Medical SchoolBrown
Westminster
844 Washington Rd
Westminster, MD 21157
410.512.8300
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Stephanie Beall to a friend?

5.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
2015 - 2019
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Beall adjusted my medicines throughout the process, as needed, based on my hormone levels...Given my age, my doctor recommended transferring two embryos. I was in agreement with her...bedside manner is very kind and gentle...She gives unbiased information, details, and facts, which I like, without pushing you to choose a specific path or process. I do wish she proactively offered up information or additional facts without being asked, as sometimes I don't know what I don't know (or don't know what to ask).
2015 - 2019
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Beall is very practical and candid with providing information, provided that you ask the appropriate questions. She doesn't often offer up additional information, but will answer all questions honestly. She gives unbiased information, details, and facts, which I like, without pushing you to choose a specific path or process. I do wish she proactively offered up information or additional facts without being asked, as sometimes I don't know what I don't know (or don't know what to ask).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be sure and have a list of questions and have done a little research on your own. Talk to others who have gone through this process. I've learned a lot of helpful tips or things to ask from other women who have used fertility doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Beall's bedside manner is very kind and gentle. But SGF overall feels like a factory. They are efficient with visits and check all the boxes, generally, but you do feel like just one of many patients most of the time.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Beall used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did two rounds of IVF with a sperm donor. Both treatments were very similar. I used birth control for three weeks before stopping and then starting daily injections. I injected menopur and follistum daily for approximately 10 days, and added in a daily injection of ganarillix for the last five days or so. I went into SGF for an ultrasound and bloodwork every other day until about day 7 or 8, and then went daily. My hormone levels responded well to the hormones, and the tests all went well. Dr. Beall adjusted my medicines throughout the process, as needed, based on my hormone levels. The final trigger shot, given 36 hours before egg retrieval, was pregnyl. Egg retrieval went smoothly, with no adverse reactions to the anesthetic. The first round of IVF, I did PGS testing on the two embryos that reached blastysis, and both were found to be abnormal and were not transfered. The second round of IVF, I chose not to do PGS testing and did a fresh transfer of the two embryos that reached blastysis. In preparation for that transfer, I took a daily pill and used suppositories three times a day for progesterone and estrogen (estrace and estridol I think were the names). I stopped all medicines two weeks after the transfer, when my blood test was negative for pregnancy. Currently, I am looking into using an embryo donor or egg donor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Casey McNeeley)
Casey was very responsive to messages I left, and patiently answered any and all questions I had. She was quick to find out information from Dr. Beall, if needed, and also helped facilitate communication with the financial coordinator at SGF. She's been wonderful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF is very well-known in this area and has a good success rate. I have multiple friends and acquaintances who have used them for fertility treatments. That is why I chose to go with them. However, you do feel like another number at times. The staff has all been very friendly and personable! But it's a factory and you do feel like women and couples are constantly in and out.
They were easy. I was in early and didn't have to wait long. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid for a multi-cycle IVF program, which gave a small discount for paying for two IVF cycles at once. That cost $23,500 including the PGS testing I elected to do ($18,500 without PGS). In addition, medications were approximately $4,500 per IVF round, or $9,000 total. And the sperm donor cost about $2,000 total (two vials). In addition, I had to pay for a therapist consultation ($300, insurance partially covered and I think my cost was $125) and a few other bloodwork and ultrasound tests that insurance generally covered. I also elected to do acupuncture during this whole process, and that was $45 per visit (found the practitioner on my own and not through SGF). Overall, the cost of two IVF rounds cost me about $37,000 out of pocket. I am not pursuing donor embryo or donor egg for my next step.
Describe Stephanie Beall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
No. Given my age, my doctor recommended transferring two embryos. I was in agreement with her.
Columbia

