Medical SchoolU. of Iowa
ResidencyBlodgett Mem
FellowshipU. of Illinois
1111 Harwood Drive South
Fargo, ND 58104
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Steffen Christensen to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sanford Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
2012 - 2017
2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Steffen Christensen is very personable and makes you feel like he really cares about you. In 2012, I went through some treatments and they were unsuccessful. I know that he would adjust my treatments each month. It was very frustrating to continually have a negative test but Dr Christensen always keep it positive. We ended up pausing our treatments due to having insurance that didn't cover anything. One this that was very nice was that many time Dr C would give us free samples of some of the injectable medication. This was very helpful to us at the time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
He is an awesome Dr and very personable. This is a stressful time and he helps to put you at ease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
he is so personable. Even though we didn't have success in 2012, I recently just met with him to restart some treatments
Describe the protocols Steffen Christensen used in your cycles at Sanford Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I started out with clomid but my lining was thin so I was switched to another med but I cant remember the name. My lining was still thin so we started injectable medication. Follistum and did this for 3 months. Everything seemed to be good but I didn't get pregnancy so we did the follistum with an IUI for 3 months and still no pregnancy. We decided to take a break and ended up getting pregnant on our own. We will be starting with the injectable medication again as soon as I start my cycle. We will not be doing the IUI as he doesn't think I have a problem getting pregnant. Had a miscarriage a year ago. He thinks it a quality of egg issue. I'm not ready to do IVF.
the nursing staff was ok. I remember one of them telling me it was ok to drink at my sisters wedding that weekend when I had one of my IUI treatments. The last thing on my mind was to get drunk at my sisters wedding when all I was wanting was to have a baby. I could have done without that advice
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
very professional looking. makes you feel comfortable. they do ask that you not bring any children which is helpful for many
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
the main cost I remember was the injectable medications and the going to many ultrasounds per cycle. The IUI was also expensive and needed to be paid before the procedure
Describe Steffen Christensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
none
Fargo
I felt like Dr [Steffan Christensen] seemed so busy each time I saw him and just was concerned about following procedure rather than treat as an individual. He would answer my questions if I had them. I felt like he was trying to push me into IVF without doing more investigating if there was something else going on that could be treated first... Dr seemed to treat me as if I were like every other patient rather than listen to my thoughts and concerns
I felt like Dr seemed so busy each time I saw him and just was concerned about following procedure rather than treat as an individual. He would answer my questions if I had them. I felt like he was trying to push me into IVF without doing more investigating if there was something else going on that could be treated first.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and push for what you think is right for YOU and not what the doctor wants that has worked for other patients.
I believe it was standard protocol. I believe he only performed 2 of my IUI's which seemed very routine for him. He performed my egg retrieval and I remember waking up from surgery and my first question was how many eggs did we retrieve and he didn't know and had to call up to a nurse...I was very suspicious about that!
I felt way better working with the nursing staff than the Doctors. The nurses were great!
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
This is a very busy clinic with 3 doctors. I didn't get the option to get to choose only one doctor, so each visit you would have a different Doctor. The doctors were very routine and didn't show much compassion. I had 4 unsuccessful IUI's and unsuccessful 1 IVF cycle. With 9 eggs retrieved only 2 made it. We did 1 fresh transfer and froze the other embryo. After the fresh transfer failed we decided to try a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo and unfortunately our embryo did not survive the thaw, which I was told before the whole IVF process that it is very rare and they don't have this happen much.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
These appointments were very quick and easy
My insurance did not cover any preocedures for infertility. They would still try billing my insurance and then I would get the bills weeks later and they were very confusing. I ended up calling the finance dept with questions often.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
2009 - 2015
PCOS, Other
2009 - 2015
PCOS, Other
Dr. Christensen never rushed the appointments, he always made sure all of my questions were answered and that I fully understood everything. He's kind and sympathizes with you when you are having a hard day with everything. He always makes you feel like you are the priority.
Always ask questions! Never hesitate in calling or brining a list of questions. They are happy to answer all of them!
Dr. Christensen and his entire staff went above and beyond to make sure I received the best care. Whenever I called and had questions, his nurses were always so kind and took the time and patience answering any questions until I felt comfortable. They were always quick to return phone calls and get any test results back to me in a timely manner. I could go on and on about the wonderful treatment I received from everyone there.
