Medical SchoolU. of Iowa
ResidencyBlodgett Mem
FellowshipU. of Illinois
1111 Harwood Drive South
Fargo, ND 58104
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Steffen Christensen to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sanford Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Every time we met with Dr. Christensen, he would spend the first few times chatting about our jobs (which he remembered exactly what we do), or spend time casually talking about how I was doing emotionally with the process. He genuinely cared that I stayed stress free (as much as possible) and relaxed, offered suggestions, or joked with my husband about taking me out to a nice dinner. He spent the extra time to care about my mental health throughout the entire process and not just the medical procedures.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Christensen's greatest strength is how personable he is. The whole infertility process was new for us, i.e. our first cycle/doctor/appointments. He took the time every appointment to thoroughly explain what was going to happen, what we should expect, what typical results would be, and how they would deal with atypical results. This was evident in the appointments up to and including the egg retrieval. Dr. Christensen did a walk through of how the egg retrieval day would go several appointments prior. Then a two days prior, he covered it again with specific attention to how my follicles were progressing, how long they anticipated the appointment to take, and how many eggs they hoped for. He has adjusted my medications to lower amounts to focus on egg quality versus quantity, and told us they hoped to retrieve 5-15 eggs. Day of retrieval, Dr. Christensen met with us before heading to the procedure room, made sure we were ready, asked about any more questions, and seemed just as happy for us to have made it to this day as we were. The procedure (before I fell asleep) was professional and scripted, and Dr. Christensen checked on me frequently. It was very reassuring as the nurses prepped the room. As soon as the procedure was over/I awoke, Dr. Christensen was there, big smile on his face to tell me they had retrieved 23 eggs. But, he also cautioned and took proactive measure to help prevent OHSS as he suspected based on the number I may struggle with it (I did, but not nearly as bad because of the extra care and proactive medications he prescribed). This was the level of care, attention, and investment Dr. Christensen showed throughout our treatment!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Do not be afraid to ask the blunt questions - he's okay to see you cry. He can handle dealing with hormonal/emotional type questions. Don't downplay if you are experiencing mood swings, he's very sensitive to how you react to various medications, and wants to minimize the unnecessary effects as much as possible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Steffen Christensen used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Our overall plan was to first try 3 or so rounds of IUI, and if they were unsuccessful, then to discuss further options. During the IUI cycles, Dr. Christensen chose to use Femara, as in his experience it had better results with PCOS patients. After 2 unsuccessful IUI cycles, Dr. Christensen was the first to suggest our efforts would be better spent exploring IVF than to continue with unsuccessful IUIs. He used how I reacted to the medications during the IUI to predict which IVF medications and dosages to use. He elected to use 150 units of Menopur and 150 units of Gonal F for the IVF cycle. Being I was growing more than 20 follicles, he lowered the Gonal F to 75 units mid cycle to lessen the number of follicles producing eggs. He explained over crowding can cause lower quality eggs, and quality was better than quantity. He prescribed Ganirelix to prevent ovulation, and a Lupron and HCG trigger. Results were 23 eggs retrieved. 18 mature. 14 fertilized through ICSI (due to male factor low mobility) and frozen. We elected to do PGS (our choice, no pressure from the clinic or Dr. Christensen), and 5 tested normal.
As you progress in the process, you only work with a handful of nurses (2-3), and each was just as caring and compassionate as the next. They took every concern with great care, and made sure to be prompt in answer any questions, or assisting with the process. Nearly every Dr. visit was followed up with written instructions from the nurse to ensure that you had all your instructions. They also set up majority of the appointments for you on your behalf based upon the Dr.'s timeline.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is family! Its a small clinic, and the number of nurses, doctors, and staff that you see is limited - so they know you. They are there with you along this journey. The clinic has all the supplementary support you need through the process. Nurses who help get in touch with the right mail-order pharmacies. Financial adviser who explains every charge and provides documentation before any of the process begins, as well as suggests programs to assist with the costs of infertility treatments. A genetic counselor who can discuss the pro/cons and results of PGS or PGD. They even can coordinate on site acupuncture services if you elect to do so. All the people you don't realize you need when you begin your infertility journey - they're all here conveniently waiting to help and guide you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
2018 Projected Costs (All provided up front to every patient prior to care) Trial Transfer - $566 Cycle Monitoring - $3921 Egg Aspiration with ICSI - $6622 Freezing of Embryos (up to 4) - $1995 Thaw & Transfer of Embryo - $4126 Post IVF Cycle - $442 Additional Embryo Freeze - $200 each PGS (14 embryos) - $3800
Describe Steffen Christensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
We elected to do a single transfer for a number of reasons. First, my age and health were big indicators to contribute to a healthy pregnancy, as well as no previous miscarriages. Second, the embryo physical grade and genetic results indicated high quality. Lastly, the trial transfer was very successful and no problems for actual transfer were anticipated. Dr. Christensen felt that a transfer of multiple would result in a multiples pregnancy. He was very concerned about the health of the pregnancy as well as the health of the mother, and urged us to transfer a single embryo. We agreed.
Sioux Falls

