Reproductive Health Center

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Kansas
ResidencyU. of Kansas
Fellowship The John's Hopkins School of Medicine
4518 E. Camp Lowell Dr.
Tucson, AZ 85712
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Scot Hutchison to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Health Center to a friend?
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Hutchison is very thorough and patient, and an educator at heart....He listened to my concerns about my menstrual cycle and adjusted my medications for the IUI cycle accordingly.... he was always happy to listen to my questions and explain his position on various topics based on current research.... I appreciated that during our treatment he was actively attending industry conferences and teaching others (often other doctors were shadowing him at my appointments) and that as a result he sometimes changed our treatment plan accordingly.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Dr. Hutchison is very thorough and patient, and an educator at heart. We came to him prior to beginning treatment and after consulting with the other two REs in town. He did a complete review of my file and suggested we repeat the HSG procedure as a result of complications with my previous test. He explained the how and why of what he wanted to do and we decided on the spot to pursue an IUI cycle. He listened to my concerns about my menstrual cycle and adjusted my medications for the IUI cycle accordingly. Later we moved on to IVF and completed two retrieval cycles. Based on my age, health, and test results we all expected a great result from the first cycle, but I under-performed. In our followup consultation Dr. Hutchison was compassionate and receptive to my desire to do a second cycle right away, with changes to protocol. As a result my dosages were increased and a steroid added. When the second cycle resulted in a similar outcome, we were given the option to do a third retrieval or proceed with a transfer. When we chose to proceed with the transfer, he was again receptive to concerns we had about the protocol and open to a natural cycle FET. In general, I felt like I was given options at every step and the decision left up to me and my husband. We never felt rushed or pushed into a course of treatment. I was very active in understanding our treatment and making decisions about our care, and felt heard. In our experience, Dr. Hutchison is not one to tell you what to do which may work well for some but not others.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Do your homework and ask lots of questions. There are endless variations to ART treatments and he was always happy to listen to my questions and explain his position on various topics based on current research. I appreciated that during our treatment he was actively attending industry conferences and teaching others (often other doctors were shadowing him at my appointments) and that as a result he sometimes changed our treatment plan accordingly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
The clinic is a small family practice and I developed a good relationship with the doctor, my IVF coordinator (Holly) and the front office staff (Carol). I was always greeted by name and staff would ask about my husband by name when he was not with me. We would also talk about my work or vacations we had taken.
Describe the protocols Scot Hutchison used in your cycles at Reproductive Health Center and their degree of success.
For our IUI cycle I took 5mg Femara (Letrozole) on cycle days 3-7 and used an Ovidrel trigger. I had never used Clomid and he advised against it based on evidence of a luteal phase defect. For our first retrieval cycle I was on a fairly typical regimen of birth control for several weeks followed by 11 days of Follistim and Menopur at relatively low doses (150IU and 75IU). I used a dual trigger (hCG and Lupron). We retrieved 10 eggs, 5 of which were mature and fertilized with ICSI. 2 were biopsied and frozen on day 6 and deemed PGS normal. We chose to do a second retrieval to hopefully bank more embryos and repeated the protocol with the following changes: Menopur was increased to 150IU, 1mg of Dexamethasone was added, and we triggered with Lupron only due to higher estrogen levels. Despite the changes and promising scans and blood work, we retrieved 10 eggs again. This time 6 were mature and fertilized with ICSI, but only 1 was biopsied and frozen on day 6. It was also PGS normal. Prior to attempting a transfer, we were encouraged to do an endometrial receptivity test and thus did a mock cycle. After discussion with both Dr. Hutchison and Holly we were approved to do a natural cycle even though a medicated cycle is more common. I was closely monitored for my LH surge and took only supplemental (vaginal) progesterone during the cycle. The test results were receptive and we continued straight into an elective single embryo transfer cycle using the same natural cycle protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Health Center. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
I worked primarily with Holly, the clinic's IVF coordinator (and the doctor's sister!). She was extremely patient with my endless research and questions, and made herself available by email and text message. She was there for nearly all of my ultrasounds and blood draws, and particularly good with a butterfly needle. I really felt that she was invested in my case. She was very positive and encouraging and advised me as if I were her daughter on many occasions. When Holly was unavailable, Pamela did my blood draws and was also very kind.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinic is small and personable. They do not have every possible bell and whistle of some other clinics (HSGs are done off site, there is no online patient portal) but their pricing is beyond fair. I never once had a problem with records or billing, and only occasionally had to remind staff about a detail of my case. I think it's important to realize this is a small family practice with only one RE, so they do close for the holidays and at select other times in the year. Being a small practice, they also do retrievals in monthly batches which sometimes means waiting to start a cycle. However, I was always treated like a person rather than a number, and the doctor personally did all of my procedures, including ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center.
The cost of a medicated and monitored IUI cycle was $540, plus the cost of meds (~$100). The cost of our first retrieval cycle was $6,800 which included the $800 fee to biopsy our embryos for PGS testing. The actual PGS testing was handled by Progenesis at a cost of $350 per embryo plus shipping. Our second retrieval cycle was discounted to $4000. We did not do a third, but it would have been $3000. Between our first and second cycles they began charging a credit card processing fee. For our ERA cycle we paid a specialist copay to our insurance for each monitoring and the biopsy, as well as $600 to Igenomix for the testing. Our transfer cycle was included in the price of our retrieval cycles so there were no additional charges for the monitoring appointments or the transfer itself. If you elect not to do PGS, there is a $1000 fee for transfer. Our only other costs were $350 to bank a sperm sample for back up, and $350/year for embryo storage beginning the July after retrieval.
