7.2

844 Washington Rd
Westminster, MD 21157
410.512.8300

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Beall adjusted my medicines throughout the process, as needed, based on my hormone levels...Given my age, my doctor recommended transferring two embryos. I was in agreement with her...bedside manner is very kind and gentle...She gives unbiased information, details, and facts, which I like, without pushing you to choose a specific path or process. I do wish she proactively offered up information or additional facts without being asked, as sometimes I don't know what I don't know (or don't know what to ask).
My doctor decided to do a fresh transfer of my own embryos on Day 6 instead of Day 5. She told me the staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] (working the weekend, so not the normal staff) would call with a time to be at the clinic on Monday morning. I never received a call. So I had to talk to my doctor on Monday morning and she told me to just go in and they would be ready. However, I waited all day Sunday for a call to update me on the time to go in for my transfer - and no one ever called. That was frustrating, as I tried to reach someone Sunday afternoon and evening and was told that someone would call (they just never did).
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Beall is very practical and candid with providing information, provided that you ask the appropriate questions. She doesn't often offer up additional information, but will answer all questions honestly. She gives unbiased information, details, and facts, which I like, without pushing you to choose a specific path or process. I do wish she proactively offered up information or additional facts without being asked, as sometimes I don't know what I don't know (or don't know what to ask).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be sure and have a list of questions and have done a little research on your own. Talk to others who have gone through this process. I've learned a lot of helpful tips or things to ask from other women who have used fertility doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Beall's bedside manner is very kind and gentle. But SGF overall feels like a factory. They are efficient with visits and check all the boxes, generally, but you do feel like just one of many patients most of the time.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Beall used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did two rounds of IVF with a sperm donor. Both treatments were very similar. I used birth control for three weeks before stopping and then starting daily injections. I injected menopur and follistum daily for approximately 10 days, and added in a daily injection of ganarillix for the last five days or so. I went into SGF for an ultrasound and bloodwork every other day until about day 7 or 8, and then went daily. My hormone levels responded well to the hormones, and the tests all went well. Dr. Beall adjusted my medicines throughout the process, as needed, based on my hormone levels. The final trigger shot, given 36 hours before egg retrieval, was pregnyl. Egg retrieval went smoothly, with no adverse reactions to the anesthetic. The first round of IVF, I did PGS testing on the two embryos that reached blastysis, and both were found to be abnormal and were not transfered. The second round of IVF, I chose not to do PGS testing and did a fresh transfer of the two embryos that reached blastysis. In preparation for that transfer, I took a daily pill and used suppositories three times a day for progesterone and estrogen (estrace and estridol I think were the names). I stopped all medicines two weeks after the transfer, when my blood test was negative for pregnancy. Currently, I am looking into using an embryo donor or egg donor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Casey McNeeley)
Casey was very responsive to messages I left, and patiently answered any and all questions I had. She was quick to find out information from Dr. Beall, if needed, and also helped facilitate communication with the financial coordinator at SGF. She's been wonderful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF is very well-known in this area and has a good success rate. I have multiple friends and acquaintances who have used them for fertility treatments. That is why I chose to go with them. However, you do feel like another number at times. The staff has all been very friendly and personable! But it's a factory and you do feel like women and couples are constantly in and out.
They were easy. I was in early and didn't have to wait long. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid for a multi-cycle IVF program, which gave a small discount for paying for two IVF cycles at once. That cost $23,500 including the PGS testing I elected to do ($18,500 without PGS). In addition, medications were approximately $4,500 per IVF round, or $9,000 total. And the sperm donor cost about $2,000 total (two vials). In addition, I had to pay for a therapist consultation ($300, insurance partially covered and I think my cost was $125) and a few other bloodwork and ultrasound tests that insurance generally covered. I also elected to do acupuncture during this whole process, and that was $45 per visit (found the practitioner on my own and not through SGF). Overall, the cost of two IVF rounds cost me about $37,000 out of pocket. I am not pursuing donor embryo or donor egg for my next step.
Describe Stephanie Beall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
No. Given my age, my doctor recommended transferring two embryos. I was in agreement with her.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My doctor decided to do a fresh transfer of my own embryos on Day 6 instead of Day 5. She told me the staff (working the weekend, so not the normal staff) would call with a time to be at the clinic on Monday morning. I never received a call. So I had to talk to my doctor on Monday morning and she told me to just go in and they would be ready. However, I waited all day Sunday for a call to update me on the time to go in for my transfer - and no one ever called. That was frustrating, as I tried to reach someone Sunday afternoon and evening and was told that someone would call (they just never did).
Columbia

Nice. Knowledgeable. I dealt with my nurse and the staff more than her [Dr. Beall]...I didn't have a fertility problem. I was just using donor sperm. After 4 unsuccessful natural cycles, she switched me to a medicated cycle with clomid. I got pregnant on the second medicated cycle...She's perfectly nice, I just didn't develop a relationship with her. I saw her outside the office and said hi. She didn't recognize me after being her patient for 7 months.....She's a good doctor to see. Another doctor did most of my IUI procedures, so choosing a clinic is more important than choosing a specific doctor....
They [the nurses] were nice. I didn't develop any relationships with them during treatment...I usually had to have procedures on the weekends and it was a nightmare scheduling those because the after-hours call people would not forward my calls. This happened at least 4 times where I had to make frantic calls to get next day procedure appointments....explained before that it was difficult to schedule IUI's on the weekends. It was often an hour or two before my ovulation timing before I heard that I could come in for an appointment.
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Nice. Knowledgeable. I dealt with my nurse and the staff more than her. She's perfectly nice, I just didn't develop a relationship with her. I saw her outside the office and said hi. She didn't recognize me after being her patient for 7 months.
Treatments were routine, not very personalized
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim Blackwell)
They were nice. I didn't develop any relationships with them during treatment.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
One medicated IUI cycle without insurance was $1600. As of March 2017, it's $1800. The injection shot was $100. I can't remember how much clomid was.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I explained before that it was difficult to schedule IUI's on the weekends. It was often an hour or two before my ovulation timing before I heard that I could come in for an appointment.
Columbia