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.

Dr. Christensen was always patient to answer any questions I had, described why he was prescribing/planning they cycle and gave me all the details of what to expect. He is very personable, interested in more than just getting another patients. I had him for my consult as well at during many appointments.... Since I have a high AMH he started with lower does of the meds to avoid creating too many follicles, as that wasn't working he would adjust the doses and when they were given.
Dr. Christensen was always patient to answer any questions I had, described why he was prescribing/planning they cycle and gave me all the details of what to expect. He is very personable, interested in more than just getting another patients. I had him for my consult as well at during many appointments. He was very detailed in the consult, he took time to read over my chart, ask questions and create a plan for moving forward with more fertility treatments. I always left appointments after seeing him feeling confident in what we were doing as far as treatment.
Listen to what he has to say and don't be afraid to ask questions.
The doctor and staff always remembered who I was, what was currently going on for the cycle, and even small details like what I was going to be doing the previous weekend. They were very personable and made me feel like I was the only patient there.
We did timed intercourse and one IUI cycle with just femara initially. Once that didn't work we added in gonal-f and ovidrel. Since I have a high AMH he started with lower does of the meds to avoid creating too many follicles, as that wasn't working he would adjust the doses and when they were given.
The nursing staff was amazing. They were very quick to respond to any questions I had, updated me with a message through the online system promptly after test results came in, and always remember small details. They were not as forth coming about where to get cheaper medications and rather only directed me to one pharmacy that I learned later was much more expensive that I needed to be spending.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The doctors and nurses were amazing, very personable, willing to answer any questions, prompt in replying to questions or giving information mid cycle after monitoring appointments. The billing staff is a nightmare to work with. I have been going back and forth with them for about 9 months now. During one of my first appointments I was told they do not like to bill my insurance because they can be difficult to bill through their online billing system and if they don't pay it is their choice to bill or not to bill. I was confused by this but they have billed them with out any issue. The issue that keeps arising is that I have two insurances and when they bill my secondary that not attaching the EOB from my primary insurance so the secondary is denying the claim even though it is a covered benefit. If you use the clinic be sure to stay on top of the billing and don't hesitate to call to get ti sorted out. They are not your friend when it comes to billing and they will send a bill if your insurance denies a claim due to a filing error on their part. This has happened to me many times and I have resorted to speaking directly with a billing supervisor to sort it all out.
An IUI cycle was roughly $1,500 with monitoring (medication were extra). They actual procedure and sperm wash was about $550.

2012 - 2017
2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Steffen Christensen is very personable and makes you feel like he really cares about you. In 2012, I went through some treatments and they were unsuccessful. I know that he would adjust my treatments each month. It was very frustrating to continually have a negative test but Dr Christensen always keep it positive. We ended up pausing our treatments due to having insurance that didn't cover anything. One this that was very nice was that many time Dr C would give us free samples of some of the injectable medication. This was very helpful to us at the time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
He is an awesome Dr and very personable. This is a stressful time and he helps to put you at ease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
he is so personable. Even though we didn't have success in 2012, I recently just met with him to restart some treatments
Describe the protocols Steffen Christensen used in your cycles at Sanford Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I started out with clomid but my lining was thin so I was switched to another med but I cant remember the name. My lining was still thin so we started injectable medication. Follistum and did this for 3 months. Everything seemed to be good but I didn't get pregnancy so we did the follistum with an IUI for 3 months and still no pregnancy. We decided to take a break and ended up getting pregnant on our own. We will be starting with the injectable medication again as soon as I start my cycle. We will not be doing the IUI as he doesn't think I have a problem getting pregnant. Had a miscarriage a year ago. He thinks it a quality of egg issue. I'm not ready to do IVF.
the nursing staff was ok. I remember one of them telling me it was ok to drink at my sisters wedding that weekend when I had one of my IUI treatments. The last thing on my mind was to get drunk at my sisters wedding when all I was wanting was to have a baby. I could have done without that advice
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
very professional looking. makes you feel comfortable. they do ask that you not bring any children which is helpful for many
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
the main cost I remember was the injectable medications and the going to many ultrasounds per cycle. The IUI was also expensive and needed to be paid before the procedure
Describe Steffen Christensen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
none
Fargo

