Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
Jersey City, NJ 07030
609 Washington St.
Hoboken, NJ 07030
(973) 322–8286
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Stephanie M. Thompson to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas to a friend?
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson suggested that she will most likely prescribe Letrozole with a ovulation trigger shot. I have one child that I had naturally, so I am assuming that is why she didn't jump into suggesting IUI or IVF right away. I appreciate that!...really took her time getting to know myself and my husband. She answered all of our questions and we did not feel rushed...She thoroughly explained what she was doing/testing every step of the way. I am still in the diagnosis stage of my treatment, but I feel ask though Dr. Thompson has the right plan for me. I told her that I may have PCOS but she wanted me to get tested for it just to be sure since I wasn't positive. She did not push the most expensive treatment on me. I appreciate her honesty and the time that she spent with myself and my husband during our consultation.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Stephanie M. Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Dr. Thompson has excellent bedside manner. She thoroughly explained what she was doing/testing every step of the way. I am still in the diagnosis stage of my treatment, but I feel ask though Dr. Thompson has the right plan for me. I told her that I may have PCOS but she wanted me to get tested for it just to be sure since I wasn't positive. She did not push the most expensive treatment on me. I appreciate her honesty and the time that she spent with myself and my husband during our consultation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie M. Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
She seems like a very compassionate Dr. Just make sure that you come prepared with your entire health history and background so that she can make the right course of treatment for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie M. Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Dr. Thompson really took her time getting to know myself and my husband. She answered all of our questions and we did not feel rushed.
Describe the protocols Stephanie M. Thompson used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
I have not been prescribed any drugs yet, but Dr. Thompson suggested that she will most likely prescribe Letrozole with a ovulation trigger shot. I have one child that I had naturally, so I am assuming that is why she didn't jump into suggesting IUI or IVF right away. I appreciate that!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim Neilley)
Kim was very organized. She knew her stuff, and was great at explaining the steps that we had to take. I feel that she could be more compassionate.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
The clinic appeared to be very clean and organized. The exam room was very clean and the temperature was just right. The bathrooms are clean as well. The front desk was efficient. Not overly nice, but they were pleasant enough.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie M. Thompson at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
So far I only had to pay for my first consultation and pelvic ultrasound. It was just over $300. My bloodwork was covered 100% by my insurance.
Describe Stephanie M. Thompson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
This is N/A to me.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Thompson is compassionate and has a great bedside manner. She was a wonderful advocate in dealing with my insurance company to cover treatments. All of the pros and cons of our procedures were given to us in a way we could easily digest. We have not conceived as of yet but will certainly stick with Dr. Thompson...Dr. Thompson decided against a fresh transfer because I was at high risk of OHSS due to the number of follicles retrieved. We ultimately had a frozen transfer cycle with the one embryo which resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Thompson is compassionate and has a great bedside manner. She was a wonderful advocate in dealing with my insurance company to cover treatments. All of the pros and cons of our procedures were given to us in a way we could easily digest. We have not conceived as of yet but will certainly stick with Dr. Thompson and the IRMS staff.
Ask any and all questions that come to mind. I would encourage you to make a list. I would also add, be patient with the process.
Dr. Thompson gave a personal touch to her treatment plan.
First IVF cycle: Dr. Thompson used 300uI Gonal-F/150uI Menopur (Trigger 5000 HCG). The rationale used for this dosage was due to me only having one ovary. 19 eggs were retrieved of which only one was mature. The mature egg was fertilized using ICSI. Dr. Thompson decided against a fresh transfer because I was at high risk of OHSS due to the number of follicles retrieved. We ultimately had a frozen transfer cycle with the one embryo which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Second IVF cycle: 225 Gonal-F/75 Menopur (Trigger 10000 HCG). Stimmed additional 2 days to increase the number of mature eggs retrieved. 11 eggs retrieved, 2 mature fertilized with ICSI. NGS testing on Day 5 embryos resulted in one genetically sound embryo for transfer. Frozen transfer cycle resulted in negative pregnancy test.
Kim is thorough and always great with communicating next steps.
IRMS is a wonderful practice to receive care. All of the doctors in the practice are women. I've had encounters with all the doctors on staff and each one has an impeccable bedside manner. The nursing staff is friendly and I've formed great relationships with many of them. Weekend monitoring is crowded and takes some time so be prepared to wait a little.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Monitoring appointments are early from 630am-8am. Weekday monitoring is swift. Weekends take a bit longer because there is only one clinic used for all of the patients.