My first round we used clomid and ovideral (trigger shot). I had awful side effects from clomid and the cycle failed. Dr. Christensen saw the side effects and he recommended we tried Femara next time first. The second round I started with Femara and the follicles didn't grow to optimal size so they put me on clomid and they grew but my uterine lining was thinned so they started me on estrace. I took the trigger shot and 2 weeks later I finally got a positive test! Dr. Christensen continued to monitor me until my 1st appointment with my OBGYN. At around 7 weeks I was required to go on progesterone and finished it at 12 weeks. I went on to give birth to a beautiful baby boy!
They always took the time to answer questions and never made me feel rushed. They always called back within in a timely manner as well.
2011 - 2017
Dr. Christensen has a kind of quirky personality. He tends to give you all the information, and yet is still able to be lighthearted with you...He was willing to discuss treatment with me at length, and answer all questions. His office also responded quickly to email questions... The only thing he ever did that bothered me was an offhand remark about having two kids in one bedroom when we were first trying for our second baby. But other than that, he was a really great guy.
2011 - 2017
How was your experience with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Christensen has a kind of quirky personality. He tends to give you all the information, and yet is still able to be lighthearted with you. The only thing he ever did that bothered me was an offhand remark about having two kids in one bedroom when we were first trying for our second baby. But other than that, he was a really great guy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Steffen Christensen used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
With our first child we use Clomid and a trigger shot and was pregnant with the first cycle. With our second child we did Clomid for 3 months, my body didn't respond to it. So he switched me to Femara and the trigger shot. We got pregnant on our fourth cycle, which was the first with Femara. For third baby we tried Femara, my body didn't respond and so he gave me a second round of Femara within that cycle. My body ended up ovulating on its own, but having sensed that my husband and I were together and it resulted in a pregnancy.
They are knowledgeable, kind, and answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone working at the clinic had great empathy. They are kind, compassionate and excited for you when you do conceive. I was always very comfortable with everyone working there, from the front desk, to the ultrasound tech, to the nurses and the doctors.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr Christensen spends real quality time with his patients. He sees you after every ultrasound to go through the results and let’s you know any adjustments to your medications and care right away. He answers all questions thoroughly... I used Gonal-F, Menopur and Ganirelix throughout my IVF cycle. Doses were adjusted numerous times to try and help with the number of eggs being made
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Be expected to love your doctor! He is so kind, funny, and willing to do whatever he can to help you
Dr Christensen is very down to earth, kind, compassionate and does whatever he can to help get you pregnant
The nurses are super efficient! They are very compassionate and answer mychart messages almost instantly! They also help with medications if you are running short. I was donated samples during my cycle and it was so helpful
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths of the clinic are great, kind, compassionate staff. The response time with questions is amazing! The nurses are very knowledgeable and the IVF coordinator is super compassionate. Doses of medications are adjusted throughout the IVF cycle to help yield the most amount of eggs. The biggest weakness of the clinic is cost. An IVF cycle is very expensive and we found not afford to do a second retrieval
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
We paid $15,000 for one IVF cycle and another $5,000 for FET. The costs were high
Describe Steffen Christensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Doctors will leave it up to the patient to transfer 1 or 2 embryos
Sioux Falls
I was able to have very detailed conversation with Dr. Christensen. He took in to account my science/health knowledge, and gave me very informative responses to any concerns I had. He was very warm and welcoming at all appointments. We would chat about various events occurring in my life which made me feel more comfortable talking to him as a provider... My IVF protocol involved the usage of 75 units Menopur and 225 units Bravelle. A few days prior to egg retrieval I also administered Ganirelex.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. ART is a challenging process with many intricate details. If you don't understand an aspect of your treatment, simply ask for clarification.
He was very welcome to discussion about treatments. He evaluated any questions I had about my treatment, and gave a meaningful and thoughtful response.
The nursing staff was very competent in performing necessary procedures, were warm and welcoming, and very thoroughly involved in my treatment. Everyone knew me by name, and were very supportive throughout the entire process.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
For the most part, I generally always saw my primary RE. However, due to scheduling conflicts I was also scheduled with the other two REs in the practice.
I don't recall specifics of my costs. My insurance covered reproductive treatments which helped considerably with cost.
