U of Cincinnati

West Chester
7242 Tylers Corner
West Chester, OH 45069

Treated 2013 - 2016
The battle to conceive was long and hard but Dr A [Dr. Sherif Awadalla] kept fighting. He never gave up hope which gave us continued hope for success. He performed two D&C’svand a tubal pregnancy removal and always showed compassion. He was very candid that he thought my egg quality was the issue but gave me time and space to work through those thoughts. Ultimately he was 100% correctvand got us to the donor coordinator for further information. We gave two beautiful little girls now and are family is complete. Rainbows do come after storms.
Nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
How was your experience with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The battle to conceive was long and hard but Dr A kept fighting. He never gave up hope which gave us continued hope for success. He performed two D&C’svand a tubal pregnancy removal and always showed compassion. He was very candid that he thought my egg quality was the issue but gave me time and space to work through those thoughts. Ultimately he was 100% correctvand got us to the donor coordinator for further information. We gave two beautiful little girls now and are family is complete. Rainbows do come after storms.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He is an amazing doctor. Sometimes he can be a bit blunt but that’s just because he is trying to get you the results you are trying to achieve. Trust him he’s brilliant.
Describe the protocols Sherif Awadalla used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
PGD was prescribed with IVF after multiple IUI miscarriages with chromosome abnormalities. With PGD we discovered that 80-90% of our embryo is had issues. When healthy embryos were unsuccessful. He recommended egg donor cycle. Once we went that route we only had one cycle and now gave one fresh baby and one frozen
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Nursing staff is fantastic, doctors are knowledgeable and ahead on all current and future technology. The laboratory is best in class. I never had trouble getting in for any appointments and never had to wait for an extended period. They also have great access to resolve resource groups as well as girls night in support groups.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.
IVF with ICSI and PGD was around 12-15k and donor cycle was 20-25k. Donor cycle charges in Clyde freezing of embroyos and frozen transfer. Cycle resulted in two Singleton pregnancies.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health.
I had one instance where a phone call was late arriving with a result but a quick call to them resolved the issue.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Awadalla has taken extremely good care of me during my treatment at IRH. He has always maintained a positive outlook for our eventual outcomes and is proactive in adjusting treatments based on the results of our previous cycles. His strengths lie in his knowledge and expertise in the fertility practice as well as his bedside manner....Dr. Awadalla is very pro-single embryo transfer and anti-multi embryo transfer except in special circumstances.
Due to the size of the clinic [Inst for Repro Health] and volume of patients, there are always going to be aspects where you are a number, such as scheduling, but they've done an excellent job setting up a system and as long as you understand the system, they will meet your expectations....Call System: Don't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call. Leave a detailed message with what you need and if you have time restrictions on when you can take their return call let them know. They call you back within 24 hours 99% of the time.
Dr. Awadalla has taken extremely good care of me during my treatment at IRH. He has always maintained a positive outlook for our eventual outcomes and is proactive in adjusting treatments based on the results of our previous cycles. His strengths lie in his knowledge and expertise in the fertility practice as well as his bedside manner. At times I did feel like he was trying to protect my feelings a little too much, which I appreciate, but being a person who requires lots of details and direct communication, it did sometimes leave me uncertain or with questions. However, once I was able to gather all of my questions, I was always able to get the answers and clarity I needed. I would most certainly recommend Dr. Awadalla to any patient as I feel like we are getting the best care possible with him and IRH.
Make sure to educate yourself and do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you call back after your appointment. They process a lot of patients at IRH but they are really great about taking the necessary time with you if you ask for it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sherif Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Due to the size of the clinic and volume of patients, there are always going to be aspects where you are a number, such as scheduling, but they've done an excellent job setting up a system and as long as you understand the system, they will meet your expectations. Dr. Awadalla does an excellent job making you feel like a human. He takes his time to talk to you and answers any questions you have in a compassionate and educated manner.
Cycle 1 - Femara, Ovidrel, Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 2 - Femara, Ovidrel,Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 3 - Femara, Ovidrel,Timed Intercourse - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 4 - Femara, Ovidrel, IUI - Negative Pregnancy Test Cycle 5 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Miscarriage, D&C, Genetic Testing showed Trisomy 22 Cycle 6 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Negative Prenancy Test Cycle 7 - Femara, Gonal F (Doses of 75iu to 150 iu), Ovidrel,IUI - Miscarriage, Cytotec Cycle 8 - Birth Control, Gonal F (Doses of 175iu), Cetrotide 25iu - Terminated Cycle due to poor follicle response Cycle 9 - CoQ10 & DHEA Supplements, Gonal F (Doses of 225 iu), Menopur 75iu, Cetrotide 25iu, Ovidrel - 6 Follicles, 3 Eggs Retrieved, 3 Eggs Mature, 3 Eggs Fertilized, 2 Embryos made it to Day 5 Blast and tested with PGS, 2 Abnormal Embryos (Trisomy 6, Trisomy 9) Cycle 10 - CoQ10, DHEA & Vitamin D Supplements, Gonal F (Doses of 250 iu), Menopur 75iu, Cetrotide 25iu, Ovidrel - TBD. Will do PGS Testing again if we have embryos to test.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Institute for Reproductive Health.
The vast majority of the nurses are extremely well educated, compassionate, and very good with the patients. They've always taken time to answer my questions and they show tons of empathy in the difficult times. The head IVF Nurse Penny is absolutely incredible. I don't have enough words for how much she has helped in every aspect of our IVF process form ensuring we weren't billed too much to making sure the schedule works and answering every single question I had (or getting the answer from someone else if she didn't know). Believe me, I had a ton. There are a couple nurses (I don't know names) who I haven't meshed with all that well. I didn't necessarily take it as a reflection of their abilities, but rather that my communication style didn't mix well with theirs creating some confusion and anxiety on my end. However, overall that hasn't taken away from my experience in any way as there are tons of nurses there and they've always been awesome about referring me to another nurse if I had more questions or was worried about something. Don't be afraid to ask to talk to someone else!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Efficiency - They're a big clinic but they've got the process down to a science. Follow the process and you'll get what you need Compassion - The staff are extraordinarily compassionate. They care about your outcomes as much as you do. Knowledge/Expertise - IRH knows their stuff and does what they believe is in your best interest medically. Rotating Doctors: Don't go here and expect to have the same doctor every appointment. It's not possible. However, I will say that I have not had a bad experience with any doctor in the clinic. I feel 100% confident in the care and treatment I have gotten from each doctor there. Dr. Awadalla is my assigned doctor and he is wonderful. I have a particular soft spot for Dr. Burwinkle though as he's had to deal with some tough things with me through my treatment and he's a little more direct than Dr. A, which is good for my style. The other doctors are great too. Call System: Don't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call. Leave a detailed message with what you need and if you have time restrictions on when you can take their return call let them know. They call you back within 24 hours 99% of the time. Just follow the system.
