Medical SchoolU. of Helsinki
ResidencyAlbert Einstein
FellowshipAlbert Einstein
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Satu Kuokkanen to a friend?
6.6

2019 - 2020
I think Dr Kuokkanen has great experience and is very well informed but I don't think her communication style was the best match for me. Many times she explained things in medical terms and it was hard for me to follow along or fully understand. She was on vacation while I started my IVF treatment and felt that I was left on my own. When my body was not reacting as expected to the injections she or any of the other doctors did not change my treatment in any way. The thing that most bother me was that after having 0 embryos from my first IVF treatment, I felt that she was very negative about my chances for future IVF treatment.
The clinic [NYU Langone] itself felt very unorganized and there was a lack of communication. I felt like a number more than a human. The finance department was hard to get a hold of and many times didn't return my calls. I also didn't like that to do IVF I had to have a consultation with the doctor, then a consultation with the nurse practitioner and then a class to show you how to do the injections. For each of those 3 appointments I had to pay a copay. It really felt like that could have been all in 1 appointment or 2 at the most. Not only did it feel like I was being nickel and dimed but also like they didn't value my time.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Satu Kuokkanen at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Satu Kuokkanen at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Ask her to explain things in clearer detail. However, I would not see Dr Kuokkanen while she is practicing at RS of NY.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Satu Kuokkanen at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
The clinic really lacks in communication. I was frequently not given the proper information in the right way or at the right time. I also did not like that they have so many nurses and any of them will call you with your results from that day. I think it would be easier to only speak with 1 or 2 nurses that actually know your case especially since it is so hard to speak to the doctor. During my IVF my body was not responding to the injections and I was only seeing 2 eggs. Dr Kuokkanen was on vacation and I kept being told that one of the other doctors would call me to discuss but day after day I never actually spoke to another doctor. The nurses would just call me and say they wanted me to continue with my current dosage. When Dr Kuokkanen finally returned to the office from her vacation I was on day 11 of injections and she still did not call me to discuss my situation even though I tried calling to speak with her multiple times and was promised she would call me. I also felt that I had to do a lot of the leg work communicating between the finance department and my insurance. I spent hours back and forth on the phone or email.
Describe the protocols Satu Kuokkanen used in your cycles at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York and their degree of success.
1st IUI cycle I took Chlomophine, 2 pills a day for 5 days. Uterine lining was thin so I took estrogen twice a day vaginally until the IUI transfer and then I continued to take estrogen twice a day orally. This cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 2nd IUI cycle I took Letrozole, 2 pills a day for 5 days. Uterine lining was thin so I took estrogen twice a day vaginally until the IUI transfer and then I continued to take estrogen twice a day orally. I had an IUI transfer on Sunday and was given a trigger shot and then came back the next day for another IUI transfer because my follicles had stopped growing and my bloodwork was borderline surging. One week after IUI transfer I was prescribed progesterone suppositories to be inserted twice a day because my levels were low. My pregnancy test was negative and I was told I possibly didn't ovulate. 3rd IUI cycle I did a natural cycle because the sonogram on day 3 was showing a cyst or follicle. I was told to take estrogen from the beginning of the cycle and progesterone after IUI transfer. This cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy. IVF cycle- took 300 units of Gonal-F & 225 IU of Menopur starting 2/14 and did my trigger shot the night of 2/26. Had 4 eggs retrieved on 2/28. Only 2 eggs fertilized and none became embryos.
The nurses overall are very nice and caring but I think they are overworked which causes a breakdown in communication. I think it would be better if I had been assigned to only 1 or 2 nurses.
Describe your experience with NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
The clinic itself felt very unorganized and there was a lack of communication. I felt like a number more than a human. The finance department was hard to get a hold of and many times didn't return my calls. I also didn't like that to do IVF I had to have a consultation with the doctor, then a consultation with the nurse practitioner and then a class to show you how to do the injections. For each of those 3 appointments I had to pay a copay. It really felt like that could have been all in 1 appointment or 2 at the most. Not only did it feel like I was being nickel and dimed but also like they didn't value my time. The appointment wait times were also fairly long. What you would think would be fast monitoring appointments often took far too long and involved a lot of waiting around. Having to come to the doctors most times on a daily basis for monitoring before work is already hard enough but then to sit around waiting for so long is beyond frustrating. It just always felt like they didn't value my time or life outside of the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Satu Kuokkanen at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.
I had insurance coverage for most of my treatment.
What specific things went wrong at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York?
NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York
Mineola
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Satu Kuokkanen at NYU Langone Reproductive Specialists of New York.

