Medical SchoolRWJ Rutgers
732-220-9060
955 S. Springfield Avenue
Springfield, NJ 07081
973-258-4081
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shefali Shastri to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New Jersey to a friend?
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I had my third failed transfer at the end of June to no avail. The day of the beta, she [Dr. Shastri] left me a voicemail almost in tears and then the following Monday, sat with me for an hour and a half to discuss next steps. She hasnt been successful getting me pregnant just yet, but I have the absolute faith that it is coming...She is a very fast talker, so if you dont understand something, speak up!
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Shastri (Mavani) has been my RE for the last two years. I've gone through three failed transfers after two hysteroscopies to get a fibroid and one laparascopy to remove my non functional tube. After going through all of the physical issues, we thought we were in the clear. Unfortunately, I had my third failed transfer at the end of June to no avail. The day of the beta, she left me a voicemail almost in tears and then the following Monday, sat with me for an hour and a half to discuss next steps. She hasnt been successful getting me pregnant just yet, but I have the absolute faith that it is coming.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She is a very fast talker, so if you dont understand something, speak up!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Shefali is the most caring, compassionate doctor I've ever had. I don't think I could've gone through these last two years with a different doctor.
Describe the protocols Shefali Shastri used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
For the first three transfers, I was on estrogen twice a day and then PIO injections until the transfer. After the fails, we went a different route for a mock transfer and used Follistim to try to get my lining thicker and then triggered with Ovidrel and then PIO shots. The mock was to test my lining with an ERA test to see if the transfers were on the correct day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Christine Pierman)
I've had several nurses throughout my journey. My first, Kathy Giordano, was amazing. I still keep in contact with her. I had another one transfer and then I asked to have a new nurse after she gave me incorrect details. My current nurse is also fabulous. She answers quickly and is always on top of things.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA makes you feel like a human, not a number. They have always been extremely responsive. I do know they are a bit on the pricey side, but their success rates I suppose make up for it. IF you are unhappy with anything during your experience, speak up. This is your journey and if you are paying OOP for it, it's up to you to speak up. Do your research. Don't just go with the flow. Make sure you understand the protocols.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
Having a location near me definitely helped. Occasionally it was super swamped but for the most part I was in and out pretty quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey.
I was covered by my insurance for my first 3 transfers. I will be doing another one soon and I was informed the cost would be $6k.
Describe Shefali Shastri's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
RMA will only do 1 embryo transfer I believe (with the exception of rare cases) on the first transfer. My lining wasnt thick enough to transfer two. I am hoping the next one the lining will get thicker and we can transfer two. Dr. Shastri is okay with this.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
Basking Ridge
1 Egg Freezing, 4 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Dr. Shastri is extremely kind and warm. She hugs me every time she sees me, which some people might not like, but I appreciate it as a single woman going through this process. She has been very sensitive and very available to me.... The first [FET] was a medicated protocol which I ovulated through. It ended up being an unsuccessful FET - negative beta with a PGS normal embryo. The second was a natural cycle, which I liked so much better. I wish we had discussed medicated vs. natural upfront because if we had, I would have chosen natural for the first FET.
1 Egg Freezing, 4 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
I am so glad to have found her. I am really happy with Dr. Shastri's care. She is well-versed in the literature but does not treat me like a number. I was referred to her by one of the docs that had trained her as a fellow - someone that has an excellent reputation and to whom I would go for treatment if my insurance covered it.
ask all of your questions. She talks fast, so be ready to listen carefully and ask for things to be repeated if you need.
I really don't remember other than I did 2 FETs (so far, a third is planned). The first was a medicated protocol which I ovulated through. It ended up being an unsuccessful FET - negative beta with a PGS normal embryo. The second was a natural cycle, which I liked so much better. I wish we had discussed medicated vs. natural upfront because if we had, I would have chosen natural for the first FET. Of course, I'll never know if it would have made a difference. Second FET was a chemical, so at least we got a positive beta! Those were not PGS tested embryos so assume the chemical was due to abnormal embryos given my age of 42 when they were retrieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Josephine Zeza)
Josephine is great. Very clear, detailed, and responsive. And I always feel like she is totally familiar with my case and my history, which I appreciate.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA NJ is excellent -very organized and yet still very compassionate. The best mix I have found of these 2 important qualities and I have been a patient at 3 clinics total. I think they are among the best in the world right now. They are evidence-based only , which as an MD myself I appreciate but sometimes when I feel desperate I do wish they did more experimental things a la CCRM.
it was usually fine - in and out in an hour or less. much quicker if bloodwork only. phlebotomy is well staffed, efficient and friendly. on weekends you have to travel to the "mother ship" which is kind of a pain but i didn't really mind.
