Available by cell phone
Doctor personal cell phone
Medical SchoolWest Virginia U.
ResidencyU. of Utah
(208) 529-2019
5296 Commerce Dr.
Murray, UT 84107
Pleasant Grove
1446 W. Pleasant Grove Blvd.
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062
St. George
676 South Bluff
St. George, UT 84770
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shawn Gurtcheff to a friend?

5.5

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Utah Fertility Center to a friend?
2017 - 2019
Dr. Gurtcheff is very sensitive to my situation and needs as her patient. She is always caring and makes sure that I'm informed about what's going on and takes time to answer any questions I may have and to reassure me that even when I don't always see her (sometimes the nurses or NPs perform ultrasounds) she is always overseeing everything for my treatments and she is always informed and aware of what's going on. She is very compassionate, kind and respectful.
The clinic [Utah Fertility Center] overall is really great and cohesive. They do a great job at communicating between the nurses, Drs and other departments. Whenever I have a question I usually call the nurses and if it's something they don't know they ask Dr. Gurtcheff and get back to me right away. I moved out of state while working with UFC but have still done treatments with them and the nurses are very organized and great at following up with the out of state Drs that I've worked with. If I was supposed to go in and get an ultrasound or bloodwork and it wasn't faxed to them they call me that day and find out where I did it and they call the clinic to to get the results. Very organized and great at communicating within their clinic and while working with other clinics.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr. Gurtcheff is very understanding, compassionate and caring. As her patient I truly feel that she has my best interest at heart and she is doing her absolute best to find the treatments and procedures that will work for us. She is always willing to take time to answer my questions and to make sure that I'm well-informed. She shows compassion when the results didn't turn out like we expected and thoroughly talks me through our next options and her recommendations. I've never felt that she's pushed me into anything, she always gives me the info and the facts and I usually ask for her recommendation, which she gives, and then she leaves all decisions about treatment up to myself and my husband and she is willing to go whichever direction we want to go with treatment. She is very knowledgeable and she does a great job at explaining things to us. I moved out of state while still working with her and didn't want to change clinics because I've been very happy with Dr. Gurtcheff and we have frozen embryos at the clinic and she has been incredibly helpful with our move, making sure that we know our options and working with us over the phone to set up more treatments. She normally doesn't schedule transfers as far in advance as I needed one but I was trying to buy plane tickets to come back and I needed a date so she went ahead and scheduled the transfer a few months out, which was incredibly helpful to me! She is a sweet person that genuinely cares about her patients. I have felt very well taken care of with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Get ready for an emotional roller coaster. There are a lot of ups and downs with fertility treatment but Dr. Gurtcheff does her best to keep you well-informed and to help you expand your family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Shawn Gurtcheff used in your cycles at Utah Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I used Follistim, Ganirelix and Menopur in preparation for my egg retrieval and ended up stopping a day early because the ultrasound showed that I had a lot of follicles. We did the egg retrieval a day early and got 40 eggs, which was great. I was really bloated and my ovaries were huge from releasing so many eggs and I was at risk for OHSS so Dr. Gurtcheff told me to take it easy and eat a high protein, low am carb, low sugar diet and drink electrolytes and I never got OHSS. The bloating went down within a few days and I felt better. We did Progesterone in Oil injections and suppositories leading up to both Frozen Embryo Transfers and got a positive pregnancy test with both (one ending in a chemical pregnancy and one in a miscarriage at 9 weeks).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Utah Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Morgan Baker)
The nursing staff are very kind and really treat you with a lot of respect and dignity. Vaginal ultrasounds can be invasive and hard and I've always felt that the nursing staff are very considerate about the fact that it's an uncomfortable process and very respectful and allow you as much privacy as possible. Morgan Baker specifically is a great IVF coordinator and she is great at communicating via phone and email about test results, schedules, medications, etc. I always understood my IVF schedule very well and it was all laid out for me and easy to read, which I really appreciated! Morgan always takes the time to talk and go over the schedule as well, which is helpful!
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
The clinic overall is really great and cohesive. They do a great job at communicating between the nurses, Drs and other departments. Whenever I have a question I usually call the nurses and if it's something they don't know they ask Dr. Gurtcheff and get back to me right away. I moved out of state while working with UFC but have still done treatments with them and the nurses are very organized and great at following up with the out of state Drs that I've worked with. If I was supposed to go in and get an ultrasound or bloodwork and it wasn't faxed to them they call me that day and find out where I did it and they call the clinic to to get the results. Very organized and great at communicating within their clinic and while working with other clinics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center.
$1,000 per cycle of IUI. $12,000 for an Egg Retrieval/Fresh Embryo Transfer cycle. $3,000 per Frozen Embryo Transfer. $750 initial cost to freeze embryos and $250 per year after that.
Pleasant Grove

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center.

2019 - 2020
Dr. Gurtcheff used an antagonist protocol for my IVF...She ended my stims and triggered me a day early so I wouldn’t overstimulate. She was very careful that I was taking doses that were safe for me, and my health and well-being were more important to her than trying to get as many eggs as possible...While we didn’t see her often, she did perform my surgery, egg retrieval, and transfer. We always left every meeting we did have feeling more positive and hopeful than we did going in...She was very honest about the risks of multiple embryo transfer, was very logical about the risks outweighing the benefits, but she ultimately left the decision up to us.
The initial consultation is $230, each IUI cycle is $800-1200, the IVF cycle is $8,300, ICSI is 1500 [at Utah Fertility Center]...they are LGBT friendly, and they are very up to date on all current research. I always trusted what they were doing. The voicemail system and waiting for a call back from the clinical staff was confusing and frustrating at first. But once you figured things out, the processes were smooth...They [nurses] were generally very kind and competant. At the beginning, some of the nurses didn’t explain what was going on very well, so I had to learn on my own.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr. Gurtcheff was very compassionate, considerate of my time, honest, and warm during most of our interactions. While we didn’t see her often, she did perform my surgery, egg retrieval, and transfer. We always left every meeting we did have feeling more positive and hopeful than we did going in.
Be open-minded with the information she gives you and set realistic expectations as to what it will take to achieve a pregnancy.
She was very sympathetic, considerate of my time and efforts, encouraging, honest, warm
Dr. Gurtcheff used an antagonist protocol for my IVF, with Gonal F 150, Menopur 75, and Cetrotide. She ended my stims and triggered me a day early so I wouldn’t overstimulate. She was very careful that I was taking doses that were safe for me, and my health and well-being were more important to her than trying to get as many eggs as possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Utah Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mallory )
They were generally very kind and competant. At the beginning, some of the nurses didn’t explain what was going on very well, so I had to learn on my own.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
They are very large, experienced, and have great results. This is the best fertility clinic in Utah. They have female doctors, they are LGBT friendly, and they are very up to date on all current research. I always trusted what they were doing. The voicemail system and waiting for a call back from the clinical staff was confusing and frustrating at first. But once you figured things out, the processes were smooth.
The initial consultation is $230, each IUI cycle is $800-1200, the IVF cycle is $8,300, ICSI is 1500. Preservation of embryos is $655. Medications for IVF are around $3,000 without insurance.
Describe Shawn Gurtcheff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Utah Fertility Center.

2014 - 2019
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr G [Gurtcheff] was so kind and loving towards my family, she made things feel like priorities and urgent. She saw how hard it had all been on me and was the salve for our painful reality. ... I brought along all the information I could as well as treatments I did. Dr G started me on Metformin (750mg 2x a day) as well as clomid. ... We discussed my chances Of success with IUI. ... Dr. G suggested that we do frozen embryo transfer due to my diagnosis of PCOS. She explained why and we all agreed it was the best option.
The clinic [Utah Fertility Center] has many locations which is so convenient. I was seeing mostly at Murray and Pleasant Grove during my years and continued time. They have specific people for every situation, this helps ensure that you are being placed with knowledge and care. The only weaknesses I witnessed would be that maybe 15% of the staff are hard to communicate with, show little empathy or little urgency. But that’s to be expected anywhere you go. I really enjoy the clinics cleanliness and presentation. It is very comfortable and clean to be there
2014 - 2019
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr G is the reason we have our son. She’s the reason I didn’t give up on the medical world and continued on with treatments after seeing 2 other clinics that treated me like they had all the time in the world and had shown no urgency. Dr G was so kind and loving towards my family, she made things feel like priorities and urgent. She saw how hard it had all been on me and was the salve for our painful reality.
Take in all the information you have on yourself and current situation. Inform dr G of any and all information you have and she will adjust your care to fit you perfectly in the timeline you need.
She was the 4th doctor I consulted with (3rd specialist) and she looked me in the eyes, expressed empathy as I explained our painful journey. She first expressed her condolences and then proceeded on how to continue forward.
I went to DrG after seeing 2 other specialist. I brought along all the information I could as well as treatments I did. Dr G started me on Metformin (750mg 2x a day) as well as clomid. Doing this combination felt different as I was convinced I was pregnant just 1.5 months later. Unfortunately I was not and went back to her clinic in tears. We discussed my chances Of success with IUI. The percentage rate she shown us were not much better, we explored our percentage rates of success for IVF. It was hard to wrap our heads around the cost. We knew it was the next step, she set us up with a coordinator right away and we began planning. We knew egg retrieval Would be next step. Dr. G suggested that we do frozen embryo transfer due to my diagnosis of PCOS. She explained why and we all agreed it was the best option. I began in December 2014 egg retrieval was in January 2015. I do not remember the exact dosage of menopur that I was on. Those were tiny shots in and around my belly, I went in every other day to measure and check on growing follicles. The clinic monitored me very well, we retrieved at optimal time thanks to them tracking me very closely. We set a day for transfer in March 2015, leading up to transfer i began progesterone in oil as well as suppositories. Estradiol was also prescribed. I did one suppository at night and one in the morning-1ml shot of progesterone and I can’t remmeber dosing of estradiol. Bloodwork would determine how much longer I would continue estradiol. Progesterone and estradiol prepped my body for transfer, The reason for both was to mimic a cycle for my body so when it came time for transfer, my body would hold onto the pregnancy. I continued progesterone shots for 10 weeks after transfer. Protocol after transfer was to a wait for 10 days before having a blood test to determine hCG levels. The clinic specifically puts you on very light activity for 48 hours post transfer. This is to ensure low stress so the body can be optimal to accept embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Utah Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Chelsee Young )
Chelsee was amazing. She answered questions timely. Shown care and concern when I was anxious or worried. Walked me through processes- and if she wasn’t educated fully she let me know-found answers and educated me in return.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
The clinic has many locations which is so convenient. I was seeing mostly at Murray and Pleasant Grove during my years and continued time. They have specific people for every situation, this helps ensure that you are being placed with knowledge and care. The only weaknesses I witnessed would be that maybe 15% of the staff are hard to communicate with, show little empathy or little urgency. But that’s to be expected anywhere you go. I really enjoy the clinics cleanliness and presentation. It is very comfortable and clean to be there
Around 10,000$ For egg retrievel (pays for dr fee clinic fee and all the meds) 500$ a year for keeping eggs frozen. 7500$ for transfer (dr fee, meds) Clinic appointments with ultrasound Around 350-450$ Saline sonogram around 650$
Dr. G chose a single embryo transfer because of the quality of our embryos. They were excellent and my uterus was also excellent. This gave us optimal chances for a viable pregnancy.
Pleasant Grove

