St. Louis U.

9000 Stony Point Parkway
Richmond, VA 23235
804-560-8950

Treated 2017 - 2020
Dr. Lucidi took the time to explain to me and my husband every detail of the process and made us feel very assured and confident. My husband has low sperm count, and Dr. Lucidi referred him to a urologist ... With my course of treatment Dr. Lucidi recommended our only chance with my husbands low sperm count would be IVF with ICSI. ...
VCU does have patient portal where you can reach the nurses and they check the messages everyday, so if you need them to call they will. ... The strengths of the office are how thorough they are and you really do not feel like a number. The only weakness the clinic has is being able to get ahold of someone when calling. You may play phone tag a few times but don't let that deter you.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
As a patient coming to a fertility clinic is very daunting in itself and not knowing what's going on or if you will ever be able to conceive is scary. Dr. Lucidi was very thorough and I had some test run on me to make sure everything was fine and even had an ultrasound that day to check on my ovaries. I wasn't really expecting much out of the visit but just a consultation and just going over my labs and my husbands SA. This made me more confident in choosing this clinic and I didn't feel like a number. We took a break for 2 years and kept trying naturally. Fast forward to 2020 and I set up another appointment and we get the ball rolling, right where we left off.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi will make sure he has all his ducks in a row before recommending your course of treatment, just trust the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi took the time to explain to me and my husband every detail of the process and made us feel very assured and confident. My husband has low sperm count, and Dr. Lucidi referred him to a urologist within the group and my husband had more test run to figure out what would be causing the low sperm count. The testing all came back normal and he explained to us that it was a idiopathic reasoning behind his counts.
Describe the protocols Scott Lucidi used in your cycles at VCU Medical Center and their degree of success.
With my course of treatment Dr. Lucidi recommended our only chance with my husbands low sperm count would be IVF with ICSI. I will start birth control for 2 weeks and then the injections. We haven't been able to start any treatment with the COVID-19 going on.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at VCU Medical Center.
I haven't been in much contact with the nursing staff just yet. Still in the beginning process and haven't been to the clinic since Feb 2020, due to COVID-19
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
The strengths of the office are how thorough they are and you really do not feel like a number. The only weakness the clinic has is being able to get ahold of someone when calling. You may play phone tag a few times but don't let that deter you. VCU does have patient portal where you can reach the nurses and they check the messages everyday, so if you need them to call they will.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center.
I have not been given any information on how much the cycles cost.
Describe Scott Lucidi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at VCU Medical Center.
I haven't started treatment but Dr. Lucidi recommends SET.
What specific things went wrong at VCU Medical Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at VCU Medical Center.
Only time I had something "go wrong" was with insurance and conflicting information on coverage. I was told one procedure was covered by insurance but paperwork never got sent in. Then, was told by the clinic it was not covered but paperwork was never sent in for pre-authorization in order to make that determination with the insurance.
Treated 2015 - 2019
Dr. Lucidi is serious about his work but he cares a lot about his patients. We lost a multiples pregnancy, he took time out of his day to come to the hospital and see us when we lost them. He cried when we were finally "released" from his care with our daughter at 12 weeks and overall he just genuinely cares about his patients and making sure they get their baby...There were times when I was getting dressed that I would think of a question and he would come back in an answer my questions. He never seems rushed or annoyed and really does genuinely care about his patients and their babies. We brought our daughter back to see him when she was a few weeks old and he got emotional seeing her finally.
First we did Clomid and Letrozole, neither worked so we went on to gonal-f. WAs pregnant with multiples, lost those multiples and because of that Dr. Lucidi didn't want to take the chance of us getting pregnant with multiples again so he told us the only way he would continue to work with us, was if we decided to pursue IVF. So we did. We now have a 14 month old daughter...[nurses were] Compassionate, caring, loving, nurturing, always there, they listen to your concerns, get back to your emails in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi is the best doctor I have ever encountered. I previously stated that he really cares about his patients and it is true. He takes time with each patient and really answers all your questions. There were times when I was getting dressed that I would think of a question and he would come back in an answer my questions. He never seems rushed or annoyed and really does genuinely care about his patients and their babies. We brought our daughter back to see him when she was a few weeks old and he got emotional seeing her finally.
Go see him- you won't regret it.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
All strengths- punctual, caring, organized, knowledgeable. the nurses and dr. lucidi Really care about their patients and the babies they are helping you conceive. Honestly, no weaknesses. They are prompt I responding to emails and calls and if they don't know something they will find it out as fast as possible for you.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at VCU Medical Center.
