St. Louis U.

9000 Stony Point Parkway
Richmond, VA 23235
804-560-8950

Treated 2016 - 2017
when our IVF results weren’t as expected, we didn’t receive further counseling. Very little and very vague follow-up on VERY unexpectedly poor outcomes....We had our ups and downs with Lucidi for the years he treated us - ultimately I would say he was “fine” ...Lucidi never gave us any indication that we would have a failed round of IVF. Then, when our round did fail, there was no discussion on how this happened, no recommendations for additional follow-up or genetic counseling.
The weakness [at VCU ] to us has been the lab, and when we got such bad results, all of a sudden, the communication was very vague and stopped abruptly.... they don’t have a lab director on site - their lab director runs labs across the country. ...Christine was absolutely amazing. She always made me feel cared for. She answered every question I had without making me feel like I was ridiculous or taking too much of her time.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Their lab is brand new (less than one year) and other doctors have told us they suspect that our bad IVF outcome resulted from Dr. Lucidi using stimulation practices that aren’t current and the lab not being well-established.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Go to the other practice in town. We had our ups and downs with Lucidi for the years he treated us - ultimately I would say he was “fine” and the nurses were exceptional - but starting down the path with Lucidi is the fast way to lose a lot of money. The competing practice in town at least offers a 6-round IVF guarantee. With Lucidi’s practice, without insurance, you’ll pay $20k per round. With the competitors, you’ll pay more upfront, but if you don’t have success, you’ll get a refund of the bulk of the expense.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
The nursing staff were always wonderful, but when our IVF results weren’t as expected, we didn’t receive further counseling. Very little and very vague follow-up on VERY unexpectedly poor outcomes.
Describe the protocols Scott Lucidi used in your cycles at VCU Medical Center and their degree of success.
I did gonal F, ganirilex, and ovidrel
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Christine while I was being treated for Asherman’s, then Courtney for our IVF nurse. )
Christine was absolutely amazing. She always made me feel cared for. She answered every question I had without making me feel like I was ridiculous or taking too much of her time. She held my hand for 30 minutes while I cried during our first miscarriage. And she called me numerous times to check on me after my second miscarriage.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
The weakness to us has been the lab, and when we got such bad results, all of a sudden, the communication was very vague and stopped abruptly. The strength was Christine. I would tell a new patient not to do IVF with this clinic until the lab was up and running for at least 2 years to get established. Also, they don’t have a lab director on site - their lab director runs labs across the country. So, I didn’t feel like they had the expertise at the ready for our IVF attempt to be successful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center.
Approx $20,000 for IVF fees, including $600 for drugs, and PGS
Describe Scott Lucidi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at VCU Medical Center.
We never got to embryo transfer. We sent 6 embryos for PGS, and all were unexpectedly abnormal.
What specific things went wrong at VCU Medical Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at VCU Medical Center.
We had 18 follicles. 11 eggs retrieved - lower than what we were expecting. 10 fertilized - we were pleased. 6 sent off for PGS - still pretty pleased. Of the 6, all were abnormal, all for different reasons. We had no abnormalities in our carrier screenings, and we have a healthy child - so our very abnormal results were completely unexpected. Lucidi never gave us any indication that we would have a failed round of IVF. Then, when our round did fail, there was no discussion on how this happened, no recommendations for additional follow-up or genetic counseling. We asked for financial support to try another round (similar to the competitor deal in town), and were denied.