Most of my care was covered by insurance with the exception of ICSI and genetic testing. Those items were out of pocket. The costs associated with each are listed on their website.
i only had one embryo available each cycle so I do not have experience with her approach on multiple embryo transfer.
Clark
3 IUI, 9 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
3 IUI, 9 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson was great and I would recommend her to anyone. Although the I did not get pregnant, I believe she did everything in her power to help me. She was realistic with me and even though I knew egg donor was a possibility and we discussed it, I never felt she pushed it on me (as I have heard from friends about their doctors). She was always willing to listen to my concerns and was very compassionate. She was sensitive to the fininacial stress of infertility as well as all the emotional stress. I think a lot of people write bad reviews of doctors when they do not get pregnant, but it’s not her job to perform miracles, it’s her job to work to the best of her ability to help us achieve a pregnancy. Unfortunately, she is not magic and she is working with the human body. She can not control my advanced age or medical problems. She did everything she could to help me and was sincerely disappointed with me when it did not work. She is supportive, knowledgeable, kind and available and that is really everything I wanted in a doctor.
If you need more from her, just be kind and ask and if it is a realistic expectation she will probably be willing help you!
Dr. Thompson was always kind and recognized me when I was there for appointments. It would not even occur to me to say I was treated like a number.
I went through 4-6 (can’t remember exactly) egg retrievals and we honestly used almost every protocol available.
Most of the nurses and even the lab technicians were great, but the Hoboken main nurse was often cold and often seemed annoyed. However, they are doing what the doctor tells them to do and although she was not pleasant, I care much more about my doctor, so the nurses personality was really not much of a concern for me.
Their strength is working with you financially and being responsive. Advice would be if you are having trouble to talk to someone and find the right person to help you. The receptionist in Hoboken and also Vic Marie went above and beyond to help me many times.
Sometimes on the weekends (in Livingston) I waited a little, but in Hoboken and Jersey City I felt there was very little wait.
I worked with Lisa in finance and I really don’t remember the total of everything over 4 years.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson is sweet and I'm sure she is a capable doctor. That said, I had almost no interaction with her or any doctors throughout my cycle...I was suspected of having endometriosis (endometrioma on one ovary), and was given an antagonist protocol (225 Follistim, 75 Menopur). After my cycle failed, I was told I was a low responder despite having normal AMH levels... The clinic [IMRS] has multiple doctors, nurses, and staff on rotation, and you see whoever is working that day. I did not feel like I got any individual attention, and was not updated with the status of things at all.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson is sweet and I'm sure she is a capable doctor. That said, I had almost no interaction with her or any doctors throughout my cycle. It didn't seem like anyone was reading my charts, and even after my cycle had failed, she wasn't familiar with my condition or retrieval results. It seems that IRMS has too many patients for individual attention.
Email her directly with questions or update every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim N.)
I was assigned a primary nurse, but I only interacted with her once or twice during my cycle. Whichever nurse is on call at the moment will reach out to you with instructions. Aside from Natalia in the Livingston Office, the nurses aren't very friendly, but will get you instructions in a timely fashion. One of the night-time on call nurses was outwardly annoyed that I called her about pain and a swollen hand vein after IV administration.
The clinic is well organized during monitoring hours, and you'll be in and out of the office quickly. The phlebotomist team is exceptional, and they were my favorite part of visiting the office. The online portal is nice and convenient. The clinic has multiple doctors, nurses, and staff on rotation, and you see whoever is working that day. I did not feel like I got any individual attention, and was not updated with the status of things at all. Also, it was annoying to have to drive to Livingston on weekends and holidays. You also have to go to the Livingston office for any procedures.
Monitoring hours are well-organized. If you go to a branch office like Hoboken, there is an ultrasound technician. If you go to Livingston on the weekends or holidays, a doctor will give you your ultrasound.
$3775 for monitoring (ultrasounds, office visits, and various blood tests); $10725 for procedure/embryology fees, ICSI would be an additional $2120 if needed; Embryo cryopreservation is $1350; PGD biopsy is $2500; PGD testing is through an outside company and would be an additional ~$6000; Surgery center fees were ~$1500; anesthesia fee was around $600. We had insurance, so we had insurance adjustments. I was told that if you pay everything out of pocket, the IVF procedure/embryology fees would be around $9000, which does not include monitoring.