Monitoring appointments were typically in the morning. They would try and schedule them as early as they could and work with your schedule. I never had an issue getting to appointments and they were never really behind as far as being late etc.
I do not remember.
We went with one embryo because we know that my body does not handle a multiples pregnancy well. One embryo yielded the least risk for multiples.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Lucidi's reassuring presence calmed my anxieties in a stressful process. He has a great bedside manner and injects just the right amount of humor. He is very experienced and trustworthy. He set realistic expectations and process thus far has been right as he described / predicted. He takes time to explain the process and answer questions about different options...He is straight forward when it comes to the process and probabilities but will also insert some humor to lighten the mood.
Exam rooms [at VCU Medical Center] are new and bright with attached private bathroom for each...~12 Eggs, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to freeze, 3 PGS normal. For the 5-day embryo transfer, Dr. Lucidi provided information on both medicated and natural FETs. Single embryo transfer...[staff is] Very friendly and upbeat. Felt welcomed by name each time. Smallish waiting room but it was usually sparse for early appointments. I was able to schedule early appointments with them (8am or 8:30am). Blood draws took place on ground floor early (8am).
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Calmed my anxiety, very reassuring presence. Took time to explain the process and answer questions (even drawing out timelines)
Stimmed for 12 days. Menopur + Gonal-F. Ganirelix days 10-11. Ovidrel trigger day 12. ~12 Eggs, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to freeze, 3 PGS normal. For the 5-day embryo transfer, Dr. Lucidi provided information on both medicated and natural FETs. Single embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at VCU Medical Center.
The nursing staff is very kind and sensitive. Positive attitudes. When I was nervous pre-retrieval, upbeat conversations with the nurse was a nice distraction. I was very happy with my post-retrieval care - they were sweet and attentive with heating pads to keep me comfortable. They can be hard to catch on the phone - usually have to leave a voicemail, sometimes rounds of voicemail tag. But same day responsive.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Very friendly and upbeat. Felt welcomed by name each time. Smallish waiting room but it was usually sparse for early appointments. I was able to schedule early appointments with them (8am or 8:30am). Blood draws took place on ground floor early (8am). Office is in a nice new building with easy parking. Never had much of a wait in the waiting room nor in the exam rooms. Exam rooms are new and bright with attached private bathroom for each. I paid out of pocket so did not have to coordinate insurance through the office, so I cannot speak to that.
$11k for retrieval
Treated 2018 - 2019
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Lucidi takes a lot of time with each patient but I never felt like i was kept waiting. He took his time and answered all my questions thoroughly. He offered to meet with me before and after transfers to discuss concerns and I am always able to come in for a face-to-face meeting if needed....He is readily available to see patients. I never once wasn't able to be fit in when I felt I needed to see or speak to a doctor. He explained my course of treatment very well and answered all questions that I had. I feel very confident and comfortable with him.
The clinic [VCU Medical Center] is easily accessible, always has available appointments, great staff, and is clean and updated environment. The lobby staff always greet you upon arrival and remember your name. The lab allowed me to use their tank free of charge when transporting an embryo here and was very helpful in facilitating this process....Nurses are easily accessible at all times. They go out of their way to help you get the information you need. Each one I have worked with has been very careful, kind, and compassionate.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi is kind and compassionate. He is readily available to see patients. I never once wasn't able to be fit in when I felt I needed to see or speak to a doctor. He explained my course of treatment very well and answered all questions that I had. I feel very confident and comfortable with him.
Call and ask as many questions as you need to!
Frozen Embryo transfer - 3 weeks of estrogen pills. 5 days prior to transfer begin progresterone in oil injections. The transfer I did with Dr. Lucidi did not result in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
The clinic is easily accessible, always has available appointments, great staff, and is clean and updated environment. The lobby staff always greet you upon arrival and remember your name. The lab allowed me to use their tank free of charge when transporting an embryo here and was very helpful in facilitating this process.
Frozen Embryo Transfer - $3700
No. I only had one viable embryo to transfer.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Lucidi has been so good with us in balancing our reality and being sensitive to our feelings. He takes time to answer all my questions and help me understand where we are and options for the path forward....I have been very happy with our care by Dr Lucidi. He has been sensitive and truthful. He has also offered hope balanced by reality. He has made efforts to adjust my appointments and schedule to be sure he was the doctor I would see.
