Available by cell phone
FellowshipU. of Minnesota
1322 Pineview Dr
Morgantown, WV 26505
304-598-3100
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shon Rowan to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Anovulation, Male Factor
At all of my appointments I felt well cared for. All of the procedures were well explained. Dr. Rowan is very matter of fact so much so at times his bed side manner suffers. At each appointment I came prepared with questions and he was very patient with me and answered all of them. ... For 10 days follistimAQ 225 iu once a day,menopur 75iu once a day. The last 5 days Ganirelix 250 mcg with the other injections. Trigger shot with Chor Gonadot 10,000 unt injection. 9 eggs were retrieved, 4 were mature, 4 fertilized with ICSI. 1 at day 5 and biopsied for PGS.
One of our 5 day embryos was destroyed during the PGS biopsy. We weren't informed until our follow up appointment a month later. We only had two. ... Karen explained the IVF process very well. She helped when were having issues with the pharmacy and PGS testing. At times she was too busy to return calls but I think that was do to a busy time period before the lab closed. My husband did not like her. He thought she was rude when explaining options.
Anovulation, Male Factor
How was your experience with Shon Rowan at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shon Rowan at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Advocate for your care and research your problems.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shon Rowan at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Felt that he cared about our case.
Describe the protocols Shon Rowan used in your cycles at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Karen Merryman)
Describe your experience with West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The other nurses at the clinic are the absolute best! The receptionist and billing office were fantastic also. The office is in a convenient location. Some days you might have to wait a while for you appointment but everyone is friendly and helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shon Rowan at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The total was $14,000. Just the egg retrieval and ivf with ICSI was $10,000 and the tranfer would have been the other $4,000.
What specific things went wrong at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Shon Rowan at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine.

2020
[Dr. Rowan has a] Strong preference of 1 [Eset]. Ultimately it was my decision though...has really good bedside manners. He is professional but not stuffy- he is very lax and has a good sense of humor. He doesn't make you feel like you are insignificant nor does he rush you through questions or out of appointments (unless he has a student)...He is open to talking things through with you and meeting in the middle, especially if you are self-advocating and have research to back it up. He is very personable but professional. So far my experience with his has been good. The only downfall I can add is that he doesn't call with bad news, he has a nurse deliver that news. I've dealt with other clinics and never had that experience. This is an area he could improve on.
Clinic [West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine] is small. It's rare that I call and have to leave a voicemail (literally once in 5 months). Parking can suck sometimes but there's a complex across the street. Appointments are easily attainable. Their app is also extremely user friendly but could use some work in terms of adding medications and video visits...Karen and the nursing team are great. They're all friendly and very responsive. If i ask a question I don't wait long for an answer. I also have email access to the coordinator and financial counselor which is really helpful.
2020
Dr. Rowan is very straight forward but does not stray from clinic protocols. They are very adamant on sticking to those specific protocols and do not budge on that. He is open to talking things through with you and meeting in the middle, especially if you are self-advocating and have research to back it up. He is very personable but professional. So far my experience with his has been good. The only downfall I can add is that he doesn't call with bad news, he has a nurse deliver that news. I've dealt with other clinics and never had that experience. This is an area he could improve on.
Do your research and don't hesitate to ask questions. If you're advocating for care or deviations have concrete reasoning prior to asking for things.
Dr. Rowan has really good bedside manners. He is professional but not stuffy- he is very lax and has a good sense of humor. He doesn't make you feel like you are insignificant nor does he rush you through questions or out of appointments (unless he has a student).
For my FET I was on 8 days of birth control pills, 2 weeks of estrace, and 5 days of PIO. The rationale is that the protocol has good outcomes in comparison to others. Birth control times vary from 7-14 days. For my upcoming IVF cycle I'll be on the antagonist protocol- Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Trigger. 200 of Gonal per day. I am not sure of the other dosages yet. I had a good response to my previous IVF cycle (minus menopur) so they didn't deviate much.
Describe your experience with your nurse at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
Clinic is small. It's rare that I call and have to leave a voicemail (literally once in 5 months). Parking can suck sometimes but there's a complex across the street. Appointments are easily attainable. Their app is also extremely user friendly but could use some work in terms of adding medications and video visits.
With some preliminary testing and FET cycle roughly $1500.00 including meds and transferring my embryos to that clinic. For my upcoming IVF cycle it will be roughly $3,000 including meds but not including genetic testing on embryos as i have not recieved that information yet.
Describe Shon Rowan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Strong preference of 1. Ultimately it was my decision though.
I had lab work done at an outside clinic. I provided the results directly to the clinic as they stated they never received the results. Instead of them adding the results provided, they just reran the lab when I was getting other lab work done at the clinic.
+ Read more- Read less