A different doctor did my embryo transfer. We transferred our only two embryos on day 3 because they were low quality.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Stephanie Thompson] was always compassionate and available throughout the process... gave us realistic expectations. Even when using my own eggs and the chances were extremely low, she still gave us a chance at embryo transfer. When we had a chemical pregnancy, she encouraged us to consider donor eggs. Her goal was to get us pregnant and live out our dream of being parents. Her mission was accomplished when I got pregnant on the first embryo transfer.
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Thompson gave us realistic expectations. Even when using my own eggs and the chances were extremely low, she still gave us a chance at embryo transfer. When we had a chemical pregnancy, she encouraged us to consider donor eggs. Her goal was to get us pregnant and live out our dream of being parents. Her mission was accomplished when I got pregnant on the first embryo transfer. However we lost the baby at 5 months. In using a donor. We were disappointed to only get 10 eggs retrieved wondering if she was a good candidate. We are about to do another embryo transfer and we only have 2 good embryos left.
If you’ve never experienced IVF, ask a lot of questions you might have. It’s a lengthy process.
She was always compassionate and available throughout the process
After having a cycle canceled with another clinic, dr Thompson took us on and changed the protocol after we were told by the other clinic there was no other protocol to use. She gave us our best chance as using our own eggs. When I didn’t produce enough eggs, she still gave me the opportunity of egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Unfortunately it ended in a chemical pregnancy, which we knew the chances were high. Next time around she highly encouraged donor eggs to give us the best chance at pregnancy
Very organized and compassionate. We were always in contact
They have multiple locations and making an appointment is easy. You don’t have to wait Long to see a doctor. However on the weekends only 1 or 2 sites are open and it’s really packed for morning monitoring. Everyone is always friendly and helpful.
We used insurance for our ivf cycle but capped out after the cycle. When we did donor cycle we paid out 27,000 which included cryo and icsi.
She only does single embryo transfer
PCOS, Unexplained
Stephanie [Dr. Thompson] didn't even look at my labs when I went in for a consult. As it turned out I had low vitamin D and low thyroid function that both went untreated until I sought out research for myself. She did little to explain the procedures involved in IUI and only recommended IVF without any other suggestions/options. It literally felt like I was a wallet to her. She also told me my ovaries looked "polyp-y" and that's why I was diagnosed with PCOS even though I literally didn't have any other symptoms of it. She told me I had "typical NYC PCOS" meaning I was thin.
PCOS, Unexplained
Stephanie didn't even look at my labs when I went in for a consult. As it turned out I had low vitamin D and low thyroid function that both went untreated until I sought out research for myself. She did little to explain the procedures involved in IUI and only recommended IVF without any other suggestions/options. It literally felt like I was a wallet to her. She also told me my ovaries looked "polyp-y" and that's why I was diagnosed with PCOS even though I literally didn't have any other symptoms of it. She told me I had "typical NYC PCOS" meaning I was thin.
Don't go to her, she's not worth the money.
The office staff and nurse were generally unfriendly, and Stephanie was no where to be found. She would not return calls/emails when questions were asked.
I had 2 IUI cycles. She started me on 75units of follistrum which resulted in an over production of eggs, and IUI cancellation. My second IUI was with 25units and failed cycle. While being monitored at the weekend location the doctor there told me she saw two polyps in my uterus. I subsequently had those removed at Shady Grove by Dr Martin. I was told by him those can significantly impede implantation...Stephanie was inept in her diagnoses for me.
There was only one nurse I spoke with at the Hoboken site, and when I asked her questions about my treatment protocol she was short, and rude. She came across like someone who didn't want to deal with a patient asking questions.
I can't think of one positive thing to say about IRMS. The 'care' at IRMS Hoboken is financially driven, there was not one ounce of support or kindness by Stephanie or the staff. I was treated like a number and not a person. My results were rarely shared with me unless I specifically asked, and there wasn't any follow-up on my well being after the procedures I did did.
It was first come first serve.
total cost was 4 to 6K.
Hoboken
I think she's [Dr.Thompson] been extraordinarily helpful during a very trying process. We're currently going to work with her on a third procedure, fully aware that we have a chance, just not a high one. That's on us though...Dr. Thompson explained everything to us and was realistic about our chances at our ages. I felt that she took the time to listen to concerns and when 1 protocol didn't work, she explained why another would be better...
