Available by cell phone
Doctor personal cell phone
Medical SchoolTexas Tech U.
ResidencyJohns Hopkins
Sugar Land
2205 Williams Trace Blvd
Sugar Land, TX 77478
713-225-5375
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sonja Kristiansen to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Houston Fertility Center to a friend?
Strength. On time, candid, respectful, truthful, Positive demeanor. ... With Dr SONJA [Kristiansen], I felt welcomed. I felt at home. I never felt like I was wasting my money. I was eager to get the process done. I knew meeting her, she was going to be my last fertility Doctor because I believed I was going to conceive. She has this Positive approach that calms your spirit and mind. Oh she's a good listener. She answers all questions and never rushes you. Weakness. I think she's too good
Strengths [of Houston Fertility Center]. Kept appointments on time. Answered calls in a timely manner. No prejudice or discrimination. Always there to help. They made the process easy for me and my husband. Worked with our schedule and our comfort. Weakness. None i can think of ... They worked with my schedule and was always on time. Gentle approach and explaining the procedure as we went along. I never felt like I was in the dark
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
Strength. On time, candid, respectful, truthful, Positive demeanor. As a patient, I was hopeful just like I have with other doctors. But once I step into their clinics, I get this negative vibe that turns me away. With Dr SONJA, I felt welcomed. I felt at home. I never felt like I was wasting my money. I was eager to get the process done. I knew meeting her, she was going to be my last fertility Doctor because I believed I was going to conceive. She has this Positive approach that calms your spirit and mind. Oh she's a good listener. She answers all questions and never rushes you. Weakness. I think she's too good
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
Be truthful to your Doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
Dr SONJA listened to us from day one. All questions answered. She was truthful with the procedure. She didn't impose any treatment on us. She allowed us to make our choice after explaining all our questions. We didn't feel pressured into choosing her as our fertility doctor. Our case was unique so was our treatment. She wasn't after our money but our happiness. Above all she is very respectful, knowledgeable, detailed and patient.
Describe the protocols Sonja Kristiansen used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Center and their degree of success.
First was consultation. Then comes the bloodwork and ultrasound. After which I was put on birth control. Then hormonal stimulations which includes Follistim, ganirelix and menopur followed. I triggered with Ovidrel. My protocol was based on my lab results, work schedule, finances. The rational for her using the medications was due to my health history
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lana)
Those nurses are amazing. Very polite, knowledgeable, detailed, patient.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
Strengths. Kept appointments on time. Answered calls in a timely manner. No prejudice or discrimination. Always there to help. They made the process easy for me and my husband. Worked with our schedule and our comfort. Weakness. None i can think of
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Houston Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center.
The procedure was $5000 Co pay $80 per visit Medications $2600
Describe Sonja Kristiansen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Center.
Per law, she gave us the option of transferring 1 or 2 embryo. It was strictly our decision after she explained the pros and cons of a single and double transfer
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center.

We are in the middle of treatment for Invocel [with Dr. Kristiansen]. We have had our consultation, our blood work was taken, my husband has had a semen analysis, and started taking birth control once my cycle started, when I had my sonohysterogram we noticed some spots on my uterine lining could have been "scabbing" from last cycle or could have been submucosal masses (sp). So, we decided to take a cycle off and do some natural remedies to clean out my uterus. Waiting on next cycle to start up again. Nursing Staff
From the phone calls in, to the office visits, everyone is so personable [at Houston Fertility Center]. They always respond promptly to my questions and make sure I leave the office with all questions answered...[nurses are] Informative and compassionate...$1850 blood work/testing/semen analysis...$5,000 for IVO package and another $750 for second sonohysterogram....the room where the semen analysis is collected, my husband said was dirty. Other than that, everything has been great! Appointment times have been on point, and all questions have been answered in a tender and caring but professional way.
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
Dr. K was prompt for our consultation appointment and explained everything to my husband and I so that we left feeling very knowledgeable about our process going forward. I have loved being her patient.
Go in with all your questions ready and just let her do the talking.
From the phone calls in, to the office visits, everyone is so personable. They always respond promptly to my questions and make sure I leave the office with all questions answered. Dr. K and her team will also ask you how your feeling and that makes me really feel like they care about your well being.
We are in the middle of treatment for Invocell. We have had our consultation, our blood work was taken, my husband has had a semen analysis, and started taking birth control once my cycle started, when I had my sonohysterogram we noticed some spots on my uterine lining could have been "scabbing" from last cycle or could have been submucosal masses (sp). So, we decided to take a cycle off and do some natural remedies to clean out my uterus. Waiting on next cycle to start up again.