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Steffen Christensen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.

I felt like Dr [Steffan Christensen] seemed so busy each time I saw him and just was concerned about following procedure rather than treat as an individual. He would answer my questions if I had them. I felt like he was trying to push me into IVF without doing more investigating if there was something else going on that could be treated first... Dr seemed to treat me as if I were like every other patient rather than listen to my thoughts and concerns
I felt like Dr seemed so busy each time I saw him and just was concerned about following procedure rather than treat as an individual. He would answer my questions if I had them. I felt like he was trying to push me into IVF without doing more investigating if there was something else going on that could be treated first.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and push for what you think is right for YOU and not what the doctor wants that has worked for other patients.
I believe it was standard protocol. I believe he only performed 2 of my IUI's which seemed very routine for him. He performed my egg retrieval and I remember waking up from surgery and my first question was how many eggs did we retrieve and he didn't know and had to call up to a nurse...I was very suspicious about that!
I felt way better working with the nursing staff than the Doctors. The nurses were great!
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
This is a very busy clinic with 3 doctors. I didn't get the option to get to choose only one doctor, so each visit you would have a different Doctor. The doctors were very routine and didn't show much compassion. I had 4 unsuccessful IUI's and unsuccessful 1 IVF cycle. With 9 eggs retrieved only 2 made it. We did 1 fresh transfer and froze the other embryo. After the fresh transfer failed we decided to try a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo and unfortunately our embryo did not survive the thaw, which I was told before the whole IVF process that it is very rare and they don't have this happen much.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
These appointments were very quick and easy
My insurance did not cover any preocedures for infertility. They would still try billing my insurance and then I would get the bills weeks later and they were very confusing. I ended up calling the finance dept with questions often.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?

2009 - 2015
PCOS, Other
2009 - 2015
PCOS, Other
Dr. Christensen never rushed the appointments, he always made sure all of my questions were answered and that I fully understood everything. He's kind and sympathizes with you when you are having a hard day with everything. He always makes you feel like you are the priority.
Always ask questions! Never hesitate in calling or brining a list of questions. They are happy to answer all of them!
Dr. Christensen and his entire staff went above and beyond to make sure I received the best care. Whenever I called and had questions, his nurses were always so kind and took the time and patience answering any questions until I felt comfortable. They were always quick to return phone calls and get any test results back to me in a timely manner. I could go on and on about the wonderful treatment I received from everyone there.
My first round we used clomid and ovideral (trigger shot). I had awful side effects from clomid and the cycle failed. Dr. Christensen saw the side effects and he recommended we tried Femara next time first. The second round I started with Femara and the follicles didn't grow to optimal size so they put me on clomid and they grew but my uterine lining was thinned so they started me on estrace. I took the trigger shot and 2 weeks later I finally got a positive test! Dr. Christensen continued to monitor me until my 1st appointment with my OBGYN. At around 7 weeks I was required to go on progesterone and finished it at 12 weeks. I went on to give birth to a beautiful baby boy!
They always took the time to answer questions and never made me feel rushed. They always called back within in a timely manner as well.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Christensen] is very knowledgeable and makes sure you fully understand everything planned. He treats patients like individuals, not just a number or diagnosis. ... He took the time to sit down and talk about everything! He made sure we knew what was planned and understood everything. He is great and assured us we were taken care of and in the right place! ...
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
He is very knowledgeable and makes sure you fully understand everything planned. He treats patients like individuals, not just a number or diagnosis. We fully recommend him and the Fargo Reproductive Medicine clinic.
Don't be nervous, this is a good step to get answers and hopefully help you on your journey. He reminded us that everyones path is different and he really cares about all aspects of this, physically and emotionally.
Clomid to induce ovulation-didnt work well for us Femara to grow follicles-working so far! Ovidrel to trigger ovulation- He also makes sure you have monitoring done throughout your cycle to make sure everything is working correctly.
They are great! Very helpful, and get orders and prior authorization done to help take some of the stress off of you.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is a great welcoming and cozy place. All doctors work together to help patients when needed. The only thing you need to know when coming here is you are in great hands with Sanford Fargo Reproductive Medicine.
They do their best to code with diagnosis' that way insurance will cover medicines and procedures. They offer many payment options and plans available for IVF

