9.7

Cornell

Sinem Karipcin works at

5 Columbus Circle

Treated 2019 - 2020
Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals [with Dr. Karipcin] back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer...has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
We had a very positive experience with Columbia Fertility Center. Everyone from the front desk, to the phlebotomists, to the sonographers, to the nursing staff and care coordinators were attentive, efficient, and extremely friendly. We had dozens of appointments over the course of a year and rarely, if ever, had to wait (even in the midst of the covid pandemic). The space is bright, friendly, and soothing and extremely clean. The OR is the back of the office which makes it a one stop shop. It truly came to feel like a second home (for better or for worse). There is a 24-7 emergency help line that we made use of several times. It is probably important to know that you will not see your doctor during most of your monitoring appointments and they may not be on call when you have procedures (IUI/IVF). Our case was complicated in certain ways (e.g., I have a tilted cervix which made my IUIs and some additional tests hellish) and as such Dr. K made a special effort to be there for most of our big appointments.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
We have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. K. Not only is she an attentive and compassionate person but she is also extremely competent as a doctor. We never felt rushed during our appointments and she was responsive and thorough when we had questions. She knew our case inside and out. We ran into a variety of obstacles due to my diminished ovarian reserve and egg quality issues and she adjusted our protocol accordingly - at each stage we had better outcomes than the last. Throughout our travails, she was consistently positive/optimistic yet also realistic about the possible outcomes. If we decide to have more children in the future, we absolutely plan to continue on with Dr. K and in the interim we will highly recommend her to friends and family who encounter their own struggles with infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Our advice is not anything specific about Dr. K - we would advise new patients that this process is very likely to take longer than you anticipate and to adjust your expectations accordingly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin (aka Dr. K) has a wonderful way of making you feel seen and known. She knows your case inside and out, and is able to talk about it on the fly during appointments and procedures. She is quite genuine and makes you feel like she cares about you and is rooting for your success.
Describe the protocols Sinem Karipcin used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
We tried for 6 months before seeking out a reproductive endocrinologist (by that point I was age 36). During that period, I had two miscarriages. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and Dr. K also suspected that I had some endometriosis. My husband had low sperm morphology (2%). Our sequence of treatments was in part based on our insurance coverage which required at least three rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF. As such, we did three IUI cycles – the first one natural (no additional drugs) and the second two medicated – one with clomid and one with letrazole. We had a chemical pregnancy with the first and the second two were unsuccessful. From there we moved on to IVF. Thankfully, our insurance covers three retrievals/transfers (what luck/privilege as we could not go forward otherwise). Because of my diminished ovarian reserve, we planned to do all three retrievals back to back for batching before moving on to a transfer. 1) First Cycle: Meds: 225 gonal; 225 menopur; cetrotide starting day 9 of treatment. Unfortunately, I was unresponsive. I only produced 2 follicles and Dr. K switched us to IUI instead of a retrieval. The IUI was unsuccessful. 2) Second Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-8 --> 225 gonal starting day 9; 150 menopur; clomid days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 7 of treatment. This cycle I produced more eggs and went forward with the retrieval. 8 were retrieved, 7 mature. Unfortunately, most of the eggs had empty zona pellucida (which is the outside shell). As such, only 1-2 were able to be fertilized with ICSI. None made it past day 3. 3) Third Cycle: Meds: 150 gonal days 1-5 --> 225 gonal days 6-8 --> 300 gonal days 9-11; 150 menopur; letrazole days 1-5; cetrotide starting day 9. This cycle 10 were retrieved, 7 were mature, and 5 were fertilized with ICSI. Of those, 2 became day 5 blastocysts and 3 became day 7 blastocysts. We sent them out for genetic testing and the first two tested normal. We planned to take a month off before our final retrieval and somehow, by some miracle, I got pregnant naturally and am just starting my second trimester (fingers crossed). We have one more retrieval covered by our insurance and tentatively plan to go forward in the future (with Dr. K). In the meantime, our two “good” blastocysts are on ice for the future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda Souverain)
Varda trained me on the injections and communicated with us about our medication protocol throughout our IUI and IVF cycles. She was always available through email/the phone and was quite responsive to our questions/needs.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University.
We had incredible insurance coverage (IUIs and IVF meds were fully covered, IVF was covered at 75%). We are waiting on bills for our second IVF retrieval but I believe that we ended up paying $1,300 out of pocket for our first retrieval as well as a handful of $20 copays here and there. I believe we will be paying approximately $100/month for frozen embryo storage.
Describe Sinem Karipcin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
We have yet to get to the transfer phase with Dr. K.
Treated 2019 - 2020
[Dr. Sinem Karipcin] was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment...I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Columbia University Fertility is clean, the staff is professional and they are very good at providing information upfront. Once you decide to work with them, you are matched with a Care team, given their contact information and clear understand of the procedures and protocols. The New York, NY location is also very accessible by public transportation, which was important to me. The biggest bonus is that Columbia Fertility offers a monthly support group for women undergoing fertility treatments (it was also open to non-Columbia patients), which I found helpful.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K always welcomed me with a warm smile. She has a very strong bedside manner. In fact, I noticed that she greets everyone in the clinic by name when she comes in each morning. I felt like I was in excellent hands because she would tell me all of the statistics and even mentioned how some of the statistics were slightly different for African-American women (I'm African-American). At each appointment, Dr. Karipcin would explain next steps, remind me to stay optimistic. She didn't shy away from explaining potential complications that might arise due to my endometriosis and fibroids, but she would always remind me to focus on the positive and that we would deal with any complications as they might arise.
Be sure to share all of your concerns. Dr. Karipcin will address each and every one of them. At one of our first appointments, I came in with a list of questions and concerns. She didn't let me leave until I'd written down notes/answers to each one of them. At one particular appointment, I cried while waiting to get my blood drawn. Dr. Karipcin and Nurse Varda set with me to alleviate my fears while in between patients.
Dr. K was personable, optimistic and realistic at the same time. I wrote that she treated me like a human because she always remember my name, my husband's name and even the purse I brought to each appointment. When scheduling me for morning monitoring, Dr. K and her team (Nurse Varda and Zaria) were always mindful to get me in as early as possible because I'm a teacher.
We did two round of IVF. Our regime consisted of was Gonal F, Menopur and then Centrotide. The trigger injection was Ovidrel and Lupron. Our first retrieval yielded about 8 eggs. The second retrieval yielded 15 eggs. Our IVF rounds were relatively close together (Oct/Nov 2019 & Dec 2019), the insurance company approved it and we wanted to complete them before Christmas. We did the recommended genetic testings for the embryos. So, now we have a total of 6 chromosomally strong embryos that can be transferred. Our original transfer date was postponed due to Covid. So, we did a transfer in May 2020. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Varda)
Nurse Varda and Care Coordinator Zaria were extremely helpful to me. Varda was patient and answered every question in the emails I sent her. I would send emails with like 8 items and she would be sure to answer each question/concern. Zaria was thoughtful enough to call me for scheduling during my teacher breaks or lunchtime, because she knew those were the only times I was free to talk. The nursing staff, including ultrasound technician Rachel, Denaisha and Tanisha who took my blood during morning monitoring were also very welcoming, comforting, professional and funny. There was one appointment (in which we noticed that one of my fibroids was slightly bigger and this absolutely crushed me) and they reminded me to be positive, to pray and then got me focused on sports or some other topic so that I would stop crying, before heading to work. I was very thankful for them and their conversation.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
The morning monitoring hours worked well with my teaching schedule. It was very organized as well.
The majority of our treatment was covered by insurance. In fact, we didn't proceed until we knew it would be covered as "in-network." I usually only had to pay the co-payment. The cost of the IVF medications were not fully covered by insurance but they are now covered in New York State.
Columbia University Fertility does not do multiple embryo transfers. This is very clearly explained in the paperwork that you have to sign prior to embarking on the IVF journey. They are also clear to reiterate this around the retrieval dates. I agreed with Dr. K's approach. Due to my age at the time (36), fibroids and endometriosis, multiple embryo transfers were not recommended. Neither my OB/GYN, Fibroid surgeon, nor Dr. Karipcin recommended multiple embryo transfers.