Informative and compassionate
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
The only complaint that we have had so far is that the room where the semen analysis is collected, my husband said was dirty. Other than that, everything has been great! Appointment times have been on point, and all questions have been answered in a tender and caring but professional way.
IVO cycle: $1850 blood work/testing/semen analysis $5,000 for IVO package and another $750 for second sonohysterogram. No meds covered in any of this cost.
Not sure, I know that she will transfer two, but that is the most she will transfer for me.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Kristiansen was initially very nice and explained what she thought was best for me. A few months later we returned to her clinic excited to start this journey.... Once we came back it was mostly visits with the staff. I saw the doctor for my endometrial biopsy, HSG and egg transfer.... It was very frustrating because I felt no genuine care.... Also worth mentioning, she never ever discussed the appropriate amount of embryos to transfer for me.
The clinic [Houston Fertility Center] is listed as having 2 locations but anytime I made an appointment I expressed that I needed the closer location to my home and somehow they were never available for appointments there.... This clinic is cheaper than other clinics (also a deciding factor for us) but they don’t offer payment plans or financing like some clinics... I felt like one of the medical assistants was very dry and unprofessional.
Latino, Native American
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
Dr. Kristiansen was initially very nice and explained what she thought was best for me. A few months later we returned to her clinic excited to start this journey. It took us a while because we were unsure if this was the route to go and partly because we were not financially ready. Once we came back it was mostly visits with the staff. I saw the doctor for my endometrial biopsy, HSG and egg transfer. Apparently, she was there for the retrieval but I couldnt say for certain since she was late and by then they had already put me under anesthesia. When I woke I only saw the staff once again. It was very frustrating because I felt no genuine care. Once we returned for the egg transfer I was already prepped and on the stirrups. She walks in and doesn’t greet us or say a word. Only gets started on the procedure and mentions I have a perfectly looking uterus and that was all. I mentioned the procedure was very painful and she only says, “almost done”. Her assistant comforted me but that was all. Bone dry. Also worth mentioning, she never ever discussed the appropriate amount of embryos to transfer for me. Granted they gave me a large packet of general information to read, but everyone’s case is different. I had questions but she was never available. Her assistant made recommendations but that was all I had to go by. So I made my own decision. Luckily I had online support groups who helped guide me. Once we received the dreaded call of the negative results it was Dr. kristiansen who called, in which I was surprised. Sadly though, it sounded like another routine call. I went to this doctor because a friend recommended her and she had a successful pregnancy with her. I’m not saying she is a horrible person but if you’re the type of person who needs compassionate care during a stressful and emotional time like this, she is not the doctor for you. I will not return to her but honestly, I don’t think she will ever notice.
Write down all your questions and asks at your consult visit. If you have to annoy the staff with questions then so be it. It is your money (and a lot of it) that you’re forking out. Plus this is no small matter to just wonder about.
Initially for my consultation I felt more like a human. Like she genuinely cared. I took a few months off to decided the correct route for us and when we returned is when I became a number. I saw the doctor maybe 2-3 more times after that (one of which it was during the egg retrieval when I was already out from anesthesia). I saw her staff more than anything.
Birth control first to regulate the cycle and ovulation. My husband and I were also started on a zpack prophylactically. Then blood work to monitor lining. They started me on lupron, then gonal f and menopur. Finally I had the trigger shot (ovidrel) and progesterone in oil. Valium was given during the Day of the transfer to help relax the uterus. Towards the end of stimulation I was started on estradiol and medrol. Medrol was one of the final pills (suppressant) and it was basically to keep the body from rejecting the embryos.
I felt like one of the medical assistants was very dry and unprofessional. Apparently she was new but she had no personality and explained nothing. I want to say her name was Blanca. I will mention Myra was incredibly patient, compassionate and caring. Had it not been for her I probably would’ve wanted to quit treatment altogether. She explained everything in detail and lessened my worries (if at all possible in this process). I cannot rave about her any more. She was just so wonderful.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
The clinic is listed as having 2 locations but anytime I made an appointment I expressed that I needed the closer location to my home and somehow they were never available for appointments there. One of the main reasons I selected her was because of her convenient location in sugar land. I always found myself driving to Houston (45 min away).
These appointments were quick and smooth. With an assistant.
This clinic is cheaper than other clinics (also a deciding factor for us) but they don’t offer payment plans or financing like some clinics. They don’t offer samples of medications either. Full payment is due at the time of the first ultrasound, no questions.
This was never discussed with us.
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Center?

