7.2

6.4

Universidad de la República
EVMA
Eastern Virginia Jones

Dr. Oehninger is a very competent physician. We initially liked him because of his bluntness about the procedures and statistical chances of having a child. As days went past during our cycle, it seemed as if we heard less and less from him. He was not available in at least two of our ultrasounds, which to us was a very important time to speak to us....Dr Oehninger was not there for our egg retrieval which was very disappointing.
The clinic [Jones] is generally quick to get a new patient in. It is likely due to that process that patients are not coddled. It is very straight forward. In and out during ultrasound and bloodwork visits. The nursing staff was very nice and accommodating during our retrieval and transfer appointments...The institute scheduled our cycle based on the number of people entering the clinic. All of our scheduled appointments were set up to maximize the number of patients per day.
How was your experience with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Oehninger is a very competent physician. We initially liked him because of his bluntness about the procedures and statistical chances of having a child. As days went past during our cycle, it seemed as if we heard less and less from him. He was not available in at least two of our ultrasounds, which to us was a very important time to speak to us. The other physicians conducting the ultrasound screening were not up to date with our progress. Dr Oehninger was not there for our egg retrieval which was very disappointing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Don't expect coddling. He is very thorough in procedural explanation but definitely do research and ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
The Jones Institute is obviously a very reputable clinic. That is the main reason my wife and I chose it. The institute scheduled our cycle based on the number of people entering the clinic. All of our scheduled appointments were set up to maximize the number of patients per day. It is for this reason that I feel we did not get the attention we wanted. It just seemed like we were another customer just running through the line.
Describe the protocols Sergio Oehninger used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We used an antagonistic approach
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The nursing staff was very nice. There did not seem to be much communication between the nurses and between the nurses and doctors.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is generally quick to get a new patient in. It is likely due to that process that patients are not coddled. It is very straight forward. In and out during ultrasound and bloodwork visits. The nursing staff was very nice and accommodating during our retrieval and transfer appointments. We only had 3 eggs with one mature which had a failed transfer. Our retrieval procedure time was very short. Aspirations took under half an hour. All indications pre retrieval, showed we had at least 8 eggs. After speaking with another clinic, they informed us that their retrieval was much more thorough. It is for this reason we believe we had a failed cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sergio Oehninger at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We went with a single cycle option. There was an available shared risk program that was double for a single cycle.
Describe Sergio Oehninger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Multiple embryo transfer was explained to us. The Jones institute protocol was to transfer up to two embryos only.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
We believe there was a procedural error during our retrieval. The retrieval process was extremely short. After speaking with another clinic, they informed us of the importance of taking time during retrieval.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I feel that because we were diagnosed with male factor infertility and needing donor sperm, and nothing was super obviously wrong with me, he [Dr. Oehninger] brushed us off as an easy case....When we had our last meeting before going in for our sixth and final IUI, Dr. O seemed to brush off any of my concerns and requests doe further testing on me to see if there was anything that we could address easily before the next go. It wasn't until after I stopped going to Dr. O that we discovered my blood pressure was significantly above normal range and that my T4 levels were way off normal range, as well.
This is a big, productive group. They [Jones - Norfolk] produce results for lots of people but they are by no means perfect. Prepare yourself for appointments, advocate and research on your own behalf, and don't get too worked up when they make mistakes or goof up small things.... Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of the clinic, I feel they miss some critical details in patient files.... [Cost Of Treatment] $250/IUI plus drug costs
We we're diagnosed through Dr. O and Dr. Brough with azoospermia/male factor infertility. Upon receiving that diagnosis, my husband and I took break for several months before jumping in to treatment. When we ordered our donor sperm and got started with treatment, I don't think my file was reevaluated or not. We jumped right in to three natural IUI cycles , the first of which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After that, we did two more cycles with letrozole and trigger. Every time I went for ultrasounds, everything looked great. When we had our last meeting before going in for our sixth and final IUI, Dr. O seemed to brush off any of my concerns and requests doe further testing on me to see if there was anything that we could address easily before the next go. It wasn't until after I stopped going to Dr. O that we discovered my blood pressure was significantly above normal range and that my T4 levels were way off normal range, as well. We are happy with our new doctor and wish Dr. O all of the best, but he was not the right fit for us.
Ask questions. ALWAYS. Ask for copies of all of your test results and research on your end that you are within normal ranges.
I feel that because we were diagnosed with male factor infertility and needing donor sperm, and nothing was super obviously wrong with me, he brushed us off as an easy case.
3 natural IUI cycles with donor sperm with monitoring on day 12. (The first of those three resulted in a chemical pregnancy) 2 donor sperm IUI cycles with 5 days of letrozole 5mg per day, trigger shot, and 10 days of progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
The nursing staff there is great.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This is a big, productive group. They produce results for lots of people but they are by no means perfect. Prepare yourself for appointments, advocate and research on your own behalf, and don't get too worked up when they make mistakes or goof up small things.
$250/IUI plus drug costs
Norfolk
I liked that my Dr. [Oehninger] was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking...I was upset after my 2nd FET I waited around for an hour without update on why my transfer was being delayed. Finally the DR. said he wanted to "watch the embryos" I didn't find out until 30 minutes later that out of 6 in the freezer 4 of them were not thawing well. I only found out after my negative pregnancy test that none of the other embryos survived. That was the biggest disappointment in the process.
I think they [Jones Institute] do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle...I think the care coordinator does an ok job. I think that because there are so many patients to come each day she looses a bit of her organization. I got a few messages on the medication line that were in correct or hard to understand.
I liked that my Dr. was the director of the top program in the area but with that I felt a disconnect from him at times. Luckily there were other Doctors on staff to pick up slack where his was lacking.
Be tough on the things that are important to you to make sure your voice is heard and that you don't get lost in the crowd.
I felt like though there was a sense of them trying to make every cycle and every patient have their personal touch there were still days where I was just lost in the mix. With lots of cycle starts and long wait times during appointments I would often feel like I just needed to get in and out because I was already stressed about being late to work from waiting on my appointment to start an hour late.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I think they do a good of listening to you as a patient and putting the best efforts on the table for you to achieve your overall goal. There are times where they have so many patients in cycle at once, however, where you might feel a little lost in the shuffle. I would tell a future patient to be strong through this process and to not loose sight of what you feel you need because you feel rushed.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
I think I was more frustrated with my appointment wait times. Also, I was upset after my 2nd FET I waited around for an hour without update on why my transfer was being delayed. Finally the DR. said he wanted to "watch the embryos" I didn't find out until 30 minutes later that out of 6 in the freezer 4 of them were not thawing well. I only found out after my negative pregnancy test that none of the other embryos survived. That was the biggest disappointment in the process.
Norfolk