During all of my many appointments, there was only one that they [VCU Medical Center] were significantly delayed...The facility is new and very nice. It’s also quiet and feels private which I appreciate....Courtney and Christine are amazing! They will answer any question, big or small. They make you feel every question is a valid question and they show compassion always. They always call back the same day....I did the guarantee program with ICSI which cost $22,000.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Even though we haven’t brought a baby home (yet), I have been very happy with our care by Dr Lucidi. He has been sensitive and truthful. He has also offered hope balanced by reality. He has made efforts to adjust my appointments and schedule to be sure he was the doctor I would see. One point that could matter to others: he has not significantly altered our course of treatment and I don’t know if another regimen could possibly result in better results. VCU has specially priced medications which results in HUGE savings in comparison to other clinics. This has been big for us since we have done multiple rounds of injectiable medications.
Ask what the plan would be if you don’t respond to treatment as expected. What other courses of treatment might be options.
Dr. Lucidi has been so good with us in balancing our reality and being sensitive to our feelings. He takes time to answer all my questions and help me understand where we are and options for the path forward. The nurses are amazing! Their kindness and compassion has really helped through the discouraging days.
My dose of Gonal-F was increased when I did not respond well to IVF drugs. We cancelled prior to egg retrieval based on poor response (few follicles and low estradiol). The second round, I started on the higher dose of Gonal-F and added Menopur. The same regiment was used for our third round. The results were not all that different in terms of follicles produced for all 3 rounds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Waltman)
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
During all of my many appointments, there was only one that they were significantly delayed. They told me when I arrived that it would be 30-45 minutes if I wanted to come back later. Otherwise, they are always right on time. The facility is new and very nice. It’s also quiet and feels private which I appreciate.
I did the guarantee program with ICSI which cost $22,000. The covers up to 6 IVF cycles and money is returned if it does not result in a live birth. Medications run $500-700/ovarian stimulation, and anesthesia is $500/egg retrieval. IUIs cost about $500/cycle.
We transferred all embryos produced on Day 3 because I had so few.
Treated 2014 - 2018
He genuinely cares for you. He makes sure that you understand everything that is happening. He spends as much time as you need answering your questions. Even repeating them a million times if needed....He is easy to get in touch with. Always pleasant. He talks to you and your husband equally.... I wasn’t ovulating due to PCOS. We did two cycles of clomid. The second time I did not ovulate so we changed to femara.... After four cycles of ovulation l, I was able to conceive.
I love them [Nurses- VCU Med Center- Richmond]. All of them are in the right profession! I could never work in infertility. I am a nurse myself and it would be so difficult working with women everyday going thru such mental anguish and depression. They are so compassionate and kind when you call with the results of negative pregnancy tests or to tell them your cycle has started.... Dr durso is dr Luicidis partner. I’ve seen her several times and was not a fan.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
I have nothing bad to say about him. He’s been the best. He’s never negative. He always gives me hope even on bad days. He is easy to get in touch with. Always pleasant. He talks to you and your husband equally. He remembers exactly who you are and your story. He can always make you laugh no matter what you are going thru. And he knows when to let you cry.
Give him a try and see what he says. Don’t give up hope because of your regular ob gyn
He’s super caring and wants to make you pregnant. He genuinely cares for you. He makes sure that you understand everything that is happening. He spends as much time as you need answering your questions. Even repeating them a million times if needed.
With my first child I wasn’t ovulating due to PCOS. We did two cycles of clomid. The second time I did not ovulate so we changed to femara. After four cycles of ovulation l, I was able to conceive. Currently, I have been able to reverse my PCOS with weight loss. I have been been ovulating on my own since April 2017. We have also used femara to boost ovulation. When that didn’t work, we attempted iui in September and November. My husband and I took a break for the holidays and ended up buying a house. We can only afford iui one more time and we have been waiting to be stress free before we try again
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at VCU Medical Center.
I love them. All of them are in the right profession! I could never work in infertility. I am a nurse myself and it would be so difficult working with women everyday going thru such mental anguish and depression. They are so compassionate and kind when you call with the results of negative pregnancy tests or to tell them your cycle has started.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Dr durso is dr Luicidis partner. I’ve seen her several times and was not a fan. She does not have goood Bessie manner and does not make you feel good about the process. I always had to ask the nurse questions because she would leave the room before I could talk with her. I literally always left in tears after seeing her. She is not a good communicator
Almost everything has been covered by my insurance or a grant provided by my employer. These funds have been exhausted at this point.
We don’t have the funds to afford this.
