Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
Hoboken, NJ 07030
(973) 322–8286
116 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07030
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Stephanie Thompson to a friend?

4.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas to a friend?
2019 - 2020
If you’re okay with just going along and not having much communication, [Dr. Stephanie Thompson will] be a fine choice. You have to advocate for yourself and ask questions. She’s not going to take the initiative, you have to...While in the office with her she was kind and sympathetic but we only saw her maybe 3 times over the course of 9 months...We once had the first appointment of the day and she walked into the clinic 45 minutes after our appointment started...When speaking after a failed transfer the Dr clearly hadn’t even reviewed my chart— suggesting we do a fresh transfer when the whole reason we were there was because we needed to do PGS testing and thus, a frozen cycle
I don’t know that we were given any rationale, just instructions [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas]. We did Gonal-F, Ganirelix, and Menopur leading up...I went to the pharmacy to pick these up and there were two other prescriptions waiting — more doxycline and medrol. Not once had anyone noted to me that these would be part of the protocol. I had to call to ask what they were for...There was no education other than some videos they sent and it was tough to reach anyone to ask questions. They don’t assign you a specific nurse so no one really knows you or your case.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
She was kind when we actually interacted with her, but we barely interacted with her. We were a ‘textbook case’ so I think she just gave very standard treatment. It didn’t work and she didn’t note any suggestions she’d change for the next time. Our appointments were always less than 20 minutes and while my Questions were usually always answered, I just didn’t feel confident and happy leaving the appointments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
If you’re okay with just going along and not having much communication, she’ll be a fine choice. You have to advocate for yourself and ask questions. She’s not going to take the initiative, you have to.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
While in the office with her she was kind and sympathetic but we only saw her maybe 3 times over the course of 9 months. They wouldn’t allow phone conversations unless she initiated it, even just to ask questions about change in treatment, they were pushing for an appointment. We once had the first appointment of the day and she walked into the clinic 45 minutes after our appointment started. I wasn’t assigned one particular nurse, and while many (but not all— more on that later) were very kind, no one knew who I was. When speaking after a failed transfer the Dr clearly hadn’t even reviewed my chart— suggesting we do a fresh transfer when the whole reason we were there was because we needed to do PGS testing and thus, a frozen cycle. Even when I went for morning monitoring, many days a week for weeks in a row, no one bothered to remember my name or smile and say hi. The ultrasound techs could’ve been working on a cadaver, they barely even acknowledged me.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Thompson used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
I don’t know that we were given any rationale, just instructions. We did Gonal-F, Ganirelix, and Menopur leading up. It was lower dosage as I had a high-ish AMH. My husband was on doxycycline before retrieval and I was on it after. Before transfer I was on estrace for many days, and then PIO injections for a few weeks before and after transfer. I went to the pharmacy to pick these up and there were two other prescriptions waiting — more doxycline and medrol. Not once had anyone noted to me that these would be part of the protocol. I had to call to ask what they were for.
The main nurse in the Hoboken Office (Kim) is not kind. Anytime I asked her a question she acted as though I was an idiot or it was annoying. There was no education other than some videos they sent and it was tough to reach anyone to ask questions. They don’t assign you a specific nurse so no one really knows you or your case. Paulina was kinder and more helpful, though hard to get a hold of at times. The on call nurses (Jen, Jen, and Aly) and the OR nurse Kathy that I spoke to were GREAT! They were the most pleasant part of this clinic. There’s just very little information or education given.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
It’s dirty and just feels run down. The experience of going for morning monitoring is awful. The ultrasound staff honestly don’t act like you’re a human, give you no info about what’s happening, and barely mumble hello when they walk in. The Hoboken office is gross. The front desk staff is very kind and helpful, at least. Going to Livingston is a pain and they’re the only spot open on weekends and it’s always PACKED. The surgery center is fine, but also very run down. Nothing about it gave me a great feeling. I did outside monitoring while with family a few times and felt much more comfortable at that clinic than I did at my own.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
THE WORST. Everyone’s just cranky and rude and it doesn’t seem organized. My absolute least favorite part of this experience. The monitoring staff in Hoboken and Jersey City both were just cold and unpleasant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Insurance luckily covered most of my care.
