5.2

Scott Whitten works at

645 Sierra Rose Drive
Reno, NV 89511
775-828-1200

He [Dr. Whitten] suggested times intercourse with a low dose of Femara. No pregnancy resulted. He said that we should do 4 cycles of IUI before trying IVF but neglected to say the success rates of IUI. We instead asked about IVF and decided to skip any IUI cycles...he does not like to do more than one embryo at a time...I broke down in his office after our 3rd failed attempt and he suggested I see a therapist because she’s better at dealing with how I’m feeling.
About $3,000.00 for three cycles of timed inter course with ultrasounds, medication and copays. IVF will be approximately $20,000-$25,000...This clinic is the only one in town so there are no other close local options. It is clean and everything is done in house which is convenient. The staff is overall great and make an effort to get you in for your appointments...They [nurses] are kind, but seem like they are sick of dealing with emotional couples.
How was your experience with Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
He is very kind and seems like he genuinely wants to help, however we’re still not pregnant so I feel like our options are getting smaller and smaller. When I asked about moving to IVF it seemed like it didn’t matter to him either way whether we perused any further treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Don’t have such high expectations. Start saving yesterday for IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Scott Whitten used in your cycles at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
He suggested times intercourse with a low dose of Femara. No pregnancy resulted. He said that we should do 4 cycles of IUI before trying IVF but neglected to say the success rates of IUI. We instead asked about IVF and decided to skip any IUI cycles. We can not afford IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
They are kind, but seem like they are sick of dealing with emotional couples.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Whitten at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
About $3,000.00 for three cycles of timed inter course with ultrasounds, medication and copays. IVF will be approximately $20,000-$25,000. No insurance coverage.
Describe Scott Whitten's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I prefer multiple transfer because I don’t want to have to go through any more fertility issues. So the possibility of multiples is welcomed greatly, but he does not like to do more than one embryo at a time.
What specific things went wrong at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
My first cycle of timed inter course was over the Christmas holiday and I had to call the on call nurse when the office was closed. They told me very conflicting information about testing, intercourse and an ultrasound and told me to cancel a visit on the Monday after the holiday. I feel like something was confused and I was mislead since the nurses were saying different things than when I was in the office.
Reno

He seems to be empathetic and has always been nice. He is thorough and understanding. During our last appointment, he gave us his email address which I wish we would have had in the beginning. It is nice to be able to directly communication with him. ... Medicine assisted IUI. I took femara for 5 days, had an ultrasound, trigger shot (pregnyl) and IUI. We used fresh and frozen sperm as the count was always really low.
Strengths [of NV Ctr Repro Med]- good statistics Weaknesses- poor communication IVF starts approximately every other month so it is important to plan accordingly. ... Our count was low for the first IUI but the PA still recommended that we proceed. ... The financial counselor does not have as much information as you would hope to get. ... My husband and I felt like there was poor internal communication and the doctor should have been notified about our low numbers after the first IUI.The nursing staff are really kind and compassionate. They are always really supportive and empathetic. The PA does not seem to be very empathetic. She did not help make my IUI experiences less stressful.
We have only seen Dr. Whitten a few times but prefer him to the PA. He seems to be empathetic and has always been nice. He is thorough and understanding. During our last appointment, he gave us his email address which I wish we would have had in the beginning. It is nice to be able to directly communication with him.
Get his email address so you do not always have to go through the staff. Ask to see him if possible over the PA
Dr. Whitten has been really nice to my husband and I but we have actually seen the PA for most of our treatment. Our count was low for the first IUI but the PA still recommended that we proceed. At this time, I felt like it would have been nice for the Doctor to check in with us but it seemed like we were pretty much on our own. The second IUI numbers were even worse and I was pretty upset. The PA recommended that I make a consult appointment to speak with the doctor due to my “emotional” state right after the 2nd IUI. The only available appointment would have been after the start of the third IUI and initially he recommended 4 to 5 rounds. We decided to continue with the third IUI but our consult appointment was cancelled. We lucked out and Dr Whitten was there for the procedure and told us that We should make a consult appointment to discuss other treatment options . My husband and I felt like there was poor internal communication and the doctor should have been notified about our low numbers after the first IUI. We probably would have wasted less money and time.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths- good statistics Weaknesses- poor communication IVF starts approximately every other month so it is important to plan accordingly. The financial counselor does not have as much information as you would hope to get.
Approximately $4,000 with insurance and the costs are ongoing as we plan to do ivf
What specific things went wrong at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
They can be hard to get a hold of and sometimes it is important information that you need. They do not seem to have good communication within the office as we felt like the doctor should have been notified about our numbers and he should have met with us sooner. The PA was not very nice to us.
Reno

