VCU Medical Center

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolSt. Louis U.
ResidencyU. of South Florida
FellowshipU. of Texas SA
9000 Stony Point Parkway
Richmond, VA 23235
804-560-8950
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Scott Lucidi to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend VCU Medical Center to a friend?
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Lucidi] is warm and friendly, but is realistic about expected outcomes and setting expectations for success. He keeps your health in mind as well as the health of potential babies, and is cautious in transferring the right number of embryos to limit risk of pre-term birth and other complications.... Dr. L always had a sense of humor to lighten the mood in what can be a very emotionally charged process. When I did let him know I was struggling emotionally, he was very compassionate and referred me to a trust specialist who deals with infertility, loss and birth trauma.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
He is warm and friendly, but is realistic about expected outcomes and setting expectations for success. He keeps your health in mind as well as the health of potential babies, and is cautious in transferring the right number of embryos to limit risk of pre-term birth and other complications.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Talk to him and let him know if you have concerns or are struggling. He very receptive to feedback and is not bothered by communication between visits.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Describe the protocols Scott Lucidi used in your cycles at VCU Medical Center and their degree of success.
From what I remember, we did a medicated egg retrieval in 2016 with frequent ultrasounds to assess follicle progress. Fortunately things went as planned, and we proceeded with a retrieval without having to make any adjustments to the medications or timing. I was monitored with both blood hormone levels and ultrasounds frequently. We had a successful retrieval followed by a 5 day transfer of a fresh embryo which resulted in a singleton birth (my daughter), and sent 9 embryos to freeze. We have since done one Natural FET cycle supplemented with a HcG trigger, which did not result in pregnancy. We are currently looking forward to our second FET, again with HcG trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
Courtney was always available and accessible and offered timely return of phone calls. I felt she was as invested in our success as much as we were, if not more sometimes.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I've worked with two separate clinics with the same doctor. Both have been positive experiences. VCU IVF is brand-new, with clean, cheery offices, a state-of-the-art OR and embryo lab. There are also multiple options for getting blood drawn that are convenient and provide rapid results with access to results online through a portal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center.
FET $2600 ER ~$20,000 (with with 6 transfers included)
Describe Scott Lucidi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at VCU Medical Center.
I don't have many (if any health issues), just age working against me, so he recommended single transfer for both my fresh and my frozen transfers. I understand the risks of multiples are real, and appreciate he's taking a safe approach and keeping a long-term perspective.
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Unexplained
He genuinely cares for you. He makes sure that you understand everything that is happening. He spends as much time as you need answering your questions. Even repeating them a million times if needed....He is easy to get in touch with. Always pleasant. He talks to you and your husband equally.... I wasn’t ovulating due to PCOS. We did two cycles of clomid. The second time I did not ovulate so we changed to femara.... After four cycles of ovulation l, I was able to conceive.
2014 - 2018
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
I have nothing bad to say about him. He’s been the best. He’s never negative. He always gives me hope even on bad days. He is easy to get in touch with. Always pleasant. He talks to you and your husband equally. He remembers exactly who you are and your story. He can always make you laugh no matter what you are going thru. And he knows when to let you cry.
Give him a try and see what he says. Don’t give up hope because of your regular ob gyn
He’s super caring and wants to make you pregnant. He genuinely cares for you. He makes sure that you understand everything that is happening. He spends as much time as you need answering your questions. Even repeating them a million times if needed.
With my first child I wasn’t ovulating due to PCOS. We did two cycles of clomid. The second time I did not ovulate so we changed to femara. After four cycles of ovulation l, I was able to conceive. Currently, I have been able to reverse my PCOS with weight loss. I have been been ovulating on my own since April 2017. We have also used femara to boost ovulation. When that didn’t work, we attempted iui in September and November. My husband and I took a break for the holidays and ended up buying a house. We can only afford iui one more time and we have been waiting to be stress free before we try again
I love them. All of them are in the right profession! I could never work in infertility. I am a nurse myself and it would be so difficult working with women everyday going thru such mental anguish and depression. They are so compassionate and kind when you call with the results of negative pregnancy tests or to tell them your cycle has started.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Dr durso is dr Luicidis partner. I’ve seen her several times and was not a fan. She does not have goood Bessie manner and does not make you feel good about the process. I always had to ask the nurse questions because she would leave the room before I could talk with her. I literally always left in tears after seeing her. She is not a good communicator
Almost everything has been covered by my insurance or a grant provided by my employer. These funds have been exhausted at this point.
