9.9

U of Texas - Galveston
Cornell

Sinem Karipcin works in 1 office at

5 Columbus Circle

Dr. K was very open and positive, she made me feel in control throughout the whole process. She presented all options to me and allowed me space and time to make the best decision for me. She answered all my questions in a straight forward yet supporting manner...Dr. K was warm and friendly. She was hopeful yet realistic about my chances of conceiving...It is my understanding that single transfer was my only option plus I was not open to the possibility of multiple births...
The whole team [nurses at Columbia University] was organized and warm and friendly. They made the process stress-free and smooth...The clinic was well organized and I appreciated the short wait time and the efficient procedure time...I would have like to see more of my results in MyChart....
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions until you feel confident to make your own decisions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Describe the protocols Sinem Karipcin used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
My first round was the egg retrieval with donor sperm, second was a donor embryo with medication and the third and last was another donor embryo but timed without medication.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
The whole team was organized and warm and friendly. They made the process stress-free and smooth. Okay
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic was well organized and I appreciated the short wait time and the efficient procedure time. This was helpful since I was still working, to be able to go in and out quickly. I would have like to see more of my results in MyChart.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
These appointments were easy and didn’t disrupt my work hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University.
I paid $5000 per cycle and insurance covered the rest.
Describe Sinem Karipcin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Columbia University

She [Dr. Karipcin] was very attentive, always explained everything easily to understand. Replied to emails pretty quick. Very gentel and quick while doing my HSG.... She was very attentive, easy to understand always easy to access and compassionate to our case. Explained everything what could be done to achieve a family and cheaper methods, we were self paid at the time....
I love everything of this clinic [Conceptions Florida], I wish I could go back. But I didn’t experiment much since our loan wasn’t approved to continue our treatment. Customer service is great. Even though we’re not patient anymore. Any time I’ve needed my records they always send it...[Nurse] Yurima was amazing, always ready to answer my concerns, to this day she still replied my emails when planning in going back to the clinic...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
To ask a lot of questions and have all bases cover before leaving
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
She was very attentive, always explained everything easily to understand. Replied to emails pretty quick. Very gentel and quick while doing my HSG. I wish our loan had been approved for our treatment.
Describe the protocols Sinem Karipcin used in your cycles at Conceptions Florida and their degree of success.
Unfortunately our insurance never covered our treatment and we weren’t approved for a loan at the time. I only got to have basic testing and a HSG. I wished we could have processed to treatment with this dr
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida. (Assigned nurse: Yurima Avila)
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
I love everything of this clinic, I wish I could go back. But I didn’t experiment much since our loan wasn’t approved to continue our treatment. Customer service is great. Even though we’re not patient anymore. Any time I’ve needed my records they always send it
Describe Sinem Karipcin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Conceptions Florida.

Egg Freezing With Other Docs
she [Dr. Sinem Karipcin] is helping me start the process of freezing my eggs. She has fully explained the planned treatments and how she is planning to alter dosing to help prevent OHSS...Dr. Karipcin was very warm and welcoming. She also treated me like a friend which I really appreciated. She was extremely knowledgeable and answered all of my questions! Her counseling was also completely individualized to me and me only.
Everyone is very professional yet friendly [at Conceptions Florida]. You can tell it is a very well run facility. Despite that they are obviously a busy office, your visit does not feel rushed. I was very comfortable with Dr. Karipcin and all of her staff...The staff is overall excellent and very accommodating with my busy schedule...Since I am a physician, I am receiving a 20% professional discount...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Dr. Karipcin was always very professional and knowledgeable. She was always available to answer questions along the way and was extremely sweet. She also clearly knows what she is doing and is very good at explaining a very complicated and nerve-wracking process. I love her!
She is wonderful! Very smart and treats you like family.
As of now, she is helping me start the process of freezing my eggs. She has fully explained the planned treatments and how she is planning to alter dosing to help prevent OHSS.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Conceptions Florida.
The staff is overall excellent and very accommodating with my busy schedule.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
Everyone is very professional yet friendly. You can tell it is a very well run facility. Despite that they are obviously a busy office, your visit does not feel rushed. I was very comfortable with Dr. Karipcin and all of her staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida.
Since I am a physician, I am receiving a 20% professional discount

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Karipcin's strengths: She has a wonderful, light attitude that lifted my spirits during the dreadful process of infertility treatments. She was optimistic (when I wasn't) and very open to my questions...was easily accessible...She also has an easy-going demeanor and I felt no judgment...only considered transferring a singleton, to preserve the chances of viability and thriving
[Columbia University] Strength: I never ever had to see pictures of babies or a waiting room of pregnant women. The clinic is bare and sterile, and thank God for it - I was not in a headspace to see pregnant people or mothers...[nurse] Varda was excellent and responsive. Carlotta was efficient, not as quick to respond but ultimately pleasant...Dr. Karipcin was easily accessible - she always answered my questions. She was receptive to my suggestions and questions. She also has an easy-going demeanor and I felt no judgment.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Do not hesitate to ask any questions and take advantage of Dr. Karipcin's availability - there's so much unknown about the process that I found comfort in asking questions.
I underwent 2 IUIs and one IVF cycle. Both IUIs were unsuccessful. The IVF cycle was, to my complete surprise, successful on the first attempt.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda Souverain)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Genetic testing - $2000 Embryo storage - $1000-1500 Everything else was covered by health insurance (AETNA)
Dr. Karipcin only considered transferring a singleton, to preserve the chances of viability and thriving. I fully agreed. And she was right. During vaginal delivery, my fetus had difficulty breathing and was born healthy at 8lbs (a big baby).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
My husband was scheduled to express sperm at the clinic. He asked if he could do so onsite (we live an hour from the clinic and didn't have a car). He was told yes. But when he arrived for his appointment, there was a miscommunication and he was not afforded a room to express sperm. Thus, he was turned away and the semen analysis was delayed. Dr. Karipcin wrote to us expressing her apologies for the inconvenience, which we appreciated.
Columbia University

Dr. Karipcin is the best doctor we’ve met so far. She took such a good care of us. She’s very knowledgeable, professional and kind person. She treated us like a human. She’s very patient and answered all the questions we had with calm and a clear communication. She always wants to see me and do my ultrasound of each visit. We really appreciate her...She did all my egg retrieval, embryo transfer, ultrasound scan, etc. We highly recommended her to all mom to be!
The clinic [Columbia University] is clean and nice...On call doctor called us for the result of total embryos we have had, but he didn’t tell us the result of the embryos number from the first cycle...The care team is very nice, professional and good communicators...Preferred and agreed with elective single embryo transfer...Dr. Karipcin is the best doctor we’ve met so far. She took such a good care of us. She’s very knowledgeable, professional and kind person. She treated us like a human. She’s very patient and answered all the questions we had with calm and a clear communication. She always wants to see me and do my ultrasound of each visit. We really appreciate her.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin is the best doctor we’ve met so far. She took such a good care of us. She’s very knowledgeable, professional and kind person. She treated us like a human. She’s very patient and answered all the questions we had with calm and a clear communication. She always wants to see me and do my ultrasound of each visit. We really appreciate her. We’re really happy that we chose Dr. Karipcin to be our doctor during the treatment. She did all my egg retrieval, embryo transfer, ultrasound scan, etc. We highly recommended her to all mom to be!
Ask all question you might have. She’s very patient and willing to answer all the questions.
Gonal F - 150 IU Menopur - 150 IU Generelix - 250 mcg HCG 1500 IU Lupron 40 units Total 20 eggs retrieved, 16 matured, 6 fertilized at day 1, 3 embryos at day 5-7, 1 Fresh transfer, 1 viable pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda M. Souverain)
The care team is very nice, professional and good communicators.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is clean and nice. It’s not crowded during COVID-19. All the staff and patient required to wear a mask at all time. Sadly they wouldn’t allow my husband to come for an ultrasound during this time. But it’s understandable.
Most parts were Covered by the insurance.
Preferred and agreed with elective single embryo transfer.
Columbia University