Femara - Covered by insurance Ultrasound Scans about $300 per scan, covered by insurance IUI $250 plus cost of sperm washing (covered by husband's insurance) IUI Medications - Ordered through SMP Pharmacy $500 to $1.5K for Gonal F & Ovidrel IVF with PGS - $15,900.00 is their discounted rate and does not include medications or the PGS Testing Lab Fees (Ovation) PGS Testing Lab Fees - about $1,200 for a single cycle with 2 embryos tested, about $2200 for multi-cycle plan for up to 8 embryos tested IVF Medications - $2-5K for Gonal F, Cetrotide & Menopur per cycle
Describe Sherif Awadalla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Here's my recommendation for anyone going to IRH - Remember that you have ultimate control and decision-making authority when going through your treatment. IRH does a ton of work, but you have to do your part as well. Here are a few examples: (1) Medications - Follow up to make sure it gets sent to the pharmacy. If it doesn't, call back and make sure it gets sent. My most recent cycle, if I hadn't called to make sure it was sent, I would not have gotten my medication on time. (2) Treatments - The doctors tell you the treatment they recommend or suggest, but sometimes you have to go with what's best for you. For example, they like IVF better than Injections & IUI because the can control the outcomes better, but if IVF isn't in your budget, don't feel pressured to move to that treatment. After our Femara treatments, Dr. A recommended IVF, but we weren't yet ready to move to that treatment. So, we did a few cycles with Gonal F and IUI before moving to IVF. We eventually did move to IVF with PGS testing because we wanted to reduce the risk of miscarriage after I had 2. Another example would be during my IVF cycle, I didn't respond well to the injections and had a less than ideal follicle count. Dr. A advised us that many couples choose to pass on the PGS testing and do a fresh embryo transfer because of the inherent risk of walking away with nothing with the PGS testing, which is significantly more expensive. I was freaked out and worried for days, but went with my instincts to do the PGS testing anyway because my main goal was not to get pregnant, but to reduce the risk of miscarriage and get pregnant with a viable embryo. I'm glad I followed my instincts because both embryos ended up being abnormal. I know he was just making sure I understood all of my options, but it's important to evaluate what they're telling you against your own treatment objectives and desired outcomes. (3) Pay Attention - After my cancelled IVF Cycle due to poor response, we were getting ready to begin my 2nd cycle and the nurse pulled out my medication schedule from my first cycle. If I wouldn't have been paying attention, I would not have been taking the correct dose. Another example is from my 2nd IVF Cycle with PGS testing we were doing my pre-retrieval information review and the nurse advised us to have intercourse (big no-no with PGS testing). She was under the assumption that due to my less than ideal response we might do a fresh transfer (something I was adamant about not doing) so she started giving us instructions for that instead of PGS. I caught it but was really freaked out after that and asked to have another nurse review the information with me again. Bottom line, if something doesn't seem right or sound right, speak up and ask for clarification. They do the best they can to get you the best treatment they can, but it's also your responsibility to take charge of your care.

Treated 2012 - 2018
The first time he [Dr. Sherif Awadalla] had me on birth control before starting injection medication. I didn’t have as many eggs as he would like to have so he adjusted and took away the birth control. Then the third time he decided to add Femara. We did ICSI each time because we had male factor infertility and each time we put back 2 embryos.... He always answered any questions I had. Dr. Awadalla made sure to be gentle, and he personally would call me after treatments to find out how I was and or our next steps.
I rarely waited for any long length of time [at Institute for Reproductive Health- Cincinnati]. Even when I was taken to a room the doctor was always in pretty quickly. In order to call in to a nurse you had to leave a message but the call was always returned in a timely manner.... One nurse in particular was amazing. She comforted me when I needed it and gave me the information when I needed it. She was always understanding and even when I had what I thought was a silly request she was fine with what I needed.
I immediately felt like Dr. Awadalla was incredibly knowledgeable. I was put at ease because in my opinion he was trustworthy. My husband and I could always ask him any question. This was also how the other doctors in the office were.
I would say to trust Dr. Awadalla’s knowledge and process and know that he will do what is best for you.
The first time he had me on birth control before starting injection medication. I didn’t have as many eggs as he would like to have so he adjusted and took away the birth control. Then the third time he decided to add Femara. We did ICSI each time because we had male factor infertility and each time we put back 2 embryos.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I rarely waited for any long length of time. Even when I was taken to a room the doctor was always in pretty quickly. In order to call in to a nurse you had to leave a message but the call was always returned in a timely manner.
We did a money back guarantee. After we found out we qualified we did the guarantee that said if after 3 IVF fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles we still didn’t have a baby we would get a percentage of our money back.
Dr. Awadalla made it clear it was our choice about how many embryos we transferred.
Treated 2013 - 2018
The clinic [Institute for Repro Health] is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.... Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me.
Dr Awadalla determined why I could not conceive (missed by my GYN) and recommended surgery, which he performed. I conceived naturally in 3 cycles after that. For TTC#2, I was older and he shared his concerns with the likelihood of success. Early IUIs were successful, but did not result in live births. After 10 total IUIs, my course of treatment was only adjusted because I asked if it made sense to continue or to look at other options. We have moved on to IVF, but it is still early in the first cycle. I find Dr A to be very accurate in his assessments and knowledgeable. I trust that I am in good hands, for as much as medical science can help me at my age.
Ask a lot of questions. Dr Awadalla is happy to explain the details to patients who are interested. Also ask at what point you should have a consult to evaluate the plans, so you know what to expect.
Dr Awadalla was honest with me and my situation at every step. He was compassionate when he delivered the news that I had miscarried.
TTC #1 (age 38): Dx: uterine fibroids, blocked Fallopian tube. Tx: Myomectomy, salpingectomy (tube could not be saved and was removed). Resulted in live birth, conceived naturally in 3 cycles. TTC #2 (age 41): DX: unexplained infertility (age). Tx: IUI with 5mg Femara CD 3-7. IUIs 1 and 4 resulted in pregnancy, but not live birth. Likely due to poor egg quality. Repeated for IUI 5-8 because successful getting pregnant, but waiting for a better quality egg. For IUI 9 and 10, added Follistim (IUI 9: CD 7-10, 50IU; IUI 10: CD 7-11, 100IU). BFN. Given option to select surgery to recheck remaining Fallopian tube or IVF. Started IVF. Currently on CD 9: 5mg Femara CD 3-7, Gonal-F 300IU CD5-10, Cetritide CD10, rest of days/dosage TBD.
Most of the nurses that I have dealt with have been wonderful. They are familiar with the treatment regimens and able to answer questions. When I did call to report a Day 1 and ask if we should continue with the same approach, the nurse I spoke to told me it was up to me. When I counted that I would like a recommendation from the experts, she continued to tell me that it was up to me. I had to push to have Dr Awadalla contacted to give input. When he called me, he actually had a different recommendation, so I felt validated in pushing. That has been the only interaction that I was not satisfied with, however.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is organized, clean and runs well. The low-tech billing seems to happen very rapidly. The IVF billing seems to be delayed, which means a longer delay before I can check the claims status online with my insurance company.
With insurance (assuming deductible was paid and yearly maximum for benefits not met), an IUI cycle was roughly $75 out of pocket, not including medications.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
I believe there was one time that the clinic had not called in a prescription refill before I had contacted the pharmacy to order. However, I am not 100% sure that I recall this correctly!
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Awadalla was so warm. He always seems excited to see me. He is open and direct, while also taking emotions into account... I have PCOS. I took progestin to induce a period and then took Femara for (I believe) about a week. Then I went in for an ultrasound to determine if my follicles were ready. As they were, that night my husband gave me a triggering shot in the thigh and the next morning we went to the Cincinnati office to collect my husbands sample and complete the IUI.
Both the Cincinnati and Florence locations of the clinic [IRH] are clean and organized. The Cincinnati location in particular is actually quite beautiful! The environment is warm and professional, with elegant furniture and a clean space.... The nursing staff is always friendly and knowledgeable. Prior to conceiving my first born, they always showed compassion and interest. Once I had conceived, before being released to my OBGYN, the nurses were always quick and happy to answer the many questions I had and to offer comfort and understanding for my concerns.
Dr. Awadalla is wonderful: he is both kind and extremely knowledgeable. My experience conceiving my first son was vastly different from attempts with a previous doctor. I felt Dr. Awadalla was taking care of me and my family rather than just trying to help us get pregnant.
GO FOR IT!
Dr. Awadalla was so warm. He always seems excited to see me. He is open and direct, while also taking emotions into account. Our whole infertility experience changed when we went into his office.
