Emory
U of Pennsylvania
Cornell

Steven Spandorfer works at

1305 York Avenue

Dr Spandorfer initially was kind, extremely confident and really seem to know what he was talking about and the direction he wanted to go with my treatment. But when my first IVF with him failed he was a very different person. He was snappy and rude and unwilling to explain things to me especially when the second and different protocol didn't go well at all.
The office [Weill Cornell] could use updating and the front desk could you a little training in how to treat patients. The nurses are so kind and helpful, but the drs all think they are gods and are mostly men. Go to another clinic. ... He really determines that [eSet] based on how many children you want to have and how the process is going once the embryos start growing. He is not opposed to multiple embryo transfer.
How was your experience with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
When I initially saw him for our consultation, he seemed to really know what he was doing and genuinely seemed to care about his patients. I felt like I would be in good hands with him. I was wrong. After my first IVF failed with him he became a different person. Perhaps he thought I was a lost cause. He was distant, snappy and often rude, especially when things went even worse with his new protocol for the 2nd round. He never even followed up with me after. He needs to retire. He is a rude, grumpy old man who could really careless about the patients he thinks won't up his numbers.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
See someone else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe the protocols Steven Spandorfer used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
First we did the antagonist protocol with estrogen priming. 150 menopur with 300 gonal-f then added antagonist. When that didn't work we did micro-flaire. Hi rationale was these are the most commonly used protocols. He did not tailor things to me AT ALL.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
His nurses are all great. Its a shame he doesn't act more like them. They are kind, caring and very thorough. They always take the time to walk you through everything. Lots of handholding with them.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The office could use updating and the front desk could you a little training in how to treat patients. The nurses are so kind and helpful, but the drs all think they are gods and are mostly men. Go to another clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
20k for each IVF cycle
Describe Steven Spandorfer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
He really determines that based on how many children you want to have and how the process is going once the embryos start growing. He is not opposed to multiple embryo transfer.
Upper East Side
Dr. Spandorfer is friendly and easy to approach. That said, he does not organically take the time to explain every detail. If you have questions or want more description, the burden is on you, as the patient, to ask. I do think he’s a skilled doctor and I trust his opinions but if you have trouble with patient advocacy, he may not be the best fit...I started with Dr. Spandorfer after unexplained infertility. My initial mark-up showed open tubes and normal range hormone levels except AMH which was slightly low for my age. We did 3 unsuccessful IUIs and then moved to IVF. Antagonist protocol with a fresh transfer.
[Weill Cornell Medical College] is a big clinic, so there is definitely a feel of being more of a number than a human. I will say that I felt more personal attention was given when I transitioned from IUI patient to IVF patient and then again after a failed fresh transfer...Nurses always promptly return calls and leave very specific easy to follow voicemails!...[monitoring was] Busy! But much shorter line with early hours... they see so many people they have lots of experience and data. Recommend going in early for appointments or walk-in hours to avoid waiting!
See above re patient advocacy!
This is a big clinic, so there is definitely a feel of being more of a number than a human. I will say that I felt more personal attention was given when I transitioned from IUI patient to IVF patient and then again after a failed fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Busy, busy clinic so often you feel like a number. That said, because they see so many people they have lots of experience and data. Recommend going in early for appointments or walk-in hours to avoid waiting!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
See above. Busy! But much shorter line with early hours.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr Spandorfer seems like a nice person. But he is very dismissive of questions and of ideas not his own. He is negative on supplements, acupuncture, diet changes and all other natural/non-invasive steps... asked him why he was recommending a certain drug protocol and he responded “years of experience.” Period. He has little time/patience for communicating reasoning behind his decisions....One of my chemical pregnancies was during a cycle where I was being closely monitored before starting my first ivf cycle. When it became clear that pregnancy was going to fail, I got a call from a nurse saying that Dr S suggested starting IVF.
Busy! Which is good because they [Weill Cornell] see it all but it’s a little crazy in there in the mornings. It feels like a factory— very impersonal. Clean, pleasant, easy scheduling. Just choose your doctor carefully— they are all very different.... They’re very busy, juggling a lot. But always pleasant. But you have to stay on top of your own care— you can’t rely on them to hold your hand....They were very good about being clear on coverage and cost.