Describe Scot Hutchison's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Health Center.
From the beginning it was clear to us that the clinic favors eSET of PGS tested embryos. We did have one conversation where the possibility of transferring our two lowest graded embryos together was presented, but we decided against it due to a family history of preeclampsia and a desire to give each embryo a chance.
Tucson
He [Dr. Scot Hutchinson] always set realistic expectations and has helped me to begin to consider alternative options beyond IVF. One thing to consider is that he is relatively conservative in his approach. He has good reasoning for his philosophy and communicates it well. ... Dr. Hutchison always made me feel as though I was a top priority and that he valued all aspects of my well being. Having been through fertility issues himself, he is just as knowledgable about the emotional concerns as he is about the medical side.
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Dr. Hutchison is a very honest and compassionate doctor. Although my IVF cycle was not successful, I believe that he did everything he could for me. From the beginning, he was very straightforward about the various challenges of my particular case. He always set realistic expectations and has helped me to begin to consider alternative options beyond IVF. One thing to consider is that he is relatively conservative in his approach. He has good reasoning for his philosophy and communicates it well. Dr. Hutchison has been practicing long enough to watch the fertility field evolve. He is well-respected in the community and the University of Arizona medical residents train in his practice. Dr. Hutchison's pricing is affordable and transparent. His counseling is not influenced by financial incentive, but by what is in the best interest of the patient.
Holly will give out lots of information on how to obtain medications for the most affordable prices possible. This does require some extra legwork and responsibility on the part of the patient. This shouldn't be a problem as long as you stay organized and make sure to place your orders well in advance.
Dr. Hutchison always made me feel as though I was a top priority and that he valued all aspects of my well being. Having been through fertility issues himself, he is just as knowledgable about the emotional concerns as he is about the medical side. I've always felt supported knowing that he was available by phone whenever questions or concerns arose. Holly (his sister and the practice coordinator) spent so much time helping us with nutrition and lifestyle changes. She has that same great mix of empathy, intellect, and good judgment that must run in the Hutchison family! They both have many years of experience and I trust them to help me navigate through this challenging process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Health Center. (Assigned nurse: Holly Hutchison)
Holly is very organized and responsive. She uses her good communication skills to guide you through medication instruction, timelines, and dietary/lifestyle recommendations. The written materials provided made things seem much more manageable. She is self-assured and confident in her area of expertise. She is also easy to talk to about sensitive issues.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
You will get a personalized experience at this clinic. This begins with the warm and pleasant feel in the waiting room, then continues with the time and attention taken during the initial consultation. They are there for you until all of your questions are answered.
Information on cost is provided on the website for Reproductive Health Center.
Dr. Hutchison has a strong preference for single embryo transfer. I was well-educated on the tradeoffs.
5 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
5 Eggs Frozen
2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
I live in NYC but was overwhelmed by the expense and coldness of the fertility Doctors/facilities I met with when I explored the idea of freezing my eggs. I was terrified of moving forward given the circumstances, and looked into other places I might consider. My Mother lives in Tucson, AZ and asked for a recommendation out there to look into and Scot Hutchison came highly recommended. I called to speak with him and from the very first phone call I felt such understanding and support for my personal situation, it eliminated all the fears and anxiety that that came with exploring this option in New York City. As a single woman trying to make a decision about egg freezing past a certain age, there are lots of psychological, financial and emotional challenges in the way. It's weird to be saying this - but talking to Dr. Hutchison for 20 minutes was better than a year of therapy for me - however exaggerated that may sound - but it's true. He explained what the process was, what I could expect, and was supportive of my reasons and concerns regarding egg freezing. When I arrived at the clinic for the first appointment I finally got to meet him in person. He was just as warm, kind and helpful as he was over the phone. Dr. Hutchison truly took the time to explain the process and answer any questions I had, with complete patience and professionalism. Every subsequent appointment was like this down to the very egg retrieval itself - my trust was not misplaced. I wish I had a doctor like him watching over my care on a regular basis! I immediately booked a 2nd egg retrieval after my experience with Dr. Hutchison.
Get ready to be completely taken care of - you are in excellent hands.
From the very first phone call with Dr. Hutchison, I felt immense support, honesty and encouragement - all of which I needed but didn't even realize how much until I started care with him and his sister (Holly) at the center where they provide services. Dr. Hutchison is hands down one of the best doctors I have ever had. He was very sensitive to my situation, supportive on every level (from the technical/medical aspects of treatment down to logistics on getting affordable care). He communicated with such knowledge and professionalism I felt nothing but immense trust and gratitude for being able to have him as a provider. I had been to a doctor in NYC who was fine - but definitely felt like a number there in comparison. This was a whole new level of support and care. After one egg retrieval I was so impressed and grateful for the experience I planned a second without even blinking. Words cannot describe how much I appreciate doctors like Scot Hutchison. I wish he could be my OB!
For the first egg retrieval, I was asked to go on the pill until a certain date - this was to plan around a certain date for the retrieval and to I think give my ovaries a bit of a rest. :) According to my age and history, Dr. Hutchison prescribed Menopur and ganirilex, accordingly. He had me come in a day early for one of my sonograms as my eggs started to look as if they were 'ready' a little more quickly than thought (at least that was my understanding although I'm sure the technical medical terminology used was different than how I've described) :) . All appointments were changed according to what was going on with my body reacting to the hormones, and at one point additional ganirilex was prescribed. Although I was told a number of eggs would be retrieved but not all might be mature, they managed to keep me on a dosage and schedule that resulted in all eggs retrieved also being mature - so I kept all that came out!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Health Center.