I have PCOS. I took progestin to induce a period and then took Femara for (I believe) about a week. Then I went in for an ultrasound to determine if my follicles were ready. As they were, that night my husband gave me a triggering shot in the thigh and the next morning we went to the Cincinnati office to collect my husbands sample and complete the IUI. We found out several weeks later that we were pregnant with our son. We are now preparing to attempt baby number two and will follow the same process, minus the progestin as I have had a period since I stopped breastfeeding my son.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Both the Cincinnati and Florence locations of the clinic are clean and organized. The Cincinnati location in particular is actually quite beautiful! The environment is warm and professional, with elegant furniture and a clean space.
Florence
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr.A looks at patient history and determines the best course of treatment. He does not just recommend things to make money. He told me it’s nlt necessary to do PGS and that he wants IVF to be affordable. He is compassionate and explains things when asked questions. After my negative Beta he called me to talk to me and I truly appreciated it because it was a Saturday...He is compassionate and monitored me during my cycle closely and I felt I received good care that put me at ease. I highly recommend him.
The doctors and nurses [at Institute for Reproductive Health] are compassionate. The most difficult part is working with the business office for payments and getting questions answered. They hardly return calls in a timely manner. I felt they could explain the embryo transfer decisions in advance to coming in on transfer day and letting you know if you do or don’t need ICSI it egg hatching... they give a discount if it’s self pay.
Dr.A is great at answering questions or concerns so make a list and ask him at appointments.
Dr.Awadalla is a very knowledgeable and caring Doctor. Although my IVF cycle didn’t yield the positive test I dreamed of, I am ready to try again if I had the money. He is compassionate and monitored me during my cycle closely and I felt I received good care that put me at ease. I highly recommend him.
I was precribed follistim and ganirelex and trigger shot, Prior to that I was started on birth control.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Katie )
The nurse at my retrieval was gentle and caring and put me at ease.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The doctors and nurses are compassionate. The most difficult part is working with the business office for payments and getting questions answered. They hardly return calls in a timely manner. I felt they could explain the embryo transfer decisions in advance to coming in on transfer day and letting you know if you do or don’t need ICSI it egg hatching.
I was self pay and they give a discount if it’s self pay.
Although I wanted 2 transferred, Dr.A only recommended one and explained the risks of two.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The business office is difficult to reach. Other than that the clinic is great!
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. A[wadalla] gave me the options that I needed, a box of Kleenex, and let me cry in his office until I was ready to leave. He has also called me himself, and asked me not to give up because the embryos we have now are high quality, and he believes that we will have a healthy pregnancy...He has always called me by my first name, and he doesn't have to look at my chart to remember my history.
When I have called [the nurses at Institute for Reproductive Health], and been sent to voicemail they always have called me back in a timely fashion, and any paperwork that I have needed has also been sent quickly...The nursing staff works very hard, yet they always have a smile on their faces. When we received that dreaded phone call that says "I'm so sorry, but your test was negative," the nurses were compassionate, and disappointed along with us. You can just tell that phone call is one that they absolutely do not like making. It is not routine to them.
Dr. Awadalla has great bed side manners, patience, and compassion for his patients. He gives time to explain what needs to be explained, and questions that need to be answered. He also abides by our wishes. I have a very short stature, one of the first things that I told Dr. A was that I was not ok transferring more than two embryos. Dr. A completely understood, and actually the clinics policy is to only transfer one or two embryos.
I would tell a prospective patient to be ready. Dr. A and his team are on it. It's a tough journey, but it can also be a quick journey. After meds, and cycles are figured out its a whirl wind from there. Everything with fertility has to be timed just right, and from my experiences Dr. A has timed it just right. I would also tell them to listen to the doctors, they know what they are doing.
He has always called me by my first name, and he doesn't have to look at my chart to remember my history. When we did get pregnant, and we went for the first ultra sound he asked us to come to his office, told us delicately that we would only have a 50% chance to carry the baby because of a small sack. After the second ultrasound he said "go ahead get dressed, and meet me in my office." I told Dr. A that I didn't want to meet in his office because last time we didn't get good news. He complied, let me get dressed, and he came back into our room. We found out that the baby had a heart beat, but the sack was just getting smaller. Dr. A then gave us a 25% chance. He let us come back for a third ultrasound. and that's when we found out that the baby no longer had a heartbeat. Dr. A gave me the options that I needed, a box of Kleenex, and let me cry in his office until I was ready to leave. He has also called me himself, and asked me not to give up because the embryos we have now are high quality, and he believes that we will have a healthy pregnancy.
Both my cycles have been very similar. I have started off with about 17 days of birth control. I was then off three days, and than I started injections for 10 days. I had injected Gonal F, Menopur, and Centrotide. I can't remember which injection out of the three, but he only added it during my second cycle. After that, I had taken my trigger shot. He also had me taking Estrodial and Progesterone. I was taking those two even after my transfer.
The nursing staff works very hard, yet they always have a smile on their faces. When we received that dreaded phone call that says "I'm so sorry, but your test was negative," the nurses were compassionate, and disappointed along with us. You can just tell that phone call is one that they absolutely do not like making. It is not routine to them. When I have called, and been sent to voicemail they always have called me back in a timely fashion, and any paperwork that I have needed has also been sent quickly.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The strengths I would hit on when I talked to a new patient would be about waiting. I would tell the patient that the wait time is not long. They get us in and out in a timely manner. I would also tell them that their opinions do matter, and their wants also matter to this medical team. The weakness that would hit on would be about awkward situations. Fertility procedures can get awkward. This is something that they do every day, not much can surprise them. An example, when my husband went in to give a sample of his sperm, we were taken back when the nurse asked, "Would your wife like to join you." Yes we are all adults, but that was just not something that we thought would be asked or even thought about. To them though, it happens, and its ok.
I don't remember the full cost, but I believe around $8200 for a fresh cycle, and $7000 for a frozen cycle.
The Cincinnati of Reproductive Health approach on multiple embryo transfer is most usually only two at the most, but from my experience if the embryos are high quality they only like to transfer one.
Treated 2016 - 2017
The nursing staff [at IRH-Cincinnati] always responded quickly when I called the office. I had a terrible time with my insurance and the specialty pharmacy it used to get my injections and the nursing staff handled it very well (even though I probably drove them nuts calling so much). I had to come in on several saturdays for IUIs and the staff was always friendly and welcoming. They never made me feel like an inconvenience.
Dr Awadalla was compassionate, easy to talk to, thorough in his explanations, so easy going he made us feel like there was no doubt we would get pregnant, and very knowledgeable. Every time we came in after a failed attempt we would review the statistics of the treatments, form a plan for the next cycle and he would hand write the exact dosages of medications I needed to take and when. He would also draw little cartoons/symbols indicating us getting pregnant at the end. He really helped keep our stress levels down while giving us all the facts we needed which is not an easy task. Even though I didn’t see him every visit I saw him most of the time. The other doctors and NP were also very good so I never felt uncomfortable having them do a treatment for me.
You are in the best place for getting pregnant. It’s an emotionally difficult journey (sometimes physically difficult), so going in make sure you ask questions. Dr Awadalla is very approachable and smart so knowing all the facts will help put you at ease a bit.
Dr Awadalla was excellent. Our first first visit we were emotionally drained and frustrated. Dr Awadalla did an ultrasound and reviewed the tests from my OB and then took an hour to explain what was causing our infertility, answered our questions, and formed a plan to help get us pregnant. He was easy to talk to and really made us feel at ease and hopeful. Every time I went in for an IUI it was like he knew exactly how I was feeling and knew what to say to make us confident to continue treatments. He even called me on my cell phone once to help me to decide my next step in treatment. He is excellent!