Describe Stephanie Thompson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Stephanie Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] was kind and sympathetic, but her treatment was her standard treatment he gave to everyone of her other patients...She never thought of the latest research, or anyhing tailored to my ethnicity/background...was the only doctor in the Hoboken location, she saw dozens of patients but also had limited hours. She sticks to standard procedures (for me it was 3 different paths I could take), you barely get a chance to speak to her, its always through her nurse or someone else at the practice. I felt like a number, someone spending all their lifetime max on useless treatment that didn't get us very far.
[Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] was full on weekday mornings, the earlier you get there, the sooner you can be seen. On weekends you have to go to their Livingston location, and that could take up to 3 hours to be monitored. It's pretty bad either way..They need to start to tailor their protocol per patient a bit more, and let the patient see the doctor more often or be able to talk to them. They are definitely maximizing their profit with the least amount of work. They don't understand patient don't have all the money in the world to spend. Because of this clinic, we ended up using all of our lifetime max.
Dr. Thompson was the only doctor in the Hoboken location, she saw dozens of patients but also had limited hours. She sticks to standard procedures (for me it was 3 different paths I could take), you barely get a chance to speak to her, its always through her nurse or someone else at the practice. I felt like a number, someone spending all their lifetime max on useless treatment that didn't get us very far. Her explanation was diminished ovarian reserve, blocked tube, and male infertility factor. She never thought of the latest research, or anyhing tailored to my ethnicity/background.
If you really would like to try her out, and can afford it, do no more than one round with her. I would recommend going to one of the other locations, but even there, you are a number.
She was kind and sympathetic, but her treatment was her standard treatment he gave to everyone of her other patients.
we started with antagonist I believe. The second time it was the opposite, but with priming (birth control pills).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim Neilley)
The main nurse was rude, I understand she does this everyday. As a patient spending a lot of money, worrying about your own body, and if you can even have a child in the future- she doesn't have patience to explain anything. I have e-mails to her panicking when I first received all my medication - I was overwhelmed, she never went through a training. All the information given to us was outdated. I don't expect coddling, but I do expect education. Patients are not medical experts, and I highly doubt medical experts want their patients to resort to googling how to inject. The rest of the staff (with the exception of the women who drew blood and were at the front desk) were extremely cold and rude. They just wanted to do the next ultrasound and go home and "keep the line moving". The nurse had us throw away expensive medication before our second round (which costs $6k) because the insurance will always cover it. We blew through our lifetime max because of stuff like this.
They have too few doctors for the number of patients in hoboken, they need a kinder nursing staff, and they need to update their standard of care towards their protocols. They need to start to tailor their protocol per patient a bit more, and let the patient see the doctor more often or be able to talk to them. They are definitely maximizing their profit with the least amount of work. They don't understand patient don't have all the money in the world to spend. Because of this clinic, we ended up using all of our lifetime max.
It was full on weekday mornings, the earlier you get there, the sooner you can be seen. On weekends you have to go to their Livingston location, and that could take up to 3 hours to be monitored. It's pretty bad either way.
n/a, we didn't do embryo transfer with her.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
I like a lot of explanation, and I have had to push to get my questions answered [by Dr. Stephanie Thompson]...answers questions completely, you just have to get the appointment to ask her...My cycles have been Clomid and a converted-to-natural because a cyst formed from the Clomid. There is no plan to change from Clomid for my current cycle, despite the cyst. Both completed IUIs resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr Thompson’s recommendation has been to go directly to IVF since the beginning, but my insurance requires three IUI cycles to cover IVF.
Kim [nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] often appeared irritated by my questions on the phone. I got the impression that she had too much on her plate...Infertility is difficult and unpredictable, and IRMS did not specifically make that easier for me...The Hoboken office shares space with an OB-GYN, so you will likely be in the waiting room with infants. On the weekends you will need to travel to Livingston for treatment, which can be inconvenient. The patient portal is useful, but the billing section is very confusing, and I had to make a request to be emailed invoices before paying a bill. Otherwise the staff is very responsive to calls and emails.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
I like a lot of explanation, and I have had to push to get my questions answered. I would recommend requesting a consultation appointment after each (failed) cycle, because the clinic does not automatically schedule them. Dr. Thompson answers questions completely, you just have to get the appointment to ask her.
Keep track of your treatment plan yourself and be sure to advocate for yourself.
