5.4

Colorado Springs - Shady Grove
4125 Briargate Parkway, Suite 350
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
719-314-3333

At the beginning, Dr. Murray seemed really patient and I was excited to work with her. It took us a few months between our initial appointments before we decided to try IUI. ... I am 36. I have very regular cycles (26-28 days), and my husband's sperm looks, for the most part, good. There was a slight possibility of a motility issue. I have one endometrial cysts (about 5cm) on each ovary. ... We recently went through our first IUI cycle.
Communication about pricing was a challenge. I was given one price and charged something else. Though, I was able to talk to the clinic [Advanced Repro Med (U of CO)] and get a bill changed because I was given a price that was half of what I'd been charged. ... I felt listened to and my questions were answered. I did feel like I had reexplain myself/situation each time, or remind them of one thing or another, though.
How was your experience with Shona Murray at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
At the beginning, Dr. Murray seemed really patient and I was excited to work with her. It took us a few months between our initial appointments before we decided to try IUI. Once we did decide to go that route, I had several appointments, ultrasounds and the IUI and I didn't see her for even one of those appointments. It was only nurses, who I felt listened to by, but it was surprising and disappointing to not see the doctor again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shona Murray at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
Be prepared with lots of questions because that's how you'll get most of your information.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shona Murray at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
With the nurses, I felt like I was paid attention to, and like my questions weren't annoying. With Dr. Murray, she didn't explain very much to me and I wasn't sure if I was asking the right questions. I just wished she'd have spend more time helping me understand why we were struggling with fertility.
Describe the protocols Shona Murray used in your cycles at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO) and their degree of success.
We recently went through our first IUI cycle. I was prescribed Clomid for 5 days and then vagifem for another five days. Once my follicles (1, maybe 2) reached 18cm, I gave myself the trigger shot. I was inseminated 36 hours later. The cycle did not end in pregnancy. I'm not certain what the rational was behind trying the IUI cycle other than we'd been trying to conceive for a year and a half and I am 36. I have very regular cycles (26-28 days), and my husband's sperm looks, for the most part, good. There was a slight possibility of a motility issue. I have one endometrial cysts (about 5cm) on each ovary.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
I had a couple different nurses, and I don't remember names. Each one was compassionate and kind. I felt listened to and my questions were answered. I did feel like I had reexplain myself/situation each time, or remind them of one thing or another, though.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Communication about pricing was a challenge. I was given one price and charged something else. Though, I was able to talk to the clinic and get a bill changed because I was given a price that was half of what I'd been charged. They listened to me, and helped get that taken care of, though it was a frustrating process. The clinic is comfortable, the consultation rooms are nice. I would say there was nothing strikingly awesome or terrible about it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shona Murray at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
I'm not positive on all these numbers, but here are my guesses. My insurance didn't cover anything so these may be reduced prices. Consultation- $250 (?) HSG- $800 HSG follow up appt $250 Ultrasounds- $250 IUI $450 Again these are guesses, I don't remember exactly.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
I'd been scheduled for an STD test, and the clinic (not the fertility clinic, but the testing lab) was going to charge me $950. I called and asked the clinic about it and they said to tell them it was through the fertility clinic that I needed this test done, in which case it'd only cost $125. They hadn't provided that information to me beforehand, and I almost paid $950.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
She didn’t seem to want to hear my questions or acknowledge my concerns.... Dr. Murray seems competent, but she doesn’t seem to really care about me as an individual. She also came across as too busy for questions and impatient at times. Also, they don’t have access to all tests that may need to be done and didn’t refer elsewhere.... Try IUI 3 times and consider IVF if unsuccessful. She suggested not removing fibroids (some about 7cm). First iui was with clomid, second with letrazole.
They [U of Co] don’t offer details of your visit through the portal (only description is “ultrasound” or “labs”), so you have to pay for all your records. It takes a long time to get an initial appointment (2 months). The doctors aren’t super friendly, but the staff is good.... The nurses here are very good and caring. They are not super easy to get a hold of,but do get back to you in a reasonable time. The front office staff is very friendly—Shelly is very compassionate and always helpful. The gal who takes blood is super nice too.