He is experienced and many people rave about him. He had a very busy practice and it doesn’t seem patients get personalized care. I asked him why he was recommending a certain drug protocol and he responded “years of experience.” Period. He has little time/patience for communicating reasoning behind his decisions.
If you don’t want questions answered, don’t need personal care and know what your issue is, I think he’d be great.
Dr Spandorfer seems like a nice person. But he is very dismissive of questions and of ideas not his own. He is negative on supplements, acupuncture, diet changes and all other natural/non-invasive steps. The reason I left his practice was because the genetic counselor there recommended “It Starts with the Egg” to try to improve egg quality (I’m 40 and have had two chemical pregnancies). He totally dismissed all of that research as not proven and recommended I go right to IVF. One of my chemical pregnancies was during a cycle where I was being closely monitored before starting my first ivf cycle. When it became clear that pregnancy was going to fail, I got a call from a nurse saying that Dr S suggested starting IVF. There was no review of that cycle, no discussion of anything learned, just simply sticking to the path we were on without any communication from him. Without doing a recurrent pregnancy loss panel he was ready to proceed to ivf. I switched to another clinic and am now having several other tests done on me and my husband to rule out other RPL causes and make sure there’s not something else going on that would cause ivf not to work. It seems so obvious but it seems he was willing for us to spend $30k on ivf, and if it didn’t work, then see why.
I stopped seeing him before we started a protocol.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Busy! Which is good because they see it all but it’s a little crazy in there in the mornings. It feels like a factory— very impersonal. Clean, pleasant, easy scheduling. Just choose your doctor carefully— they are all very different.
My tests and diagnostics were covered by insurance. He takes some insurance but the clinic is out of network for most plans. So visits with him were covered and they were careful to send my blood work through the hospital so it was covered. They were very good about being clear on coverage and cost.
He recommended single, which I liked.

Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Dr. Spandorfer] has many many patients and during appointments, I never saw him more than 5 minutes at a time...He's very nice and has a good bedside manner. However, I feel like he has so many patients that he has not suggested any out of the box treatment to me such as mini-IVF or different dosage of medications. I had to do some research and suggest different protocols.
The nurse [at Weill Cornell Medical College] told me that she had made an appointment for me the following day. However, when I got there, I didn't have an appointment. Luckily, I was able to see a doctor after waiting for an hour...It's a big clinic with many doctors available. However, I feel like it's a factory and I am just a number. They don't seem to try out of the box unconventional protocols unless patients suggest. You have to be on top of your bloodwork results and insurance authorizations. They don't really help you.
Definitely do the research of other protocols and suggest to him. Do NOT stay in the same box as every one else.
He has many many patients and during appointments, I never saw him more than 5 minutes at a time.
He only tried conventional IUIs and conventional medicated IUIs with injections to retrieve eggs as per my suggestion. We are on our way to proceeding full on IVF next cycle if this cycle doesn't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
I have to chase down and leave a message for results. Never get any calls on their own.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Thus far, my IUI cycles have been covered by insurance including medications, so I was just responsible for co-pays. However, when I start a new cycle for IVF my insurance won't be covering it and it will cost a lot.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The nurse told me that she had made an appointment for me the following day. However, when I got there, I didn't have an appointment. Luckily, I was able to see a doctor after waiting for an hour.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Spandorfer could do a better job of explaining the process, what to expect, and what’s going on with my body....I believe that Dr. Spandorfer is good at performing the medical side of his job although he lacks thorough communication skills and has a poor bedside manner. He was always on time and I rarely had to wait.... I was told to try 6 rounds of IUI first because he doctor didn’t see a medical reason why I shouldn’t get pregnant. After those six rounds, we will now reconsider the best option, IUI with clomid or IVF.
Weill Cornell is a large clinic but the staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. It’s very busy but they run a well oiled machine. They also do a good job of teaching patients how to use the injectable medicines at home.... The nurses and other staff at Weill Cornell are amazing! I highly recommend the facility.... I have met other doctors at Weill Cornell who have a better bedside manner and who give me more information about what’s going on with my body and what to expect next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Molly and Cheryl)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
My insurance only covered doctor visits and blood work.