I had insurance coverage so had a $2500 annual out of pocket and then minimal costs. meds were a few hundred $ only for each cycle, also thanks to my insurance coverage.
she did, and I agreed with her.
Springfield
I have PCOS and am overweight, Dr. Shastri was very patient for our 1st year of treatment and just kept encouraging me to lose weight... During what was an extremely stressful time, Dr. Shastri was extremely supportive. She has encouraged us to continue healthy lifestyle choices and praises the loss we have achieved...It was also recommended to be on Metformin for the PCOS and synthroid for thyroid levels.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
I have PCOS and am overweight, Dr. Shastri was very patient for our 1st year of treatment and just kept encouraging me to lose weight. When we finally got cleared for our first treatment cycle, my mom passed away and a month later my father had open heart bypass surgery. During what was an extremely stressful time, Dr. Shastri was extremely supportive. She has encouraged us to continue healthy lifestyle choices and praises the loss we have achieved.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and write things down
We used follistim and ovidrel for the iui cycles. The cycles we did not do iui, had the same medications. My body responded very well and a few follicles matured each time. It was also recommended to be on Metformin for the PCOS and synthroid for thyroid levels.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Adrienne Frankel)
My nurse is very good at calling with instructions or bloodwork results. She is not good at the personal stuff. When my mom died, she did not tell the dr. She also is very abrupt in conversation.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
They have multiple offices and early monitoring hours which is great. But sometimes because there are so many doctors with differing approaches, results can vary from monitoring and things can be missed
I have not had ivf or transfers yet, that is the next step if this current iui cycle fails.
Somerset
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Shefali Shastri is a very skilled and knowledgeable reproductive endocrinologist. She is realistic in her expectations and explains all diagnosis, procedures, and results throughout treatment. She is kind, caring and compassionate. Dr. Shastri puts her all into her work, and will do all that she can to get a positive result. I would recommend her to anyone who is looking for a great RE.... IVF cycle #1: September, 2016 450 units Follistim 20 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 10 eggs retrieved, 2 blast embryos, 1 ccs normal male IVF#2/IUI: October, 2016 cancelled and converted to IUI 450 units follistim 20 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 2 follicles developed on right side (with only remaining tube). Therefore, the cycle was changed to IUI to see if we would have a successful IUI attempt. Negative beta IVF #3: November, 2016 450 units follistim 40 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 6 eggs retrieved, 2 blast embryos, 1 CCS normal male *increased stim protocol for better egg response Transfer #1: December, 2016 1 mg esteogen twice daily 5 days prior to transfer: 1 mL progesterone in sesame oil 1mL progesterone in sesame oil continued until beta test Antibiotic for 7 days during Antibacterial cream inserted vaginally prior to transfer Progesterone inserted vaginally prior to transfer on the day of 1 4BB male transfered Negative beta IVF #4: 450 units Follistim 40 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 16 eggs retrieved, 2 blast embryos, 0 CCS normal IVF #5: 450 units Follistim 50 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 7 eggs retrieved, 1 blast embryo, 0 CCS normal *increased stim protocol for better egg response
European, Other
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Do not be afraid to ask questions! Dr. Shastri wants you to fully understand what is happening every step of the way. She is always there to answer any questions that you may have.
Dr. Shefali Shastri really cares about her patients. She will take the time to give a call when needed to make sure that you are doing well emotionally and physically throughout the entire process. She is prompt in returning phone calls and answering any and all questions throughout the process. She is also there to support during times of disappointment or grief. She is an amazing doctor!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Gwendolyn Plaza )
Gwendolyn is very knowledgeable and prompt in returning phone calls, answering questions and giving results. She is very caring .
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is an amazing clinic where yiu are treated as more than just a number. All staff is very knowledgeable and caring. They work with your specific needs and have convenient operating hours for full-time working patients.
Morning monitoring is very well run at this clinic. Walk in monitoring hours run on a first come first served basis. Hours are between 6-7:30 which is extremely convenient as a full-time working patient.
Insurance covered all infertility treatments in full with an unlimited lifetime maximum. Only had to pay office copay $35 and prescription drug copays. CCS testing for up to 10 embryos over multiple cycles $6,500.
Dr. Shastri recommended a single embryo transfer to avoid an "at risk" pregnancy. She felt there were better chances for success with transfering one embryo.
Somerset
Dr. Shastri has been concerned not only with how my treatment is progressing, but also with how I'm doing emotionally. She understands that this is a difficult process from a number of standpoints, and that comes through in how she talks about the entire process....Unless you go to the Springfield office regularly, it's possible you may only see her at your scheduled consultations, rather than at monitoring, IUI, etc...he has been very up-front about the probabilities of IUI working for us, and when I met with her to discuss IVF, she was very thorough in explaining how it works.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She has been very up-front about the probabilities of IUI working for us, and when I met with her to discuss IVF, she was very thorough in explaining how it works. I felt that I understood well enough to be able to explain IVF knowledgeably to my husband, who was unable to attend my appointment. As we move to IVF, I look forward to continuing to work with Dr. Shastri.