2011 - 2017
Dr. Christensen has a kind of quirky personality. He tends to give you all the information, and yet is still able to be lighthearted with you...He was willing to discuss treatment with me at length, and answer all questions. His office also responded quickly to email questions... The only thing he ever did that bothered me was an offhand remark about having two kids in one bedroom when we were first trying for our second baby. But other than that, he was a really great guy.
2011 - 2017
Dr. Christensen has a kind of quirky personality. He tends to give you all the information, and yet is still able to be lighthearted with you. The only thing he ever did that bothered me was an offhand remark about having two kids in one bedroom when we were first trying for our second baby. But other than that, he was a really great guy.
With our first child we use Clomid and a trigger shot and was pregnant with the first cycle. With our second child we did Clomid for 3 months, my body didn't respond to it. So he switched me to Femara and the trigger shot. We got pregnant on our fourth cycle, which was the first with Femara. For third baby we tried Femara, my body didn't respond and so he gave me a second round of Femara within that cycle. My body ended up ovulating on its own, but having sensed that my husband and I were together and it resulted in a pregnancy.
They are knowledgeable, kind, and answered any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone working at the clinic had great empathy. They are kind, compassionate and excited for you when you do conceive. I was always very comfortable with everyone working there, from the front desk, to the ultrasound tech, to the nurses and the doctors.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr Christensen spends real quality time with his patients. He sees you after every ultrasound to go through the results and let’s you know any adjustments to your medications and care right away. He answers all questions thoroughly... I used Gonal-F, Menopur and Ganirelix throughout my IVF cycle. Doses were adjusted numerous times to try and help with the number of eggs being made
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Be expected to love your doctor! He is so kind, funny, and willing to do whatever he can to help you
Dr Christensen is very down to earth, kind, compassionate and does whatever he can to help get you pregnant
The nurses are super efficient! They are very compassionate and answer mychart messages almost instantly! They also help with medications if you are running short. I was donated samples during my cycle and it was so helpful
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths of the clinic are great, kind, compassionate staff. The response time with questions is amazing! The nurses are very knowledgeable and the IVF coordinator is super compassionate. Doses of medications are adjusted throughout the IVF cycle to help yield the most amount of eggs. The biggest weakness of the clinic is cost. An IVF cycle is very expensive and we found not afford to do a second retrieval
We paid $15,000 for one IVF cycle and another $5,000 for FET. The costs were high
Doctors will leave it up to the patient to transfer 1 or 2 embryos
Sioux Falls

I was able to have very detailed conversation with Dr. Christensen. He took in to account my science/health knowledge, and gave me very informative responses to any concerns I had. He was very warm and welcoming at all appointments. We would chat about various events occurring in my life which made me feel more comfortable talking to him as a provider... My IVF protocol involved the usage of 75 units Menopur and 225 units Bravelle. A few days prior to egg retrieval I also administered Ganirelex.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. ART is a challenging process with many intricate details. If you don't understand an aspect of your treatment, simply ask for clarification.
He was very welcome to discussion about treatments. He evaluated any questions I had about my treatment, and gave a meaningful and thoughtful response.
The nursing staff was very competent in performing necessary procedures, were warm and welcoming, and very thoroughly involved in my treatment. Everyone knew me by name, and were very supportive throughout the entire process.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
For the most part, I generally always saw my primary RE. However, due to scheduling conflicts I was also scheduled with the other two REs in the practice.
I don't recall specifics of my costs. My insurance covered reproductive treatments which helped considerably with cost.
He suggested either eSET or a max of two embryos transfer for me. We were given both the risks and benefits of doing both procedures.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr. Steffen Christensen] is an amazing doctor! My experience as a patient there have yet to get my desired results but we are not done yet! Look forward to working with them again in the near future! He was always very informative and understanding of feelings. I always enjoyed seeing him, great personality and humor to go with it! Very smart and always made myself and my husband feel good about what we are doing!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
He is an amazing doctor! My experience as a patient there have yet to get my desired results but we are not done yet! Look forward to working with them again in the near future! He was always very informative and understanding of feelings. I always enjoyed seeing him, great personality and humor to go with it! Very smart and always made myself and my husband feel good about what we are doing!
Listen to him!
He has amazing bedside manner, very informative, great personality, very informative and to the point.
We tried a few different types of medication.. Ending with the best dose of Femara 10mg for days, with a follow up trigger shot...Over our journey we have had 3 unsuccessful IUI treatments.
Always had amazing experience with the nursing staff. You eventually get to know them by name and they do the same for you! Never had 1 issue. Great team at that clinic!
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is absolutely amazing, from the office people, to the nursing staff, radiology staff...and to the Doctors. Their compassion for what they do shows in every aspect of everything they do!
The costs have been what I expected, my insurance does not cover any kind of treatment
Fargo

