6.9

Springfield
955 S. Springfield Avenue
Springfield, NJ 07081
973-258-4081

She [Dr. Shefali Shastri] tends to talk fast and passionately. Make sure you come prepared with questions and take notes so you do not miss anything...has excellent bedside manner and always gave us personalized attention during our visits. She made us feel comfortable with the treatment, answered questions, and acknowledged us with a warm hello anytime she saw us waiting in the office in between appointments.
Underwent IUI cycle [at RMA of New Jersey]...[The nurse] can come across as too direct at times. Communication is timely, responsive to phone and email messages, and makes sure that questions are promptly answered...They have a quick and easy sign in process including biometrics. They have set time windows for routine testing appointments which is efficient. Weekend hours and a team to backup the primary doctor are available. Weekends tend to be busy so it is important to make sure you go early in the window to avoid waiting. The very first time we tried to get an appointment with RMA, we were given incorrect information about requiring a referral. This did cause us to waste a few weeks. However, they did apologize and address their staff training when we brought it to their attention. They usually have breakfast items available for their early morning appointments which is a nice touch. Also have info on support groups and offer a free therapy session which is helpful.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
We really like Dr. Shastri and highly recommend her. She is very knowledgeable and comfortable explaining the different treatment options and protocols available. We appreciate that while she is warm and approachable, Dr. Shastri is also direct and does not set unrealistically high expectations. She clearly explained the expected success rates and how they might relate to our particular situation. Her matter-of-fact approach and answers to our detailed questions worked well for us; however we understand that they may not be for everyone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She tends to talk fast and passionately. Make sure you come prepared with questions and take notes so you do not miss anything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Shefali M. Shastri has excellent bedside manner and always gave us personalized attention during our visits. She made us feel comfortable with the treatment, answered questions, and acknowledged us with a warm hello anytime she saw us waiting in the office in between appointments.
Describe the protocols Shefali Shastri used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Underwent IUI cycle. Protocol used was: (1) Day 3 baseline ultrasound and blood work (2) Daily Follistim / Gonal-F injection starting Day 3 (3) Day 7 ultrasound and blood work (4) Ovidrel trigger at night (5) Two consecutive days of IUI following Ovidrel trigger (6) Progesterone test 7 days after IUI, followed by progesterone suppository if needed (7) Pregnancy test blood work 14 days after IUI
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lynette Cardona)
Can come across as too direct at times. Communication is timely, responsive to phone and email messages, and makes sure that questions are promptly answered.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA (both Basking Ridge and Springfield) locations are clean and organized. They have a quick and easy sign in process including biometrics. They have set time windows for routine testing appointments which is efficient. Weekend hours and a team to backup the primary doctor are available. Weekends tend to be busy so it is important to make sure you go early in the window to avoid waiting. The very first time we tried to get an appointment with RMA, we were given incorrect information about requiring a referral. This did cause us to waste a few weeks. However, they did apologize and address their staff training when we brought it to their attention. They usually have breakfast items available for their early morning appointments which is a nice touch. Also have info on support groups and offer a free therapy session which is helpful.
Describe Shefali Shastri's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Not applicable
Basking Ridge

Lynette [nurse at RMA of New Jersey] is great always calls with news and updates...Strengths very organized and have separate teams handling everything you need. Nursing staff is great as well as the medical assistants Weakness some times it’s crowded and have to wait for monitoring...[Dr. Shefali Shastri is] Always available to talk. Has called me with good news and bad news herself. Always kind...- always thoroughly explains what’s next and adjust our course of action. I feel very comfortable with her and feel she truly cares about her patients and wants success for them...We have tried gonal f, menopur for Retrieval cycle...Transfer we have tried stimulated cycle and natural cycle. Medrol Benadryl baby aspirin gonal f ovidril estradiol projesterone suppository and project in oil
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Very kind and compassionate. Great doctor - always thoroughly explains what’s next and adjust our course of action. I feel very comfortable with her and feel she truly cares about her patients and wants success for them
You’ll be lucky if she is you doctor
We have tried gonal f, menopur for Retrieval cycle Transfer we have tried stimulated cycle and natural cycle. Medrol Benadryl baby aspirin gonal f ovidril estradiol projesterone suppository and project in oil
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lynette )
Lynette is great always calls with news and updates.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey.
Insurance covered a lot thankfully but we have spent thousands out of pocket
Basking Ridge