During the appointments I've had with her, Dr. Shastri has been concerned not only with how my treatment is progressing, but also with how I'm doing emotionally. She understands that this is a difficult process from a number of standpoints, and that comes through in how she talks about the entire process.
For IUI: Gonal-F at varying levels (between 100-150 most times) depending on follicle growth, then 1Ovidrel for trigger each time. We did not have any successful IUI cycles, however. I was also advised to go on a low-carb diet as Dr. Shastri diagnosed me with symptoms similar to PCOS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jordanna and Alana)
I started with Jordanna, who was very receptive to all of my questions and was available regularly via email. When she went on leave, I was transferred to Alana, who has been excellent about communicating my results and very patient as my husband and I mulled over whether to start with IVF.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The reception staff is friendly and helpful. I can't say enough about how great the phlebotomy staff is - they work quickly and efficiently and are wonderful to talk to. I do think, however, that the Somerset office could benefit from having more than one doctor on morning monitoring. I often feel like that is the part where I wait the longest to get done, though the monitoring itself is a fairly short process.
Our insurance has covered most costs. For monitoring, I have a co-pay only for ultrasounds, not bloodwork. We will have some out-of-pocket costs for IVF beyond what insurance will cover.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
Somerset
She [Dr. Shastri] did her research on my test results that were transferred over prior to my first appointment with her. She was compassionate and understanding of the emotional turmoil that I am dealing with. She was patient and explained everything to me a million times until it sunk in....She looks at each person as an individual, she has some out of the box treatment options but is open and honest about the successes. She is caring, and has followed up with me on a regular basis to monitor my progress.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She looks at each person as an individual, she has some out of the box treatment options but is open and honest about the successes. She is caring, and has followed up with me on a regular basis to monitor my progress. I am very happy with her!
I would see her more often if I was in the Basking Ridge office, but I have been frequenting the Somerset as it's in close proximity to my home.
She did her research on my test results that were transferred over prior to my first appointment with her. She was compassionate and understanding of the emotional turmoil that I am dealing with. She was patient and explained everything to me a million times until it sunk in.
Letrozol and a double IUI after testing. Bloodwork at day 3 and day 11 to make sure I am progressing. Chlomid was unsuccessful 4x and this is what we are trying before proceeding to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Reynaga)
I had an emergency after an IUI and Jennifer was my point of contact. She was calming, caring and checked on me frequently. The entire nursing team is efficient and communicates effectively.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The clinic hours are great, I have been in and out of the office in 5 minutes with very little wait time. It's easy to get to, is clean and friendly staff. The coffee...not so great though...bring your own!
One month and 2 IUI procedures out of pocket costs were $650, with ultrasounds, bloodwork, tests, etc being covered by insurance. The finance team made sure to explain all costs and what I should expect. They were very helpful and well-informed on my insurance provider
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
She [Dr. Shefali Shastri] was very caring and compassionate. She was positive and made me feel like this could really happen for us. At our first meeting she was really good at learning more about us and connecting with us on a personal level.... We used the Microdose Lupron Flare protocol with a high dosage of stimulation medication. At my first clinic they used a very standard protocol even though I had a low number of follicles. We only got 5 eggs and the quality wasn’t good. We were almost cancelled and had to have my meds upped 4-5 times. Dr. Shastri was aggressive right off the bat. She said she was going to get me 10 eggs and I told her there was no way. I got 11 eggs and 6 great quality embryos. We transferred two and both stuck. I lost one of them early on, but the other became my son.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She was very caring and compassionate. She was positive and made me feel like this could really happen for us. At our first meeting she was really good at learning more about us and connecting with us on a personal level.
I would say to trust her. She is agressive with treatment when it’s needed and only has your best interests at heart.
She listened well and was very knowledgeable. She never acted like all our questions were bothering her. She even called me on her day off to give me critical advice during my cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey.
I can’t remember my nurse’s name, but she was very quick to get back to me and managed my care very well. She preferred to communicate by email, which was ok by me, but I did sometimes have to wait a few hours for a response.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I loved RMA! They are smart, take chances, and have an incredible lab. They are more expensive than the other clinic I went to but they got me a take home baby, so it was worth it. My husband didn’t like the monitoring mornings, because it is sort of like a factory with lines of patients going through the process one after the other. That did not bother me though. I felt like they were extremely organized in their approach and everyone was so nice, I never felt like a number even though I guess I technically was to those who were performing all the monitoring.
There was a good window to arrive for monitoring. There were a lot of people there, but it was run very well.
