4.4

399 Albany Shaker Road
Loudonville, NY 12211
518.434.9759

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Elguero is very knowledgeable in the field of fertility. She has a very scientific approach to treatment, and clearly explains both the diagnosis and her plans for treatment. She is very dedicated to finding out what could be causing the infertility and set up a whole bunch of tests for us. ... She also checked on our mental and emotional well being during each appointment, and took our preferences into account when deciding on treatment options. ...
The staff at this clinic [Boston IVF - The Albany Center] is definitely it's greatest strength. The nurses are all wonderful and the front desk receptionists are always pleasant. The ultrasound technicians are professional and make it as least awkward as possible. Phone calls are usually returned the same day. The office itself is nice, although the waiting room can get very full during lab hours! One weakness is that the ultrasound and blood work appointments can get very backed up on busy mornings. I think this is just a small space/staff issue.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Dr. Elguero is very knowledgeable in the field of fertility. She has a very scientific approach to treatment, and clearly explains both the diagnosis and her plans for treatment. She is very dedicated to finding out what could be causing the infertility and set up a whole bunch of tests for us. She also makes sure to ask about your emotional and mental status throughout treatment. She did not push for any certain treatments, rather very clearly described our options and let us decide what we wanted to do next. Her delivery of information can be rather fast and overwhelming- she is all about the data. She also has a more blunt delivery, but does show concern and understanding with issues. We usually leave appointments with her satisfied with her treatment plan and care. However, she does rely on her staff for most of her communication outside actual appointments with her. We do not get to meet with her very often, and never even heard from her directly after our miscarriage (just from her head nurse). It is difficult to get an appointment with her, and usually there is a waiting period.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Bring something to take notes, as she will provide you with a ton of information during your appointment that may be overwhelming at first.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
The office was always quick to answer any questions we had and follow ups with Dr. Elguero to touch base on how we were doing with everything. She also checked on our mental and emotional well being during each appointment, and took our preferences into account when deciding on treatment options.
Describe the protocols Sonia Elguero used in your cycles at Boston IVF - The Albany Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Elguero started me in Clomid and Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. I first took 50mg of Clomid for 5 days, and then had ultrasound and blood work on cycle day 12 to monitor my progress. From there, they told me when to do my Ovidrel shot. I went in for my IUI 36 hours later. That had a negative pregnancy result. From there, she increased my Clomid to 150mg/day for 5 days. I continued with ultrasound and blood work monitoring and the Ovidrel shot. I did this for 5 more iuis. My last one resulted in a pregnancy. I unfortunately miscarried at 6 weeks. I am now currently waiting for my cycle to begin for our new round of treatment, which will involve injectables for 10 days, along with monitoring, and then another IUI. She is willing to try this for 4 cycles before moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
My assigned nurse has changed 3 times over the course of my treatment. My current nurse is Kim, and she is great. All 3 have been wonderful. They always took time to answer my questions, got back to me quickly with test results, and Kim has shown great compassion throughout treatment and our miscarriage. If my nurse is unavailable, another one is always willing to take my call. The nurses also performed all of my IUIs and were very clear in explaining the process to me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
The staff at this clinic is definitely it's greatest strength. The nurses are all wonderful and the front desk receptionists are always pleasant. The ultrasound technicians are professional and make it as least awkward as possible. Phone calls are usually returned the same day. The office itself is nice, although the waiting room can get very full during lab hours! One weakness is that the ultrasound and blood work appointments can get very backed up on busy mornings. I think this is just a small space/staff issue.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
My insurance covered almost everything, including medications. There is a $60 copay for every appointment. If we do IVF, we were told it could cost up to around $12,000 (including monitoring costs) depending on the medications.
Loudonville

Dr. Elguero was kind, very communicative and caring. She genuinely expressed an interest in us as individuals and as a unique couple. My only criticism is that your interaction with her is very limited unless you fight for more access.... I feel she is very knowledgable about my protocols... but not well versed in the male factor infertility that was affecting us. I found myself bringing research and options to her rather than the other way around, which is frustrating.
Pro's: they [Boston IVF - Albany] are efficient and compassionate. The techs who do bloodwork and ultrasound are very good. They are mostly organized and follow through on procedure, timing, meds, etc. Con's: personally prefer more interaction with doctor and innovative thinking for our difficult case.... IUI was covered by insurance. We received a military discount. IVF with ICSI was about $9k plus PGS $3,500 plus transfer $1,500
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
I feel she is very knowledgable about my protocols and how my body was responding to treatment, but not well versed in the male factor infertility that was affecting us. I found myself bringing research and options to her rather than the other way around, which is frustrating.
Do your own research and ask a lot of questions.
