Scott Kauma

Monroeville
400 Oxford Drive,
Monroeville, PA 15146
412-641-1600
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Scott Kauma to a friend?
Don't recommend: 100%0

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UPMC Magee to a friend?
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
He [Dr. Scott Kauma] was blunt about procedures without providing specific details of success rates. It wasn’t until our 2nd failed IUI and a cancelled IUI that he finally gave us an estimate of our odds of success. I felt important information was kept away from us, such as who would be performing procedures as well as success rates. He was very cold when performing my HSG and acted annoyed that I was so nervous. I would never recommend this man.
I would call a general nurse line [at UPMC- Magee] instead of having a specific nurse. You’re constantly describing who you are and your situation since you’re always dealing with someone new. Before my 1st IUI they failed to order my trigger shot which resulted in me leaving work and barely making it in time to a specialty pharmacy to pick it up.... Unless you live downtown, the location is a pain to get to. The office itself is large and clean though. The weaknesses of this place are success rates, communication, and bedside manner. The only strength I can think of is if a test or procedure went horribly wrong, you’re at least all ready at a hospital.
2 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Scott Kauma at UPMC Magee?
He was blunt about procedures without providing specific details of success rates. It wasn’t until our 2nd failed IUI and a cancelled IUI that he finally gave us an estimate of our odds of success. I felt important information was kept away from us, such as who would be performing procedures as well as success rates. He was very cold when performing my HSG and acted annoyed that I was so nervous. I would never recommend this man.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Kauma at UPMC Magee?
LOOK UP the clinics success rates! Magee may be the premiere women’s hospital but that does not make them the best fertility clinic. Please, please do your research. This was our first fertility clinic experience and hind sight is 20/20. Go elsewhere!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Kauma at UPMC Magee?
Our emotional well being and financial involvement were never taken into consideration while dealing with Dr. Kauma and the staff at Magees. My experience with Dr. Kauma and the fertility clinic at Magee Hospital was overall infuriating. 1. I asked twice when I should get my medications for IUI. I was told twice to not worry about it and they would notify me. The day I was called to take my trigger injection I had no medication! After a short apology by the nurse, I had to leave work early to drive to a specialty pharmacy to pick up the medication. 2. I had 2 IUI procedures done by 2 doctors I had never met. I was never told that my doctor wouldn’t be doing the procedures until I was there and in a gown on the table. 3. Dr. Kauma had terrible bedside manner when it came to my HSG test. I was visually nervous and upset and only the nurse seemed to care. 4. Our last straw was being required to meet with a RE in training (attending? Resident? I don’t remember the proper terminology) before talking with him about why our IUI’s hadn’t worked. I was obviously not doing well mentally and emotionally and was still used as a training opportunity by an incompetent individual. This RE proceeded to tell me “it’s ok hunny, you’re young, you will get pregnant”. NOTHING in life except for death is 100%. You cannot make these declarations to emotional women, especially when their success rates are not great. She then also proceeded to quote us a price for IVF while handing us a flier with a much larger price written on it. Disorganized, uncaring, and only it it for the money.
Describe the protocols Scott Kauma used in your cycles at UPMC Magee and their degree of success.
We did a clomid cycle with planned intercourse, 2 IUI’s (failed), and then had a 3rd IUI that was cancelled due to low sperm count.
I would call a general nurse line instead of having a specific nurse. You’re constantly describing who you are and your situation since you’re always dealing with someone new. Before my 1st IUI they failed to order my trigger shot which resulted in me leaving work and barely making it in time to a specialty pharmacy to pick it up.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Kauma at UPMC Magee.
From memory, IUI was approximately $3000 each.
Describe Scott Kauma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UPMC Magee.
Unknown as we left and pursued care elsewhere.
What specific things went wrong at UPMC Magee?
Scott Kauma
UPMC Magee
Magee
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Scott Kauma at UPMC Magee.