Treated 2016 - 2018
He [Dr. Lucidi] is warm and friendly, but is realistic about expected outcomes and setting expectations for success. He keeps your health in mind as well as the health of potential babies, and is cautious in transferring the right number of embryos to limit risk of pre-term birth and other complications.... Dr. L always had a sense of humor to lighten the mood in what can be a very emotionally charged process. When I did let him know I was struggling emotionally, he was very compassionate and referred me to a trust specialist who deals with infertility, loss and birth trauma.
VCU IVF is brand-new, with clean, cheery offices, a state-of-the-art OR and embryo lab. There are also multiple options for getting blood drawn that are convenient and provide rapid results with access to results online through a portal....[Cost Of Treatment] FET $2600 ER ~$20,000 (with with 6 transfers included)... Courtney was always available and accessible and offered timely return of phone calls. I felt she was as invested in our success as much as we were, if not more sometimes.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
He is warm and friendly, but is realistic about expected outcomes and setting expectations for success. He keeps your health in mind as well as the health of potential babies, and is cautious in transferring the right number of embryos to limit risk of pre-term birth and other complications.
Talk to him and let him know if you have concerns or are struggling. He very receptive to feedback and is not bothered by communication between visits.
From what I remember, we did a medicated egg retrieval in 2016 with frequent ultrasounds to assess follicle progress. Fortunately things went as planned, and we proceeded with a retrieval without having to make any adjustments to the medications or timing. I was monitored with both blood hormone levels and ultrasounds frequently. We had a successful retrieval followed by a 5 day transfer of a fresh embryo which resulted in a singleton birth (my daughter), and sent 9 embryos to freeze. We have since done one Natural FET cycle supplemented with a HcG trigger, which did not result in pregnancy. We are currently looking forward to our second FET, again with HcG trigger.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I've worked with two separate clinics with the same doctor. Both have been positive experiences. VCU IVF is brand-new, with clean, cheery offices, a state-of-the-art OR and embryo lab. There are also multiple options for getting blood drawn that are convenient and provide rapid results with access to results online through a portal.
FET $2600 ER ~$20,000 (with with 6 transfers included)
I don't have many (if any health issues), just age working against me, so he recommended single transfer for both my fresh and my frozen transfers. I understand the risks of multiples are real, and appreciate he's taking a safe approach and keeping a long-term perspective.

Treated 2017 - 2018
The clinic moved to a new building earlier this year. It is very modern and allows for privacy. The staff is very friendly. The only thing that bothers me is that there seems to be a new receptionist every we time we go. This might just be the way VCU operates, but I would like to be able to build rapport with the full staff we interact with.... Each IUI cycle was about $300. Thankfully our medical insurance helps cover a portion of the costs. IVF is estimated to be around $8,000.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Our experience with Dr. Lucidi has been wonderful. I have tried other clinics in the past, but never really felt comfortable with them. Dr. Lucidi has thoroughly explained each treatment before we begin. This has included risks, any potential concerns, chance of success, step-by-step details on what the treatment entails. He has a very gentle and honest approach with every interaction we have. Dr. Lucidi is quick to respond to any follow-up questions or concerns we have that come up outside of his office. We also have not had any issues with not getting appointments scheduled with him. My only regret is not finding Dr. Lucidi sooner!
Do not be afraid to be honest and open in your conversations with Dr. Lucidi. There is no judgement. He is very understanding of what's going on. He uses humor from time to time, which caught us off guard at first. This isn't something we had experienced with our doctors.
Dr. Lucidi has a great sense of humor, which really has helped put us at ease throughout our fertility journey. He has been very patient with all of our questions and doesn't get frustrated if we have asked the same questions before. Dr. Lucidi is very easy to talk to. I feel like I can be honest with how I'm feeling and can express concerns without judgement. He allows me to cry when needed without embarrassment. Dr. Lucidi is very gentle with his approach. I feel he has our best interest in mind every time we see. He doesn't pressure us or force us to make decisions on the spot. With each step, we've been able to take as much time as needed before moving into the next step. He's also available when needed outside of our appointments when we've had questions.