She [Dr. Gurtcheff] explained that if i have 3 or more mature follicles we would not be able to move forward with an IUI, because of the chance of multiples. She is ok with two mature follicles for IUI...Between our 2nd and 3rd IUI we didn't have any communication with our doctor, we were frustrated but ended up meeting with her and made a new plan. we now communicate with her through the patient portal...were able to speak with her and she assured us that she she looks at our chart often and is always aware of our situation. It helped us feel a little better, since we haven't seen her at any of our IUIs.
Between our 2nd and 3rd IUI we didn't have any communication with our doctor [Dr. Gurtcheff], we were frustrated but ended up meeting with her and made a new plan. we now communicate with her through the patient portal that Utah Fertility Center offers and it is much easier...the nursing staff so far has been very kind and compassionate to us. We only had one problem with a nurse who has very short with us and didn't really answer our questions in detail, but i can't remember her name. There is one NP that I really like, her name is Anne-Marie. She explains everything so well and answers all of our lengthy questions. She is very sweet and I can tell she cares about my treatment. I prefer to have her help us each time, but it is never the same NP or nurse that gives me an ultrasound, etc.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
We have only met with Dr. Gurtcheff twice, and felt like we weren't receiving much communication from her or the plan she has set for us. We happened to see her on one of our many visits and were able to speak with her and she assured us that she she looks at our chart often and is always aware of our situation. It helped us feel a little better, since we haven't seen her at any of our IUIs.
Be upfront about what you want and how much time you're willing to spend on each step (timed intercourse, IUI, then onto IVF, etc.)
Between our 2nd and 3rd IUI we didn't have any communication with our doctor, we were frustrated but ended up meeting with her and made a new plan. we now communicate with her through the patient portal that Utah Fertility Center offers and it is much easier.
The first 2 IUIs i was just on Fermara, the upped my dose to the highest dosage for my second IUI. I came in every few days/once a week to check my follicle size, etc. once my follicle was mature, they had me use the trigger shot and i came in for my IUIs 24 hours later. For my 3rd IUI, we introduced Clomid and Fermara along with the ultrasounds and trigger shot. it seemed to help my follicles grow faster and larger, which was great. I had one on each side that was mature and the other times i only had one. I am starting my medication for my 4th IUI today - again with the highest dosage of fermara and clomid. I have developed a cyst on my left ovary in between my last IUI and now, but they just called me with my blood results and it is not estrogen producing, so we can move forward with my 4th IUI. Before my IUIs, we tried one cycle of timed intercourse with fermara and a trigger shot.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
The clinic is very nice and well kept, the woman that is at reception is awesome and remembers everyone's name, her name is Hilda. When it comes to the finance department, who answer questions about bills and charges, they could be a little more patient and compassionate. Sometimes they don't communicate adequately with reception, so reception with answer our questions about a bill and the answer will be wrong because they were not trained properly from Finance.
for each IUI cycle, it costs around $900.00 plus medication, that is around $50.00. We have not gotten the cost numbers for IVF quite yet.
She explained that if i have 3 or more mature follicles we would not be able to move forward with an IUI, because of the chance of multiples. She is ok with two mature follicles for IUI.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Utah Fertility Center.
there was just some miscommuncation with the finance team. We know our doctor is not covered by our insurance, so I called and specifically asked if when we meet with her on our first ultrasound appointment for our 3rd IUI would cost us extra. The person at reception said that she checked and it will not cost extra and it would be covered by our IUI cost. It was not covered, and we were surprised with a $300 bill because we met with Dr. Gurtcheff. We would have spoken to her over the phone if we would have known we would have to pay extra for this, or even emailed her through the patient portal. It was frustrating.

2017 - 2019
she [Dr. Gurtcheff] is amazing at answering any questions you have...She was the Dr. who first diagnosed me with endometriosis. Since I was able to get pregnant naturally, she wanted me to continue trying while taking progesterone after I ovulated for a few more months. After that didn’t work, I decided to have surgery for my endometriosis. During surgery, They found I had stage 3 endometriosis, but the surgeon was confident he excised it all and told me to try naturally for 6 months.
They [nurses at Utah Fertility Center] are all very nice and some of them were also patients at my clinic so they understand what it’s like from a patient perspective...Each IUI is $875 which we had to pay out of pocket...The clinic is very clean and the staff is wonderful. Sometimes the wait times are long, but it just depends on the time of day. The staff is friendly and easy to get ahold of on the phone. The nurses line isn’t very easy to get ahold of however and you have to call back several times or leave a voicemail to speak with a nurse.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
She has the best bedside manner and is very balanced with providing information and showing compassion. She is so patient and I never felt rushed when asking her questions. She is the most empathetic dr. I’ve ever had! She helped me understand what endometriosis is and was the reason I was diagnosed. I love her!
Come with questions prepared, she is amazing at answering any questions you have.
Dr. Gurtcheff is extremely empathetic and kind! She makes you feel like you are important and you’re not making up your pain. I love her!
When I first went to see Dr Gretcheff, I had told her I was able to get pregnant naturally after 2 years of trying, but had a miscarriage at 10 weeks. She was the Dr. who first diagnosed me with endometriosis. Since I was able to get pregnant naturally, she wanted me to continue trying while taking progesterone after I ovulated for a few more months. After that didn’t work, I decided to have surgery for my endometriosis. During surgery, They found I had stage 3 endometriosis, but the surgeon was confident he excised it all and told me to try naturally for 6 months. After I wasn’t able to get pregnant for 6 months after my surgery, I went back to Dr. Gertcheff at the beginning of this year. We decided to try 3 rounds of IUI before pursuing IVF. The first round, I was taking 50 mg of clomid for 5 days after my baseline ultrasound. I produced 1mature egg that round and we did the IUI. We waited for 2 weeks and the results were negative. Dr. Gurtcheff increased my clomid up to 100 mg for the second round, which also produced 1 mature egg and was also negative. For the 3rd IUI, she increased my clomid to 150 mg which produced 2 mature eggs. I’m still waiting to see if the 3rd one worked, but if it is negative our next step would be IVF. We have been trying to get pregnant for a total of 4 years now.
They are all very nice and some of them were also patients at my clinic so they understand what it’s like from a patient perspective.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
Each IUI is $875 which we had to pay out of pocket. I don’t know how much IVF would be. The trigger shot and progesterone were about $200 together. Clomid was $40.