My nurse (who mostly did blood withdrawal) was lovely. At one point there was some minor confusion about exactly how much ganirilex I needed to purchase at the nearby pharmacy, but we cleared it up after getting in touch with Dr. Hutchison.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
It's hard to find weaknesses - I experienced mostly 'strengths' about the clinic. Every appointment I had was on time (or early if I arrived early). The atmosphere was friendly, yet professional - I felt like I was surrounded by family! They helped me find ways to afford the medications - every aspect of how they run their clinic seems to be geared towards helping patients afford and receive care, while feeling supported during the process. The care is all-inclusive and they don't individually charge for a million things like most other places I researched. They simplified the financial part of the process which helped so much in my making a decision about getting this done. I received full support/instructions on how to give myself injections, etc. Holly Hutchison was on-call for any questions I had (she is absolutely lovely). I even called her on a Sunday with a question - she answered! I have to say this clinic and its staff is fully devoted to their patients - but also giving their patients outstanding support and care!
The treatment was all-inclusive except for one additional blood test I had to do outside the norm to be sure they were timing everything correctly (the cost was minimal - something like $50). Otherwise, treatment was just around $3000. Amazing as the list of treatments involved in New York were closer to $6000 and they charge per procedure in every way they could. The clinic also provided options for me to purchase the drugs/hormones necessary for treatment at an amazing price, which ended up costing around $2000. This is a fraction of what it would have cost me elsewhere. They really make a huge effort to help patients afford care!
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Hutchison is kind, warm, and caring. I know his practice is busy and I never feel like he is rushing or trying to get me out of the way. My husband has also liked him from the get go. He is very optimistic, and provides a lot of information when asked.... Before doing any treatments, Dr. Hutchison is big on health and supplements. He encourages Vitamin D and no drinking alcohol for both partners, no caffeine, and he told me to start Co-q10 to help with egg quality early on.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Dr. Hutchison is kind, warm, and caring. I know his practice is busy and I never feel like he is rushing or trying to get me out of the way. My husband has also liked him from the get go. He is very optimistic, and provides a lot of information when asked. Sometimes I wish that I wouldn’t have to ask to get answers, and he would be more up front with possible scenarios, alternatives to treatment, and side effects. Overall, I’ve been very pleased with his care and I sincerely do trust him. We’ve been seeing him for about a year now, he was referred by a friend. He has gone out of his way to schedule appointments on weekends and random times when I had difficulty finding time. I appreciate that he always calls me back if I have a question. We kept missing each other one time and he called me 3 days in a row until he reached me. He is the only RE at his practice, so if he is out of time, sometimes I had to wait a little longer to get things done, such as testing.
Come with questions prepared and be open to following up with more as needed through phone calls.
The Reproductive Health Center is small and extremely personal. I have felt known by the entire staff and my time was always respected. Dr. Hutchison has always taken the time to call me back personally, have as many follow up appointments as needed to answer my questions. He is warm and kind, and I do feel genuinely cared about in his care.
Before doing any treatments, Dr. Hutchison is big on health and supplements. He encourages Vitamin D and no drinking alcohol for both partners, no caffeine, and he told me to start Co-q10 to help with egg quality early on. I also started taking DHEA. Despite Dr. Hutchison suggesting an IUI, my husband and I opted to try IVF first to ideally bank embryos since I have diminished ovarian reserve. He put me on a DOR protocol- 300 units of Folistim each day and 150 units of Menopur plus Ganirelex (don’t recall the dosage) for the second half of the cycle. The first 5 days of the cycle, I also used a Testosterone patch. Monitoring went well, he predicted 6-8 eggs. I ended up doing only 9 days of injections because of the size of the follicles. He retrieved 6 eggs, all were mature. 5 fertilized, but none made it to 5 day blastocyst. They thought 1 or 2 might make it, but that did not happen. There was not really an explanation for why. Since then, we opted to try an IUI because I have a narrow cervix. For that, I took Letrozole (low dosage) for 5 days, then went in for monitoring on cycle day 9. I had 2 follicles on both sides that were a good size for ovulation. Then I did an Ovidrel trigger shot about 32 hours before the IUI. We are still waiting on our results.
As stated before, this is a small clinic. I only ever dealt with 2 nurses there. One is the main nurse and she is great! She is warm, helpful, an expert at taking blood, and she gives great tips. Occasionally she has called me back for the doctor and always answers my questions thoroughly. She was also the nurse during my retrieval, and I appreciated her compassion and care. The other nurse I spoke with helped me secure medication from over the border by translating for me with the pharmacy. She called me back to remind me of things I would need when purchasing the Menopur, she was a huge help!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinic is very accommodating with your schedule, but know that it is small and there is only one doctor. While I rarely had to wait longer than a week for an appointment, when I was scheduling testing and the doctor was out of town, I would sometimes have to wait an extra month. For new patients, consider that some things take time with this clinic and be aware. The clinic also doesn't call to confirm appointments, so make sure to write them down when you schedule them, or feel free to call to double check times as needed. As strengths, the clinic is comfortable and personable. I always felt welcome there and rarely had to wait longer than a few minutes to be seen. The clinic is very team oriented and they all seem to enjoy their jobs.
My initial testing was covered under my insurance, so I had to just pay a co-pay when I went in ($60 each time), plus the cost of the test. I paid under $300 for all the testing. For an IUI, it was $565. For our IVF cycle, we chose an entire package that included the monitoring appointments, retrieval, anesthesia, ICSI, and biopsy for PGS was $6800. Our embryos didn't make it to be biopsied, so we were credited $800. All of their prices are on their website and they are very transparent.
