Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
Cornelius
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Seth Katz to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 64%Don't recommend: 36%8
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend REACH to a friend?
2012 - 2016
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Katz is very personable. He is understanding of the emotional, physical and financial toll fertility treatment can take on a person and couple. He is very knowledgeable about different medical conditions and honest about potential outcomes. He is no nonsense, which I appreciate.
2012 - 2016
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Seth Katz at REACH?
If you have a question, ask. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed that you need something clarified or explained differently.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Seth Katz at REACH?
In the beginning, I felt like I was just a number going through the steps. However, the longer I was in treatment and got to know both Dr. Katz and the amazing nursing team, I began to feel more like a human.
Describe the protocols Seth Katz used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
First, we tried three cycles of injections and timed intercourse. Next, we tried two cycles of injections and IUI. My gut said it was time to move on and Dr. Katz agreed. Then, we did an IVF cycle with retrieval and intent to freeze. Unfortunately, none of my embryos make it far enough for freezing. Finally, Dr. Katz presented my case to his fellow doctors and decided to alter my medications and do another cycle without egg donation. Even though other doctors in the practice felt my first IVF cycle was a clear indication that my eggs were of poor quality and unable to be successful in the future, he wasn't convinced. We proceeded with a new, aggressive protocol. The result was four embryos that made it to freezing. All four were thawed and transferred (also a risky decision) and today I have one amazing and healthy daughter. Today, we are trying for another child. We began with two IUIs. One resulted in a negative and one in a six-week miscarriage (likely due to poor egg quality). We are currently in the process of beginning another round of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie (IVF coordinator) and Melissa (IUI, etc.) are extremely caring, professional and wonderful nurses. They understand both the medical and emotional aspects of fertility treatment and are an amazing asset to REACH.
Describe your experience with REACH.
It is modern and updated. Clean with state of the art equipment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
You wait in line, get paperwork, go for either blood work first or ultrasound first. It's a quick appointment and if you need to get into your workplace, this is great. This is not the time to ask questions of your nursing team.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Fertility treatment is VERY expensive. IUI was approximately $2000 including medication (purchased elsewhere). IVF was approximately $12000 for all procedures, tests, appointments and medication (purchased from a separate place).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Katz is a very good listener and compassionate about the situation you are in. I felt that when we had scheduled office appointments to meet face to face with him in his office he was very attentive and would answer all of our questions....Leading up to egg retrieval there is no guarantee what doctor you will see....It became harder to know the treatment plan we I was coming in for monitoring because I was not seeing him each time. He can be blunt but in a way that can be appreciated.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz is a very good listener and compassionate about the situation you are in. I felt that when we had scheduled office appointments to meet face to face with him in his office he was very attentive and would answer all of our questions. It became harder to know the treatment plan we I was coming in for monitoring because I was not seeing him each time. He can be blunt but in a way that can be appreciated. I felt that a weakness was that he took a try and see approach that did not end up being the correct course for our issue.
I would recommend asking for all of the potential treatment options upfront and what the least and most aggressive approach would be so that you can educate yourself and help formulate your treatment plan
This is a very busy practice. Leading up to egg retrieval there is no guarantee what doctor you will see. I would show up on time but a lot of the appointments would start late and then I would be rushed in and out.
Antagonist Protocol Estrace 2mg by mouth Cetrotide 0.25 mg injection for 4 days Gonal F 350 then 400 Diluted HCG 40 Omnitrope 25 Doxy 1 am and 1pm Baby Asprin 81mg
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Harrell)
Dr. Katz's nurse team was great. They were available when needed and were there to ask questions and let you know if what you were experiencing was normal. I did have a couple of monitoring and blood draw appointments where the date communicated to me were incorrect but they were so nice that it did bother me.
Describe your experience with REACH.
One of the clinics strengths is the nursing staff. They are very personable and great. It is also very convenient to have the lab right there in the building. This practice seems to be too busy for the staff they have. I felt that their finance team was pretty terrible to work with. Our insurance does not cover anything, so we had to have more interaction with their finance and billing team. We had to pay for our treatment all upfront. They were very easy to reach and would follow up quickly prior to paying but became harder to reach once we paid. Our IVF treatment made it to egg retrieval but not to embryo transfer. After speaking with their team I believe that some of it was related to their onsite IVF lab.