We don’t have the funds to afford this.
Richmond
Dr. Lucidi has been so good with us in balancing our reality and being sensitive to our feelings. He takes time to answer all my questions and help me understand where we are and options for the path forward....I have been very happy with our care by Dr Lucidi. He has been sensitive and truthful. He has also offered hope balanced by reality. He has made efforts to adjust my appointments and schedule to be sure he was the doctor I would see.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Even though we haven’t brought a baby home (yet), I have been very happy with our care by Dr Lucidi. He has been sensitive and truthful. He has also offered hope balanced by reality. He has made efforts to adjust my appointments and schedule to be sure he was the doctor I would see. One point that could matter to others: he has not significantly altered our course of treatment and I don’t know if another regimen could possibly result in better results. VCU has specially priced medications which results in HUGE savings in comparison to other clinics. This has been big for us since we have done multiple rounds of injectiable medications.
Ask what the plan would be if you don’t respond to treatment as expected. What other courses of treatment might be options.
Dr. Lucidi has been so good with us in balancing our reality and being sensitive to our feelings. He takes time to answer all my questions and help me understand where we are and options for the path forward. The nurses are amazing! Their kindness and compassion has really helped through the discouraging days.
My dose of Gonal-F was increased when I did not respond well to IVF drugs. We cancelled prior to egg retrieval based on poor response (few follicles and low estradiol). The second round, I started on the higher dose of Gonal-F and added Menopur. The same regiment was used for our third round. The results were not all that different in terms of follicles produced for all 3 rounds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Waltman)
Courtney and Christine are amazing! They will answer any question, big or small. They make you feel every question is a valid question and they show compassion always. They always call back the same day.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
During all of my many appointments, there was only one that they were significantly delayed. They told me when I arrived that it would be 30-45 minutes if I wanted to come back later. Otherwise, they are always right on time. The facility is new and very nice. It’s also quiet and feels private which I appreciate.
I did the guarantee program with ICSI which cost $22,000. The covers up to 6 IVF cycles and money is returned if it does not result in a live birth. Medications run $500-700/ovarian stimulation, and anesthesia is $500/egg retrieval. IUIs cost about $500/cycle.
We transferred all embryos produced on Day 3 because I had so few.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Our experience with Dr. Lucidi has been wonderful. I have tried other clinics in the past, but never really felt comfortable with them. Dr. Lucidi has thoroughly explained each treatment before we begin. This has included risks, any potential concerns, chance of success, step-by-step details on what the treatment entails. He has a very gentle and honest approach with every interaction we have. Dr. Lucidi is quick to respond to any follow-up questions or concerns we have that come up outside of his office. We also have not had any issues with not getting appointments scheduled with him. My only regret is not finding Dr. Lucidi sooner!
Do not be afraid to be honest and open in your conversations with Dr. Lucidi. There is no judgement. He is very understanding of what's going on. He uses humor from time to time, which caught us off guard at first. This isn't something we had experienced with our doctors.
Dr. Lucidi has a great sense of humor, which really has helped put us at ease throughout our fertility journey. He has been very patient with all of our questions and doesn't get frustrated if we have asked the same questions before. Dr. Lucidi is very easy to talk to. I feel like I can be honest with how I'm feeling and can express concerns without judgement. He allows me to cry when needed without embarrassment. Dr. Lucidi is very gentle with his approach. I feel he has our best interest in mind every time we see. He doesn't pressure us or force us to make decisions on the spot. With each step, we've been able to take as much time as needed before moving into the next step. He's also available when needed outside of our appointments when we've had questions.