Started with IUI, did 3 rounds. Said if didn't work by then, probably wouldn't. Given sperm analysis (motility and morphology #s), suggested IVF/ICSI/PGS testing. Her protocol for my meds worked very well (no real adjustments needed) but DNA fragmentation resulted in only 1 good embryo from a total of 13 fertilizing. Now pursing possibly sperm biopsy for ICSI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
Pro's: very nice, accessible, helpful Con's: incorrect, incomplete information relayed and medication mistake
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Pro's: they are efficient and compassionate. The techs who do bloodwork and ultrasound are very good. They are mostly organized and follow through on procedure, timing, meds, etc. Con's: personally prefer more interaction with doctor and innovative thinking for our difficult case.
Describe Sonia Elguero's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
N/A.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
prescribed incorrect drug. one of prescriptions not ordered received incorrect information about medical status
Loudonville
Dr. Elguero is very knowledgeable and resourceful, but you have to make the effort to see her if your treatment plan isn't effective within a couple if months...No pregnancies yet. Letrozole 7.5 mg per cycle and Ovidrel injectables along with bloodwork and ultrasounds...after the initial consultation, I never heard from her or saw her unless I made the appointment to discuss the next step in the treatment plan.
Casey [nurse at Boston IVF] is quick to get back to patients with results of ultrasounds and bloodwork. She is very accommodating to scheduled and is flexible with clinic times. If she is unsure of an answer she will speak to the doctor and specify a time frame she will get back to you...The clinic is divided into 2 sections, the first for clinic appointments to receive monitoring and the other to see the doctor. However the coffee bar and general environment is welcoming and comfortable. When you walk in, you are immediately welcomed by the front desk.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
The first time I met Dr. Elguero I was greeted with a warm smile. I felt like I was in competent hands. During our consultation, she thoroughly explained the plan of initial treatment and what she believed was the underlying diagnose. She is very smart and is able to answer any questions. However, after the initial consultation, I never heard from her or saw her unless I made the appointment to discuss the next step in the treatment plan.
Every time I walk into the clinic I am greeted by friendly faces. During the many times i have been late due to the travel time, I never felt like a burden. From the receptionist to the nurse to the financial aid expert, everyone returned my calls in a timely manner. When I arrive to appointments I am taken back quickly and they do their job efficiently. The environment they have created feels safe and inviting.
No pregnancies yet. Letrozole 7.5 mg per cycle and Ovidrel injectables along with bloodwork and ultrasounds. No further treatment due to financial costs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Casey)
Casey is quick to get back to patients with results of ultrasounds and bloodwork. She is very accommodating to scheduled and is flexible with clinic times. If she is unsure of an answer she will speak to the doctor and specify a time frame she will get back to you.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Insurance has covered all costs with timed intercourse monitoring. After that, due to the fact that we are active duty military we are a discount as tricare will not cover any infertility monitoring with IUI or IVF.
Loudonville

Dr Elguero seems almost nervous or awkward when she talks to you, which made me feel less confident in her knowledge/abilities when I first met her. After more appointments with her, I was less worried about it. It's just her personality. She's pretty upfront with her explanations of things, and has no issue explaining things in simpler terms to ensure you understand....It seemed like she would have experimented more loosely if we weren't so concerned about the cost,
The clinic [Boston IVF] is very organized. Everything is very clean. The waiting room is comfortable. All the staff are kind and thorough in explaining things. They're helpful and supportive...All the nursing staff at the clinic were incredibly kind and supportive. Blood draws were always quick and relatively painless...Everyone starts their cycle at the same time each month. I couldn't start my second IVF cycle earlier because I was told "this month's cycle is starting in 2 days and you wouldn't get your meds in time." In the long run, waiting another month wasn't a big deal but it was frustrating that I had to fit into the herd's timeline.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Dr Elguero seems almost nervous or awkward when she talks to you, which made me feel less confident in her knowledge/abilities when I first met her. After more appointments with her, I was less worried about it. It's just her personality. She's pretty upfront with her explanations of things, and has no issue explaining things in simpler terms to ensure you understand. One thing that *really* bothered my husband was that as soon as she was reminded we were paying out of pocket instead of with insurance, she adjusted the protocol and plans for possible future protocols. It seemed like she would have experimented more loosely if we weren't so concerned about the cost, which makes us wonder if the successful cycle would have been several cycles later instead.
Make sure you are prepared with all of your questions ahead of time and make sure she takes the time to answer them.