Overall I have had a positive experience with Dr. Kuokkanen...When I first began treatment with her we had a very thorough consultation, during which she outlined a series of diagnostic procedures and tests in layman’s terms. She me feel cared for and that I was in good hands. After that consultation communication has been a little spotty. She seems to rely heavily on nursing to communicate most aspects of treatment, which I hear is common at other practices. That said, I have been able to reach her by phone to discuss my treatment plan after leaving messages with nurses.
You have to be proactive about managing your appointments here [Global Fertility & Genetics]. The clinic staff seem a bit stressed and don’t call with appointment reminders. Sometimes they are not great about returning phone calls or emails... Juany [nurse] is extremely kind, patient, and thorough. It seems like the doctor relies on her to run the ship, including being a touchpoint for patients about medication, signing legal paperwork, walking patients through treatment plans, and scheduling visits. She is lovely to talk to and I get the sense that she cares deeply about helping patients. Communication has been a bit inconsistent though, and I have learned days after emailing the general nursing email address that no one received my questions. This has been a consistent part of my experience. Everyone is amazing in person, but as soon as I leave I'm not sure if I'll be able to connect with nursing or the doctor within the next few days.
How was your experience with Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics?
Overall I have had a positive experience with Dr. Kuokkanen. As a newbie in this area, it was important to me to find a doctor who made me feel confident. I wanted someone to painstakingly explain everything in terms I could understand, and help me get to the bottom of my fertility issues. When I first began treatment with her we had a very thorough consultation, during which she outlined a series of diagnostic procedures and tests in layman’s terms. She me feel cared for and that I was in good hands. After that consultation communication has been a little spotty. She seems to rely heavily on nursing to communicate most aspects of treatment, which I hear is common at other practices. That said, I have been able to reach her by phone to discuss my treatment plan after leaving messages with nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics?
You have to be proactive about managing your appointments here. The clinic staff seem a bit stressed and don’t call with appointment reminders. Sometimes they are not great about returning phone calls or emails.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics?
This practice recently opened, and most aspects appear to be thoughtfully considered. In particular, the bright, welcoming waiting areas with comfortable furniture and friendly staff instantly made me feel at ease. From my previous provider I had grown accustomed to being ignored or receiving vague responses to questions via a confusing patient portal. So I was shocked that Juany, the nursing director at Global Fertility, was routinely available by phone after normal business hours to patiently explain aspects of my treatment to me, or plan out my following visit. She has been a calming presence throughout our experience.
Describe the protocols Satu Kuokkanen used in your cycles at Global Fertility and Genetics and their degree of success.
After we determined that I have one blocked tube using HSG and a follow-up MRI, I opted to try IUI with Clomid. The doctor suggested this approach given my age (34) and norma ovarian reserve, though she did warn that success rates with IUI were low. I tried one round that was unsuccessful, and felt discouraged. I had previously had 3 rounds of monitored Clomid cycles with my previous doctor without success. Dr. Kuokkanen suggested that the blocked tube could potentially limit IUI success if follicles developed on the blocked side, and suggested that we might consider IVF as a next step. We are going to try our first cycle in a few months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Global Fertility and Genetics. (Assigned nurse: Juany Rodriguez)
As mentioned, Juany is extremely kind, patient, and thorough. It seems like the doctor relies on her to run the ship, including being a touchpoint for patients about medication, signing legal paperwork, walking patients through treatment plans, and scheduling visits. She is lovely to talk to and I get the sense that she cares deeply about helping patients. Communication has been a bit inconsistent though, and I have learned days after emailing the general nursing email address that no one received my questions. This has been a consistent part of my experience. Everyone is amazing in person, but as soon as I leave I'm not sure if I'll be able to connect with nursing or the doctor within the next few days.
Describe your experience with Global Fertility and Genetics.
Strengths: The facility itself is beautiful--new, clean, and comfortable. The nurses are incredibly nice and accommodating. I trust Dr. Kuokkanen's expertise and thoroughness. I have her complete attention when we meet, and have been able to reach her on the phone several times to ask questions about treatment. Weaknesses: I feel like I have to be my own advocate perhaps more than I was expecting. They don't do appointment reminders or confirmations, so I have to keep track myself. Communication is inconsistent, so I often need to follow-up several times before I can reach the nursing department.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics.
$600 for IUI (medication and procedure) $13,000 for IVF with fresh transfer (single embryo) plus $5,500 for medication
Describe Satu Kuokkanen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Global Fertility and Genetics.
My doctor only does single embryo transfers in the majority of younger patients who have high-quality embryos. I feel relieved about the lower risk of multiples but also apprehensive that a single embryo won’t implant.