I have been consulting Dr Karipcin Since 2019. She is a great doctor.She understands and answers all your questions. I have successfully conceived with the treatment she had planned for me. She was always very prompt in answering emails when I had any concerns with my symptoms. I Would highly recommend her... She will do what is best for you based on your test results and situation.
The Columbia University Fertility center is equipped with latest technology and the staff from the reception to the procedure room is great. Strengths- Very organized, clean, all rooms are well equipped, wonderful staff...Weakness- not many weakness but sometimes the long wait for a sonogram room makes you uncomfortable when you have a busy day and need to be at work soon...The nursing staff was great too- Very time I went for a sonogram and blood work the nursing staff was very warm and polite. The Nurse (don't remember her name)who is always there outside the procedure room is such a warm person. You are already very nervous and panicked thinking about what will happen in the procedure room and when she says "My dear" It just relieves all the fears and makes you feel everything is fine. Antoinette- made it so easy with all the Insurance related concerns. Thankyou to each one of you and sorry If I have missed any names.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Trust her. She will do what is best for you based on your test results and situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda)
Nurse Varda was very efficient in communicating and explaining the test results in details if i had any concerns. Always available on emails if any concerns. Zaria- Care co ordinator- She was great too. Due to the pandemic situation, I was unable to travel to the city and Zaria made all arrangements to fax requisitions to my preferred hospitals for Sonogram and blood word.Very Patient and a great communicator. The nursing staff was great too- Very time I went for a sonogram and blood work the nursing staff was very warm and polite. The Nurse (don't remember her name)who is always there outside the procedure room is such a warm person. You are already very nervous and panicked thinking about what will happen in the procedure room and when she says "My dear" It just relieves all the fears and makes you feel everything is fine. Antoinette- made it so easy with all the Insurance related concerns. Thankyou to each one of you and sorry If I have missed any names.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Columbia University Fertility center is equipped with latest technology and the staff from the reception to the procedure room is great. Strengths- Very organized, clean, all rooms are well equipped, wonderful staff Weakness- not many weakness but sometimes the long wait for a sonogram room makes you uncomfortable when you have a busy day and need to be at work soon.
Columbia University

My experience with Dr K[aripcin] couldnt have been better. She is an amazing qualified doctor both technically and sensitive to her patients. I was all the time very secure and safe about all the steps of my procedure. And the outcome was great!...Besides a greatly technically qualified doctor, she wont make you feel lonely or desperate during the tough ride that is infertility...My protocol was IVF, we did one round, the frozen cycle was recommended since the beginning so as to do the genetic testing.
All the nurses and staff at Conceptions Florida were amazing. Caring and loving, guiding me all the time...The clinic is great! From the staff which is impeccable, caring and professional to all the doctors and nurses who are all extremely competent. It is very well located, clean and organized. There isn't any weak feature I can point out...My protocol was IVF, we did one round, the frozen cycle was recommended since the beginning so as to do the genetic testing.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
My experience with Dr K couldnt have been better. She is an amazing qualified doctor both technically and sensitive to her patients. I was all the time very secure and safe about all the steps of my procedure. And the outcome was great!
Any patient with Dr K couldn’t be in better hands. Besides a greatly technically qualified doctor, she wont make you feel lonely or desperate during the tough ride that is infertility.
Dr K has this unique capacity to deliver precise and elaborated information regarding your health/fertility while being extremely caring and gentle, always making you feel unique.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida. (Assigned nurse: Anay Verde)
It was around 30k

2022, 8 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Karipcin is a wonderful and caring practitioner who cares for her patients. We always felt listened to and in good hands under her care. The patience and reassurance in answering all of our questions put us at ease...Empathetic bedside manner, Dr. K always took the time to get to know us and answer all questions...Believes in eSet...
[at Columbia University] Great doctors, lab and facilities. Some room for improvement in understanding how departments work together. Communication and overview of the customized treatment plans would be valuable. It would be better if this content was digitized. Communication platform leaves a lot to be desired with messages expiring after short time...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Egg freezing was mostly covered by my health plan at the time with out of pocket expenses around $1000 between medications and anesthesiologist.
Believes in eSet

2021, Successful
[Dr. Karipcin] was very professional and kind and also set realistic expectations and was available by email to communicate outside of appointments. I felt like we were in good hands. She had a great manner and didn’t bring a big ego to everything, just a calm and confident manner. She tested everything she could think of to try and see if there was a discoverable reason for the miscarriages. She reported our results to us and explained what it meant from her perspective.
It was friendly and well organized [at Columbia University], I have no complaints. They seemed well run. You are likely to get blood drawn on a given visit so I guess hydrate before going and wear something warm to keep you and your veins warm while waiting. The wait was never too long, maybe 15 minutes...[Dr. Karipcin] tested everything she could think of to try and see if there was a discoverable reason for the miscarriages. She reported our results to us and explained what it meant from her perspective.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
She was very professional and kind and also set realistic expectations and was available by email to communicate outside of appointments. I felt like we were in good hands. She had a great manner and didn’t bring a big ego to everything, just a calm and confident manner. She tested everything she could think of to try and see if there was a discoverable reason for the miscarriages. She reported our results to us and explained what it meant from her perspective.
Genetic testing of both partners Hysterosalpingogram Sperm analysis Blood test regarding my ovarian reserve Ultrasound Thyroid and progesterone blood tests for me Intravaginal progesterone for first 12 weeks of pregnancy
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It was friendly and well organized, I have no complaints. They seemed well run. You are likely to get blood drawn on a given visit so I guess hydrate before going and wear something warm to keep you and your veins warm while waiting. The wait was never too long, maybe 15 minutes.
Columbia University