Treated 2018 - 2019
We went straight to IVF due to my Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Dr. Karipcin said this would help us get the best results in the most time efficient manner (with DOR you don't want to waste time). I was nervous about the drugs and she took my concerns to heart, starting with low doses of most drugs and increasing only when necessary (with my approval)...Dr. Karipcin recommended only transferring 1 frozen embryo because the of splitting and miscarriage risk and we are glad we listened because it did split
This clinic [Conceptions Florida] is excellent. The only weaknesses I could see were the organization of the front desk staff. I got a few confusing phone calls over the year about appointment times. Another time I waited for an hour and a half in the waiting room because my Dr. hadn't been notified I had arrived. The wait times could also be frustrating...The nursing team was excellent and made the experience actually enjoyable.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Dr. Karpicin is the doctor you actually look forward to seeing, even though you would rather not be going through fertility issues. We initially saw another doctor where we felt like we didn't matter at all, and seeing Dr. Karipcin was a breath of fresh air - it was a huge difference. She is warm and caring but also extremely intelligent and informed. She has a wonderful bedside manner but is also straightforward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Don't hesitate to see her if you are questioning your fertility. Write down your questions/concerns before going - she will answer them all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Dr. Karpicin always made us feel like a human rather than a number. She took the time to get to know us personally and ease our fears. She took an interest in our lives and called us by name.
Describe the protocols Sinem Karipcin used in your cycles at Conceptions Florida and their degree of success.
We went straight to IVF due to my Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Dr. Karipcin said this would help us get the best results in the most time efficient manner (with DOR you don't want to waste time). I was nervous about the drugs and she took my concerns to heart, starting with low doses of most drugs and increasing only when necessary (with my approval). The first retrieval, we only got 1 truly good embryo (out of 13 eggs, using ICSI) which we fresh transferred on day 5 (resulting in a chemical pregnancy). A few months later we did another retrieval, slightly adjusting my medications so I would stimulate less but yield higher quality eggs hopefully - it seemed to work because we got 8 eggs but 5 were A and B quality (we did not use ICSI this time per the Dr's recommendation which paid off). Froze all. Transferred 1 A quality Day 5 embryo 3 months after retrieval. This embryo split and we saw 2 heartbeats, but about 7 weeks in, 1 failed. Currently 10+ weeks pregnant with surviving baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea Grey)
The nursing team was excellent and made the experience actually enjoyable. I always looked forward to seeing the whole team. They are professional, organized, responsive and they truly care.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
This clinic is excellent. The only weaknesses I could see were the organization of the front desk staff. I got a few confusing phone calls over the year about appointment times. Another time I waited for an hour and a half in the waiting room because my Dr. hadn't been notified I had arrived. The wait times could also be frustrating - mostly it was inconsistent. Sometimes I would wait 15 minutes and other times an hour - even for a blood draw. However, once you see the Dr or nurses, they give you their undivided attention, so I think that's the trade-off. I never felt rushed. My advice for a new patient would be, if you have long wait times, just know that when it's your turn, you will feel like their #1 patient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Conceptions Florida.
Monitoring appointments are scheduled for all patients from 8-10am. It was usually pretty busy and I would end up waiting or being in the office from 1-2 hours for ultrasound and blood draw. Some days were better than others. I would have loved a specific time to come in, but as mentioned before, once you saw the Dr and nurses, you felt like a VIP.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida.
For 2 egg retrievals, we paid for a package that cost approximately $23,000. We also paid about $6,000 for a frozen transfer. Medications were separate.
Describe Sinem Karipcin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Conceptions Florida.
Dr. Karipcin recommended only transferring 1 frozen embryo because the of splitting and miscarriage risk and we are glad we listened because it did split (but 1 failed so currently pregnant with the singleton).
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Florida?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Conceptions Florida.
The only confusing thing that happened was someone from the front desk cancelled my phone meeting with the Dr. without telling me. That particular person often seemed confused/rude and I think she may have been fired because there is a new front desk staff now.

