Medical SchoolSt. Georges
Irvine, CA 92618
Torrance
720 Lomita Blvd
Torrance, CA 90505
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shala Salem to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Reproductive Center to a friend?
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Outside of my obgyn this was the first Experience with a RE. Dr. Salem was always in a rush she never had time to explain treatment and get to know me and my goals for a family. Dr. Salem was unorganized and late to several appointments. She never gave me any alternative options such as donor eggs or fully explained why my fertility was compromised. Or wasn’t until I started to research independently that I discovered what DOR was and that donor eggs may be the best choice. After I asked for Donor egg information, I was told that someone would contact me. No one ever bothered to follow up. After locating another clinic to help me with DEIVF, Dr Salem’s office refused to mail over my medical records in a timely matter. This caused me to redo some tests that could have been avoided. Horrible experience
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Research your situation, ask lots of questions and get several opinions from other doctors. Compare potential protocols
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Went to clinic for over a year. Still didn’t know my name
Describe the protocols Shala Salem used in your cycles at Pacific Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
She put me on low medication the first round that yielded better results. This included clomid and limited injectables. The 2nd round she pumped me with more medication that ended in failure
I was not happy with the coordinator Leslie. We had a mix up that cause me to be short with my medication during my first round. She acknowledged that this was her mistake however it causes tonyhe stress of the procedure
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The clinic is nice and well maintained. The clinic is busy and as a result can seem unorganized. The waiting room is inviting and quite, its tucked away in a business area right off the freeway. The clinic is easy to see and commute to
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center.
Normal prices about $15k for 2 package cycle and $250 per ultrasound $500 anesthesia
Describe Shala Salem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Reproductive Center.
I obvulated early while waiting for egg retrieval procedure. Due to medication mix up
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Reproductive Center?
2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
I went through each question in my notebook and she [Dr Shala Salem] answered them all. I have done a fresh cycle/transfer, FET and two more fresh cycle/transfers with PRC. Dr. Salem was involved in all but one (she was on maternity leave). I always felt she cared about us, she wanted me to understand the process, she wanted to figure out how to help us. She is kind, knowledgable, always available for questions and very compassionate. As a result of my cycles I have a 21 month old son and am currently expecting twin girls.
2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
When we first met Dr Salem to discuss our struggles trying to conceive over the last year, she discussed with us what testing we could do and that from there we could discuss options. At that time I had no clue I would need IVF so I told her we did not want to do that, she was fine with our choices. When she called to give me the diagnosis of hydrosalpinx of both tubes, I was devasted and sobbing. She talked with me and never brought up IVF because at our consult we said we didn't want to do it. We chose to go forward with IVF because we knew it was our chance at children together which we so wanted. We met with her and she was kind, I had a notebook full of questions she talked to us about all the options for our IVF cycle. We decided what procedures we wanted to include (ICSI, AH & PGS). I went through each question in my notebook and she answered them all. I have done a fresh cycle/transfer, FET and two more fresh cycle/transfers with PRC. Dr. Salem was involved in all but one (she was on maternity leave). I always felt she cared about us, she wanted me to understand the process, she wanted to figure out how to help us. She is kind, knowledgable, always available for questions and very compassionate. As a result of my cycles I have a 21 month old son and am currently expecting twin girls.
Don't be afraid to ask her questions and trust that she has your best interest at heart. She really cares about her patients.
Dr Salem from day 1 of meeting her and every single appointment with her always took her time with us. She answered any and all questions we had during the process. She explained all procedures they would be doing. She never made me feel like she didn't have time to talk to me or that any of my concerns or fears were invalid. She never pushed us to do anything we didn't want to do.