Poor Egg Quality, Other
My personal situation was very unconventional. She [Dr. Kristiansen] never made me feel like there was anything wrong with it. She conveyed optimism but was always very factual and very direct/clear. She showed compassion when I had a miscarriage, I don't remember the details as it was an emotional time but I remember my interaction with her always felt good...She was warm and yet direct. She made empathetic comments and was never judgmental.
The location [Houston Fertility Center - Houston] is very central, easy to get to, which is very important considering the amount of times you have to go there while on treatment. The clinic is well equipped, they had everything that was needed for my treatments and were very professional. I was usually seen quickly and on time...I was in treatment for the better part of about a year and had 2 or three different nurses assigned to my case. The first one was great, really nice. She went on maternity leave and they assigned me to a second nurse. She was ok, not as warm and friendly. There was a third one that would just cover when someone was out and that one was not very friendly. But she was never rude or anything like that, just not nearly as friendly and communicative as the first one.
European, Latino
Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
My personal situation was very unconventional. She never made me feel like there was anything wrong with it. She conveyed optimism but was always very factual and very direct/clear. She showed compassion when I had a miscarriage, I don't remember the details as it was an emotional time but I remember my interaction with her always felt good.
I would just say that my experience with her was very good and that I would not hesitate to seek treatment with her again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
The location is very central, easy to get to, which is very important considering the amount of times you have to go there while on treatment. The clinic is well equipped, they had everything that was needed for my treatments and were very professional. I was usually seen quickly and on time.

IVF, Donor Sperm
The doctor [Dr. Sonja Kristiansen] was very detailed and explained risks and plans to the T. She communicates very well. You can also see the compassion she expresses and the care and need for her patients. She also explains the treatment with understanding of the patient.... They are very detailed in treatment options and are pretty blunt and compassionate to the patient.
The nursing staff [at Houston Fertility Center] that we spoke to have been with Doctor Sonja for a very long time. She has very loyal staff and they were all very sweet and nice.... The location isn't that great but the clinic itself is organized. Very professional. They do have bilingual staff which helps out. The clinic also has their own embryologist and lab. I can't wait to go back.
IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
The doctor was very detailed and explained risks and plans to the T. She communicates very well. You can also see the compassion she expresses and the care and need for her patients. She also explains the treatment with understanding of the patient.
Definitely, ask all the questions you can think of.
The staff and doctor are very caring and love what they do. The consultation went better than our first location CORM. They are very detailed in treatment options and are pretty blunt and compassionate to the patient.
We are still early in the process but I can always rate and review this later.
The nursing staff that we spoke to have been with Doctor Sonja for a very long time. She has very loyal staff and they were all very sweet and nice.
Invocell IVF no insurance we are looking at about $12,000.00
The doctor did explain that it was better for one embryo transfer due to our situation. We definitely have twin Genes and implanting 2 embryos was not an option for my wife and I.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Sonja recommended Invocell for us, as my tubes are beyond feasible repair. Dr. Sonja also allowed me to determine how much fertility medications. ... With Dr. Kristensen I felt that she took get time work me. I loved the fact that she allowed me to ask questions in the interviewing room as opposed to in the exam room. This allowed me to relax and really ask all the questions on my list.
Strengths [of Houston Fertility Institute] would be patient care, rapport and seamless processes. My only complaint or weakness is clinic location. I am really afraid of heights and I hate that the office is so close to the wall. Also there's too much traffic in Katy. ... The nurse care team made me feel like they work around the clock just for me. ... Dr. Sonja recommended Invocell for us, as my tubes are beyond feasible repair. Dr. Sonja also allowed me to determine how much fertility medications.
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Sonja is compassionate. She also knows her stuff. So going into treatment, I was afraid of what will happen. I had many questions and suffered from "over social media itis". Basically I had read so many things online and asked so many non-professionals that I made myself dizzy. So it was imperative for me to empty my mind and be able to hear from Dr. Sonja. She gained my trust and took her time to build a rapport with me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Institute?
I would tell prospective patients to be open, be calm and know that you are in good hands.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Institute?
Describe the protocols Sonja Kristiansen used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
The nurse care team made me feel like they work around the clock just for me.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
Strengths would be patient care, rapport and seamless processes. My only complaint or weakness is clinic location. I am really afraid of heights and I hate that the office is so close to the wall. Also there's too much traffic in Katy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Institute.
$7000
Describe Sonja Kristiansen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Institute.
Dr. Sonja has a strong preference of no more than 2 to transfer.
Houston Fertility Institute
Katy
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Institute.

2012 - 2016
Anovulation, Unexplained
The doctor [Dr. Sonja Kristiansen] was successful in helping me get pregnant with my first son in 2012, however when we tried again in 2015/2016, I spent 8+ trying and the treatments did change slightly. She did not suggest IVF until after 4-5 unsuccessful attempts at using the medication and intercourse method.... She did not spend much time talking to me about what to expect. Her office staff did most of the communication.