This clinic has a lot of patients, and you need to keep careful track of what your individual treatment plan is, as you may have to remind them about things you have discussed with the doctor.
Kim often appeared irritated by my questions on the phone. I got the impression that she had too much on her plate.
My insurance covered most of it. Ovidrel injections were about $200 each.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Thompson allowed me to be actively involved in the process,listened to my concerns and addressed all of my needs...it is a stressful time and she gets that. She tries to make the process as smooth as possible and is quick to adjust when necessary. In my particular situation, I was heavily involved in the course of treatment and needed to understand every single step-- she respected that and allowed me to feel comfortable enough to ask every question I had.
Strengths [at IRMS at Saint Barnabas]- close proximity to NYC and easy to get to on public transportation, early morning monitoring hours, great neighborhood, staff is welcoming, organized and professional, short wait times. Weaknesses- its a satellite office so not guaranteed to have all visits/procedures done there. There were times when we had to travel from NYC to Livingston office just for monitoring...My nurse Kim was organized, however wasn't the most approachable or compassionate. Answers to questions were kept short and communications were dry. Had to interact with her either at appointments or via patient portal- so not able to avoid. The IRMS staff was excellent. All of the women there were courteous, professional and attentive.
Dr. Thompson is an amazing doctor. She is compassionate, intelligent, and a great communicator. She listens to her patients, is always well prepared, and has compassion for her patients. It is a stressful time and she gets that. She tries to make the process as smooth as possible and is quick to adjust when necessary. In my particular situation, I was heavily involved in the course of treatment and needed to understand every single step-- she respected that and allowed me to feel comfortable enough to ask every question I had.
Understand that this is a process and results are not guaranteed. You will not see Dr. Thompson every visit and you have to be willing to trust the other staff members and Dr. Thompson's judgment. If something doesn't make sense to you- speak up.
The IRMS staff always greeted me by name. Dr. Thompson and the other attending doctors always greeted me by name and knew my history. Phone calls were always timely returned and information was easily shared. Dr. Thompson allowed me to be actively involved in the process,listened to my concerns and addressed all of my needs.
1st cycle used Clomid (50 mg) w/ Ovidrel (250 mcg injection ) caused visual disturbances- not pregnant 2nd cycle used Femara/Letrazol (2.5mg 2x day for 5 days) w/ Ovidrel (250 mcg injection )- not pregnant 3rd cycle used Femara/Letrazol (2.5mg 2x day for 5 days) w/Ovidrel (250 mcg injection) - pregnant
Strengths- close proximity to NYC and easy to get to on public transportation, early morning monitoring hours, great neighborhood, staff is welcoming, organized and professional, short wait times. Weaknesses- its a satellite office so not guaranteed to have all visits/procedures done there. There were times when we had to travel from NYC to Livingston office just for monitoring.
$50 copay per monitoring visit. Ovidrel was $120 out of pocket or $100 deductible then $40 thereafter Clomid $18 per fill (Not covered by insurance) Letrazol $8 per fill (Covered by insurance)

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson suggested that she will most likely prescribe Letrozole with a ovulation trigger shot. I have one child that I had naturally, so I am assuming that is why she didn't jump into suggesting IUI or IVF right away. I appreciate that!...really took her time getting to know myself and my husband. She answered all of our questions and we did not feel rushed...She thoroughly explained what she was doing/testing every step of the way. I am still in the diagnosis stage of my treatment, but I feel ask though Dr. Thompson has the right plan for me. I told her that I may have PCOS but she wanted me to get tested for it just to be sure since I wasn't positive. She did not push the most expensive treatment on me. I appreciate her honesty and the time that she spent with myself and my husband during our consultation.
Kim [nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] was very organized. She knew her stuff, and was great at explaining the steps that we had to take. I feel that she could be more compassionate...The clinic appeared to be very clean and organized. The exam room was very clean and the temperature was just right. The bathrooms are clean as well. The front desk was efficient. Not overly nice, but they were pleasant enough.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson has excellent bedside manner. She thoroughly explained what she was doing/testing every step of the way. I am still in the diagnosis stage of my treatment, but I feel ask though Dr. Thompson has the right plan for me. I told her that I may have PCOS but she wanted me to get tested for it just to be sure since I wasn't positive. She did not push the most expensive treatment on me. I appreciate her honesty and the time that she spent with myself and my husband during our consultation.