2017 - 2019
Dr Gurtcheff is a very good doctor. She has always taken care of my wife and has he best intentions of getting us a baby. She has given us hope that one day we will have a baby. She is very thorough in her research and describes what will be the best course for us in a way that easy to understand...We first did eSET as recommended to have a successful pregnancy and is considering and proposing multiple per the embryos we have left after that.
The staff an clinic [Utah Fertility Center] have always treated us well. We have always been well informed and know what we are getting into...The nursing staff was always very friendly and always very willing to help. They always made themselves available to answer any questions or concerns even after hours. Though sometimes we had to wait for them to return calls theybalways did. I always felt we were well taken care of.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Go into every appointment with an open heart and open mind. Infertility is a rough road and you will not get the results you want all the time. Dr Gurtcheff will do her best to help you through and understand all the processes
Dr Gurtcheff was extremely friendly, professional, courteous, and connected to us and our results. I always felt that Dr Gurtcheff had the health and safety of my wife in mind. Although we had to have our first collection cancelled. We always felt like she was doing her best to get us there. Even through our negative pregnancy test we have always felt like dr Gurtcheff has a plan for us.
My wife received started collection medication. She then performed a standard collection followed by a fresh transfer
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
Although very far from of our house I have not had any negative interactions from the clinic. The staff an clinic have always treated us well. We have always been well informed and know what we are getting into.
We have spent around 15$ for medication and treatment trying to conveive

2015 - 2019
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Some time I felt like I was just another patient and that [Dr. Gurtcheff] wasn’t as personable...is a kind and pleasant doctor. It was a little hard to connect with her first but but after the second or 3rd visit she helped me understand my diagnosis and treatment plan and options and showed more compassion. She gave us different options and helped us to understand what we should expect from our options. She was willing to run tests when I questioned about immunological issues.
The nurses [at Utah Fertility Center] were always kind and happy to see me. They always had something nice to say and helped me to feel at ease and especially before and during procedures...IVF procedure was about 15k...The clinic was great. Had kind and friendly staff that were always willing to help and help you find answers to your questions. They always called you back by the end of the day if you had to leave a message for a question that you had: Nice clean and modern facilities.
2015 - 2019
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr G is a kind and pleasant doctor. It was a little hard to connect with her first but but after the second or 3rd visit she helped me understand my diagnosis and treatment plan and options and showed more compassion. She gave us different options and helped us to understand what we should expect from our options. She was willing to run tests when I questioned about immunological issues.
Have and open mind and ask questions when you want to know more about something.
Some time I felt like I was just another patient and that Dr G. wasn’t as personable and did care about my result but other times I did feel like she did care and wanted me to reach the results of motherhood.
Because I had a Low Overian Reserve. We did a low dose medication. She explained to me that my body wouldn’t produce any more eggs on a higher dose medication than it would probably on the lower dose medication. I would have 1 to 3 follicles very time.
The nurses were always kind and happy to see me. They always had something nice to say and helped me to feel at ease and especially before and during procedures.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
I was lucky to have my iui’s and most medication covered by insurance. IVF procedure was about 15k.
I only had 1 viable egg to transfer and so we only did one. If we had more than 1 she would have let me do 2 if I wanted to but do recommend more than 2 because of my age.
Murray
I’ve only seen her [Dr. Shawn Gurtcheff] once. That was only for the consultation. I understand she is a busy woman but it would be nice to have your doctor perform or explain treatment plan for that cycle. I would love to see her more often for appointments. I’m a little nervous for IVF so hopefully she will be the one explaining the process and be performing the treatment.... My last cycle for IUI - I was taking Clomid 2.5 mg, Fermara 7.5 mg Dexamethasone, and for ovulation I toke Pregnyl.
I would love them [Utah Fertility Center- Murray] more if they weren’t always rushing patients. I would want to know more what’s happening and what the pills or procedure will do for me. They should be more responsive on their patient portal. I almost missed a cycle waiting for their reply.... During procedures they weren’t telling me enough about what’s going on like HSG or the water ultrasound. They would just tell me come back and we will schedule you for another appointment! Please just tell me what’s happening.
South Asian, Other
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
I’ve only seen her once. That was only for the consultation. I understand she is a busy woman but it would be nice to have your doctor perform or explain treatment plan for that cycle. I would love to see her more often for appointments. I’m a little nervous for IVF so hopefully she will be the one explaining the process and be performing the treatment.
Come in with questions, always be communicate with her staff, and don’t be afraid to tell them anything.
It’s mostly from her team. They would just give me my calendar and not explain anything especially when I got my HSG it was painful and they were not comforting. My IUI’s (I have a tilited uterus and they wouldn’t ask for help when trying to attempt to put the catheter in)
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
I would love them more if they weren’t always rushing patients. I would want to know more what’s happening and what the pills or procedure will do for me. They should be more responsive on their patient portal. I almost missed a cycle waiting for their reply.
Spent $500 for timed intercourse, spent $1000 (including medicine) for one IUI, other two IUIs were covered by insurance but probably spent $200 on medicine each cycle.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained, Other
Dr. Gurtcheff was extremely patient and sensitive to our needs and emotions the entire time. Unexplained infertility is a very emotional and taxing diagnosis. When you don't know why it's not working; its as frustrating to the doctor as it is for the patient. Dr. Gurtcheff was genuinely upset each failed cycle. She took additional time to help us through each failed cycle, and spent hours explaining as much as possible. Even though we were not successful, I love Dr. Gurtcheff and when we are ready to try again (for a complete new cycle and egg retrieval), I would go back to her in a heartbeat. Another thing I have to mention is that she always took the time to call me directly, rather than having her nurses do it.
For the most part, the nurses and staff were really great to work with [at Utah Fertility Center]. I feel like I had a better overall experience with my nurses that were assigned to my FET cycles rather than my fresh. Occasionally, I felt like it was difficult to get in touch with the staff, and often felt like I was leaving voicemails rather than actually speaking to someone the first time I called. I do think that they organized my cycles really well, and they were good about getting medications called in in an appropriate time frame. The only complaint I think I had was sometimes, I waited longer in the waiting room, even though I had appointments, than I should have. But that's to be expected.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
My husband and I started out seeing Dr. Peterson with the University of Utah. We had all three cycles of IUI with him. When we started into the IVF process, things got really messy and we knew that it wasn't the right fit. So we decided to do our homework. We had some good friends who had been to Utah Fertility Center, and had loved their experience. So we decided to set up a consult with Dr. Gurtcheff. Right away, we felt completely comfortable with her and even though we were taking this huge leap in the fertility world; we felt confident that we would be successful with her and she would guide us through the process each step. Dr. Gurtcheff was very confident that we would be successful. We were the "picture perfect" candidates for IVF and even though I had low egg reserve, we were sure that we would be successful on the 2nd or 3rd cycle. We started into our cycle, and I began injections, medications, daily appointments, etc. My body responded really well and I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have too many side effects from all the hormones. I did end up having to stem for an extra two days, so i did a total of 12 days of injections. Normally, I didn't see Dr. Gurtcheff for the ultrasounds (these were performed by the Nurse Practitioners or PA's). So on the day of egg retrieval, I was very excited to see our doctor again. She was very sensitive to my needs, taking the time to go over any questions we had before the retrieval. She was very kind and caring, almost nurturing in a way. This process is scary, and she helped ease our minds. The egg retrieval went really well, and we ended up with 17 follicles. Over the course of the 5 days, we ended up with 7 perfectly healthy embryos. So we felt very fortunate. We did not do PGS testing because we didn't really fit the bill. Looking back now, I wish so badly we would have. We proceeded with a 5 day fresh transfer and transferred 1 embryo. We froze the remainder. One thing I want to mention here is that I have a history of having an inadequate cervix (I had two surgeries on my cervix in the past). Dr. Gurtcheff was extremely concerned about this and took all the appropriate measures to ensure that we were handling the situation appropriately. She did not feel comfortable transferring more than 1 embryo at a time where we did not know how my cervix would hold up under pressure. I felt very confident in her expertise and knowledge, as well as comforted knowing she had my best interest in mind. The first cycle was unfortunately unsuccessful, but we had been prepared that might be the case. We didn't let us deter us, and we pressed forward. The first frozen transfer went smoothly; again, Dr. Gurtcheff was fabulous and walked us through the procedure. We chatted through the transfer like old friends. Fast forward... the second transfer also failed. We were all perplexed, but we still felt hopeful because we had 5 frozen embryos still and knew our chances continued to increase with each subsequent transfer. We proceeded with our third transfer (second FET). With hopeful hearts, we waited the 2 weeks (anyone in the fertility world knows that this is the worst 2 weeks ever and truly feels like a lifetime). The wait was finally over, we got the call and we were ecstatic to find out that we were pregnant! FINALLY pregnant! After 3 years of infertility. I can honestly say that is probably the happiest day of my life. Dr. Gurtcheff was excited for us and we started to prepare for the next step. A week later, I went in for an HCG test to make sure my levels were still rising. Unfortunately, they had not, and in fact, they had dropped. I was having a miscarriage and the pregnancy was not viable. We were crushed. Just like that, it was taken away from us. With no further answers, we directed our questions to Dr. Gurtcheff, and although she was uncertain why it hadn't worked either, she was sensitive and caring and literally spent almost an hour with me on the phone to comfort me and talk me through possible scenarios as well as new plans to move forward. Moving through the next few cycles was hard, and I was losing hope with each failed round. Dr. Gurtcheff did research and we tried new things, and new medications. We even tried a non-medicated cycle on one of them, and just used my own bodies hormones. We also transferred 2 embryos on another. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, none of them worked. We never even became pregnant again. At this point, I had been diagnosed with repeated implantation failure. After 6 full transfers, and no successful live births, we had officially shut down and our hearts were broken. We knew we needed to take a break. Dr. Gurtcheff remained compassionate and understanding. We met for a final consult after our last failed round, and we discussed the next plan of action; another retrieval, with PGS testing this time, and a few other tests. One or two more transfers, possibly. Then, we start looking at surrogacy if needed. Statistically, couples are more likely to be successful on their 6th or subsequent transfer. We hold onto that and hold onto the hope that when we are ready to try again, we will be successful and will get our miracle baby. It has been 4 years since we started infertility treatments, and we have not been successful yet. It has been truly the hardest trial of our lives. Even though we were not successful, I can honestly say that Dr. Gurtcheff made the process easier. Infertility is not an easy subject, and I'm sure that going into the profession is not an easy choice. Watching couples be successful is the most rewarding part of their job. But when couples aren't successful, it also negatively affects them, and I believe that Dr. Gurtcheff was sincerely disheartened every time we got a negative result. She felt the emotions with us. We have since taken 7 months off, and we are focusing on other things right now. But when we are ready to try again, we will be returning to Utah Fertility Center and we will see Dr. Gurtcheff. We have invested a lot of money and time, and emotions into this trial, and coming up empty handed has been extremely hard. But we are strong-willed, and are not ready to give up the fight yet.
Make sure you have all the questions you want answered at the time of your consult. Also, inquire about resources; i.e. therapy, help groups, etc. My husband and I didn't really look into these options in the beginning and they would have been very useful throughout the process. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the consult, but perhaps it should have been a bigger part of the conversation. Infertility is very taxing on a couple and a marriage.
I sort of already discussed our cycles in detail but some of the specifics I can remember that we did differently: 1) not transferring more than 1 embryo at a time (with the exception of one cycle and only after consulting with my high risk doctor). 2) 5 medicated cycles, and 1 natural cycle 3) Repeated testing (I did 2 HSG tests. Which btw are the WORST). But, when I had my first, i was with a different doctor and they did not put me under and I almost passed out from the pain. When Dr. Gurtcheff did it the second time, she was shocked to learn that they hadn't put me to sleep. We did this the second time and it was a much more pleasant experience. Again, a reason why Dr. Gurtcheff is amazing. 4) We tried a new medication called Neupogen due to repeated implantation failure. 5) We did not do PGS testing on our embryos. We plan to do that when we do our next full cycle.
For the most part, the nurses and staff were really great to work with. I feel like I had a better overall experience with my nurses that were assigned to my FET cycles rather than my fresh. Occasionally, I felt like it was difficult to get in touch with the staff, and often felt like I was leaving voicemails rather than actually speaking to someone the first time I called. I do think that they organized my cycles really well, and they were good about getting medications called in in an appropriate time frame. The only complaint I think I had was sometimes, I waited longer in the waiting room, even though I had appointments, than I should have. But that's to be expected. In all honesty, 1 in 8 couples struggle with infertility, and we are in Utah, where more people are having families. I think that the clinic is extremely busy and I think they do the best they can to juggle the patient volume. I never felt like I was being ignored or like I wasn't a priority. Every patient there is there for the same reason I was; to have a baby.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
The clinic is clean and organized. It's very welcoming. The baby pictures offer hope, and bring a smile to your face even when you're feeling hopeless. I live in Salt Lake City and I Loved how I could have all my blood draws and ultrasounds done at the Murray clinic (which is conveniently close to my house). This made each cycle so much easier to navigate. The amount of appointments per cycle is crazy, and it would not have worked as well if I would have had to drive to Pleasant Grove for every single one. The egg retrieval, HSG testing and embryo transfers were all done at the Pleasant Grove center. The PG clinic is very clean and I like the layout of it. Both clinics are conveniently located close to the freeway. I would always recommend going in comfy clothes when you go for your retrievals and transfers. Wear pants that are lose and comfortable because most likely, you'll go home and sleep/rest for a few days. Also, always, always, always wear socks! Warm feet= warm uterus! :) But for real, it's just better to have socks on when you're walking around the rooms in bear feet.
OH boy.. how can I forget the absorbent costs associated with infertility treatments. hah. From beginning to end, with four years of infertility treatments, we have spent close to 30,000 dollars on TTC. Between medications, IUI, additional testing and actual IVF. Unfortunately, neither of our organizations that we work for, nor do our insurance companies, help with infertility expenses. It's always been a very troubling concept to me. They say where it's elective, it's not covered. But I can vouch for every single woman who struggles to have a child naturally, that being infertile is NOT elective. No one chooses to be diagnosed with infertility. Yes, the process of moving forward with infertility treatment is a choice; but only after couples have exhausted all other options. As women, we are physiologically designed to conceive and carry babies. When that piece of you is broken, it's an internal struggle every day to really believe that something is wrong with you. I wish more insurance companies would consider this. IVF is expensive. But how can you put a price on true happiness; how can you put a price on a child of your own.
We chose to do ICSI and had great results. We got 7 embryos that all made it to the full blastocyst stage and thawed beautifully each time. We did not grade them. But they always looked beautiful under the microscope. Obviously, there is no way to truly know without doing PGS testing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Utah Fertility Center.
For the most part, things went really smoothly. On one or two occasions, medications did not get called into the right pharmacy. But that was an easy oversight, and was quickly corrected. No big deal.
Pleasant Grove