She [Dr. Karipcin] paid really attention to every detail and was very aware of my case...Excellent professional and outstanding service. Very knowledgeable and caring for her patients. Pays attention to every detail and without a doubt would go back to her in the future. Thank her very much for all her services and patience...She had a strong preference for only transferring one embryo due to my age and my conditions. It was the safest option and most viable healthy pregnancy and I’m happy we took that path
Doctors and nurses are extremely qualify! Everything [at Conceptions Florida] is neat, clean and organized. They follow their protocols and look after their patients. Had a great experience and would go back there. Everyone is very well trained...Excellent professional and outstanding service. Very knowledgeable and caring for her [Dr. Karipcin] patients. Pays attention to every detail and without a doubt would go back to her in the future.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
She paid really attention to every detail and was very aware of my case
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Conceptions Florida.
Excellent staff!
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
Doctors and nurses are extremely qualify! Everything is neat, clean and organized. They follow their protocols and look after their patients. Had a great experience and would go back there. Everyone is very well trained
Coral Gables
Dr. Karipcin is one of the best doctors I had in my life. She is human and shows compassion in every step of the way. She explains things with diagrams and real life examples. All questions are answered in a quick and professional matter. She respects your bounders and shows that she cares...Doctor is very sensitive to your personal limits and your comfortable level. Explains all processes in detail to make sure the patience understands.
sometimes the clinic [Conceptions Florida] is full and does you can see that they are rush..Dr. Karipcin is one of the best doctors I had in my life. She is human and shows compassion in every step of the way. She explains things with diagrams and real life examples. All questions are answered in a quick and professional matter. She respects your bounders and shows that she cares.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Be patience. All information needs to be gathered before any treatment can be provided.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
Doctor is very sensitive to your personal limits and your comfortable level. Explains all processes in detail to make sure the patience understands. Weaknesses- sometimes the clinic is full and does you can see that they are rush
I am not comfortable sharing this information

2016 - 2019, Successful
First, she [Dr. Karipcin] did diagnostics (including HSG) to determine that I had PCOS. Then she discussed my treatment options... she has done a great job of explaining the process, the risks, and the likelihood of success for each step...Dr. Karipcin is so warm and caring. She was really invested in my care. She cared about me and my husband... I especially appreciated that she provided me with a lot of information in writing
In the past, I've had calls get misdirected to the wrong voicemail, so my calls never got answered. I also had an appointment get scheduled for the wrong day. However, the clinic [Conceptions Florida] is clearly aware that they've had some problems with administrative staff in the past because my doctor brought it up with me and wanted me to know they are working on it. They are hiring and training new staff.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
She's just an excellent doctor. Very knowledgeable and also caring. She always had time for me to discuss whatever I needed and answer my questions. I especially appreciated that she provided me with a lot of information in writing, so that I could go back and reference what we talked about. I always felt we were in the best hands with her.
Share all of your concerns with her. She is open and very caring toward her patients and happy to take the time to give them the information and treatment they need.
Dr. Karipcin is so warm and caring. She was really invested in my care. She cared about me and my husband. She helped us conceive our wonderful daughter and has always been so sweet to our baby girl when we bring her in the office. She has become like a friend to our family.
First, she did diagnostics (including HSG) to determine that I had PCOS. Then she discussed my treatment options. I decided to go with IUI and Letrozole. She always walked me through the diagnostic and treatment procedures and made me feel at ease. The IUI/Letrozole protocol worked very well. On our second try, I conceived my daughter. Two years later, we tried the same procedure several times, but it hasn't worked (due to the fact that I am nearly 38 now). So, she recommended IVF (after making it clear that it was up to me how to proceed). We are in the middle of that process and she has done a great job of explaining the process, the risks, and the likelihood of success for each step. My husband and I have been very happy with our treatment under her care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida. (Assigned nurse: Alex Aviles)
Alex has been great. Very responsive. She is also warm and friendly. I always look forward to seeing her.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
The medical staff is excellent. My doctor, the nurses, all medical staff have been great. We have been very happy with them. The administrative staff has been more difficult to work with, especially the front desk. They often don't seem to know how to direct patients' calls. If you call and describe your question or situation, they don't seem to be able to say "oh, you need to speak to so-and-so" or "let me find out who you need to talk to." It can be frustrating because fertility treatments are so time-sensitive. If your call gets misdirected and you don't get a prompt response, you can miss a cycle. However, as long as you have the email address of your nurse or patient coordinator, it is very easy to communicate with them and they answer emails promptly.
I don't recall.
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Florida?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Conceptions Florida.
In the past, I've had calls get misdirected to the wrong voicemail, so my calls never got answered. I also had an appointment get scheduled for the wrong day. However, the clinic is clearly aware that they've had some problems with administrative staff in the past because my doctor brought it up with me and wanted me to know they are working on it. They are hiring and training new staff.

2021 - 2022, Successful
was surprised to find that Dr. K [Karipcin] gave me all the time in the world. She was warm and encouraging and also realistic. I felt safe with her and she never made me feel rushed or like my questions didnt matter...She has a warm bedside demeanor and is very invested in her patients. I have a genetic condition that we had to work around, and she put me in touch with the best genetic counselors to come up with a plan...We did one transfer at a time, and she was very sympathetic and called me herself when the first transfer didn't work....
Her staff [at Columbia University] are great. Varda was the primary contact point for me with protocols. She made sure to email everything in advance to me and that I understood what was going to happen next. Her care coordinator was also on top of her game. There were never any scheduling mishaps. Her insurance coordinator was a gem. She helped us navigate the system which can be really tricky...They get you in fast for your blood draws and ultrasounds. HOWEVER: be on time for your blood draws and ultrasounds...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
I honestly have only positive things to say about Dr. K. She got me through IVF. She has a warm bedside demeanor and is very invested in her patients. I have a genetic condition that we had to work around, and she put me in touch with the best genetic counselors to come up with a plan. I went through two rounds of IVF and got three healthy embryos. We did one transfer at a time, and she was very sympathetic and called me herself when the first transfer didn't work. I wanted to do another transfer right away, but she encouraged me to undergo some additional testing to find out why the first transfer didn't work. I was upset at the time because anyone going through IVF will know that any delay is another heartbreak. However, it turns out I had endometritis and a round of antibiotics fixed it and the next transfer worked. Without her guidance, I would have possibly transferred another healthy embryo only to have that one fail. I now have a healthy 5-month-old and am thinking about having another one in the future!
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. K will answer them.
I was expected to be treated like a number because of the sheer volume of patients at the clinic, but was surprised to find that Dr. K gave me all the time in the world. She was warm and encouraging and also realistic. I felt safe with her and she never made me feel rushed or like my questions didnt matter.
I did two rounds of egg retrieval with a fairly straightforward protocol (two weeks of shots including lupron, ovidrel, and menopur). My issue was genetic, so I had to do PGS. One round of egg retrieval yielded 3 embryos, the second didn't yield any - they all had trisomies. It was possible that I did the rounds too close together. I did natural transfer cycles with frozen embryos. The first transfer failed because of undiagnosed endometritis. The second transfer succeeded.
Her staff are great. Varda was the primary contact point for me with protocols. She made sure to email everything in advance to me and that I understood what was going to happen next. Her care coordinator was also on top of her game. There were never any scheduling mishaps. Her insurance coordinator was a gem. She helped us navigate the system which can be really tricky.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
They get you in fast for your blood draws and ultrasounds. HOWEVER: be on time for your blood draws and ultrasounds. There are a lot of women who come to the clinic, and the couple of times that I was late I had to wait 30 minutes or more to get squeezed in (obviously not their fault I was late). Most of the nurses who drew blood were good; there was one who was constantly just "ok". No one was bad. The ultrasound techs are all awesome.
Honestly I can't remember all of it. The meds were the most expensive part. We had very good insurance that covered a lot of it. I would say without insurance each round probably would have been 20K.
She encouraged me to do a single transfer. This was a specific protocol tailored to my fertility issues (genetics).