For our IUI cycle, we used meds typically used for IVF to see how my body woild respond. We were under the impression the IUI would not be successful because of my endometriosis and blocked tubes. Menopur and Follistim were used, along with Ganirelix. For the first IVF cycle, we used Menopur, Follistim, and Ganirelix again. We used a higher dose of Follistim and lower dose of Menopur. It was a very unsuccessful cycle. There were 12 follicles, but only 2 eggs were retrieved. Most follicles were such low quality or not fully matured, and they broke apart when she tried to retrieve eggs. Only one egg was good quality, it was transferred on day 3, and ended in a chemical pregnancy. The second IVF cycle, Dr Elguero decided to "flipflop" the meds. We used a higher dose of Menopur and a lower dose of Follistim. The meds were increased at a slower rate so that follicles would have a better opportunity to mature and develop. 10 eggs were retrieved, 8 fertilized. 6 developed into embryos, 1 was transferred and the other 5 are currently frozen. I'm 18 weeks pregnant from that cycle and things seem to be going smoothly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
All the nursing staff at the clinic were incredibly kind and supportive. Blood draws were always quick and relatively painless. The ultrasound techs were all very friendly and thorough in their explanations. Everyone in the office was always friendly. Some of the staff have also gone through fertility treatments themselves, which added an extra layer of comfort when they discussed the process with me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
The clinic is very organized. Everything is very clean. The waiting room is comfortable. All the staff are kind and thorough in explaining things. They're helpful and supportive. I was actually sad to be released from the office and sent to my new OBGYN.
For IUI, meds and procedure were covered by insurance and we only had to pay our $10 copay. For IVF, nothing was covered by insurance. Meds cost $3000, procedure cost $6500, and freezing embryos that weren't transferred cost $1000
I was not given an option regarding the number of embryos transferred. Dr Elguero said she would only transfer one embryo because I was young and carrying multiples was high risk.

Unknown Success
Sonia [Elguero] was lovely. I always felt paid attention to and she answered any question we had. She was great at de-coding the jargon and telling us what was going on. But, we've only seen her twice in nearly 9 months going to this clinic [Boston IVF]. ... We're a same sex couple not (yet?) experiencing infertility, and my wife (who will carry) is 28 with regular cycles. ... We're having issues with the opk but our doctor didn't switch us to use the trigger shot until the 4th cycle... probably because she's so difficult to schedule with.
We speculate it may be because we're a same sex couple without infertility (...yet), but the systems of this clinic [Boston IVF - The Albany Center] make us feel like a number. Once you're put on a track (ex: IUI, unmedicated, opk), there's not much personalized care from there. ... Their front desk staff can be rude and cold sometimes. ... we got information about sperm drop off and everything the "husband" needed to do. We're a same sex couple, and they know that.
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Sonia was lovely. I always felt paid attention to and she answered any question we had. She was great at de-coding the jargon and telling us what was going on. But, we've only seen her twice in nearly 9 months going to this clinic.
We speculate it may be because we're a same sex couple without infertility (...yet), but the systems of this clinic make us feel like a number. Once you're put on a track (ex: IUI, unmedicated, opk), there's not much personalized care from there. We had issues nailing down the surge with the opk, and the nurse wasn't a ton of help. Even went so far to insist that only morning readings of the opk were precise enough for them to go by. I've done further research... not true! Felt like it was because she needed to rush me off the phone and get our scheduling finished.
We're a same sex couple not (yet?) experiencing infertility, and my wife (who will carry) is 28 with regular cycles. IUI attempts 1 - 3 were unmedicated, opk, no trigger shot to minimize any unnecessary intervention. We're having issues with the opk but our doctor didn't switch us to use the trigger shot until the 4th cycle... probably because she's so difficult to schedule with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: Shawna)
I don't think she's still at the clinic, but Shawna was really difficult to work with. Constantly rushing me off the phone, not really answering my questions. We got switched to Kim recently, and she's been a bit better, but it's clear she doesn't have time for much personalization in her approach to care.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Their front desk staff can be rude and cold sometimes. It feels like we're put on a treatment track and stay there till at least the next cycle. To the point where we got information about sperm drop off and everything the "husband" needed to do. We're a same sex couple, and they know that. We both attend every single appointment. It's happened twice that we showed up and they didn't have our appointment on the books. One of those times, the front desk staff acted as if we were SUCH a burden to them, when they didn't schedule our appointment properly. Overall, if I could start all over, I'd choose a clinic where the doctor - or at least your assigned nurse - is the one performing the ultrasounds, etc. At this clinic, an ultrasound tech does them and then your nurse calls with information later in the day. It's SO frustrating that the techs literally aren't allowed to share with you what they're seeing in your uterus as they do the ultrasound, and then the nurses rush you off the phone later.