Upper East Side
I asked a question regarding our transfer and treatment and he [Dr. Spandorfer] got irritated and refused to answer. He got up and walked out of the room (while I was still undressed laying on the table) shaking his head and rolling his eyes...I felt dismissed and disrespected. He is threatened easily if you ask questions and becomes very irritated and defensive. I don’t know how he is still practicing. I felt like it was 1950 and I had no voice under his care.
Husbands are not allowed in the room during transfer. More progressive clinics [Weill Cornell - U East] not only allow but encourage husbands to be present for this pivotal moment. The retrieval and transfer will be done in the hospital across the street. It is an old facility...I felt dismissed and disrespected. He [Dr. Spandorfer] is threatened easily if you ask questions and becomes very irritated and defensive...Davis and Schattman are great...if you’re set on Cornell.
Don’t go. Davis and Schattman are great there is no need to see this impatient doctor if you’re set on Cornell.
I asked a question regarding our transfer and treatment and he got irritated and refused to answer. He got up and walked out of the room (while I was still undressed laying on the table) shaking his head and rolling his eyes.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Husbands are not allowed in the room during transfer. More progressive clinics not only allow but encourage husbands to be present for this pivotal moment. The retrieval and transfer will be done in the hospital across the street. It is an old facility.
Treated 2017
Dr. Spandorfer was pleasant during our consult and took an extensive history for both my partner and I. He acknowledged the emotional toll infertility takes on a woman and highlighted the psychological/counseling resources that are available at the clinic....looking back I feel that Dr. Spandorfer could have been more specific and blunt about my chances of success doing IVF and using my own eggs. At no point would he give us an estimated chance at success given my young age and diagnosis.
This [Weill Cornell] is an extremely busy practice and while it is run as efficiently as possible, I found the experience to lack personal attention. The front desk employees are not overly friendly. The doctors handing ultrasounds for follicle growth always seemed to be in a rush and I would need to ask questions quickly to get an answer before they left the room for the next patient. I never had a dedicated nurse assigned to my case while I was a patient.
Dr. Spandorfer was pleasant during our consult and took an extensive history for both my partner and I. He acknowledged the emotional toll infertility takes on a woman and highlighted the psychological/counseling resources that are available at the clinic. While I had a basic understanding of my diagnosis from doing research on my own prior to my first consult (my OBGYN had completed basic hormone level testing which indicated severe diminished ovarian reserve and high FSH and referred me to the clinic), looking back I feel that Dr. Spandorfer could have been more specific and blunt about my chances of success doing IVF and using my own eggs. At no point would he give us an estimated chance at success given my young age and diagnosis. He explained that while I would likely only produce 2-4 eggs per retrieval, there was a good chance that due to my young age, there was a chance I could produce a good quality egg within that cycle. As we progressed with treatment and moved on to second and third rounds of IVF, I often found that he would present options (ex: medication protocols) and I would be left to make the decision on which path to choose. I would have preferred the doctor to have more conviction and state "we should go with XX option given this will give you your best shot". I received a lot of "well we just don't know..." in my time with this doctor.
Be your own advocate. Do your research and be well prepared for your consult and appointments. You will need to speak up for yourself and not be afraid to ask questions about your plan of treatment.
This is an extremely busy practice and while it is run as efficiently as possible, I found the experience to lack personal attention. The front desk employees are not overly friendly. The doctors handing ultrasounds for follicle growth always seemed to be in a rush and I would need to ask questions quickly to get an answer before they left the room for the next patient. I never had a dedicated nurse assigned to my case while I was a patient. Every call would be from a different individual which made it difficult if I had questions on my treatment....there was no consistency. For my egg retrieval and transfer at the hospital, it was one big waiting game. The room was full of patients and you were filed into the operating room one after the next. The process was quite long and there was a lot of down time while waiting your turn.