She [Dr. Gurtcheff] has been patient with our hesitations and been willing to go with our plan and desires when they did not match her suggestions, but has been clear about what we can expect if we adjust our plan and try something new. After 3 failed IUI attempts she suggested that we move on to ivf with the better odds for those in our situation, but was very patient when we waited for 6 months taking a break and deciding what we wanted to do.
They [Utah Fertility Center] have extended hours which means if I can book my appointment far enough in advance then I can schedule an early or late appointment and not miss any work. ... It’s typically not too difficult to schedule appointments over the phone and only rarely have I not reached someone when calling the front desk. ... The front desk staff have always been personable.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr Gurtcheff has always been happy to talk through any questions I’ve had and explain any of the treatments we were moving forward with. She has been clear in communicating our next steps when previous treatments didn’t work. When simply taking clomid and timing intercourse didn’t work after the third try she suggested we move to the next step trying an IUI so we didn’t waste our money on something we felt fairly confidently wouldn’t work. She has been patient with our hesitations and been willing to go with our plan and desires when they did not match her suggestions, but has been clear about what we can expect if we adjust our plan and try something new. After 3 failed IUI attempts she suggested that we move on to ivf with the better odds for those in our situation, but was very patient when we waited for 6 months taking a break and deciding what we wanted to do. When we did decide to move forward with ivf after another bad summer of cysts and growing endometriosis she was quick to adjust the plan to accommodate the growing severity of my endometriosis and suggested a specialist who could perform surgery this time to remove my cysts while preserving and keeping my right ovary, and was involved at each step (minus the actual surgery). While we are just now starting the actual process of our first round of ivf I feel confidently that Dr Gurtcheff will continue to support and treat me to the best of her ability, with her best plan for my own situation.
Come prepared with questions and don’t hesitate in asking anything. She’s so happy to answer questions, but can’t predict all of them. And there are no stupid questions, ever.
I have always been reminded that this is my journey and my body and as such I control that journey and what we do and do not do. I have stage 4 endometriosis and my doctor is the one that performed the surgery to remove some large cysts and make the diagnosis of endometriosis and she has always been upfront about what that meant for us and how we move forward with fertility treatments.
In my first three months of treatments I started with a baseline appointment and then took clomid for 5 days, had another ultrasound to check the stimulation of my follicles. When the timing was right following that second ultrasound I would give myself the hcg trigger shot and then my husband and I would have sex 12 and 24 hours after the shot. I then took progesterone suppositories until my blood test to confirm if I was pregnant or not. The following treatment was the same except that rather than my husband and I having sex we did the interuterine insemination, but the timing and medication was the same. I then had my first laparoscopic surgery to diagnose and clean up my endometriosis. Following the surgery we did two more rounds of the IUI but used femara instead of clomid as it is supposed to be better for women with endometriosis. None of the treatments were successful so we took a break over the summer while we were doing some traveling, and to give my body some rest. We will be doing our first round of ivf in a month.
They have always been incredibly nice and helpful when I have been in the office. They have been more difficult to communicate with while I have been away from the office. They aren’t especially quick to return calls when I have had questions. With that being said, now that we are doing ivf we have been assigned a nurse/coordinator who has been incredibly easy to talk to and coordinate with and she is always quick to return phone calls.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
They have extended hours which means if I can book my appointment far enough in advance then I can schedule an early or late appointment and not miss any work. The front desk staff have always been personable. It’s typically not too difficult to schedule appointments over the phone and only rarely have I not reached someone when calling the front desk. It has also always been easy to pay my balance, however t does sometimes take a while for the bill to be posted.
The Cycle of clomid, with a trigger shot, and times intercourse, we paid around $300 a month. Each IUI cycle cost $1000.

2012 - 2018
Dr. Gurtcheff is kind and compassionate. She seems genuinely invested in helping me see a good outcome. She is easy to meet with, available at several locations and over the phone or via email. She listens and is honest about the probability of success...did a full round of bloodwork to check for factors that could cause repeat pregnancy loss (nothing found) and I had an endometrial biopsy done.
She [nurse at Utah Fertility Center] does an ok job, but is sometimes slow to get back to me. She doesn't always know what is going on with my cycle and is a little too clinical for me. She is nice enough, but not my favorite...I was given incorrect information after my HCG blood test. The first test came back low, so I knew the outcome might not be good. I had a repeat test done and the wrong number was written on my chart (or the doctor read it wrong) and the coordinator called me to say it was going up and things were looking good. The doctor called me later that night to correct the mistake and tell me that my numbers were not as high as first reported and that I would likely still miscarry.
2012 - 2018
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
I was first a patient of Dr. Gurtcheff's in 2012 after trying to get pregnant for over a year. I was seeing her in Pleasant Grove and then saw her in Murray when they opened their location there. I did 3 rounds of Clomid and two IUIs with injectables and was not able to get pregnant. When she recommended we move on to IVF, we moved to MA and continued our care there, under Dr. Zimon. I resumed my care with Dr Gurtcheff when we wanted to try for another pregnancy with our frozen embryos. We moved our embryos from Boston to UT. I lost both of those embryos, so now we are pursuing donated embryos in hopes of a successful pregnancy.
Stay up to date on current research, ask all your questions.
I did 3 rounds of Clomid in 2012. I always responded to meds and had 1-2 mature follicles, but no pregnancy. I did 2 IUI cycles with her as well, both with injectable meds. My husband has good sperm counts, but neither IUI was successful. My AMH was low and dropping, so it was recommended we move on to IVF, which we did (but with another clinic and doctor out of state). For my FET cycles, I took estradiol valerate to prep for FET and PIO to help support pregnancy. My first transfer had a positive pregnancy test, but HCG levels were low and never went up appropriately. I had an early miscarriage after verifying via ultrasound no viable pregnancy. Dr. Gurtcheff did a full round of bloodwork to check for factors that could cause repeat pregnancy loss (nothing found) and I had an endometrial biopsy done. My second FET was similar to the first and resulted in a successful pregnancy until 13 weeks when I developed a SCH that caused me to miscarry. She was supportive of us trying IVF with our own eggs again, but my insurance denied coverage due to high FSH levels, so we are pursuing donated embryos at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Utah Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Mallory Oliverson)
She does an ok job, but is sometimes slow to get back to me. She doesn't always know what is going on with my cycle and is a little too clinical for me. She is nice enough, but not my favorite.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
I like that the clinic is small, but they have several locations so I can always get in to be seen in a timely manner. The billing department seems a bit unorganized. I like that I can communicate easily with my doctor. I like that my doctor has done all my procedures.
FET was $2900.
Murray