[Dr. Sergio Oehninger] is a doctor that knows the science behind everything and had studied fertility for a long time. He is friendly and approachable but he spends little time with his patients on a one on one basis. Perhaps he is busy or he could also just be awkward at times...Pay attention to your egg retrieval stats early on - he may overlook certain things...He was great and friendly but seemed very busy all the time.
Strengths [at Sher Fertility of New York]: convenient location, friendly and caring staff, attentive doctors. Great online portal. Weaknesses: facility is outdated, communication can be improved. Would be better to have one clinic staff member per patient instead of pooled clinicians...They [nurses] are very sweet, attentive and diligent. Some are better than others but they were all good at their jobs...I used birth control and estrogen to prepare for embryo transfer and then began progesterone as well.
How was your experience with Sergio Oehninger at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Sergio is a doctor that knows the science behind everything and had studied fertility for a long time. He is friendly and approachable but he spends little time with his patients on a one on one basis. Perhaps he is busy or he could also just be awkward at times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sergio Oehninger at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sergio Oehninger at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
He was great and friendly but seemed very busy all the time.
Describe the protocols Sergio Oehninger used in your cycles at Sher Fertility Solutions New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
They are very sweet, attentive and diligent. Some are better than others but they were all good at their jobs.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Strengths: convenient location, friendly and caring staff, attentive doctors. Great online portal. Weaknesses: facility is outdated, communication can be improved. Would be better to have one clinic staff member per patient instead of pooled clinicians.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sergio Oehninger at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Unsure but over $10k
Describe Sergio Oehninger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
No comments
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
2017, Unknown Success
I only saw Dr. Oehninger the first appointment for consultation and then we he canceled my cycle, all other times the staff would rotate. The staff is very friendly and compassionate. I did not feel he would know who I was if someone were to ask him.... We used menopur and gonal-f, omnitrope. He primed my with 2 weeks of OCP.... They recommended singleton for transfer.... You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR.
This clinic [Jones Institute] is hard to schedule appointments with at times. The staff is friendly. You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR. I believe if you can drive to different clinics you may be seen by one doctor continuously however that was never the case during my care....The staff was friendly and interactive on visits. They were always smiling and nice....The cost was approx. 15,000 without cost of medications.
I would suggest seeing another physician in that clinic if you go to Jones.
I did not see Dr. O but the staff and other physicians I saw were very caring.
We used menopur and gonal-f, omnitrope. He primed my with 2 weeks of OCP.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is hard to schedule appointments with at times. The staff is friendly. You will see a different doctor as they rotate for ultrasounds and OR. I believe if you can drive to different clinics you may be seen by one doctor continuously however that was never the case during my care.
The cost was approx. 15,000 without cost of medications.
They recommended singleton for transfer.
Norfolk

Thick accent made it hard to understand at times, very to the point not a lot of time for questions. [Dr. Oehninger] Explained what we were doing that day, but not a lot of details on future options, just vague timeline... Femerra used with ultrasound checks, found hemmoraging cyst and halted further injection until cyst cleared... Everything was routine for them but not for me. I had questions and no one took the time to ask and answer them in depth.
Organized and routine, [Jones Institute] could be better about sharing info with patients and giving timelines and requirements upfront (like you only get 3 tries with clomid and first try counts even if you can’t do injection because you have a cyst)... Consult and ultrasound in the $250 range, second ultrasound and meds + appt in the $400 range... Everything was routine for them but not for me. I had questions and no one took the time to ask and answer them in depth.
Thick accent made it hard to understand at times, very to the point not a lot of time for questions. Explained what we were doing that day, but not a lot of details on future options, just vague timeline
Choose another, but I think he’s retire now
Everything was routine for them but not for me. I had questions and no one took the time to ask and answer them in depth. There was explanation on what I was doing at the time, but little explanation on the big picture or options or prices
Friendly, explained some things in detail, empathetic some
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Organized and routine, could be better about sharing info with patients and giving timelines and requirements upfront (like you only get 3 tries with clomid and first try counts even if you can’t do injection because you have a cyst)