We began our fertility journey again after a break of approx. 5 years. This was due to needing time to heal past heartbreak, several moves from my job, and a surgery that delayed our progress. After moving to Virginia, I was referred to Dr. Lucidi by some friends. Because we had already completed may cycles with clomid and at least five or six IUIs at our prior fertility clinic, Dr. Lucidi began with some examinations and tests to insure things hadn't changed. While none of the prior treatments were successful, Dr. Lucidi recommended trying the IUI process two more times just to see what happened. With each treatment, he was able to see how my ovaries and uterus responded to the fertility drugs. He could also map my cervice and uterus to determine the best route my body needed for the catheter. To ensure we had a good number of follicles, I had several ultrasounds prior to the IUI to keep checking the progress. Dr. Lucidi wanted to ensure I was ovulating but didn't want to put me at risk of conceiving multiple babies. He prefers single births or twins to allow for a healthy pregnancy and baby. Unfortunately, my IUI treatments did not result in pregnancy. We are now looking to begin IVF treatment. Dr. Lucidi has walked us through what is involved, the risks, the chances of conceiving, what to expect with the medications, etc. We will start with regulating my cycle with birth control pills. After a few weeks, we should be able to start the drugs to prepare for the egg retrieval. They will also do an analysis of my husband's sperm to ensure there's no infertility risks there before they inseminate my eggs. After the eggs are fertilized, he said it could be about two weeks before they can complete a transfer. This allow time to see if the embryos form and to have the fertility drugs help prepare my uterus. During this time, I will be going to the clinic about every other day for an ultrasound to determine when my body is ready for the transfer. Dr. Lucidi recommended doing the frozen transfer because they have had a better success rate based on past studies. We could do a fresh transfer if we desired, but have opted to follow his recommendation on the frozen transfer. At this time, we are hoping to begin our IVF journey at the end of this year or early 2019.
Courtney has been fantastic to work with. She's got a friendly personality and is genuinely concerned for her patients. For us, she has gone above and beyond. As we began to consider IVF, we ran into a problem with our insurance company. She helped with the clinic and our insurance company to get VCU certified as a center for excellence. This will allow not only us to continue our treatments with them, but allow others with the same insurance to see Dr. Lucidi's assistance. This was a time consuming process that took 3-4 months to complete. During this time, she routinely checked in on me to see how we were doing while we waited to see what happened. Courtney goes above and beyond to care for her patients.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Each IUI cycle was about $300. Thankfully our medical insurance helps cover a portion of the costs. IVF is estimated to be around $8,000. We are still trying to determine what portion our insurance will cover. I do not recall what the cost of the medication has been.
Dr. Lucidi prefers single embryo transfers to reduce the chances of multiple births. He is very concerned with the risks involved in a multi-embryo pregnancy. His goal is to keep the mother's risks as low as possible and do everything he can to allow for the birth of a healthy baby.
Treated 2016 - 2018
He [Dr. Scott Lucidi] takes a lot of time with his patients. He is easy to get an appointment with. He is very communicative. He is kind, funny and compassionate. He is probably the best doctor I've ever had. I would highly recommend him...Dr. Lucidi has a wonderful bedside manner...He treats his patients like they are family...Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, Dr. Lucidi will take the time to answer them.
[VCU Medical Center is a] Wonderful clinic. Clean, state of the art, new facility. Conveniently located. Great office staff. Staff is kind and commicative. Billing is easy. Billing manger is easy to get in touch with. Stress free office staff...The best nursing staff! Compassionate, kind, communicative and reponsive. I would recommend them to anyone...Transfers are $2200. Retrieval is in the neighborhood of 8-10k
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
He takes a lot of time with his patients. He is easy to get an appointment with. He is very communicative. He is kind, funny and compassionate. He is probably the best doctor I've ever had. I would highly recommend him.
Dr. Lucidi has a wonderful bedside manner. He is kind and compassionate. He treats his patients like they are family.
Can't remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney and Christine)
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Meds are inexpensive through vcu pharmacy. Transfers are $2200. Retrieval is in the neighborhood of 8-10k
He followed the ASRM guidelines, which recommend only transferring one embryo due to higher risks with twins.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr Lucidi is very up front and explains the next step as thorough as possible. He gives a timeline on how to proceed with your next step. I also like that he writes it down on paper for you to see. He explains everything so that you understand what will happen if treatment does not work.... First was to take infertility pills like Clomid. They did not work for me. I didn't ovulate. So the next step was hormone shots and IUI. That didn't work.
Trying to get a hold of them [VCU Medical Center] when you need something right away is kind of hard but other than that they are an excellent clinic. They are organized, friendly and everyone seems to communicate well there.... Nurse Christine is the best. She makes you feel like a human and not a number even knowing how busy they are.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
To be patient. Infertility takes time.