We began our fertility journey again after a break of approx. 5 years. This was due to needing time to heal past heartbreak, several moves from my job, and a surgery that delayed our progress. After moving to Virginia, I was referred to Dr. Lucidi by some friends. Because we had already completed may cycles with clomid and at least five or six IUIs at our prior fertility clinic, Dr. Lucidi began with some examinations and tests to insure things hadn't changed. While none of the prior treatments were successful, Dr. Lucidi recommended trying the IUI process two more times just to see what happened. With each treatment, he was able to see how my ovaries and uterus responded to the fertility drugs. He could also map my cervice and uterus to determine the best route my body needed for the catheter. To ensure we had a good number of follicles, I had several ultrasounds prior to the IUI to keep checking the progress. Dr. Lucidi wanted to ensure I was ovulating but didn't want to put me at risk of conceiving multiple babies. He prefers single births or twins to allow for a healthy pregnancy and baby. Unfortunately, my IUI treatments did not result in pregnancy. We are now looking to begin IVF treatment. Dr. Lucidi has walked us through what is involved, the risks, the chances of conceiving, what to expect with the medications, etc. We will start with regulating my cycle with birth control pills. After a few weeks, we should be able to start the drugs to prepare for the egg retrieval. They will also do an analysis of my husband's sperm to ensure there's no infertility risks there before they inseminate my eggs. After the eggs are fertilized, he said it could be about two weeks before they can complete a transfer. This allow time to see if the embryos form and to have the fertility drugs help prepare my uterus. During this time, I will be going to the clinic about every other day for an ultrasound to determine when my body is ready for the transfer. Dr. Lucidi recommended doing the frozen transfer because they have had a better success rate based on past studies. We could do a fresh transfer if we desired, but have opted to follow his recommendation on the frozen transfer. At this time, we are hoping to begin our IVF journey at the end of this year or early 2019.
Courtney has been fantastic to work with. She's got a friendly personality and is genuinely concerned for her patients. For us, she has gone above and beyond. As we began to consider IVF, we ran into a problem with our insurance company. She helped with the clinic and our insurance company to get VCU certified as a center for excellence. This will allow not only us to continue our treatments with them, but allow others with the same insurance to see Dr. Lucidi's assistance. This was a time consuming process that took 3-4 months to complete. During this time, she routinely checked in on me to see how we were doing while we waited to see what happened. Courtney goes above and beyond to care for her patients.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
The clinic moved to a new building earlier this year. It is very modern and allows for privacy. The staff is very friendly. The only thing that bothers me is that there seems to be a new receptionist every we time we go. This might just be the way VCU operates, but I would like to be able to build rapport with the full staff we interact with.
Each IUI cycle was about $300. Thankfully our medical insurance helps cover a portion of the costs. IVF is estimated to be around $8,000. We are still trying to determine what portion our insurance will cover. I do not recall what the cost of the medication has been.
Dr. Lucidi prefers single embryo transfers to reduce the chances of multiple births. He is very concerned with the risks involved in a multi-embryo pregnancy. His goal is to keep the mother's risks as low as possible and do everything he can to allow for the birth of a healthy baby.
1 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
when our IVF results weren’t as expected, we didn’t receive further counseling. Very little and very vague follow-up on VERY unexpectedly poor outcomes....We had our ups and downs with Lucidi for the years he treated us - ultimately I would say he was “fine” ...Lucidi never gave us any indication that we would have a failed round of IVF. Then, when our round did fail, there was no discussion on how this happened, no recommendations for additional follow-up or genetic counseling.
1 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Their lab is brand new (less than one year) and other doctors have told us they suspect that our bad IVF outcome resulted from Dr. Lucidi using stimulation practices that aren’t current and the lab not being well-established.
Go to the other practice in town. We had our ups and downs with Lucidi for the years he treated us - ultimately I would say he was “fine” and the nurses were exceptional - but starting down the path with Lucidi is the fast way to lose a lot of money. The competing practice in town at least offers a 6-round IVF guarantee. With Lucidi’s practice, without insurance, you’ll pay $20k per round. With the competitors, you’ll pay more upfront, but if you don’t have success, you’ll get a refund of the bulk of the expense.