We tried a new treatment every three months until I got pregnant. It was explained to me that after three rounds of a treatment not working statistically my chances of getting pregnant with that treatment dramatically decreased. I started taking metformin daily to help counteract some of my hormones with PCOS. So first I did oral medication and IUI for three rounds, then Injections and orals for three months and got pregnant on the third round. We started with oral medication and IUI first because I had tried oral medication and timed intercourse for three months with no result with my OB. I also switched from clomid to femara with Dr Awadalla because I did not ovulate with my third round of clomid. Every time we did a cycle before I took my ovulation injection Dr Awadalla did an ultrasound to verify how many healthy eggs I had so I didn’t have too many or too little. That also helped him adjust my medication doses as needed. So after 6 IUIs 3 with orals and three with injections I got pregnant and now have twin boys:)
The nursing staff always responded quickly when I called the office. I had a terrible time with my insurance and the specialty pharmacy it used to get my injections and the nursing staff handled it very well (even though I probably drove them nuts calling so much). I had to come in on several saturdays for IUIs and the staff was always friendly and welcoming. They never made me feel like an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was wonderfully decorated with big windows in the waiting room. The lab was right down the hall so we didn’t have to travel far to pick up our specimens. Almost every time I was there I was taken back early and never had to wait past my appointment.
My insurance and my husbands insurance covered most of the cost.
We never had to do IVF.
Treated 2012 - 2017
As much as he [Dr. Awadalla] wants to be successful at helping you conceive, he can be a bit too optimistic. He doesn't seem to fully understand that not everyone has the financial capabilities to just keep moving forward with treatments...Dr. Awadalla was very personable and seemed to empathize with me each time my cycle was not successful...Although I have been unable to conceive under his care, I highly recommend him. My only complaint is that he can be a bit too optimistic. I prefer to be told the blunt truth, even if it is negative.
Very nice clinic area. No complaints about the clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] itself...Some of the nurses were great, while others were disorganized. I had 2 different nurses on 2 separate occasions give me incorrect medication dosage and timing. I corrected them based on what Dr. Awadalla had told me which they then confirmed...Dr Awadalla is a very personable and compassionate RE. Although I have been unable to conceive under his care, I highly recommend him. My only complaint is that he can be a bit too optimistic. I prefer to be told the blunt truth, even if it is negative.
As much as he wants to be successful at helping you conceive, he can be a bit too optimistic. He doesn't seem to fully understand that not everyone has the financial capabilities to just keep moving forward with treatments.
Dr. Awadalla was very personable and seemed to empathize with me each time my cycle was not successful. As a private person, I usually do not get emotional until I am alone at home. The last cycle he said to me, "I know this was a hard one for you and I was really hoping to have good news for you today."
IUIs- Femara with Ovidrel trigger- all negative. 1st IVF - follistim, menopur, Ganarelix, ovidrel, progesterone - cancelled due to poor response 2nd IVF - femara, follistim, menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel, progesterone. - 2 eggs retrieved, 2 embryos, 0 transferred due to poor quality.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Very nice clinic area. No complaints about the clinic itself
My IUIs were covered by insurance, $40 copay + $100 meds. IVF - ~$14000 (including meds and ICSI)
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
As I stated in a previous reply, there were 2 instances where nurses dud not relay the correct medication information.

Treated 2016
[Dr. Awadalla] looks at everyone individually and works for what is best in their situation...He looked at my small stature and told me from the beginning that we were going to try for a single birth...told me we could transfer two embryos if we demanded it but he highly recommended just one embryo transfer...He gave me realistic expectations while still making me hopeful. And he also knew when to slow me down and recommended waiting for all of the hormone shots to have time to get out of my body, and to do an initial frozen transfer once I was feeling better after he egg retrieval.
I remember the egg retrieval day [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. A massive snow storm was supposed to hit and emergency personnel for the city were already on call. I phoned the clinic the night before terrified that the roads would be too bad and hat the clinic would be closed. They assured me no matter what they would be there (I couldn’t believe it. They understood how much money I had spent on meds and how much till this had taken on my body). They knew that if we missed he window the egg retrieval wouldn’t be possible. At one point the nurse told me that if hey had to have the police pick them up and take them in they would be there.
I met Dr. Awadalla at a time in my life where I had almost given up that hope of being a mom. He sat me down and told me we could do this and if I trusted the process and listened to what they told me he had full confidence that IVf would work for us. He knew how much I wanted a baby, and after the egg retrieval I was counting down the days for the implant day. He looked at me as a whole person and sat me down and explained that based on new research and based on my labs he truly felt that we should wait until my body had time to recover. I remember being devastated to wait another month but I trusted him so we waited. As the hormones subsided I started feeling much better and I started to understand his decision. In March of 2016 on our frozen implant day I felt good and ready; and 9 months later I was holding my sweet baby boy. I can never ever thank him enough for what he did for our family.
Trust him. Trust him. If he tells you you need to wait it is for a reason. If he wants to change a med in the middle of a cycle there is a reason. Because he looks at everyone individually and works for what is best in their situation. Infertility is not an exact science and we have to be willing our give into the process. If you trust dr Awadalla he will do everything in his power to get you to the sweet baby.
Every visit someone (usually Dr. Awadalla sat down with me and explained each step of the process). He gave me realistic expectations while still making me hopeful. And he also knew when to slow me down and recommended waiting for all of the hormone shots to have time to get out of my body, and to do an initial frozen transfer once I was feeling better after he egg retrieval. THis resulted in my son. I will never be able to thanks him enough.
We had already tried clomid and IUI before meeting with Dr Awadalla so he knew from the beginning we were there for IVF. He never pushed me on that matter. He started to explain to me the process and the risks. He looked at my small stature and told me from the beginning that we were going to try for a single birth (which was exactly what we wanted). I am a pharmacist so all of the drugs and the process made sense to me, but what I didn’t expect was after the egg retrieval how bad I would fee. I thought ‘this surgery doesn’t involved any cutting I will be fine the next day. That was not the case. But I pushed on and was ready to implant ASAP. But he sat me down and told me he thought that we should wait. That we should freeze our embryos and let my body rest and get back to normal. He suggested his based on research he had just learned from a conference. At the time I was devastated but I listened and gave into the process. A month later we did one frozen transefer which 9 months later resulted in my son. He was so right. I felt good throughout my whole pregnancy and had no complications. My son is almost 2 and I look at him in awe sometimes. Without Dr awadalla he would not be here and I cannot imagine that
They were always very sweet and very easy to work with.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They were so easy to work with and explained things so well and never once made me feel bad for calling back and asking any question I needed. They also Have an office located in northern Kentucky (and since I was traveling from Lexington Ky) they tried to fit in as many appointment in the northern Ky office as possible instead of having to go into Ohio each time. I remember the egg retrieval day. A massive snow storm was supposed to hit and emergency personnel for the city were already on call. I phoned the clinic the night before terrified that the roads would be too bad and hat the clinic would be closed. They assured me no matter what they would be there (I couldn’t believe it. They understood how much money I had spent on meds and how much till this had taken on my body). They knew that if we missed he window the egg retrieval wouldn’t be possible. At one point the nurse told me that if hey had to have the police pick them up and take them in they would be there. Probably about 4 hours after my retrieval we got 16 inches of snow. And at the time I thought of people scheduled the day after me and knew that hey would be taken care of. That to me was such a blessing.
I was able to purchase a plan that was basically the price of two IVF procedures but guaranteed that we could have 6 tries under that price. That was amazing for us because it took away the pressure of ‘what if it doesn’t work the first time’. It’s been several years but I also believe if it didn’t work after 6 tries you got over half your money back. I can tell you after my son was born I never once again thought of that money, but at the time it made the process less stressful.
Dr awadalla told me we could transfer two embryos if we demanded it but he highly recommended just one embryo transfer based on my stature. I was prepared for thre possibility of twins and knew that two embryos would increase our odds but I listened to him and I’m glad I did. Having one baby was perfect for our family and was an easy pregnancy for me.
Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr. A was very patient with us and always answered all our questions. He [Dr. Awadalla] took my ideas, questions and suggestions into consideration rather than just ignoring me. During an unexplained infertility diagnosis, you feel like you have no control, but Dr. A did a great job of listening to us and our ideas, which made me feel like I gained back some control during our medical journey.