First was to take infertility pills like Clomid. They did not work for me. I didn't ovulate. So the next step was hormone shots and IUI. That didn't work. My next step is IVF but we don't have the funds right now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at VCU Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Christine )
Nurse Christine is the best!!
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Trying to get a hold of them when you need something right away is kind of hard but other than that they are an excellent clinic. They are organized, friendly and everyone seems to communicate well there.
It was a co pay unless I had an ultrasound then it was a free visit.
Didn't get to this part.
Treated 2015 - 2017
Ask as man you questions as you can. He [Dr. Lucidi] will answer them all!...Like most patients, my situation and history is unique. Dr. Lucidi took the time to generate a thoughtful, safe plan and asked me for my input...Dr. Lucidi is also a great communicator and made me feel important and cared for...He's good at what he does, but he's very humble and relatable. I threw many curveballs at him during my treatment, and he always rose to the challenge, adjusted his treatment plans, and let me know he wouldn't give up on me.
Dr. Lucidi's nurse, Courtney [at VCU], is AMAZING. She was a fabulous resource, compassionate person, and excellent nurse. She made the setbacks and human side of my journey tolerable...Meds excluded, egg retrieval was around $3,000... front desk personnel was always very helpful. The financial coordinator is easy to work with. As a whole, the clinic gets two thumbs up...
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi is a smart man. He's good at what he does, but he's very humble and relatable. I threw many curveballs at him during my treatment, and he always rose to the challenge, adjusted his treatment plans, and let me know he wouldn't give up on me.
Ask as man you questions as you can. He will answer them all!
Like most patients, my situation and history is unique. Dr. Lucidi took the time to generate a thoughtful, safe plan and asked me for my input. His nurses are AMAZING, and we're a tremendous help all along. Dr. Lucidi is also a great communicator and made me feel important and cared for.
Lupron, gonal-f, menopur, and ovidrel resulted in successful follicles, retrieval, embryo production, and IVF cycle.
Dr. Lucidi's nurse, Courtney, is AMAZING. She was a fabulous resource, compassionate person, and excellent nurse. She made the setbacks and human side of my journey tolerable. There aren't enough stars in the universe to adequately rate Courtney's worth.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
They front desk personnel was always very helpful. The financial coordinator is easy to work with. As a whole, the clinic gets two thumbs up.
Meds excluded, egg retrieval was around $3,000.
Because of my age (33), he recommended a SET to increase the odds of a healthy, term baby for me with minimal risk to my GC.

Treated 2012 - 2016
He's [Dr. Scott Lucidi] always as gentle as possible when performing ultrasounds, IUIs, and embryo transfers. He always takes the time to answer any questions I have and explains any risks and options fully. He's very upfront and does not sugarcoat potential issues. He performed a laparoscopy procedure prior to my first pregnancy attempt and I had zero complications from it.
It [VCU Medical Center Fertility] is a teaching facility so you'll be asked whether the residents and medical students can be present; at times they will participate in your care (e.g., perform an ultrasound) so be sure to say no to the nurse if you'd prefer they do not. It is a women's health clinic and not a fertility clinic, so there are children in the waiting room...The VCU patient portal is great. If I have blood work done by 9a, I'm typically able to see all my lab results by noon. I have had one or two issues with billing but the business manager has taken care of them when I contact her.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi always greats me by name and I feel that he has a warm bedside manner. He's always as gentle as possible when performing ultrasounds, IUIs, and embryo transfers. He always takes the time to answer any questions I have and explains any risks and options fully. He's very upfront and does not sugarcoat potential issues. He performed a laparoscopy procedure prior to my first pregnancy attempt and I had zero complications from it.
Ask as many questions as you can and listen closely to the answers even if it is not what you're hoping to hear
I saw Dr. Lucidi (or his NP Jeannette Brown when he's out of town) at every visit. Dr. Lucidi, Jeannette and the nurses Courtney and Christine are always welcoming and warm and take the time to answer any questions I may have. The nurses always return my calls in a timely manner.
#1: HSG, laparoscopy for suspected blocked tube, unmedicated IUI timed via OPK sticks; resulted in one child #2-5: HSG before #2, unmedicated IUIs timed via OPK sticks IVF #1: Gonal-F, Ganirelix, and Ovidrel which I believe is his starting point for a normal AMH value. A week between first two ultrasounds, then every other day until retrieval (4 ultrasounds total). 29 eggs retrieved, 23 were mature and 22 fertilized with ICSI. Resulted in 10 day 5 blasts, 1 fresh transfer, 9 frozen. FET #2 & 3: Natural IVF so transfer synced to my unmedicated ovulation. Requires 3 ultrasound (day 3, day 11 or so, 3 days after ovulation) plus progesterone check 3 days after ovulation. Transfer done on day 5 after ovulation.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at VCU Medical Center.
