Medical SchoolU. of Oklahoma
FellowshipU. of Alabama
115 E. 15th Street
Tulsa, OK 74119
918.359.2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shauna McKinney to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Tulsa Fertility Center to a friend?
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr McKinney never rushed our appointments and she answered every question in a manner we were able to understand. She provided information on all options and allowed us to choose the one that made the most sense for our family. I was afraid we would be required to do several rounds of IUIs before we would be allowed to explore IVF, but due to our diagnosis, we were able to pursue IVF in the beginning. We spent seven months from our earliest blood test to the frozen embryo transfer - making the process much quicker than we had anticipated.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr McKinney is the most intelligent human being I have ever met and her attention to detail was excellent. She never promised success, just that she would do everything within her power to ensure the highest chance of success which made us feel like we were more than numbers or dollar signs. Dr McKinney held my hand and hugged me when I cried at my appointments and she explained everything in a way that was not overwhelming. No one wants to walk through the doors at her clinic, but since we had to be there I am so glad we had her to be our guide through the infertility journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Write ALL of your questions down and ask every single one of them. So your research beforehand and be your own advocate. If you do not want to do certain things, be vocal. The doctor cannot read your mind. We knew we wanted to give ourselves the best chance of a successful pregnancy and live birth, regardless of costs and we expressed that in the beginning.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Shauna McKinney used in your cycles at Tulsa Fertility Center and their degree of success.
10-12 days of stims: Follistim (50-250u) and Ganirelix (3-5 days) Follistim to stimulate the ovaries and produce eggs. Ganirelix to slow the maturation and allow the smaller follicles to catch up to the larger ones. Trigger shot of Ovidrel. FET: Birth control for one month before transfer. Approx 30 days of Lupron to suppress reproductive system. Estrogen patches, 1-4 changed every other day, to thicken lining during weeks before FET and through week 10 of pregnancy. Progesterone in oil 5 days before FET and through week 9 of pregnancy because the pregnancy was unnatural and the placenta had not taken over production.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nicole and Amanda)
The nurses were always accommodating at appointments and always passed along any questions or concerns to my doctor. The patient portal allowed me to communicate with the nurses on an as-needed basis and that convenient feature helped ease my mind when I had a question but wasn't sure to whom it should be directed.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
I was overwhelmed by the amount of medical history that was requested BEFORE my initial consultation. I had no idea why they would need all of that two weeks before my appointment, but I learned after meeting the staff that they want to study and prepare so that the best form of treatment is presented for the couple's specific needs. The staff reviewed our history and were able to discuss health concerns from the beginning.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center.
Egg retrieval cycle and most tests associated with cycle $13,000-$14,500 Egg retrieval medication: $7,500 FET procedure: $5,000 FET meds: $2,500
Describe Shauna McKinney's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Tulsa Fertility Center.
TFC has ethical and moral basis for transferring no more than two embryos during a cycle because excessive multiples not only endangers the lives of the fetuses, the mother's safety is severely jeopardized. For those seeking treatment, not in the advanced maternal age bracket, one to two embryos may be transferred.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
We underwent several IUIs, a cancelled IVF, and a failed IVF before Dr. McKinney happened to mention that in addition to advanced maternal age and low AMH (which was normal before the two-month delay we experienced after starting with TFC), we also had a problem on the male side...We worked with Dr. McKinney for over a year, and throughout the entire process, were provided nothing but incomplete information and frustration.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
We underwent several IUIs, a cancelled IVF, and a failed IVF before Dr. McKinney happened to mention that in addition to advanced maternal age and low AMH (which was normal before the two-month delay we experienced after starting with TFC), we also had a problem on the male side. His test results indicated that he was on the very low end of the range for a particular number (but in the “normal” range according to the report we have), and we were never told that it was a problem until our post-failed-IVF appointment. Dr. McKinney couldn’t believe that she never mentioned it, and just stated, “Well, that’s why we were doing ICSI,” but did not express any sympathy as to why were upset that we weren’t told specifically prior to that point.
Don't go here unless you like to feel like a statistic.