The nurses always called back promptly for all messages I left and knew my file/case....They [Institute for Reproductive Health] were very timely with their visits, which was so appreciated during the numerous visits requiring missing work, etc.... I rarely had to wait longer than 10 min in the lobby....The nurses were always efficient... I always recommend IRH and dr. A to others experiencing infertility...
Dr. A made our dream of becoming parents come true. I am thankful for him everyday. Our journey with Dr. A was about a year and a half, which can is much longer than I had originally expected. However, he never lost hope in our case which helped me stay positive. He was always honest, straightforward and can be blunt, which I appreciate. When it came to our chances of conceiving, I appreciated honesty. There were many times I became frustrated with our unsuccessful results, but Dr. A was very good about setting a new plan and explaining the changes he would make from the last unsuccessful try. This was always helpful to me so I knew we weren’t just throwing money and time away while trying the same thing over and over. Dr. A was always very professional and is very experienced. He truly wants to see you conceive and does his best to make your dream successful.
Dr. A will be honest with your chance of success, so make sure you are ready to hear that. Also be sure you understand the medical plan and don’t be afraid to ask questions until you understand everything. Dr. A never rushed us and made sure we were on the same page for the plan moving forward.
Dr. A was very patient with us and always answered all our questions. He took my ideas, questions and suggestions into consideration rather than just ignoring me. During an unexplained infertility diagnosis, you feel like you have no control, but Dr. A did a great job of listening to us and our ideas, which made me feel like I gained back some control during our medical journey.
Follistim with menopur on ivf #3 did the trick for me. The menopur was what really improved the quality of eggs retrieved.
The nurses were always efficient, which I valued since I traveled three hours round trip to the doctor. The nurses always called back promptly for all messages I left and knew my file/case.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I never realized how efficient and timely IRH clinic was until under care at a new clinic now (closer to home). I traveled 3 hours round trip to IRH and I rarely had to wait longer than 10 min in the lobby. They were very timely with their visits, which was so appreciated during the numerous visits requiring missing work, etc. Aside from the distance from my home, I would go back to IRH in a heartbeat. I’m now trying for baby #2 and really struggled to decide whether I should use the new clinic 10 min from my home, or IRH which I trusted and had success. I always recommend IRH and dr. A to others experiencing infertility and wish I lived closer to Cincinnati.
I had wonderful infertility insurance, so each ivf cycle was approximately $1,000.
Dr. A always told us the quality and quantity of our embryos, gave his recommendation for quantity to transfer, but left the final decision up to us.
Treated 2014 - 2016
I absolutely loved every appointment there [at Cincinnati Fertility]. He [Dr Sherif Awadalla] always took the time to explain anything I didn't understand an d address any concerns I had. Our next plan of action was always in place when we left after a failed cycle. He's a very compassionate man and always gives us hope....His plan of action were more aggressive than my previous doctor. I feel he is very knowledgeable in the infertility field and will do everything in your best interest to help you conceive.
I absolutely loved every appointment there [at Cincinnati Fertility]. He [Dr Sherif Awadalla] always took the time to explain anything I didn't understand an d address any concerns I had. Our next plan of action was always in place when we left after a failed cycle. He's a very compassionate man and always gives us hope.We have NO infertility coverage. IUI's generally cost us $2500, the biggest expense being medicines. Our IVF plan is a money-back grantee. We paid $17,500 (plus the cost of meds) We get 3 fresh cycles and 3 frozen cycles. If we do not have a live birth we get 70% of our money back.
I absolutely loved every appointment there. He always took the time to explain anything I didn't understand an d address any concerns I had. Our next plan of action was always in place when we left after a failed cycle. He's a very compassionate man and always gives us hope.
He's a very compassionate man. His plan of action were more aggressive than my previous doctor. I feel he is very knowledgeable in the infertility field and will do everything in your best interest to help you conceive.
He was VERY compassionate and reassuring at every appointment.
We did 5 IUI's with Follistim and ovidrel trigger. After no luck, we decided that IVF would be our best option. Our first IVF cycle was cancelled due to over stimulation. I have PCOS and over stim very quickly. He monitored me closely for three days and decided it would be best to cancel the cycle to avoid OHSS. With our 2nd cycle he reduced my follistim, my does range anywhere from 175IU to 225IU. He also worked with pharmacy companies to get me discounts on the med and samples to save me some money on our next cycle. It's hard to find a happy medium with my condition. We retrieved 17 eggs, 13 fertilized and 10 made it to freeze. We decided that it was best to freeze all of our eggs and do a FET, to prevent pregnancy induced OHSS. Our first transfer (1 embryo) resulted in a miscarriage at 5 1/2 weeks. We are currently in our TWW with our 2nd transfer (2 embryos).
Amazing, compassionate, the best ever! I loved working with them. They truly care about you and are more than eager to help you with any problem.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They are very knowledgeable about treatment plans and helping you find out what works best to achieve success.
Treated 2015
He [Dr. Sherif Awadalla] does treat a lot of patients and is very busy, so I didn't always feel that I was able to ask him all of my questions (I often have a lot of questions!), but he also has a knowledgeable staff who were able to pick up the slack in that area...extremely knowledgeable and candid doctor. I felt like he took my treatments very seriously and carefully assessed our issues when planning our IVF cycles. I think he was genuinely surprised and disappointed when the first fresh cycle failed, and he made adjustments to our treatment for the second cycle, which resulted in the birth of our son.
The nurses at IRH are caring, compassionate and extremely knowledgeable. They always answered my questions clearly and made sure I understood each step along the way. The only weakness is the phone answering system. You always have to leave a message and have your phone call returned.... I participated in the money-back IVF program. It was $17,900 for up to three fresh cycles and three frozen cycles. If treatment didn't result in a live birth, I would have received a 70% refund. My medications were an additional expense. I believe I spent about $1800 on medications for my first cycle and $2200 for my second cycle.
Dr. Awadalla is an extremely knowledgeable and candid doctor. I felt like he took my treatments very seriously and carefully assessed our issues when planning our IVF cycles. I think he was genuinely surprised and disappointed when the first fresh cycle failed, and he made adjustments to our treatment for the second cycle, which resulted in the birth of our son. He does treat a lot of patients and is very busy, so I didn't always feel that I was able to ask him all of my questions (I often have a lot of questions!), but he also has a knowledgeable staff who were able to pick up the slack in that area.
Prioritize your questions before your appointments to make sure you get to the most pressing ones.
Dr. Awadalla, his partners and the nurses in his practice are kind, compassionate professionals. I felt like they really cared about me and were just as upset when our first IVF cycle failed and just as happy when our second succeeded!
For my first cycle (which was unsuccessful), I used birth control to start, then I stimmed with Follistim, then added Cetrotide and triggered with Ovidrel. For my second cycle (which as successful), I used the same medications with the addition of Menopur during the stimming period.
The nurses at IRH are caring, compassionate and extremely knowledgeable. They always answered my questions clearly and made sure I understood each step along the way. The only weakness is the phone answering system. You always have to leave a message and have your phone call returned. I was working full time during my treatments, and I didn't have a private office, so it was sometimes stressful to have to take unplanned return phone calls during the work day.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
One of IRH's greatest strengths is the free support group they offer patients. They offer a Ladies Night In one evening a month with yoga, a light supper and group support, and they also have a very active private Facebook group. I found the support from other patients so helpful during my treatment. IRH's website is also excellent. It provides so much information about infertility, the treatment options they offer, their success rates, and the cost of treatment. Really, the only weakness I can think of is the IVF nurse phone answering system (not being able to reach anyone directly and always having to have your phone calls returned).