She seems like a very compassionate Dr. Just make sure that you come prepared with your entire health history and background so that she can make the right course of treatment for you.
Dr. Thompson really took her time getting to know myself and my husband. She answered all of our questions and we did not feel rushed.
I have not been prescribed any drugs yet, but Dr. Thompson suggested that she will most likely prescribe Letrozole with a ovulation trigger shot. I have one child that I had naturally, so I am assuming that is why she didn't jump into suggesting IUI or IVF right away. I appreciate that!
Kim was very organized. She knew her stuff, and was great at explaining the steps that we had to take. I feel that she could be more compassionate.
So far I only had to pay for my first consultation and pelvic ultrasound. It was just over $300. My bloodwork was covered 100% by my insurance.
This is N/A to me.

2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Thompson is compassionate and has a great bedside manner. She was a wonderful advocate in dealing with my insurance company to cover treatments. All of the pros and cons of our procedures were given to us in a way we could easily digest. We have not conceived as of yet but will certainly stick with Dr. Thompson...Dr. Thompson decided against a fresh transfer because I was at high risk of OHSS due to the number of follicles retrieved. We ultimately had a frozen transfer cycle with the one embryo which resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Monitoring appointments [at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] are early from 630am-8am. Weekday monitoring is swift. Weekends take a bit longer because there is only one clinic used for all of the patients...All of the doctors in the practice are women. I've had encounters with all the doctors on staff and each one has an impeccable bedside manner. The nursing staff is friendly and I've formed great relationships with many of them. Weekend monitoring is crowded and takes some time so be prepared to wait a little.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Thompson is compassionate and has a great bedside manner. She was a wonderful advocate in dealing with my insurance company to cover treatments. All of the pros and cons of our procedures were given to us in a way we could easily digest. We have not conceived as of yet but will certainly stick with Dr. Thompson and the IRMS staff.
Ask any and all questions that come to mind. I would encourage you to make a list. I would also add, be patient with the process.
Dr. Thompson gave a personal touch to her treatment plan.
First IVF cycle: Dr. Thompson used 300uI Gonal-F/150uI Menopur (Trigger 5000 HCG). The rationale used for this dosage was due to me only having one ovary. 19 eggs were retrieved of which only one was mature. The mature egg was fertilized using ICSI. Dr. Thompson decided against a fresh transfer because I was at high risk of OHSS due to the number of follicles retrieved. We ultimately had a frozen transfer cycle with the one embryo which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Second IVF cycle: 225 Gonal-F/75 Menopur (Trigger 10000 HCG). Stimmed additional 2 days to increase the number of mature eggs retrieved. 11 eggs retrieved, 2 mature fertilized with ICSI. NGS testing on Day 5 embryos resulted in one genetically sound embryo for transfer. Frozen transfer cycle resulted in negative pregnancy test.
Kim is thorough and always great with communicating next steps.
IRMS is a wonderful practice to receive care. All of the doctors in the practice are women. I've had encounters with all the doctors on staff and each one has an impeccable bedside manner. The nursing staff is friendly and I've formed great relationships with many of them. Weekend monitoring is crowded and takes some time so be prepared to wait a little.
Monitoring appointments are early from 630am-8am. Weekday monitoring is swift. Weekends take a bit longer because there is only one clinic used for all of the patients.
Most of my care was covered by insurance with the exception of ICSI and genetic testing. Those items were out of pocket. The costs associated with each are listed on their website.
i only had one embryo available each cycle so I do not have experience with her approach on multiple embryo transfer.
Clark

3 IUI, 9 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Most of the nurses [at IRMS] and even the lab technicians were great, but the Hoboken main nurse was often cold and often seemed annoyed. However, they are doing what the doctor tells them to do and although she was not pleasant, I care much more about my doctor, so the nurses personality was really not much of a concern for me.... Their strength is working with you financially and being responsive. Advice would be if you are having trouble to talk to someone and find the right person to help you
3 IUI, 9 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson was great and I would recommend her to anyone. Although the I did not get pregnant, I believe she did everything in her power to help me. She was realistic with me and even though I knew egg donor was a possibility and we discussed it, I never felt she pushed it on me (as I have heard from friends about their doctors). She was always willing to listen to my concerns and was very compassionate. She was sensitive to the fininacial stress of infertility as well as all the emotional stress. I think a lot of people write bad reviews of doctors when they do not get pregnant, but it’s not her job to perform miracles, it’s her job to work to the best of her ability to help us achieve a pregnancy. Unfortunately, she is not magic and she is working with the human body. She can not control my advanced age or medical problems. She did everything she could to help me and was sincerely disappointed with me when it did not work. She is supportive, knowledgeable, kind and available and that is really everything I wanted in a doctor.