Ask if there’s anything else that should be looked into that isn’t offered at this office.
She didn’t seem to want to hear my questions or acknowledge my concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO). (Assigned nurse: Jodi and Jeannie )
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
They don’t offer details of your visit through the portal (only description is “ultrasound” or “labs”), so you have to pay for all your records. It takes a long time to get an initial appointment (2 months). The doctors aren’t super friendly, but the staff is good.
IUI is about $500 with the 40% discount. Ultrasounds are around $240, but our insurance covered those. The really stressful part is that if you want to try billing insurance, you lose the 40% discount. Seems really unfair and the front desk won’t work with you on it. I called the billing department, though and was able to work out the discount when insurance didn’t cover the IUI.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
The nurse forgot to tell me to order my ovidril online. Prescription was in, but I didn’t know that I needed to order it and where from. They need a step by step process sheet for new patients.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Murray was curt and unsympathetic at times. Did not communicate with the staff about my treatment and was frustrated with me for their mistakes. She did not perform any of the big parts of my transfer. At my final appointment she made incredibly rude comments about my fertility moving forward and the future of our family. She also made very negative assumptions about my condition that were not backed up by any tests whatsoever...
The receptionist [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO) - Colorado Springs] is extremely unfriendly and can be rude when asked questions. The nursing staff seems uninformed and made several mistakes in my time there. I had to follow up on things they told me they would take care of and everything seemed disorganized. No one assisted us with understanding the financial pieces and discussing insurance. We were made to feel that using our insurance was wrong and a pain for them. We were also given different pricing by different people, charged for procedures that never took place and got attitude for trying to clarify financial or insurance questions...
Be your own advocate and speak up. Don't trust them to communicate well and ask questions about your care. She would not be the doctor I would choose to see in this practice. Always ask them to test first before they make assumptions about your care. If there is a change in drugs, make sure that all staff are on the same page and that you are not prescribed wrong medications.
Many mistakes were made, no sympathy or concern. Communication about treatment was extremely poor. Appointments were very brief and comments were made about adoption that were extremely insensitive to our situation.
We used birth control, estrogen patches and vaginal progesterone. We used ultrasounds to check lining and a stitch was put in my cervix for the transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO). (Assigned nurse: Jodi)
Many communication issues, messed up medications, forgot to send schedules, sent wrong dates on schedules and failed to follow up. I had to call numerous times in a 3 month period to clear up mistakes, to get correct dates, to handle medication that was given in error and to clarify and follow up on misdirection of my care.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
The receptionist is extremely unfriendly and can be rude when asked questions. The nursing staff seems uninformed and made several mistakes in my time there. I had to follow up on things they told me they would take care of and everything seemed disorganized. No one assisted us with understanding the financial pieces and discussing insurance. We were made to feel that using our insurance was wrong and a pain for them. We were also given different pricing by different people, charged for procedures that never took place and got attitude for trying to clarify financial or insurance questions.
Our transfer cost in total around 7 thousand including medications.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
Birth control was not given in time and so a cycle was postponed, then the wrong birth control was given by a nurse (not cleared by the doctor) which resulted in worsening of cysts and a cancelled cycle. The doctor upon learning of the wrong birth control blamed the patient, not the nurse the prescribed it. Then the wrong dates were put on the schedule, wrong appointments were scheduled and rescheduled resulting in confusion and major frustration. I had to call the clinic for results when I was told they would call me. In my very sensitive appointment after my failed frozen transfer, I was told that my ovarian reserve was so terrible that the Dr. may not consider doing another round for us even though my levels had not been checked in several years. After being checked a month later at another clinic, my levels were found to be within normal limits. Dr. Murray told me that we should consider adoption although that might be a problem for the adopted child as we already had our biological child. My appointment with her was cut very short by another staff member interrupting and telling her that she was late for her next appointment and she left me crying in the office with very little sympathy. Several months later we received bills from the clinic for procedures that never took place and it took multiple calls to get the charges taken off of our bill.
