Loma Linda University

Medical SchoolSt. Louis U.
ResidencyU. of Tennessee Memphis
FellowshipUMDNJ
Loma Linda
11370 Anderson Street
Loma Linda, CA 92354
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shirley Fong to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Loma Linda University to a friend?
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Even when she diagnoses you with multiple fertility issues, and you present her with the research saying that IUI is a waste of time and money and could cause additional problems like ectopic pregnancy and miscarriages, she will not directly say try other options. She will just say keep trying IUI, when you know, she knows better.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
If you try fertility treatments with her and your gut keeps telling you that you need a second opinion, get a second opinion. Her energy and optimism can make you feel as though anything is possible, even when the facts about your fertility is so blatantly clear that you need more services than she can offer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
The first few sessions she provides a lot of information and suggestions for your fertility treatment. She talks fast because she is trying to give you alot of information in a short period of time, but initially you do feel like she is treating you like a human being. However, once she creates a treatment plan and you try to ask more detailed questions via email or through her staff, she provides very limited vague responses (sometimes only phrases) and does not directly answer your questions, leaving you even more confused about what next steps to take in your treatment.
Describe the protocols Shirley Fong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
With the IUI that I did, she prescribed about 50 mg of clomid as she did not want me to produce to many eggs and accidently fertilize too many eggs. She also prescribed a trigger shot that I took one or two days before my insemination. I did not get pregnant. Yet as mentioned before, she was being hopefully and not considering all the fertility issues I was presenting with.
After the two week wait, when you call to tell them that you are NOT pregnant , they literally say, "Okay, call us with your next period." This response can be very shocking to a person who is devastated that she is not pregnant. After paying hundreds of dollars to try to get pregnant with this department, all they can say is "call back with your next period." The doctor does not schedule an appointment to reassess your treatment plan and determine if it needs to be changed. You are just told to do the whole process again (if you choose) when your next period rolls around.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The consultations and limited diagnostic tests can be very informative when you are starting out on this journey. Yet, if it is determined that you have multiple fertility issues, it is better to go to a clinic that offers a variety of services, as this clinic offers very little services.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Consultations, HSGs, bloodwork, and the actual insemination procedure all cost close to $2500 for one cycle.
Describe Shirley Fong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
In this clinic, she does not deal with embryos
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
I loved Dr. Fong for her personality and relatability. She had a very calm aura and explained everything in a personable manner. I felt comfortable and trusted that I was in great hands with such a fragile experience... Dr. Fong was very relatable and listed to everything my partner and I had to say or ask, and in turn answered everything in a way we could understand but still very professionally. She went over options while keeping in mind our budget and how aggressive we could be with that monetary goal in mind.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I loved Dr. Fong for her personality and relatability. She had a very calm aura and explained everything in a personable manner. I felt comfortable and trusted that I was in great hands with such a fragile experience. I would recommend her highly to any of my friends or family if they needed her services.
To a prospective patient, I would say there’s no reason to be scared or nervous with Dr. Fong. She is the type that actually cares about you and listens and wants to give you the best treatment possible for the outcome you want.
The nursing staff was nice but did not have as much communication skills as the doctor. They did however go over the doctors notes to make sure I understood everything and let me know what to do for the next follow up appointment
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I love kaiser and wish I could keep them forever. Being as they are pricey and do not offer fertility to an outside buyer is the biggest downfall. I was lucky enough to have 50% insurance coverage for a time enough to get to know they reproductive team
The initial consultation for me was $150.00. Without insurance it would have been $300.00. I think their pricing is normal as far as other clinics I have looked into. The quality of the doctor and having 50% covered was a big thing for me at the time
Fontana