Treated 2015
Dr. Lucidi is very direct and straightforward, which might appeal to some patients. However, I found his lack of bedside manner unnerving given how emotional the situation was for my husband and I. Appointments were quick and he answered our questions very scientifically before moving on to the next patient. He always seemed like he needed to be somewhere else, and the VCU students and attendants who often accompanied him were similarly brusque and unfriendly.
The nurses [at VCU] were very friendly, but my interactions with them were usually brief. The nurse practitioner who actually did the procedure handled it very well and helped me feel comfortable. There was some confusion when we were given my husband's test results on the phone and we were told we would have to do IVF. Lucidi later told us we could try IUI, and I'm not sure if it's because we asked for an alternative to IVF or because there was a miscommunication with the nurse.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Although he was always professional and courteous, Dr. Lucidi often seemed rushed, and he didn't act very sympathetic to what we were going through. I know he's been dealing with couples like myself for years, but I would have appreciated more kindness. When I had specific questions, he answered them directly, but he offered very little other information. Sometimes I was confused by his explanations for why he did certain things (like had me take Clomid despite my regular ovulation), but I blame myself for not asking him to explain more clearly. When I actually underwent the IUI procedure, I was almost relieved that the nurse practitioner handled it because Lucidi made me feel rather uncomfortable. When I did become pregnant, he had me come in weekly for ultrasounds without explaining why, and I discovered later that my insurance didn't cover all of the ultrasounds.
Be prepared with questions, because he'll rarely offer information without prodding. And if good bedside manner is important to you, find someone else.
After diagnosing us with male factor infertility, Dr. Lucidi told us there was nothing we could do to improve my husband's sperm (morphology was the main issue). Although we were first told that we would need to go directly to IVF, subsequent tests of my husband's sperm showed improvement, so Lucidi agreed to let us try IUI first. He said our chances of success were less than 10 percent. I was ovulating regularly, but he had me take Clomid for a few days (not sure why) and come in the day after a positive OPK test for the procedure. He was not present for the procedure.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at VCU Medical Center.
The nurses were very friendly, but my interactions with them were usually brief. The nurse practitioner who actually did the procedure handled it very well and helped me feel comfortable. There was some confusion when we were given my husband's test results on the phone and we were told we would have to do IVF. Lucidi later told us we could try IUI, and I'm not sure if it's because we asked for an alternative to IVF or because there was a miscommunication with the nurse.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I often had to wait awhile for my appointments. When signing in and seeing that someone else had the same appointment time slot as me, I was told that they commonly double book patients.
Most of my treatment was covered by insurance, except a few ultrasounds and the IUI procedure itself. I think the procedure cost about $400.
What specific things went wrong at VCU Medical Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at VCU Medical Center.
We were told that my husband should take a semen sample to the lab, and that Lucidi's office would set up a drop-off time. He collected the sample and rushed to the office in order to get it to them within the allotted time. When he got there, they said they weren't expecting him and they had no record of him. As the minutes ticked by and the sperm became less viable, they tried to reach Lucidi's office while refusing to take his sample. Finally, they figured out the mess and agreed to take the sample with just a few minutes to spare. His numbers from that sample were much lower than subsequent tests, and I wonder if this episode had something to do with that.

Treated 2015 - 2016
I only met him [Dr. Lucidi] once. Most of the communication was with nurses who would speak with him and then call me back. I was very early in the process and just starting to seek treatment, so I'm not sure how it would have been had we started with him through our IUIs and IVFs....Question why he is assigning diagnoses and whether there could be other reasons for your situation....He was polite and friendly.
I felt that my diagnosis was done in an assembly line style and that it was incorrect. I didn't feel that care [at VCU - Ctr for Adv Repro Med] was individualized....The doctor [Dr. Lucidi] was very nice, though I only met him once and always spoke with the nurses after that. For me, that was an issue, though I was very early in treatment...We just did meds there and they were out of Pocket...We started with Femara and then went to 50 MGM clomid and then 100 Clomid.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
I only met him once. Most of the communication was with nurses who would speak with him and then call me back. I was very early in the process and just starting to seek treatment, so I'm not sure how it would have been had we started with him through our IUIs and IVFs.
He was polite and friendly.
We started with Femara and then went to 50 MGM clomid and then 100 Clomid.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at VCU Medical Center.
Very friendly and responsive.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I felt that my diagnosis was done in an assembly line style and that it was incorrect. I didn't feel that care was individualized. The doctor was very nice, though I only met him once and always spoke with the nurses after that. For me, that was an issue, though I was very early in treatment.
We just did meds there and they were out of Pocket but I'm not sure of the cost.
We didn't so ivf with him.