6.8

Simon Kipersztok (retired) works at

3010 Crain Highway
Waldorf, MD 20601
301.705.9923

Dr. Kipersztok very much cared about me as a patient, but it didn't seem to show until after we failed a couple times. He personally made time to call me, even on his days off, with results and other important news during my cycles...Different REs did my retrievals and transfers, even though Dr. Kipersztok was my primary RE. For the third cycle, it felt much more like he personally cared about my case, especially since we had two miserable failures preceding this. He requested to personally do both my retrieval and transfer, and that was the cycle that worked.
The nurses [Shady Grove - Waldorf] sometimes assumed that you knew what you were doing when you had no clue...Billing can be frustrating to work with...It was very difficult to understand billing statements and procedure codes... I also had to call in to clarify conflicting information between my original med plan and voicemails left after monitoring to ensure that they meant to make a change...Perhaps due to its size, I often felt like a number rather than a patient...
How was your experience with Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Advocate for yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for the level of communication you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
For the first two cycles, I felt very much so treated as a number. Different REs did my retrievals and transfers, even though Dr. Kipersztok was my primary RE. For the third cycle, it felt much more like he personally cared about my case, especially since we had two miserable failures preceding this. He requested to personally do both my retrieval and transfer, and that was the cycle that worked.
Describe the protocols Simon Kipersztok (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I started with the generic protocol (Menopur + Gonal-F) for the first cycle. We did an eSET on day 5 that was unsuccessful (chemical pregnancy) and didn't have any embryos that made it to the freezer. For the next cycle, we added Lupron to my protocol in addition to the Menopur and Gonal-F. That produced almost double the eggs of the first cycle. We transferred two embryos on day 5 and none made it to the freezer again. This cycle was also unsuccessful. For the third cycle, we kept the same medication protocol, but transferred two embryos on day 3 and had one embryo make it to the freezer on day 5. That was the cycle that worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
The nurses sometimes assumed that you knew what you were doing when you had no clue. It was also a toss-up on when they would call you with test or monitoring results. For my second cycle, my nurse forgot to send my prescription for my medications to the specialty pharmacy. We didn't catch that until my baseline scan and I had to scramble to get my meds in time to start my cycle. Monitoring always seemed very rushed in the mornings and there wasn't always a lot of time for questions or personal care.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This clinic has a wide network across my larger geographical area. My normal clinic was 45 minutes from my house. It was closed on the weekends, so I had to drive 90 minutes on the weekends for monitoring. Perhaps due to its size, I often felt like a number rather than a patient. Billing can be frustrating to work with, as it is in a separate office and my clinic's staff would simply tell me to call them. It was very difficult to understand billing statements and procedure codes. Since I had to pay a significant amount out of pocket, this was very frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
We paid approximately $7500 per cycle for clinic costs plus approximately $3000 per cycle for medication. That was with insurance covering 50% of both the clinic costs and the medication.
Describe Simon Kipersztok (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Kipersztok highly recommends eSET, especially for the first cycle. He will always recommend eSET, but will yield to your decision if you would like to transfer two embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nurse forgot to call in my meds to the specialty pharmacy for my second cycle. After my baseline monitoring, I had to spend the day on the phone with the pharmacy and the clinic to make sure everything was getting ordered and approved by insurance in time to start my cycle. There was also a time or two where I was told that they would call that day with results and I didn't hear from them until the next day. I also had to call in to clarify conflicting information between my original med plan and voicemails left after monitoring to ensure that they meant to make a change. Sometimes the change was intentional and sometimes it was a mistake.
Waldorf