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. K [Karipcin] made us feel like her only patients! She was extremely compassionate, personalized care to our needs and expectations, and always helped us understand and make decisions. She is personable, friendly, and professional...She not only made sure we understood her plan and reasoning, but it was clear that she understood the nuance of our case, listened to us made adjustments according to our goals and how my wife felt, and gave us sage advice. She even considered various ways to help us financially.
The clinic [Conceptions Florida] is clean, up-to-date, with nice facilities. The staff is professional. The site is easy to get to with several transportation options... Everything is done on site...This nursing staff could run the world. They are extremely knowledgeable about the entire process, are passionate about what they are doing, and are completely organized. I was very impressed with the level of commitment and personalized care they provided.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
My wife and I had a tough time at another clinic prior to finding Dr. K. Everything changed for us after meeting her. She is kind and compassionate, and an extremely intelligent and professional doctor. She not only made sure we understood her plan and reasoning, but it was clear that she understood the nuance of our case, listened to us made adjustments according to our goals and how my wife felt, and gave us sage advice. She even considered various ways to help us financially. The course wasn't easy, and we went through two retrievals and two implantations, but we had no hesitation ever, knowing that we were with the right doctor. She was with us every step of the way! Now we are expecting later this year. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. K to anyone, and have recommended her to several friends and colleagues. We are lucky we found her.
Know you are in good hands! Don't hesitate to ask questions and make sure you are satisfied with your plan.
Dr. K made us feel like her only patients! She was extremely compassionate, personalized care to our needs and expectations, and always helped us understand and make decisions. She is personable, friendly, and professional. She really made us feel comfortable after having a bad experience at another clinic.
During the first round of stimulation, my wife was feeling the side effects of the medication. Dr. K made adjustments during the second round and the treatments were much easier to tolerate.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
The clinic is clean, up-to-date, with nice facilities. The staff is professional. The site is easy to get to with several transportation options. The other physicians there are also fantastic. Everything is done on site.
Treated 2020
For my 1st IVF cycle [with Dr. Karipcin] I used gonal-f, menopur and cetrotide injections leading up to an egg retrieval which produced 14 eggs and 2 embryos. Neither embryo passed pgs testing (which was recommended due to my age). For my 2nd IVF cycle I used gonal-f, menopur and cetrotide again, however the doses were tweaked by Dr. Karipcin which resulted in 25 eggs and 1 embryo that passed pgs testing. After this I had a frozen embryo transfer using estrace pills and progesterone injections which resulted in a current pregnancy.
The nursing staff [at Columbia University] was always accommodating with appointments and appointments tended to be efficient. For example, as a teacher I often needed 7am appointments. I was able to make it to school on time after my morning appointments which was very helpful...Scheduling and appointments tend to be smooth and overall the staff is friendly and responsive to questions. Always be sure to clarify any information in emails regarding treatment as there are many patients being seen. In general all staff respond in a timely manner to any questions or concerns.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin is clear and thoughtful when explaining her course of treatment. For example, we had a setback in our 1st round of IVF and she was ready to talk about the adjustments she would make in the course of treatment for the 2nd round. This made us feel confident in our next steps and resulted in a successful 2nd round of IVF.
I would advise a prospective patient to never hesitate to ask Dr. Karipcin any questions that you have throughout treatment- even if you just need clarification or reassurance about where you are in your treatment process. As a patient you need to advocate for yourself and make sure that your voice is heard. Always communicate your questions and concerns.
Dr. Karipicin provided both a compassionate and pragmatic approach throughout my IVF treatment. She responds quickly and thoughtfully to questions and concerns and has a genuine interest in your wellbeing and success as a patient.
For my 1st IVF cycle I used gonal-f, menopur and cetrotide injections leading up to an egg retrieval which produced 14 eggs and 2 embryos. Neither embryo passed pgs testing (which was recommended due to my age). For my 2nd IVF cycle I used gonal-f, menopur and cetrotide again, however the doses were tweaked by Dr. Karipcin which resulted in 25 eggs and 1 embryo that passed pgs testing. After this I had a frozen embryo transfer using estrace pills and progesterone injections which resulted in a current pregnancy.
The nursing staff was always accommodating with appointments and appointments tended to be efficient. For example, as a teacher I often needed 7am appointments. I was able to make it to school on time after my morning appointments which was very helpful.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
My insurance paid for a portion of each IVF cycle as well as the frozen embryo transfer. The out of pocket expenses for both IVF cycles, inlcuding pgs testing of a total of 3 embryos was about $10,000.
The approach that was used during my treatment was to use a single embryo that passed pgs testing (euploid embryo).
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Karipcin expressed genuine concern with our level of comfort at each stage of the process. She was beyond patient with our countless questions and had a terrific knack for distilling complicated medical processes using easy to understand analogies. She was always available, and quick to respond when spur of the moment questions came up. She made us feel supported every step of the way, and we really couldn't have dreamed of better care.
we did a natural FET cycle [at Columbia University] so as to avoid using additional hormone treatment when there was no empirical evidence that it would be beneficial given our circumstances. And for us: it worked...The staff was friendly and the facilities modern and clean at every visit. We consistently felt well cared for when we visited (which was often). No weaknesses stand out.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
She was always honest with us about the chances for success while also explaining things in such a way that we knew she was setting us up for a positive outcome in every way possible. Dr. Karipcin exuded a genuine concern for us and our comfort level and made us feel cared for and human- not just "another patient." We went in expecting it to be a stressful process but having her in our court made it all so much easier than expected (because we trusted her and knew she had our best interests at heart at every turn).
Don't hesitate to ask your questions- she really wants you to feel comfortable, even if it means explaining something in multiple ways on multiple occasions.
I know that we did a natural FET cycle so as to avoid using additional hormone treatment when there was no empirical evidence that it would be beneficial given our circumstances. And for us: it worked.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
They were excellent and also made us feel cared about throughout the process.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Columbia clinic was excellent. The staff was friendly and the facilities modern and clean at every visit. We consistently felt well cared for when we visited (which was often). No weaknesses stand out.
We had good insurance coverage so this didn't stand out. They were great about handling the billing with the insurer.
Treated 2020
She [Dr. Karipcin] can't be at every single monitoring appointment, so if you have questions afterwards, speak up and reach out. She's great at communicating and she will get back to you!...had a strong preference of only transferring one embryo...consistently made me feel well taken care of during the entire IVF Process, even during Covid, where most of our big meetings were over zoom. She would email me after big procedures (egg retrieval, transfer), just to see how I was feeling.
I absolutely loved Columbia, and I love that they have a "Team" for each doctor. While I think the teams overall could use some work, the concept is great and I think it will only get better and better. I loved having a care coordinator, a nurse, and a financial coordinator I could go to and ask questions to at anytime. The facility is extremely clean and nice. I never waited very long in the waiting room before my appointments. It was an overall great experience.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Sinem Karipcin. We started working with her during the Covid pandemic, so a lot of our large appointments were over zoom. Dr. K consistently checked in with me over email, and was a great communicator throughout the IVF process. There were two times in particular where we were very nervous about a specific protocol, and she called my husband and I after hours (7PM) to talk us through it and ensure we felt comfortable moving forward. From our very first meeting with her, she made us feel confident that this could and would be a success - which was so important for my mental health. She was absolutely wonderful to work with.
Don't be scared to email her if you're not getting what you need from your monitoring appointments. She can't be at every single monitoring appointment, so if you have questions afterwards, speak up and reach out. She's great at communicating and she will get back to you!
Dr. K consistently made me feel well taken care of during the entire IVF Process, even during Covid, where most of our big meetings were over zoom. She would email me after big procedures (egg retrieval, transfer), just to see how I was feeling.
For my egg retrieval, I started taking Gonal F (150 Units) and Menopur (1 vial) for days 1-4. On Day 5 she added in .25 in the AM and PM for days 8-10. I then did my trigger shot on day 8, with the egg retrieval on day 10. We then had 3 day 5 embryos, and 3 day 6 embryos. We did PGT testing, and had 3 normal embryos come back, which we froze. The next month I did a saline sonogram, and then the month following, we did our transfer. I did a natural transfer, meaning we had no medications until the trigger shot + vaginal progesterone suppositories. Our first transfer was successful. I am currently pregnant. For my
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Zaria )
While Dr. K is amazing, her team needs a bit of work. My care coordinator was Zaria, who took quite a while to get back to me. I have a feeling this was due to Covid, and the fact that a lot of them were working from home for the first time. My nurse was Varda and I didn't work with her very often, but she did help us over zoom the first night of our IVF shots which was SO HELPFUL! I actually video-taped it so I could go back and watch it the next night. She completely calmed us down and made us feel so much better about the process.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
My insurance paid for a majority of the costs, but they did not cover some things (like PGT testing).
My doctor had a strong preference of only transferring one embryo.
Columbia University

