Medical SchoolU. of Witwatersrand
Boston, MA 02111
888 300-2483
1 Brookline Place
Brookline, MA 02445
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Selwyn Oskowitz to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Boston IVF to a friend?
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Ozkowitz is not necessarily overtly warm, yet the care he has for his patients is nonetheless obvious and he is wise and careful in his treatment plan....Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
Not to expect a big bear hug, that's not his personality, but he is a very good doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
Because the care was personal and appropriate for my situation. Dr. Oskowitz made a very astute plan as treatment evolved and after initial failure (and although the primary diagnosis of PCO was fairly standard there was unexplained poor egg quality that required some further finesse and analysis). The end result was 2 beautiful girls who are now 13 and 16. I can only imagine in the decade plus since my treatment, technology and care has continued to improve.
Describe the protocols Selwyn Oskowitz used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
With my first child, I was treated only for PCO with injections and eventually a successful IUI. It was discovered in my first pregnancy that I have an incompetent cervix which made me a high risk pregnancy. It also made it impossible for me to carry twins. So when it was time to attempt conceiving my 2nd pregnancy, we went straight to IVF to control the number of embryos implanted (only 1 at a time) to ensure I didn't have twins. What we found out when I went through IVF was that for an unexplained reason the embryos were poor quality. After 2 unsuccessful IVF treatments (and sorry, I just realized I put 2 IVF cycles in the questionnaire but it was actually 3), he recommended we wait until day 5 for transfer to really understand which embryo was good enough quality to survive. Only 1 embryo survived to day 5, and she is now almost 14. His treatment plan was a success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
I cannot remember the names now, treatment was a while ago, but the nurses were wonderful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF.
Covered by my insurance.
2004 - 2011
Dr. Oskowitz spoke warmly and individually. We were never rushed... He's a bit formal, very appropriate, and very knowledgeable. He's been doing this a long time. He isn't mushy or warm, but is very kind and smart...Gonal F for ovulation induction (I have PCOS and was probably not ovulating)...It was a great experience working with him...His nurse Karen was sweet and warm. He also worked with a nurse practitioner we really liked.
2004 - 2011
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
He's a bit formal, very appropriate, and very knowledgeable. He's been doing this a long time. He isn't mushy or warm, but is very kind and smart. I absolutely loved this practice and have recommended it to many people.
I can't think of anything. It was a great experience working with him, after a terrible one.
Dr. Oskowitz spoke warmly and individually. We were never rushed. His nurse Karen was sweet and warm. He also worked with a nurse practitioner we really liked. And the phlebotomists were so kind and skilled that I wrote a note the supervisor who read it at a staff meeting. Love this practice.
Gonal F for ovulation induction (I have PCOS and was probably not ovulating), and IUI just to cover the bases in case we had to go to IVF b/c my insurance would only do IVF after three IUI cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
I loved her. She was sweet, organized, and caring.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's organized as a cluster of mini private practices within a larger office. You see your doctor, your nurse (and in my case, your nurse practitioner, though just saw her once, b/c we were successful the first cycle). There is an insurance person for the whole practice who helps navigate all of that. I love this practice.
None--I think everything was covered by our insurance in MA.
2012 - 2014
3 IUI, IVF
...my doc [Dr. Oskowitz] was always kind and spent time with us...There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is...
2012 - 2014
3 IUI, IVF
Listen, BostonIVF is a factory of sorts. They see a LOT of people. And they see a lot of people because they are one of the best. That means that there are a lot of techs who do the blood draws. There are a lot of staff members who welcome you. There are a lot of different doctors and nurses you could see depending on the day. But I did feel like they all cared in their own way, and they try to make it not like a factory, even though with the number of people through the doors, that's kind of what it is. But my doc was always kind and spent time with us. Had a great therapist through the Waltham office. The nurse who explained how to administer the drugs spent lots of time with us. So yes, you are a number. But in my experience, being a number also comes with options and extra help and several locations that might be more convenient depending on whether I'm at home or at the office on the day I need to go in.
2006 - 2011
[Dr. Selwyn Oskowitz was] professional and straight forward. Not warm and fuzzy. I felt like he would get the job done...It was a busy practice, but I felt like I was treated professionally and appropriately. I mostly saw his NP who provided the most "human" contact...There were some insurance coverage mix ups [at Boston IVF] but they got worked out. The clinic was great about doing early morning before work ultrasounds and blood draws.
2006 - 2011
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
Professional and straight forward. Not warm and fuzzy. I felt like he would get the job done. I am now filling in more words to get to 200 characters. How much more do I have to write? I think there is a glitch. He was professional and straight forward. I am a physician so I was not expecting or needing more.
He is professional and straight forward.
It was 2007, we used basic protocols as I was a single woman with no speicific fertility issues other than age at 39 and being single.
The nursing staff was kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
There were some insurance coverage mix ups but they got worked out. The clinic was great about doing early morning before work ultrasounds and blood draws.
Copays, insurance covered.
2012 - 2013
He did a great job of explaining the process and his approach and recommendations, but also always asking what I was comfortable with and willing to adjust the course to meet my personal needs. He answered as many questions as I needed and made me feel like I was in charge of my care.
2012 - 2013
Ask lots of questions.
They knew who I was and catered to my particular circumstances, always making sure that I was on-board with the plan and ready to listen if something wasn't working.
They were on top of things, understanding and compassionate.
2003 - 2010
[Dr Selwyn Oskowitz] took time to explore all the issues/possibilities/probabilities. Showed interest in my overall health not just ovaries. Very supportive and encouraging. Respectful...Informative, respectful, competent. Honest re probabilities, possibilities, shared professional opinions, honest re competencies, concerns. Professional.
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
OK to ask lots of questions and share any concerns. He seemed to 'get it.'
Took time to explore all the issues/possibilities/probabilities. Showed interest in my overall health not just ovaries. Very supportive and encouraging. Respectful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Organized, clean, timely, professional, mostly considerate of time and stress involved in this kind of care.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He was reserved, knowledgeable, clearly an expert, but not warm at all. I trusted him, but did not like how negative he was....Be aware for bluntness, and not a lot of compassion. Also, he does not perform many of the actual procedures.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Selwyn Oskowitz at Boston IVF?
He knew who I was and about my case, but his bedside manner was gruff andkind of negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
They were very nice. The main nurse I dealt with was very repetitive. Maybe she found that necessary. I found hearing something three times unnecessary.