Medical SchoolU. of Helsinki
ResidencyAlbert Einstein
FellowshipAlbert Einstein
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Satu Kuokkanen to a friend?
Overall I have had a positive experience with Dr. Kuokkanen...When I first began treatment with her we had a very thorough consultation, during which she outlined a series of diagnostic procedures and tests in layman’s terms. She me feel cared for and that I was in good hands. After that consultation communication has been a little spotty. She seems to rely heavily on nursing to communicate most aspects of treatment, which I hear is common at other practices. That said, I have been able to reach her by phone to discuss my treatment plan after leaving messages with nurses.
How was your experience with Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics?
Overall I have had a positive experience with Dr. Kuokkanen. As a newbie in this area, it was important to me to find a doctor who made me feel confident. I wanted someone to painstakingly explain everything in terms I could understand, and help me get to the bottom of my fertility issues. When I first began treatment with her we had a very thorough consultation, during which she outlined a series of diagnostic procedures and tests in layman’s terms. She me feel cared for and that I was in good hands. After that consultation communication has been a little spotty. She seems to rely heavily on nursing to communicate most aspects of treatment, which I hear is common at other practices. That said, I have been able to reach her by phone to discuss my treatment plan after leaving messages with nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics?
You have to be proactive about managing your appointments here. The clinic staff seem a bit stressed and don’t call with appointment reminders. Sometimes they are not great about returning phone calls or emails.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics?
This practice recently opened, and most aspects appear to be thoughtfully considered. In particular, the bright, welcoming waiting areas with comfortable furniture and friendly staff instantly made me feel at ease. From my previous provider I had grown accustomed to being ignored or receiving vague responses to questions via a confusing patient portal. So I was shocked that Juany, the nursing director at Global Fertility, was routinely available by phone after normal business hours to patiently explain aspects of my treatment to me, or plan out my following visit. She has been a calming presence throughout our experience.
Describe the protocols Satu Kuokkanen used in your cycles at Global Fertility and Genetics and their degree of success.
After we determined that I have one blocked tube using HSG and a follow-up MRI, I opted to try IUI with Clomid. The doctor suggested this approach given my age (34) and norma ovarian reserve, though she did warn that success rates with IUI were low. I tried one round that was unsuccessful, and felt discouraged. I had previously had 3 rounds of monitored Clomid cycles with my previous doctor without success. Dr. Kuokkanen suggested that the blocked tube could potentially limit IUI success if follicles developed on the blocked side, and suggested that we might consider IVF as a next step. We are going to try our first cycle in a few months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Global Fertility and Genetics. (Assigned nurse: Juany Rodriguez)
As mentioned, Juany is extremely kind, patient, and thorough. It seems like the doctor relies on her to run the ship, including being a touchpoint for patients about medication, signing legal paperwork, walking patients through treatment plans, and scheduling visits. She is lovely to talk to and I get the sense that she cares deeply about helping patients. Communication has been a bit inconsistent though, and I have learned days after emailing the general nursing email address that no one received my questions. This has been a consistent part of my experience. Everyone is amazing in person, but as soon as I leave I'm not sure if I'll be able to connect with nursing or the doctor within the next few days.
Describe your experience with Global Fertility and Genetics.
Strengths: The facility itself is beautiful--new, clean, and comfortable. The nurses are incredibly nice and accommodating. I trust Dr. Kuokkanen's expertise and thoroughness. I have her complete attention when we meet, and have been able to reach her on the phone several times to ask questions about treatment. Weaknesses: I feel like I have to be my own advocate perhaps more than I was expecting. They don't do appointment reminders or confirmations, so I have to keep track myself. Communication is inconsistent, so I often need to follow-up several times before I can reach the nursing department.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Satu Kuokkanen at Global Fertility and Genetics.
$600 for IUI (medication and procedure) $13,000 for IVF with fresh transfer (single embryo) plus $5,500 for medication
Describe Satu Kuokkanen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Global Fertility and Genetics.
My doctor only does single embryo transfers in the majority of younger patients who have high-quality embryos. I feel relieved about the lower risk of multiples but also apprehensive that a single embryo won’t implant.
What specific things went wrong at Global Fertility and Genetics?
Global Fertility and Genetics
2013 - 2016
3 Egg Freezing, IVF
Dr. Kuokkanen were extremely kind of patient with me. I could feel her compassion for her clients and she's so professional and capable with her skills. She had administered two IVF cycles for me and both were successful. She was able to accomplish what other doctors couldn't. I'm extremely happy with her....Lorraine is so compassionate, patient, and kind. She's so thoughtful and went through all the details with me, coordinated with me about all the steps of this whole process. She replied to my email even during her off hours. She's has gone above and beyond for me.
2013 - 2016
3 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF?
put all of your trust in her and communicate with Dr. Kuokkanen about all of your feelings and thoughts
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Kuokkanen had administered two IVF cycles for me and both times were successful. She has gone above and beyond to help me out. She's kind, patient, professional, she's the best doctor and I highly recommend her to anyone.
Describe the protocols Satu Kuokkanen used in your cycles at Long Island IVF and their degree of success.
I was successful with my first IVF cycle with Dr. Kuokkanen in 2013, and 2 years later, I experienced two failures with another doctor. I decided to go back to Dr. Kuokkanen and chatted with her about my concerns. She put me on estrogen patches before I started my injection cycles. along the injection cycle, she broke the usage of the meds into morning dosage and evening dosage. I felt that her strategies were very flexible and carefully planned out. and the best thing is, it definitely worked!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lorraine Karagannis)
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
I have achieved two successful cycles and two failed cycles with Long Island IVF. I think if I picked the right doctor then things can work out beautifully. Most of the staff here are friendly, courteous, and nice. However, they are a little bit disorganized, and you must be on top of your own case, and follow through everything carefully.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
the monitoring appointments are in the mornings so it was pretty smooth
Describe the costs associated with your care under Satu Kuokkanen at Long Island IVF.
approximately $20,000