Colorado Springs

She [Dr. Shona Murray] wanted me to bypass clomid and letrozole completely because she didn't believe they had good results (even though I had never tried either of those) and placed me on follistim/gonal f. Although she monitored me very closely, when I did not respond to the medication as she had hoped she began to become openly very frustrated; she told me that she had "never" had a patient like me before and she wanted me to bypass IUI (without trying with clomid/letrozole) and go to IVF. She also quoted the success statistics per cycle of timed intercourse with injections to be the same or higher than an IUI cycle. I'm a RN and we left her care after I spent time reading the medical guidelines and newest published research studies which I was fortunate to have access to- all of which contradicted her approach.
Strengths [of U of CO -Co Springs]: Small office which makes it easier to not feel like a number. Typically don't have to even sign in after the 2nd appointment. Nurses are amazing. Lab technicians are also very kind. Weaknesses: ultrasounds were never completed on Saturday only Sunday which I felt for optimal timing should be open 7 days a week. Weekend appointments are with whoever is on call and they don't convey their results to the primary doctor. I had a cycle cancelled due to lack of communication between the on call provider. Monitoring appointments typically ALWAYS ran behind by about 1 hr. Billing can be difficult to coordinate with insurance-I was told my insurance definitely would not cover IUI which turned out to be false.
When I first met Dr. Murray she was skeptical that I even had infertility even though we had been trying to conceive for a year and I was convinced there was something wrong. She wanted us to continue trying on our own for several more months and I refused and we began timed intercourse cycles.
Make sure you are your own advocate and familiarize yourself with different treatment options, etc.
My first encounter with Dr. Murray I felt like she really cared about me as an individual and would work well with us to achieve our goals of pregnancy. However, as the months progressed she became more blunt, rushed, and sometimes came across as uncaring.
Began with timed intercourse cycles. She wanted me to bypass clomid and letrozole completely because she didn't believe they had good results (even though I had never tried either of those) and placed me on follistim/gonal f. Although she monitored me very closely, when I did not respond to the medication as she had hoped she began to become openly very frustrated; she told me that she had "never" had a patient like me before and she wanted me to bypass IUI (without trying with clomid/letrozole) and go to IVF. She also quoted the success statistics per cycle of timed intercourse with injections to be the same or higher than an IUI cycle. I'm a RN and we left her care after I spent time reading the medical guidelines and newest published research studies which I was fortunate to have access to- all of which contradicted her approach.
The nurses were wonderful and probably the reason I stayed as long as I did. Jeanie did most of my monitoring appointments and was always so incredibly kind. She comforted me many times when I was in tears about the results of the ultrasound. She also was incredibly thoughtful about preserving my privacy during ultrasounds (such as keeping the room dark, drape in place, etc). The few ultrasounds I had with Dr. Murray she kept the lights bright, and threw the drape completely off me.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Strengths: Small office which makes it easier to not feel like a number. Typically don't have to even sign in after the 2nd appointment. Nurses are amazing. Lab technicians are also very kind. Weaknesses: ultrasounds were never completed on Saturday only Sunday which I felt for optimal timing should be open 7 days a week. Weekend appointments are with whoever is on call and they don't convey their results to the primary doctor. I had a cycle cancelled due to lack of communication between the on call provider. Monitoring appointments typically ALWAYS ran behind by about 1 hr. Billing can be difficult to coordinate with insurance-I was told my insurance definitely would not cover IUI which turned out to be false.
Most was paid by insurance
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
Several times had to call the on call physician because I was not called with my lab results/dose adjustments for that day.
Colorado Springs

I was never told about my egg reserve being low [by Dr. Shona Murray]. I was told I was fine...I felt really good at the start, but I did an IUI in December and before my 2 week wait was over she had me come in and acted like she already knew it wasn't going to work. She just kept saying that really sucks and Im sorry. This was a horrible way to go into this waiting period. If she had reservations why didn't she go over those with us? Recommend something else? She just assumed it wouldn't work with no explanation to us at all.
Everyone was very nice and always explained what they were doing [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine]...wanted to see another doctor prior to going forward with IVF and this clinic made it so difficult to get my records transferred it was horrible. They were overly rude about the whole process as well, made me never want to go back. Like second options are not allowed...Very organized and polite. However, they do not give you definitive answers to what is going on. I wish I had asked more questions. Be sure to ask as lots of questions, get the answers, then move forward with treatment.
