Medical SchoolCentral U.
Glendale
240 S. Jackson St.
Glendale, CA 91206
818-839-5764
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shahin Ghadir to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Southern California Reproductive Center to a friend?
Dr. Ghadir is a very friendly and encouraging fertility specialist that is realistic at the same time. He doesn't waste my time with treatments that may or may not work and suggests to go the route with the best possible outcome. I have not noticed any weaknesses up to this point...I feel like a human, because Dr. Ghadir and his team are the first ones to actually listen to me and my concerns. They ask me if i have questions and if i do, they take the time to answer them.
How was your experience with Shahin Ghadir at Southern California Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shahin Ghadir at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Call the clinic before you schedule an appointment, ask for Ari and ask all questions you have. She may or may not have the answers, but the more answers you get before your consultation, the more time you have to understand the details the Dr. will be providing you with. Due to the location, leave a bit earlier than usual, the roads can be very congested and you may not find parking right away. You don't want to be late, but if you are, call into the office and let them know. They are very understanding. IVF is expensive, so make sure you ask about alternative possibilities that the Dr. can help you with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shahin Ghadir at Southern California Reproductive Center?
I feel like a human, because Dr. Ghadir and his team are the first ones to actually listen to me and my concerns. They ask me if i have questions and if i do, they take the time to answer them. I have never received any fertility medication in eight years. I gave up when doctors simply just told me i couldn't get pregnant and Dr. Ghadir told me there is no way that anyone could predict that type of outcome without doing several tests. We have just started with Dr. Ghadir, so we haven't done any meds or anything yet, but when i met them in person, i actually, for the first time in 8 years, felt hopeful that we could have a child in the future and if it's in my cards, i will be a loyal patient to him and his team until the end.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Ari and Maria)
The care coordinator takes all the time she has to make you feel comfortable. The only thing i was not happy about was the fact that i tried to get a hold of her one time and didn't get a call back until almost a week later, but when she explained that she fell behind with calling patients back, because she was unable to answer the phone as she was helping patients in person, i definitely understood. She is super nice and caring and you don't feel like just another person that cannot afford IVF. She really cares about you, your journey and your feelings. If you ever have trouble reaching her, write her an e-mail instead, she will be more available through that outlet. If you have issues at all with the communication, i found that approaching it was the best thing i could have done. Getting those awkward assumptions right out of the way. Maria, the nurse is also very nice, but i have not had as much contact with her just yet. She always responds to e-mails promptly and if she is near the phone she answers it quickly. I am actually excited to go the route with them, because i feel well taken care of.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
I haven't been there often yet, but i like how friendly it is and you feel very comfortable there, even in the waiting area and you don't wait a long time until you see your Dr. Its also very clean and you don't feel like you have to worry about catching anything in their bathrooms, either
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shahin Ghadir at Southern California Reproductive Center.
Because we need authorizations before any and all services, we weren't able to do many tests, but we were able to do genetic testing and they made sure that our insurance was going to cover it before they did anything. They explained to us what cost was going to be expected and then sent a bill in the mail that we paid off very easily right away. It was $30 for drawing blood.
Santa Barbara
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Be prepared for him [Dr Ghadir] to want to do the maximum number of medicated IUI cycles...During Clomid/IUI cycles I would only see Dr. Ghadir for the IUI, assuming he was in the office that day. I twice had other doctors do the IUI. Once I moved to IVF I saw him a lot more. He did the retrieval surgery and 2 of the 3 transfers. Since becoming pregnant I have seen him every week. I would usually only hear from him on the phone for the results of betas.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Be prepared for him to want to do the maximum number of medicated IUI cycles.
I was always greeted by name, even when I hadn't started signing in. The nurses I worked with were always very kind and helpful, even when I asked potentially silly questions.
Describe the protocols Shahin Ghadir used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
For the first medicated cycle I was put on 100 mg of Clomid. When that only produced one mature follicle I was placed on 150 mg of Clomid for the other 5 cycles I did. I usually grew 2-3 mature follicles before triggering. Once I moved to IVF I was put on Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide. I started at a higher dose, and after my first monitoring appointment had the meds reduced to avoid OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Maria and Ludi)
Maria and Ludi are the two main nurses I worked with. Both we wonderful. They were very helpful any time I had questions. They were also good about emailing back the same day if I emailed them before 4pm.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The nice thing about SCRC is there are 5 doctors in the office, so there is always at least one there for IUIs and transfers. The front desk staff is amazing and always kind. If you go between about 9-11:30 it is going to be busy, and you can expect to wait anywhere from 15-45 minutes before being called back.
Ultrasounds are $220, Blood work varies depending on what you have tested. IUI was around $250 each time. A full IVF cycle was around $10,600, which included every appointment and blood draw once you started stim meds through the first beta. FETs are about $2600, which included every appointment and blood draw once you started meds through the first beta.
