5.5

399 Albany Shaker Road
Loudonville, NY 12211
518.434.9759

2015, Successful
He was incredibly thorough in his testing, and because of his desire to probe things that weren't quite right, was able to diagnose several issues, including a uterine septum, that would have otherwise gone unnoticed and potentially resulted in a miscarriage... I ended up switching clinics purely because I wanted further testing and to add HGH to my protocol, which Boston IVF does not do.
In opposition to other clinics, the REs at Boston IVF do not do their own monitoring (techs and phlebotomists do it) and retrievals and transfers are done by the doctor on-call and not necessarily your doctor... I ended up switching clinics purely because I wanted further testing and to add HGH to my protocol, which Boston IVF does not do... Boston IVF practices very sound medicine, but they aren't very open-minded towards "out-of-the-box" treatments, such as HGH or EFT/E-tegrity tests.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Bayer was great. I'm a very informed patient (and a RN) and Dr. Bayer always was on the same page with what I was thinking. He was incredibly thorough in his testing, and because of his desire to probe things that weren't quite right, was able to diagnose several issues, including a uterine septum, that would have otherwise gone unnoticed and potentially resulted in a miscarriage. He was very nice and attentive. In opposition to other clinics, the REs at Boston IVF do not do their own monitoring (techs and phlebotomists do it) and retrievals and transfers are done by the doctor on-call and not necessarily your doctor. I heard from my nurse after each appt and only met with Dr. Bayer for wtf appointments or by request. I ended up switching clinics purely because I wanted further testing and to add HGH to my protocol, which Boston IVF does not do. As far as my protocol, Dr. Bayer prescribed the same one as my now current RE. Boston IVF practices very sound medicine, but they aren't very open-minded towards "out-of-the-box" treatments, such as HGH or EFT/E-tegrity tests. This was no fault of Dr. Bayers and I would gladly go back to him if we pursue DE.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
I would give this advice regardless of the RE - educate yourself!! You cannot have an educated discussion with any health care provider unless you know what you are talking about and what your options are.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Everyone was nice and accessible.
Describe the protocols Steven Bayer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Normal CD3 testing with HSG (yielded Celiac Disease dx and DOR), since I have a tilted uterus he wasn't happy with the view of my ute he got with the HSG and sent me for a 3D saline sono (yielded endometrioma and potential septum), sent me to surgical OB for hysteroscopy and confirmed septum. Surgical hysteroscopy and lap for septum and endo removal. Antagonist protocol with bcp prep = 7R, 6M, 4F - 3dt of 1 7-cell HIP embryo = BFN Antagonist protocol with EPP = 7R, 3F - 3dt of 8-cell HIP and 10-cell = c/p (added CoQ10 after IVF #1) Then switched clinics for more testing and use of different cycle tools such as HGH.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sonia)
All of the nurses were great. When my first cycle failed I got a call on a Saturday from an unknown nurse and she was so genuinely sad for my BFN. The manager is also awesome. I did not have a negative experience with any staff member.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic in Waltham with surgery center and Domar Center.
Insurance coverage.
Waltham
Kind, explained all my questions, spoke in a really respectful way, encouraged us and gave us hope... Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he [Dr. Bayer] seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol... He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
It [Boston IVF] has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.... One of our embryos did not thaw out and they told me 30 seconds before transfer. Also, they would not let my husband in the room, even though they knew it was surrogacy pregnancy.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Very kind and intelligent, the only bad things were that he seemed so confident in having a positive outcome and when we didn’t I felt like he didn’t dig into why and just chalked it up to bad luck and didn’t really change cycle protocol
Be prepared not to have contact and commiicafon with him-it all had to be filtered through nurses and he won’t mecessaily do your egg retrieval or transfer
But on regular ivf cycle-regular protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda )
The nurse was VERY prompt in giving results and answering questions. He manner or tone was sometimes a bit cold, but I just think she was like that because she wanted everything to be really clear (which it was.)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It has too many people, patients doctors don’t always do physical transfer etc., their billing department is confusing, disorganized and not helpful. However, they have a lot of doctors so you can find a right for, they have easy to get to locations and they have ALL types of programs so it’s like one stop shopping for fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Bayer at Boston IVF.
We spent over 90k on all treatments there and on our gestational carrier.
Describe Steven Bayer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
He would have been fine with putting in two embryos if we had wanted.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Boston

[Dr. Steven Bayer] was compassionate and thoughtful. However, he works at a high cost clinic - we felt like we were constantly repeating the same protocol with no changes. And we couldn't afford to continue to go there...He is great - just wish he worked at a more affordable clinic...He spoke to us like he cared and tried to help us with financial decisions...[Protocols included] Letrozole...
Strengths [at Boston IVF]: Convenience - many locations - easy to get an appointment - someone picks up the phone right away and nurses get back to you within a couple of hours. Weaknesses: Cost - just cannot afford to keep going here. The cost of the IVF egg retrieval procedure is 10k and each ultra sound / bloodwork which occurs every couple of days is also thousands of dollars. I know it doesn't cost that much to administer a 2 minute ultrasound.
How was your experience with Steven Bayer at Boston IVF?
Doctor Bayer was compassionate and thoughtful. However, he works at a high cost clinic - we felt like we were constantly repeating the same protocol with no changes. And we couldn't afford to continue to go there.
He is great - just wish he worked at a more affordable clinic.
He spoke to us like he cared and tried to help us with financial decisions.
Letrozole
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Convenience - many locations - easy to get an appointment - someone picks up the phone right away and nurses get back to you within a couple of hours. Weaknesses: Cost - just cannot afford to keep going here. The cost of the IVF egg retrieval procedure is 10k and each ultra sound / bloodwork which occurs every couple of days is also thousands of dollars. I know it doesn't cost that much to administer a 2 minute ultrasound.
Approximately $3000