Dr. K called me personally after my retrieval, my transfer, and my chemical pregnancy. He took the time to answer our questions and address our concerns during our consultations and the numerous monitoring appointments...Dr. Kipersztock was compassionate and seemed to be invested in our success. He was optimistic and yet honest about my condition and our chances of success. I felt that he did the best he could with the volume of patients that he was seeing. I never felt like he did not care. He had good bedside manner during my monitoring appointments and he was understanding and patient when we became frustrated with our insurance company.
The staff [at Shady Grove] was pretty friendly (there has been some turnover since our last treatment), and we got to know them throughout our treatment process. Some are more compassionate about what is going on with you than others, some are more business oriented. I felt they were honest about whether we were good candidates for certain treatments, and about our chances of success. Though they will provide information on financing options, I wish there were more options in terms of payments. In my opinion, the credit company they use is predatory and charges an extraordinary loan interest/initiation rate. You will feel like part of a herd. That's the nature of a high volume fertility treatment. But I firmly believe that you decide what you get out of the staff and doctors. If you want to fly under the radar, you can. If y
Dr. Kipersztok will answer your questions, but you should bring them with you to your visit.
Due to our insurance coverage, we had to do 6 cycles of a lower cost treatment before going for IVF. Dr. K went with our preferences for timed intercourse/ovulation induction due to our financial restraints. The cost for 6 cycles of IUI was too much for us at the time, so we worked with us to satisfy the requirements for our insurance to cover half of the IVF cost. Dr. K also appealed to the director of our insurance company on our behalf (to move forward with IVF after 4-5 cycles), though it was denied. We really appreciated this. He was very clear that IVF was probably the only way we would be able to conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nikki LaChapelle)
It is difficult to not feel like "just a number" when you are going through numerous cycles of fertility treatments with a high volume clinic. No matter how wonderful the staff is, you cannot help but feel like part of a herd. The staff asked how we were doing at each visit and explained what was going on at each monitoring visit. They use fertility jargon so you have to come to understand the lingo, which I think is just about anywhere. Our nurse was very prompt and good with explaining next steps and instructions. She was accessible by email and phone, and we felt she cared about our success. The financial coordinator is very clear cut and to the point, which I guess is to be expected. She was patient and explained when we had questions about our bills, but we had to ask specific questions to get all the information we wanted/needed.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I did not know what to expect when we first started out with treatments, but we chose the clinic because of the reputation and its proximity to home and work. The staff was pretty friendly (there has been some turnover since our last treatment), and we got to know them throughout our treatment process. Some are more compassionate about what is going on with you than others, some are more business oriented. I felt they were honest about whether we were good candidates for certain treatments, and about our chances of success. Though they will provide information on financing options, I wish there were more options in terms of payments. In my opinion, the credit company they use is predatory and charges an extraordinary loan interest/initiation rate. You will feel like part of a herd. That's the nature of a high volume fertility treatment. But I firmly believe that you decide what you get out of the staff and doctors. If you want to fly under the radar, you can. If you want to be actively engaged with the team, be sure to have your questions ready. Do not feel bad about asking questions, because you are paying a good amount of money for your care and this is treatment you will be emotionally invested in. If you don't like a particular doctor/nurse, you can change to another doctor/nurse. At my particular office, there was only one doctor and two nurses, but you will see other doctors/nurses when you go for procedures at the bigger offices.
The monitoring appointments were very early in the morning- usually 7am-8:45am. This worked for me personally because of my work schedule, but it might not work for everyone. The phlebotomist was very nice and competent at my clinic. The clinic I went to was smaller than the other ones, so I did not mind the monitoring so much. However, the clinic was closed on weekends and holidays, so for monitoring on those days i had to drive an hour away. At the larger clinics, you definitely feel like a cattle in line. The nurse would call by 3pm with results and instructions.
Due to our insurance, we had to cover 50% of all procedures, sonograms, blood work, and x-rays. We paid for all our medication out of pocket. The cost of IVF was about 9,000 and our insurance covered half. The medication for IVF was about 2,000-3,000. Between our IVF and our 6 ovulation induction cycles, we spent almost 20,000.
Due to my unicornuate uterus, Dr. K was clear with us that a single embryo would be in the best interest of my health and a potential baby's health, especially knowing my desire to not have to terminate a fetus if two embryos did implant.