Even though he [Dr. Rowan] had a large patient load because of a doctor resigning I always felt like he cared about my questions and concerns...he is open to more modern treatments and tests. My first doctor would not do an HSG on me because he stated it was not necessary but Dr. Rowan insisted that it WAS needed and I gladly did it. He always listens to me and does not make me feel like I’m bothering him...We always did either clomid or letrozole every cycle and both of those made me have hot flashes and feel pretty tired.
Right now they [West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine] are short a specialist so getting a good appointment that fits my work schedule is very hard. I have to take time off work a good bit now. The clinic is very clean and feels like someone’s house and not a clinic...The nurses are very sweet and understanding. You can call them at any time and they will try to answer you then or call you back shortly. I always feel calm talking to them.
Dr. Rowan is younger so he is open to more modern treatments and tests. My first doctor would not do an HSG on me because he stated it was not necessary but Dr. Rowan insisted that it WAS needed and I gladly did it. He always listens to me and does not make me feel like I’m bothering him.
Come with a list of questions and options you are willing to try.
Even though he had a large patient load because of a doctor resigning I always felt like he cared about my questions and concerns.
We always did either clomid or letrozole every cycle and both of those made me have hot flashes and feel pretty tired. We had one cycle of dexamethasone which i did not like at all! It made my blood pressure go up which made me have a red face and ears and just feel lousy. We had 3 trigger shots. One before each IUI we did which all failed. They didn’t cause any side effects other than my skin was sore and red at the injection site. All medications created 2 good size follicles every cycle but did not result in pregnancy.
Right now they are short a specialist so getting a good appointment that fits my work schedule is very hard. I have to take time off work a good bit now. The clinic is very clean and feels like someone’s house and not a clinic.
During my cycle visits all I had to pay was my copay. Unfortunately my insurance does not cover IUI so that was completely out of pocket.
None

2017 - 2019
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Rowan is a great doctor. He is personable, professional, has great bed side manner, is compassionate and understanding, answers any questions and takes the time to listen to your concerns and try something new if you desire. He is very patient and not only answers my questions, but my husband's as well. We highly recommend him and the facility in general, nothing but great experiences with the drs and the staff there
The clinic [WVU] is somewhat large but clean and cozy . Organized. No complaints on this end. There is an elevator for those that need it, close to the hospital which is nice if needed. Easy to find with plenty of parking available. There are 3 exam rooms and 2 consult rooms plus in the back is the hospital area with beds and equipment
2017 - 2019
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Take a list of questions and even if you think it's a stupid question, it's your body and you have the final say so. For example, during my day 3 scan , I was having horrible cramps and heavy flow so I declined the transvaginal ultrasound even though he said he would prefer to do it for better quality picture of my uterus. I again declined and he respected my wishes and we did a tummy ultrasound. Was fuzzy but we managed. That made me feel good that he actually listened to me and we made it work one way or the other.
DR. ROWAN REMEMBERS YOU AND ASKS HOW THINGS ARE, LEARNS ABOUT YOU AS A PATIENT AND AS A COUPLE. HE IS SENSITIVE AND UNDERSTANDING AND IS THERE TO ANSWER EVEN THE MOST RIDICULOUS OF QUESTIONS.
We have done so many oral meds, Injections, procedures and all with no pregnancy. We try one thing for a few cycles and then if that doesn't work we move on to something else. It's always changing based on how your body responds.
The nursing staff is top notch. They are compassionate and just as excited as you to go through this journey. They have cried and laughed with me and always are a pleasure to deal with. Always asking you how things are going and what they can do to help. Wonderful staff!!
The clinic is somewhat large but clean and cozy . Organized. No complaints on this end. There is an elevator for those that need it, close to the hospital which is nice if needed. Easy to find with plenty of parking available. There are 3 exam rooms and 2 consult rooms plus in the back is the hospital area with beds and equipment
Insurance covered most of my visits , IVF is out of pocket. Upwards of $16,000-18,000.
We are starting IVF cycle on October 8 so we haven't made it that far just yet !