2022, Successful
She [Dr. Karipcin] was thorough during the diagnostic phase and explained the results when they came back. She explained the reason and purpose for each test. When we had to change treatments, she explained the new steps. She took the time to educate me and my partner what timed intercourse, IUI, and IVF entails. I found her to be compassionate and encouraging during the time I was there...
Dr. K's team [at Columbia University] was very responsive to my concerns. He care coordinator, Sam answered my questions to the best of her abilities. The financial coordinator was great about figuring out insurance coverage and they submitted for approvals in a quick manner. Varda, the nurse was clear about instructions. The rest of the nurses, phlebotomists, and ultrasound technicians were great...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
I had a great experience with Dr. K and Columbia Fertility. She was thorough during the diagnostic phase and explained the results when they came back. She explained the reason and purpose for each test. When we had to change treatments, she explained the new steps. She took the time to educate me and my partner what timed intercourse, IUI, and IVF entails. I found her to be compassionate and encouraging during the time I was there. Based on my diagnostic results, she was also very positive. That was good and bad at the same time because it didn't happen as quickly as she made it seem and I also miscarried after one of the cycles. But none of that was her fault. There were times where I would panick email her with questions oe concerns and didn't get a response. However, I always got a response when it was really important. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but looking back on it, it was helpful to get some space and realize that it wasn't that important.
Don't expect a ton of back and forth email correspondence from her but know that the important questions and concerns will be answered.
Dr. K understood my current and future wants, while still considered what insurance would cover. She reached out and was encouraging with each unsuccessful cycle. In the beginning of the process, she explained the results of the diagnostic tests and why she chose timed intercourse as the first step. She was very postive. After those failed, she wanted to move into IVF because it would be a good time to bank embryos for my age. Unfortunately, insurance wouldn't cover it until I had 3 IUIs. She wasn't discouraged and suggested other insurance companies that would cover IVF without the same prerequisite.
I was prescribed levothyroxin for hypothyroidism. I had 3 cycles of time intercourse with leteozole. Each cycle was the same: 5 MG for 5 days. I was also prescribed ovidrel but only used it for the last timed intercourse cycle. All three TI cycles were unsuccessful. I moved into 2 IUI cycles. The first one had the same medication (5mg for 5 days of letrozole and ovidrel), then had the insemination. It was successful but resulted in a miscarriage due to chromosomal abnormalities. The next IUI started with 5 days of 5mg letrozole but my body was not responding to it, so we did another 5 days of letrozole at 7.5 MG and then ovidrel. It was also successful and I am currently 8 months pregnant.
Dr. K's team was very responsive to my concerns. He care coordinator, Sam answered my questions to the best of her abilities. The financial coordinator was great about figuring out insurance coverage and they submitted for approvals in a quick manner. Varda, the nurse was clear about instructions. The rest of the nurses, phlebotomists, and ultrasound technicians were great. Megan was especially wonderful with drawing blood.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Overall the clinic was great. Morning monitoring was fast. They really try to get you in and out as quickly as possible. This was especially helpful because my job doesn't have flexible hours. Even when I wasn't able to get the appointment time I needed, they still saw me for morning monitoring early since I was in the office. Don't expect to see your doctor on most days. At least that was true in my case. The only thing I didn't like was that there was something glitchy with their email encryption system where, at times, I wouldn't get prescriptions or directions until much later in the day, after office hours were closed. This is especially frustrating when you're supposed to start taking the pills the same day you're prescribed them and the pharmacy is a bit of a trek.
Most procedures were covered by my insurance. The only thing not covered was the testing after my miscarriage. Columbia sent it to a lab that was out of network and insurance said they should have used an in-network company.
When we were discussing IVF, Dr. K expressed that she preferred single embryo transfers.

2021 - 2022, Successful
Doctor K [Dr. Karipcin] always listened to me and honored my questions, comments or concerns. She included me in treatment decisions and clearly communicated with me throughout my time at CUFC...She was decisive, competent, clear and kind and I trusted her with all of my treatment decisions. Whenever possible, Dr. K would come to my appointments personally and always made time for me through questions by email (very quick response time)....
the nursing staff at CUFC was wonderful - very kind, caring and compassionate professionals...Each doctor is assigned a team (nurse, care coordinator, financial coordinator and medication coordinator) which is helpful. A wonderful and supportive place to receive care...just after my first retrieval I was told I would receive information on the amount of eggs that fertilized and I didn't receive that information until I called the clinic to inquire myself...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K provided exceptional care throughout my time as her patient at CUFC. She was decisive, competent, clear and kind and I trusted her with all of my treatment decisions. Whenever possible, Dr. K would come to my appointments personally and always made time for me through questions by email (very quick response time). I cannot recommend her enough, truly the best of the best!!!
Don't be afraid to reach out to her with any questions, comments or concerns. She is extremely empathetic and wants to support and care for her patients to the best of her ability.
Doctor K always listened to me and honored my questions, comments or concerns. She included me in treatment decisions and clearly communicated with me throughout my time at CUFC.
IVF with ICSI - I completed 2 egg retrievals and 2 single embryo transfers. Both egg retrievals were successful with the first one yielding 5 embryos and the second with 3 embryos. The embryo transfer protocol began as medicated but was adjusted due to my body naturally ovulating. My first transfer failed and my second was a success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda )
The care coordinator Sam was wonderful and always communicated clearly and efficiently. She was easy to get in contact with and always wanted to help and support. Nurse Varda always sent clear and organized emails and instructions during the IVF stimulation phase which was appreciated. Overall, the nursing staff at CUFC was wonderful - very kind, caring and compassionate professionals.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
CUFC is a wonderful place to trust with your care as a fertility patients. Although they have a plethora of patients, the work is divided amongst many doctors. Each doctor is assigned a team (nurse, care coordinator, financial coordinator and medication coordinator) which is helpful. A wonderful and supportive place to receive care.
My fertility treatments were covered under my insurance. My only fees were co-pays and additional fees for PGT testing
I trusted Dr. K with the decision to do a single embryo transfer. She explained to me the rationale along with educational information (articles to explain the reason given my age and medical history).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
Not a major issue - just after my first retrieval I was told I would receive information on the amount of eggs that fertilized and I didn't receive that information until I called the clinic to inquire myself.