Cycle 1: estrogen priming/antagonist protocol- 300 units Gonal F and 150 units Menopur; eggs retrieved: 3 Cycle 2: low dose medication protcol with clomid-> (150 units Gonal F and 75 units Menopur; meds were eventually bumped up due to lack of response) we tried this approach given my body will never produce a large amount of follicles and I had been told by other parties that this is a good approach for poor responders/diminished ovarian reserve patients. This protocol unfortunately did not work at all and I was left stimming for approx. 18 days without any follicles growing past 10mm and cycle was then cancelled. Cycle 3: returned to original protocol- estrogen priming/antagonist protocol- 300 units Gonal F and 150 units Menopur; eggs retrieved: 1
This is an area that could be greatly improved upon. There should be consistency in the person you speak to during an IVF cycle. I felt like I needed to give color on my case or background information given I was always speaking to a new person. For my first failed transfer, the lack of compassion I received from the nurse who called to tell me my test was negative was very upsetting. There was no emotion or feeling of empathy as she spoke to me and the call last all of 2 minutes. At times nurses had attitudes and made you feel like you were bothering them if you called with a question. You would always have to leave a voicemail and someone would eventually call you back.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The reputation for this clinic is extremely strong in the NYC area. I know many people who have gone to this clinic and had success. I feel like if you have a more common issue or case and can follow standard protocols, you'll be good. The lab is also supposed to have a great reputation and rates of success. I felt like everyone was competent and I was in good hands but often felt like I was being shuffled along due to the amount of patients.
The clinic has the flow down for monitoring appointments and is run efficiently however, there can be long waits due to the number of patients if you decide to go at "peak time". It is best to go when monitoring hours open or if it works for you, to their Tribeca office.
From what I recall, an IVF cycle with ICSI was approximately $20K.
For my first transfer, we transferred two embryos. The doctor gave me the choice if I wanted to transfer 1 or 2 embryos. He and the doctor performing the embryo transfer explained that there was an increased chance of twins by transferring 2 embryos.
Treated 2016 - 2017
We were strongly advised to transfer two fresh embryos by Dr. Spandorfer. When this transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy, he then advised us to transfer only one on the next try and claimed that he did not recall giving us the advice to previously transfer two....He seemed very optimistic about our case and about the prospect of getting pregnant, which I can't say for every doctor I've seen and I do think it makes a huge difference in my general confidence about the situation. He does not sugar coat anything, and he's not a hand-holder.
You will feel like a number [at Weill Cornell]. The nurses are mostly wonderful, but you will not often see the same nurse for bloodwork. Befriend and lean on the nurse who calls you with your results. Make friends with your doctor's coordinator, because if you have an issue and can't reach someone on the nurse's line (I've never called and had someone pick up), they will be able to get it sorted and get you through to someone. You're essentially on your own here.
He seemed very optimistic about our case and about the prospect of getting pregnant, which I can't say for every doctor I've seen and I do think it makes a huge difference in my general confidence about the situation. He does not sugar coat anything, and he's not a hand-holder. That said, any time I've had questions or concerns, I've left him a voicemail and he's called me back immediately and walked me through the options and my worries. He never rushes me on the phone. In person, I do feel rushed with him and at times, like a number. But as long as I have my questions lined up, he will answer anything in person and is very helpful. We've yet to have a positive outcome (full term pregnancy) so I can't speak to his effectiveness just yet.
Don't expect hand holding, have your questions lined up before you see him (write them down) and call when you feel uncomfortable or worried.
We were strongly advised to transfer two fresh embryos by Dr. Spandorfer. When this transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy, he then advised us to transfer only one on the next try and claimed that he did not recall giving us the advice to previously transfer two. This made us feel like he was simply trying to augment his live birth rate and was not concerned about our case whatsoever.
1 IUI - Clomid, Trigger Shot (negative pregnancy test) 2 IUI - Clomid, Trigger Shot (negative pregnancy test) 3 IUI - Clomid, Trigger Shot (negative pregnancy test) 1 IVF - Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, Pregnyl, Progesterone injections (11 eggs, 9 embryos, 7 5-day Blasts, 2 transferred fresh - resulting in chemical pregnancy, 3 frozen)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
The nurse I met at our consultation called in my prescriptions, spoke to me once, and then I've never heard from her again. I was transferred to another nurse on the team who has been wonderful and a good communicator, but no one ever called to tell me that this transfer of responsibility was happening. I was left in the dark, confused as to whom I should be calling with my questions.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
You will feel like a number. The nurses are mostly wonderful, but you will not often see the same nurse for bloodwork. Befriend and lean on the nurse who calls you with your results. Make friends with your doctor's coordinator, because if you have an issue and can't reach someone on the nurse's line (I've never called and had someone pick up), they will be able to get it sorted and get you through to someone. You're essentially on your own here.