2013 - 2014
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr Shahin Ghadir] listened and asked questions. Not long after we our consultation, he ordered lab work. Each time results came back, he personally called either myself or my husband to reveal the results. Oftentimes these phone calls were in the early evening hours. I appreciated his direct contact with us. My condition required me to have a hysteroscopy to remove uterine polyps. Dr. Ghadir came to see me both before and after performing the surgery. During my actual IVF cycle, I dealt mostly with the office staff. He did perform the retrieval and transfer. During these times his was quick and efficient. Dr. Ghadir called me to reveal my positive pre
2013 - 2014
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
During our initial consultation, Dr. Ghadir was running late but very apologetic. He listened and asked questions. Not long after we our consultation, he ordered lab work. Each time results came back, he personally called either myself or my husband to reveal the results. Oftentimes these phone calls were in the early evening hours. I appreciated his direct contact with us. My condition required me to have a hysteroscopy to remove uterine polyps. Dr. Ghadir came to see me both before and after performing the surgery. During my actual IVF cycle, I dealt mostly with the office staff. He did perform the retrieval and transfer. During these times his was quick and efficient. Dr. Ghadir called me to reveal my positive pregnancy test results. During the post-treatments (he asked that I have weekly ultrasounds in his office for the first 10 weeks) he was present for each and discussed what he was on the ultrasounds.
Keep a notebook to jot down questions and information you receive in the office and over the phone. This is a very fast-paced office! While his office truly is organized and on top of things, the process can seem very chaotic. Also, look into financing before beginning the process. The company they refer you to for financing has astronomical interest rates. Which just adds one more stress to an already chaotic process.
I felt most like a human when dealing with Dr. Ghadir in person. Over the phone he seemed rushed and spoke very fast. Oftentimes when dealing with the office staff and nurses, I felt like a number. My encounters with them, both in-person and via phone, were all monotone and repetitious.
I took twice daily injections of Lupron, Menopur, and Follistem for a little under three weeks. After each ultrasound and blood draw a nurse would contact me to discuss modifications to dosages. If I recall correctly the only real changes were in the Menopur. The ultrasounds started at about 3-4 days apart and gradually became closer. The last week I was at the office on a daily basis. The day before retrieval I gave myself an injection (can't remember name) and it had to be given at an exact time of day. The nurse was very clear about the time frame I had for administration of this medication.
I dealt with my assigned nurse (and a few others when she was off) mostly over the phone after ultrasounds and blood draws. During the calls she gave me new dosage information. She never offered any insight into what was seen on the ultrasounds or asked how I was dealing with the effects of hormones. On occasion I had questions and would leave messages for the nursing staff. (It seemed the nurses were never available to answer the phones.) My phones calls were always returned.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Southern California Reproductive Center is a busy, busy place. (I would assume this has to do with the knowledge-base and experience of the doctors.) It seemed that everyone was effectively performing their job, but they forgot that I was new to the process. So sometimes I felt a little lost and would have appreciated if someone had taken the time to explain things more slowly and clearly. I was seen for appointments within 15 minutes of my assigned time and the medical staff was always efficient. The clerical staff was not as warm and inviting as I would have liked. I was often left to figure out things like where to go for blood draws or the location of the nearest restroom on my own. Billing was a bit chaotic, so be sure to check your invoices and statements. On-site parking was pricey and limited, but there is a drug store around the corner with a public parking lot which is much larger and economical.
One cycle of IVF was approximately $15,000 paid to Southern California Reproductive Center. The drugs were about $3500 paid to an outside pharmacy. All ultrasounds and blood work done from the first injection to the pregnancy test were included in the cycle. All other (pre- and post- IVF cycle) procedures were not included They offered a package for women under a certain age (can't remember exact age) for few thousand dollars more (can't remember the exact price) that ensured you another cycle should the first not result in pregnancy. Now the catch is that if you had a miscarriage after the first round of IVF, the second cycle was null and void.
2013
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
2013
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Ghadir has a warm demeanor and his confidence put me at ease. He is compassionate but very matter of the fact when it comes to discussing diagnosis and treatment options. He is highly knowledgeable and skilled in reproductive endocrinology and I did eventually get pregnant under his care. However, he was unable to complete an out of pocket hysterscopic surgery at his clinic to remove my polyp which set me back a month to begin IVF while I waited to have the surgery repeated at a hospital operating room under my health insurance plan with a regular OB who was able to complete the surgery with no issues.
Don't let your impatience to get pregnant let you make hasty decisions. I threw money away on a surgery my insurance covered because SCRC could get me at an earlier date only for the surgery to not go as planned.
Dr. Ghadir treated me with compassion, listened to me, and took my concerns seriously. Before getting a referral to see him, I had been dismissed by multiple OBs over the length of time I had unsuccessfully been trying to conceive as well as suffering with prolonged heavy periods. My consultation with Dr. Ghadir was like a breath of fresh air and on my 2nd visit, he found the cause of my heavy periods which was a large polyp in my uterine cavity as well as discovering both my tubes were blocked at the ends by my ovaries.