2019 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Karipcin is earnest, sincere and knowledgeable. She somehow manages to combine genuine optimism with realistic expectations...Early on, she made clear that, though we may have to eventually use donor eggs, she was willing to exhaust other options (different protocols, approaches, etc.) as long as we were. Even when she wasn't present for a procedure, she would always check in either before or after...Dr. K was always open to discussions about my treatment, willing to advise as necessary and willing to compromise when appropriate
I think I was spoiled by Columbia's clinic. They did an excellent job of coordinating with my insurance and laying out the process and timeline as clearly as possible...The nursing staff was phenomenal...The nurses always remembered me and circumstances specific to me. Rachel is especially awesome. For whatever reason, my left ovary was often difficult to find during the ultrasound. She knew exactly how to track it down. And even when I was at my lowest, she was just the right balance of sympathetic and humorous...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
In three words, Dr. Karipcin is earnest, sincere and knowledgeable. She somehow manages to combine genuine optimism with realistic expectations. When I had lost hope that IVF would work, she gave me confidence. Early on, she made clear that, though we may have to eventually use donor eggs, she was willing to exhaust other options (different protocols, approaches, etc.) as long as we were. Even when she wasn't present for a procedure, she would always check in either before or after. Like any medical experience, I needed to advocate for myself. But Dr. K was always open to discussions about my treatment, willing to advise as necessary and willing to compromise when appropriate. If I had to fault Dr. K for one thing, it would be that she's sometimes too sweet. My partner and I have a droll sense of humor and she would occasionally take things we said literally. English is not her first, so it's also possible the sarcasm and puns got lost in translation. But this is very forgivable for someone who took me through one of the most emotionally draining experiences of my life with such kindness, compassion and expertise.
Trust her. If you have questions or concerns, talk them through with her. She will give you sound, well reasoned advice. She will give you confidence in the path you ultimately choose to take.
Columbia is clearly a big practice with lots of patients. Some of what they do is formulaic (often in a helpful way). But Dr. Karipcin is so warm and clearly cares about and is actively rooting for her patients. I’m sure she had to look up notes from previous visits before my appointments, but she took the time and care to do that.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
The nursing staff was phenomenal. Most of my treatments happened during the heigh of Covid (after the practice reopened from the initial shutdown), so for several months, I saw these women more than anyone aside from my partner. The nurses always remembered me and circumstances specific to me. Rachel is especially awesome. For whatever reason, my left ovary was often difficult to find during the ultrasound. She knew exactly how to track it down. And even when I was at my lowest, she was just the right balance of sympathetic and humorous. I looked forward to seeing her every time I went and, even though everyone else was great, I felt a little disappointed on the visits when I didn't get to see her.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I think I was spoiled by Columbia's clinic. They did an excellent job of coordinating with my insurance and laying out the process and timeline as clearly as possible. By the time I got to my OB, Columbia had set my expectations for hand-holding from my doctor's office so high that I was disappointed not to find the same level of service. There were a couple of times that the coordinator I was told to reach out to didn't respond immediately, but there was always other people to reach out to. They were also helpful when things progressed faster than expected and I needed a medication immediately that I didn't yet have. They had me come in to the office and administered the shot from their stock so that my cycle didn't have to be canceled.
My care was covered almost completely by insurance.

2020 - 2021, Successful
Columbia University Fertility is clean, the staff is professional and they are very good at providing information upfront. Once you decide to work with them, you are matched with a Care team, given their contact information and clear understand of the procedures and protocols. Location is also very accessible by public transportation...Nurse Varda and Care Coordinator Zaria were extremely helpful. Varda was patient and answered every question in the emails I sent her...
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
We had great experience with Dr. Karipcin. She always welcomed us with a warm smile. She was very positive, professional and carrying. She has a very strong bedside manner. She never rushed us after each appointment. We felt like we were in excellent hands because she knew in advance what results we would get and she knew exactly what to do. Every time we had questions, concerns she always took time to answer to all of it. We will highly recommend her to our friends and family who encounter their own struggles with infertility.
Trust Dr. Karipcin. Be sure to share all of your concerns. Ask any question. Be positive. Also know that the procedure might take longer time then predicted and also might take extra days to take medications. You might get extra medication at last minute if you are doing IVF injections.
Dr. Karpicin always made us feel like a human rather than a number. She took the time to get to know us personally. She was always positive and always believed we would get pregnant very soon. She took an interest in our lives and called us by name.
We did 1 IVF cycle we used Follistim 225 IU, Menopur 225 IU and Ganirelix 250 mcg injections leading up to an egg retrieval which produced 4 eggs and 2 embryos. Both embryos were AA graded. We sent both embryos to PGS testing. 1 came abnormal 2nd one came no result. We were very sad and confused. We didn't-know if we should re-test the no result embryo (we would loose 10% chance of success) or transfer it as is. Dr. Karipcin gave us the options and we decided to transfer the no result embryo. I had an instinct that embryo was healthy. We did the transfer and 2 weeks later we were pregnant and now we have happy, healthy baby girl.
Nurse Varda and Care Coordinator Zaria were extremely helpful. Varda was patient and answered every question in the emails I sent her. Elizabeth who ordered my medications was very professional, polite. She ordered all my medications on time. She was very helpful to be on time and not to miss my cycle.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia University Fertility is clean, the staff is professional and they are very good at providing information upfront. Once you decide to work with them, you are matched with a Care team, given their contact information and clear understand of the procedures and protocols. Location is also very accessible by public transportation, which was important to me.
It was mostly covered by my insurance
Dr. Karipcin recommended only transferring 1 frozen embryo because the of splitting and miscarriage risk. We only had 1 embryo so we didnt have to think about transferring more then one.
Columbia University