She [Dr. Shawn Gurtcheff] had done her research on my particular situation before meeting with me and I could tell that she was interested in lowering all potential risks from my blood issue. She was willing to get all my medical doctors involved to come up with the best plan for me to be successful. I felt like she was going above and beyond for my care and she did it without hesitation. Her genuine care and concern is just one of her best qualities.
The clinic [Utah Fertility Center- Pleasant Grove] was very fast at getting me checked in and also seeing a doctor. Waiting area was very clean and welcoming. I had to take my daughter with me to one of my appointments and everyone was very helpful with her and acted like she was not an inconvenience.... My treatment was put together with input from my other medical doctors. After having my first daughter, I suffered a pulmonary embolism. I am prone to blood clots and that is high risk with high levels of hormones. I am taking an estrogen blocker as well as heparin. Then after the egg retrieval I will take lovinox injections to lower the risk of blood clots.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
I was referred to Dr G from my OB/GYN. I trust my OB with my life (She literally saved mine) so I felt very comfortable from the first time meeting her. She had done her research on my particular situation before meeting with me and I could tell that she was interested in lowering all potential risks from my blood issue. She was willing to get all my medical doctors involved to come up with the best plan for me to be successful. I felt like she was going above and beyond for my care and she did it without hesitation. Her genuine care and concern is just one of her best qualities.
Go into your initial appointment with an open mind and heart. That way you will be able to hear and see that she has a genuine love for her job and helping people.
Before meeting Dr G I had talked with another Fertility Dr. He made me feel like I wasn't a good candidate. From the moment I met Dr G she was very caring and made every effort to make me feel comfortable.
Nursing staff made me feel very comfortable with every visit, Whether we were meeting for blood work or ultrasound, they were very professional and caring.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
The clinic was very fast at getting me checked in and also seeing a doctor. Waiting area was very clean and welcoming. I had to take my daughter with me to one of my appointments and everyone was very helpful with her and acted like she was not an inconvenience.
The treatment cost was an IVF cycle With Gestational Carrier
I had already decided that only one embryo would be transferred at a time prior to meeting.

Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr Gurtcheff is very sweet and easy to talk to. she is great at explaining everything throughout the whole process. she truly seems to have my best interest in mind and seems to want us to get pregnant as badly as we want it.... when I first met with her she said "we have to figure out what the problem is first before we can treat it." she did an ultrasound and several labs to determine that I had PCOS.
I sometimes felt like the nurses or MAs [at Utah Fertility Center] that called me had no idea what was going on with my care plan. so that was kind of frustrating, but overall everyone has been really nice and they call the doctor if needed anytime I have questions.... the MAs seem unprofessional at times, but I have LOVED the doctors and nurse practitioners that I have talked to. everyone seems to have my best interest in mind. it can also be very difficult to get anyone to answer the phone, but I understand that they are very busy and they do really well at returning phone calls.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
ask her anything! she is a fountain of knowledge. I had so many questions and worries with my last miscarriage and there wasn't one thing she couldn't answer and she assured me that this wasnt my fault and involved me when deciding a new care plan.
she met with us in her office multiple times, and called me personally to discuss my new diagnosis of pcos. her staff always calls to check up on me each cycle and she makes sure I am well informed and involved in my care.
when I first met with her she said "we have to figure out what the problem is first before we can treat it." she did an ultrasound and several labs to determine that I had PCOS. she then started me on provera to start a period and I did. then we did 2.5 mg of femara to help me ovulate because I wasn't ovulating on my own. that dose didn't work and she increased to 5 mg the next month. I ovulated and got pregnant, but unfortunately ended in miscarriage. the following month we did 5mg of femara again but no ovulation, so she increased it to 7.5. I have been on that dose for two cycles now and have ovulated both times. she also gave me the option during the process to do timed intercourse with monitoring at any point, but I decided to wait and try just the femara for a while first. each cycle she has done a 21 day progesterone to confirm ovulation and if I ovulate then she does an HCG test the week after. she has given me a lot of options for what steps to take next, especially after my miscarriage, which I appreciate! since the miscarriage she has also started me on 200 mg of prometrium twice a day each cycle after ovulation is confirmed and baby aspirin once a day. prometrium was done a couple other times on the cycles that I didn't ovulate to start a period
I sometimes felt like the nurses or MAs that called me had no idea what was going on with my care plan. so that was kind of frustrating, but overall everyone has been really nice and they call the doctor if needed anytime I have questions.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Utah Fertility Center.
there was one time that the MA said they would send a prescription for an increased dose of femara to my pharmacy (increase from 5mg to 7.5 mg) my pharmacy never received it and the MA didn't initially call me until after they were closed. so I had to wait until the next day to get the medication. super frustrating when you are trying to get pregnant and literally every day counts.
Pleasant Grove

Dr. G[urtcheff] was amazing! She truely cares and you feel she is part of your team and rooting you on for success! She explains everything so well and doesn't give any false expectations! She is very thourough and quick to respond! She was nothing short of amazing!...We did estrogen priming instead of birth control because I had once had a low AMH blood draw (it had since normalized by the time we started IVF). We then did stims (follistim 225 and one powder of menopur) for 10 days with blood work and ultrasound monitoring.
[Nurses at Utah Fertility Center are] Very knowledgeAble and caring!...This clinic is wonderful! Honestly have no complaints! They have made this difficult process as easy as it can be! They are very organized, clean and the staff makes you feel so cared for! Everyone is so quick to respond to emails and calls! I have been so happy with my experience and so glad I made the switch to do my IVF with them!
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr. G was amazing! She truely cares and you feel she is part of your team and rooting you on for success! She explains everything so well and doesn't give any false expectations! She is very thourough and quick to respond! She was nothing short of amazing!
Be open and don't hesitate to ask questions and expect honest feed back!
Always friendly and comforting! They explained everything to me and always there to answer all my questions and concerns!
We did estrogen priming instead of birth control because I had once had a low AMH blood draw (it had since normalized by the time we started IVF). We then did stims (follistim 225 and one powder of menopur) for 10 days with blood work and ultrasound monitoring. We started ganirilex on atom day 7 and triggered day 10. Egg retrieval was 36 hours. Transfer was 5 days after. Endometrin was started day after egg retrieval. Currently waiting for my beta as I'm filling this out! (already been getting positive at home pregnancy tests :) )
Describe your experience with your nurse at Utah Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Morgan )
Very knowledgeAble and caring!
Before medications $9800
We were set on transferring too, while Dr. G made us very aware of the risks, she was so willing to work with us and support us. They do have a strict policy of transferring no more than two though.

Anovulation, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I feel like she [Dr. Gurtcheff] did an amazing job explaining the treatment, as well as adjusting my plan as cycles progressed and making the changes that needed to be made. Very good bedside manner. She is educated and caring. I have really loved having her as my fertility specialist...She is wonderful at listening to your concerns you just need to voice them....Failed cycle. After this we discussed and both felt the best option was to move to IVF.
[Utah Fert Ctr - PG] Strengths are ample. Organized and proactive in care. Everyone works together to establish the best possible patient care. One weakness is that initially it is difficult to get in...I loved going to the clinic as the staff seemed to truly care about my outcome. Gave me adequate time and always addressed my needs...The nursing staff was professional and attentive. Always made me feel comfortable and informed....
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
I feel like she did an amazing job explaining the treatment, as well as adjusting my plan as cycles progressed and making the changes that needed to be made. Very good bedside manner. She is educated and caring. I have really loved having her as my fertility specialist
Ask questions you are unsure of, and speak up. She is wonderful at listening to your concerns you just need to voice them.
I loved going to the clinic as the staff seemed to truly care about my outcome. Gave me adequate time and always addressed my needs. The only time I ever felt frustrated was working with the schedule lady who didn't understand why I had to work and it was difficult to make all of the appointments.
I used 7.5mg of femera, as well as 75units of follistim. This resulted in 1 beautiful follicle. Hcg trigger and iui. However did not result in pregnancy. The second iui 10mg femera, 3, 75 unit doses of follistim due to poor initial response. Hcg trigger and iui 48 hours later. Also used Estrace due to thin uterine linning. Failed cycle. After this we discussed and both felt the best option was to move to IVF.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
Strengths are ample. Organized and proactive in care. Everyone works together to establish the best possible patient care. One weakness is that initially it is difficult to get in. However, once you have your initial visit the go to great lengths to accommodate you.
Because we have insurance that doesn't cover infertility costs build rather quickly. Each iui cycle was $800.00 out of pocket for monitoring and procedure. Plus on average of $500.00 for meds.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Utah Fertility Center.
The only thing that was not really an issue as I called and requested them was they didn't call us once our lab results came back.
Pleasant Grove