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Rowan gets right to the point about your diagnosis and treatments options. He will also give you all of your treatment options and the pros and cons of each...We tried natural cycles, timed intercourse, timed intercourse with Clomid and Femara, IUIs with Clomid and Femara, and IVF. Our one and only retrieval and transfer resulted in the birth of my son...Dr. Rowan is very friendly and is great at explaining the process of fertility treatments. He gets right to the point and doesn't encourage false hope.
All of the nursing staff [at West Virgina University Center for Reproductive Medincine] were very friendly and compassionate. The nurse coordinator was always available via phone, email, and text...IUIs approximately $700 (including meds from pharmacy) IVF with Fresh Transfer approximately $8,000 to $9,000 Frozen Embryo Transfer approximately $3,200 Embryo Freezing $500 for 1 year
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Rowan is very friendly and is great at explaining the process of fertility treatments. He gets right to the point and doesn't encourage false hope. I appreciate that he always gives me the pros and cons of a treatment.
I would tell a prospective patient that Dr. Rowan gets right to the point about your diagnosis and treatments options. He will also give you all of your treatment options and the pros and cons of each.
Dr. Rowan and his staff have always treated me very well.
All of the nursing staff were very friendly and compassionate. The nurse coordinator was always available via phone, email, and text.
Strengths: The providers and staff at this clinic are friendly, knowledgeable, understanding, and very professional. The clinic is a small and private setting, which made me feel more comfortable. Also, the egg retrieval and transfer is done in the clinic, so you do not have to go to a separate facility. Weaknesses: Parking at the clinic was sometimes difficult, as the parking lot is small and shared with another clinic.
Dr. Rowan is realistic about eSET and multiple embryo transfer. He gives you the choice, but will also give you his recommendation.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Pcos & anovulation is my diagnosis [by Dr. Shon Rowan]. I had a d&c to get some Scar tissue out. Then we tried letrazole which I did not respond...I felt rushed. Driving 1 hour to the clinic to get to see the doc for less than 5 min was irritating. Alot of the times when seen things were not explained to me unless I pushed for Answers...always shows a plan of action but unless I pushed for Answers it was hard to get answers as to why we were doing certian things or adjusting plans. Strengths would be he seemed knowledgeable weakness would have to be communication.
[Nurses at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine are] One word AMAZING!!! If I had a question or concern they were quick to explain and show compassion. Quick to call in meds and help with mail order medicine. And most of all they knew my name...I was supposed to start meds on a Monday and I was seen on a Friday. However since meds were not called in I could not start prescription...Ultrasound $299...Office visit $175...IUI $212...Sometimes when my doc that I had been seeing wasnt there I had to see someone else and I wasnt comfortable. I felt like they had no idea my plan and what I have been through. As I said before be your own ad
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Rowan always shows a plan of action but unless I pushed for Answers it was hard to get answers as to why we were doing certian things or adjusting plans. Strengths would be he seemed knowledgeable weakness would have to be communication.
Ask questions! And don't hold back. BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!!
Pcos & anovulation is my diagnosis. I had a d&c to get some Scar tissue out. Then we tried letrazole which I did not respond. Clomid actos and dexamethasone producing eggs but no pregnancy. Our final tx was follistim injections.
Sometimes when my doc that I had been seeing wasnt there I had to see someone else and I wasnt comfortable. I felt like they had no idea my plan and what I have been through. As I said before be your own advocate
Ultrasound $299 Office visit $175 IUI $212

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Dr. Rowan does a great job at answering my questions and looking into the details of complaints. He is caring... bedside manner is good as he takes time and does not hurry the appointment. gave me hope in that I could still conceive even with my diminishing ovarian reserve. He tried multiple things to get me to ovulate through medications...He is thorough at trying to figure a solution to all problems...I had two cycles of medications starting with Letrozole. when I went back for the US to see if it was working he prescribed me another round of medicine right there at a higher dose to try and induce ovulation. this happened for two cycles.
The clinic [West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine] is separate from the main campus of the hospital. it is nice and private. warm and inviting and the rooms where plans are discussed are homey feeling and not like a office setting or regular exam room which gives you a more relaxed feel...I am very happy with the nursing staff even on delicate subjects the reassurance and compassion they show are amazing...Dr. Rowan does a great job at answering my questions and looking into the details of complaints.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Is detailed in answering my questions. bedside manner is good as he takes time and does not hurry the appointment. gave me hope in that I could still conceive even with my diminishing ovarian reserve. He tried multiple things to get me to ovulate through medications
Bringing your spouse to the appointment helps immensely as he seems to like to meet them. He is thorough at trying to figure a solution to all problems.
The clinic is separate from the main campus of the hospital. it is nice and private. warm and inviting and the rooms where plans are discussed are homey feeling and not like a office setting or regular exam room which gives you a more relaxed feel.
costs for most office visits are covered by my insurance. all medications that are prescribed are not. testing like labs and ultrasounds are partially covered because I work for another hospital in town.
+ Read more- Read less