European, East Asian, South Asian, Black or African-American
I think she's been extraordinarily helpful during a very trying process. We're currently going to work with her on a third procedure, fully aware that we have a chance, just not a high one. That's on us though.
I'd definitely say to do some research with ANY reproductive endocrinologist before seeing them. I wasn't calm when we saw her, obviously upset about not conceiving. If I had taken a moment to breathe, I could have looked up IUI and IVF beforehand and decided multiple courses of action before being presented with a whole bunch of information.
Antagonist for IVF 1 - at 40, I have an AMH of 4.86. 9 eggs retrieved, 5 immature, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, only 1 made it to day 5 and tested abnormal. Microdose lupron for IVF 2 (rationale: to get more eggs) - 12 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, 1 arrested by Day 3, 3 arrested at Day 6, 3 arrested at Day 7, 1 made it to blast and tested abnormal. Estrogen priming and microdose lurpon for IVF 3 to start in February 2017. Rationale - egg quality and larger number of eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Pamela VanZant)
She's very helpful and gets back to me via email (my preferred method of communication because it's difficult for me to speak on the phone at work) within a couple of hours.
I like the place. There are multiple locations, although I wish monitoring could take place on the weekends at the satellites, versus the main facility.
About 10 K OOP for the first, $22 K for the 2nd and a bit under that for the 3rd due to a combined discount, although meds will be more expensive
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Thompson was friendly, patient and attentive during our consults and answered our questions/concerns satisfactorily...She failed to diagnose the presence of a large polyp in my uterus. It was diagnosed by another doctor in the practice during ultrasound monitoring for 1st IUI. Once diagnosed, Dr. Thompson was able to successfully remove it. She is efficient when performing procedures...
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We did 2 IUI's and 1 IVF with Dr. Thompson without success. She failed to diagnose the presence of a large polyp in my uterus. It was diagnosed by another doctor in the practice during ultrasound monitoring for 1st IUI. Once diagnosed, Dr. Thompson was able to successfully remove it. She is efficient when performing procedures.
Ask questions and be responsible for your care.
Antagonist protocol with 300iu Gonal F / 150iu Menopur and Ganirelix added on day 4. Total days stimmed = 8 days. Total eggs retrieved = 8.
Lacked compassion and empathy. All news was delivered as a matter of fact. Did not like answering questions, replies were quiet rude sometimes.
Strengths - the doctors (Thompson, Chen, Cekeleniak) are great. Receptionist (Vic Marie) in Hoboken office was very friendly and eager to help. Weaknesses - support staff, specifically hoboken nurse. Embryology lab.
I live close to Hoboken, so getting to and from the office was easy. They do not have parking, but accessible via public transit.
I have a really good insurance plan, which covered ~90% of procedures/treatments. I paid ~$3k out of pocket (for 1 IVF , 2 IUIs).
Hoboken
My experience with Dr Thompson has been excellent. She calls me to check in throughout the process and I feel like she really cares. She knows all the details of my treatment and answers all of my questions promptly.... I researched a lot of clinics before choosing Dr Thompson. I ended up going with her because I had several co-workers who highly recommended her and were successful. They said she was professional, kind, friendly and really “ got it” . I found all of that to be true and then some. She presented several treatment options and worked with me to choose the best one for my situation.
Nursing staff was great, all very nice. They send messages through the patient portal and via email which makes the instructions clear.
IRMS Hoboken is really efficient in morning monitoring. It can sometimes get busy but not as busy as the office in Livingston which you have to go to on the weekends. Everyone is pleasant and tries to get you in and out but they don’t rush you.
Dr Thompson highly encourages SET
Hoboken
I learned of Dr. Thompson through a friend who highly recommended. When I met her she was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and made me feel comfortable asking questions. I felt as if she knew exactly where I was coming from... I went through a Natural Chlomid Cycle. Conceive during my first attempt.
Be prepared to ask questions ahead of time.
I felt like a human because all of the ladies at the office treated me with compassion and kindness. They made all of my visits easier as time went on.
I went through a Natural Chlomid Cycle. Conceive during my first attempt.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Nurse Kim was extremely helpful throughout the process as she was the person I had to communicate with the most in order to receive my instructions etc.
I love love love these girls. They made my entire process run smooth. Although I only did one cycle, it is extremely helpful to have a group of ladies cheer you on throughout your time with them. Their weakness would be that their Monitoring hours are early.