RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility

Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolThomas Jefferson
ResidencyAbington Mem Hosp
FellowshipThomas Jefferson
301 South 7th Ave
West Reading, PA 19611
610-374-2214 x3071
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shahab Minassian to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 61%Don't recommend: 39%7
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Dr. Minnassian was often very blunt and I feel did not do a good job of explaining everything to me. When I did question things it seemed to be swept under the rug and I felt like I didn’t know what I was talking about so my thoughts were not considered. He often seemed rushed and in 2 years only felt like we had two good conversations.... We only did one cycle of clomid and trigger shot with him because he would not allow us to move forward.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Shahab Minassian at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shahab Minassian at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility?
Do your own research and be an advocate for yourself. If it doesn’t feel right don’t agree to it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shahab Minassian at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility?
I was called to setup an appiyand the nurse argued with me, told me I was wrong and then called back to apologize because after we argued then she when and looked at my chart, realized who I was, my situation and that I was in the right. I never felt a connect with the doctor or any of the nurses, never got a warm welcome, was always talked to as if it was my first time being there
Describe the protocols Shahab Minassian used in your cycles at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility and their degree of success.
We only did one cycle of clomid and trigger shot with him because he would not allow us to move forward. He was very intent on treating my endometritis (infection in uterus) with very heavy antibiotics and multiple biopsies. He felt that this was the only reason I was not getting pregnant and once we cleared it up we would have no issues
The nurses were always stiff and not very compassionate. Some seemed annoyed at questions I would ask or if I got upset in the office I was shrugged off
Describe your experience with RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
The hours were the only good thing. They need to work on their bedside manner and keeping policies consistent from the nurses to the front desk staff. There seeemed to be a big weakness of communication between the staff and I always felt like I had to restate my issues when talking to the dr, nurse or other staff
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shahab Minassian at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
We have a $1500 deductible and a $50 copay every time I saw him
What specific things went wrong at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility?
IUI, 1 IVF
My husband had a couple semen analysis after some things were found wrong with him and Dr Minassian had my husband start on Vitamin E, CoQ10 & Selenium. We were told that IVF would be the best option for us. Through much blood work & testing I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my prolactin levels were a bit high. I was told I have low egg quality & Ovarian Reserve...Dr. minassian wanted to do a Mock transfer to see how progesterone was affecting my body, we did get some results to know how much progesterone I needed
IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Minassian is a good & kind hearted doctor. He seems to want what’s best for his patients. Dr. Minassian answers the questions as best as he can and like any doctor, sometimes they don’t have the answers you are looking for. I have felt like nuisance once when I needed to call him over a weekend but later he apologized after checking my circumstance out. During my transfers, he seems rushed but I know that timing means everything.
Make sure to ask all the questions you want answered and listen closely because he does seem to talk fast and it’s okay to ask for a repeat. He cares what you have to say and he does his best to answer you. Be patient because he does run late for appointments sometimes so make sure you schedule enough time between jobs and other activities.
I felt a little bit like both. He seems to care about you and answers the questions you have. Sometimes he may seem like he’s in a hurry. He can be very blunt and to the point, he doesn’t seem to dance around the issues which is what I like.
I had a laparoscopy from a previous doctor before Shahab to diagnose me with Stage 1 Endometriosis through an Endometrioma and she didn’t write too much for Minassian to go off of to start with us. He recommended another laparoscopy to see what he was dealing with. After the laparoscopy, we did a lot of blood work to check hormone levels. My husband had a couple semen analysis after some things were found wrong with him and Dr Minassian had my husband start on Vitamin E, CoQ10 & Selenium. We were told that IVF would be the best option for us. Through much blood work & testing I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my prolactin levels were a bit high. I was told I have low egg quality & Ovarian Reserve. We have had a few set backs & all but we have accepted them because reality is infertility sucks! We started IVF last April 2017. We had our first transfer last May with two frozen embryos and a pregnancy did not occur. August 2017 we had our 2nd transfer with one frozen embryo. It resulted with a low HCG level. The numbers did not increase but lowered. I consider it an early miscarry because I felt the cramping & back pain when the little one was implanting. One of my babies was transferred, it’s still a life. I hate the term “chemical pregnancy.” It’s still losing a life. Dr. minassian wanted to do a Mock transfer to see how progesterone was affecting my body, we did get some results to know how much progesterone I needed, so that’s good I guess. We were planning to start back January 2018 but our clinic is temporarily closed due to an inconvenience on their end with much confusion on our end. We are still currently waiting to hear back from them. We have two frozen embryos left.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Deb Schott)
The nurses have always been really nice to me when I have appts. I don’t spend a lot of time with them. Deb Schott is the IVF coordinator and she’s AMAZING. Love her. She is kind and seems to really care for the patients she deals with. I am happy that we get to deal with her on a daily basis during treatments. She returns phone calls and emails in a decent timing. She is blunt yet encouraging.
