7.2

300 Beardsley Ln
Austin, TX 78746
512.444.1414

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr K was not at all interested in diagnostics. I was immediately immersed into treatment with fertility meds and IUI. He didn't see the need to dig deeper. I was just another patient...He also never asked to see my radiology scans of my HSG, if he had, he would have seen that I had a uterine septum that needed to be surgically removed. That is what my current Doctor did during my first consult. She also found a polyp in my uterus as well...
Only two [Austin Fert Repro Med - W'lake] locations - south side of Austin and Westlake. Not convenient locations at all! The south side clinic is very small and run down. The west lake one is fairly newer but still not that impressive. We had to travel to the Westlake office for our IUI procedures...I mostly dealt with [nurse] Kate with my IUI and ultrasounds. She was great up until they denied me a cycle and then she looked at me like I was crazy for asking if we could go ahead with our cycle despite the fact we had 5 follicles. No compassion or understanding...
How was your experience with Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Not only was I just another patient, he also denied me an IUI cycle because I produced too many eggs. I understand the risks associated but he sat me down and had the most inauthentic conversation with me. He obviously didn't truly understand what I was feeling and just cared about the risks it posed for him not me. He also never asked to see my radiology scans of my HSG, if he had, he would have seen that I had a uterine septum that needed to be surgically removed. That is what my current Doctor did during my first consult. She also found a polyp in my uterus as well. She believes one if not both of these could be causing our fertility issues. IUI wasn't going to work and IVF probably wouldn't have either with these issues and I would have continued to pay DR K with no chance of conception.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Expect to be treated as a number. Just another patient treated the same way. He won't be interested in digging deeper.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Shahryar K. Kavoussi used in your cycles at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
5 mg of Femara- produced too many eggs 4-5 follicles Down to half 2.5 mg of Femara- still produced 3 follicles. Ovidrel with both cycles No pregnancies
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I mostly dealt with Kate with my IUI and ultrasounds. She was great up until they denied me a cycle and then she looked at me like I was crazy for asking if we could go ahead with our cycle despite the fact we had 5 follicles. No compassion or understanding.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Only two locations- south side of Austin and Westlake. Not convenient locations at all! The south side clinic is very small and run down. The west lake one is fairly newer but still not that impressive. We had to travel to the Westlake office for our IUI procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shahryar K. Kavoussi at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered nothing so we paid out of pocket for everything. I believe we paid about $565 for IUI and then $100 for Ovidrel and $5 for Femara. His consult fee was about $150
Shahryar K. Kavoussi
Austin Westlake

Dr. Kavoussi had great bedside manner, however, after two failed cycles, was reluctant to make any significant changes to protocol in order to hopefully achieve successful results. When inquiring about further testing, he was not open to such and encouraged to continue the same protocol and hope for success....Dr. Kavoussi had great bedside manner, however, the administrative staff and financial staff [at Austin Fertility] were unprofessional.
Financial payment [at Austin Fert] is due in full prior to beginning a cycle( prior to initiation of birth control). Pricing is in the form of "packages" and portions of unused packages will not be refunded under ANY circumstance. If your cycle is cancelled, or converted to an FET, you will not receive a refund or credit for the unused portions of treatment. You will be expected to pay the full amount of both cycles. Debra, the financial coordinator is unorganized, and takes an unacceptable amount of time to respond to concerns, or provide requested information. There is a high turnover rate among clinical support staff. Wait times are often lengthy. Overall, doctors are compassionate in their work, however the practice is lacking...
Dr. Kavoussi had great bedside manner, however, after two failed cycles, was reluctant to make any significant changes to protocol in order to hopefully achieve successful results. When inquiring about further testing, he was not open to such and encouraged to continue the same protocol and hope for success. If you're lucky to have IVF be successful on a first cycle, you will be in good hands here. However, if you'd like to maximize your chance for success and decrease the amount of money, and emotional and physical stress, I'd suggest to go elsewhere.
Be prepared for a lengthy amount of time and multiple treatment cycles to hopefully achieve a successful pregnancy.
Dr. Kavoussi had great bedside manner, however, the administrative staff and financial staff were unprofessional.
Gonal F and Menopur were the gold standard for stim medications. Standard dosage was 225IU OF Gonal F and 75IU of Menopur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate Odenwald )
Clinic was very busy. Kate did most times reply to concerns and emails in a time efficient manner.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Financial payment is due in full prior to beginning a cycle( prior to initiation of birth control). Pricing is in the form of "packages" and portions of unused packages will not be refunded under ANY circumstance. If your cycle is cancelled, or converted to an FET, you will not receive a refund or credit for the unused portions of treatment. You will be expected to pay the full amount of both cycles. Debra, the financial coordinator is unorganized, and takes an unacceptable amount of time to respond to concerns, or provide requested information. There is a high turnover rate among clinical support staff. Wait times are often lengthy. Overall, doctors are compassionate in their work, however the practice is lacking, and a poor rate of success should be noted while researching clinics. I would recommend another facility, and have since obtained a second opinion with another Reproductive Endocrinologist.
Clinical fee: $3,990 IVF Lab fee: $5,850 Total IVF cycle fee: $9,840 Embryo cryopreservation: $775 Additional charges: ICSI (</=10 eggs): $1,300 ICSI (>10 eggs): $1,800 TESE: $1,600 SIS: $500 Costs due not include medication costs, which can be $3,000-$6,000 depending on protocol. Blood tests are additional charges, sometimes covered by insurance. FET Cycle: Clinical Fee: $1,490 West lake IVF Lab fee: $1,890 Total fees: $3,380 Consults and prenatal sonograms are not included in above costs.
Describe Shahryar K. Kavoussi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Kavoussi recommended transferring 2 blastocysts. We were in agreement with this plan, however neither resulted in a positive pregnancy test.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Shahryar K. Kavoussi