She is very un attached, and does not think before she speaks. I wish she would have explained things better, the next fertility doctor we saw told us that I had low egg reserve; she never told us this information. Not once.
Make sure to ask lots of questions, get all the answers you need. She wont freely discuss everything.
I took clomiPHENE (CLOMID) 50 mg tablet and did IUI. Then 2ww and pregnancy test.
Everyone was very nice and always explained what they were doing.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
I dont remember any pricing.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
I was never told about my egg reserve being low. I was told I was fine. I also wanted to see another doctor prior to going forward with IVF and this clinic made it so difficult to get my records transferred it was horrible. They were overly rude about the whole process as well, made me never want to go back. Like second options are not allowed.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
At one point I was kept waiting to meet with her [Dr. Murray] for 30 minutes and could hear myself referred to by symptoms and age and not name from the next room “that one with the stim meds and unexplained infertility” etc. ... An experienced provider who seems to run through the motions. ... She was very sought after and had a waitlist for appointments. My perception was that she had her routine and wanted to go through the motions. ...
Location [Advanced Repro Med (U of CO0 is strange and is just in an office building. They do NOT do IVF at their practice. This is misleading. You must travel to Denver for those services but this is in no way stated until you are already well into receiving care. ... The amount of information received varied depending on which nurse you had for the day. Jodi was very organized and helpful with all of the scheduling and medication ordering.
An experienced provider who seems to run through the motions. Clinically skilled but probably overworked. She was very sought after and had a waitlist for appointments. My perception was that she had her routine and wanted to go through the motions.
Be prepared to wait for an Appt. Once you are in, then it’s much easier to be seen. I felt like the treatment wasn’t as personalized as I would like and they wanted to just keep trying different things. Their approach was very conservative.
There were times where it seemed that she didn’t remember my case or background information. At one point I was kept waiting to meet with her for 30 minutes and could hear myself referred to by symptoms and age and not name from the next room “that one with the stim meds and unexplained infertility” etc.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Location is strange and is just in an office building. They do NOT do IVF at their practice. This is misleading. You must travel to Denver for those services but this is in no way stated until you are already well into receiving care.
Our insurance did not cover anything outside of times intercourses which was a factor when choosing what treatments to pursue.
Colorado Springs

Dr Murray may be a good fit for other couples. Couples that are young, in perfect health and willing to work with a textbook Dr. For us, she was unable to be creative or entertain any shred of hope. There were a lot of difficulties with our case, but there were a lot of positive things too that were completely ignored. ...T he only option she have my wife and I was to accept a doner egg.
Clean and comfortable. The atmosphere [of Advanced Reproductive Medicine] is relaxing. As far as clinics go, there didn't seem to be any drawbacks that I noticed. The couches were comfortable. The temperature was fine. It was soothing and didn't make me of my wife anxious. ... [Nursing staff] Great group who were friendly and helpful. ...
Have a back up and get a second opinion.
There was absolutely zero compassion from Dr Murry. She talked to us like we were just wasting her time. Instead of talking about options, all she did was repeating herself on how low the odds were for conceiving to the point I had to interrupt her to let her know she's made her point, we do understand and there was no need to keep saying the same thing over and over. My wife and I had already done our research and didn't need to hear how unlikely it was 8 times. We wanted to hear that she understood our position and we were willing to take a chance regardless of how low the odds were.
The only option she have my wife and I was to accept a doner egg.
Great group who were friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is relaxing. As far as clinics go, there didn't seem to be any drawbacks that I noticed. The couches were comfortable. The temperature was fine. It was soothing and didn't make me of my wife anxious.
Consult, seamen analysis, ovarian reserve
Describe Shona Murray's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
We declined to be treated by Dr Murray.
Colorado Springs

She [Dr. Murray] took the time to personally do my ultrasounds and explain things to me... Towards the end I didn't see her much. Some of her comments had set me off a little. She said quite a few times at the start of my 3rd cycle, "just get pregnant this time" or things along those lines. She was very good at explaining things and making sure I knew what to expect....1st cycle: 50 units of follistim for 12 nights with trigger. 1 18mm follicle 2nd cycle: 75 units of follistim for 11 days with trigger.