Don't rush to conclusions if she [Dr. Sinem Karipcin] appears very clinical. She is a very warm and sweet person. She is dedicated and competent...Dr. K. decided to change my treatment and drugs from what my previous doctor had done, so that my eggs would grow at an equal rate and there wouldn't be a variety of mature and not mature eggs during the retrieval. After that cycle of IVF rendered no good embryos, she changed things up again. Then we got 1 good embryo from that. Dr. K performed the embryo transfer and we are currently in our 5th month of pregnancy.
Everyone at Columbia was extremely friendly and compassionate, from the front desk receptionists to the technicians taking blood, to the nurses and care coordinators...When we tallied all the costs, after insurance we spent about 15K out of pocket. During our very first appointment, we talked to a financial adviser who clearly outlined the costs of all the procedures, ones covered and ones not covered, with our kind of insurance. We were satisfied with the outcome and the 15K was worth every penny.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
My husband and I met Dr. K after our previous doctor at the practice moved to California. We liked our previous doctor and were a little apprehensive about have to switch doctors, after we had successfully produced 2 embryos with our other doctor. Dr. K was very clinical when we first met her. She went over and explained some of the lab results that the previous doctor had done, which he hadn't seen before. She appeared very knowledgeable and while we might not have completely understood everything she was talking about, she definitely knew what she was talking about and that made us feel secure. Once treatment started, Dr. K was much more personable and human. She was very much invested in my treatment. She answered my emails promptly and was there during the major events in the treatment. By the end of the treatment, Dr. K was a trusted ally. My mother even came to our last appointment to thank her in person for all her help.
Don't rush to conclusions if she appears very clinical. She is a very warm and sweet person. She is dedicated and competent and that is what you want during a time like this.
I felt like a human. Dr. K at first was very clinical when we first met her. I think she was trying to be reassuring that we were in competent hands and that she knew a lot. We definitely felt like she knew what she was talking about. She went over the work ups and the previous egg retrievals we had undergone with the doctor she was taking over from. As the treatment progressed, she warmed up much more and I got to know her better at every blood or ultrasound appointment. If she wasn't the one doing the ultrasound, she would go out of her way to come in and look at the results before I left. She was very invested in my treatment. Once we graduated from the IVF treatment, my mother came to see her to thank her in person. We all hugged and took pictures. She is a special person and an amazing doctor.
I can't remember everything but I do remember that Dr. K. decided to change my treatment and drugs from what my previous doctor had done, so that my eggs would grow at an equal rate and there wouldn't be a variety of mature and not mature eggs during the retrieval. After that cycle of IVF rendered no good embryos, she changed things up again. Then we got 1 good embryo from that. Dr. K performed the embryo transfer and we are currently in our 5th month of pregnancy.
Everyone at Columbia was extremely friendly and compassionate, from the front desk receptionists to the technicians taking blood, to the nurses and care coordinators. Varda was very personable and sweet. At times she was a little difficult to follow. Her emails sometimes contained typos or odd sentence structure which required follow up phone calls to make sure I understood what she was talking about. She was always available for clarifications.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
When my husband and I arrived at Columbia University, we were impressed with the offices and suites. It is a bright, clean, and welcoming place. The running of the office is very efficient. You never wait too long for routine blood work and ultrasounds. The hours were convenient (7am appointments). They are also open 365 days a year even on New Year's day. The nurses call or email you with next steps within the day. The medication orders are sent to the specialty pharmacy seamlessly. It's really a wonderful place.
I believe her approach was to lean towards single embryo vs. multiple embryo, which was what we wanted too. She was very up front when we asked her about our chances of conceiving after the transfer was done. She offered to do an exam that would test my uterus to see if there was anything that might impede the transfer from being successful. We ended up not going with it. We just did the transfer and it worked.
Columbia University
Before doing another transfer, she [Dr. Sinem Karipcin] decided to test my uterine lining a step that felt like it was delaying us further and felt unnecessary. They discovered that I had endometritis which can take months to treat...When I finally tested negative for endometritis we got the green light from her that we could move forward with our 3rd embryo transfer. the day before our transfer Dr. Karipcin was nearly giddy telling us that she had chosen the best embryo for tomorrows transfer and she seemed as excited as we were!...She asked me and my husband personal questions about our travel plans, life, family. She took the time to get to know me and then REMEMBERED my answers and asked followup questions on later visits!
[Costs at Columbia University] Egg retrieval ~$17K...embryo transfer ~$5K...storage / freezing ~ $2K a year...Very clean, professional, efficient. It's like a beautiful well oiled machine. For first time patients, I would speak up if you have questions about the morning monitoring process! It can be daunting and overwhelming to start fertility treatment, and it is easy to forget what the next step is! They are always a call / email away to help...Nursing staff was attentive, organized and never made me feel like a "number" . Even something as routine as getting my blood drawn over and over, they always referred to my by name, complimented me, asked me personal questions, and gave me tips / tricks to make my blood drawing experience more enjoyable (which I always appreciated because I was usually tense!)
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin is from Turkey and English is her second language. I was honestly biased at first and hesitant to try her. These were my own prejudices in my head, and once I was able to overcome that - I came to really appreciate and love her as my care provider. She made my husband and I laugh and never trivialized our process or journey (took up 4.5 years to get pregnant). She always respected our work / time constraints and never made us feel guilty about living very active and busy lives. Dr. K exuded confidence leading up to our transfer which definitely rubbed off on us! I believe it was Dr. Karipcin's positive and warm bedside manner that made our 3rd transfer more calm, positive, and successful than the previous two.
Don't judge her by her accent. She is very capable, caring and knowledgable.
When taking over my treatment from another Columbia doctor, Dr. Karipcin took the time to get to know me and my fertility past. She din't just rush in (even though I was impatient). Before doing another transfer, she decided to test my uterine lining a step that felt like it was delaying us further and felt unnecessary. They discovered that I had endometritis which can take months to treat. I was very frustrated and discouraged after this diagnosis. Following diagnosis I went through 4 rounds of antibiotics and uterine biopsies to try and get the inflammation of my uterus to go away. The process was long and daunting. When I finally tested negative for endometritis we got the green light from her that we could move forward with our 3rd embryo transfer. the day before our transfer Dr. Karipcin was nearly giddy telling us that she had chosen the best embryo for tomorrows transfer and she seemed as excited as we were! During the transfer my retroverted uterus was hard to see/ find on the monitor, so rather than guiding the catheter with the visual help of the ultrasound, she did unaided transfers off of feel and her past training at Cornell! We are now 8 weeks pregnant and going strong!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Egg retrieval ~$17K embryo transfer ~$5K storage / freezing ~ $2K a year medications ~$500 - $2K depending on stage
Dr. Karipcin said that due to my age, general health and past transfer success (none thus far) she wanted to continue to transfer one egg vs two.

Treated 2017 - 2019
I know Dr.Karipcin strongly recommends transferring just one embryo. She briefly explained the reasons and seemed very passionate about the topic....Dr. Karipcin always called us by first name, had our medical history on mind, was willing to spend as much time as needed explaining next steps and answering questions and she seemed to be genuinely happy or sad about the news we got each cycle...
This clinic [Conceptions Florida] has a great reputation. The nursing staff is really the best in terms of kindness and efficient communication. The worst part is that they have too many patients now and the waiting time is really long every time...Even though I had Alexandra assigned as the primary contact for coordination, I talked to many of the nursing staff. They were all very caring and efficient in their communications...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
My experience with Dr.Sinem Karipcin exceeded my expectations, which were based on experiences with all the rest of doctors in different medical specialities. From the first moment, she showed genuine interest in helping us understand the situation and alternatives resulting in lowering our anxiety. She was always warm and welcoming, as well as very knowledgeable, which made me trust her immediately. My experience was so good with her (and successful) that when I wanted to have a second child, I went straight back to her to ask for her help and guidance.
Ask her not only about all the possible alternatives, but also her recommendation. I think she is really good at reading the patient's emotional and physical status and suggesting the treatment that, considering all things, has the highest probability of success.
I don't remember all details, but until now I have tried the same treatment strategy, based on letrozole for 5 days and a trigger shot. This proved successful the first time and I am still in the process this second time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida. (Assigned nurse: Alexandra Aviles)
Even though I had Alexandra assigned as the primary contact for coordination, I talked to many of the nursing staff. They were all very caring and efficient in their communications. In particular Alexandra was great too.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
This clinic has a great reputation. The nursing staff is really the best in terms of kindness and efficient communication. The worst part is that they have too many patients now and the waiting time is really long every time.
I know Dr.Karipcin strongly recommends transferring just one embryo. She briefly explained the reasons and seemed very passionate about the topic. I was not questioning this specific aspect, so we didn't talk much about it.