The nursing staff were always wonderful, but when our IVF results weren’t as expected, we didn’t receive further counseling. Very little and very vague follow-up on VERY unexpectedly poor outcomes.
I did gonal F, ganirilex, and ovidrel
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Christine while I was being treated for Asherman’s, then Courtney for our IVF nurse. )
Christine was absolutely amazing. She always made me feel cared for. She answered every question I had without making me feel like I was ridiculous or taking too much of her time. She held my hand for 30 minutes while I cried during our first miscarriage. And she called me numerous times to check on me after my second miscarriage.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
The weakness to us has been the lab, and when we got such bad results, all of a sudden, the communication was very vague and stopped abruptly. The strength was Christine. I would tell a new patient not to do IVF with this clinic until the lab was up and running for at least 2 years to get established. Also, they don’t have a lab director on site - their lab director runs labs across the country. So, I didn’t feel like they had the expertise at the ready for our IVF attempt to be successful.
Approx $20,000 for IVF fees, including $600 for drugs, and PGS
We never got to embryo transfer. We sent 6 embryos for PGS, and all were unexpectedly abnormal.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Lucidi is nice. He takes his time answering questions but he tends to give you different statistics at each visit which is annoying. I feel he could be more blunt instead of always saying I'm sure you'll get pregnant we just have to try all the options...Have your questions written out before hand so you can ask them all while you are there because he isn't very fast to respond if you call or message...He does not monitor labs with IUIs. He does not monitor progesterone levels.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
The office staff including Dr.Lucidi always treat me like a human. They all know my name and greet me upon entering the clinic. They tell me they are praying for me and keep me in their thoughts. Over the last year with our multiple failed cycles they have always encouraged us to keep trying and been there to listen to me cry. They never make me feel like I'm bothering them. They take their time to answer my questions.
For the IUIs we had already tried Clomid and femara with my previous obgyn and had 1 miscarriage and 1 failed iui so dr.lucidi said we needed to graduate to injectables. I have pcos and was diagnosed with anovulation. We did Gonal-F for all my IUIs and with my ivf. Avg dose for IUIs was 125/night. Avg dose for Ivf was 250/twice a day. Estrogen levels checked every other day during ivf cycle. Ultrasound first day of cycle then on day 5 and day 8 with IUIs. With ivf ultrasounds were every other day. He does not monitor labs with IUIs. He does not monitor progesterone levels. Doxycycline taken day of retrieval and for 5 days post. Progesterone gel starting day of retrieval through 10th week of pregnancy. He does beta hcg 9dp5dt
The nurses Courtney and Christine with Dr. Lucidi office are wonderful. They are compassionate and great listeners. They always get back to you quickly and never make you feel like a nusaince.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
The clinic just moved to a new building. The new building is pretty nice and very clean. The waiting room is very small but exam rooms are nice size. Front desk staff could be friendlier
I work for the same company so I was lucky to get $5000.00 of infertility treatment so all my IUIs were covered. For ivf I paid $3447.00 and for my embryo transfers I will have to pay $180.00 per ultrasound and $250.00 for the transfer. Dr lucidi clinic gets a discount at their pharmacy so medications were a steal. Paid $790 For entire ivf cycle meds
Dr. Lucidi is pretty adamant about encouraging only 1 embryo transfer at a time. However he is understanding and will allow 2 if multiple failed cycles in past.
2012 - 2016
He's [Dr. Scott Lucidi] always as gentle as possible when performing ultrasounds, IUIs, and embryo transfers. He always takes the time to answer any questions I have and explains any risks and options fully. He's very upfront and does not sugarcoat potential issues. He performed a laparoscopy procedure prior to my first pregnancy attempt and I had zero complications from it.
2012 - 2016
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi always greats me by name and I feel that he has a warm bedside manner. He's always as gentle as possible when performing ultrasounds, IUIs, and embryo transfers. He always takes the time to answer any questions I have and explains any risks and options fully. He's very upfront and does not sugarcoat potential issues. He performed a laparoscopy procedure prior to my first pregnancy attempt and I had zero complications from it.