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Dr. Fong made my husband and I feel like we weren’t just another patient that goes through the office. On our first meeting we came out feeling like there was hope and unfortunately it hasn’t gone our way but Dr.Fong makes me feel in a never give up way when I see her.... She never sugar coated what I had she was very clear from day 1and I thank her for that. When I have a canceled treatment because my body wasn’t ready there was never any sense of that’s it let’s move on.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Fong and her staff have made me feel like there not just there because it’s their job. They do this because they wanna help. Since the first meeting to every appointment and treatment I’ve had since Dr. Fong has answered all my questions with compassion and certainty. She never sugar coated what I had she was very clear from day 1and I thank her for that. When I have a canceled treatment because my body wasn’t ready there was never any sense of that’s it let’s move on. Instead she made me feel like this time it didn’t happen but we’re not giving up, she then would proceed with what can we do better. Dr. Fong has been a great Doctor since day one of meeting her.
Listen to all her advice,she really knows what she is doing.
They worked hard to work around you and make you feel as comfortable as they can make it. All were great.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The clinic is very good they are usually very fast and really work hard to work with you. They are located next to the offices where the pregnant patients go to so it is a bit hard when your their to try to make a baby and right next to it is just a swarm of pregnant women. Other than that it is a great clinic.
I am lucky enough to have a great insurance plan so I only spent money on all my medications. The only cost my insurance does not cover is IVF and it’s most likely the only way I might get pregnant.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Fong has a very soft bedside manner and seems to care, but at times it is difficult to make sure you see her at all appointments. Dr. Fong is not always available. During one cycle, neither Dr. was available and patients were told to wait until next cycle.... I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Please go in with a goal. If they can not do anything for you in the first 3 months please seek other help. I feel as if I lost time and some money.
Dr. Fong has been a little more proactive than my last doctor, but at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
I am currently still under treatment. I was suggested 3 medicated cycles with injections. First cycle was using Menopur and dosages were increased for almost 12 days. I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored and there was no communication from my Dr.When I when in for the ultrasound,the RN suggested I cancel and asked why my Dr. did not bring me in earlier, it was a holiday.
The nursing staff in the front office seem to have some sympathy and seem to care. They do try and return your call or email asap.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Ask Dr. all the questions possible. Make them spend time with you and answer any concerns you may have. Do not let them tell you they do not have room for you when you are making appointments. Make sure nurses go over all medication with you and your partner.
My insurance covers most of my office visits, medications, and procedures.
Fontana

I was nervous to meet with her at first, but she [Dr. Fong] put my husband and I at ease with a course of action based on how aggressive we wanted to be. She answered questions and emails quickly and we always felt better after leaving her office. We are still in the early stages of her helping us get and stay pregnant, but I’m optimistic she will be able to help.... I am a recurrent pregnancy loss patient so I had to have multiple tests to see what was going on. So far everything has come back normal so we have unexplained infertility at this point.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I was nervous to meet with her at first, but she put my husband and I at ease with a course of action based on how aggressive we wanted to be. She answered questions and emails quickly and we always felt better after leaving her office. We are still in the early stages of her helping us get and stay pregnant, but I’m optimistic she will be able to help.
Bring a list of questions and be open to her suggestions.
Respectful, good beside manner, empathetic, answered questions and emails quickly.
I am a recurrent pregnancy loss patient so I had to have multiple tests to see what was going on. So far everything has come back normal so we have unexplained infertility at this point. She has is starting clomid this cycle and we told her if we weren’t pregnant within 3 months, we wanted to move onto our next option which was clomid with IUI.
I don’t know who it is, but when I call and speak to her nurse, she seems almost annoyed on the phone. But whenever I’m in the office, the nurses are great. Not sure if it’s someone outside the department that is answering the phones, but she isn’t the most pleasant. Nothing outrageous, just not super friendly.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser is great, in that you can get answers quicker because all the doctors work under kaiser instead of an outside facility. It does take a long time to get your first appointment though. It’s about an 8 week wait.
I am under kaiser insurance so cost would have to do with your insurance with them.
Fontana

Dr Fong, is attentive and listened to my concerns the whole time. I never felt like she was rushing me or dismissed my concerns! She was empathetic and informative of my possible solutions. Whenever I email she immediately responds, and is very easy to get a hold of. I can’t say enough great things about her!... She presented options to me, and gave me information about next steps. Precious fertility doctor was dismissive of my concerns brought forth, but Dr Fong listened to all them and acknowledged them.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She did not dismiss my concerns. She listened to all me the whole time. I did not feel rushed during our appointment either. She presented options to me, and gave me information about next steps. Precious fertility doctor was dismissive of my concerns brought forth, but Dr Fong listened to all them and acknowledged them.
Describe any concerns and issues you’re having and she will answer them. She provides informative literature hand outs as well.
Telephone clomid. 3-6 cycles of clomid. Clomid starting at 50mg. If ovulation did not occur then increase in dosage. Have intercourse from day 9 to 21 every other day progesterone check day 21.
Prompt on responding to emails and providing instructions for the next round of clomid
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Prompt on appointments, not a long wait time. Very clean as well. Nursing staff is kind, and answers any questions you may have. It can be a tad confusing on which building because Kaiser is so large, however they send out email, mail appointment reminders prior to the appointment. The kaiser app is also very helpful
With my insurance fertility treatments are covered 50%. I pay the remaining 50% cost the day off, and I’m billed for any tests.
Not discussed yet
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?