I used the Ganirelix protcol with Follistim to stimulate ovarian production. My first attempt only produced 3 eggs, so she adjusted the next round to increase the dosage. I never felt that the doctor was able to manipulate her decisions or set expectations based on my specific situation.
At our initial visit, we were instructed to complete our lab work and then we’d be able to schedule our treatment. After not hearing back for two weeks, the nurse asked me to schedule a follow-up visit, which we had been told we didn’t need to do. In addition, I was assured that all of our previous records had been received, but in this two-week-later communication, was told that in fact, not all of the records were received. TFC was missing my most recent pap smear and my boyfriend’s test results. You would think that it would be simple for one professional to be in contact with another to ensure that all these records had been received. Instead, I wasn’t notified until two weeks after-the-fact, after being told that everything had been received, that they were missing my Pap smear result. In all, it took 6 weeks and at least 10-20 phone calls on my part to get that last little bit of information transferred, which of course, delayed our treatment for two months. It’s entirely possible that these were my last fertile months; my bloodwork afterward showed a decreased hormone level. I underwent many IUIs and two IVFs without any significant pain, so I’m not a wimp. However, there was one procedure after which I experienced such extreme cramping, I had tears in my eyes and could barely stand up. I hobbled out of my exam room and asked if they had any Tylenol or Advil, and not one person looked up from their computer or offered to help me up front.
First round was covered by insurance, 2nd was about $15,000 (Including meds) because we had reached our insurance max.
Tulsa
She [Dr. McKinney] is very friendly and personable for the most part. I had one experience that kind of left me feeling disappointed with her. At my final ultrasound before trigger, 15 follicles were counted, however; only 8 were retrieved at my retrieval. When I asked why not more, she did explain that not all were mature but then proceeded to tell me that she wouldn't come to my work and question how I did my job...No rationale was given to me, the patient, as to why certain medications were used instead of others.
Latino, Other
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
She doesn't spend much time in the room after the 'important' stuff was done. If you have questions be sure to have them ready and start talking as soon as she gets done. Nothing is explained as to what exactly she is looking for at the baseline/miscycle ultrasounds. She is very friendly and personable for the most part. I had one experience that kind of left me feeling disappointed with her. At my final ultrasound before trigger, 15 follicles were counted, however; only 8 were retrieved at my retrieval. When I asked why not more, she did explain that not all were mature but then proceeded to tell me that she wouldn't come to my work and question how I did my job. I was a little taken aback, but as I was still affected by the anesthesia, I didn't say anything more. I really like her overall but that one comment just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Have your questions written down and don't be afraid to speak up.
She was very empathetic, having gone through infertility herself. She said understood exactly what we were going through.
No rationale was given to me, the patient, as to why certain medications were used instead of others. Overlapped BC and 10ui Lupron for 4 days then only 10ui Lupron for 7 days. Lowered to 5ui after that. Added in 200ui AM and 150ui PM Folistim and Dexamethosone for 9 days. Trigger at 11pm on day 10. Retrieval in day 12. Started Doxycycline and Medrol for 5 days. I had 15 follicles, 8 eggs, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 1 made it to day 5 transfer. Waiting now for beta.
Very sweet.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Patient education needs to be improved greatly. All the info they give you is electronic so you can't really ask questions if you're not sure about something.
10,740 for the basic IVF with ICSI 4,500 for meds 895 for trial transfer/SIS And probably 2000 more for the Ovarian Reserve test and others test/appts.
We didn't have the option of transferring more than one as only one made it to day 5.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
We've gone through 4 IUI cycles [with Dr. McKinney] in which we used follistim and ovidrel. After the 4th, we decided to move on to IVF with ICSI (to help with male factor infertility, low motility) using Follistim...Our first cycle was cancelled due to a cyst. We made it to retrieval during the second cycle but weren't able to transfer after PGS testing deemed the remaining embryos weren't of a good quality. After undergoing 2 surgeries (one to drain a cyst by my gynecologist and one to remove it by Dr. McKinney and her partner Dr. Prough) we started our 2nd official IVF cycle in late March.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. McKinney is very personable. She's very candid with you and relates to you as a patient. I've always felt valued as a patient and that she's looking out for my best interest to help us start a family.