Dr. K was incredibly kind with such positive energy. Every time she performed an ultrasound or procedure for me, I noticed how she went out of her way to acknowledge and thank her nurse and supporting staff for assisting her, which speaks volumes to the type of person she is...She is a true angel sent to help us and so many others achieve their dream to become parents
We cannot sing Columbia's praises enough. Each and every person we came into contact with was incredibly supportive, kind, and thorough and took the time to get to know us as people. The lab is state-of-the-art and the research they perform and study is cutting-edge...Everyone was always so positive and supportive that I actually looked forward to each visit! Each staff member took the time to get to know me personally.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
We are patients of the one and only Dr. K. She is a true angel sent to help us and so many others achieve their dream to become parents. From our very first meeting with her, she immediately helped us feel safe, well taken care of, and supported. She knew our case inside and out and went out of her way to get to know us personally. She remembered little details about our personal lives that she would bring up off the cuff during appointments. We always trusted her wholeheartedly and knew she was going above and beyond for us. We would often email her all of our questions and she always responded that very same day. Her knowledge of new research helped lead us to outstanding results - 12 embryos in 2 retrievals (and I have a low AMH). Most of all, Dr. K was incredibly kind with such positive energy. Every time she performed an ultrasound or procedure for me, I noticed how she went out of her way to acknowledge and thank her nurse and supporting staff for assisting her, which speaks volumes to the type of person she is. She blessed us with a sweet baby boy due in January and we cannot be more grateful.
No need to look anywhere else. She is top notch - can't imagine a better fertility doctor exists in the world!
She is a true angel sent to help us and so many others achieve their dream to become parents. From our very first meeting with her, she immediately helped us feel safe, well taken care of, and supported. She knew our case inside and out and went out of her way to get to know us personally. She remembered little details about our personal lives that she would bring up off the cuff during appointments. We always trusted her wholeheartedly and knew she was going above and beyond for us. We would often email her all of our questions and she always responded that very same day. Most of all, Dr. K was incredibly kind with such positive energy. Every time she performed an ultrasound or procedure for me, I noticed how she went out of her way to acknowledge and thank her nurse and supporting staff for assisting her, which speaks volumes to the type of person she is.
I was diagnosed with a low AMH for my age, but results produced were far better than I had expected. First retrieval, I took clomid for 5 days then started stims on day 3 (225 mg of Gonal and 2 powder vials of Menopur), introduced Cetrotide a few days later, used Novarel trigger. Produced 15 eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, 5 made it to blastocyst (untested because of young age and we were unsure how many embryos I'd make based on low AMH). Second retrieval was luteal stims based on new research Columbia is studying and has found it can be productive for young women with low AMH to take advantage of other follicles that are still growing from first round. I started stims 1 week after my first retrieval (no clomid). I did same dosages of Gonal and Menopur, introduced Cetrotide around the time my period came (from 1st retrieval, which doesn't make an impact on 2nd retrieval). I did a dual trigger with small dosage of Novarel and Lupron, which they are finding helps egg maturity and it did! 18 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 15 fertilized, 9 blastocysts, and 7 of the 9 tested normal with 2 low mosaics. Truly incredible results!
Dr. K's nurse Varda was so supportive. She answered all of our questions and always took the time to reassure us. She is really such a remarkable nurse. Zaria and Emma (Dr. K's office managers) were always helpful in scheduling my appointments and making time for me. The staff whom I saw almost daily became what felt like my second family. From the front desk, to the nurse techs like Jen and Megan who got to know me so well, to the wonderful sonographers Rachel and and Margaret, who always made me feel comfortable and spent lots of time with me during each ultrasound appointment answering all of my questions and explaining everything thoroughly. I never felt nervous during my monitoring appointments. Everyone was always so positive and supportive that I actually looked forward to each visit! Each staff member took the time to get to know me personally.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We cannot sing Columbia's praises enough. Each and every person we came into contact with was incredibly supportive, kind, and thorough and took the time to get to know us as people. The lab is state-of-the-art and the research they perform and study is cutting-edge.When you go through IVF, you of course want a great doctor who is up-to-date on new protocols and research, but you also want to make sure you have a great lab. Columbia's lab results are phenomenal and is run by Dr. Forman who is also renowned. I worked with other doctors (Brady and Lobo) and the two attendings (one being Robles) for my egg retrievals and I knew I was always under great care. Dr. Brady slept in a hotel across the street the night before my retrieval during the crazy NYC blizzard in Feb 2021! They all go above and beyond. It's important to find a clinic with a strong staff of doctors (not just 1 or 2 great ones). The anesthesiologist on staff (Dr. Hershan) is also fantastic and takes great care of you. I trusted each doctor, nurse, and staff member wholeheartedly. The clinic itself is pristine. I never experienced any long wait times.
All covered by my Progyny insurance.
1 healthy, tested embryo
Columbia University

Dr Karipcin seemed genuinely invested in the best results for me and my husband. She would take the time to call me to answer any questions I might have. She also made sure to schedule when for appointments when she could see me whenever possible...We started working towards a regular IVF cycle however at first the embryos weren’t all growing at the same pace so we switched to IUI
[our Columbia U nurse] was organized, knowledgeable and helpful in terms of answering my questions when needed...The clinic is well organized despite the high number of patients they see per day. Morning monitoring Appointments are typically quick without much wait time...My husband was even allowed to come in for the transfer and one of the ultrasounds.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr Karipcin is knowledgeable and explains fully all options available. She shows care and compassion throughout the process. When results were not going as expected at first she was honest and quick to correct the course so we would not waste time and money. She seemed very confident for my first transfer and it ended up being successful as expected.
Make sure to ask any questions you might have along the way. Dr K and her care team, Varda and Zaria are all very busy but they will take the time to help answer your concerns so do not hesitate to reach out if you do not hear back in terms of next steps or process as soon as expected.
Dr Karipcin seemed genuinely invested in the best results for me and my husband. She would take the time to call me to answer any questions I might have. She also made sure to schedule when for appointments when she could see me whenever possible. I looked forward to my appointments with her.
We started working towards a regular IVF cycle however at first the embryos weren’t all growing at the same pace so we switched to IUI. I then did 2 full IVF cycles in order to get enough good embryos since we want more than one child. Then I started the progesterone shots to prepare for my FET which was successful.
Varda was organized, knowledgeable and helpful in terms of answering my questions when needed.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is well organized despite the high number of patients they see per day. Morning monitoring Appointments are typically quick without much wait time. Everyone is nice and helpful and seems to know what they are doing. There was a but more of a wait time for the actual procedures but they make sure that you are feeling well before leaving providing juice and snacks. My husband was even allowed to come in for the transfer and one of the ultrasounds.
Columbia University

I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserved, so our plan [with Dr. Karipcin] was to "batch" - do 3 egg retrievals in a row to get as many embryos as we could prior to a transfer. I responded better than expected to a combination of injectable medication and wound up getting about 21 eggs total, 6 or 7 of which fertilized into viable day 5 embryos that were frozen. Because I generally responded well, my protocol did not need to be adjusted for all 3 of my cycles.
Varda [nurse at Columbia University] was wonderful. She always emailed me with thorough information and instructions after my visit, promptly answered the (many) questions I had, and could just tell, even through a computer screen, if I was freaking out, at which point she would call me...They also coordinated care very well - I always received an email follow up the day of my appointments and spoke often with my doctor. I also never had a problem quickly reaching a doctor on call with a medical issue. On the downside, it is a BUSY clinic. There were days that I was just feeling tired of the whole process and going into a busy clinic just felt demoralizing. This was balanced by the excellent care I felt that I received.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. Karipcin was always matter of fact and clearly laid out our options, while also being sensitive to how complicated fertility treatment can be for patients. She took the time to explain each step of the process with myself and my husband, especially when we had to adjust our plans - which we had to do for COVID, because of a diagnosis of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome and because, during one cycle for a frozen transfer, I messed up my medication. At each turn, she was reassuring and planned the way forward. She was also very encouraging after our embryo transfer worked. Despite how busy the clinic is during morning monitoring, she made the time to be at each of my ultrasounds prior to my discharge to my OB. I was diagnosed with an SCH bleed and she made sure to adjust my treatment and bring me back in for an additional ultrasound prior to being released to my OB.
Be clear about what your goals are (one child or more, for example) and make sure to ask all of your questions.
Despite the clinic being very busy, Dr. Karipcin always took the time to explain next steps, options, etc. She also made sure that my health and wellbeing was considered in our fertility plan.
I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserved, so our plan was to "batch" - do 3 egg retrievals in a row to get as many embryos as we could prior to a transfer. I responded better than expected to a combination of injectable medication and wound up getting about 21 eggs total, 6 or 7 of which fertilized into viable day 5 embryos that were frozen. Because I generally responded well, my protocol did not need to be adjusted for all 3 of my cycles.
Varda was wonderful. She always emailed me with thorough information and instructions after my visit, promptly answered the (many) questions I had, and could just tell, even through a computer screen, if I was freaking out, at which point she would call me. I cannot speak highly enough of her.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia Fertility worked like a well oiled machine for the most part, even amidst COVID. I can only think of a handful of times when I was seen at my appointment time. They also coordinated care very well - I always received an email follow up the day of my appointments and spoke often with my doctor. I also never had a problem quickly reaching a doctor on call with a medical issue. On the downside, it is a BUSY clinic. There were days that I was just feeling tired of the whole process and going into a busy clinic just felt demoralizing. This was balanced by the excellent care I felt that I received.
I am lucky enough to have very good insurance. I only had to pay a co-pay for my medication.
Our plan was always to transfer one embryo. I believe this was based on the characteristics of the embryos we got and because I have secondary infertility, she was confident I would not have any unforeseen issues with implantation.
Columbia University