Success w/ Doc 6 Eggs Frozen
I felt I could really trust her [Dr. Sinem Karipcin]. I felt safe during treatment and egg retrieval. She did the egg retrieval herself and saw me before the procedure and after, which I thought was very thoughtful. My experience with her could not have been better...I decided to freeze my eggs because I have a very busy professional life. I was a bit scared of going through that process alone (without a partner) but Dr. Karipcin made it easier. She was supportive, understanding, helpful with her medical opinions. I felt blessed for having her as my doctor. She is the best and I was sad to see her go. Her new patients will be very lucky to have her.
My insurance covered all the costs of treatment at Conceptions Florida...a very busy clinic but everyone in the medical team is very attentive and responsive. I did 2 cycles of egg freezing and both times the experience was good. The billing/accounting department, however, was not as clear and responsive as the doctors. The practice administrator at the time (2018) was not very responsive. I always had to email her several times before getting a response from her.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Trust her. She will really do what is best for you.
Dr. Karipcin not only is extremely knowledgeable in her field, which was something very important for me, but also very personal and respectful. She always carefully and patiently listened to all my concerns about treatment, procedure, and what to do during and after. She answered every single question I had (which were a lot) in simple terms to make sure I understood, which I greatly appreciated. I felt I could really trust her. I felt safe during treatment and egg retrieval. She did the egg retrieval herself and saw me before the procedure and after, which I thought was very thoughtful. My experience with her could not have been better. She is a great doctor and a great person.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
They were very personable, responsive, accomodating, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Conceptions Florida is a very busy clinic but everyone in the medical team is very attentive and responsive. I did 2 cycles of egg freezing and both times the experience was good. The billing/accounting department, however, was not as clear and responsive as the doctors. The practice administrator at the time (2018) was not very responsive. I always had to email her several times before getting a response from her.
My insurance covered all the costs of treatment at Conceptions Florida
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Karipcin’s passion and intelligence regarding her job is evident. Not only does she help to make my understanding of my diagnosis and treatment clear, but she also shows personal regard for my emotions....Dr. Karipcin has a genuine and realistic approach that feels intimate when working with me as a patient. She is personable and heartfelt and always makes the time without rushing....From the very start of treatment, I was treated aggressively because of my DOR diagnosis and my husband’s MIF.
The flexibility of scheduling is also a plus. Everyone [at Conceptions] is overall friendly and has great bedside manner. The office is very cleanly. In terms of coordinating my everchanging needs it is sometimes a challenge to keep track and work with so many people on the team, billing staff, insurance, front desk, nurses, etc. However, I have learned it is easiest to communicate via email. Wait time to be seen in the office is usually not too bad, except for the few times during peak IVF cycles when it has been quite long.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Ask questions if you want something explained in a different way or you simply want more information.
From the very start of treatment, I was treated aggressively because of my DOR diagnosis and my husband’s MIF. Injectables were used for both IUI and of course, IVF egg retrieval prep. 150 menopur daily for IUI and 300 menopur/300 Follistim daily for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida.
There are many nurses, some of which handle IVF, IUI, or basic functions in the clinic. As our treatments have adjusted we have been passed around quite a bit’ and it is difficult to build a comfortable relationship with the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
Dr. Karipcin is amazing! The flexibility of scheduling is also a plus. Everyone is overall friendly and has great bedside manner. The office is very cleanly. In terms of coordinating my everchanging needs it is sometimes a challenge to keep track and work with so many people on the team, billing staff, insurance, front desk, nurses, etc. However, I have learned it is easiest to communicate via email. Wait time to be seen in the office is usually not too bad, except for the few times during peak IVF cycles when it has been quite long.
Treated 2020
Coming from a different practice where I felt unheard and like a number, Columbia was a breath of fresh air...With my first round of IVF I was on a higher dose of Gonal and a lower dose of Menopaur. When none of the eggs matured my Dr. adjusted it for the second round. We also used TESE to get the sperm as that was thought to be a second factor for the embryos not maturing...All of the nurses are attentive, efficient, and caring and it is evident in their care
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Coming from a different practice where I felt unheard and like a number, Columbia was a breath of fresh air. From my first zoom consultation with Dr. Karipcin in June of 2020 I felt heard and understood. When our first IVF cycle failed and none of embryos matured, Dr. Karipcin was both compassionate and created a plan that addressed every possible failure. She collaborated with my husband's urologist and together they came up with a plan that ultimately worked for us. I am currently 8 weeks pregnant and we are forever grateful to Dr. K and the entire team at Columbia.
Don't be afraid to voice or concerns or ask questions about your treatment plan.
Dr. Karipcin makes you feel heard. She presents all the factors, gives you her plan of action and listens to how you feel before finalizing the plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The front desk receptionists are organized and efficient. Appointments are spaced out in order to adhere to co-vid restrictions. The back-end of the office, specifically billing and communication is weak. The office is not able to give you invoices, you need to email someone and it takes a long time to receive it.
Approximately 20k
Columbia University
Dr. Karipcin is one of a kind. She was extremely knowledgeable and always answered all of my questions and concerns, while also managing to be warm, empathetic and understanding throughout the process. She worked with me to develop a plan that was personalized and addressed all of my needs and concerns. ..She understood my history in trying to conceive and worked with me to find a plan that suited my particular needs and concerns. She was always very thorough and direct. She has a warmth and compassion to her that was refreshing to see in the medical field
This clinic [Conceptions Florida] has been great. They are extremely organized and proactive. Rather than you having to chase them down to schedule appointments, bloodwork, procedures, etc., they follow up with you to ensure you understand the next steps and that you are on target for complying with them...Dr. Karipcin is a partner throughout your journey and will help you understand what is going on and develop a plan for you to gain control of the situation.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Dr. Karipcin is one of a kind. She was extremely knowledgeable and always answered all of my questions and concerns, while also managing to be warm, empathetic and understanding throughout the process. She worked with me to develop a plan that was personalized and addressed all of my needs and concerns. I am so fortunate to have found Dr. Karipcin and know that I am in good hands with her.
Don't wait to go see her. If you are having fertility issues, don't go it alone. Dr. Karipcin is a partner throughout your journey and will help you understand what is going on and develop a plan for you to gain control of the situation.
Dr. Karipcin has been fantastic. She understood my history in trying to conceive and worked with me to find a plan that suited my particular needs and concerns. She was always very thorough and direct. She has a warmth and compassion to her that was refreshing to see in the medical field. I would highly recommend her!
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
This clinic has been great. They are extremely organized and proactive. Rather than you having to chase them down to schedule appointments, bloodwork, procedures, etc., they follow up with you to ensure you understand the next steps and that you are on target for complying with them.