My health insurance covered my initial consultation and diagnostic tests, but all of my treatment costs were out of pocket. I participated in the money-back IVF program. It was $17,900 for up to three fresh cycles and three frozen cycles. If treatment didn't result in a live birth, I would have received a 70% refund. My medications were an additional expense. I believe I spent about $1800 on medications for my first cycle and $2200 for my second cycle.
At my initial consultation, Dr. Awadalla specifically said that he preferred single transfers when possible and that he didn't see multiples as a preferred outcome. However, he did recommend transferring two embryos for both of my cycles, and we followed his advice.
Treated 2015
Dr. Awadalla is very good at what he does. He is very knowledgeable and knows what best in your interest. He was never hesitant and was very reassuring to me and the procedure. He was very optimistic and never once was doubtful. If someone is looking for a dr that has bed side manners, knowledgeable, and a expertise in fertility he would be the one to see.... I had hormone injections for a couple weeks for egg retrieval then waited five days and had the embryo transfer, couple weeks later I had a blood test for pregnancy and it was positive.
This clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] has very positive attitudes and compassion in what they do. They let it be known that they want to help you achieve your miracle. They are there for you every step of the process. They also offer a support group which is very helpful during the time of treatments. I can’t say enough about this clinic. It’s outstanding!... Nurses were very helpful, they returned calls pretty quickly and answered questions if they knew the answers. They were there to help you and cheer you on.
He will not let you down. He will help you in every way he can and explain everything along the way. He has a very positive attitude and very caring in what he does. If you want to be in very good hand and achieve your miracles I would give Dr. Awadalla a call.
He was very knowledgeable in explaining the procedure and very optimistic in what he was doing.
I had hormone injections for a couple weeks for egg retrieval then waited five days and had the embryo transfer, couple weeks later I had a blood test for pregnancy and it was positive. I had two ultrasounds with Dr. Awadalla to make sure baby was growing and doing well and after that he released me to my ob/gyn.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This clinic has very positive attitudes and compassion in what they do. They let it be known that they want to help you achieve your miracle. They are there for you every step of the process. They also offer a support group which is very helpful during the time of treatments. I can’t say enough about this clinic. It’s outstanding!
I done a fresh ivf cycle which was around 8,000 and then around 3,000 for medicine/injections.
They were very persistent in only transferring one strong embryo.
Treated 2012 - 2015
Went on to IVF and my first two cycles were cancelled [with Dr. Sherif Awadalla]. We removed birth control before stimulation and my third cycle made it to retrieval and ended in a chemical pregnancy. We did 5 more cycles after, 1 of which made it to retrieval before realizing my body just didnt respond well on any protocol even those that had made it to retrieval before...He was determined to find the reason for my infertility and failed cycles. He said to me once that my case was 99 percent more difficult than most, but he was gonna solve it.
I could go [for monitoring at Institute for Reproductive Health] when most convienant for me...Our money back Ivf program was around 20,000. Our split DE cycle was 12,500...Strengths would be knowledge and success. Weakness would be waiting for calls back when calling for a question. I understand they are extremely busy and not sure of a different solution though...Penny wasnt always my primary nurse but she took it upon herself to always help me or answer any questions when I was there. She was amazing!
Dr. Awadalla was a very thorough and compassionate doctor. Even though we tried many many cycles, he never made me feel like I was a science experiment. He never wanted to put me through a retrieval he felt would fail, and even though the devastation of failed cycle over and over was very difficult, It was better than going through with a cycle that just wasnt going to work.
Trust him and his plan. Even when you may question his reasoning, and when things get difficult he knows what hes doing such as cancelled cycles.
We started with iui and femara. Then iui with injectables. Went on to IVF and my first two cycles were cancelled. We removed birth control before stimulation and my third cycle made it to retrieval and ended in a chemical pregnancy. We did 5 more cycles after, 1 of which made it to retrieval before realizing my body just didnt respond well on any protocol even those that had made it to retrieval before.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Penny)
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Health.
I could go when most convienant for me. Even though it was a 1.5 hour one way trip I was able to go first thing and make it back in time for work at 10AM.
Our money back Ivf program was around 20,000. Our split DE cycle was 12,500.
When the embryo quality was not great he was fine with multiple embryo transfer. However during my DE cycle where the embryo quality was GREAT, they strongly suggested only transfering one.
Treated 2015
At every appointment [with Dr. Sherif Awadalla] if we had concerns about our failed IUI cycles, we were not pushed away or treated as just another infertile couple, but as people with valid issues that needed to be resolved... Dr. Awadalla has one of the best bedside manners I have ever seen... Dr. Awadalla definitely eases the burden this painful issue through joking...I always felt my questions and concerns were answered and that I was in a place where the right people were there to help me continue to build my family.
Heather [nurse] is an outstanding, compassionate, delightful, warm, personable nurse who made us feel welcome the very first day of our appointment at Institute for Reproductive Health...One of the best strengths they have is that the team of Drs. and staff work cohesively and show some of the best bedside manner I have ever seen. I would also like to add that they are very patient with you when it comes to the payment process...It was $16,500 for the IVF... $100 added quarterly for embryo storage. It was between $1000 to $1,500 for medications.
Right off the bat, Dr, Awadalla and his staff at Institution for Reproductive Health, made us feel welcome and that we mattered. At every appointment if we had concerns about our failed IUI cycles, we were not pushed away or treated as just another infertile couple, but as people with valid issues that needed to be resolved. We suggested moving onto IVF and a staff member said. "we need to step up our game." I had reservations about my IVF cycle due to the number of eggs retrieved and he reassured me that IVF is not a numbers game but a way to get you there. Dr. Awadalla said, "it's not about the number of eggs we retrieve, but about getting pregnant now." Dr. Awadalla has one of the best bedside manners I have ever seen. He is funny, insightful and brilliant! If we had not of switched over to Institute for Reproductive Health when we did, we not have conceived our beautiful daughter and had the pleasure of knowing such a wonderful Dr and staff. Thank You a million times! Looking forward to going back in the near future.
Laughter is the best medicine during a trying time such as infertility no matter the cause. Dr. Awadalla definitely eases the burden this painful issue through joking. My advice, be cautiously optimistic because if you do not laugh you will cry. You can put your faith in Dr. Awadalla because he will help you through your journey.
No Birth Control. Start Lupron 10 QD (Sub Q) in PM on Cycle Day 21, CD 32 appointment for blood work and follicle check, continue with Lupron 10 adding Gonal F 150 AQ (Sub Q) in AM on Cycle Day 33. CD 37 another blood work appointment with follicle check. Continue with Gonal F 150 for a total of 10 days from Cycle day 33-43. On CD 41alst blood work up with follicle check. On cycle day 43 Trigger with Ovidrel 250 in PM. CD 44 No Shots. CD 46 - Egg Retrieval Day! 11 retrieved, 5 matured, 5 fertilized. No ICSI, Natural Fertilization. Start Endometrin 100 mgs 3x's per day on CD 47. CD 51 Embryo Transfer of two blastocyst. Two week wait continue with Endometrin. On 12dp5dt beta test results revealed Positive. On 13dp5dt start Endometrin 100 mgs 2x's per day. At 6 weeks of pregnancy attend first ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Heather is an outstanding, compassionate, delightful, warm, personable nurse who made us feel welcome the very first day of our appointment at Institute for Reproductive Health. She immediately introduced herself and waved to us as we were backing out of the parking lot. I had concerns about reasons we were not conceiving this time around she said,"there is no reason based on your medical history IVF should not work because the infertility issue is mechanical." I secretly tested using Clear Blue Easy and told no one not even my husband of the results. The day I had my blood drawn to test my BETA levels, I requested she called me with the results. She called me back with a congratulations. She is literally one of the best nurses I have ever encountered and when we go back we'll definitely request to work with her.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
In terms of weaknesses, I would say the location may be an issue if you are located further away from the Montgomery/Cincinnati area. The cost of IVF is costly enough, but if there was a way for all states to mandate coverage then this would be a benefit to all people out there suffering with infertility. I also think they should have a room set up with a day-care. We found it difficult to find someone to watch our daughter on a Saturday morning to get our first IVF cycle achieved. We ended up taking our daughter with us and my husband went in first while I waited in the car, then I went in. I wanted him to be in the room with me during the retrieval process. One of the best strengths they have is that the team of Drs. and staff work cohesively and show some of the best bedside manner I have ever seen. I would also like to add that they are very patient with you when it comes to the payment process.