I was well educated on the benefits of eSET and that is for the most part recommended at RMA. However, with my negative results in the past plus my age and diagnosis, Dr. Shastri felt comfortable allowing me to transfer two embryos.
Freehold
2012 - 2013
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I cannot rave enough about her...Dr. Shastri called me even if she did not do the retrieval or transfer. She also called me to explain what it meant when on day 5 my embryos looked like morulas and we were going to wait another day for blastocysts. I was always in the know and treated like a patner in my plan... She was always open to my suggestions....I still refer people to her and as I counsel people on infertility I call her to ask her advise and to explain things to me. She has become a friend, and was always my partner.
2012 - 2013
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
I cannot rave enough about her. I still refer people to her and as I counsel people on infertility I call her to ask her advise and to explain things to me. She has become a friend, and was always my partner. I would research and ask her about my findings and she never had an ego and was always willing to listen and appreciative that I wanted to be my own advocate.
SPEAK UP! She will listen.
I had a antagonist protocol but when implabtation didnt occur, she brought up the idea of an edometrial biopsy to make sure my lining was optimal. When antibiotics didnt work, we did a suction D&C and got a fresh lining. It became standard in my protocol. I asked about HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE to get my embryos to blasts. She said there was research that it worked in some, but no corrolation to those it did. It was costly, but if i wanted to try it, she was up for it. She was always open to my suggestions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Anne McGuire)
She has since retired, but I love her. When she was off, Christine Rose communicated with me, and she was great too.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
When you go to Basking Ridge it is overwhelming since there are so many people there. It will seem like a factory, but just know all the Drs discuss every case, so they all know your deal, but it is up to you to advocate for yourself and speak up.
I always needed to get to work so I came 30 minutes before so I could be the first one seen and be in and out.
I had insurance but still needed to pay some deductibles with medicine and other issues. $7,000 PGS banking and such.
I wanted multiple, I was insistant on it, so she listened.
Somerset
Dr Shastri was so compassionate. She personally called me when our results were unfortunate. She spent time with us without rushing us. She also made us feel like we could take all the time in the world asking as many questions we liked. We were unsuccessful but not due to the doctor. I wish I had started with her from the start of our journey.... Dr Shastri was caring, thoughtful, and made you feel important. She was invested in my success.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Be open and honest as Dr shastri will guide you along the way. Email her any time you don’t understand something.
Antagonist my first cycle: 2 eggs retrieved. Did not make it to day 6 blastocyst. Micro flare the second cycle. 5 eggs retrieved. Three fertilized. All made it to do 5 blastocyst. All tested abnormal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Rachel )
My nurse was ok. More procedure and hard to connect with. But nice and reasonably responsive.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
They do tend to do the same protocol with most patients. Few doctors will go off script from my understanding. They will not transfer mosaic typically. The positive is that they have tons of on hand research, their own lab and multiple locations/doctors tochoose from.
We used Attain for outside prepay financing
Prefers set
Springfield
dr. Mavani [Shastri] is very compassionate . She was there to hear my concerns and adjust the treatment plan when necessary . She adjusted her schedule to fit me in for the additional testing that was required after my first FET failed... For the egg retrieval I was injecting 450 units of follistim until the egg retrieval . I wanted the option of CCS of the embryos, until I got the results I was started on a birth control pill once the results were in i was recommended a medicated FET. I was using Pio injections and oral estrace
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
dr. Mavani is very compassionate . She was there to hear my concerns and adjust the treatment plan when necessary . She adjusted her schedule to fit me in for the additional testing that was required after my first FET failed
Explore all your options and write all the questions down before your consultation
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Everyone on the staff is very friendly and compassionate and accommodating . I have reached out to them when I wasn’t able to get in touch with my nurse or wanted to speak with the doctor. They have always helped me in within the limits possible
So far around 25k Everything is out of pocket for me
Somerset
she [Dr. Shefali Shastri] looks at each patient as an individual, not as a number...She does her research on you before your appointment. She did not keep me waiting in the waiting room. She was compassionate of the intense emotional roller coaster I am going through...I'd prefer it if I was in the basking ridge office, since I'd see her more often, but overall very happy with her and RMA NJ
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She does her research on you before your appointment. She did not keep me waiting in the waiting room. She was compassionate of the intense emotional roller coaster I am going through. Her nursing staff calls regularly to check-in and handled my emergency well. Lastly, she looks at each patient as an individual, not as a number.
Dr. Shastri took the time to sit with me to fully understand my treatment. She has called me regularly to check in on my status and is well-versed in my progress and tests prior to my transfer to her.
I am currently on medication to level my insulin. I am undergoing letrizol treatment and ovidrel shots with two back to back IUI procedures.
She was my point of contact during an emergency after an IUI procedure. She was helpful, calming, and reviewed everything with me patiently.