Medical SchoolU. of Nevada
FellowshipU. of Alabama
645 Sierra Rose Drive
Reno, NV 89511
775-828-1200
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Scott Whitten to a friend?

5.2

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Whitten is polite and knowledgeable. However, when seeking medical help to achieve a pregnancy, you need answers. Several questions were never fully answered for me. Concerns were made out as “silly”. Additionally, I felt if there is an option before using injectable meds, it needs to be utilized first. Not just jumping straight to where the money is at! I would also have liked to meet with the doctor more....I did one round of clomid with Dr. Whitten. I was resistant and did not ovulate. When I went in for my follicle scan, we simply canceled the cycle because there were no follicles. I did a round of Femara and I ovulated. I did not conceive.
European, Other
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Whitten is polite and knowledgeable. However, when seeking medical help to achieve a pregnancy, you need answers. Several questions were never fully answered for me. Concerns were made out as “silly”. Additionally, I felt if there is an option before using injectable meds, it needs to be utilized first. Not just jumping straight to where the money is at! I would also have liked to meet with the doctor more. Not only for my first consultation and when I expressed I was out of money to continue trying.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Do your research on anything you have questions about first.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
I am extremely young. I started trying to get pregnant at 18 with medical help. I was never given the consideration, compassion, and understanding needed. Several older friends of mine were treated much better because they had more funds available.
Describe the protocols Scott Whitten used in your cycles at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I did one round of clomid with Dr. Whitten. I was resistant and did not ovulate. When I went in for my follicle scan, we simply canceled the cycle because there were no follicles. I did a round of Femara and I ovulated. I did not conceive. Following that, we did Femara a second time and I did not ovulate. I was not checking to see if there were any follicles. I had to wait 6 weeks for my period to be missed/come before any treatments would happen. I never started my cycle myself. Since then to current we have used injections. The first cycle was 75IU follistim. I was triggered and ovulated. Second was 300 IU gonal f. I ovulated. We did it again, and I did not ovulate or produce follicles. Third, we did 600 IU and I overstimulated. We are currently starting prednisone. Also, we have had several tries between the cycles stated where we used the same protocols with the same results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jonna)
My nurse is sweet. At times she seems uninterested or rushed. It is understandable sometimes. Mostly, she is able to answer any and all questions and help to ease worries. Additionally, she lets me add my input on my care.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Communication from doctor to patient needs to be improved. The clinical staff could learn how to smile once in a while. Otherwise, everyone is knowledgeable. The clinic is very clean! I do appreciate that. One thing is, the office staff does not manage insurance well. If your insurance has a claim issue, you will be responsible for the cash pay price of the visit and no additional visits can be made until any existing balances are paid in full.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Because of my insurance, I have $45.00 copays. My husband had a $250.00 payment for all sperm samples. IUI is typically $550.00, but my insurance allows 6 in a fiscal year. If your insurance sends back a claim error, you will be forced to pay the full cash price to be seen again.
Reno

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.

When I first went to see Dr Whitten he set a plan in motion right away and we were able to do an IUI the first month we saw him. He had good bedside manner and was caring but also didn't sugar coat anything...Th communication between the Dr and the PA was a bit broken. The PA always assumed that I knew what was happening and rushed me through the appointment. ..Dr Whitten will spend a good amount of time on your first visit.
Dr Whitten will spend a good amount of time on your first visit. This would be a great time to ask all your questions because other appointments feel a little rushed.
Th communication between the Dr and the PA was a bit broken. The PA always assumed that I knew what was happening and rushed me through the appointment. The process and explanation why certain this HD to happen wasn't clear and when I did ask a question it felt like I was a burden.
I have unexplined fertility so all test results came back normal. He suggested IUI because if I had hostile cervical mucus and IUI would bypass the cervix. I was ovulating on my own but he had me taking clomid and then femara to help produce a big enough folicle. Once I had a big enough folicle I was given and HCG shot to force ovulation and then did the IUI the next day. After the IUI I took progesterone suppository until I got a negative pregnancy test the day my period should start in case I didn't produce enough progesterone on my own. All though out my cycle the would do an ultrasound of my ovaries to see the progress of the foliclesame and to make sure I didn't have any cysts from the medication. Theven Dr won't give you a prescription unlessential you are being monitored with the frequent ultrasounds.
Friendly, knowledgeable but can rush though explanations so for me it was hard to understand certain things the first time.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Well organized, clean and welcoming. It's can feel like you are being rushed through sometimes especially for ultrasounds. The appointment takes minutes but costs $250 min. For me it is a bit excessive and too expensive. Ithe can feel very much like a business and have a sreamlined protocol where they care more about the money rather than coming up with an individual plan catered to my needs.
First visit with ultrasound:$265 Ultrasounds (up to 4 a cycle) $250 IUI :$250 Sperms washing: $250 My typical per cyle cost was around $1200
Reno