Treated 2017
She [Dr. Karipcin] was very attentive, always explained everything easily to understand. Replied to emails pretty quick. Very gentel and quick while doing my HSG.... She was very attentive, easy to understand always easy to access and compassionate to our case. Explained everything what could be done to achieve a family and cheaper methods, we were self paid at the time....
I love everything of this clinic [Conceptions Florida], I wish I could go back. But I didn’t experiment much since our loan wasn’t approved to continue our treatment. Customer service is great. Even though we’re not patient anymore. Any time I’ve needed my records they always send it...[Nurse] Yurima was amazing, always ready to answer my concerns, to this day she still replied my emails when planning in going back to the clinic...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
To ask a lot of questions and have all bases cover before leaving
She was very attentive, always explained everything easily to understand. Replied to emails pretty quick. Very gentel and quick while doing my HSG. I wish our loan had been approved for our treatment.
Unfortunately our insurance never covered our treatment and we weren’t approved for a loan at the time. I only got to have basic testing and a HSG. I wished we could have processed to treatment with this dr
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida. (Assigned nurse: Yurima Avila)
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
I love everything of this clinic, I wish I could go back. But I didn’t experiment much since our loan wasn’t approved to continue our treatment. Customer service is great. Even though we’re not patient anymore. Any time I’ve needed my records they always send it

Treated 2017
she [Dr. Sinem Karipcin] is helping me start the process of freezing my eggs. She has fully explained the planned treatments and how she is planning to alter dosing to help prevent OHSS...Dr. Karipcin was very warm and welcoming. She also treated me like a friend which I really appreciated. She was extremely knowledgeable and answered all of my questions! Her counseling was also completely individualized to me and me only.
Everyone is very professional yet friendly [at Conceptions Florida]. You can tell it is a very well run facility. Despite that they are obviously a busy office, your visit does not feel rushed. I was very comfortable with Dr. Karipcin and all of her staff...The staff is overall excellent and very accommodating with my busy schedule...Since I am a physician, I am receiving a 20% professional discount...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Dr. Karipcin was always very professional and knowledgeable. She was always available to answer questions along the way and was extremely sweet. She also clearly knows what she is doing and is very good at explaining a very complicated and nerve-wracking process. I love her!
She is wonderful! Very smart and treats you like family.
As of now, she is helping me start the process of freezing my eggs. She has fully explained the planned treatments and how she is planning to alter dosing to help prevent OHSS.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Conceptions Florida.
The staff is overall excellent and very accommodating with my busy schedule.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
Everyone is very professional yet friendly. You can tell it is a very well run facility. Despite that they are obviously a busy office, your visit does not feel rushed. I was very comfortable with Dr. Karipcin and all of her staff.
Since I am a physician, I am receiving a 20% professional discount

Treated 2020
Dr. Karipcin is the best doctor we’ve met so far. She took such a good care of us. She’s very knowledgeable, professional and kind person. She treated us like a human. She’s very patient and answered all the questions we had with calm and a clear communication. She always wants to see me and do my ultrasound of each visit. We really appreciate her...She did all my egg retrieval, embryo transfer, ultrasound scan, etc. We highly recommended her to all mom to be!
The clinic [Columbia University] is clean and nice...On call doctor called us for the result of total embryos we have had, but he didn’t tell us the result of the embryos number from the first cycle...The care team is very nice, professional and good communicators...Preferred and agreed with elective single embryo transfer...Dr. Karipcin is the best doctor we’ve met so far. She took such a good care of us. She’s very knowledgeable, professional and kind person. She treated us like a human. She’s very patient and answered all the questions we had with calm and a clear communication. She always wants to see me and do my ultrasound of each visit. We really appreciate her.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin is the best doctor we’ve met so far. She took such a good care of us. She’s very knowledgeable, professional and kind person. She treated us like a human. She’s very patient and answered all the questions we had with calm and a clear communication. She always wants to see me and do my ultrasound of each visit. We really appreciate her. We’re really happy that we chose Dr. Karipcin to be our doctor during the treatment. She did all my egg retrieval, embryo transfer, ultrasound scan, etc. We highly recommended her to all mom to be!
Ask all question you might have. She’s very patient and willing to answer all the questions.
Gonal F - 150 IU Menopur - 150 IU Generelix - 250 mcg HCG 1500 IU Lupron 40 units Total 20 eggs retrieved, 16 matured, 6 fertilized at day 1, 3 embryos at day 5-7, 1 Fresh transfer, 1 viable pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda M. Souverain)
The care team is very nice, professional and good communicators.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is clean and nice. It’s not crowded during COVID-19. All the staff and patient required to wear a mask at all time. Sadly they wouldn’t allow my husband to come for an ultrasound during this time. But it’s understandable.
Most parts were Covered by the insurance.
Preferred and agreed with elective single embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.

Treated 2019 - 2020
I have been consulting Dr Karipcin Since 2019. She is a great doctor.She understands and answers all your questions. I have successfully conceived with the treatment she had planned for me. She was always very prompt in answering emails when I had any concerns with my symptoms. I Would highly recommend her... She will do what is best for you based on your test results and situation.
The Columbia University Fertility center is equipped with latest technology and the staff from the reception to the procedure room is great. Strengths- Very organized, clean, all rooms are well equipped, wonderful staff...Weakness- not many weakness but sometimes the long wait for a sonogram room makes you uncomfortable when you have a busy day and need to be at work soon...The nursing staff was great too- Very time I went for a sonogram and blood work the nursing staff was very warm and polite. The Nurse (don't remember her name)who is always there outside the procedure room is such a warm person. You are already very nervous and panicked thinking about what will happen in the procedure room and when she says "My dear" It just relieves all the fears and makes you feel everything is fine. Antoinette- made it so easy with all the Insurance related concerns. Thankyou to each one of you and sorry If I have missed any names.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Trust her. She will do what is best for you based on your test results and situation.
Nurse Varda was very efficient in communicating and explaining the test results in details if i had any concerns. Always available on emails if any concerns. Zaria- Care co ordinator- She was great too. Due to the pandemic situation, I was unable to travel to the city and Zaria made all arrangements to fax requisitions to my preferred hospitals for Sonogram and blood word.Very Patient and a great communicator. The nursing staff was great too- Very time I went for a sonogram and blood work the nursing staff was very warm and polite. The Nurse (don't remember her name)who is always there outside the procedure room is such a warm person. You are already very nervous and panicked thinking about what will happen in the procedure room and when she says "My dear" It just relieves all the fears and makes you feel everything is fine. Antoinette- made it so easy with all the Insurance related concerns. Thankyou to each one of you and sorry If I have missed any names.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Columbia University Fertility center is equipped with latest technology and the staff from the reception to the procedure room is great. Strengths- Very organized, clean, all rooms are well equipped, wonderful staff Weakness- not many weakness but sometimes the long wait for a sonogram room makes you uncomfortable when you have a busy day and need to be at work soon.
Columbia University
My experience with Dr K[aripcin] couldnt have been better. She is an amazing qualified doctor both technically and sensitive to her patients. I was all the time very secure and safe about all the steps of my procedure. And the outcome was great!...Besides a greatly technically qualified doctor, she wont make you feel lonely or desperate during the tough ride that is infertility...My protocol was IVF, we did one round, the frozen cycle was recommended since the beginning so as to do the genetic testing.
All the nurses and staff at Conceptions Florida were amazing. Caring and loving, guiding me all the time...The clinic is great! From the staff which is impeccable, caring and professional to all the doctors and nurses who are all extremely competent. It is very well located, clean and organized. There isn't any weak feature I can point out...My protocol was IVF, we did one round, the frozen cycle was recommended since the beginning so as to do the genetic testing.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
My experience with Dr K couldnt have been better. She is an amazing qualified doctor both technically and sensitive to her patients. I was all the time very secure and safe about all the steps of my procedure. And the outcome was great!
Any patient with Dr K couldn’t be in better hands. Besides a greatly technically qualified doctor, she wont make you feel lonely or desperate during the tough ride that is infertility.
Dr K has this unique capacity to deliver precise and elaborated information regarding your health/fertility while being extremely caring and gentle, always making you feel unique.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida. (Assigned nurse: Anay Verde)
It was around 30k