Dr. Hutchison primarily does single embryo transfer, and from what I understand rarely does multiple embryo transfer because of high risk twin or triplet pregnancies pose.
Tucson
Dr. Hutchison is not a proponent of multiples in pregnancy...Since I was healthy, he allowed me to not use chlomid. He saw me almost daily for ultrasounds leading up to ovulation...He seemed genuinely interested in helping us and was knowledgeable in how to help us....He caught our male factor infertility that our first doctor completely missed...Dr. Hutchison took time to run all the tests and try to catch everything he could before resorting to invitro.
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
He was very warm and friendly. I felt completely at ease with him. He seemed genuinely interested in helping us and was knowledgeable in how to help us. I liked that he told us every step of the way what he was doing and why he was doing it. He caught our male factor infertility that our first doctor completely missed. Our first doctor only wanted to try IUI a couple times, but then go straight to invitro without exploring everything. Dr. Hutchison took time to run all the tests and try to catch everything he could before resorting to invitro. We treated my husband and then tried an IUI. As part of our IUI, he didn't require us to immediately use chlomid, but let me have a natural cycle, since there was nothing wrong with me. It only took one cycle after treating my husband for us to get pregnant.
He took time to talk to me and address any questions I had. I felt like I could ask anything and the allotted appointment time was not a factor in getting them answered.
After referring us to a urologist to get my husband treated, I did an unmedicated cycle our first time with IUI. Dr. Hutchison is not a proponent of multiples in pregnancy, which is better for the mother's health. Since I was healthy, he allowed me to not use chlomid. He saw me almost daily for ultrasounds leading up to ovulation and the day before He was pretty sure I would ovulate, injected me with some hormone to be sure I ovulated the next day. We then did IUI, and it resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinic was very organized at the front desk. Scheduling was smooth and payments were mostly as expected. I was told to get some blood work done without knowing that some of the tests cost upwards of $800. A heads up on that would have been nice, but other than that, all costs were as expected.
After insurance, we paid about $150 per visit, depending on if they did an ultrasound or not. The cost of the blood work that was ordered was surprising. I didn't have any idea that some of the tests would cost over $800. I wish they would have warned us about that (I still would have gone through with it anyway) The rest of the costs were as expected. They usually told us how much each visit would run us before we even showed up for the visit.
While I did not do invitro, I know that Dr. Hutchison is a strong proponent of single embryo transfer, because it results in healthier pregnancies.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Even if you're not ready for aggressive treatment, he [Dr. Hutchison] is there to collaborate and help put you on a positive path towards a healthy pregnancy...We saw Dr. Hutchison at every visit. He did not delegate any part of the process to his nursing staff. He gave us honest advice and followed the plan we wanted. He did not force us into any decision and did not force us into taking aggressive steps until we were ready. When he had the results of our retrieval and genetic testing, he called us on the weekend to explain the good news. He transferred one embryo because he genuinely cares about a healthy pregnancy. He genuinely cares about giving us the best outcome possible.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Dr. Hutchison genuinely cares about helping us and providing the best outcome possible. He cares about ensuring a healthy pregnancy. Dr. Hutchison answered all questions and concerns were had along the way. If we had concerns, he did not make us feel inferior, he helped us understand and made sure we knew every detail of the process. He treated us with compassion in times of sorrow. He gave my body time to heal after a miscarriage before beginning a new cycle. He took time to watch our embryos develop and waited for my body to heal and recover from the egg retrieval before transfer. Dr. Hutchison listens, he cares, he communicates clearly, and even made phone calls to us on the weekend when needed.
Don't wait. Call and make an appointment now. Even if you're not ready for aggressive treatment, he is there to collaborate and help put you on a positive path towards a healthy pregnancy.
I felt like a human because every staff member, including Dr. Hutchison, treated us like family. Every staff member knew where we were at in the process, were sympathetic when we miscarried, and offered words of support without us asking. We saw Dr. Hutchison at every visit. He did not delegate any part of the process to his nursing staff. He gave us honest advice and followed the plan we wanted. He did not force us into any decision and did not force us into taking aggressive steps until we were ready. When he had the results of our retrieval and genetic testing, he called us on the weekend to explain the good news. He transferred one embryo because he genuinely cares about a healthy pregnancy. He genuinely cares about giving us the best outcome possible.
The entire staff knew where we were at in the process. The knew our first names and called us by our first names. They offer words of support when needed and without asking.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
Everyone in the clinic works as a team. The entire staff is involved in the process. The clinic truly feels like a family all working towards the same goal for every patient. They are organized and process everything in a timely manner. The clinic is quiet, clean, and inviting.
Our insurance covered some of the cost. We paid our co-pay at each visit. During the IVF process, we coordinated a payment schedule to cover the large amount that our insurance did not cover. The monthly payment was determined by us.
eSET was perfect for us. Dr. Hutchison and his team identified the best and healthiest embryos that they thought would last to full term. He did not rush the process and transfer an embryo within a week of retrieval. With this process, his team ensures proper development of the embryos over time, genetic testing to make sure the embryos are healthy, and time to allow my body to recover after the retrieval before transfer to give the embryo the best place to thrive.
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Hutchison and his sister Holly are incredibly personable and kind. They know your name and your partner's name. The ask you to call them by their first name and they will spend as much time answering questions as you need...We saw more of him in the first few weeks of treatment, than we saw of our first doctor during two years of treatment. I did feel a little like he beat around the bush when answering questions, probably in an attempt not to get locked into one thing. But he is very knowledgeable and patient...