Dr. K[aripcin] was available by email or (virtual) appointment and we felt that she got to know us and our situation. She arranged her schedule to be available to perform important milestones in our treatment herself, and even dropped into my first pregnancy ultrasound. We felt like she was up-to-speed on our treatment despite undoubtedly having many other patients!...She set expectations accordingly for our treatment - she was always positive but was realistic about the success rates given my age. We felt that her recommendations for our protocol, which included ICSI and PGT, gave us the greatest chance of success in the shortest time.
The CUFC team, from the scheduling assistants to the phlebotamists to the technicians, nurses and doctors was great. I felt like the whole team was coordinated, communicative, and compassionate. I appreciated the scheduled appointments (no waiting, due to covid) and the fact that the clinic was open 7 days a week...This clinic was a good fit for us - I appreciated the organization and communication of the team (timed appointments, staff available by email, phone, and zoom) and the level of care we received. The insurance team worked with us to get our procedures covered. We had to be proactive in the beginning to schedule some of the required testing (some of which happens outside of CUFC), but once we were "in the system" I felt like we were well cared for and our treatment moved along smoothly.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K has a lovely bedside manner and a clearly explained the technical aspects of the treatment and the risks. She set expectations accordingly for our treatment - she was always positive but was realistic about the success rates given my age. We felt that her recommendations for our protocol, which included ICSI and PGT, gave us the greatest chance of success in the shortest time.
Our treatment was slow to get started due to covid-mandated shutdowns and requirements of our insurance for specific tests / protocols before beginning IVF. Many of these are timed with your cycle, so they can take several months to complete (we started IVF treatment about 4 months after our initial appointment). This was frustrating and confusing, but once we completed the required testing and had the go-ahead from insurance to start IVF, everything that was managed within CUFC was very organized and proceeded smoothly. I would advise patients to be prepared for the length of the process.
We had a positive experience with Dr. K and CUFC. Dr. K was available by email or (virtual) appointment and we felt that she got to know us and our situation. She arranged her schedule to be available to perform important milestones in our treatment herself, and even dropped into my first pregnancy ultrasound. We felt like she was up-to-speed on our treatment despite undoubtedly having many other patients!
We went straight to IVF due to my age. Dr. K recommended PGT testing of embryos. Semen analysis uncovered male-factor issues, so Dr. K also recommended ICSI (which the insurance assistant was able to get covered by our insurance). We were lucky to get 2 chromosomally balanced embryos and transferred 1 in a single frozen embryo transfer. The transfer was successful and I'm currently 17 weeks pregnancy. While we were initially hesitant to do the additional steps of PGT and ICSI, in hindsight they increased our chances of success and reduced the likelihood that we would have needed to do additional rounds of IVF.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We spent about $6K out of pocket. Luckily insurance covered most of the tests and procedures we needed. We paid out of pocket for PGT testing ($2500) and a perhaps few other tests, and the rest of the costs were for insurance deductible (for both myself and partner), copays, and prescription copays. The clinic informed us of out of pocket costs as they arose, but it was difficult to estimate in advance what the treatment would cost when we didn't know our course of treatment.
Columbia University

Dr Karipcin was extremely thorough with my husband and I and explained all of the test results and possibility to Us as human beings. She was empathetic and answered all of our questions on our zoom consult as well as on the phone and on emails whenever we reached out...we never were able to meet Dr K in person but we understand that she is busy and trying to help as many patients as possible! Her colleagues that did my ultrasounds and my IUI were wonderful!
[Columbia University was] always on time with appointments, staff seemed knowledgeable and smart. Only negative part of experience was that there were different doctors at different times and I didn’t get to meet my specific doctor in person but they all made me feel comfortable...I never got to meet my primary nurse or care coordinator but they generally were responsive to my emails. Phone calls were less responded to.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr K was extremely thorough and comprehensive with our treatment. She provided us with all our choices and appreciated our decision and choice to go with IUI first since it was less invasive. She was compassionate and really wanted to answer all of our questions and make us feel as comfortable with the process as possible. The only negative thing I would say about our experience is that we never were able to meet Dr K in person but we understand that she is busy and trying to help as many patients as possible! Her colleagues that did my ultrasounds and my IUI were wonderful!
Go for it! She wants to help her patients as much as possible and was so happy along with us when we got the great news that we were pregnant. She is passionate about helping her patients and we were lucky to Have found her!
Dr Karipcin was extremely thorough with my husband and I and explained all of the test results and possibility to Us as human beings. She was empathetic and answered all of our questions on our zoom consult as well as on the phone and on emails whenever we reached out. She treated me as an individual person and was there for me when I need answers and help!
My first attempted IUI cycle, we used clomid but I overresponded and had too many dominant follicles that grew (10) and they had to cancel the IUI as it was too risky. The second attempt she altered the medication and gave me Letrozole and lowered the dose and I responded well to that with only 4 dominant follicles. That first IUI resulted in a positive pregnancy and I am now happily almost 9 weeks pregnant!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Care coordinator Zaria Holcomb and nurse Varda )
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Good covid protocols, always on time with appointments, staff seemed knowledgeable and smart. Only negative part of experience was that there were different doctors at different times and I didn’t get to meet my specific doctor in person but they all made me feel comfortable and I got the results I wanted so I was fine with that!
I believe that I only needed to pay copays when I went into the clinic.
N/A.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
Last week I was told that I would be called or emailed with my bloodwork results and I needed to follow up with my doctor and nurse and they forgot to give me those results. It only happened one time.