It was $16,500 for the IVF but with insurance it came out to be $1,250 with $100 added quarterly for embryo storage. It was between $1000 to $1,500 for medications.
Treated 2012
When I came to Dr Awadalla I was in a bad place since I had recently experienced 2 failed IVF attempts. I was convinced I would never have children. The first time we met I said something about "if I have a baby" and he said "No, Mrs. K****, when we have a baby". He made me feel like I was his only patient every appointment. He never rushed me, always took extra time and answered all my questions. So very thankful I had the opportunity to be his patient!
I went to both the Northern Ky and Cincinnati offices (mostly Cincinnati) [of IRH] they were both very clean and everyone was very nice. Always willing to explain or answer any questions we had. On the day of the egg retrieval and sperm donation, somehow my husbands appointment did not get put on the schedule! We were understanding since everyone makes mistakes but we also were concerned that he wouldn't be able to do. The staff assured us that they would handle everything and they did. Things went on smoothly and all was well!
My course of treatment went pretty smoothly until after the egg retrieval. That night I was in horrible abdominal pain and could not stand up. It was after hours and I called the emergency line. He immediately called me himself and explained what he thought was happening and asked me to come in the next morning. I drove in from Louisville and sure enough it was what he thought. I had so many eggs removed and the sacs had filled with fluid causing a great deal of pressure. He said if the swelling did not go down we would not be able to the transfer as planned and would have to freeze the embryos. I was devastated to say the least. He asked me to come back in 2 days to re-examine and see how things looked. When I returned he said I looked great and we could go ahead with the transfer, yippee!!! Several weeks later we received a call that we were in fact pregnant, I could not believe it. When we returned back to the office for an ultrasound he said "Well the good news is there is only 2!" I had always imagined myself with twins and thanks to Dr. Awadalla, my dreams were becoming a reality!
For me, the biggest reason we did not see him sooner was location. I am in Louisville and the thought of driving to Cincinnati for all those appointments seemed a little crazy. After 2 unsuccessful IVF attempts with a local Dr, I made the consultation and we drove up. After our first meeting I could have kicked myself for not having seen him sooner. He is the best!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I went to both the Northern Ky and Cincinnati offices (mostly Cincinnati) they were both very clean and everyone was very nice. Always willing to explain or answer any questions we had. On the day of the egg retrieval and sperm donation, somehow my husbands appointment did not get put on the schedule! We were understanding since everyone makes mistakes but we also were concerned that he wouldn't be able to do. The staff assured us that they would handle everything and they did. Things went on smoothly and all was well!
They were high, but not any higher than what we had already paid at a local office.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Health?
My husbands sperm donation appointment did not get scheduled on the day of my egg retrieval. They handled everything very professionally and took are of it all.
Cincinnati
We are going to require ICSI with our IVF and will take birth control leading up to our cycle [with Dr. Sherif Awadalla]...was very down to earth and he shot very straight with us. He made sure we understood what he was telling us and gave great advice to help make our decision easier...was extremely knowledgeable and let us know the potential outcome of many different types of treatments. He had a pleasant bedside manner and spoke very confidently about our treatment options.
She [nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health] answered all of our questions and was very excited for us. We talked for over an hour and she answered every question we had. I learned so much!...The clinic got us in within a month of the request for an appointment. They made special accommodations to see us for education appointment the same weekend because we came from out of town. They were extremely helpful!...
Dr Awadalla was extremely knowledgeable and let us know the potential outcome of many different types of treatments. He had a pleasant bedside manner and spoke very confidently about our treatment options.
Just go for it! He is very honest and will point you in the right direction.
Dr Awadalla was very down to earth and he shot very straight with us. He made sure we understood what he was telling us and gave great advice to help make our decision easier.
We are going to require ICSI with our IVF and will take birth control leading up to our cycle. We will have multiple ultrasounds during the cycle and then start injectables to stimulate the ovaries. Then we will take an antagonist to keep me from ovulating independently. Then the day before the appointment we will do another shot to simulate ovulation and they will retrieve the eggs. 24 hours out they will update us about our embryos. Then 5 days out we will go to implant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Olivia)
She answered all of our questions and was very excited for us. We talked for over an hour and she answered every question we had. I learned so much!
Treated 2009 - 2019
When I went to see him [Dr. Awadalla] for the first time, I felt he knew my pain from previous attempts of failed treatments. He showed compassion, understanding, and kindness on all levels of my care. If I needed to cry, he let me cry. If I needed to laugh, we would laugh. I could tell he really wanted to help me become a mother...I completed my last IVF cycle under his care. From start to finish I was never left feeling as if I wasn't in good hands. I always felt confident in the process and his expertise. I had a a lot of questions, and he always tried to explain the answers as best he could.
[The nursing staff at IRH were] Compassionate, caring, understanding. Very knowledgeable about infertility and treatments...25,000 plus for IVF. We have had our embryos frozen for 10 years and we pay yearly fees for them also. Very costly unfortunately...Timely appointments, friendly, minimal wait time. Call backs typically same day. They follow procedures as described. Answer questions completely and don't mind if you have several questions. I never felt rushed.
If you are hesitant, don't be. Consult with him first and he will ease your fears.
When I went to see him for the first time, I felt he knew my pain from previous attempts of failed treatments. He showed compassion, understanding, and kindness on all levels of my care. If I needed to cry, he let me cry. If I needed to laugh, we would laugh. I could tell he really wanted to help me become a mother.
IVF with injections, egg retrieval, then fresh embryo transfer. We transferred 2 5 day embryos that resulted in boy/girl twins. Have 2 frozen embryos left.
None
Cincinnati
Very friendly. Funny. Made me feel very comfortable yet informed.... Very highly recommend. I would recommend him [Dr. Awadalla] to anyone. Really trust him and feel comfortable being in his care....I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance right off the bat. I tried Letrozole but couldn’t ovulate so after ultrasounds confirmed cysts I moved onto injections. I was able to ovulate and had an IUI.... I’ve seen all three docs at IRH and they’re all fantastic.
The Clinic [Institute for Reproductive Health] is great. The KY office is very small and is where I’ve spent most of my time. The downtown Cinci location is super nice. I think the staff and doctors are great and I highly recommend them.... I did have one nurse be snarky over giving me a sample of follistim over someone else. It was extremely awkward and I had to go way out of my way to get my medication. Sucked. Overall they’re great.... in my first cycle between the medications, ultrasounds, bloodwork and the IUI I’ve spent about $2,000.
Very highly recommend. I would recommend him to anyone. Really trust him and feel comfortable being in his care. I’ve seen all three docs at IRH and they’re all fantastic. The Clinic staff is friendly and helpful. It is a very nice atmosphere and they treat you like a person—not a number.
Be patient with as it can be a long process but you’re in great hands.
Very friendly. Funny. Made me feel very comfortable yet informed.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance right off the bat. I tried Letrozole but couldn’t ovulate so after ultrasounds confirmed cysts I moved onto injections. I was able to ovulate and had an IUI. Unfortunately I had a miscarriage so now I am having weekly bloodwork as I wait for hormone levels to drop so I can start a new cycle. The doctors at IRH informed me of the chances of a miscarriage and have handled my care very well afterward. They remained positive and upbeat which really helped me feel better.