[Houston Fertility Institute's] Weaknesses: communication with patients regarding patient protocols was poor. It was always unclear which medications to take at what dosage and at what time. Strengths: they offer early morning and lunch-time appointments... $7,000 to convert a stimulation cycle into a one-time IVF try. I think I spent at least $3,000-5,000 on medications ahead of time.
2012 - 2016
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Institute?
The doctor was successful in helping me get pregnant with my first son in 2012, however when we tried again in 2015/2016, I spent 8+ trying and the treatments did change slightly. She did not suggest IVF until after 4-5 unsuccessful attempts at using the medication and intercourse method.
She is nice but you will not see her very often.
I used Gonal F, Menopur and Ovidrel to get pregnant the first time (when I was 34 years old). The second time, I was 38 years old, and we used the same stuff but added the progesterone shots and Estradiol pills.
Poor communication to patients. They would call and start riddling off instructions before I was ready to write anything down. They also confused me with how to fill prescriptions.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
She said it was completely my choice. I chose to go with one.
Houston Fertility Institute
Houston - Hous

2013
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I thought that she [Dr. Kristiansen] was very nice, but I only saw her 3 times. 1 for my initial consultation, 2 at my egg retrieval & 3 the day she let me go as a patient. I feel that she was very knowledgeable, but it was frustrating that she told me that she couldn't get me pregnant, without giving me an option to use donor eggs...Everyone there [Houston Fertility Center] was kind & understanding of the emotional toll of infertility... I wasn't told how to properly take the birth control pills (after I finished the first pack). This resulted in us having to stop the first round of treatments & wait another month to start over again.
I think they [Houston Fertility Center] desperately need to work on customer service when someone calls in. Most people calling in have NO IDEA how to go about anything in the fertility world, so a nicer voice on the other end of the phone would be helpful...My only issue with the nursing team is, that they didn't fully explain my meds to me....This resulted in us having to stop the first round of treatments & wait another month to start over again.
2013
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Houston Fertility Center?
I thought that she was very nice, but I only saw her 3 times. 1 for my initial consultation, 2 at my egg retrieval & 3 the day she let me go as a patient. I feel that she was very knowledgeable, but it was frustrating that she told me that she couldn't get me pregnant, without giving me an option to use donor eggs.
Ask a ton of questions.
Everyone there was kind & understanding of the emotional toll of infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember her name)
My only issue with the nursing team is, that they didn't fully explain my meds to me. Knowing that this was my 1st time ever doing fertility treatments, I wasn't told how to properly take the birth control pills (after I finished the first pack). This resulted in us having to stop the first round of treatments & wait another month to start over again.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Center.
I think they desperately need to work on customer service when someone calls in. Most people calling in have NO IDEA how to go about anything in the fertility world, so a nicer voice on the other end of the phone would be helpful.
$20,000 ballpark
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Center?

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Kristiansen] was kind, caring, informed and answered the questions I have before I asked them! I felt comfortable with her and they told me to ask any questions I have. I had questions later and emailed and received a response same day.... She was personable and kind. She spoke to me and my husband and addressed our specific issues and concerns.
Invocell is the route we will be taking with the option of PGS [at Houston Fertility Center- Houston].. She [Dr. Kristiansen] does multiple transfers..... They get you in quickly, are nice, caring and thorough. Not sure of weaknesses I’m a new patient but I don’t think things can be any worse than my previous experience. I’ve heard great things about Dr. k and am looking forward to moving forward.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Advanced Fertility Center of Texas?
She was kind, caring, informed and answered the questions I have before I asked them! I felt comfortable with her and they told me to ask any questions I have. I had questions later and emailed and received a response same day.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sonja Kristiansen at Advanced Fertility Center of Texas?
Schedule with her she’s amazing!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sonja Kristiansen at Advanced Fertility Center of Texas?
Describe the protocols Sonja Kristiansen used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Center of Texas and their degree of success.
Invocell is the route we will be taking with the option of PGS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Center of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
They were just as kind as Dr. k and answered all our questions. They provided number for the financial component. Gave us both Invocell and IVF options.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Center of Texas.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sonja Kristiansen at Advanced Fertility Center of Texas.
My copay covered my visit. We will have to pay out of pocket for everything else.
Describe Sonja Kristiansen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Center of Texas.
She does multiple transfers.
Advanced Fertility Center of Texas
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sonja Kristiansen at Advanced Fertility Center of Texas.