Describe your experience with RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
The clinic is very nice and clean. The check in/out staff are prompt and very pleasant to deal with. If you call and have to leave a message, the team is good at responding in a decent time. The nurses and ultrasound techs are als very kind and patient. The doctors are nice. As for most doctor offices, the place is busy and you might have to wait a little bit for the appt. but overall very nice clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
My monitoring appts have been mainly for our IVF & transfer treatments. Usually they are scheduled for a particular time. I have a good job that works with my treatments and has not been an issue. Sometimes I need to go in for a random appt but they have been pretty good with setting them up when it conveniences me.
Insurance doesn’t cover anything, we have to pay out of pocket. The costs are expensive as we knew it would be before starting any type of treatments. They have worked with us for payments and such. Everything is expensive.
Describe Shahab Minassian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
Dr. Minassian said that he prefers to do single embryo transfers only due to the high possibility of multiples. My husband and I made a plan before going into IVF so that we don’t drain our bank accounts. We are okay with the decisions that he stuck to. We plan to do two embryos for the last round in future.
West Reading
[Dr. Minassian is a] very kind sweet doctor! He worked so hard to figure out exactly what was going to work best for us to have a baby! He was always very attentive and never rushed through appointments! He always showed compassion but in a professional manner!! He always explained things so well, and answered any questions! A very patient doctor!...An older school practice but worth it!
A very kind sweet doctor! He worked so hard to figure out exactly what was going to work best for us to have a baby! He was always very attentive and never rushed through appointments! He always showed compassion but in a professional manner!! He always explained things so well, and answered any questions! A very patient doctor!
See him!!! He’s worth any time of travel and time out of your schedule! An older school practice but worth it!
My experience was beyond great! The staff treated myself and my husband wonderful! They were attentive and always so quick to answer my questions and put my mind at ease!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Debra Schott)
Deb not only was a great nurse, she was extremely compassionate and comforting!! She was so helpful and would answer any questions at any time! She was readily available and was so helpful during this time!
Describe your experience with RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
The doctors and nurses are wonderful! I think the staff that works the desk and who answer the phones could be friendlier!! It’s an “old school” clinic so they didn’t have pictures available of our embryos which was a downfall however the amazing care we received made up for it!
My clinic worked directly with a credit union called diamond credit union. This process was extremely simple to use. We had to go through the credit union in order to apply for a line of credit. Once we were approved the credit union paid our clinic directly. This took any pressure off of us when it came to making sure things were paid for! It was all taken care of prior too!
2013
I have a same-sex partner and he [Dr. Shahab Minassian] was respectful of that...We did an unmedicated IUI because that's what I wanted to do. I had no known fertility problems, just needed to do IUI because I have a female partner. He did recommend I take progesterone for the first trimester because I got pregnant while still nursing my first child and so my progesterone levels were a bit low...He was not in a rush-- sat down with me to have an in-depth conversation and answer my questions.
2013
He was not in a rush-- sat down with me to have an in-depth conversation and answer my questions. He seemed respectful. I have a same-sex partner and he was respectful of that. We only did one IUI because I got pregnant on the first try.
Don't be afraid to ask any questions you want to ask or to ask if something is possible. He is realistic but also reasonable to work with.
The clinic was very friendly-- returned phone calls, seemed organized. The nurses were friendly in person. Dr. M. took the time to answer my questions and seemed like a reasonable person to work with.