Ask as many questions as you can and listen closely to the answers even if it is not what you're hoping to hear
I saw Dr. Lucidi (or his NP Jeannette Brown when he's out of town) at every visit. Dr. Lucidi, Jeannette and the nurses Courtney and Christine are always welcoming and warm and take the time to answer any questions I may have. The nurses always return my calls in a timely manner.
#1: HSG, laparoscopy for suspected blocked tube, unmedicated IUI timed via OPK sticks; resulted in one child #2-5: HSG before #2, unmedicated IUIs timed via OPK sticks IVF #1: Gonal-F, Ganirelix, and Ovidrel which I believe is his starting point for a normal AMH value. A week between first two ultrasounds, then every other day until retrieval (4 ultrasounds total). 29 eggs retrieved, 23 were mature and 22 fertilized with ICSI. Resulted in 10 day 5 blasts, 1 fresh transfer, 9 frozen. FET #2 & 3: Natural IVF so transfer synced to my unmedicated ovulation. Requires 3 ultrasound (day 3, day 11 or so, 3 days after ovulation) plus progesterone check 3 days after ovulation. Transfer done on day 5 after ovulation.
Courtney and Christine are the nurses I interacted with. They always great me warmly with a smile. When Dr. Lucidi does not have residents and medical students with him, they remain in the room during all procedures. They return all calls and pass on messages in a timely manner especially when I leave voice messages. They celebrate my successes and commiserate with my disappointments.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
The clinic is in a easy to get to location near Stony Point Mall. It has a lab and pharmacy on site which are very convenient. The meds for my IVF cycle were under $500 thanks to the pharmacy and VCU offsetting the cost. The VCU patient portal is great. If I have blood work done by 9a, I'm typically able to see all my lab results by noon. I have had one or two issues with billing but the business manager has taken care of them when I contact her. It is a teaching facility so you'll be asked whether the residents and medical students can be present; at times they will participate in your care (e.g., perform an ultrasound) so be sure to say no to the nurse if you'd prefer they do not. It is a women's health clinic and not a fertility clinic, so there are children in the waiting room.
Self pay IUIs were approx $250. Self pay ultrasounds were $180. IVF cycle was over $3K. Self pay FET was $325. IVF takes place at Virginia IVF which have separate costs (~$22K for single ICSI IVF cycle, ~$2600 for FET cycle).
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Lucidi was fantastic. He made us feel like we mattered...He will strongly recommend transferring 1 embryo but will listen to your concerns and adjust as needed...He was attentive to my bodies response and increased my dosages as needed. He always fit me in for appointments even last minute. He followed my pregnancy until 12 weeks and until I was fully off of meds....I could call anytime and never felt like a bother. He even came in on his day off to do our embryo transfer...
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi was fantastic. He made us feel like we mattered. You could tell he cared about the outcome of our treatment. He was attentive to my bodies response and increased my dosages as needed. He always fit me in for appointments even last minute. He followed my pregnancy until 12 weeks and until I was fully off of meds.
Make sure to tell him your goals. He will strongly recommend transferring 1 embryo but will listen to your concerns and adjust as needed.
Dr. Lucidi and his nurses were incredible. I could call anytime and never felt like a bother. He even came in on his day off to do our embryo transfer.
For our IVF I was put on gonal-f only. With my age he said that gonal-f alone should give us good results. It took some time for my E2 levels to rise and he upped my dose during stims. I stimmed for 12 days, and egg retrieval was 14 days after starting stims. I used ganireleix starting around day 10, and triggered with HCG. I have PCOS and 64 eggs were retrieved. I was monitored closely for OHSS which I developed a mild case of. My E2 was monitored closely for signs of OHSS as well.
Courtney and Christine were amazing! I literally can not say enough good things about those two. They were quick to respond to my messages, calmed my nerves, and reassured me at every step.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
VCU as a whole makes it difficult to get in touch with your Doctor. Dr. Lucidi's nurses gave me a direct line which took care of that problem, but without it communication would have been difficult. Meds for IVF are very reasonably priced, if you use their pharmacy.