Dr. Shastri is hopeful but realistic. She was honest with us from the beginning and makes you feel like she is going to do everything in her power to get us to where we want to be.... We were going to start with an IUI but my insurance decided not to cover it when they saw I had a partially dilated tube. Dr. Shastri did a peer to peer with my insurance provider to try to justify the coverage... We started with the protagonist protocol taking the highest dose of Gonal f and low does HCG. I wasn’t reacting to the medication but we decided to keep going as my estrogen was slowly rising
The clinic [RMA of New Jersey] feels like a well oiled machine. They are organized and quick with their processes. They also offer additional resources like counseling and support groups. I was able to get a free counseling session as a patient and they referred me to a great counselor close to my apartment.... You can tell Dr. Shastri cares. She personally made phone calls when the news was not good. She continues to give us hope.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Shastri is hopeful but realistic. She was honest with us from the beginning and makes you feel like she is going to do everything in her power to get us to where we want to be. Throughout our journey (which we are still on) she would take the time to explain all of our options, answer questions and give us her option.
Do your research and go to your consultation with questions. She will take the time to answer all of them and not make you feel rushed.
We were going to start with an IUI but my insurance decided not to cover it when they saw I had a partially dilated tube. Dr. Shastri did a peer to peer with my insurance provider to try to justify the coverage but they wouldn’t budge. We decided to move forward with IVF. We started with the protagonist protocol taking the highest dose of Gonal f and low does HCG. I wasn’t reacting to the medication but we decided to keep going as my estrogen was slowly rising. After 15 days we had one follicle that was looking good and we were planning on doing the retrieval since I have DOR and didn’t want to waste a good egg. Unfortunately at my last appointment my estrogen had gone down and Dr. Shastri didn’t want to put me under for just one egg that she didn’t think was viable anymore. She also was considerate of my insurance situation and didn’t want to use all of my coverage on the surgery that she wasn’t confident would yield the results we wanted. We took a break and are now in the process of trying the Lupron Flair protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Garth )
Jessica is empathic, organized and on top of everything. She’s great.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The clinic feels like a well oiled machine. They are organized and quick with their processes. They also offer additional resources like counseling and support groups. I was able to get a free counseling session as a patient and they referred me to a great counselor close to my apartment.
Somerset

