.
IRMS strongly favors single transfers advising that multiple embryo transfer increased the risk of failure and complications. I was in agreement that the goal was to have a safe and successful pregnancy and opted for single embryo transfer.

2017 - 2019
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. Hessler looks me in the eyes, shows compassion and will tell you everything that’s going on as it’s happening. She explains it all, and in such a way that you don’t feel broken about yourself afterward... We haven’t started our cycle yet (when I met with her for the first time it was to determine the issue, and then correcting it with surgery)....I had asked about multiple embryo transfer, but dr. Hessler explained to us that due to my age (27) that she believed we would have a successful cycle using just one embryo and that ultimately it is safer for me and for our potential baby.
You’re comfortable when you walk in [Institute for Repro Med & Science], I think that’s all you can ask for in this type of environment. It doesn’t feel like you’re in a clinic. I haven’t come across anything I would view as a weakness....[Cost of Treatment] Estimated 14,000 to start $1000 retrieval $600 anesthesia $1000 transfer plus cost of meds... I email constantly and always get a response very quickly as if I was their only patient....Dr. Hessler looks me in the eyes, shows compassion and will tell you everything that’s going on as it’s happening.
2017 - 2019
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
I was so afraid to step foot into that office for the first time not knowing what to expect. I left with my heart feeling full of possibility. I know that she is going to do everything to make me a mom, she is such a kind woman, and a compassionate doctor. I am grateful that she is my first experience with infertility. Couldn’t ask for better
To walk in knowing you’re going to be getting the best treatment. Skepticism isn’t needed because she’s instantly trustworthy
We haven’t started our cycle yet (when I met with her for the first time it was to determine the issue, and then correcting it with surgery). Then my husband and I were going to see her again after our wedding. We were scheduled to start our first cycle on April 18, but due to insufficient funds needed to push it back to September 2019! Still saving!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jenn)
You’re comfortable when you walk in, I think that’s all you can ask for in this type of environment. It doesn’t feel like you’re in a clinic. I haven’t come across anything I would view as a weakness.
Clark

Sarah Hessler is amazing. She is very welled mannered. She takes her time with you and your spouse. She discusses everything that has to be done and every worry that is brought up. She responses quickly to me through email or her receptionist.... She understand if an appointment is missed or something came up and will adjust the treatment as necessary. I hope to be having the best results with her! Prayers for 2019
They [Institute for Repro Med & Science at Saint Barnabas] all work as a team with the patient and they take the time out for each patient. The clinic is clean and is set up to fit the patients needs. They are very organized and responsible. The clinic always calls with reminder or rescheduling and they make sure that everything is convenient for you.... Sarah Hessler looks at my case and explain very throughly what needs to be done. She is understanding if an appointment or blood work is missed.
Sarah Hessler is amazing. She is very welled mannered. She takes her time with you and your spouse. She discusses everything that has to be done and every worry that is brought up. She responses quickly to me through email or her receptionist. She is the best doctor I have seen and I can’t wait to move forward. She understand if an appointment is missed or something came up and will adjust the treatment as necessary. I hope to be having the best results with her! Prayers for 2019
Listen to what she has to say. Her opinion might make the biggest difference.
Sarah Hessler looks at my case and explain very throughly what needs to be done. She is understanding if an appointment or blood work is missed. She responds quickly and reassures you of everything. I am happy with her and I can’t wait to keep going. Prayers to iui hopefully end of year
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Always calls with results and put them on portal.
They all work as a team with the patient and they take the time out for each patient. The clinic is clean and is set up to fit the patients needs. They are very organized and responsible. The clinic always calls with reminder or rescheduling and they make sure that everything is convenient for you.
For iui I only have a 30 dollar copay for each visit and ivf would cost 15000 dollars
Clark

She [Dr. Hessler] wrote/drew notes of everything we discussed and made a copy so we can review and disseminate at home. She was always honest and funny. She took the edge off of a tense situation. I was well aware of my chances and outcomes... Everything was explained in a considerable and easy to understand manor. She was always available for questions and the staff was wonderful
Early morning monitor hours so I was never late to work. The main weekend offices [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science] were easily accessible. The nurses were always encouraging and gentle. My instructions were always available before 3 pm... Everything was explained in a considerable and easy to understand manor. She was always available for questions and the staff was wonderful
She wrote/drew notes of everything we discussed and made a copy so we can review and disseminate at home. She was always honest and funny. She took the edge off of a tense situation. I was well aware of my chances and outcomes
Have a sense of humor
Gonal F and Menopur. Cetrotide and then Novarel as the trigger shot
Early morning monitor hours so I was never late to work. The main weekend offices were easily accessible. The nurses were always encouraging and gentle. My instructions were always available before 3 pm
Clark

She [Dr. Hessler] was very friendly and easy to talk to. I was happy with her care, but it is a large clinic so I never had her doing any of my actual procedures. I also was not happy with the way that the news of my miscarriage was delivered to me. ... When i miscarried, I found out through the patient portal. I then could not get in touch with a nurse or doctor for 3 hours and the doctor still did not contact me for a few days. It was very upsetting and I did not understand what was happening.
In Clark it [monitoring appointments] was very easy. When I had to go to Livingston on the weekends, it was more hectic and annoying. ... Too big, don't hear from or see the actual doctor a lot. Nurses are very friendly and helpful and always greeted you by name and knew each patient. ... When i miscarried, I found out through the patient portal. I then could not get in touch with a nurse or doctor for 3 hours and the doctor still did not contact me for a few days.
She was very friendly and easy to talk to. I was happy with her care, but it is a large clinic so I never had her doing any of my actual procedures. I also was not happy with the way that the news of my miscarriage was delivered to me.
Be prepared for things to change.
Did 3 IUIs with letrozole, followed by 1 with Gonal-F and then IVF with Gonal-F and Menopur. It felts like every step of the way a new hurdle was discovered which was very frustrating.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
They were great!
Too big, don't hear from or see the actual doctor a lot. Nurses are very friendly and helpful and always greeted you by name and knew each patient. Why does this have to be 200 characters? I am literally writing just to take up characters to go to the next question. I think this character limit is stupid.
In Clark it was very easy. When I had to go to Livingston on the weekends, it was more hectic and annoying.
$12,000 for IVF with $1,000 on day of retrieval and $600 on day of transfer. IUIs were $600
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.