If you need more from her, just be kind and ask and if it is a realistic expectation she will probably be willing help you!
Dr. Thompson was always kind and recognized me when I was there for appointments. It would not even occur to me to say I was treated like a number.
I went through 4-6 (can’t remember exactly) egg retrievals and we honestly used almost every protocol available.
Most of the nurses and even the lab technicians were great, but the Hoboken main nurse was often cold and often seemed annoyed. However, they are doing what the doctor tells them to do and although she was not pleasant, I care much more about my doctor, so the nurses personality was really not much of a concern for me.
Their strength is working with you financially and being responsive. Advice would be if you are having trouble to talk to someone and find the right person to help you. The receptionist in Hoboken and also Vic Marie went above and beyond to help me many times.
Sometimes on the weekends (in Livingston) I waited a little, but in Hoboken and Jersey City I felt there was very little wait.
I worked with Lisa in finance and I really don’t remember the total of everything over 4 years.

Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson is sweet and I'm sure she is a capable doctor. That said, I had almost no interaction with her or any doctors throughout my cycle...I was suspected of having endometriosis (endometrioma on one ovary), and was given an antagonist protocol (225 Follistim, 75 Menopur). After my cycle failed, I was told I was a low responder despite having normal AMH levels... The clinic [IMRS] has multiple doctors, nurses, and staff on rotation, and you see whoever is working that day. I did not feel like I got any individual attention, and was not updated with the status of things at all.
It seems that IRMS has too many patients for individual attention....The clinic is well organized during monitoring hours, and you'll be in and out of the office quickly. The phlebotomist team is exceptional, and they were my favorite part of visiting the office. The online portal is nice and convenient. The clinic has multiple doctors, nurses, and staff on rotation, and you see whoever is working that day...You also have to go to the Livingston office for any procedures.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson is sweet and I'm sure she is a capable doctor. That said, I had almost no interaction with her or any doctors throughout my cycle. It didn't seem like anyone was reading my charts, and even after my cycle had failed, she wasn't familiar with my condition or retrieval results. It seems that IRMS has too many patients for individual attention.
Email her directly with questions or update every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim N.)
I was assigned a primary nurse, but I only interacted with her once or twice during my cycle. Whichever nurse is on call at the moment will reach out to you with instructions. Aside from Natalia in the Livingston Office, the nurses aren't very friendly, but will get you instructions in a timely fashion. One of the night-time on call nurses was outwardly annoyed that I called her about pain and a swollen hand vein after IV administration.
The clinic is well organized during monitoring hours, and you'll be in and out of the office quickly. The phlebotomist team is exceptional, and they were my favorite part of visiting the office. The online portal is nice and convenient. The clinic has multiple doctors, nurses, and staff on rotation, and you see whoever is working that day. I did not feel like I got any individual attention, and was not updated with the status of things at all. Also, it was annoying to have to drive to Livingston on weekends and holidays. You also have to go to the Livingston office for any procedures.
Monitoring hours are well-organized. If you go to a branch office like Hoboken, there is an ultrasound technician. If you go to Livingston on the weekends or holidays, a doctor will give you your ultrasound.
$3775 for monitoring (ultrasounds, office visits, and various blood tests); $10725 for procedure/embryology fees, ICSI would be an additional $2120 if needed; Embryo cryopreservation is $1350; PGD biopsy is $2500; PGD testing is through an outside company and would be an additional ~$6000; Surgery center fees were ~$1500; anesthesia fee was around $600. We had insurance, so we had insurance adjustments. I was told that if you pay everything out of pocket, the IVF procedure/embryology fees would be around $9000, which does not include monitoring.
A different doctor did my embryo transfer. We transferred our only two embryos on day 3 because they were low quality.