All of my fresh cycles have been the Long Lupron Protocol with Follistim & Menopur and then trigger with Pregnyl (HCG). All of my fresh cycle we have done AH, ICSI and PGS testing with a fresh day 5 transfer of 2 embryos. My first IVF cycle worked and I got pregnant with my son in 2013, he was born 2014. In 2015 we did an FET with embryos from the 2013 cycle and had a CP. Prior to start of FET we did a hysteroscopy which showed uterus was clear from scarring and polyps. We then did a fresh cycle after which also resulted in a CP. We added Cabergoline this cycle to reduce risk of OHSS because I'm a high reposnder and e2 tends to get a bit high. For the next fresh cycle we did an RPL panel and checked NK cells, the results came back pretty normal except Vitamin D slightly low so I started a D3 supplement. We also repeated hysteroscopy and did endo scratch. Hysteroscopy revealed a polyp and scar tissue which was removed. During the stim cycle we added Heparin until 12 weeks gestation and intralipid infusions during stims, at embryo transfer and after positive pregnancy confirmed with 2 beta HCG blood tests. This cycle and these changes resulted in twin girls which are due October 2016.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Leslie )
Leslie & Amy are both primary nurses which would oversee my different cycles. Both of them are amazing, they always got me my calendar for cycle fast and answered any questions I had. They were very compassionate with my losses and kept telling me they had hope and knew it would work. They were more optimistic than I could find the strength to be. They understand my fears and were supportive. They never tried to answer questions or give advice which was out of their scope of knowledge which I appreciated. There are other nurses at both facilities who helped with procedures, taking blood work and they also were very personal and invested in our success. They always talked with me, made sure I was told what was going to be done and made sure I was comfortable with what we were doing.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The strengths of this clinic is everyone on staff is very compassionate, great at communicating and invested in the patients which is vital with this type of medical care. They have top of the line embryologist, nurses and doctors. They perform PGS in their lab so a fresh transfer is an option. Only weakness would be for most appointment you have to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours (only once this long happened). I really believe the wait is because they have a lot of patients and they take their time with each patient.
Our FET cost about $7000 including all medication. The fresh cycles ranged from $20,000-$25,000 which included all procedures, office visits, monitoring, medication, ICSI, AH & PGS testing.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
I feel like she [Dr. Salem] wanted to go to IVF right away and I didn’t understand why. I’m a nurse and I felt like it was a money game. I wanted to start with clomid first and then go from there. She said she didn’t recommend it with no real explanation....she says IVF is best. I did have the procedure to remove the polyps....when I reviewed it with the doctor, she said I didn’t have enough. So there is miscommunication
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
I feel like she wanted to go to IVF right away and I didn’t understand why. I’m a nurse and I felt like it was a money game. I wanted to start with clomid first and then go from there. She said she didn’t recommend it with no real explanation.
Get a second opinion
I feel like she wanted to go straight to IVF. I wanted to try clomid first and go from there. But she says IVF is best. I did have the procedure to remove the polyps. So I’m hoping it will help now if I can be so lucky to have a grant! Secondary infertility is the worst. I have so much guilt that my daughter will have no one.
I feel like we got no where. The last tho g I did was do the hsg which showed a filling defect. Then I did have polyps removed. And never went back sense.
I had a good experience with the nursing staff. They were very nice.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The weakness is when I was having my ultrasound sound done to see how many eggs I had. I recall the lady saying I had a lot. Then when I reviewed it with the doctor, she said I didn’t have enough. So there is miscommunication
I don’t remember but I paid 1300 to have my polyps removed. And 150 to test my husband.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Clomid/IUI [cycle with Dr. Salem] - but it got cancelled because I ovulated too soon [Another] Clomid/IUI - but it also got cancelled and i was told to just TTC on the clomid Saline Ultrasound...I was talked to respectfully and given information I could understand. I never felt like I was just a number or rushed...She was nice but I did feel like IVF was the way she wanted to go even when I wanted to try IUI and clomid first. She was a good doctor though and understanding. I did value her opinion and what she was telling me.. it just felt like she always wanted me to do more.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Definitely go.. but also get a second opinion.
Clomid/IUI - but it got cancelled because I ovulated too soon Clomid/IUI - but it also got cancelled and i was told to just TTC on the clomid Saline Ultrasound
They were extremely nice and showed compassion and care. I didn't interact too much with them.. from what I did, it was good.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
It is a beautiful office. I felt like they rushed me to IVF without giving me other options first. Although I eventually did do IVF, I went with a different clinic... so just know what you want when you go in ther.
IVF was going to be upwards of $20-30k (with PGS testing)
2010 - 2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Shala Salem] did not try to get to know my situation or even my name. The whole process with her felt ingenuine...She spent about half an hour on our first meeting going over my last IVF and results. She would come in to do my ultra sounds but only spent about 5 minutes doing that. No real conversation ever happen with her. The nurses did all the communicating with me. She would come in so the ultra sounds and then walk out.
2010 - 2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shala Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Be strong and demand her attention.
She did not try to get to know my situation or even my name. The whole process with her felt ingenuine.
I don’t remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
She was very attentive and kind
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
Strengths: big waiting room. Weakness: Receptionist was not the kindness person. Not always someone at the front desk. Building was nice and clean. The nurses station was clean and in a separate room.
$12500