Know that she will be very candid and doesn't sugar coat the information she's telling you.
She relates to what we're going through and really listens to and answers all questions we have no matter how long it takes.
We've gone through 4 IUI cycles in which we used follistim and ovidrel. After the 4th, we decided to move on to IVF with ICSI (to help with male factor infertility, low motility) using Follistim. Our first cycle was cancelled due to a cyst. We made it to retrieval during the second cycle but weren't able to transfer after PGS testing deemed the remaining embryos weren't of a good quality. After undergoing 2 surgeries (one to drain a cyst by my gynecologist and one to remove it by Dr. McKinney and her partner Dr. Prough) we started our 2nd official IVF cycle in late March. I'm currently on Lupron and Dexamethasone and stimming with follistim. We found out today during a mid-cycle US that we will still retrieve but have to wait to transfer due to issues with my lining. I'll continue to go this week until they are ready to retrieve my eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Johnson)
They have all been so kind and understanding. I found out today that most of the employees in the office have gone through fertility treatments of some sort. That means a lot to me because it means they really understand the process.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
It is very organized. I've been in and out quickly which is important to me because we travel 2 hours one way for appointments. Even though it's a quick process, I've NEVER felt rushed. They always take time to answer any questions we have.
We've paid close to $20,000 for all treatments and medications.
Tulsa
Dr. McKinney always had a smile on her face and always welcomed me with a warm hug... I never felt like any question was to small and she always reassured me every step of the way. There were only a few appointments I didn't see her. And only for small stuff like blood draining and sonograms. Every big appointment she was there and sat and listened and answered every question....Dr. McKinney showed she really cared about us during treatment. She always listened to our concerns and talked us through the process the entire time.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr. McKinney always had a smile on her face and always welcomed me with a warm hug! She was super sweet and super helpful during the entire process. I never felt like any question was to small and she always reassured me every step of the way. There were only a few appointments I didn't see her. And only for small stuff like blood draining and sonograms. Every big appointment she was there and sat and listened and answered every question. I still feel like I can call her for any questions or concerns.
Ask all the questions you want no matter how silly you think they are. She will answer each one and reassure you there is no silly questions.
My body responded very good to the treatment Dr. McKinney wrote up. I started out taking birth control and after a month I started Lupron injections to help suppress my system. After a week or so of that injection we added Gonel-f. I would take an injection in the morning and in the evening. I stemmed for 11 days. At that time I was told I could use the trigger shot. My body responded great. I went in for egg reieval and they collected 16 eggs. Out of the 16, 11 were mature and 7 fertilized. We did a 5 day transfer of two embryos. Unfortunately we miscarried a few weeks later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nichole)
Nichole was amazing. Always greeted us with a smile and would help us with any questions we had.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
Strengths-everyone was super sweet and supportive. They always greet you with a smile. I feel like they personalized your experience. They got to really know us and our situation. Which to me was nice. I didn't feel like I had to keep repeating myself everytime I went in. They got us in very quickly for our first appointment. Went in for the first time in January and started treatment the next month when my cycle started. Weaknesses-I can't say I really have any.
We had amazing insurance so I just paid a co pay. But the medication if I didn't have insurance would have been between 5,000-8,000 depending on the treatment plan. I believe the ivf process would have been around 10,000-13,000.
Tulsa
I thought Dr.McKinney was up front, direct, and a realist, but also had compassion for my situation at the same time. I feel like she cares about me and my family even though we are one of thousands of patients she sees.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Ask questions because she'll take the time to answer them. Also make suggestions or ask if something should be considered. She will let you be your own advocate without making you feel crazy.
Dr. McKinney made me feel like I was her only patient while talking to me. She gave me individualized care and took my questions and suggestions seriously.
With DOR, I began on a mini ivf cycle and a birth control priming protocol. So, I took BCP, then Clomid for 10 days then gonal f on days 8, 10 and 12 with trigger on day 15 and retrieval on day 17. I am on an estrogen priming protocol with micro dose flare. I don't have my flow sheet yet.