Treated 2018 - 2019
She [Dr. Karipcin] paid really attention to every detail and was very aware of my case...Excellent professional and outstanding service. Very knowledgeable and caring for her patients. Pays attention to every detail and without a doubt would go back to her in the future. Thank her very much for all her services and patience...She had a strong preference for only transferring one embryo due to my age and my conditions. It was the safest option and most viable healthy pregnancy and I’m happy we took that path
Doctors and nurses are extremely qualify! Everything [at Conceptions Florida] is neat, clean and organized. They follow their protocols and look after their patients. Had a great experience and would go back there. Everyone is very well trained...Excellent professional and outstanding service. Very knowledgeable and caring for her [Dr. Karipcin] patients. Pays attention to every detail and without a doubt would go back to her in the future.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
She paid really attention to every detail and was very aware of my case
Excellent staff!
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
Doctors and nurses are extremely qualify! Everything is neat, clean and organized. They follow their protocols and look after their patients. Had a great experience and would go back there. Everyone is very well trained
Coral Gables
Dr. Karipcin is one of the best doctors I had in my life. She is human and shows compassion in every step of the way. She explains things with diagrams and real life examples. All questions are answered in a quick and professional matter. She respects your bounders and shows that she cares...Doctor is very sensitive to your personal limits and your comfortable level. Explains all processes in detail to make sure the patience understands.
sometimes the clinic [Conceptions Florida] is full and does you can see that they are rush..Dr. Karipcin is one of the best doctors I had in my life. She is human and shows compassion in every step of the way. She explains things with diagrams and real life examples. All questions are answered in a quick and professional matter. She respects your bounders and shows that she cares.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Be patience. All information needs to be gathered before any treatment can be provided.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
Doctor is very sensitive to your personal limits and your comfortable level. Explains all processes in detail to make sure the patience understands. Weaknesses- sometimes the clinic is full and does you can see that they are rush
I am not comfortable sharing this information

Treated 2016 - 2019
First, she [Dr. Karipcin] did diagnostics (including HSG) to determine that I had PCOS. Then she discussed my treatment options... she has done a great job of explaining the process, the risks, and the likelihood of success for each step...Dr. Karipcin is so warm and caring. She was really invested in my care. She cared about me and my husband... I especially appreciated that she provided me with a lot of information in writing
In the past, I've had calls get misdirected to the wrong voicemail, so my calls never got answered. I also had an appointment get scheduled for the wrong day. However, the clinic [Conceptions Florida] is clearly aware that they've had some problems with administrative staff in the past because my doctor brought it up with me and wanted me to know they are working on it. They are hiring and training new staff.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
She's just an excellent doctor. Very knowledgeable and also caring. She always had time for me to discuss whatever I needed and answer my questions. I especially appreciated that she provided me with a lot of information in writing, so that I could go back and reference what we talked about. I always felt we were in the best hands with her.
Share all of your concerns with her. She is open and very caring toward her patients and happy to take the time to give them the information and treatment they need.
Dr. Karipcin is so warm and caring. She was really invested in my care. She cared about me and my husband. She helped us conceive our wonderful daughter and has always been so sweet to our baby girl when we bring her in the office. She has become like a friend to our family.
First, she did diagnostics (including HSG) to determine that I had PCOS. Then she discussed my treatment options. I decided to go with IUI and Letrozole. She always walked me through the diagnostic and treatment procedures and made me feel at ease. The IUI/Letrozole protocol worked very well. On our second try, I conceived my daughter. Two years later, we tried the same procedure several times, but it hasn't worked (due to the fact that I am nearly 38 now). So, she recommended IVF (after making it clear that it was up to me how to proceed). We are in the middle of that process and she has done a great job of explaining the process, the risks, and the likelihood of success for each step. My husband and I have been very happy with our treatment under her care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida. (Assigned nurse: Alex Aviles)
Alex has been great. Very responsive. She is also warm and friendly. I always look forward to seeing her.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
The medical staff is excellent. My doctor, the nurses, all medical staff have been great. We have been very happy with them. The administrative staff has been more difficult to work with, especially the front desk. They often don't seem to know how to direct patients' calls. If you call and describe your question or situation, they don't seem to be able to say "oh, you need to speak to so-and-so" or "let me find out who you need to talk to." It can be frustrating because fertility treatments are so time-sensitive. If your call gets misdirected and you don't get a prompt response, you can miss a cycle. However, as long as you have the email address of your nurse or patient coordinator, it is very easy to communicate with them and they answer emails promptly.
I don't recall.
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Florida?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Conceptions Florida.
In the past, I've had calls get misdirected to the wrong voicemail, so my calls never got answered. I also had an appointment get scheduled for the wrong day. However, the clinic is clearly aware that they've had some problems with administrative staff in the past because my doctor brought it up with me and wanted me to know they are working on it. They are hiring and training new staff.
Treated 2020
I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserved, so our plan [with Dr. Karipcin] was to "batch" - do 3 egg retrievals in a row to get as many embryos as we could prior to a transfer. I responded better than expected to a combination of injectable medication and wound up getting about 21 eggs total, 6 or 7 of which fertilized into viable day 5 embryos that were frozen. Because I generally responded well, my protocol did not need to be adjusted for all 3 of my cycles.
Varda [nurse at Columbia University] was wonderful. She always emailed me with thorough information and instructions after my visit, promptly answered the (many) questions I had, and could just tell, even through a computer screen, if I was freaking out, at which point she would call me...They also coordinated care very well - I always received an email follow up the day of my appointments and spoke often with my doctor. I also never had a problem quickly reaching a doctor on call with a medical issue. On the downside, it is a BUSY clinic. There were days that I was just feeling tired of the whole process and going into a busy clinic just felt demoralizing. This was balanced by the excellent care I felt that I received.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin was always matter of fact and clearly laid out our options, while also being sensitive to how complicated fertility treatment can be for patients. She took the time to explain each step of the process with myself and my husband, especially when we had to adjust our plans - which we had to do for COVID, because of a diagnosis of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome and because, during one cycle for a frozen transfer, I messed up my medication. At each turn, she was reassuring and planned the way forward. She was also very encouraging after our embryo transfer worked. Despite how busy the clinic is during morning monitoring, she made the time to be at each of my ultrasounds prior to my discharge to my OB. I was diagnosed with an SCH bleed and she made sure to adjust my treatment and bring me back in for an additional ultrasound prior to being released to my OB.
Be clear about what your goals are (one child or more, for example) and make sure to ask all of your questions.
Despite the clinic being very busy, Dr. Karipcin always took the time to explain next steps, options, etc. She also made sure that my health and wellbeing was considered in our fertility plan.
I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserved, so our plan was to "batch" - do 3 egg retrievals in a row to get as many embryos as we could prior to a transfer. I responded better than expected to a combination of injectable medication and wound up getting about 21 eggs total, 6 or 7 of which fertilized into viable day 5 embryos that were frozen. Because I generally responded well, my protocol did not need to be adjusted for all 3 of my cycles.
Varda was wonderful. She always emailed me with thorough information and instructions after my visit, promptly answered the (many) questions I had, and could just tell, even through a computer screen, if I was freaking out, at which point she would call me. I cannot speak highly enough of her.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia Fertility worked like a well oiled machine for the most part, even amidst COVID. I can only think of a handful of times when I was seen at my appointment time. They also coordinated care very well - I always received an email follow up the day of my appointments and spoke often with my doctor. I also never had a problem quickly reaching a doctor on call with a medical issue. On the downside, it is a BUSY clinic. There were days that I was just feeling tired of the whole process and going into a busy clinic just felt demoralizing. This was balanced by the excellent care I felt that I received.
I am lucky enough to have very good insurance. I only had to pay a co-pay for my medication.
Our plan was always to transfer one embryo. I believe this was based on the characteristics of the embryos we got and because I have secondary infertility, she was confident I would not have any unforeseen issues with implantation.