Overall they’ve been great. I did have one nurse be snarky over giving me a sample of follistim over someone else. It was extremely awkward and I had to go way out of my way to get my medication. Sucked. Overall they’re great.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The Clinic is great. The KY office is very small and is where I’ve spent most of my time. The downtown Cinci location is super nice. I think the staff and doctors are great and I highly recommend them.
Treated 2017 - 2018
he [Dr. Awadalla] is very welcoming and nice. doesn't just speak about the medical terms and asks about work and our day. he makes us feel like not just a patient. one visit I did feel rushed thru my ultrasound. I left thinking of questions I should have asked, but didn't think about them until later. I wish he had gone in more detail about what each thing meant I the ultrasound and what to expect in the future.
hard to talk to someone on the phone [at Institute for Reproductive Health]. always have to leave a voicemail. receptionist is pleasantly nice and welcoming. nursing staff is amazing and makes you feel comfortable. I like that the sperm wash is right next to the fertility clinic...[nurses had] great bedside manner. very compassionate and understanding. they describe what's next and exactly what to do. even when I had severe cramping and called them, they walked me thru every thing that could have been wrong, and were very supportive
he is very welcoming and nice. doesn't just speak about the medical terms and asks about work and our day. he makes us feel like not just a patient. one visit I did feel rushed thru my ultrasound. I left thinking of questions I should have asked, but didn't think about them until later. I wish he had gone in more detail about what each thing meant I the ultrasound and what to expect in the future.
he small talks, and makes jokes. he doesn't just talk about the medical part of it, and makes me feel like he sincerely cares.
started me on metformin before iui cycles began. low carb diet. be best to lose 20lbs. after 2nd iui produced no follicles, he upped my dosage to 3 pills of femera that same cycle, and tried again. now for my 3rd iui I'm on 3 femeras again.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
hard to talk to someone on the phone. always have to leave a voicemail. receptionist is pleasantly nice and welcoming. nursing staff is amazing and makes you feel comfortable. I like that the sperm wash is right next to the fertility clinic
ultrasounds each about $100 each visit $50 copay iui $500 sperm wash $225 ovidrel $92 femera $10
Treated 2014 - 2017
Dr. Awadalla always knew who we were and what our goals were. He was upbeat and positive but also realistic...He seemed blunt at first but after the initial consultation was very kind, empathetic and encouraging! He showed compassion when I was upset about not being able to get pregnant on our own and also knew when to keep the mood light...IVF fresh cycle (twin pregnancy and birth). 2.5 years later we did a frozen embryo transfer which resulted in a live Singleton birth.
[The nursing staff at Institute for Reproductive Health were] Amazing, knowledgeable and compassionate...IRH is very organized and there is someone always there to answer questions. They returned calls quickly and is even open during weekends. I had to call in a Saturday afternoon and got ahold of the doctor. Appointments were always running on time. The waiting area and clinic area is clean and private.
Dr. Awadalla was very up front about the end goal of treatment, to have a baby. He seemed blunt at first but after the initial consultation was very kind, empathetic and encouraging! He showed compassion when I was upset about not being able to get pregnant on our own and also knew when to keep the mood light.
Let him do what he does best. He may seem blunt during initial consultation but is now someone we consider family.
IUI with Olvidrel for two months. Then IVF fresh cycle (twin pregnancy and birth). 2.5 years later we did a frozen embryo transfer which resulted in a live Singleton birth.
Amazing, knowledgeable and compassionate
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I don't remember exactly costs but I do know that we were given rebates on several medications that were very helpful!
Dr. Awadalla said the choice would be ours. When the time came to do our first transfer he suggested two embryos and we had decided we we're ok with that and actually wanted to try for two. With our frozen cycle we only had one embryo left so we did not have any other choice.
Treated 2015
He [Dr. Sherif Awadalla] was very knowledge. Listened to our history and what we had already been through. Was very honest and up front with our chances and risks. He understood what we had invested in our treatment. He was so excited to see our embryo and transfer for us. When I went in to our first ulteasound he was so positive and encouraging. When we went back, I was worried there would be no heartbeat and he celebrated with us when we heard that beautiful sound.
[IRH-Cincinnati is] Very organized and efficient. Works with your bodies schedule and not a time schedule. I was seen on the weekends when I needed to be cycle wise. Always courteous and compassionate. Everyone is so knowledgeable. The multiple offices were great for out of town patients like myself. They coordinated with clinics close to me for blood draws etc so I didn’t have to make the trip up as frequently.
He was very knowledge. Listened to our history and what we had already been through. Was very honest and up front with our chances and risks. He understood what we had invested in our treatment. He was so excited to see our embryo and transfer for us. When I went in to our first ulteasound he was so positive and encouraging. When we went back, I was worried there would be no heartbeat and he celebrated with us when we heard that beautiful sound.
Take things one step at a time. Day by day, moment by moment.
Our opinion mattered always listened Sat down with us outside of an exam room
Very compassionate. Always able to answer questions when asked. Prompt in calling back and calming fears
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
We were thankful to have insurance coverage so we paid 20% out of pocket until we reached our out of pocket max.
He was very adamant about transferring a single embryo. Was very up front with the risks of multiples. I ended up in preterm labor at 27 weeks with our Singleton and was so thankful I wasn’t carrying multiples at the time.
Treated 2015 - 2018
About $1000 for an IUI cycle with meds [at Institute for Reproductive Health]...I don’t like how hard it is to get someone on the phone, but they do call back quickly. Overall the wait times in the waiting room are good and they’re fast. It’s clean, they have lots of apportionments...I felt like Dr Awadalla was very kind, but also very brief/quick in his visits with us...They’re [nurses] so kind!
He is very knowledge and wise, he has done this for many years. I do believe he cares about his patients and the outcomes. His bedside manner isn’t always the greatest, sometimes he seems rushed. Our first ultrasound with our first successful IUI, Dr. Awadalla didn’t even say hi to or acknowledge my husband. So in that way, you sort of feel like a number. When we came back to try for our second child, i did three IUI cycles that all failed. He continued to keep the same protocol. I called and asked if we could do injectable medications for my 4th cycle. The nurse asked him and he agreed. I’m now 18 weeks with twins. That was a little frustrating, but he has so many patients...i guess just be proactive in your own treatment and ask for things if you think it would be a good avenue to explore. Overall i really liked working with Dr. Awadalla.
They’re so kind!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
About $1000 for an IUI cycle with meds.
Treated 2017
Dr. Awadalla always asked how we were doing. He came up and talked to me about things in other parts of my life. He was always positive. Very down to earth. Never condescending... He always assured me that I could have a baby and never used any type of alarmist language to get me to agree to a treatment...He is just a good person. I felt comfortable with him from day 1. He never had a negative or discouraging thing to say. Not ever. He genuinely cares about his patients and that shows.
It [Institute for Reproductive Health] was convienent, there was plenty of space for privacy, and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. There were 3 locations of which 2 were convenient to me. 1 of the offices did most of the treatments. They are open on Saturdays...Some of the nurses were fantastic and others of them were very distant and not super friendly...$5000 for the 3 treatments [of IUI]...Dr. Awadalla always asked how we were doing. He came up and talked to me about things in other parts of my life.
He is just a good person. I felt comfortable with him from day 1. He never had a negative or discouraging thing to say. Not ever. He genuinely cares about his patients and that shows. From the initial consultation through my last pregnancy ultrasound he was the greatest doctor and advocate. At 33 my AMH levels were incredibly low. He never used those words. He would just say “I’d like to see them here.” He always assured me that I could have a baby and never used any type of alarmist language to get me to agree to a treatment.
Just let him help you and do whatever he says to do.
I took femara, injected the trigger shot after we confirmed ovulation with an ultrasound, and then went back for the IUI
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
It was convienent, there was plenty of space for privacy, and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. There were 3 locations of which 2 were convenient to me. 1 of the offices did most of the treatments. They are open on Saturdays.
$5000 for the 3 treatments