Monitoring takes place between 7-8:30am. If you come at 7am, you'll be in and out in 20 minutes. If you come at 8:15, you'll be there for 2 hours.
$10,000 for IVF $2,500 ICSI
He strongly advised us to transfer two. He said that it could result in twins, singlet, or nothing, and that the only reason he wouldn't recommend this is if we were trying to avoid multiples.
Treated 2017
Once my hormone level tests came back, he [Dr. Spandorfer] became very short with me. Just said that it was very unlikely I'd have kids...I was clear from day one that I was against donor conception for very personal reasons. He not once, not twice, but three times pushed it after I was 100% straightforward that I'd either not have children or adopt if that was my only option. Needs a lot of work with compassion and bedside manner.
Very little communication without dragging it out of them [Weill Cornell]. I often felt confused and like I was asking a favor to have things explained to me...If you like an anonymous and mechanical office for something this imporant, you'll love it here. Otherwise, I'd skip it...Nurses were fine- nothing memorable, nothing bad. Far kinder than the Dr. himself...No personal care. I love my regualr ob/gyn there but the fertility practice is too big and factory-like.
He simply should not be treating for infertility. I've lived in NYC my entire life and have never encountered someone with less bedside manner. Unacceptable, rude, unprofessional, and generally seems like he should probably retire.
Look elsewhere. Cornell on a whole doesn't have a great reputation. No personal care. I love my regualr ob/gyn there but the fertility practice is too big and factory-like.
If you have no strong reason to doubt your fertility, I'm sure Dr. Spandorfer would be fine. His initial impression is of sort of a big friendly teddy bear with a touch of frat boy who speaks in plain language. If however, you are in a situation where you think you will likely have a hard time becoming pregnant, I would move on. Once my hormone level tests came back, he became very short with me. Just said that it was very unlikely I'd have kids and when I asked questions, he was impatient and was rushing me out of there. He was blunt, cut me off so abruptly when I misunderstood something and seemed irritated. No compassion at all, just told me like he was giving the weather and left me sitting there with my pants off on the table as he rushed to the next patient. I felt so vulnerable and it was awful. He was however, always willing to have me come back to do a sonogram and blood tests. I was clear from day one that I was against donor conception for very personal reasons. He not once, not twice, but three times pushed it after I was 100% straightforward that I'd either not have children or adopt if that was my only option. Needs a lot of work with compassion and bedside manner. I've sinced moved on to a smaller office and had much better treatment from a kind and caring doctor. Awful
We didn't get that far- he was only interested in having me come in every week to do a sonogram, take blood, and charge me $1000's of dollars while at the same time acting like I was getting on his nerves and wasting his time. I went to another doctor aftwerwards who somehow managed to see me less often and got much more approved on my insurance.
About $6000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very little communication without dragging it out of them. I often felt confused and like I was asking a favor to have things explained to me.
Treated 2017
I felt like Dr. Spandorfer didn't really explain what was the next step. It was like, here is the Clomid, the nurse will explain when to take it, and then come back next week. At the next appointment it was like ok you are ready for the IUI, come back tomorrow with your husband. It felt so overwhelming and confusing. I had never taking fertility drugs before, so I had no idea what the steps were. By the third IUI, I finally understood the process, but it was very hard to figure out initially. It was almost like he expected me to have done my research.
The clinic [Weill Cornell] was a nightmare at best. I cannot honestly think of any strengths except the wait time was manageable. Weaknesses: They are unresponsive. Can never get anyone on the phone. Do not explain anything or assist with insurance.... The insurance process was the biggest nightmare. Cornell took my insurance, but the center did not. This was never explained to me until I got my first bill. I had no idea that my procedures required pre-certification, and no one explained this to me either. I spent more time on the phone with my insurance company trying to get this settled than anything else.