1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] was always compassionate and available throughout the process... gave us realistic expectations. Even when using my own eggs and the chances were extremely low, she still gave us a chance at embryo transfer. When we had a chemical pregnancy, she encouraged us to consider donor eggs. Her goal was to get us pregnant and live out our dream of being parents. Her mission was accomplished when I got pregnant on the first embryo transfer.
They [Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] have multiple locations and making an appointment is easy. You don’t have to wait Long to see a doctor. However on the weekends only 1 or 2 sites are open and it’s really packed for morning monitoring. Everyone is always friendly and helpful...After having a cycle canceled with another clinic, dr Thompson took us on and changed the protocol after we were told by the other clinic there was no other protocol to use. She gave us our best chance as using our own eggs.
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Thompson gave us realistic expectations. Even when using my own eggs and the chances were extremely low, she still gave us a chance at embryo transfer. When we had a chemical pregnancy, she encouraged us to consider donor eggs. Her goal was to get us pregnant and live out our dream of being parents. Her mission was accomplished when I got pregnant on the first embryo transfer. However we lost the baby at 5 months. In using a donor. We were disappointed to only get 10 eggs retrieved wondering if she was a good candidate. We are about to do another embryo transfer and we only have 2 good embryos left.
If you’ve never experienced IVF, ask a lot of questions you might have. It’s a lengthy process.
She was always compassionate and available throughout the process
After having a cycle canceled with another clinic, dr Thompson took us on and changed the protocol after we were told by the other clinic there was no other protocol to use. She gave us our best chance as using our own eggs. When I didn’t produce enough eggs, she still gave me the opportunity of egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Unfortunately it ended in a chemical pregnancy, which we knew the chances were high. Next time around she highly encouraged donor eggs to give us the best chance at pregnancy
Very organized and compassionate. We were always in contact
They have multiple locations and making an appointment is easy. You don’t have to wait Long to see a doctor. However on the weekends only 1 or 2 sites are open and it’s really packed for morning monitoring. Everyone is always friendly and helpful.
We used insurance for our ivf cycle but capped out after the cycle. When we did donor cycle we paid out 27,000 which included cryo and icsi.
She only does single embryo transfer

PCOS, Unexplained
Stephanie [Dr. Thompson] didn't even look at my labs when I went in for a consult. As it turned out I had low vitamin D and low thyroid function that both went untreated until I sought out research for myself. She did little to explain the procedures involved in IUI and only recommended IVF without any other suggestions/options. It literally felt like I was a wallet to her. She also told me my ovaries looked "polyp-y" and that's why I was diagnosed with PCOS even though I literally didn't have any other symptoms of it. She told me I had "typical NYC PCOS" meaning I was thin.
There was only one nurse I spoke with at the [IRMS] Hoboken site, and when I asked her questions about my treatment protocol she was short, and rude. She came across like someone who didn't want to deal with a patient asking questions.... I was treated like a number and not a person. My results were rarely shared with me unless I specifically asked, and there wasn't any follow-up on my well being after the procedures I did did.
PCOS, Unexplained
Stephanie didn't even look at my labs when I went in for a consult. As it turned out I had low vitamin D and low thyroid function that both went untreated until I sought out research for myself. She did little to explain the procedures involved in IUI and only recommended IVF without any other suggestions/options. It literally felt like I was a wallet to her. She also told me my ovaries looked "polyp-y" and that's why I was diagnosed with PCOS even though I literally didn't have any other symptoms of it. She told me I had "typical NYC PCOS" meaning I was thin.
Don't go to her, she's not worth the money.
The office staff and nurse were generally unfriendly, and Stephanie was no where to be found. She would not return calls/emails when questions were asked.
I had 2 IUI cycles. She started me on 75units of follistrum which resulted in an over production of eggs, and IUI cancellation. My second IUI was with 25units and failed cycle. While being monitored at the weekend location the doctor there told me she saw two polyps in my uterus. I subsequently had those removed at Shady Grove by Dr Martin. I was told by him those can significantly impede implantation...Stephanie was inept in her diagnoses for me.
There was only one nurse I spoke with at the Hoboken site, and when I asked her questions about my treatment protocol she was short, and rude. She came across like someone who didn't want to deal with a patient asking questions.