They were great at doing things like returning phone calls quickly and being organized. They were respectful in person. The one thing I didn't like was that once I got pregnant, the nurse I spoke to by phone gave me a long list of all the fear-based things I should do (what to eat, what not to eat, etc.) and that seemed rather negative. I didn't want a fear-based pregnancy.
Describe your experience with RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
Good at returning phone calls. Clean. Typical waiting room.
I don't remember the specifics. Probably under $1,000.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Doctor [Minassian] seemed fixated on invasive diagnostic procedures instead of interventions to assist with conception...He also failed to explain how one test would lead to missing an entire cycle...I stopped going to this doctor after he kept focusing on endometriosis when there was no evidence for this. Rather than start me on medication or appropriate interventions, he kept trying to do more tests even though nothing showed up. Testing is useful to a point but not when valuable cycles are being lost for no good reason...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The doctor focused on invasive diagnostic procedures instead of interventions to assist with conception. He also failed to explain how one test would lead to missing an entire cycle.
Go to another provider. I had much better success after one cycle with the fertility center.
It seemed disjointed and disorganized. Doctor seemed fixated on invasive diagnostic procedures instead of interventions to assist with conception.
Nice but disorganized. It was very hard to reach anyone (always playing phone tag). They messed up an appt. They sent me someone else's medical records. It was not a good experience.
Describe your experience with RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
The satellite clinic was very cramped and not comfortable. Wait times were well over 30 mins every visit. It was not a welcoming environment.
Costs seemed consistent with rates in this area.
What specific things went wrong at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility?
IUI, 2 IVF
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He [Dr Minassian] met with my husband & I each time we were there for a good amount of time, gave us ample opportunity to ask questions. Sometimes a bit rough w/ the tools however, some procedures were painful....Always take time to answer questions, returned phone calls and emails within a few hours, very compassionate
IUI, 2 IVF
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He met with my husband & I each time we were there for a good amount of time, gave us ample opportunity to ask questions. Sometimes a bit rough w/ the tools however, some procedures were painful.
Make sure to ask questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Deb schott)
Very patient w/ multiple questions and emails, returned calls & emails right away. Very compassionate during failed cycles. All the nurses willing to spend as much time as I wanted answering questions
Describe your experience with RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
Teaching hospital, there are frequently students or residents in the exams. They always ask if you are comfortable w/ that before they come in
I live about 2 hours from this clinic, they allowed me to have all Bloodwork & ultrasound monitoring at my home obgyn office
Base price $12000, cash customers (no insurance) got 30% discount, so we paid $8400, plus meds which were about $1200
West Reading
He [Dr. Minassian] sees a lot of people and it was at a hospital and I felt like just another patient....Minassian is extremely to the point and detailed which I liked. He is thorough and thoroughly reviewed by charts and history from my prior fertility doctor. He is not overly compassionate, but very smart.... Be prepared for a surgery to look at your uterus. I feel like this is a standard of his.... Minassian was extremely intelligent, but not very compassionate.
He sees a lot of people and it was at a hospital and I felt like just another patient.
Injectables with gonorelix to delay ovulation. No IUI. Multiple rounds, zero results.
Very much in the routine and not very compassionate. Just another patient.
Describe your experience with RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
Minassian was extremely intelligent, but not very compassionate. Far drive for me and nurses weren’t very compassionate. Multiple rounds of injectables and no results. I really felt like a number and not a human. He was located at a hospital and Office was very much hospital like. Had to have a surgery to check my uterus.
Very expensive
2012 - 2013
He's [Dr. Shahab Minassian] a little quirky but a pleasure to deal with. He was able to quickly diagnose me with a complication that was completely missed by my previous doctor. He answered all of my questions patiently and made sure I was comfortable before we moved on...I had two surgeries to remove blockages. When I conceived my daughter I had taken daily shots and was inseminated with IUI...I had no concerns. The staff was friendly and helpful. Wait times were usually not very long. I would use them again in a heartbeat.
2012 - 2013
He's a little quirky but a pleasure to deal with. He was able to quickly diagnose me with a complication that was completely missed by my previous doctor. He answered all of my questions patiently and made sure I was comfortable before we moved on.
Ask questions!
Describe your experience with RHPN Women's Clinic and IVF-Fertility.
The costs were high because my insurance covered nothing.