Protocols were not aggressive [with Dr. Shastri]. Medications were conservatively increased for me. This is understandable because when I first tried clomid for my first cycle, I developed a 40 mm cyst. Dr Shastri was afraid I would develop ovarian torsion so she cancelled the cycle...When I had my IUIs, Dr Shefali Shastri did not perform any of them...does have a great positive energy and great bedside manners...is compassionate and has a great positive energy. If she would perform all treatments for her patients, I would give her 10 out of 10.
Be prepared to receive treatment from other doctors [at RMA of New Jersey]. Research and be your own advocate...I wish they would have scheduled more monitoring because I felt there were a number of times where I ovulated early and by the time I received my IUI it was too late. My nurse said they don’t rely on at home ovulation predictor tests...Nurse Lynette was great. She explained everything very well. She accommodated me by calling me after 4 pm because I leave work at 4 pm. Or she would email me in case I was not able to be reached.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Shefali Shastri is compassionate and has a great positive energy. If she would perform all treatments for her patients, I would give her 10 out of 10. But because other doctors perform the treatments, I gave 8 out of 10.
Don’t expect Dr Shefali Shastri to perform all of your IUIs or monitoring. Be prepared to receive treatment from other doctors. Research and be your own advocate.
During monitoring with other doctors scheduled for that day, I felt like a number. When I had my IUIs, Dr Shefali Shastri did not perform any of them. Other doctors that I have never met before performed the IUIs. I felt like a number with the other doctors. I can tell they did not take the time to review my chart to get to know my case a little more. I understand they have other patients to tend to. However going through this emotional rollercoaster journey of fertility, I felt Dr Shastri should have been the one to perform my IUIs. There were a few times Dr Shastri did do the monitoring because she was scheduled for that day. Other than that, Dr Shastri does have a great positive energy and great bedside manners. I wish she did my IUIs. Maybe they would have worked.
Protocols were not aggressive. Medications were conservatively increased for me. This is understandable because when I first tried clomid for my first cycle, I developed a 40 mm cyst. Dr Shastri was afraid I would develop ovarian torsion so she cancelled the cycle. I wish they would have scheduled more monitoring because I felt there were a number of times where I ovulated early and by the time I received my IUI it was too late. My nurse said they don’t rely on at home ovulation predictor tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Yes, Lynette Cardona)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
One strength RMA has is that it’s organized. Some weaknesses of RMA is that other doctors will perform some of the services. You may not see your assigned doctor at all. Be your own advocate. Also, RMA does not have a patient portal. Although your nurse or other nurses, if your nurse is out, will contact you and let you know your results from monitoring, they won’t give you a print out of your results. The only way to get your medical records is by requesting a copy of your medical records and then paying for each page up to the max $50.
I was lucky to have insurance cover all my IUIs, monitoring, HSG test, and endometrial biopsy. I had $50 copays for each visit. Mental counseling there was $175 fee paid directly to the Psychologist. This counseling session was required when using anonymous donor sperm. I believe it’s a higher cost when dealing with a known sperm donor. I had to pay $350 for genetic screening which RMA required I complete prior to starting the cycle. And then for each new donor sperm, I was required to do genetic counseling that fee was $75 each counseling session. And had to pay for donor sperm out of pocket. For my 6 IUIs, I calculated that we’ve spent a little over $10,000. My insurance covers IVF, but there’s a fertility mandate in NJ. This mandate requires me to complete a total of 12 failed IUIs before being required to cover IVF. Hopefully the law will be changed soon. My wife and I decided to do IVF at a different fertility clinic. They have a more affordable price for IVF. Just waiting for this Coronavirus shut down to end to start my cycle.
I have not done IVF yet, but from my understanding RMA will only transfer 1 embryo.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
All IUIs were performed at the Basking Ridge location. During one cycle, a major mistake happened in their Basking Ridge lab. In my previous cycles, I had California Cryobank donor sperm. In this particular cycle, I had Fairfax Cryobank donor sperm delivered. I confirmed via email with RMA the donor sperm had come from Fairfax. However, the lab documented in my file as California Cryobank. RMA even called me to confirm the correct cryobank. But someone in their lab failed to correct the information on my file. When they thawed the sperm, they used California Cryobank’s thaw procedures instead of Fairfax Cryobank’s thaw procedures thus damaging donor sperm.
Springfield
[Dr. Shefali Shastri] took a good amount of time to talk to me at the outset. I like her style and approach, which is direct but still compassionate. She practices with RMA, and in order to have doctors available 7 days a week (and on a schedule that works great for me) I see different doctors for my monitoring and procedures. It gives me comfort that I won’t miss something due to scheduling issues, given how this process works and how important timing is.
RMA has many locations and many practitioners. I find this to be very convenient. It feels like they have this down and they know what they are doing. I don’t mind feeling a bit like a number of it works...I communicate with my nurse primarily over email and I prefer it that way. It works best for my schedule...$3000 for IUI...Dr. Shastri took a good amount of time to talk to me at the outset. I like her style and approach, which is direct but still compassionate. She practices with RMA, and in order to have doctors available 7 days a week (and on a schedule that works great for me) I see different doctors for my monitoring and procedures. It gives me comfort that I won’t miss something due to scheduling issues, given how this process works and how important timing is.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Caroline)
$3000 for IUI
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
Basking Ridge
dr. Mavani [Shastri] is very compassionate . She was there to hear my concerns and adjust the treatment plan when necessary . She adjusted her schedule to fit me in for the additional testing that was required after my first FET failed... For the egg retrieval I was injecting 450 units of follistim until the egg retrieval . I wanted the option of CCS of the embryos, until I got the results I was started on a birth control pill once the results were in i was recommended a medicated FET. I was using Pio injections and oral estrace
Everyone [RMA of NJ] on the staff is very friendly and compassionate and accommodating . I have reached out to them when I wasn’t able to get in touch with my nurse or wanted to speak with the doctor. They have always helped me in within the limits possible... dr. Mavani is very compassionate . She was there to hear my concerns and adjust the treatment plan when necessary . She adjusted her schedule to fit me in for the additional testing that was required after my first FET failed
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Explore all your options and write all the questions down before your consultation
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Everyone on the staff is very friendly and compassionate and accommodating . I have reached out to them when I wasn’t able to get in touch with my nurse or wanted to speak with the doctor. They have always helped me in within the limits possible
So far around 25k Everything is out of pocket for me