I felt like the positive attributes of Dr Whitten include one on one communication. One of the negative aspects of seeing this doctor, is that he was very busy. It took a long time to get appointments & I always felt like he was hurrying at the appointments. Sometimes I had to wait for quite a while after being in the exam room.... Dr. Whitten was very open to my multitude of questions. He answered each one carefully and never made me feel unsure about asking.
Be prepared to spend some time waiting at the appointments.
Dr. Whitten was very open to my multitude of questions. He answered each one carefully, and never made me feel unsure about asking. He explained everything completely before and during procedures.
The doctor had me take Clomid for my cycles. We tried 2 iui cycles with donor sperm due to my husband low count. Negative results.
One of the nurses that described the procedure and exactly what was going to happen was not sensitive or compassionate. She acted like she hated her job showing no enthusiasm or hope. My husband wanted to back out of the whole process right then. My favorite person there was the ultrasound technician. I forgot her name but she’s unbelievable!
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I really enjoyed visiting this clinic. The office staff and medical personnel were compassionate and caring, and always did a great job of helping me to feel at ease. They offer support groups and meetings that include those that are trying to conceive (TTC) and also groups for those that have lost babies through miscarriages and new births. This clinic is able to offer many different procedures.
I remember that there was a substantial financial cost involved with this clinic. We were able to do most of the testing on our military base's health clinic, which saved us some money. The reason we did not go forward with IVF here was due to the cost. We were able to do two IUI cycles at this clinic.
Describe Scott Whitten's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
We didn’t do this
Reno

I completed 3 IUIs with Dr. Whitten's office [NEvada Center for Repro Med]. Each was a clomid cycle. ... Each cycle was the same, no changes made. ... When I scheduled a plan of care with him, he knew very little about my case and when I voiced my concerns about how my case was mismanaged by the clinic, he defended practices ... He also wrote off the bad experience in that it "seemed like it was bringing up bad memories" for me of other experiences
Dr. Whitten seemed knowledgeable, but did not ever give any indication that he was up to date on the latest research, other than drug trials they were completing in their clinic. As a patient, I was concerned looking at his experience as it seemed he had done the bare minimum education and experience necessary to become an RE, no research or publications to his name. He did not indicate that his handling of my case would be very "hands off." When I scheduled a plan of care with him, he knew very little about my case and when I voiced my concerns about how my case was mismanaged by the clinic, he defended practices I know to not be the norm for medical practices as I have been in the medical community and the majority of my family members are physicians with their own practices. He also wrote off the bad experience in that it "seemed like it was bringing up bad memories" for me of other experiences (when I had compared his clinic's mishandling of my case to when I had surgery at another major hospital the day they switched from paper charts to computer charts).
I would encourage Reno residents to check out other options in the Sacramento area. It seems like a waste of time, but it is much more worth it in my opinion. However, if that is not an option for whatever reason, I would suggest making a couple of demands/requests. These were the demands I would have made had I stayed with that practice: 1. to always be on the doctor's schedule (not to be sent to the nurse practitioner for care or treatments. However, I had a friend do this due to a bad experience with the nurse practitioner at this clinic and when they checked in for their IUI, they were informed that no doctors were in the office that day, so they had to either "suck it up" and deal with her again or cancel the cycle all together. 2. ONE nurse as my primary nurse. It was ridiculous calling the nurses line and getting different nurses every time. Some had issues reading my chart correctly and NONE of them made notes of our conversations, which was an issue when I had complications each month and the doctor had no idea when reviewing my chart to make recommendations.
Everything felt rehearsed. Nothing felt like it was individualized to me as a patient.
I completed 3 IUIs with Dr. Whitten's office (one with him, the rest with the nurse practitioner). Each was a clomid cycle. I cannot recall the dosage. We had been trying on our own for over a year, and my testing all came back normal, so there was no indication that we needed to do anything other than IUI. Each cycle was the same, no changes made.
My experience with this clinic was exponentially worse due to the nursing staff. I had an issue with luteal phase fevers. To be fair, no other doctor or clinic has been able to identify the cause or etiology of these. However, this clinic was the worst of all the clinics I saw in terms of their responsiveness. I called during my first cycle to report that I had a fever one week after the IUI. They replied that it wasn't a known issue and to take tylenol. Afterward, I realized that it was not an isolated incident and that it had been occuring every few months since we had started trying. When I reported this to the nurse practitioner at my next visit, she spent several minutes arguing with me that I didn't need to push for IVF, which I had actually not been doing and never mentioned IVF. I had only been pointing out that I felt like this was not a one-off like I thought and that I was concerned with going forward if I had a pattern of getting a fever at the exact time in which implantation should be happening. I had simply said I'd prefer to spend more money on testing on the front end rather than push through with treatments that will fail and had inquired if we had done all the testing that should be done. After several tries to get her to understand this, she had said that no, we had done all the testing (I found out later that we had not), and "if you're asking if there's a simple blood test, the answer is no." Two months and $2k later, when I presented my concerns to Dr. Whitten, he stated that it could be an issue with an antibody and "that's a simple blood test. We can pull that right here in the office." This fever issue became a sticking point and I called each month to tell them, as well as mentioning it at each office visit. It was never once noted in my chart, despite the fact that the last time I called about it, I demanded that it be noted in my chart in my message. The reply I got from that message was that we would be continuing with another cycle and that at some point, the doctor would want me to come in for an HSG. I had had one, at this clinic, and relayed this to the nurse, who replied "that's weird. Looking at your chart, it looks like you're a new patient." I canceled the cycle, which they expressed annoyance about and demanded an appointment with the doctor, who had no knowledge of the issue due to the fact they never took notes. They also drew my blood wrong at one point, billed for it on the wrong day, and tried to make me pay twice. During my second IUI, the nurse practitioner completed my calendar wrong and had me start clomid two days late.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
They may have made changes in the last few years, but I felt like it was disorganized. I had test results get lost, the woman in charge of billing was not friendly or helpful. There seemed to be a lot of turnover with the nursing staff.
We spent at least $1000 on testing, and at least $1000 on each IUI. None of it was covered under my insurance. I found out a year later when we went to another clinic that my insurance covered testing, just not with them. Dr. Whitten was listed on my insurance company website as being covered, but his front office denied this.
N/A. We only did IUI with this clinic.
Reno