Treated 2020
Dr. K[aripcin] was available by email or (virtual) appointment and we felt that she got to know us and our situation. She arranged her schedule to be available to perform important milestones in our treatment herself, and even dropped into my first pregnancy ultrasound. We felt like she was up-to-speed on our treatment despite undoubtedly having many other patients!...She set expectations accordingly for our treatment - she was always positive but was realistic about the success rates given my age. We felt that her recommendations for our protocol, which included ICSI and PGT, gave us the greatest chance of success in the shortest time.
The CUFC team, from the scheduling assistants to the phlebotamists to the technicians, nurses and doctors was great. I felt like the whole team was coordinated, communicative, and compassionate. I appreciated the scheduled appointments (no waiting, due to covid) and the fact that the clinic was open 7 days a week...This clinic was a good fit for us - I appreciated the organization and communication of the team (timed appointments, staff available by email, phone, and zoom) and the level of care we received. The insurance team worked with us to get our procedures covered. We had to be proactive in the beginning to schedule some of the required testing (some of which happens outside of CUFC), but once we were "in the system" I felt like we were well cared for and our treatment moved along smoothly.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K has a lovely bedside manner and a clearly explained the technical aspects of the treatment and the risks. She set expectations accordingly for our treatment - she was always positive but was realistic about the success rates given my age. We felt that her recommendations for our protocol, which included ICSI and PGT, gave us the greatest chance of success in the shortest time.
Our treatment was slow to get started due to covid-mandated shutdowns and requirements of our insurance for specific tests / protocols before beginning IVF. Many of these are timed with your cycle, so they can take several months to complete (we started IVF treatment about 4 months after our initial appointment). This was frustrating and confusing, but once we completed the required testing and had the go-ahead from insurance to start IVF, everything that was managed within CUFC was very organized and proceeded smoothly. I would advise patients to be prepared for the length of the process.
We had a positive experience with Dr. K and CUFC. Dr. K was available by email or (virtual) appointment and we felt that she got to know us and our situation. She arranged her schedule to be available to perform important milestones in our treatment herself, and even dropped into my first pregnancy ultrasound. We felt like she was up-to-speed on our treatment despite undoubtedly having many other patients!
We went straight to IVF due to my age. Dr. K recommended PGT testing of embryos. Semen analysis uncovered male-factor issues, so Dr. K also recommended ICSI (which the insurance assistant was able to get covered by our insurance). We were lucky to get 2 chromosomally balanced embryos and transferred 1 in a single frozen embryo transfer. The transfer was successful and I'm currently 17 weeks pregnancy. While we were initially hesitant to do the additional steps of PGT and ICSI, in hindsight they increased our chances of success and reduced the likelihood that we would have needed to do additional rounds of IVF.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We spent about $6K out of pocket. Luckily insurance covered most of the tests and procedures we needed. We paid out of pocket for PGT testing ($2500) and a perhaps few other tests, and the rest of the costs were for insurance deductible (for both myself and partner), copays, and prescription copays. The clinic informed us of out of pocket costs as they arose, but it was difficult to estimate in advance what the treatment would cost when we didn't know our course of treatment.
Treated 2020
Dr Karipcin was extremely thorough with my husband and I and explained all of the test results and possibility to Us as human beings. She was empathetic and answered all of our questions on our zoom consult as well as on the phone and on emails whenever we reached out...we never were able to meet Dr K in person but we understand that she is busy and trying to help as many patients as possible! Her colleagues that did my ultrasounds and my IUI were wonderful!
[Columbia University was] always on time with appointments, staff seemed knowledgeable and smart. Only negative part of experience was that there were different doctors at different times and I didn’t get to meet my specific doctor in person but they all made me feel comfortable...I never got to meet my primary nurse or care coordinator but they generally were responsive to my emails. Phone calls were less responded to.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr K was extremely thorough and comprehensive with our treatment. She provided us with all our choices and appreciated our decision and choice to go with IUI first since it was less invasive. She was compassionate and really wanted to answer all of our questions and make us feel as comfortable with the process as possible. The only negative thing I would say about our experience is that we never were able to meet Dr K in person but we understand that she is busy and trying to help as many patients as possible! Her colleagues that did my ultrasounds and my IUI were wonderful!
Go for it! She wants to help her patients as much as possible and was so happy along with us when we got the great news that we were pregnant. She is passionate about helping her patients and we were lucky to Have found her!
Dr Karipcin was extremely thorough with my husband and I and explained all of the test results and possibility to Us as human beings. She was empathetic and answered all of our questions on our zoom consult as well as on the phone and on emails whenever we reached out. She treated me as an individual person and was there for me when I need answers and help!
My first attempted IUI cycle, we used clomid but I overresponded and had too many dominant follicles that grew (10) and they had to cancel the IUI as it was too risky. The second attempt she altered the medication and gave me Letrozole and lowered the dose and I responded well to that with only 4 dominant follicles. That first IUI resulted in a positive pregnancy and I am now happily almost 9 weeks pregnant!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Care coordinator Zaria Holcomb and nurse Varda )
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Good covid protocols, always on time with appointments, staff seemed knowledgeable and smart. Only negative part of experience was that there were different doctors at different times and I didn’t get to meet my specific doctor in person but they all made me feel comfortable and I got the results I wanted so I was fine with that!
I believe that I only needed to pay copays when I went into the clinic.
N/A.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
Last week I was told that I would be called or emailed with my bloodwork results and I needed to follow up with my doctor and nurse and they forgot to give me those results. It only happened one time.