My insurance covered the first 5,000 dollars in expenses. The embryo retrievals and transfers are done at Virginia IVF which is a seperate cost.
Dr. Lucidi was very opinionated on single embryo transfer at my age. We transferred 1 for our fresh transfer and after listening to my concerns agreed to transfer 2 for our FET. I am currently pregnant with a singleton.
Richmond
Dr. Lucidi is very direct and straightforward, which might appeal to some patients. However, I found his lack of bedside manner unnerving given how emotional the situation was for my husband and I. Appointments were quick and he answered our questions very scientifically before moving on to the next patient. He always seemed like he needed to be somewhere else, and the VCU students and attendants who often accompanied him were similarly brusque and unfriendly.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Although he was always professional and courteous, Dr. Lucidi often seemed rushed, and he didn't act very sympathetic to what we were going through. I know he's been dealing with couples like myself for years, but I would have appreciated more kindness. When I had specific questions, he answered them directly, but he offered very little other information. Sometimes I was confused by his explanations for why he did certain things (like had me take Clomid despite my regular ovulation), but I blame myself for not asking him to explain more clearly. When I actually underwent the IUI procedure, I was almost relieved that the nurse practitioner handled it because Lucidi made me feel rather uncomfortable. When I did become pregnant, he had me come in weekly for ultrasounds without explaining why, and I discovered later that my insurance didn't cover all of the ultrasounds.
Be prepared with questions, because he'll rarely offer information without prodding. And if good bedside manner is important to you, find someone else.
After diagnosing us with male factor infertility, Dr. Lucidi told us there was nothing we could do to improve my husband's sperm (morphology was the main issue). Although we were first told that we would need to go directly to IVF, subsequent tests of my husband's sperm showed improvement, so Lucidi agreed to let us try IUI first. He said our chances of success were less than 10 percent. I was ovulating regularly, but he had me take Clomid for a few days (not sure why) and come in the day after a positive OPK test for the procedure. He was not present for the procedure.
The nurses were very friendly, but my interactions with them were usually brief. The nurse practitioner who actually did the procedure handled it very well and helped me feel comfortable. There was some confusion when we were given my husband's test results on the phone and we were told we would have to do IVF. Lucidi later told us we could try IUI, and I'm not sure if it's because we asked for an alternative to IVF or because there was a miscommunication with the nurse.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I often had to wait awhile for my appointments. When signing in and seeing that someone else had the same appointment time slot as me, I was told that they commonly double book patients.
Most of my treatment was covered by insurance, except a few ultrasounds and the IUI procedure itself. I think the procedure cost about $400.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
For the majority of my time with Dr. Lucidi, I always felt like I understood everything that he was recommending and he would always answer my questions. There was only one time in the 1.5 years I saw him that I didn't completely understand why he didn't do something...But other than that one instance, I was able to call with questions and he would always take the time to clearly explain things to me. So much so that when I was trying to understand how many embryos to thaw, he drew out a diagram in preparation to my office visit so he could fully explain his recommendation and the changes for each of the possible routes we could go.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
For the majority of my time with Dr. Lucidi, I always felt like I understood everything that he was recommending and he would always answer my questions. There was only one time in the 1.5 years I saw him that I didn't completely understand why he didn't do something. I was pregnant from Chlomid/IUI and he didn't put me on Progesterone, which I thought was odd. But other than that one instance, I was able to call with questions and he would always take the time to clearly explain things to me. So much so that when I was trying to understand how many embryos to thaw, he drew out a diagram in preparation to my office visit so he could fully explain his recommendation and the changes for each of the possible routes we could go.
For all patients of any infertility doctor, get to know as much as you can and ask questions so that you feel comfortable with the course of treatment the doctor is recommending.
He always took the time to answer questions and explain things in a way that I would understand.