Honestly, it's hard to keep up.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
We feel that we weren't given a full picture of what an unmedicated, unmonitored, opk cycle meant, and how much other options at the start would have upped our chances. As a same sex "fertile" (as far as we know based on the testing albany ivf did) couple, we leaned toward minimal intervention. When we had issues with the opk finding the LH surge, we brought it up to our nurse several times who kept telling us everything was fine and quickly scheduling appointments to get us off the phone. Three failed attempts later (over $2500 in sperm, plus copays and out of pocket things like the sperm thaw), and they finally told us about the trigger shot, which ensures precision in insemination timing. Why did it take 3 failed cycles, especially with the knowledge that timing was challenging for us, for the trigger shot to enter the equation at all? We'd asked for it in previous cycles and our nurse assured us that we didn't need it. We also regularly feel rushed off the phone, and the vibe in the office is sometimes that of feeling like a burden to the staff. It's always hard to tell what's just rudeness and what's thinly veiled homophobia/prejudice, so other folks may have a different experience. The staff is frequently rude to me (I'm "visibly queer" and not "traditionally feminine"), but usually warm and kind to my ("traditionally feminine") wife. Can't know for sure, but it's hard not to wonder why.
Loudonville

I dont recall seeing her [Sonia Elguero] alot. I felt she was professional but not as compassionate as i thought she would be. The techs were very nice. I do believe she initially did my iui, but unfortunately it failed.... I used clomid for 4 cycles, and an injection for one of those cycles with iui.... The monitoring was around $300. Iui with sperm was about $500
The clinics [Boston IVF-Albany Center] weakness is that It feels like a doctors office. Not a comfortable setting. I feel a strength is the nurses who give monitoring. They are very friendly and informative at the office. The usually took linger than expected to call you into your appointment.... I used clomid for 4 cycles, and an injection for one of those cycles with iui.... The monitoring was around $300. Iui with sperm was about $500
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
I dont recall seeing her alot. I felt she was professional but not as compassionate as i thought she would be. The techs were very nice. I do believe she initially did my iui, but unfortunately it failed.
To be prepared to have little information and be treated like a patient.
I felt like i was a patient usi g their services. They were nice.
I used clomid for 4 cycles, and an injection for one of those cycles with iui.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
The clinics weakness is that It feels like a doctors office. Not a comfortable setting. I feel a strength is the nurses who give monitoring. They are very friendly and informative at the office. The usually took linger than expected to call you into your appointment.
They wer very high. The monitoring was around $300. Iui with sperm was about $500
Loudonville
Ask her [Dr. Elguero] to test every possible scenario and try to figure out what’s keeping you from getting pregnant rather than repeating treatments that are unsuccessful...She was very sweet. Very informative. But never felt like we were actually looking for the problem and taking care of it. We just did treatment after treatment with no results... I don’t feel like she tried to figure out our issue. Just kept doing treatment after treatment with no result. We had 5 rounds of IUI and we just kept going back for more rather than testing to see what’s wrong.
They [staff at Boston IVF] are very nice and sweet, helpful and compassionate. I would like to see the try to focus on diagnosing the Issue before the keep going to treatments that are not successful and end up being very costly and heartbreaking for the patients...Ask her [Dr. Elguero] to test every possible scenario and try to figure out what’s keeping you from getting pregnant rather than repeating treatments that are unsuccessful
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
At the time of my visit Dr Elguero was Personable, sweet, thorough but at the same time I don’t feel like she tried to figure out our issue. Just kept doing treatment after treatment with no result. We had 5 rounds of IUI and we just kept going back for more rather than testing to see what’s wrong.
Ask her to test every possible scenario and try to figure out what’s keeping you from getting pregnant rather than repeating treatments that are unsuccessful
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
They are very nice and sweet, helpful and compassionate. I would like to see the try to focus on diagnosing the Issue before the keep going to treatments that are not successful and end up being very costly and heartbreaking for the patients
Loudonville
She [Dr. Sonia Elguero] takes the time to explain results, the why, the what and everything in between...definitely is soft spoken but very knowledgable and has your best interest at hand. She makes sure to stop and explain everything she goes over with us and continues to see if we understand or have any questions of what was just reviewed... she doubled the dosage to increase chances of producing more eggs for a better probability to get pregnant
just seemed like one hand didn't know what the other was doing nurse had different information than the doctor [at Boston IVF]...As much as you want to be comfortable in an uncomfortable situation, I must say the waiting room chairs are not very comforting. The people greeting are ok nothing spectacular and not horrible. Once you are in the rest of the facility they are warm & welcoming
How was your experience with Sonia Elguero at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Dr. Elguero definitely is soft spoken but very knowledgable and has your best interest at hand. She makes sure to stop and explain everything she goes over with us and continues to see if we understand or have any questions of what was just reviewed.
Don't be afraid to ask the questions you might not want the answers to, she tells you exactly what can/will happen
She takes the time to explain results, the why, the what and everything in between
She realized that a certain does of the meds wasn't acting as it should so she doubled the dosage to increase chances of producing more eggs for a better probability to get pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Albany Center. (Assigned nurse: michele)
this is where we felt more like we were treated as a number rather than a patient with a delicate situation. The nurses from before(Marsha & Grace) the IVF clinic was bought by Boston definitely treat you more like a single patient and not a number when you walk in the facility
Paying for the IVF, the medicine & the sperm retrieval