He suggested either eSET or a max of two embryos transfer for me. We were given both the risks and benefits of doing both procedures.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr. Steffen Christensen] is an amazing doctor! My experience as a patient there have yet to get my desired results but we are not done yet! Look forward to working with them again in the near future! He was always very informative and understanding of feelings. I always enjoyed seeing him, great personality and humor to go with it! Very smart and always made myself and my husband feel good about what we are doing!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
He is an amazing doctor! My experience as a patient there have yet to get my desired results but we are not done yet! Look forward to working with them again in the near future! He was always very informative and understanding of feelings. I always enjoyed seeing him, great personality and humor to go with it! Very smart and always made myself and my husband feel good about what we are doing!
Listen to him!
He has amazing bedside manner, very informative, great personality, very informative and to the point.
We tried a few different types of medication.. Ending with the best dose of Femara 10mg for days, with a follow up trigger shot...Over our journey we have had 3 unsuccessful IUI treatments.
Always had amazing experience with the nursing staff. You eventually get to know them by name and they do the same for you! Never had 1 issue. Great team at that clinic!
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is absolutely amazing, from the office people, to the nursing staff, radiology staff...and to the Doctors. Their compassion for what they do shows in every aspect of everything they do!
The costs have been what I expected, my insurance does not cover any kind of treatment
Fargo
He [Dr. Steffen Christensen] is Friendly and knowledgeable and am very happy that I got twins on my first try. Just saw him in person once and over video conference twice. It was great since we live 4 hours away so it was great to do the video conference.... On day 2 I had an ultrasound then on day 3 of my period I started a drug called letrozole for 5 days. Then I had an ultrasound 2 weeks later then I took a shot of ovidrel and then I had an IUI and 2 weeks later I was pregnant from a home test then got it confirmed at a local clinic.
He is Friendly and knowledgeable and am very happy that I got twins on my first try. Just saw him in person once and over video conference twice. It was great since we live 4 hours away so it was great to do the video conference.
Understand what your insurance covers and does not cover is very helpful to know since you do get a lot of bills.
They were quick to setup my appointments and a nurse practitioner did the iui.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Very nice interior in the office. I wish I went to them first instead of going through the ob doctor in grand forks and doing all sort of tests to check on our fertility. They are the only clinic that handles reproductive health in North Dakota and being the only one they are still really good at getting you in.
$2500
2013 - 2018
PCOS, Unexplained
[Dr. Steffen Christensen is] Kind, compassionate. He didn't care that you may be a little above your bmi. He spends time with you. Fully explains processes. Makes you feel hope again which is extremely important during this difficult time in your life. He travels 3 hours to my town and doesn't make you feel like a burden.... Caring, compassionate. Exceptional people.
2013 - 2018
PCOS, Unexplained
Be open. Don't hold back with your questions and concerns.
Answered questions. Seems genuine
Caring, compassionate. Exceptional people.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Clean and inviting. They request that children not come to appointments out of respect to other patients. That says a lot to me about how much they care for their patients. They greet you with a smile. The one thing I don't like is the clinic is located next to a busier street so you have little privacy when walking into the building.
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Christensen always made me feel comfortable is what were very uncomfortable situations. He is kind, caring, and endearing. I always felt calm seeing him. He made sure we understood what was going on and what we could expect. He shared things with us in a very straight forward manner while still being compassionate. Dr. C. was also my parents doctor back in the day. They loved him then just as my husband and I adore him now.
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Relax. He will take care of you.
The staff knew my name and always seemed genuinely excited to see me.
I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff at Sanford Repro. Kind, caring, real, down-to-earth, funny, compassionate.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The only thing I would have liked to see done differently is a clearer guideline of when the different fees were due.
Fargo
Dr. Christensen was very friendly and honest. I had a very good experience with him(even though we did not end up pregnant)the only reason we had to stop our fertility treatments were due to the financial burden was all covered by us since insurance did not cover our care...The clinic [Sanford] is very clean and warm. I felt like they also tried to keep the environment "trigger free" as possible for ex. There was a sign saying not to bring children into the clinic which obviously is really nice for people who can't have any children.
Stay calm and let Dr. Christensen help.
I started on clomid and then had to take Ovidrel injections.
The nursing staff I had was always friendly and kind.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very clean and warm. I felt like they also tried to keep the environment "trigger free" as possible for ex. There was a sign saying not to bring children into the clinic which obviously is really nice for people who can't have any children.
Around $3,000.00 was spent trying to get pregnant.