I can't think of one positive thing to say about IRMS. The 'care' at IRMS Hoboken is financially driven, there was not one ounce of support or kindness by Stephanie or the staff. I was treated like a number and not a person. My results were rarely shared with me unless I specifically asked, and there wasn't any follow-up on my well being after the procedures I did did.
It was first come first serve.
total cost was 4 to 6K.
+ Read more- Read less

I think she's [Dr.Thompson] been extraordinarily helpful during a very trying process. We're currently going to work with her on a third procedure, fully aware that we have a chance, just not a high one. That's on us though...Dr. Thompson explained everything to us and was realistic about our chances at our ages. I felt that she took the time to listen to concerns and when 1 protocol didn't work, she explained why another would be better...
I like the place [IRMS - Jersey City]. There are multiple locations, although I wish monitoring could take place on the weekends at the satellites, versus the main facility...In the first IVF, the nurse didn't tell us whether the 2nd embryo made it to blast, but I emailed Dr. Thompson and she called me back with the results that same day...She's very helpful and gets back to me via email (my preferred method of communication because it's difficult for me to speak on the phone at work) within a couple of hours...
European, East Asian, South Asian, Black or African-American
I think she's been extraordinarily helpful during a very trying process. We're currently going to work with her on a third procedure, fully aware that we have a chance, just not a high one. That's on us though.
I'd definitely say to do some research with ANY reproductive endocrinologist before seeing them. I wasn't calm when we saw her, obviously upset about not conceiving. If I had taken a moment to breathe, I could have looked up IUI and IVF beforehand and decided multiple courses of action before being presented with a whole bunch of information.
Antagonist for IVF 1 - at 40, I have an AMH of 4.86. 9 eggs retrieved, 5 immature, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, only 1 made it to day 5 and tested abnormal. Microdose lupron for IVF 2 (rationale: to get more eggs) - 12 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, 1 arrested by Day 3, 3 arrested at Day 6, 3 arrested at Day 7, 1 made it to blast and tested abnormal. Estrogen priming and microdose lurpon for IVF 3 to start in February 2017. Rationale - egg quality and larger number of eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Pamela VanZant)
I like the place. There are multiple locations, although I wish monitoring could take place on the weekends at the satellites, versus the main facility.
About 10 K OOP for the first, $22 K for the 2nd and a bit under that for the 3rd due to a combined discount, although meds will be more expensive

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson was friendly, patient and attentive during our consults and answered our questions/concerns satisfactorily...She failed to diagnose the presence of a large polyp in my uterus. It was diagnosed by another doctor in the practice during ultrasound monitoring for 1st IUI. Once diagnosed, Dr. Thompson was able to successfully remove it. She is efficient when performing procedures...
[Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas - Hoboken] Strengths - the doctors (Thompson, Chen, Cekeleniak) are great. Receptionist (Vic Marie) in Hoboken office was very friendly and eager to help. Weaknesses - support staff, specifically hoboken nurse. Embryology lab...I live close to Hoboken, so getting to and from the office was easy. They do not have parking, but accessible via public transit...
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We did 2 IUI's and 1 IVF with Dr. Thompson without success. She failed to diagnose the presence of a large polyp in my uterus. It was diagnosed by another doctor in the practice during ultrasound monitoring for 1st IUI. Once diagnosed, Dr. Thompson was able to successfully remove it. She is efficient when performing procedures.
Ask questions and be responsible for your care.
Antagonist protocol with 300iu Gonal F / 150iu Menopur and Ganirelix added on day 4. Total days stimmed = 8 days. Total eggs retrieved = 8.
Lacked compassion and empathy. All news was delivered as a matter of fact. Did not like answering questions, replies were quiet rude sometimes.
I have a really good insurance plan, which covered ~90% of procedures/treatments. I paid ~$3k out of pocket (for 1 IVF , 2 IUIs).
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Thompson is extremely personable and reacted to my concerns about our situation in a calm and reasonable manner. She is professional yet compassionate and makes you feel like there are answers to your particular situation and a light at the end of the tunnel....I have only positive things to say about IRMS in Hoboken. The entire team made my experience run as smoothly as it could have and I thank them entirely for becoming pregnant my first round of IVF.
I have only positive things to say about IRMS in Hoboken. From the beginning, the staff was always friendly, professional and responsive. Dr. Thompson is extremely personable and reacted to my concerns about our situation in a calm and reassuring manner. The entire team made my experience run as smoothly as it could have and I thank them entirely for becoming pregnant my first round of IVF.