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
We were happily surprised by our experience with Scot. We saw more of him in the first few weeks of treatment, than we saw of our first doctor during two years of treatment. I did feel a little like hr beat around the bush when answering questions, probably in an attempt not to get locked into one thing. But he is very knowledgeable nnd patient.
Make sure that you do your own research amd homework. If you don't know two right questions to ask, then you won't get the answers you need.
Cycle one: follistim 325 ius, lupron to suppress ovulation, overstimulation, cycle cancelled Cycle two: follistim 200 ius, lupron to suppress, 15 eggs, 6 embryos, 3 genetically Normal embryos, 1 chemical pregnancy, treatment still in progress Transfers: progesterone in oil injections, progesterone vaginal suppositories, oral estrogen, estrogen suppositories, prednisone, baby aspirin
One full time nurse and a tech of some kind. Nurse is very kind, knowledgeable, and compassionate. Very little time spent with tech, but she is very kind.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
Strengths: warm atmosphere, personable amd knowledgeable staff, variety of treatment options, encouraging attitudes, Weaknesses: slightly disorganized in regards to moving from one step to the next, unclear financials when dealing with insurance but I'm not sure this is the clinics fault
Transfers cost approximately $1000 Ivf with pgs costs approximately $9000 for the for cycle, I think $5000 for the second, and I think $3000 for the third
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
When we first came to see Dr. Hutchison, we sat down with him as he explained our fertility issues. My husband is not at all biologically inclined. But Dr. Hutchison took the time to explain our issues in a way that a biologically illiterate person could understand. He has calls me himself with results and answers any questions I might have....He's not as aggressive as othet doctors. So if your desires are to have quadruplets, he's not the guy for you.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
The staff and doctor at RHC is friendly but honest. They cared when I miscarried, are available after hours and refer patients to outside help when needed.
We started with IUIs. We did 3 tries and he explained that statistically, that was all we should do. We moved on to IVF with our own eggs and sperm. The first harvest was successful with lots (almost too many) eggs, half of which fertilized. We opted not to do genetic testing based on price and our health and age. Of that harvest, we did 1 fresh and 6 frozen transfers. It yielded 1 child. Our next round of IVF was unsuccessful. 8 eggs, 4 fertilized and 1 lived to genetically test. It was abnormal. The recommendation from the doctor was to see a nutritionalist. We were recommended to Hana Feeney. Working with her, we have discovered some food sensitivities and have access to higher quality vitamins. Our most recent harvest was 12 eggs, 6 fertilized and 2 were genetically sound. We took a risk and did a fresh transfer without having the results of the genetics test. My hormone levels were perfect and the embryo looked text book perfect they said. I am currently pregnant.
The staff at RHC works as a cohesive team. They communicate well and step in for one another as needed in any place they are needed. They act as a nice family serving the community. They answer all questions and refer to the doctor when needed.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinic is very clean, professional and relaxed. They are good at making you feel comfortable when you are scared and have no clue what is going on or what to do. As for weaknesses, maybe that they are not as aggressive as some patients would like. I don't want an aggressive treatment, but this is what I've heard from others who have sought treatments at this clinic.
A harvest, including medication is around $10K. Genetic testing used to be $7K, now is about $3K. Frozen embryo transfers are about $3K, I think.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. Scot Hutchison] makes sure he understands everything about your case, makes sure you understand everything about your case, and then he works with you to get where you want to be. He doesn't claim to know all of the answers, and he'll quickly adjust treatments if they aren't working or if new options become available. He won't give you false hope, or sugar cote the truth, but he will be honest and provide you realistic options for care. After 5 years of fighting infertility, I know that patients need straightforward answers and plausible options, including odds of success. Dr. Hutchison is great at that, even when the truth is hard to hear. He isn't just tre
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Dr. Hutchison is honest and trustworthy, kind and compassionate. He makes sure he understands everything about your case, makes sure you understand everything about your case, and then he works with you to get where you want to be. He doesn't claim to know all of the answers, and he'll quickly adjust treatments if they aren't working or if new options become available. He won't give you false hope, or sugar cote the truth, but he will be honest and provide you realistic options for care. After 5 years of fighting infertility, I know that patients need straightforward answers and plausible options, including odds of success. Dr. Hutchison is great at that, even when the truth is hard to hear. He isn't just treating infertility, he's treating patients as whole people. That includes lifestyle, diet, and mental and emotion health. As infertility effects every aspect of your life, this holistic treatment is important. My results were neither quick nor easy, but I couldn't say a single bad thing about Dr. Hutchison.
Don't go in expecting instant results, and be prepared for the sometimes harsh reality of the truth. If you're willing to put in the effort, know that Dr. Hutchison will be too.
Dr. Hutchison was my second infertility doctor. My first made me feel horrible, and didn't care about me or even my results, it only felt like they wanted money. Dr. Hutchison made me feel like it was okay to keep trying, but also like it was okay to stop. He taught me to consider myself, my marriage and my needs, outside of my infertility. He helped me understand I was not my infertility. His whole clinic supported me, were available for questions, fully explained our options, and respected my decisions. No infertility experience is good, but it can be made better or worse by your doctor. Dr. Hutichison does everything he can to make it better.