Dr. Gurtcheff is very sweet & caring. She made us feel very comfortable & gave us hope which is something we haven't had in a long time. My only complaint is I only saw her for the appointments to go over test results and talk about our plan. The ultrasounds, IUI procedures, & even the call to tell me the results that I wasn't pregnant were all done by her nursing staff... The clinic is amazing. Very clean & comfortable. They respond to phone calls/call you back very quickly. When waiting on results they always call in a timely manner, exactly when they say they are going to. There can be a little bit of a wait sometimes even if you show up to your appointment early or on time
The clinic [Utah Fertility Center-Pleasant Grove] is amazing. Very clean & comfortable. They respond to phone calls/call you back very quickly. When waiting on results they always call in a timely manner, exactly when they say they are going to. There can be a little bit of a wait sometimes even if you show up to your appointment early or on time.... The clinic is amazing. Very clean & comfortable. They respond to phone calls/call you back very quickly. When waiting on results they always call in a timely manner, exactly when they say they are going to. There can be a little bit of a wait sometimes even if you show up to your appointment early or on time
European, Latino
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr. Gurtcheff is very sweet & caring. She made us feel very comfortable & gave us hope which is something we haven't had in a long time. My only complaint is I only saw her for the appointments to go over test results and talk about our plan. The ultrasounds, IUI procedures, & even the call to tell me the results that I wasn't pregnant were all done by her nursing staff. They were great, but I felt like there were a lot of questions at times that I couldn't get answers to because I wasn't able to speak with Dr. Gurtcheff directly.
Write down all your questions so you can ask while she's around because you don't always get the opportunity to later.
Dr. Gurtcheff did an amazing job of showing how much she cares & feels for our situation. We have secondary infertility & I was nervous to see a doctor because I didn't want them to think treating me was less important because I already have one kid. Dr. Gurtcheff really seemed to understand our desire to grow our family & give our son a sibling. She reassured us & made us feel comfortable the whole time.
Dr. Gurtcheff explained that clomid on it's own isn't that affective & neither is the IUI. She recommended we do a combination of both to increase our chances. I appreciated the more aggressive approach. We were to try this method up to 3 times because the success rates are supposed to be cumulative so with each attempt our chances go up. After 3 times we would save up for/prepare for ivf.
They were organized, experienced, & very professional. Very warm & friendly. It was easy to feel comfortable with them.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
The clinic is amazing. Very clean & comfortable. They respond to phone calls/call you back very quickly. When waiting on results they always call in a timely manner, exactly when they say they are going to. There can be a little bit of a wait sometimes even if you show up to your appointment early or on time.
IUI and baseline ultrasound -$875 HCG trigger shot, progesterone, & clomid - together cost around $200 Other tests and appointments I was billed around $400

Endometriosis, Unexplained
She [Dr. Gurtcheff] is educated and well knowledged in her profession. She has compassion, empathy, and is real. I have loved working with her because I trust her every step of the way. She is always made sure that whatever decision is made is my own and not because she feels one way or the other. She has remain optimistic for me but yet realistic.... She always made sure that I asked questions and she would answer them. She always try to normalize how I felt every step of the way
I love the girl that works the front desk. I love all of the staff at this location [Utah Fertility Ctr- Murray]. They are really good with getting you in and out of your appointments as quickly as possible and the wait time isn’t that long. They make going through fertility treatments easier and such a hard time.... My Care coordinator has always been available to answer my questions, returns my phone calls quickly, and just overall a very compassionate person. She has shown me that she is invested in myself being able to conceive as much as I am. She is simply amazing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
She is educated and well knowledged in her profession. She has compassion, empathy, and is real. I have loved working with her because I trust her every step of the way. She is always made sure that whatever decision is made is my own and not because she feels one way or the other. She has remain optimistic for me but yet realistic.
If you were looking for someone who knows what they are doing she is the one that can figure out what is wrong and what is the best course of treatment. She is also very smart and empathetic you would love her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Utah Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Morgan baker )
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
I love the girl that works the front desk. I love all of the staff at this location. They are really good with getting you in and out of your appointments as quickly as possible and the wait time isn’t that long. They make going through fertility treatments easier and such a hard time. They also help to answer any question that you may have about your fertility
I have had insurance coverage which has helped. In total I have paid out of pocket around 1300. With IVF I do not have insurance coverage so that will be more costly, we are looking at about 13,000 which includes medication for one round
Murray

I was only able to meet and discuss with Dr. Gurtcheff once at the beginning of treatments. From there on out i saw her nurses and she reviewed my files and led them to the direction that i should go with meds/treatments. I had the option to have her perform my last ultrasound before graduating the clinic...I would have liked to see her more/hear her opinion in person...We started out less aggressive with oral medications and she slowly increased the dosage until we exhausted every trial. Dr. Gurtcheff then moved me to injectables where she ran blood test to determine the best injection to use with the right amount of mg.
The nurses [at Utah Fertility Center] were very nice and welcoming to any questions and helping me along the way...Good personable staff. I would like to see them answer questions via phone faster. It would take hours (most likely until the end of the day) until i would get a response to a question. Their online portal was nice to email questions but again was unpredictable as to when i would hear back....Getting prescriptions was a pain to deal with insurance. I had a situation where they would not refill a prescription because of the way they wrote the initial one.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
I was only able to meet and discuss with Dr. Gurtcheff once at the beginning of treatments. From there on out i saw her nurses and she reviewed my files and led them to the direction that i should go with meds/treatments. I had the option to have her perform my last ultrasound before graduating the clinic but it was too expensive since this is not covered by my insurance.
I would have liked to see her more/hear her opinion in person
The nurses were very nice and welcoming to any questions and helping me along the way.
We started out less aggressive with oral medications and she slowly increased the dosage until we exhausted every trial. Dr. Gurtcheff then moved me to injectables where she ran blood test to determine the best injection to use with the right amount of mg. She wanted to stimulate my ovaries but not overdo it which makes sense. The injectables finally produced a follicle for a cycle treatment.
Most of the nurses were awesome! There were some that seemed too busy to answer questions. I would have to leave a message and wait hours before i could get an answer.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
Trials were different costs. Timed intercouse was roughly $500 but with medications more around $700. IUI was around $800 and with medications more around $1000 every trial.
Pleasant Grove

She [Dr. Gurtcheff] was never too busy for me. She even gave me her personal cell so that if I had an emergency I could contact her...She was soo insightful. And made sure we had ample amount of time to answer any question I had. She was thorough, sincere, and very professional st the same time. I feel 100% comfortable with her...I had two ectopic pregnancies, and needed to get surgery to have the tubes removed. Once removed we began on our IVF journey, and that is where we are currently
Strength [at Utah Fertility Center]: knowledgeable and friendly staff. It is clean, and they are super quick at getting results to you!...Weaknesses: my Husband said the men’s room to give their sample is very awkward. Being that it is right in the middle of the office he could hear children and women passing often. It took him an hr to give his sample just because he couldn’t get comfortable.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr G is amazing!! She was soo insightful. And made sure we had ample amount of time to answer any question I had. She was thorough, sincere, and very professional st the same time. I feel 100% comfortable with her
Know that you’re in good hands, and that she truly wants for you to be successful and leave with a baby!
She was never too busy for me. She even gave me her personal cell so that if I had an emergency I could contact her. I did text her and keep her updated, to which she responded in a timely manner and recommended a certain doctor to me!
I had a few HSG test and all determined that I had a hydrosalpinx. From this, I had two ectopic pregnancies, and needed to get surgery to have the tubes removed. Once removed we began on our IVF journey, and that is where we are currently
Describe your experience with your nurse at Utah Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nurse was Alyssa. Coordinator (financial) was Mallory)
They also took their time. They ended up being my friends through out the process (they probably don’t feel as though they are my friends, but I value them as such!)
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
Strength: knowledgeable and friendly staff. It is clean, and they are super quick at getting results to you! This is key in this situation. Weaknesses: my Husband said the men’s room to give their sample is very awkward. Being that it is right in the middle of the office he could hear children and women passing often. It took him an hr to give his sample just because he couldn’t get comfortable.
IVF $6640 with mil discount Meds $3011 Anesthesia $400 cash Cryptopreservation $750
Because I’ve had two ectopic pregnancies in one year, Dr. G suggest that I only transfer 1 embryo, which my husband and I both felt that that was the best, safest option as well. For me, it wasn’t a matter of not being able to get pregnant, but rather, getting pregnant in the right location.
Murray