Had a bad experience with nurses [Advanced Reproductive Med (U of CO)]. Had to correct the information they told me multiple times and were completely insensitive... Billing was easy. Great location. Generally they were delayed. Nursing assistants were amazing. Took a while to get a call back. Wish they would be better about being timely. Clean offices. Good ultrasound tech
She was good. Towards the end I didn't see her much. Some of her comments had set me off a little. She said quite a few times at the start of my 3rd cycle, "just get pregnant this time" or things along those lines. She was very good at explaining things and making sure I knew what to expect.
Do your research
She took the time to personally do my ultrasounds and explain things to me
1st cycle: 50 units of follistim for 12 nights with trigger. 1 18mm follicle 2nd cycle: 75 units of follistim for 11 days with trigger. 2 mature follicles 3rd cycle: 75 units for 11 days. 1 mature follicle
Had a bad experience with nurses. Had to correct the information they told me multiple times and were completely insensitive
Costs of those were covered. An ultrasound runs about $250

2019, Consult
The nurses [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine] are amazing and very friendly! The clinic cans do blood work in house which is amazing and there are two doctors to choose from. I felt that the office was small and paper as a new patient is long and only available to be printed at the office...My husband and I felt very discouraged after our visit with the doctor [Dr. Shona Murray] she body shammed us both and did not give us a lot of hope for the future. There was not greeting at the start of our meeting she was cold and used phrases like “with that semen that is no possibility”...We were fully aware that we have some weight loss to do along with lifestyle changes but Dr. Murray treated us as if we were disgusting to her...
I would never see Dr. Murray again she was rude, unprofessional, and had a God complex not to mention she body shamed my husband and I. We were fully aware that we have some weight loss to do along with lifestyle changes but Dr. Murray treated us as if we were disgusting to her.
To treat people with compassion and to have some humility.
My husband and I felt very discouraged after our visit with the doctor she body shammed us both and did not give us a lot of hope for the future. There was not greeting at the start of our meeting she was cold and used phrases like “with that semen that is no possibility”.
The nurses were amazing and very friendly, especially during my blood draw.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
The nurses are amazing and very friendly! The clinic cans do blood work in house which is amazing and there are two doctors to choose from. I felt that the office was small and paper as a new patient is long and only available to be printed at the office.
Not sure have not been billed yet except for a Semen Analysis that was around $49 after insurance.
Colorado Springs

I wish she [Dr. Shona Murray] would have been more thourogh in her advice and dug deeper into my dx. I felt as though my treatment was a blanket protocol rather than being customized to my dx and results. She made sure to explain any risks with medications and my husband and I were provided a private comfortable area to discuss everything with her...We started with letrozole as Clomid with previous Dr. Did not look hopeful. Monitored via ultrasound used a trigger shot when Dr felt appropriate. 2 cycles we tried it I with no success. No male infertility factor...Everything seemed non shallant.
We started with letrozole [at Advanced Reproductive Medicine] as Clomid with previous Dr. Did not look hopeful. Monitored via ultrasound used a trigger shot when Dr felt appropriate. 2 cycles we tried it I with no success. No male infertility factor...Private comfortable setting. Treatment did not seem personalized. Nursing team is compassionate. Opened weekends in some cases if treatment dictates it. Worked with my insurance. Medication prices seemed to match average prices elsewhere...Be your own advocate push for more...I wish she [Dr. Shona Murray] would have been more thourogh in her advice and dug deeper into my dx.
I wish she would have been more thourogh in her advice and dug deeper into my dx. I felt as though my treatment was a blanket protocol rather than being customized to my dx and results. She made sure to explain any risks with medications and my husband and I were provided a private comfortable area to discuss everything with her.
Be your own advocate push for more. Whatever more may be in your situation. Do your own research and keep a journal.
Everything seemed non shallant. I realize that it is just another patient just another day for them but for the patient it absolutely is not.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
600$ per lui. 100$ per trigger shot. 50$ deductible every visit. Rest was covered by insurance