I had a lot of protocols. The protocols consisted of vitamins, estrogen, progesterone, vaginal suppositories, baby asprin, occasionally antibiotics, subcutaneous injections in the stomach, subcutaneous injections of blood thinners, and sometimes inter-muscular injections in the hips. Side effects included thirst, hot flashes, mood swings, occasional dizziness, and occasional nausea. The treatments were intended to optimize my ability to produce as many eggs as possible during retrieval, or to prepare my body to accept a transferred embryo, and support/maintain a pregnancy after transfer. I got pregnant three times but miscarried twice. After each miscarriage the protocol was adjusted. The final, and successful, protocol was much different than the standard protocol and was intended to strip my body of all estrogen, basically establish a baseline, and build up the optimal conditions from scratch. We are 17 weeks pregnant now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Health Center. (Assigned nurse: Holly coordinated my care.)
Holly was amazing. She was knowledgeable and kind. She was always available and never treated me like I was a bother or burden. She was quick and efficient to respond and worked hard to help me with the whole process, including finances and tough choices about non-viable embryos.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinic was great. They were always available, kind, and considerate. Occasionally, I would go to get my blood drawn and the lab wouldn't have the orders from the clinic. It's also important that you fully understand your payment plan, because not all staff have access to that information.
Costs varied based on procedure. The Doctor and Holly provided special pricing for every protocol as my circumstances changed. It never felt like it was about the money. They were very flexible about payment plans and helped us get discounted medicine and infertility loans as well.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Hutchison took interest in my personal journey and what led me to his office. Rather than look at me like a stat and apply a prescription approach, he gave advice and protocols that suited my situation....One thing that a potential patient might see as a drawback that Dr. H. rarely does fresh transfers which is different from other doctors in town. This is because he's looking for optimal levels before doing to increase the chances of pregnancy. While I understand the diligence of this, it's different than other doctors and during my retrieval I would have just liked to have given it a try, even if the odds were low. We were planning on doing genetic testing and a frozen transfer the following month anyhow so to me it didn't seem like it would have hurt to try a fresh transfer. Another notable difference is that he does not like to transfer more than o
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Regardless of who you see, I think it's important to ask ALL the questions you have. The doctor should be able to give you thorough answers without making you feel anxious, rushed, or stupid.
Dr. H and the other employees in his office take the time to speak with you about your situation. They provide you with informative data and statistics while also providing realistic expectations about what to expect. Moreover, they can put all that aside to spend time with you and just talk about your individual circumstance and provide advice that suits your individual needs.
The nursing staff takes time to get to know you over your time with them. They are compassionate and personable.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinic is great at providing space and time for their clients. The staff is wonderful. They make the client feel like they genuinely care about your situation. One thing that a potential patient might see as a drawback that Dr. H. rarely does fresh transfers which is different from other doctors in town. This is because he's looking for optimal levels before doing to increase the chances of pregnancy. While I understand the diligence of this, it's different than other doctors and during my retrieval I would have just liked to have given it a try, even if the odds were low. We were planning on doing genetic testing and a frozen transfer the following month anyhow so to me it didn't seem like it would have hurt to try a fresh transfer. Another notable difference is that he does not like to transfer more than one embryo unless there's significant reason to do so. This is negotiable to some degree. AND, of course, this IS ethical, best-practice due to the innumerable complications that can come to mother/baby with multiples. Still, some patients may be frustrated with that view after putting so much into the IVF process. Overall, RHC was the most diligent, responsive reproductive clinic I found in Tucson. I appreciated their care while going through this challenging part of our life.
Comparable to other prices in the state for the process/procedures. Did not do frivilous testing but was diligent and thorough.
Other, Unexplained
Scot [Hutchison] is simply wonderful. He starts at the beginning, carefully answering all questions. He is upbeat and positive while managing expectations appropriately. He seems to genuinely care about his patients (both partners) and goes out of his way to make sure you are comfortable and cared for....I had tried drugs and IUI with a different provider, so Scot recommending skipping to IVF. We followed a protocol using follistim for egg stimulation, a different drug that I don't recall to prevent premature ovulation, an hcg trigger shot a specific period of time prior to retrieval, and then progesterone prior to and after transfer. I conceived and delivered a beautiful baby boy on the third retrieval after a chemical pregnancy on the first retrieval. Also, Scot and his team emphasize the importance of a good diet during and before fertility treatments and pregnancy.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Scot is simply wonderful. He starts at the beginning, carefully answering all questions. He is upbeat and positive while managing expectations appropriately. He seems to genuinely care about his patients (both partners) and goes out of his way to make sure you are comfortable and cared for.
Choose him over anyone else in Tucson. I started with a different provider and working with Scot was a huge upgrade.
I love everyone who works at Reproductive Health Institute from Carol to Pamela to Scot to Holly, and more. Everything about the experience is as pleasant as it could be from the waiting room to the bathrooms to the communicate style of the staff. Everyone is knowledgeable and able to answer questions. The team is professional and kind and able to give medical recommendations while contextualizing them for your life and your emotional needs.
Holly is amazing. She is organized, so prompt in her communication and responses, makes herself available at all hours not just for technical questions but for a reassuring pep talk if you need it. And Pamela and the rest of the team who support Holly and Scot are equally wonderful.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The staff and the environment are wonderful. I can't thing of any weaknesses.
This is difficult to tease apart but something like this... $3,000 to $4,000 per retrieval/transfer cycle in medication costs (to pharmacy). $60 per acupuncture session (to acupuncturist) $3,000 - $5,000 per retrieval and transfer cycle depending on cycle
2013 - 2015
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I first sought treatment with Dr. Hutchison. He did all the infertility testing and had no real reason for our lack of getting pregnant. After my HSG, he said give it 6 more months, so I assumed everything was fine...I wish now that he would've suggested IUI right after the HSG....He was very quick in the room and didn't spend a lot of time. Sometimes he forgot my situation and didn't seem to fully remember where we were and how many cycles we've done.