2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
[The nurse at Columbia University was] always available...was very helpful throughout the process, answered all of my questions thoroughly and was a great communicatior...Antoinette was the financial coordinator and she was excellent at handling all of the insurance - it was very seamless for us...The clinic is well staffed with excellent professionals. When my doctor was unavailable, I always felt like I was in good hands with the other medical professionals. They are a very well organized clinic and adhere to the highest standards of care.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K is authentic. Her interactions with the patient are not a show of care. She is genuine in her words of encouragement (and congratulations!), and is sincere in discussions about the more serious topics. Along those lines, Dr. K is extremely knowledgeable. Her professional credentials are impressive to read on her bio website. It’s even more impressive how she conveys her knowledge in a way that is clear and thorough. She made every effort to attend all of my visits and procedures within reason and always would stop in to check on me when she was at the clinic which felt very frequent. Because of the nature of the procedures and timing, it is not reasonable to expect your doctor to be there for every single visit and procedure. It was the best experience I have had with any doctor to date.
Feel comfortable knowing you are working with one of the best doctors. Trust her advice and guidance.
Dr. Karipcin (Dr. K) is the kindest, warmest doctor I have ever had the pleasure working with. I have had some really bad experiences with doctors and she completely changed my perspective on the doctor patient relationship. She took the time to fully understand our medical backgrounds, knew our information cold throughout the whole treatment process and was able to connect with us on a personal level. She is incredibly patient and thoughtful, takes all of the time to answer your questions and share all of the pertinent information you haven’t thought to ask yet. I also observed her interactions with the other staff at the clinic and you can tell she is deeply respected by all of her colleagues which speaks volumes. Our overall experience felt like we received the highest standard of care from a family member.
After our initial evaluation, it was determined we had unexplained infertility. We had been trying to conceive for almost two years, unsuccessfully. Dr. K discussed a range of treatment options from starting with Clomid, IUI and then IVF. Because of our age and other personal considerations, we elected to go straight to the IVF cycle. We were able to talk through the pros and cons of that strategy with Dr. K and felt comfortable moving forward on that path. We started with the egg retrieval process which went very smoothly. After that procedure and ahead of embryo transfer, Dr. K ordered an ultrasound and discovered a uterine polyp which needed to be removed prior to the transfer to ensure optimal environment for implantation. I was disappointed as it felt like a delay in the process (on top of being delayed by COVID) but Dr. K was totally right and it was worth it to have it removed. Dr. K handled that procedure as well as the embryo transfer, both of which were successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Varda Souverain )
Varda is an excellent nurse, always available and a fantastic extension of Dr. K. Varda was very helpful throughout the process, answered all of my questions thoroughly and was a great communicatior. The ultrasound and blood technicians were also excellent, very kind and caring.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
We were extremely fortunate that the cost of our treatment was largely covered by insurance, so we were responsible for co-pays on prescriptions and visits. I took advantage of my FSA to cover these costs. Antoinette was the financial coordinator and she was excellent at handling all of the insurance - it was very seamless for us.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
To preface my commentary, COVID-19 has been a VERY fluid situation and information and protocols were changing constantly which was out of the clinics control. The day before I was scheduled to go in for a procedure, the care coordinator informed me by email they could not perform the procedure without a COVID test which put me into a panic. I had to find a testing clinic last minute and was worried without results they would not do the procedure. I had to call for clarification on this and they let me have the procedure and pass on the COVID results a few days later. A call versus an email to discuss this would have been preferred and probably would have avoided frustration and panic. Other than this, they were very well organized and communicative.
Columbia University
[Dr. Karipcin] was available to us via email with any questions. She was ready and willing to meet with us to clarify upcoming procedures and expectations. She made an effort to make as many of our appointments as possible...She showed up for our transfer on her day off because she cares about us as her patients...When she couldn't make an appointment, she assured us we were in good hands with specific colleagues...
The Columbia Fertility location is well kept, clean, and fresh. The staff are positive and welcoming. They coordinate care with one another quite well. Materials are organized...A couple of times the clinic forgot to call with my results. Most of the time they emailed the test results right away, especially pregnancy test results...Varda [a nurse] was very responsive to questions via email and phone. She made sure we felt comfortable with our care plan
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Columbia University?
Dr. K. was available to us via email with any questions. She was ready and willing to meet with us to clarify upcoming procedures and expectations. She made an effort to make as many of our appointments as possible. When she couldn't make an appointment, she assured us we were in good hands with specific colleagues.
Be open with Dr. K. about your questions and concerns. She is warm and genuinely cares about her patients' needs.
Dr. K. was very personable and forthcoming with us. She spent time answering our questions, shared realistic expectations, and remained realistically optimistic about our chances. She showed up for our transfer on her day off because she cares about us as her patients.
We did three cycles of timed intercourse (1 with Clomid, 2 with Letrozole) and three cycles of IUI (all with Letrozole pills and Ovidrel injections). I had laparoscopic surgery in between treatments to address endometriosis. We had a retrieval resulting in 18 eggs, only 2 of which ended up being fully viable. The fentanyl following retrieval did not agree with me. The pain was otherwise manageable. We did one IVF cycle with a 5-day frozen embryo.
Varda was very responsive to questions via email and phone. She made sure we felt comfortable with our care plan.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Columbia Fertility location is well kept, clean, and fresh. The staff are positive and welcoming. They coordinate care with one another quite well. Materials are organized. One of the phlebotemists caused me more pain than usual, but the staff allowed me to request not to have her for my blood draws. Somehow, even though it's a big practice, I usually didn't feel like a number there. I felt like they knew me and genuinely cared about my treatment.
We didn't discuss number of embryos in too much depth. She recommended one and chose the embryo based on the order in which the embryos were retrieved and tested.
Columbia University

Dr. Karipcin was so sweet and wonderful. She genuinely cares about her patients...After lack of ovulation for months, I was diagnosed with PCOS. I wanted the least intensive course of action initially. She started me on Letrozole and told me we could do a certain amount of courses until moving on to the next step. I got pregnant twice but miscarried both times around 6-7 weeks. She personally performed my second D&C with genetic testing... She takes the time to sit down, look you in the eye, and discuss questions and results with you. I never felt like a number or that I was being rushed out of the room..
Nursing staff [Conceptions Florida] was good but didn’t do too much besides escorting me into the room for ultrasounds. The only other time I had direct nursing care was during my D&C and for the procedure the nursing staff was absolutely wonderful...they are busy. The appointment times often given were totally unrealistic for a working professional. Luckily my doctor [Karipcin] helped facilitate appointments that I could make after work.
How was your experience with Sinem Karipcin at Conceptions Florida?
Dr. Karipcin was so sweet and wonderful. She genuinely cares about her patients. She takes the time to sit down, look you in the eye, and discuss questions and results with you. I never felt like a number or that I was being rushed out of the room. She made it clear that her ultimate goal was the same as mine, successful treatment. She always made herself available for questions or concerns. I was happy to be under her care.
As with any fertility doctor, stay organized with what the plan of care is. Keep track of your tests that are completed and what is the next step.
After lack of ovulation for months, I was diagnosed with PCOS. I wanted the least intensive course of action initially. She started me on Letrozole and told me we could do a certain amount of courses until moving on to the next step. I got pregnant twice but miscarried both times around 6-7 weeks. She personally performed my second D&C with genetic testing. She is currently supporting my next step of IVF from afar as she transitions into a new position.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Florida.
Nursing staff was good but didn’t do too much besides escorting me into the room for ultrasounds. The only other time I had direct nursing care was during my D&C and for the procedure the nursing staff was absolutely wonderful.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Florida.
I’ve never been to a different fertility center but similarly to OBGYN offices, they are busy. The appointment times often given were totally unrealistic for a working professional. Luckily my doctor helped facilitate appointments that I could make after work.
Most of my costs were ultrasounds and blood work.