She [Dr. Gurtcheff] cared. She listened, let me ask 100 questions, didn't rush me, and took time to explain every detail...She personally called and congradulated us right after we got our BFP, she called and wished us luck when we graduated from UFC, and she called and checked in on me the day after our IUI. She may not have been able to be there in person for things, but I always felt like she still cared and had a strong handle on our case
[The nurses at Utah Fertility Center were] Amazing. No other word to describe it. I called them ALL THE TIME over every little question I had and they were SO PATIENT and reassured me my thoughts and concerns were valid and they walked me through everything...$825 IUI... I always felt very well taken care of. The only weakness I have of the clinic is the receptionist and billing. 9/10 our billing was good, but there were a few times I asked a few questions on our billing and always got the "I don't know" answer. When it came time to pay for the IUI in full the billing lady seemed very annoyed that I was asking her questions regarding the payment.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
We only met with Dr. Gurtcheff once (first appointment), but she would personally call us after each big appointment to make sure we knew she was still there for us. She personally called and congradulated us right after we got our BFP, she called and wished us luck when we graduated from UFC, and she called and checked in on me the day after our IUI. She may not have been able to be there in person for things, but I always felt like she still cared and had a strong handle on our case
Ask as many questions as you'd like! She will have the answer and I promise there's no such thing as a stupid question
She cared. She listened, let me ask 100 questions, didn't rush me, and took time to explain every detail
I had already done Chlomid (6 months), sperm analysis, blood work, and HSG before visiting Gurtcheff. I was very honest with Dr. Gurtcheff that we did not want to waist anymore time. We were financially ready to take the next step into IUI and the only thing holding us back was finding the proper clinic to take us there. She reordered some blood work to confirm a few things (ovulation still strong), did an ultrasound (confirm no cysts, uterine lining looked good), adjusted my meds (from Chlomid to Femara) and we proceeded with IUI. I adjusted my diet slightly, got an ultra sound on CD 11 which showed my uterine lining needed to be just a little thicker so I was prescribed some meds for the night. I had an HSG injection that night as well. We did the IUI on CD 12, followed by progesterone until the blood test results came back 2 weeks later to see if I was pregnant. I walked into that clinic on Feb 1 and found out I was pregnant March 9.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
Doctors and nurses were AMAZING! I always felt very well taken care of. The only weakness I have of the clinic is the receptionist and billing. 9/10 our billing was good, but there were a few times I asked a few questions on our billing and always got the "I don't know" answer. When it came time to pay for the IUI in full the billing lady seemed very annoyed that I was asking her questions regarding the payment. I had a cyst that needed to be tested, so I asked if the cyst came back positive and I couldn't even do IUI if I would get my money back or if I could use the money towards a different course of treatment. She rudely responded "we do not give refunds ever". The receptionist was always nice! When we were doing our IUI we were told to collect the goods (sperm) and get to the clinic ASAP. My husband and I live kinda far so we did all that we could to get the sperm there on time when we arrived I panickly told the receptionist I had the sperm and we had very few minutes to spare ... to which she told me to sit down. She almost forgot about us! Thankfully me and my paranoid self had a timer going and had to remind her it needed to go back NOW.
$825 IUI $100 HCG injections $50 visit $2 Femara $170 progesterone

2013 - 2018
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
Poor Egg Quality, Other
During the process things were fairly routine but when it began to look like we wouldn’t get the outcome we hoped for she [Dr. Shawn Gurtcheff] was incredibly kind and compassionate. She cried with us and offered free consults later to develop new plans moving forward. She emailed me a few times about personal things that she was following up on and stayed involved with us which made it feel like she’s been an ally
I would want to know more about various medication options and what the financial options are [at Utah Fertility Center-Pleasant Grove]. I did like how kind the staff is and how quickly they made us feel at ease each time that we visited. Sometimes they decided to just check something really quick that they were curious about and that sometimes hit us hard when it came to billing. I was impressed by how successful so many of our friends have been through using this clinic so it gives me hope for our future treatments
2013 - 2018
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Shawn is incredibly compassionate and takes joy in helping her patients. She is very knowledgeable and explains things in a way that it easy to understand: you’ll leave feeling like you’ve gained a friend.
Make sure you are on the same page as to what you want and what you can expect to happen if treatments don’t go as planned how things will be adjusted and what your options will be so that you can prepare
During the process things were fairly routine but when it began to look like we wouldn’t get the outcome we hoped for she was incredibly kind and compassionate. She cried with us and offered free consults later to develop new plans moving forward. She emailed me a few times about personal things that she was following up on and stayed involved with us which made it feel like she’s been an ally
I don’t remember the specifics as far as protocols. I know I was on injections for IVF with the hopes that we could freeze embryos and use a gestational carrier. My eggs never seemed to be fully ready for retrieval and we only ended up with two but none that could be frozen. If we move forward again she has explained that we will use a more involved protocol
I don’t think we had a one individual nurse but everyone we worked with was friendly and made us feel very comfortable
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
I would want to know more about various medication options and what the financial options are. I did like how kind the staff is and how quickly they made us feel at ease each time that we visited. Sometimes they decided to just check something really quick that they were curious about and that sometimes hit us hard when it came to billing. I was impressed by how successful so many of our friends have been through using this clinic so it gives me hope for our future treatments
We spent around 13k between care, medications, retrieval and insemination. I know when comparing to other clinics that this is reasonable but it felt like a lot when we were left with no embryos to transfer
I had the desire to transfer two embryos since they didn’t seem to be as good if quality but she explained the risks and why we would be wise to do single embryo transfers but we never made it far enough to be able to do that

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Gurtcheff was very kind and was excellent at communicating possible issues and complications. I think my only criticism would be a lack of her involvement during my IUI’s. She wasn’t in attendance for any of those procedures and I actually only met with her in person ONE time. All of my other interactions were over the phone. I would have appreciated a little more involvement on her part with the stressful IUI procedure.
I loved the Murray clinic [Utah Fertility Center]. It was much more intimate and I felt like they really cared about me and my outcome. The Pleasant Grove facility is much larger and feels more like a “fertility farm”. However, that could be because I only visited that locations a limited amount of times. The only weakness I felt was just a few small encounters with staff members and the lack of time with Dr. Gurtcheff. Otherwise it was a fabulous experience.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Good question. I’m not sure any of my advice would change the way the clinic or Dr. Gurtcheff operate. I’d possibly tell a prospective client to ask for more of the doctor’s involvement up front.
The clinic was great and very empathetic. The staff was very friendly and after my second visit they remembered my name and who I was.
I had blood work done and it was found that my thyroid was a little low so I went in thyroid medication. I also had a hysteropalpingogram to make sure my Fallopian tubes were functioning properly. The test was great and didn’t produce any negative response. My egg supply was surprisingly high for my AMA and also high considering I only have one ovary. My husbands sperm count was tested and all was well in that department. Basically, all of my tests came back without any reason for infertility. One thing that was a little concerning was a diabetes diagnosis a few months after my final IUI treatment, thanks to my PCOS. I was a little confused as to why my blood sugars weren’t tested during the conception procedures as that can have a major effect on conception.
The majority of the nursing staff was very helpful and nice. I had one really difficult transfer with a new PA that was a little traumatic. Of course there were times when some staff members weren’t as friendly but we all have bad days!
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
I loved the Murray clinic. It was much more intimate and I felt like they really cared about me and my outcome. The Pleasant Grove facility is much larger and feels more like a “fertility farm”. However, that could be because I only visited that locations a limited amount of times. The only weakness I felt was just a few small encounters with staff members and the lack of time with Dr. Gurtcheff. Otherwise it was a fabulous experience.
It was between $9000-$10000 out of pocket and some of my HSA.

Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She [Dr. Shawn Gurtreff] truly understood how much We wanted andswers and how much we wanted a baby. You could tell that she just wanted to help and wanted to make sure we were heard. She showed that even if it didn’t work for us, she wanted to make sure we did all we could to make sure we didn’t have any regrets.
[At UFC-Pleasant Grove] Own nursing staff for each dr. Make sure you know how the office operates and you won’t have any unwelcome surprises. Ask questions about procedures and you will get more information than you knew you wanted. Info is available and will be given but you can be explained as much or as little as you want. But you must communicate.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
She was truly the reason we had success. She was there to make sure we felt like we were a priority and like we had someone on our team. She made it feel like she wanted success as much as we did. Without her I would have given up a long time ago. Because of her knowledge and determination, I now have my amazing and perfect miracle baby!
Make sure she knows you mean business and you will stop at nothing! I made sure to let her know I had done my research and I would ask her about everything I could find. She was happy to research anything I asked about. She is great at communicating but I also came with a lot of my own questions.
She truly understood how much We wanted andswers and how much we wanted a baby. You could tell that she just wanted to help and wanted to make sure we were heard. She showed that even if it didn’t work for us, she wanted to make sure we did all we could to make sure we didn’t have any regrets.
We did a typical protocol without Lupron first. We started with birth control and then right into follistim and menopur. Stimmed for 9 days and retreival went perfect. Retrieved 19, 16 mature, 15 fertilized with ICSI. We didn’t plan on ICSI but my husbands sperm dropped motility (I think it was motility) when they went to fertilize naturally, so dr G told the embryologist to not risk anything and just do ICSI (they didn’t charge us). On day 3 we still had 15 growing. Day 5 we transferred a morula and had no blasts but 6 more we let still grow for another day to see if they would become blasts to be able to freeze. Dad 6 all the remaining had arrested and the fresh transfer didn’t result in pregnancy. The second cycle we started with Lupron and did only menopur to try to help with quality we had to up the menopur dose to 3 vials per day at one point. We stimmed for 11 days (maybe 12 I can’t remember) and retrieved 7 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI. 5 still growing on day 3. Day 5 we had 4 still, we transferred 1 and let the others grow some more to see if they would make it to blast. None made it and arrested on day 6. This smcycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test too. Cycle 3 we started right away and didn’t use anything to suppress at all. We did a complete natural start and did half a vial of menopur and follistim. We only stimmed 8 days before trigger. We had 21 retrieved, 19 mature, 15 fertilized with ICSI. Still had 15 on day 3 and day 5 we had 4 still growing with one expanded blast to transfer. We waited until day 6 for the other 3 to see if they would catch up and they did! We froze 3 blasts. The cycle resulted in a negative again and we did an ERA test to check for receptivity. We waited for those results and everything came back good. We waited a couple of months because my estrogen levels took a very long time to get back to normal levels, then we geared up for the first frozen transfer. We did a natural start again and transferred a low quality embryo. All went as planned and we now have a 9 month old miracle baby. Dr g has been amazing and was so excited to have us bring him back to meet her and her staff.
Each doctor has their own nursing staff and own line for communication. They did a bit of restructuring and it was a little rough for the transition for patients and the staff to get used to the new system but it is great now and so helpful! Morgan was great and Danica is also great! They are awesome and made sure I was helped and listened to.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
They tried to bill everything through Insurance. The out of pocket cost to me Was the same regardless of whether or not they tried to bill Insurance. I had one clinic I was going to go to that would check with Insurance but if they didn’t pay anything, I would have a higher cost than if I just didn’t have them try to bill Insurance. With UFC they would always try to bill Insurance and if Insurance wouldn’t cover it, the cost to me didn’t change. I felt like UFC knew their way around Insurance and knew what was able to be billed to Insurance so that there was minimal cost to me out of pocket and minimal confusion about what things would cost.
I have a unicornuate uterus (I only have half a uterus) and dr g said we will transfer 1 embryo and 1 embryo only. It is not same for baby and not safe for mom.