2013 - 2015
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
I first sought treatment with Dr. Hutchison. He did all the infertility testing and had no real reason for our lack of getting pregnant. After my HSG, he said give it 6 more months, so I assumed everything was fine and I would eventually get pregnant. Without a diagnosis I let it go even longer (about another year) because I assumed our fertility was fine. I wish now that he would've suggested IUI right after the HSG. I would've started treatments a lot sooner and perhaps had better success. We did 5 IUI's with him. My husband didn't think Dr. Hutchison was personable. So when we finally decided to move on to IVF we went to a different doctor.
When you are ready to try IUI or IVF, you need to say when because he will not seek you or push you.
I did several IUI's with Clomid and my dosages were upped after the first cycle, but then we had the right amount to produce multiple follicles.
With just doing IUI's the only nursing staff you saw was the lady who would walk you back to your room. She wouldn't even tell you what to undress (like waist down), just pointed to your room.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The waiting room was nice and comfy with private little sofas for each couple. Typical doctor's office with the receptionist behind a sliding glass window. Most of the women running the office are older women.
The cost of an IUI was $600.
Tucson
Dr Hutchison was always so kind, personable, and I always walked in and he asked about my husband by name and remembered our hobbies, interests and other personal matters and asked about them and us as if humans not numbers...He was friendly, patient and kind as all of this was new info for me. He took the time to answer my 100s of questions without hesitation and I always felt like a personal friend not a number, he remembered our hobbies, interests and personal matters, he always explained things to me and his thoughts and concerns.
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
He was friendly, patient and kind as all of this was new info for me. He took the time to answer my 100s of questions without hesitation and I always felt like a personal friend not a number, he remembered our hobbies, interests and personal matters, he always explained things to me and his thoughts and concerns. If we hadn't moved back to IN I would still be seeing him. We even talked about flying out to see him if I can't find a Dr here that I like. He set a high standard for me in my opinion of a dr.
He's a great Dr and I can't recommend him enough or say enough good things about him
He thought I had PCOS, he did multiple tests (can't remember all the names etc.) I remember him explaining them all and he was there to follow through each one and worked with me living 1.5 hours away
Always friendly, eager to help and greeted me by name as if I were an old friend
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
This clinic is great, the staff is well rounded and everyone's teamwork meshes perfectly. I never had any issues even now that we have moved back to IN. I've called for refills and request of records multiple times and they are always so eager to help me out and they always wish me well in our new endeavors
Tucson
I appreciate Hutchison's cautious optimism. He explains the risks and percentages of success for different treatments without making the whole process seem too daunting or overwhelming. He also personally calls me with different test results and is always available to answer questions or concerns...Do not expect quick results. Hutchison's process is slow, with many tests and a big emphasis on diet and supplements.
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
The entire office staff is incredibly warm and personable. My questions and concerns are rapidly answered and addressed.
Given my advanced age, the emphasis has been on improving egg quality with diet and supplements (DHEA, CoQ10). I underwent three retrieval cycles with PGS.
Both Holly and Pamela are wonderful. They are excellent communicators and are very helpful in navigating the complicated medications and schedules. Holly is always available at any time.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
It is a small clinic, so very personable and it is easy to book appointments. A booklet with extensive information on sourcing meds is provided, and they are very helpful in working with you to source them at reasonable cost.
Three IVF retrievals (including transfers), PGS testing, and medication has totaled $27,000.
There is a strong preference for elective single embryo transfer given the extensive risks with multiple births.
2013 - 2018
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
He [Dr. Hutchinson] is very even keel and has a calming demeanor. He is very knowledgable, straight forward, understands the new technology and processes and is always flexible about meeting with you any day of the week.... In my case, my body only responds to Menopur, an injectable. Depending on if I was doing an IUI or IVF i would use 2-4 viles daily for 5-12 days. With this medicine, I would start to produce follicles. Once I had follicles we were able to proceed with treatments.
2013 - 2018
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
He is very even keel and has a calming demeanor. He is very knowledgable, straight forward, understands the new technology and processes and is always flexible about meeting with you any day of the week. It
Be sure to let him know your thoughts and feelings.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The atmosphere is more cozy and traditional compared to others. Its great because you get to know all the staff, feel at home, lots of reading materials and handouts are abailable. After your initial visit, be sure to read and understand as many aspects of the process, so you can ask intellegent questions moving forward.
Costs are very reasonable. I believe and IUI costs $540 plus the costs for medications. The IVF process has a sliding scale; I think the first round is around $9500 plus the cost of medications.
Dr H prefers to only transfer 1 embryo due to the high risks involved for mothers and babies if its twins, triplets or more. Since starting the IUI and IVF process I have met many people who do not want the risk and are glad this is how he proceeds.
Tucson
He [Dr. Hutchison] took time to get to know me and what my expectations were...What I appreciated most was his honesty and forthrightness about expected results. He told me we could try three IUIs and that any more than that would not (statistically) yield positive results. When the third test came back negative, he told me he would do another IUI if that's what I wanted, but he would not encourage it. He didn't try to get me to spend more money for needless procedures and he never preyed on my fragile emotional state during infertility...
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Be willing to listen to his advice. He cares deeply about his patients and the welfare of the child they hope to carry. While the woman is his patient on paper, his concern is also with the baby. If you hate salmon (like I do), but he tells you the benefits of eating salmon both before and during pregnancy, be willing to try it.