What specific things went wrong at Global Fertility and Genetics?
Global Fertility and Genetics
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics.

She [Dr. Kuokkanen] was kind and a great listener. Dr. K. was open minded to hear ideas and theories and discussed them even if she didn’t agree instead of dismissing me like other doctors did...Another doctor pushed us to donor eggs (for $20,000 not covered by insurance) without a valid diagnosis...We explained this to Dr. Kuokkanen and she never once said we needed donor anything. She said “as long as you’re willing to try, I’m willing to try.” It was under her guidance that we eventually were able to have our own genetic child. When she said “I’m sorry this cycle didn’t work” I felt in my heart like she meant it. Dr. K is an amazing doctor and I highly recommend her!
I trusted her [nurse at Long Island IVF] and would happily work with her again...[monitoring was a] Well oiled machine. But it still takes time because Lake Success is a small office so get there early...This practice is a ‘Center of Excellence’ within NYS employee health insurance. For us, that meant no co-pays for appointments associated with cycles but co-pays for medications. I think for all of our cycles we spent approximately $400 in total.
How was your experience with Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF?
Another doctor pushed us to donor eggs (for $20,000 not covered by insurance) without a valid diagnosis. We left in tears and never went back. We explained this to Dr. Kuokkanen and she never once said we needed donor anything. She said “as long as you’re willing to try, I’m willing to try.” It was under her guidance that we eventually were able to have our own genetic child. When she said “I’m sorry this cycle didn’t work” I felt in my heart like she meant it. Dr. K is an amazing doctor and I highly recommend her!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF?
Trust her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF?
She was kind and a great listener. Dr. K. was open minded to hear ideas and theories and discussed them even if she didn’t agree instead of dismissing me like other doctors did.
Describe the protocols Satu Kuokkanen used in your cycles at Long Island IVF and their degree of success.
We used menopur, follistim, and gannirelix for two cycles. We switched to gonal f for third cycle due to a shortage with insurance company. For the third cycle we also added lovenox due to a join decision (hey, why not? was truly the suggestion I had). My husband used Clomid for all cycles. Baby was born from third cycle with Dr. K (our fifth total).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lauren)
Lauren was the nurse assigned to me for all of my cycles with Dr. Kuokkanen. I trusted her and would happily work with her again.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Get there early (even before opening) for monitoring. Especially if it’s a Saturday unless you LIKE to wait. Ask for copies of test results and make copies of forms you hand in because it’s easier in case something gets lost or questioned.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF.
Long Island IVF
New Hyde Park
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF.

2013 - 2016
3 Egg Freezing, IVF
Dr. Kuokkanen were extremely kind of patient with me. I could feel her compassion for her clients and she's so professional and capable with her skills. She had administered two IVF cycles for me and both were successful. She was able to accomplish what other doctors couldn't. I'm extremely happy with her....Lorraine is so compassionate, patient, and kind. She's so thoughtful and went through all the details with me, coordinated with me about all the steps of this whole process. She replied to my email even during her off hours. She's has gone above and beyond for me.
I have achieved two successful cycles and two failed cycles with Long Island IVF. I think if I picked the right doctor [Satu Kuokkanen] then things can work out beautifully. Most of the staff here are friendly, courteous, and nice. However, they are a little bit disorganized, and you must be on top of your own case, and follow through everything carefully....Lorraine is so compassionate, patient, and kind. She's so thoughtful and went through all the details with me, coordinated with me about all the steps of this whole process. She replied to my email even during her off hours. She's has gone above and beyond for me.
2013 - 2016
3 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF?
put all of your trust in her and communicate with Dr. Kuokkanen about all of your feelings and thoughts
Dr. Kuokkanen had administered two IVF cycles for me and both times were successful. She has gone above and beyond to help me out. She's kind, patient, professional, she's the best doctor and I highly recommend her to anyone.
I was successful with my first IVF cycle with Dr. Kuokkanen in 2013, and 2 years later, I experienced two failures with another doctor. I decided to go back to Dr. Kuokkanen and chatted with her about my concerns. She put me on estrogen patches before I started my injection cycles. along the injection cycle, she broke the usage of the meds into morning dosage and evening dosage. I felt that her strategies were very flexible and carefully planned out. and the best thing is, it definitely worked!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lorraine Karagannis)
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
I have achieved two successful cycles and two failed cycles with Long Island IVF. I think if I picked the right doctor then things can work out beautifully. Most of the staff here are friendly, courteous, and nice. However, they are a little bit disorganized, and you must be on top of your own case, and follow through everything carefully.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
the monitoring appointments are in the mornings so it was pretty smooth
approximately $20,000