I tried to do injectable hormones with an IUI but I was hyper-stimulated pretty quickly. He recommended that I go straight to IVF because he wasn't confident that we could get the dosage right. I was comfortable with that but ended up becoming hyper-stimulated during my IVF injections phase and wasn't able to do a fresh transfer. Looking back I wish he would have put me on a lower dosage from the start and decreased it quicker so I wouldn't have to wait to do the transfer, but I think he made the best decisions he could at the time. I was thankful that he didn't risk doing a transfer when I was hyper-stimulated.
The nursing staff quickly became friends and I felt so much love and compassion from them. They were amazing.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I got into appointments on time, they were organized and I very much appreciated the flexibility that they had in getting me in for appointments.
Because my insurance didn't cover anything, I had to pay all out of pocket. IUIs were $250, plus the sperm donation was $200. IVF had a set cost with the Doctor around $3500, and then the IVF clinic he partnered with cost $8000. In addition, we had to pay $500 for the anesthesiologist for the retrieval surgery.
IVF, Surrogacy
Ask as man you questions as you can. He [Dr. Lucidi] will answer them all!...Like most patients, my situation and history is unique. Dr. Lucidi took the time to generate a thoughtful, safe plan and asked me for my input...Dr. Lucidi is also a great communicator and made me feel important and cared for...He's good at what he does, but he's very humble and relatable. I threw many curveballs at him during my treatment, and he always rose to the challenge, adjusted his treatment plans, and let me know he wouldn't give up on me.
IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi is a smart man. He's good at what he does, but he's very humble and relatable. I threw many curveballs at him during my treatment, and he always rose to the challenge, adjusted his treatment plans, and let me know he wouldn't give up on me.
Ask as man you questions as you can. He will answer them all!
Like most patients, my situation and history is unique. Dr. Lucidi took the time to generate a thoughtful, safe plan and asked me for my input. His nurses are AMAZING, and we're a tremendous help all along. Dr. Lucidi is also a great communicator and made me feel important and cared for.
Lupron, gonal-f, menopur, and ovidrel resulted in successful follicles, retrieval, embryo production, and IVF cycle.
Dr. Lucidi's nurse, Courtney, is AMAZING. She was a fabulous resource, compassionate person, and excellent nurse. She made the setbacks and human side of my journey tolerable. There aren't enough stars in the universe to adequately rate Courtney's worth.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
They front desk personnel was always very helpful. The financial coordinator is easy to work with. As a whole, the clinic gets two thumbs up.
Meds excluded, egg retrieval was around $3,000.
Because of my age (33), he recommended a SET to increase the odds of a healthy, term baby for me with minimal risk to my GC.
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He [Dr. Scott Lucidi] takes a lot of time with his patients. He is easy to get an appointment with. He is very communicative. He is kind, funny and compassionate. He is probably the best doctor I've ever had. I would highly recommend him...Dr. Lucidi has a wonderful bedside manner...He treats his patients like they are family...Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, Dr. Lucidi will take the time to answer them.
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
He takes a lot of time with his patients. He is easy to get an appointment with. He is very communicative. He is kind, funny and compassionate. He is probably the best doctor I've ever had. I would highly recommend him.
Dr. Lucidi has a wonderful bedside manner. He is kind and compassionate. He treats his patients like they are family.
Can't remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney and Christine)
The best nursing staff! Compassionate, kind, communicative and reponsive. I would recommend them to anyone.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Wonderful clinic. Clean, state of the art, new facility. Conveniently located. Great office staff. Staff is kind and commicative. Billing is easy. Billing manger is easy to get in touch with. Stress free office staff.
Meds are inexpensive through vcu pharmacy. Transfers are $2200. Retrieval is in the neighborhood of 8-10k
He followed the ASRM guidelines, which recommend only transferring one embryo due to higher risks with twins.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
Dr Lucidi is very up front and explains the next step as thorough as possible. He gives a timeline on how to proceed with your next step. I also like that he writes it down on paper for you to see. He explains everything so that you understand what will happen if treatment does not work.... First was to take infertility pills like Clomid. They did not work for me. I didn't ovulate. So the next step was hormone shots and IUI. That didn't work.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
To be patient. Infertility takes time.