Charlotte
Dr. Katz was always kind and straightforward during appointments. He told lots of stories of previous patients to give examples....Very rare to actually see Dr. Katz for an appointment. Saw multiple doctors during my time at REACH for monitoring. During my time at REACH (for all testing and 3 IUI's) I only saw Dr. Katz 3 times. Since the doctor's varied so much for monitoring the experience at each visit was different and no one actually knew me.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Ask lots of questions and advocate for yourself.
During my time under Dr. Katz's care I completed three medicated cycles. Since I ovulate on my own and our diagnosis is Male Factor Infertility it was recommended we skip timed intercourse and go right to IUI. A low dose of Letrozole was used for each cycle. Dr. Katz picked this over Clomid based on side effects. My spouse was put on Clomid and a fertility blend vitamin to attempt to treat his Male Factor Infertility. I responded well to Letrozole each time (2-3 follicles) and and IUI was completed. Post wash numbers for the IUI's were never at the 10 million they were wanting. All cycles resulted in BFN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Most of my contact was with Melissa. She appeared organized but my main contact with her was over the phone.
Describe your experience with REACH.
REACH is a very popular clinic in Charlotte and was used by several of my coworkers. Since it is such a large and bust clinic I really felt like just a number and that no one knew who I was. There are many doctors on staff and they operate with more of a team approach, which contributes to feeling like no one knows who you are. Each doctor varied widely in how much information they would give you in an appointment for monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Each IUI cycle cost around $1,500. All testing was put towards my insurance deductible.
2012 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr Seth Katz at REACH in Charlotte] never gave us false hope but always made sure we knew he would do everything he could to help us conceive. He cried both happy and sad tears with us and never made us feel pressured to do anything we weren't ready for. I never once questioned if my care was in the right hands.
2012 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz was compassionate and upfront about what we would be dealing with in order to conceive. He never "talked down" to us, like some doctors can do. He always made sure we understood what was going on, why he recommended certain treatments and what the next steps would be. He never gave us false hope but always made sure we knew he would do everything he could to help us conceive. He cried both happy and sad tears with us and never made us feel pressured to do anything we weren't ready for. I never once questioned if my care was in the right hands.
Go in willing to listen to what he recommends. He is a very competent doctor who knows what the best treatment plan is for different fertility issues.
Dr. Katz is very sympathetic to his patients emotional situation but is also very candid and honest about your medical situation. He always explained in great detail our test and procedure results so we understood everything that was going on.
Our first step was trying to figure out why we weren't getting pregnant on our own. A blood test and hcg were done. During the hcg he discovered I had blocked/infected fallopian tubes as well as a low ovarian reserve. The next step was surgery to attempt to clear the blockage and infection from the tubes. He was upfront about the likelihood of removing one (and possibly both) of the tubes due to scar tissue and damage from the infected fluid. The end result was one tube was removed and the other, now cleared of infection, was in poor condition from scar tissue. He advised us our next step should be IVF since that was the only treatment option that completely bypassed the fallopian tube. Once we were ready (about a year later) we began IVF injections and monitoring. Our first cycle was canceled due to poor response to medications. Some adjustments were made to dosages and we began a second cycle. This cycle resulted in 6 eggs being retrieved, 5 were fertilized, two were transferred at 5 days and the remaining three were monitored for possible freezing. Of those three only one was viable to freeze, which we did. The two which were transferred resulted in a healthy twin pregnancy and live twin birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
They returned calls very quickly and all questions were answered as soon as possible. They did everything they could to help, inform and support us. Stephanie was incredibly compassionate, she called, just to check on us, several times during our cycle. She was encouraging and sympathetic.
Describe your experience with REACH.
They are a wonderful clinic with a very competent staff. I saw several of the other doctors during cycle monitoring checks and they all seemed very professional and knowledgeable. Some seemed to be warmer than others, which is good since different patients want different types of doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
initial diagnostic testing and procedures - $800 roughly surgery - $2,500 roughly IVF medications - $5000 roughly IVF procedure - $14,000
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Katz was very personable and understanding. He was very caring towards me as a person. He came up with a personalized treatment plan specifically just for me and was very involved in the process.... We used gonal f, lo dose hcg and omnitrope for my protocol. We also used testosterone prior to stimming. With the added use of the omnitrope for my diminished ovarian reserve we had much better results with icsi and I became pregnant with a Singleton.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz was the best doctor I have ever had. He was compassionate and understanding and is very knowledgeable. He diagnosed me and came up with the proper treatment plan to get me pregnant and it ended up working.