Dr. Beall was our second RE and even further down the line of doctors and OBGYNs who had done testing, etc. prior to us committing to IVF -- yet she was the first to use specifics, including success rates, to determine a plan of care that felt appropriate and thoughtful. Although we were not successful on our two attempts to conceive with IVF, I would return to her for another round.... While Dr. Beall would refer to some diagnostic software to give specifics
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared to receive a straightforward plan for care, delivered efficiently (but not particularly warmly).
While Dr. Beall would refer to some diagnostic software to give specifics, she would also use a paper and pen to sketch out exactly what was going to happen, when, and how. She allowed as much time as needed for questions and clarification so that we always left an appointment fully understanding the plan going forward.
Standard protocol, IVF with ICSI. The first retrieval eggs only fertilized with rescue ICSI. The second retrieval we implemented ICSI right away and 7/15 fertilized (only 1 survived to transfer). The trigger shot taken prior to each of my retrievals caused a migraine.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tina Yingling)
The staff at Shady Grove could be friendly to a fault (even creepily so on occasion). Although they were generally competent, the bureaucracy was sometimes exhausting.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was clean and bright. I appreciated the notices that discouraged patients from bringing other children to appointments for sensitivity reasons. I did not enjoy the creepy, over bearing sentiments to "think positive" and "stay hopeful."
Dr. Beall recommended a single embryo transfer and indicated that transferring multiple embryos does not increase the chance for a successful pregnancy, only increases chance of multiples.
Towson

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility.

We started with IUI [with Dr. Stephanie Beall] and with the first try had a chemical pregnancy. We tried 2 more IUI cycles before we met with Dr Beall again. When we met with Dr Beall, she suggested we move forward with treatment and try IVF as that had a more impressive success rate. We did our first round of IVF and my hormone levels were too high to do a fresh transfer. It was recommended that I do a frozen transfer so that is what we did.
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Beall is as sweet as pie. She was recommended to me by my cousin. She is very knowledgeable and does not give false hope. She meets with me to discuss any issues I am having or concerns. She will personally call me if I ask to speak with her. She is compassionate and caring.
Ask questions. Dr Beall will answer any questions that you have and make you feel more at ease
Dr Beall knew that I was a nurse. During our transfer she asked if I had to go back to work and recommended I took a couple of days off because she knew I had a busy career and would be on my feet a lot. She talks to me as an equal.
I have unexplained infertility. Both my husband and I tested fine for everything. We started with IUI and with the first try had a chemical pregnancy. We tried 2 more IUI cycles before we met with Dr Beall again. When we met with Dr Beall, she suggested we move forward with treatment and try IVF as that had a more impressive success rate. We did our first round of IVF and my hormone levels were too high to do a fresh transfer. It was recommended that I do a frozen transfer so that is what we did. We transferred 2 frozen embryos after being educated about the risks of having twins. Unfortunately we had another chemical pregnancy with this round of IVF. We have a follow up appointment to discuss what comes next for us in May.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Lavy)
All the staff at SGF Columbia has been amazing. They are compassionate and organized. Even the front desk staff is excellent
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My clinic is always clean and usually easy to get appointments.
The monitoring appointments are always easy to find a time slot. The people who do the ultrasounds and blood work are always friendly and timely.
My insurance has covered a majority of our care. We paid for our thaw fee of $600 for our FET and we paid a $3,000 insurance deductible. We paid for all of our meds out of pocket due to insurance not covering those
Our clinic educates about the risks of having multiples. I was told they would not transfer more than 2 embryos into me which I was fine with.
Columbia