I’m not sure how he does it, but Dr. Rowan is one of the most attentive dr’s I have ever had. He is always available to answer questions, and makes sure you understand every aspect of the treatment. I would recommend him to anyone dealing with infertility issues.... First iui we did letrozole for 5 days, and then trigger shot, and an iui. That one ended up failing. Second treatment we did letrozole, steroid, trigger, and iui.
They [West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine] are really good at communicating with you throughout the treatments. They explain everything to you in detail each time you are in there. They are quick with getting any type of blood work results to you, and are always available to call if you have any questions or concerns.... The nursing staff is the best. They are always so kind, and show so much compassion.
I feel like a human at Dr. Rowan’s office, because I am always heard. They listen to every concern, and answer every question I have in detail.
First iui we did letrozole for 5 days, and then trigger shot, and an iui. That one ended up failing. Second treatment we did letrozole, steroid, trigger, and iui. That resulted in pregnancy, but ended in a miscarriage at 11 weeks 4 days due to a chromosome issue. Third iui was letrozole, and trigger shot, then iui. This one failed, and when we tried to started another iui we found that I had a cyst from the treatment. We are currently taking some time off.
They are really good at communicating with you throughout the treatments. They explain everything to you in detail each time you are in there. They are quick with getting any type of blood work results to you, and are always available to call if you have any questions or concerns.

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Other
He [Dr. Shon Rowan] spoke to you on a level you understood. Every time you went to dr office you would personally see and speak to dr rowan after the U/S or whatever you are having done. When you feel you cant take anymore and have partial melt downs he talks with you and sees what you are wanting to do. He never gave any false hope which for some may not be a positive thing but it helps you understand where you are at and where you stand in your treatment
[The nurses at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine were]...Very well educated with any questions i had when i would call. Typically saw the same nurse but i have a bad memory for names. Very compassionate when they see its not going as it is suppose to...Each IUI cost around 700.00 A sheet was given where it would cost all together with medications for IVF around 14,000 give ot take if by chance any of my medications would be covered. I personally had no coverage for anything including any testing to see where the problem lied with why we werent getting pregnant
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Other
On first visit he did tests then sat down and explained everything not being rushed and let you ask whatever questions you may have. After couple IUI fails if he doesnt think its going to work due to unforseen circumstances he didnt waste your money by continually trying and moved to next step. Explained before reasons why he may next be able to retrieve eggs so that you as the patient arent going in knowing you have so many eggs yet he was unable to retrieve. Gives you everything from the beginning and doesnt completely sugar coat what may or may not happen but in a very polite professional kind way!
If you want a dr that will sit down and speak to you on your level and do all he can but will also tell you when he cant instead of having you go through hoops of medications and failed attempts. But he will also do all he can to get you that baby you want then he is the man you want:)
He spoke to you on a level you understood. Every time you went to dr office you would personally see and speak to dr rowan after the U/S or whatever you are having done. When you feel you cant take anymore and have partial melt downs he talks with you and sees what you are wanting to do. He never gave any false hope which for some may not be a positive thing but it helps you understand where you are at and where you stand in your treatment
5 of femara for 2 cycles with shot for timed ovulation for the iui which both failed. 3rd iui was given 7.5 of femara but only side that may have been blocked produced so cancelled after U/S for rest of IUI
Only thing i had any issues with was first time going i didnt realize the fertility clinic was in the side door so i sat downstairs in the OB/GYN part until someone noticed that we were there then sent us upstairs. Very nice environment!
We hadnt gotten that far because during time i was taking birth control and about to start baseline for IVF I got pulmonary embolisms so waiting to be cleared but will update if possible

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
He [Dr. Shon Rowan] takes the time to explain your treatment plan...He’s very compassionate. Takes time out to assure he will do everything that he can to accomplish a pregnancy for us. Understand about work schedules and having to take a break from treatments. Very glad to be under his care...First IUI - Femara 2.5mg for 5 days. Pengryl trigger shot 10000. Progesterone suppositories. Second IUI - Femara 5mg. Pengryl trigger shot 10000. Progesterone suppositories. Third IUI - Femara 7.5mg. Pengryl trigger shot 10000. Progesterone suppositories. All negative pregnancy tests.
They [nurses at West Virginia University Center for Reproductive Medicine] are absolutely wonderful! Always greeting you with a smile. Will cheer you up if having a bad day...3 IUI’s $1,413...Compassionate and personable. Will get back to you with results in a timely manner. Very easy to make an appointment and organized. Always professional and happy to help you in any way. Very nice clinic
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Don’t hesitate to ask questions!
He takes the time to explain your treatment plan
They are absolutely wonderful! Always greeting you with a smile. Will cheer you up if having a bad day.
3 IUI’s $1,413
Did not do IVF with this doctor.