Courtney and Christine are the nurses I interacted with. They always great me warmly with a smile. When Dr. Lucidi does not have residents and medical students with him, they remain in the room during all procedures. They return all calls and pass on messages in a timely manner especially when I leave voice messages. They celebrate my successes and commiserate with my disappointments.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
The clinic is in a easy to get to location near Stony Point Mall. It has a lab and pharmacy on site which are very convenient. The meds for my IVF cycle were under $500 thanks to the pharmacy and VCU offsetting the cost. The VCU patient portal is great. If I have blood work done by 9a, I'm typically able to see all my lab results by noon. I have had one or two issues with billing but the business manager has taken care of them when I contact her. It is a teaching facility so you'll be asked whether the residents and medical students can be present; at times they will participate in your care (e.g., perform an ultrasound) so be sure to say no to the nurse if you'd prefer they do not. It is a women's health clinic and not a fertility clinic, so there are children in the waiting room.
Self pay IUIs were approx $250. Self pay ultrasounds were $180. IVF cycle was over $3K. Self pay FET was $325. IVF takes place at Virginia IVF which have separate costs (~$22K for single ICSI IVF cycle, ~$2600 for FET cycle).
Treated 2016
Dr. Lucidi was fantastic. He made us feel like we mattered...He will strongly recommend transferring 1 embryo but will listen to your concerns and adjust as needed...He was attentive to my bodies response and increased my dosages as needed. He always fit me in for appointments even last minute. He followed my pregnancy until 12 weeks and until I was fully off of meds....I could call anytime and never felt like a bother. He even came in on his day off to do our embryo transfer...
VCU as a whole makes it difficult to get in touch with your Doctor. Dr. Lucidi's nurses gave me a direct line which took care of that problem, but without it communication would have been difficult.... They were quick to respond to my messages, calmed my nerves, and reassured me at every step....Meds for IVF are very reasonably priced, if you use their pharmacy....The embryo retrievals and transfers are done at Virginia IVF which is a seperate cost.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Dr. Lucidi was fantastic. He made us feel like we mattered. You could tell he cared about the outcome of our treatment. He was attentive to my bodies response and increased my dosages as needed. He always fit me in for appointments even last minute. He followed my pregnancy until 12 weeks and until I was fully off of meds.
Make sure to tell him your goals. He will strongly recommend transferring 1 embryo but will listen to your concerns and adjust as needed.
Dr. Lucidi and his nurses were incredible. I could call anytime and never felt like a bother. He even came in on his day off to do our embryo transfer.
For our IVF I was put on gonal-f only. With my age he said that gonal-f alone should give us good results. It took some time for my E2 levels to rise and he upped my dose during stims. I stimmed for 12 days, and egg retrieval was 14 days after starting stims. I used ganireleix starting around day 10, and triggered with HCG. I have PCOS and 64 eggs were retrieved. I was monitored closely for OHSS which I developed a mild case of. My E2 was monitored closely for signs of OHSS as well.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at VCU Medical Center.
Courtney and Christine were amazing! I literally can not say enough good things about those two. They were quick to respond to my messages, calmed my nerves, and reassured me at every step.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
VCU as a whole makes it difficult to get in touch with your Doctor. Dr. Lucidi's nurses gave me a direct line which took care of that problem, but without it communication would have been difficult. Meds for IVF are very reasonably priced, if you use their pharmacy.
My insurance covered the first 5,000 dollars in expenses. The embryo retrievals and transfers are done at Virginia IVF which is a seperate cost.
Dr. Lucidi was very opinionated on single embryo transfer at my age. We transferred 1 for our fresh transfer and after listening to my concerns agreed to transfer 2 for our FET. I am currently pregnant with a singleton.
Treated 2014 - 2016
Courtney (who I primarily worked with) and Christine were the best. I still miss them and wish they could be a part of my prenatal care. They were always so kind, compassionate and willing to chat whenever I had a question. The best...[Dr. Lucidi] always answered all my questions, always fit me in for appointments even at the last minute, always kind and professional...My husband and I had a great experience. Even though our IUI's and first IVF yielded disappointing results, we were always happy with the course of treatment and the care we received...Dr. Lucidi doesn't look for zebras or do unnecessary tests - so don't get bogged down in the details of what everything means. Dr. Lucidi is good at looking at the big picture.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
Trust the process, but ask all the questions you want. Dr. Lucidi doesn't look for zebras or do unnecessary tests - so don't get bogged down in the details of what everything means. Dr. Lucidi is good at looking at the big picture.