I’ve only met him once, and he was very kind. I was told by my OB to go on Lupron, but Dr. Whitten understood my hesitations and recommended another course of action that felt more appropritate for me. His explanations all seem logical and not rushed at all. The only negative thing I would say is that it would be nice if he popped in for procedures as those have only been done by the PA....Long appointment time and kind demeanor. Willing to take time and answer questions
Write your questions down and take advantage of the time there. Ask how involved he is in the process and be aware of all the options available.
Ultrasound by day 5 of cycle to check lining. Days 3-9 is Femara. Day 10-12ish I take ovulation test at home and then around day 12 or 13 is another ultrasound to check follicles. If follicles are proper size I receive HCG trigger and come back following day for IUI procedure. After that it’s progesterone suppositories until HCG blood test. Rinse and repeat for up to 4 cycles and then we would potentially discuss other options.
They’re all very kind and happy to help. I mostly meet with the PA.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Their kind demeanor is a strength and I appreciated how much time DR. Whitten spent with me at my first appointment. Every other appointment since then has been pretty quick and I do feel slightly rushed.
$250/ultrasound. $250 for IUI. $250 for sperm washing. About $1k per cycle for IUI, excl meds.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Whitten and his staff were incredible throughout the entire process. He explained step by step what was happening, allowed us to consider all of our options, was aggressive enough to move forward with our treatment and listened to us when we were ready to move forward. Never once were we a person on a paper. He truly cared for our outcome as much as we did.... This is either the best or worst day for his patients and I felt every time that I was in his office tha everything possible was being done for my family.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Whitten has a manner that makes him completely trusted, he is knowledgable, kind and listens. I know several people that have gone to see him and every one of them speak nothing but praises of his. Many of these people ended up lregnant after he treated them. This is either the best or worst day for his patients and I felt every time that I was in his office tha everything possible was being done for my family.
Trust him and talk with him. He is on your side and wants you to be successful.
The nursing staff is in incredibly compassionate and tactful with your treatment. They explain everything thoroughly, answer questions and return any correspondence professionally and promptly.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
People from all over the world come to this clinic and for good reason. I would be one of those people and am grateful they are so close. I have no hesitation about going back if needed or recommending them whole heartedly.
The medications and timed intercourse was around $500 a month and an IUI cycle was around $1100 a month at the time of my treatments.
Reno