This is the first step to success!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim and the entire staff was available to answer any of my questions regardless of how repetitive or ridiculous they were. Kim sent prescriptions to my pharamacy in a timely manner and was willing to work with my insurance if I had any issues.
I have only positive things to say about IRMS in Hoboken. The entire team made my experience run as smoothly as it could have and I thank them entirely for becoming pregnant my first round of IVF. If you feel like I did in the beginning of this journey, I promise there is hope and this is the first step.
+ Read more- Read less
My experience with Dr Thompson has been excellent. She calls me to check in throughout the process and I feel like she really cares. She knows all the details of my treatment and answers all of my questions promptly.... I researched a lot of clinics before choosing Dr Thompson. I ended up going with her because I had several co-workers who highly recommended her and were successful. They said she was professional, kind, friendly and really “ got it” . I found all of that to be true and then some. She presented several treatment options and worked with me to choose the best one for my situation.
IRMS Hoboken is really efficient in morning monitoring. It can sometimes get busy but not as busy as the office in Livingston which you have to go to on the weekends. Everyone is pleasant and tries to get you in and out but they don’t rush you.... Nursing staff was great, all very nice. They send messages through the patient portal and via email which makes the instructions clear.
Dr Thompson highly encourages SET
+ Read more- Read less
The Hoboken clinic [of Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas] is well located. But ones needs to travel to the Livingston center for any major procedure and also during the weekends. Also faced billing discrepancies across the different centres...She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] has a nice Professional behavior. She has effectively listened to the questioned that we had. But it would be good to understand all the steps and the processes ahead of the time in an transparent manner...Please perform research on the process involved and frame your questions ahead of time...
She has a nice Professional behavior. She has effectively listened to the questioned that we had. But it would be good to understand all the steps and the processes ahead of the time in an transparent manner.
Professional behaviour
The Hoboken clinic is well located. But ones needs to travel to the Livingston center for any major procedure and also during the weekends. Also faced billing discrepancies across the different centres.
+ Read more- Read less

I learned of Dr. Thompson through a friend who highly recommended. When I met her she was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and made me feel comfortable asking questions. I felt as if she knew exactly where I was coming from... I went through a Natural Chlomid Cycle. Conceive during my first attempt.
Nurse Kim [at IRMS-Hoboken] was extremely helpful throughout the process as she was the person I had to communicate with the most in order to receive my instructions etc.... I love love love these girls. They made my entire process run smooth. Although I only did one cycle, it is extremely helpful to have a group of ladies cheer you on throughout your time with them. Their weakness would be that their Monitoring hours are early.
Be prepared to ask questions ahead of time.
I felt like a human because all of the ladies at the office treated me with compassion and kindness. They made all of my visits easier as time went on.
I went through a Natural Chlomid Cycle. Conceive during my first attempt.
Nurse Kim was extremely helpful throughout the process as she was the person I had to communicate with the most in order to receive my instructions etc.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] is wonderful in person, but can be hard to get in touch with once you leave the office... this is when the nurses come in and you have direct communication with them. It would be nice to talk to her more, but it worked out...She knew I had to go on Menopur with trigger for ovulation. She was 100% confident this was the line of therapy...took the time to talk to us and "calm me down" knowing everything was going to be OK Doctor Nps
Kim [nurse at IRMS], was very responsive and always followed up if I reached out with questions. She started off very direct, but her personality warmed up and she was very caring towards the end...Overall, good experience. Easy to get in touch with, always had a response within 20 mins if I had a question and everyone was caring and understanding especially during a difficult time. Even the morning monitors were great and put you at ease.
Dr. Thompson was terrific, especially during such an emotional time in our lives. She was reassuring and confident with the plan of action. She always had an answer and knew what was going on. I liked her so much, my sister is now seeing her!
She is wonderful in person, but can be hard to get in touch with once you leave the office... this is when the nurses come in and you have direct communication with them. It would be nice to talk to her more, but it worked out.
Dr. Thompson took the time to talk to us and "calm me down" knowing everything was going to be OK
Kim, was very responsive and always followed up if I reached out with questions. She started off very direct, but her personality warmed up and she was very caring towards the end
Monitoring was covered by insurance, but not medicine