In general, Dr. Whitten and the staff were kind toward my husband and me. The appointments did seem rushed, and impersonal at times...is knowledgeable and was willing to allow us to move forward with IVF, after 2 failed IUIs with a previous doctor. We only saw him at the initial consultation and during the egg retrieval...The specifics of my protocol, and the rationale behind them, were never articulated to me...Dr. Whitten strongly advises that we choose to transfer one embryo at a time, but will allow us to transfer two if we request it...We were hoping to receive more information about each test result (blood draw numbers, numbers of follicles, numbers of growing embryos, etc.), but we only received the number of eggs collected, number of fertilized eggs, and number of frozen embryos.
[Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine] is the only clinic in town, so we didn't have a choice. We were treated well by the doctor and staff, and the clinic itself is very comfortable. We were hoping to receive more information about each test result (blood draw numbers, numbers of follicles, numbers of growing embryos, etc.), but we only received the number of eggs collected, number of fertilized eggs, and number of frozen embryos. Ultimately we are disappointed with the results, and don't yet have answers as to why...The IVF coordinator (Jen) was very organized, and made me feel very prepared going into each next step of the process.
Dr. Whitten is knowledgeable and was willing to allow us to move forward with IVF, after 2 failed IUIs with a previous doctor. We only saw him at the initial consultation and during the egg retrieval.
Ask all of the questions you may have, even if the appointment feels rushed for time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
This is the only clinic in town, so we didn't have a choice. We were treated well by the doctor and staff, and the clinic itself is very comfortable. We were hoping to receive more information about each test result (blood draw numbers, numbers of follicles, numbers of growing embryos, etc.), but we only received the number of eggs collected, number of fertilized eggs, and number of frozen embryos. Ultimately we are disappointed with the results, and don't yet have answers as to why.
We opted for a 2-cycle Attain program, which cost $25,200. We also paid a $250 deposit to join the IVF cycle group, $3,075 for the stimulation meds, and $500 for the anesthesiologist.
What specific things went wrong at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
We just felt like the appointments were rushed, only pertinent information was shared with us, and the ultimate number of embryos was less than expected.

2017, Unknown Success
When I first went to see Dr Whitten he set a plan in motion right away and we were able to do an IUI the first month we saw him. He had good bedside manner and was caring but also didn't sugar coat anything...Th communication between the Dr and the PA was a bit broken. The PA always assumed that I knew what was happening and rushed me through the appointment. ..Dr Whitten will spend a good amount of time on your first visit.
[Nurses at NV Center for Repro Med] Friendly, knowledgeable but can rush though explanations so for me it was hard to understand certain things the first time...[Clinic i] Well organized, clean and welcoming. It's can feel like you are being rushed through sometimes especially for ultrasounds. The appointment takes minutes but costs $250 min. For me it is a bit excessive and too expensive. Ithe can feel very much like a business and have a sreamlined protocol where they care more about the money rather than coming up with an individual plan catered to my needs.
Dr Whitten will spend a good amount of time on your first visit. This would be a great time to ask all your questions because other appointments feel a little rushed.
Th communication between the Dr and the PA was a bit broken. The PA always assumed that I knew what was happening and rushed me through the appointment. The process and explanation why certain this HD to happen wasn't clear and when I did ask a question it felt like I was a burden.
I have unexplined fertility so all test results came back normal. He suggested IUI because if I had hostile cervical mucus and IUI would bypass the cervix. I was ovulating on my own but he had me taking clomid and then femara to help produce a big enough folicle. Once I had a big enough folicle I was given and HCG shot to force ovulation and then did the IUI the next day. After the IUI I took progesterone suppository until I got a negative pregnancy test the day my period should start in case I didn't produce enough progesterone on my own. All though out my cycle the would do an ultrasound of my ovaries to see the progress of the foliclesame and to make sure I didn't have any cysts from the medication. Theven Dr won't give you a prescription unlessential you are being monitored with the frequent ultrasounds.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
First visit with ultrasound:$265 Ultrasounds (up to 4 a cycle) $250 IUI :$250 Sperms washing: $250 My typical per cyle cost was around $1200
Reno