He [Dr. Steffen Christensen] is Friendly and knowledgeable and am very happy that I got twins on my first try. Just saw him in person once and over video conference twice. It was great since we live 4 hours away so it was great to do the video conference.... On day 2 I had an ultrasound then on day 3 of my period I started a drug called letrozole for 5 days. Then I had an ultrasound 2 weeks later then I took a shot of ovidrel and then I had an IUI and 2 weeks later I was pregnant from a home test then got it confirmed at a local clinic.
He is Friendly and knowledgeable and am very happy that I got twins on my first try. Just saw him in person once and over video conference twice. It was great since we live 4 hours away so it was great to do the video conference.
Understand what your insurance covers and does not cover is very helpful to know since you do get a lot of bills.
They were quick to setup my appointments and a nurse practitioner did the iui.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Very nice interior in the office. I wish I went to them first instead of going through the ob doctor in grand forks and doing all sort of tests to check on our fertility. They are the only clinic that handles reproductive health in North Dakota and being the only one they are still really good at getting you in.
$2500

2013 - 2018
PCOS, Unexplained
[Dr. Steffen Christensen is] Kind, compassionate. He didn't care that you may be a little above your bmi. He spends time with you. Fully explains processes. Makes you feel hope again which is extremely important during this difficult time in your life. He travels 3 hours to my town and doesn't make you feel like a burden.... Caring, compassionate. Exceptional people.
2013 - 2018
PCOS, Unexplained
Be open. Don't hold back with your questions and concerns.
Answered questions. Seems genuine
Caring, compassionate. Exceptional people.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Clean and inviting. They request that children not come to appointments out of respect to other patients. That says a lot to me about how much they care for their patients. They greet you with a smile. The one thing I don't like is the clinic is located next to a busier street so you have little privacy when walking into the building.
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Christensen always made me feel comfortable is what were very uncomfortable situations. He is kind, caring, and endearing. I always felt calm seeing him. He made sure we understood what was going on and what we could expect. He shared things with us in a very straight forward manner while still being compassionate. Dr. C. was also my parents doctor back in the day. They loved him then just as my husband and I adore him now.
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Relax. He will take care of you.
The staff knew my name and always seemed genuinely excited to see me.
I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff at Sanford Repro. Kind, caring, real, down-to-earth, funny, compassionate.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The only thing I would have liked to see done differently is a clearer guideline of when the different fees were due.
Fargo

Dr. Christensen was very friendly and honest. I had a very good experience with him(even though we did not end up pregnant)the only reason we had to stop our fertility treatments were due to the financial burden was all covered by us since insurance did not cover our care...The clinic [Sanford] is very clean and warm. I felt like they also tried to keep the environment "trigger free" as possible for ex. There was a sign saying not to bring children into the clinic which obviously is really nice for people who can't have any children.
Stay calm and let Dr. Christensen help.
I started on clomid and then had to take Ovidrel injections.
The nursing staff I had was always friendly and kind.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very clean and warm. I felt like they also tried to keep the environment "trigger free" as possible for ex. There was a sign saying not to bring children into the clinic which obviously is really nice for people who can't have any children.
Around $3,000.00 was spent trying to get pregnant.