2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr G [Shawn Gurtcheff] is very knowledgeable and compassionate. She is a gentle communicator, and very helpful. She was just as determined as us to help as achieve our goal of having a baby. We experienced recurrent pregnancy loss with our first 3 IVF cycles, on the 4th cycle there were no embryos to transfer... most would give up or move on at that point but she was so open to talking about everything we could do and just gave us so much hope. We ended up switching some things around for our 5th IVF cycle and now we have our two sons from our 5th and 6th transfers! She made it possible for us to do the 5th round, and suggesting a new protocol. We are so grateful for her and all that she has done to help us
I started with this clinic [Utah Fertility Center] when they were in a small building in PG. They have grown and expanded so much over the years which came with positives and negatives. Trying to get ahold of a nurse or coordinator in the same day can be stressful because they are so busy now. I would just say that they have some growing pains to work through so that they can still offer great patient care.
2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Dr G is very knowledgeable and compassionate. She is a gentle communicator, and very helpful. She was just as determined as us to help as achieve our goal of having a baby. We experienced recurrent pregnancy loss with our first 3 IVF cycles, on the 4th cycle there were no embryos to transfer... most would give up or move on at that point but she was so open to talking about everything we could do and just gave us so much hope. We ended up switching some things around for our 5th IVF cycle and now we have our two sons from our 5th and 6th transfers! She made it possible for us to do the 5th round, and suggesting a new protocol. We are so grateful for her and all that she has done to help us.
Ask as many questions as you can! She will answer all of them for you!
Dr G did everything she could to help us have a family. She would call me from her cell phone and tell me results/updates she truly cares for us!
We did so many IVF cycles I don’t remember exact protocols for each. But I will say we ended up just doing minimal stimulation cycles because I produced about the same number of good quality eggs on min stim. Another important part of my IVF protocol was adding in Intralipid infusions after I had 3 miscarriages. These helped lower my NK cell count so my body didn’t attack the embryo(s) and got me my two baby boys! 😊
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
I started with this clinic when they were in a small building in PG. They have grown and expanded so much over the years which came with positives and negatives. Trying to get ahold of a nurse or coordinator in the same day can be stressful because they are so busy now. I would just say that they have some growing pains to work through so that they can still offer great patient care.
Yes, she did. I will say ultimately she left the choice up to us but did very well at educating us on all the pros/cons of each option.
Pleasant Grove

[Dr. Gurtcheff] Very knowledgeable initially. Poor communicator when it comes to follow up. Very late to appointments. Only met with her one time on the initial visit, everything else was done with nurses or techs...When I finally had the opportunity to speak with the Dr. Gurcheff, I very openly explained my frustration and dissapointment with the lack of communication from her and the lack of professionalism from her staff. She was very apologetic again
The impression I have is that the [Utah Fertility Center] Murray office is a remote or satellite office for the main Utah Fertility Center in Pleasant Grove. The office/staff is much smaller and the service leaves a lot to be desired. If you're familiar with the inner workings of infertility and how this all works, it's probably fine. But, if you're new to this or expect to fully know and understand every step of the way, this is no the place for you...Very impasse and nonchalant.
How was your experience with Shawn Gurtcheff at Utah Fertility Center?
Be your own advocate. Ask questions and demand answers, don't leave an appointment without fully understanding what is going on.
On our first meeting they said to come 15 minutes early, so we did. She was then 35 minutes late so we waited almost an hour. We were optimistic though. The first meeting went well and we really liked Dr. Gurtcheff. She scheduled many tests, took blood, etc. and we scheduled our next appointment with her, which was to be done over the phone to discuss our results the following week. We scheduled the appointment with the receptionist and left. When our appointment came, we were very much looking forward to getting some answers however, the doctor never called. We tried calling the office and at first were placed on hold for 9 minutes, until I decided to hang up. When trying to call back, no one answered and we got voicemail the next couple times. Our over the phone appointment was now 15 minutes late and we were just baffled. My husband decided to drive to their office as we only live a few minutes away. When he got there he was told that Dr. Gurtcheff wasn't in and that they would give her a message. When he asked about our appointment, he was hastily shewed out and told we'd have to wait to hear from the doctor. The majority of the staff were pretty nice and helpful, with the exception of the front desk receptionist, who always seemed put out and borderline rude. For people who are paying thousands of dollars to elective medical care out of pocket, I expected basic professionalism and service. After an hour passed, I called their other office (in Pleasant Grove) and asked for Dr. Gurtcheff. They said she was there today, but not available. Just a few minutes later she called back and was very apologetic. She said she had an appointment that couldn't wait come up, which I understood. I did however, explain that I would've appreciated a phone call from someone in their office or an explanation of that when we called initially and that this was the second appointment that was late or we'd been waiting for. She asked if we wanted to re-schedule or do the call now... We were in anticipation so we said, which was a mistake because she didn't have a lot of time and basically rushed us through the results. We were left with questions... tried calling to get answers, but couldn't get a call back from the doctor and the nurses weren't too helpful. I went in for a 3d ultrasound and treatment plan, expecting to see the doctor and ask some questions, but she wasn't there, again. I saw a technician and the nurse again and was sent with a paper outlining some instructions on medications to take. When I asked about the medications (where to fill the prescriptions, etc.) I was told someone else would call me with that information. The next day I received a call from an out of state (Arizona) number who said they were a pharmacy that was going to overnight my medication but they wanted my credit card number. At first, I thought this could be a scam, I was alarmed that they wanted my credit card number so I called the doctor to ask them if this was who would be contacting me, but to no avail. I just left messages and two days went by with no call back. Finally, I did my own research, calling the Arizona pharmacy back, asking what was called in, by what doctor, etc. and decided they were legit and I needed the stuff so I paid them and they over-nighted the stuff to my house. It arrived just in time to start taking it and I was determined to stay focused and not let the negative experiences we'd been having with the Utah Fertility Center office affect me. My husband and I both took the medications, we did everything 100% as explained. When I finally had the opportunity to speak with the Dr. Gurcheff, I very openly explained my frustration and dissapointment with the lack of communication from her and the lack of professionalism from her staff. She was very apologetic again and gave me the direct line to her head nurse, with assurance that it wouldn't happen again. We continued on with several more appointments (6 or 7 visits in total over the course of a few months) and each time, never saw Dr. Gurtcheff, just some new person in her office. We drove 45 minutes to their other location to do the IUI as it needed to be done on a Sunday and were told (last minute) that the office near us in Murray wasn't open on Sunday's, only their Pleasant Grove office. That whole process was a blur, no one explains anything. Granted, it was our first time, but still, I thought a little bit of basic understanding of the process would be a fundamental basic... Wrong. The lady that did the procedure said to call the doctor and ask her. But, at that point, even the thought of trying to get a hold of the doctor just felt like a waste of time. The one treatment was unsuccessful. After the poor experience, I decided to look for a new doctor but was so discouraged that I ended up not doing anything. A few months went by and I finally called them to see if they would send me my records, I signed the electronic agreement paperwork, etc. They said they would send them to me, but, big surprise--they never came. I've heard so many great things about the Pleasant Grove office for the Utah Fertility center, but not much about the Murray office. Our bad experience may just be a fluke, but the consistency of the poor service and quality seems to too much to give the benefit of the doubt. I would not recommend the Murray office.
Diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Treatment plan was to take clomid (both my husband and I). I had an ultrasound to determine that the clomid had produced no more than 5, but at least 3 folicles/eggs. The size was measured and the thickness of uterine lining, etc. I then took HCG to force ovulation for an IUI treatment, which was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Utah Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Very impasse and nonchalant.
Describe your experience with Utah Fertility Center.
The impression I have is that the Murray office is a remote or satellite office for the main Utah Fertility Center in Pleasant Grove. The office/staff is much smaller and the service leaves a lot to be desired. If you're familiar with the inner workings of infertility and how this all works, it's probably fine. But, if you're new to this or expect to fully know and understand every step of the way, this is no the place for you.
Our initial consultation with Dr. Gurtcheff was free, we expected to pay an office visit but were told they only charge for the services, not the diagnosis, unless you elect not to have them do any treatments. From there we paid for several blood tests were several blood tests, one for genetic testing that cost $450, the others were all around $200 each. The IUI treatment was about $900. We also paid about $350 in prescriptions. In total we spent about $2000. They advised us to complete another round of IUI and had our experience been better, we would have done it in a heartbeat. It wasn't about the cost, it was about the lack of communication and service.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Utah Fertility Center.
Please refer to my initial comments, they are very informative.