I realize the nursing staff is busy, but sometimes I do feel like a number to them. They always answer my questions, but I feel like I'm annoying them at times. But they are friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
The front end of office isn't that organized. I had a very difficult time getting started because no one will answer the phone when you call and if you miss their return call you end up playing phone tag. But once you get on the schedule and past the intake coordinator, it's better.
For a mini ivf cycle, I paid about $11,000, including meds. For normal ivf, it's $18,000 with meds. These also include PGS testing.
We haven't discussed this yet.
2012 - 2015
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
2012 - 2015
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
I couldn't have expected any greater experience. Infertility is such an extremely hard and difficult thing to experience, but if any light has come from it, I have had an incredible doctor to treat me through it all. She is absolutely amazing, and I don't know if I could say enough about her. She has stayed for hours to answer all the many questions I have had. She has was been very informative and given me all the options that I have available. She is always optimistic, but yet never fails to inform me of the risks and reasonable outcomes. She is caring, considerate, kind, funny, and just an amazing individual who has been through infertility herself. I would highly recommend her to ANYONE who is needing fertility treatments.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. Knowing what you are going through and being educated about the whole realm of the situation can be very comforting.
I always felt like I was treated as an individual with my own infertility issues, and not just another patient. Everyone was always very sincere, caring, and helpful. When a doctor and nurse cry with you over a miscarriage, and even holds your hand until you fall asleep under anesthesia for your D&C, then you truly know that they deeply care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tulsa Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda, Kari)
Everyone makes you feel very comfortable when you are at their facility. Bed side manner has always been one of my top priorities, and the staff at TFC exceeds above and beyond.
Tulsa
Dr. McKinney was so great! She never sugar coated anything and was very thorough in her explanations of each step and what she was looking at and for with each sonogram. She gave us hope after a lot of disappointment and struggle. She not only cared, she really listened to us and didn’t ever rush during appointments. I would definitely go back to be treated by her, if we decide to try for another baby.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr McKinney was wonderful. She always made us feel comfortable and she was always very thorough. We loved how she always “kept it real” with us and never gave us false hope. She’s very personable and really cares about her patients.
Don’t wait any longer to go see her.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
It can get very busy in there, but they get you through very quickly. You’re never in the waiting room too long. Doctors and nurses are very friendly. The nurses were great, and helped me to feel relaxed when I would get nervous before each ultrasound.
Tulsa
Dr McKinney is warm,caring and knowledgable. She was willing to try various treatments but was unable to help us achieve a successful pregnancy...We immediately went to IVF with ICSI due to male factor infertility and PCOS. We did not initially test our embryos but we were unsuccessful with our first IVF cycle which included a fresh transfer of two embryos and two frozen transfers of two embryos each. We had two chemical pregnancies from our frozen transfers.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
Dr McKinney is extremely warm toward her patients. After many failed transfers she cried with us and seemed to take our failures personally.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
This clinic's biggest weakness I believe to be the lab. The embryologists seem to be knowledgable and well trained, but our embryos did not do as well in the lab in Tulsa as they did in our second clinic in Dallas.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Tulsa Fertility Center.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled between 8-10:00 am. The clinic tried to accommodate requests for earlier appointments.
Tulsa
I had a good experience. [with Dr Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center]. I like getting to the point and straight facts. She was fact driven and I think catered to what I needed in a physician. When I found out I was having twins and started crying she became the caring physician that I needed at that moment....She's works fast so have all your questions written out ahead of time....She knew we needed IVF/ICSI because of my husband's low semen count from the beginning. She had ruled me out as a reason for the infertility. She based the timing of the retrieval on the number of eggs and my lab values.
How was your experience with Shauna McKinney at Tulsa Fertility Center?
I had a good experience. I like getting to the point and straight facts. She was fact driven and I think catered to what I needed in a physician. When I found out I was having twins and started crying she became the caring physician that I needed at that moment.
She's works fast so have all your questions written out ahead of time.
She was very honest about our changes of a live birth.
There was one nurse that I saw the most. I really appreciated her compassion and interested in our success.
Describe your experience with Tulsa Fertility Center.
The clinic is very well run.
Around 10,000 - 12,000