She [Dr. Stephanie Beall] is very competent and a good communicator. She gives very realistic expectations. She listened and was good about understanding what you wanted from the treatment. I never felt pressured to take any particular course of action, but she gave a clear understanding of the potential for success with each....She was always very attentive, clear, and friendly....It's [Shady Grove Fertility - Townson] very much cookie cutter, corporate medicine, but they know what they are doing and have a lot at stake in their stats being high.
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is very competent and a good communicator. She gives very realistic expectations. She listened and was good about understanding what you wanted from the treatment. I never felt pressured to take any particular course of action, but she gave a clear understanding of the potential for success with each.
Avoid the two other doctors in the practice.
She was always very attentive, clear, and friendly. Nursing staff were always friendly and competent.
Sorry, can't remember specific meds and dosages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I went through a couple of primary nurses. Everyone was good at the clinic but they sometimes had communication problems with each other. I felt like I was always double checking with someone to make sure I had my protocol right.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It's very much cookie cutter, corporate medicine, but they know what they are doing and have a lot at stake in their stats being high. It reminded me of the Marriot or Holiday Inn.
about $1200 for IUI cycle. I did a 2 for one package for the IVF and qualified for a very good discount; ended up around $13000 for the package. Since I got pregnant on first retrieval I ended up subsidizing someone else a bit, but that's ok. They are not cheap, but not the most expensive out there either and are good about offering discounts based on salary and medicine programs etc.
I felt a bit pushed to transfer two embryos. As it turned out I did end up with a multiple pregnancy, which I really did not want. I had the sense that after a certain age, they preferred to do 2 in a transfer to up their stats, but I know that after 37 this is pretty common.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
The doctor herself came out to get me and introduced herself and looked very happy to see me.. She took her time to listen to my history and understand why IVF was our option to go and acheive our dreams...She started me off with basic blood work and testing such as my hysterosalpingography and testing all my levels.. No drugs were giving as we are still in the process of IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was a very heartwarming doctor. She looked you in your eyes while talking and gave you the attention that you needed. She makes sure she does what she has to do to help you accomolish what you came there for.
Please be honest with her.. She has your best intrest at heart
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elaine kochys)
Nurse elaine made sure that i ubderstood all paper work that was being given to me and msde sure i knew what i had to do to progress to the next step.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They were a well organized clinic who has an open availability of appointments with different doctors and they make sure any paper work that has to be completed is done. They also have a different department for each process of the IVF which makes it easier to understand whats going on.
Because of my insurance i had a hefty bill to pay from all the testing that needed to be done.
Yes.. She has recommendations based on age and test results and she explained the risk for each number transfered.
Towson

Nice. Knowledgeable. I dealt with my nurse and the staff more than her [Dr. Beall]...I didn't have a fertility problem. I was just using donor sperm. After 4 unsuccessful natural cycles, she switched me to a medicated cycle with clomid. I got pregnant on the second medicated cycle...She's perfectly nice, I just didn't develop a relationship with her. I saw her outside the office and said hi. She didn't recognize me after being her patient for 7 months.....She's a good doctor to see. Another doctor did most of my IUI procedures, so choosing a clinic is more important than choosing a specific doctor....
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Nice. Knowledgeable. I dealt with my nurse and the staff more than her. She's perfectly nice, I just didn't develop a relationship with her. I saw her outside the office and said hi. She didn't recognize me after being her patient for 7 months.
Treatments were routine, not very personalized
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim Blackwell)
They were nice. I didn't develop any relationships with them during treatment.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I usually had to have procedures on the weekends and it was a nightmare scheduling those because the after-hours call people would not forward my calls. This happened at least 4 times where I had to make frantic calls to get next day procedure appointments.
One medicated IUI cycle without insurance was $1600. As of March 2017, it's $1800. The injection shot was $100. I can't remember how much clomid was.

3 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
As a patient I felt protected under her care. I felt that she [Dr. Stephanie Beall] had our best interest at heart. She was patient and kind. She made sure every question we had had a response. she was overall great. She made sure we left every appointment with a clear understanding of every step in the process...My protocol included Gonal F, Menepur, Progesterone and a trigger shot
3 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
As a patient I felt protected under her care. I felt that she had our best interest at heart. She was patient and kind. She made sure every question we had had a response. she was overall great. She unfortunately spent a lot of time apologizing for the mistakes that a shady grove fertility location had when it comes to my care. She made sure we left every appointment with a clear understanding of every step in the process
No advice. She's a great doctor
Compared to my previous Dr. with Shady Grove Fertility who did not treat my wife and myself fairly. Dr. Beall was an angel.. In her care we felt like she had our best interest at heart
My protocol included Gonal F, Menepur, Progesterone and a trigger shot
Shes an amazing communicator. She responds to voicemails and emails in a timely matter. If she doesn't know the answer to any concern you have she will find out.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strength is the location. Both the Towson and Harbor Locations are within 10 minutes of my home. Weakness: is at the Harbor location while under the care of Dr. McClamrock we experienced discrimination from the receptionist/financial rep. We had appointment errors because the financial rep wasn't comfortable with us being a same sex couple. At the Harbor location our previous Dr., Dr. McClamrock wasn't interpersonal he was rude. He blamed me for my eggs dying in a cycle. If I would refer Shady Grove Fertility to anyone I would say go to the Columbia MD or The Rockville locations
My cost was covered under my insurance. I paid for donor sperm which was $600 each we purchased 3. I also paid for medication first cycle it was a few thousand 2nd and 3rd cycle it was covered
Baltimore