Nurse Christine is the best. She makes you feel like a human and not a number even knowing how busy they are.
First was to take infertility pills like Clomid. They did not work for me. I didn't ovulate. So the next step was hormone shots and IUI. That didn't work. My next step is IVF but we don't have the funds right now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Christine )
Nurse Christine is the best!!
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Trying to get a hold of them when you need something right away is kind of hard but other than that they are an excellent clinic. They are organized, friendly and everyone seems to communicate well there.
It was a co pay unless I had an ultrasound then it was a free visit.
Didn't get to this part.
Richmond
I only met him [Dr. Lucidi] once. Most of the communication was with nurses who would speak with him and then call me back. I was very early in the process and just starting to seek treatment, so I'm not sure how it would have been had we started with him through our IUIs and IVFs....Question why he is assigning diagnoses and whether there could be other reasons for your situation....He was polite and friendly.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
I only met him once. Most of the communication was with nurses who would speak with him and then call me back. I was very early in the process and just starting to seek treatment, so I'm not sure how it would have been had we started with him through our IUIs and IVFs.
He was polite and friendly.
We started with Femara and then went to 50 MGM clomid and then 100 Clomid.
Very friendly and responsive.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I felt that my diagnosis was done in an assembly line style and that it was incorrect. I didn't feel that care was individualized. The doctor was very nice, though I only met him once and always spoke with the nurses after that. For me, that was an issue, though I was very early in treatment.
We just did meds there and they were out of Pocket but I'm not sure of the cost.
We didn't so ivf with him.
Richmond
[Dr. Lucidi] always answered all my questions, always fit me in for appointments even at the last minute, always kind and professional...My husband and I had a great experience. Even though our IUI's and first IVF yielded disappointing results, we were always happy with the course of treatment and the care we received...Dr. Lucidi doesn't look for zebras or do unnecessary tests - so don't get bogged down in the details of what everything means. Dr. Lucidi is good at looking at the big picture.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Trust the process, but ask all the questions you want. Dr. Lucidi doesn't look for zebras or do unnecessary tests - so don't get bogged down in the details of what everything means. Dr. Lucidi is good at looking at the big picture.
Always answered all my questions, always fit me in for appointments even at the last minute, always kind and professional
Courtney (who I primarily worked with) and Christine were the best. I still miss them and wish they could be a part of my prenatal care. They were always so kind, compassionate and willing to chat whenever I had a question. The best.
The cost of IUI's and IVF were pretty average, but our prescription drugs, which we ordered from VCU pharmacy were well below cost average, which was wonderful for us!
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Lucidi is great but isn't super warm... you have to be firm in your expectations, be sure to call him out if you feel he isn't being aggressive enough....As an LGBT patient to date I feel like have been treated like I have lack of access to sperm instead of there being a problem. We know I have PCOS but every IUI cycle resulted in a strong response to treatment never resulting in a pregnancy....The nursing staff at Dr. Lucidi's office is probably the best I have ever encountered.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi is great but you have to be firm in your expectations, be sure to call him out if you feel he isn't being aggressive enough.
Dr. Lucidi is great but isn't super warm, his staff on the other hand is phenomenal.
Clomid Ultrasound monitoring and injections with trigger
The nursing staff at Dr. Lucidi's office is probably the best I have ever encountered. They are warm, friendly and respond to calls quickly.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I haven't been since they have moved but before they were lumped in a waiting room with other women's health practices where sometimes it was standing room only. It was a poor set up and I'm glad to hear that they have moved!
I want to say around $285 for IUI itself and around $180 for US/office visits
2013 - 2015
Dr. Lucidi was very approachable with great bedside manners. He has great active listening skills and is skilled at making complicated situations easier to understand - he definitely put me at ease....His practice is at a woman's clinic so expect to wait long in waiting room and nurses vary in regard to how good they are
2013 - 2015
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
He is very personable and appears to be a humble, knowledgable physician
Just chlomid, chlomid and Iui, Iui with shots, IVF None successful
Some nurses were amazing others lacked organization and people skills
Expensive - don't remember exact figures