He took time to get to know me and what my expectations were.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinic was professional and compassionate. The waiting room was comfortable. I don't remember seeing any young children/babies in the waiting room (I'm not certain what their policy is on this).
Tucson
Dr. Hutchison was transparent, warm, and attentive. He gave me a lot of details and information about what his recommendations/diagnoses were based on, which I found helpful, especially since they were not the same as my previous doctor's....I also appreciated that he gave me a range of possible interventions, from less to more aggressive, rather than jumping straight to invasive procedures....Dr. Hutchison seemed interested in who I was as a person, beyond my medical needs, and remembered what I had told him in subsequent appointments.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Dr. Hutchison was transparent, warm, and attentive. He gave me a lot of details and information about what his recommendations/diagnoses were based on, which I found helpful, especially since they were not the same as my previous doctor's. This transparency was part of why I trusted his recommendations. I also appreciated that he gave me a range of possible interventions, from less to more aggressive, rather than jumping straight to invasive procedures.
Ask a lot of questions.
Dr. Hutchison seemed interested in who I was as a person, beyond my medical needs, and remembered what I had told him in subsequent appointments. He also personally called me on several occasions.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
One of the things that I liked about this clinic was that it was relatively small, and that seemed to facilitate communication between people in different roles. I also like that I was able to get my blood drawn at a lab location more convenient to my house.
My medication and diagnostics were covered by insurance.
2012 - 2017
Very sensitive nice man [Dr. Hutchinson]. Always attentive, never ina hurry. In every visit we were very comfrotable by him and his staff...I never wanted to be over medicated and he respected that...we used alternates advised by him...Attentive, shows empathy and compassion for patients...he did in my case. Made sure i was comfortable at evry step of the way. He took his time and was never rushing or pressuring. Love this man! Great professional doctor!..he know what he is doing.
2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
None...just to trust him...he know what he is doing.
Very sensitive nice man. Always attentive, never ina hurry. In every visit we were very comfrotable by him and his staff. Environment and simply just every thing was relaxing and welcoming.
I don't remember exactly something I do keep in mind is that I never wanted to be over medicated and he respected that...we used alternates advised by him
Staff showed they cared the same as Dr. They also had a translator who was also very professional and very helpful in our process
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
Upon entering you get a sensation of tranquility. Classical music in the background, smiling staff, everything in its place and clean
Tucson
If I could have Dr. Hutchison as my primary care Dr I would. I had previously been to a couple of endocrinologists for help with PCOS and didn't receive any help or explanation to help me understand PCOS. Dr Hutchison was the first dr who I felt took me seriously and helped me find solutions to reach my goals... Dr. Hutchison genuinely cared about helping us. He was honest and was one of the only doctors who offered treatment for PCOS that was beyond "lose weight". He took the time to track our progress and to even call personally to offer encouragement.
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Do some research in advance so you can ask questions and get the most out of your appointments
Clomid, metformin, nutritional therapy, IUI
The nurses had a great bedside manner and always made you feel welcome. They were always happy to answer questions and were very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinics strengths are the knowledgeable staff working there.
Tucson
[Dr Scot Hutchison was] very informative. Didn't push me to move on to IVF at anytime and allowed me to make all decisions regarding my care without being pushy. He was always honest and didn't push me to spend money on injectables when I didn't need them. I had a wonderful experience at his office and will be returning when I am ready to try for my second child
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
He is an amazing Scott. Very informative. Didn't push me to move on to IVF at anytime and allowed me to make all decisions regarding my care without being pushy. He was always honest and didn't push me to spend money on injectables when I didn't need them. I had a wonderful experience at his office and will be returning when I am ready to try for my second child
He is the best
He was always very informative, kind and great bed side manner.
He allowed me to try my first iui without medication. For try number 2 and 3 we used clomid. When those didn't work we used Famera for try 4 and 5 and I got pregnant on my 5th try if iui!
Sweet and always prompt and efficient.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
I always got seen when my appt was scheduled and never had to wait. I was always in and out of the clinic quickly. They answers all my questions when I would call. Very professional.
I paid about 340 per try for insmination, ultrasound and the trigger shot.
2012 - 2016
After my second miscarriage Dr. Hutchinson ran some blood work that determined I would need a blood thinner. When I asked him if there was anything else I could try he provided me information on a human growth shot....Dr. Hutchinson was very pleasant and patient with us answering all our question and making us feel very comfortable with each decision.
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
Be open minded, we went in thinking I would get pregnant the first time. It took us nearly 3 years.
I felt like a human from our first visit, they were very caring and compassionate during the whole process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Health Center. (Assigned nurse: Holly Hutchinson)
Holly Hutchinson was amazing and such a blessing to us. She was always there when I had late night questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
The clinic was very professional and friendly.
We had some help from our insurance.
Tucson
...Dr. Hutchinson took the time to get to know us, explained options and was available via phone when we had follow up questions...We arrived at Dr. Hutchinson's office after a frustrating year of trying to get pregnant and we walked out of our first appointment with hope and a plan...
How was your experience with Scot Hutchison at Reproductive Health Center?
We arrived at Dr. Hutchinson's office after a frustrating year of trying to get pregnant and we walked out of our first appointment with hope and a plan. Dr. Hutchinson took the time to get to know us, explained options and was available via phone when we had follow up questions.
Relax, you are in good hands.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Health Center.
We were able to get appointments and procedures scheduled quickly which made us feel like we were getting closer and closer to what we so dearly wanted. I'm writing this as my daughter naps and I am grateful for Dr. Hutchinson and his team for their thoughtful approach and role in helping us create our family.