I’ve only met him once, and he was very kind. I was told by my OB to go on Lupron, but Dr. Whitten understood my hesitations and recommended another course of action that felt more appropritate for me. His explanations all seem logical and not rushed at all. The only negative thing I would say is that it would be nice if he popped in for procedures as those have only been done by the PA....Long appointment time and kind demeanor. Willing to take time and answer questions
Their kind demeanor [Nevada Ctr for Repro Med] is a strength and I appreciated how much time DR. Whitten spent with me at my first appointment. Every other appointment since then has been pretty quick and I do feel slightly rushed....They’re all very kind and happy to help. I mostly meet with the PA....$250/ultrasound. $250 for IUI. $250 for sperm washing. About $1k per cycle for IUI, excl meds.
Write your questions down and take advantage of the time there. Ask how involved he is in the process and be aware of all the options available.
Ultrasound by day 5 of cycle to check lining. Days 3-9 is Femara. Day 10-12ish I take ovulation test at home and then around day 12 or 13 is another ultrasound to check follicles. If follicles are proper size I receive HCG trigger and come back following day for IUI procedure. After that it’s progesterone suppositories until HCG blood test. Rinse and repeat for up to 4 cycles and then we would potentially discuss other options.
They’re all very kind and happy to help. I mostly meet with the PA.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Their kind demeanor is a strength and I appreciated how much time DR. Whitten spent with me at my first appointment. Every other appointment since then has been pretty quick and I do feel slightly rushed.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Whitten was communicative and patient, humorous and gentle and honest. I never felt like a number to him....He even hosted and showed up for a monthly infertility support group locally— it was amazingly to see him coming to his patients on his own time, making sure they had a resource for processing the struggle of infertility treatment emotionally! Just above and beyond human compassion.
Everyone [Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine] was always warm, welcoming, and encouraging. I never felt rushed or disregarded....I do have to say that the nurse liaison for egg retrieval was MUCH more involved than the nurse liaison post-transfer; she was slow to respond and offered very little information without being bugged.... We spent about $17k on our IVF egg retrieval, ICSI, and first FET.
I always felt welcome and valid. I never felt he was impatient with our questions; he always took the time to think and answer clearly. I felt he was always making the best decision based on the situation.
Give him a chance! He doesn’t flash as many awards as Dr. Foulk but I personally found his bedside manner invaluable during treatment. He even hosted and showed up for a monthly infertility support group locally— it was amazingly to see him coming to his patients on his own time, making sure they had a resource for processing the struggle of infertility treatment emotionally! Just above and beyond human compassion.
We did a standard ICSI FET supported by PIO and progesterone pessaries, that resulted in a pregnancy that unfortunately didn’t last. He recommended an anti-inflammatory protocol for me for the next transfer based on the fact that we implanted but the embryo didn’t make it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jo)
Everyone was always warm, welcoming, and encouraging. I never felt rushed or disregarded.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
One of the best! Just avoid Dr. Foulk if bedside manner is important to you— you will not get it from him. I do have to say that the nurse liaison for egg retrieval was MUCH more involved than the nurse liaison post-transfer; she was slow to respond and offered very little information without being bugged.
We spent about $17k on our IVF egg retrieval, ICSI, and first FET. We spelt $2k per IUI before that (x2).
What specific things went wrong at Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Was missing blood lab work orders once — was rectified with a phone call

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. Scott Whitten] is very knowledgeable and determined to help me become pregnant. With my history, the treatment plan had needed to change multiple times, but I am still hopeful for success. There has always been a sensitive approach to my care and flexibility with options based on my comfort level...Be prepared to stay in it for the long haul. Results do not seem to happen right away for me based on proposed treatment.
The clinic [Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine] is a warm and inviting environment for the typical patient. Unfortunately, I have become very uncomfortable at this office due to the repeated lack of success to become pregnant...I get further discouraged seeing the newborn photography and patient testimonials around which promotes this false sense of reassurance...I have struggled to communicate with the nursing staff. The phone system is not typically operated well to get a timely response if at all. One of the nurses that I seemed to be assigned did not interact positively and gave me the impression that I was an inconvenience. With all of my fertility struggles I need a more understanding and compassionate person handling my care rather than what I received at this office.
Scott Whitten is very knowledgeable and determined to help me become pregnant. With my history, the treatment plan had needed to change multiple times, but I am still hopeful for success. There has always been a sensitive approach to my care and flexibility with options based on my comfort level.
Unfortunately, I have struggled to communicate with the nursing staff. The phone system is not typically operated well to get a timely response if at all. One of the nurses that I seemed to be assigned did not interact positively and gave me the impression that I was an inconvenience. With all of my fertility struggles I need a more understanding and compassionate person handling my care rather than what I received at this office.
Describe your experience with Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is a warm and inviting environment for the typical patient. Unfortunately, I have become very uncomfortable at this office due to the repeated lack of success to become pregnant. The decor of the clinic is now extremely depressing every time I am requested to be seen for a visit. I get further discouraged seeing the newborn photography and patient testimonials around which promotes this false sense of reassurance.