Always answered all my questions, always fit me in for appointments even at the last minute, always kind and professional
The cost of IUI's and IVF were pretty average, but our prescription drugs, which we ordered from VCU pharmacy were well below cost average, which was wonderful for us!
Treated 2014 - 2016
[nurses at VCU Medical Center] Always returned calls promptly. Compassionate and kind...[Dr. Scott Lucidi] Started with a sperm analysis, checked ovaries and tubes, checked for ovulation. Tried letrozole and verified ovulation each team. Blood pregnancy test 2 weeks post ovulation and repeat tests every 2 days to see levels double...With 4 miscarriages- it was very emotionally difficult. I felt like Lucidi was on our team and crated about our losses. He even performed weekly ultrasounds for our daughter through 12 weeks to help put me at ease.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
I have recommended Lucidi several times. He was fantastic!! He was patient as I started and stopped treatment and always answered all my guilt driven questions. He was patient and really cared about my husband and I and my 5 pregnancies. Tears do seem to make him mildly uncomfortable.
Don’t take his tears discomfort as lack of caring. I think he just knows there are no words in some situations.
Always returned calls promptly. Compassionate and kind
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
I haven’t been to the new clinic. The old clinic always had very pregnant women in the waiting room waiting for OB. That could be a little triggering. Waits were sometimes long. Blood work was always fast and excellent- 1 stick!
Treated 2014 - 2015
For the majority of my time with Dr. Lucidi, I always felt like I understood everything that he was recommending and he would always answer my questions. There was only one time in the 1.5 years I saw him that I didn't completely understand why he didn't do something...But other than that one instance, I was able to call with questions and he would always take the time to clearly explain things to me. So much so that when I was trying to understand how many embryos to thaw, he drew out a diagram in preparation to my office visit so he could fully explain his recommendation and the changes for each of the possible routes we could go.
The nursing staff [at VCU Medical Fertility] quickly became friends and I felt so much love and compassion from them. They were amazing....I got into appointments on time, they were organized and I very much appreciated the flexibility that they had in getting me in for appointments...He [Dr Scott Lucidi] always took the time to answer questions and explain things in a way that I would understand.
How was your experience with Scott Lucidi at VCU Medical Center?
For the majority of my time with Dr. Lucidi, I always felt like I understood everything that he was recommending and he would always answer my questions. There was only one time in the 1.5 years I saw him that I didn't completely understand why he didn't do something. I was pregnant from Chlomid/IUI and he didn't put me on Progesterone, which I thought was odd. But other than that one instance, I was able to call with questions and he would always take the time to clearly explain things to me. So much so that when I was trying to understand how many embryos to thaw, he drew out a diagram in preparation to my office visit so he could fully explain his recommendation and the changes for each of the possible routes we could go.
For all patients of any infertility doctor, get to know as much as you can and ask questions so that you feel comfortable with the course of treatment the doctor is recommending.
He always took the time to answer questions and explain things in a way that I would understand.
I tried to do injectable hormones with an IUI but I was hyper-stimulated pretty quickly. He recommended that I go straight to IVF because he wasn't confident that we could get the dosage right. I was comfortable with that but ended up becoming hyper-stimulated during my IVF injections phase and wasn't able to do a fresh transfer. Looking back I wish he would have put me on a lower dosage from the start and decreased it quicker so I wouldn't have to wait to do the transfer, but I think he made the best decisions he could at the time. I was thankful that he didn't risk doing a transfer when I was hyper-stimulated.
The nursing staff quickly became friends and I felt so much love and compassion from them. They were amazing.
Describe your experience with VCU Medical Center.
Because my insurance didn't cover anything, I had to pay all out of pocket. IUIs were $250, plus the sperm donation was $200. IVF had a set cost with the Doctor around $3500, and then the IVF clinic he partnered with cost $8000. In addition, we had to pay $500 for the anesthesiologist for the retrieval surgery.
What specific things went wrong at VCU Medical Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at VCU Medical Center.
There was one time that my lab slip didn't make it up to the lab and I had to circle back with the nurse to get that paperwork through.