5.2

Shirley Fong works at

9961 Sierra Ave
Fontana, CA 92335

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Fong believed my would respond the same to stimulation for IVF as I had for IUI. I do feel like she was honest and presented my situation clearly...saw an improvement in response to my IUI protocol and improvement in my AMH, she suggested I take advantage of the window and see if IVF would give me a better outcome...did all she could do since Kaiser Fontana does not offer IVF.
Kaiser Fontana is great if you don’t have a difficult case. They can offer medicated cycles with IUIs but do not offer IVF...[nurses] remembered me and my husband every time they saw us...When I called the nurse’s line they always answered or called back in a timely manner...answered my questions and would follow up with Dr. Fong if they didn’t have the answers to my questions.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Fong was very honest with me from the beginning. I knew going I to treatment that my diagnosis would make successful treatment difficult but not impossible. She presented my options and listed to my concerns, and when I asked she gave me her honest professional opinion. Dr. Fong was available and communicated with me directly and with her staff. Whenever I emailed or called I would get a response on the same day or early the next depending on when I emailed or called. I do think that she is very optimistic and perhaps this may make moving to IVF instead of IUI more difficult because she believes in her patients’ potential. In my case o do believe I should have moved on to IVF sooner, however my AMH was very low for my age and Dr. Fong believed my would respond the same to stimulation for IVF as I had for IUI. I do feel like she was honest and presented my situation clearly. Once I saw an improvement in response to my IUI protocol and improvement in my AMH, she suggested I take advantage of the window and see if IVF would give me a better outcome. I believe because of my diagnosis she did all she could do since Kaiser Fontana does not offer IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask questions, ask if you should move on to other treatments and why she believes that. Overall I had a positive experience even if I didn’t get the outcome I wanted.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Fong was very kind and always available to discuss any concerns I had. She has a warm disposition and remembers her patients. She’s very optimistic, but gives you a clear picture of your situation.
Describe the protocols Shirley Fong used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
We had 4 IUI's (2019-2020) with Kaiser Fontana, Dr. Fong. I diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve, AMH 10/2018 .74; AMH 10/2019 1.55. 1st IUI 3/2019, 6 Vials (450 IU) Menopur for 6 days and had 2 follicles (16 / 13) developed, resulted in pregnancy. Pregnancy ended in miscarriage at 11/12 weeks with Manual Vacuum Aspiration, fetal pole measured 5 weeks 6 days. 2nd IUI 8/2019, 6 vials (450 IU) Menopur for 8 days and had 3 follicles develop, resulted in biochemical pregnancy. 3rd IUI 12/2019, 6 vials (450 IU) Menopur for 7 days and 3 vials (225 IU) for the 8th day, had 4 mature follicles with 2 smaller ones. No pregnancy, had to cancel next IUI for January 2020 due to left over cyst from IUI. 4th IUI 2/2020, 5 Vials (375 IU) Menopur for 8 days, 4 mature follicles with several smaller ones. No pregnancy, had to cancel next IUI for February 2020 due to left over cysts from IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
The nursing staff was great. They remembered me and my husband every time they saw us. They always explained the next step that our Dr. had given us. When I called the nurse’s line they always answered or called back in a timely manner. They answered my questions and would follow up with Dr. Fong if they didn’t have the answers to my questions.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser Fontana is great if you don’t have a difficult case. They can offer medicated cycles with IUIs but do not offer IVF. I had a friend refer me, she had a successful IUI (same sex couple) but did not have the medical needs I have.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My cost was minimal, my insurance covered most of it. Offices visits $10 each Medication $70 approximately each cycle IUI procedure$10 Labs $0
Describe Shirley Fong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Does not apply to my treatment.
Fontana
Dr. Fong has a very soft bedside manner and seems to care, but at times it is difficult to make sure you see her at all appointments. Dr. Fong is not always available. During one cycle, neither Dr. was available and patients were told to wait until next cycle.... I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored
The nursing staff in the front office seem to have some sympathy and seem to care. They do try and return your call or email asap.... at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Please go in with a goal. If they can not do anything for you in the first 3 months please seek other help. I feel as if I lost time and some money.
Dr. Fong has been a little more proactive than my last doctor, but at Kaiser, as patients, we do not always get to see our doctors. Sometimes we are seen by another Dr. or RN, this makes me feel a little less important because I feel, I am not getting the care I deserve from one individual and there might be some miscommunication at times when there are a few people involved in my care.
I am currently still under treatment. I was suggested 3 medicated cycles with injections. First cycle was using Menopur and dosages were increased for almost 12 days. I had an IUI done and it was negative. Next IUI, medication was increased and my cycle had to be cancelled because I had too many follicles that were going to be released. I felt this cycle was poorly monitored and there was no communication from my Dr.When I when in for the ultrasound,the RN suggested I cancel and asked why my Dr. did not bring me in earlier, it was a holiday.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Ask Dr. all the questions possible. Make them spend time with you and answer any concerns you may have. Do not let them tell you they do not have room for you when you are making appointments. Make sure nurses go over all medication with you and your partner.
My insurance covers most of my office visits, medications, and procedures.

2013 - 2019, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
She [Dr. Fong] listens and makes you feel like you matter. ... I didn’t get to see her much because she works primarily down in LA. But when I did see her she was always nice and very pleasant ... I felt comfortable with her. ... She showed compassion and sympathy ... She tried iui ... Make the appointment way in advance she is always booked ... I would definitely recommend Kamala she was a great NP [Kaiser Permanente].
It was the day of the Iui my np was not in and she rescheduled me with another np. The np said she would see me the next day by the time she saw me she said i should have seen her yesterday. I explained that they cancelled my appointment and rescheduled me for next day. She cancelled my Iui cycle. It was stressful. I post $3k that cycle ... The staff [Kaiser Permanente] was nice. Location was centrally located. I would definitely recommend Kamala she was a great NP.
How was your experience with Shirley Fong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She listens and makes you feel like you matter. I felt comfortable with her. I didn’t get to see her much because she works primarily down in LA. But when I did see her she was always nice and very pleasant
Make the appointment way in advance she is always booked
She showed compassion and sympathy
She tried iui
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Kamala heisser )
Kamala is the best
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
It’s expensive when you don’t have fertility coverage . I really wanted something a bit more affordable. The staff was nice. Location was centrally located. I would definitely recommend Kamala she was a great NP.
$3k per Iui cycle
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Bakersfield