IVF #1 Long Lupron protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur. I had an easy textbook cycle. 21 eggs retrieved and great fertilization rate, but by day 5 transfer day only 3 embryos had survived due to unanticipated low egg quality. Two were transferred but the cycle failed. IVF #2 Long Lupron protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur with the addition of Human Growth Hormone to give the embryos a boost. Another easy textbook cycle with 20 eggs retrieved and great fertilization rate. This time 6 embryos made it to day 5. Two were transfer using assisted hatching, and I got pregnant with a singleton.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
Maria is an angel. She is extremely compassionate and patient as I called with tons of questions on a weekly and sometimes daily basis.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
The front office staff is courteous and always remembered my name. My calls were always returned the same day, and if an emergency came up in the middle of the night, someone was always available or my doctor could be paged. The ultrasound and lab techs were very friendly which is nice when you're in almost daily. The office itself is very inviting and cozy. One downfall would be lack of available street parking on week days and the expense using the clinic's parking garage. But on the plus side, it's a one stop shop for all your needs from doctor consultations to surgery center, and there's even a specialty pharmacy across the street if you need to quickly refill a medication.
Total costs including testing, two fresh IVF cycles with monitoring, and medications were around $40,000.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Dr Ghadir has a nice manner to him and seems really to care about his patients (without being too stiff or formal). He is very professional as well. He was thorough in his explanation of the process and attentive to all of our questions...Working with Dr Ghadir is great. The only downsides are the administrative features of SCRC -- phone calls not getting returned, billing not being transparent.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
SCRC feels a bit like a factory. Often times I would call and get transferred around not being able to speak to a live human. The "third party coordinators" were a mixed bag -- some were very friendly and helpful, others came across as less enthusiastic and didn't follow up appropriately. I also felt the billing system lacked transparency -- expect to get credit card charges but with no accompanying statements. Felt a bit like a money making machine.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Third Party Coordinator)
They have a third-party coordinator system. You email a mailbox or leave a message and usually within 24 hours someone will get back to you. Often the person who gets back to you is different from the one you spoke to before. I wish there would have been some consistency here.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Strengths: Modern facility, very clean and bright Downside: It's so big that you feel like a number (or a bank account) when you're there.
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Dr. Ghadir understands the stress of the journey. He is quick to make one feel calm and safe. ...he never made us feel like we didn't belong. We are two gay Dads. And, that was never an issue. I like how he told us, he enjoyed working with LGBT families...He was amazing. He never rushed us. He took time to explain, everything. He looked us in the eye. And, he was very positive. He never left an email unanswered. He never failed to return a call. He made us feel like we were the most important people at his work.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Dr. Ghadir understands the stress of the journey. He is quick to make one feel calm and safe. It isn't easy, what he does. Yet, he never made us feel like we didn't belong. We are two gay Dads. And, that was never an issue. I like how he told us, he enjoyed working with LGBT families. We loved our experience.
Go. Don't hesitate. Dr. Ghadir is amazing. He will be the best thing about your journey. We feel so fortunate to have had Dr. Ghadir as our doctor.
We had weekly (sometimes daily) emails about progress. They literally held our hand, every step of the way.
Beautiful. Wonderful. Caring. Loving. Everything, a nurse should be.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Expensive. Not cheap. But, with what you're doing, do you really want to go with the lowest priced clinic? I'd say no.
Not sure exactly how much, but around $25,000 - $35,000.
Describe Shahin Ghadir's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
We transferred two embryos. Never an issue. And, now, we have twin boys.
2013 - 2016
7 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Ghadir did a really good job of engaging with me and making me feel heard. He spent a good deal of time explaining things in a manner in which I'd understand...In general, I found Dr. Ghadir to be professional, caring, gentle and with a great bedside manner...With any doctor, not just Ghadir, don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions, it's your body and it's important that you know (and understand) what's happening. Ghadir was always great about answering my questions and not rushing me...
2013 - 2016
7 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
In general, I found Dr. Ghadir to be professional, caring, gentle and with a great bedside manner. His nursing staff and the front office staff at SCRC are incredible. They're helpful, kind and always available to help.
Dr. Ghadir did a really good job of engaging with me and making me feel heard. He spent a good deal of time explaining things in a manner in which I'd understand. .
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
D. Ghadir is very intelligent and compassionate...had empathy and was always available to answer questions...The nursing staff [at Southern California Reproductive Center] often needed reminders to call me back even if I had already called and asked for a call back...The clinics strength is the reputation of their doctors and advanced technology...IVF was 20,000
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
D. Ghadir is very intelligent and compassionate.
Be your own advocate and ask lots of questions.
Dr. Ghadir had empathy and was always available to answer questions.
IVF was a standard IVF protocol for my age.
The nursing staff often needed reminders to call me back even if I had already called and asked for a call back.
IVF was 20,000
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?