I would say just be prepared for any outcome as the this journey is a very difficult Journey. Dr. Katz is an excellent doctor and he will do everything and anything in his power to give you the best chances for succeeding
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and mary)
Both girls were wonderful. They promptly returned my emails and calls and answered all questions o had.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic has wonderful providers and nursing staff. Even the lab tech and front desk staff are great. They are great at communication and also compassion. I highly recommend this practice. We will be returning when we are ready for baby number 2
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
All in we spent about 35k. We used the attain program and all payment was due up front. The attain program was great
Describe Seth Katz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My Dr decides on how many to transfer based on the patient. Due to my history of poor egg quality we both agreed on transferring two.
2011 - 2013
Dr. Katz was the only doctor at the practice willing to take on my case as a single mother using known donor sperm. While initially hesitant, once I cleared all of the required psych evaluations he was 100% committed to my treatment. I mostly saw other doctors for mid-cycle checks and such, but Dr. Katz was always there for my procedures or any big tests.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Show an interest in your own course of treatment, he will listen to you.
Dr. Katz was always very willing to explain things to me, listen to my ideas and questions and had no problem letting me make decisions and recommendations regarding my own treatment. Melissa, his nurse was always warm and personable and very willing to communicate with me. The only times I felt more like a number was when I saw a different doctor for cycle check appointments.
I did all IUI with Letrozol. I had no real fertility issues outside of my age so it was just a matter of increasing my chances and timing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
I loved Melissa! She was supportive, open and willing to talk at any time.
Describe your experience with REACH.
While I feel like my actual care was handled well, the billing department was always a mess. I had partial insurance coverage and for some reason they could never get things billed correctly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
If I remember correctly, IUI cycles were approx. $1,500 per cycle.
Charlotte
Dr. Katz was very thorough in his explanations, and what the next steps would be if I made choices to proceed with treatment. He was a good listener to my concerns and answer any questions that I had, or questions my husband had. I never felt rushed at any of the office visits...Dr. Katz suggested laparoscopy in order to make a diagnosis for the infertility. Results were blocked fallopian tubes.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Come prepared with questions.
Dr. Katz was very informative, very upfront, and was willing to answer all of my questions.
Nursing staff was friendly. I was only with them briefly before seeing Dr. Katz. The front desk person was the person who took my blood.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strength is they are very knowledgeable and compassionate. Weakness is that you have to leave a message every time you call, and then you will receive a call back. You cannot call and reach someone. The nurse even told me this at my very first visit.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Cost was expensive. The bill I received did not reflect final insurance payment, so I had to call and discuss to get it refiled again.
He gave his opinion that multiples were high risk, and the babies could be very sick. And that his clinic is actually "docked" (or would be in the future) for multiple transfers, since the medical cost after birth far exceeds single transfers.
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Katz always took his time to explain everything.... Dr. Katz has always answered my questions and put me at ease. He is good at what he does even if it's not always what you want to hear. I felt more comfortable knowing I was in capable hands whether it was just monitoring or my surgery.... Go in with an open mind and trust him. He will not stear you in the wrong direction.... I was scheduled for an appointnentnonce via phone that my husband and I both took off work for only to find out, it wasn't documented. We showed up for said appointment and the Dr. wasn't there because he didn't know about it.
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz always took his time to explain everything.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Dr. Katz and his team are phenomenal. The billing department however could use some major help. Just keep a close eye on what you are being charged for vs. What they bill your insurance for. You don't want to end up over paying and we all know this process can get costly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Cycle monitoring $700. Laparoscopy $1200. Copay $55.
2011 - 2013
I found out I had endometriosis during my first pelvic ultrasound when dr Katz said "utt o". Ask lots of questions!
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
I found out I had endo during my first pelvic ultrasound when dr Katz said "utt o".
Ask lots of questions!
Making me wait to find out negative pregnancy tests. But Melissa was the nurse who told me I was pregnant and she didn't make me wait for those results.