Scott Whitten is a very knowledgeable man. He explained everything in detail and made us feel at ease even during the most difficult time. When we met with him to discuss the next step, he took us through every cycle and showed us all of the improvement we had made...carefully went over everything that was going to happen to ME. He always reminded us that WE were the most important part in the equation.
Ask a lot of questions because he has a lot of answeres.
Dr. Whitten carefully went over everything that was going to happen to ME. He always reminded us that WE were the most important part in the equation.
First cycle- Femara 50mg, trigger shot, timed intercourse. Second cycle-Femara 100mg, timed intercourse. Third cycle-Femara 100mg, timed intercourse Fourth cycle- Femara 100mg, iui Fifth cycle- Femara 100mg, 2 gonal f injections, iui Sixth cycle- Femara 100 mg, 3 gonal f injections, iui Seventh cycle, Femara 100mg, 5 gonal f injections, iui
Tonya was the most compassionate person I have ever met. She made us feel like we were important every time.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone is very supportive. Appointments are always on time. Questions are constantly answered at any time. Each member truly cares about your journey and shows compassion towards it. You can request a meeting with Dr. Whitten at any time and have full control of what happens to your body.
10k

Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Whitten really listens when I speak. He took the time to get to know my husband and I and I always felt like he cared about our feelings and making sure we achieved the best outcome....My nursing coordinator was thorough, easy to get ahold of and very responsive. She was efficient but caring and compassionate.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Whitten was kind, compassionate and inderstanding. I always felt understood and felt like he was doing everything in his power to help us achieve pregnancy.
I used a lupron suppression protocol with Gonal F and Menopur and an HCG trigger and ICSI due to my endometriosis. I ended up developing OHSS so we had to do a freeze all with a transfer during my next cycle.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is nice, clean and feels new. The Waiting room is very comfortable and the exam rooms, while small are stocked with nice, new, equipment.
The cost of treatment was reasonable, less than my first clinic. As part of the IVF package, all visits but OB ultrasounds were included in the cost of treatment.

2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Dr. Whitten was communicative and patient, humorous and gentle and honest. I never felt like a number to him....He even hosted and showed up for a monthly infertility support group locally— it was amazingly to see him coming to his patients on his own time, making sure they had a resource for processing the struggle of infertility treatment emotionally! Just above and beyond human compassion.
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
I always felt welcome and valid. I never felt he was impatient with our questions; he always took the time to think and answer clearly. I felt he was always making the best decision based on the situation.
Give him a chance! He doesn’t flash as many awards as Dr. Foulk but I personally found his bedside manner invaluable during treatment. He even hosted and showed up for a monthly infertility support group locally— it was amazingly to see him coming to his patients on his own time, making sure they had a resource for processing the struggle of infertility treatment emotionally! Just above and beyond human compassion.
We did a standard ICSI FET supported by PIO and progesterone pessaries, that resulted in a pregnancy that unfortunately didn’t last. He recommended an anti-inflammatory protocol for me for the next transfer based on the fact that we implanted but the embryo didn’t make it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jo)
Everyone was always warm, welcoming, and encouraging. I never felt rushed or disregarded.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
One of the best! Just avoid Dr. Foulk if bedside manner is important to you— you will not get it from him. I do have to say that the nurse liaison for egg retrieval was MUCH more involved than the nurse liaison post-transfer; she was slow to respond and offered very little information without being bugged.
We spent about $17k on our IVF egg retrieval, ICSI, and first FET. We spelt $2k per IUI before that (x2).
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
I love him [Dr. Scott Whitten]. Seems he genuinely cares. Had some y questions and sat and explained everything so we could understand the whole processes. We think the universe lines up for us to connect with him. Super happy we chose him as our doctor...He’s awesome explained everything to my husband and I. Answered all questions
South Asian, Black or African-American
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
I love him. Seems he genuinely cares. Had some y questions and sat and explained everything so we could understand the whole processes. We think the universe lines up for us to connect with him. Super happy we chose him as our doctor.
Ask as many questions as you want. Email often if need be.
He’s awesome explained everything to my husband and I. Answered all questions
The nurses are great. Get back to me so quickly. Answered all my questions even if I emailed a million tones a day. Always happy when we go to the office. Made us feel comfortable
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
If you want caring nurses and doctor go see them. They listen to all your concerns and fears. May not be the news you want but they are very compassionate. We looked at tons of donors and were just so patient. Highly recommend.