Make sure you know in advance what your protocol is.
I came to see Dr. Spandorfer after my husband and I had been trying for 1 year. He reviewed all of my paperwork and addressed my initial questions, but told me to get all these tests done (HSG, Saline Sonogram, genetic testing) and then come back and see him. I realize this is the process for new patients to rule out all possibilities of why you are infertile, but I felt a little dismissed since I came to him with a mound of paperwork from previous doctors. I guess I more expected him to go over my history and perhaps see if something from my past was causing the issues. Everything came back normal and unfortunately I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and I was to start Clomid. I am the type who wants to know everything, and when it is happening, but I felt like it was very hard to get answers. He didn't explain the process or next steps, and at my next appointment I was told I would be getting an IUI and my husband needed to be available. I was so overwhelmed. I felt like i relied more on friends for answers, than the doctor. Also, the office at Cornell caused me the most stress of the entire process. Getting someone on the phone, figuring out insurance, Pre-certification ... everything was a total nightmare with this office and I was constantly figuring all of this out on my own. I ended up leaving the practice after my third IUI.
I took clomid, 50mg at for the first round and then for my 2nd and 3rd I was bumped up to 100mg since I responded fairly well. Unfortunately with unexplained infertility there was not too much for the doctor to do. The 1st and 2nd resulted in a negative beta, and my 3rd produced a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl )
My nurse, Cheryl, was great. However, the office staff (billing, Dr. Spandorfers assistant) was a nightmare. My insurance required pre-certification, and since this was my first experience with fertility treatments, I had no idea how to go about doing this. The nursing team barely walked me through the process. I spent hours calling insurance and coordinating with my nursing team. The wrong prescriptions were called in causing a delay in my trigger shot.. it was all very unorganized.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic was a nightmare at best. I cannot honestly think of any strengths except the wait time was manageable. Weaknesses: They are unresponsive. Can never get anyone on the phone. Do not explain anything or assist with insurance.
Cornell accepted my insurance, but their 'center' did not. The center does everything for IVF and some IUI procedures. Very hard to understand. Made for some very confusing and expensive bills.
Did not do this.
Treated 2017
Dr. Spandorfer does not have a warm bedside manner. He is very matter-of-fact and not compassionate, especially for someone who has experienced a total of 7 miscarriages..... As someone with a more difficult case (due to numerous unexplained miscarriages), I was hoping to have someone who was more compassionate to my experience and offer his opinion on why he felt things didn't work out. Dr. Spandorfer doesn't volunteer much information and to get any answers, you really have to ask him. Even then, his answers are extremely brief.
The one thing I hate the most about the nursing team [at Weill Cornell Medical College], is that you can't call and directly speak to someone. The number you dial is their VM, so you leave a message and someone calls you back. If you work, which I do, this often leads to a lot of phone tag - which is annoying to deal with while you are going through a cycle and stressed as is.... Monitoring hours in NYC can have very long wait time! I typically waitied at least 1 hour
Dr. Spandorfer came highly recommended to me by a friend who had previously used him and now has two babies. As someone with a more difficult case (due to numerous unexplained miscarriages), I was hoping to have someone who was more compassionate to my experience and offer his opinion on why he felt things didn't work out. Dr. Spandorfer doesn't volunteer much information and to get any answers, you really have to ask him. Even then, his answers are extremely brief.
If you don't need much hand-holding and want someone to just get straight to the point, without explanation, Dr. Spandorfer is great.
The one thing I hate the most about the nursing team, is that you can't call and directly speak to someone. The number you dial is their VM, so you leave a message and someone calls you back. If you work, which I do, this often leads to a lot of phone tag - which is annoying to deal with while you are going through a cycle and stressed as is.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Well oiled machine! Monitoring hours in NYC can have very long wait time! I typically waitied at least 1 hour
Due to my many failed pregnancies, we transferred 3 embryos during a fresh transfer.
Treated 2014 - 2017
There were moments when he seemed like he really cared. Many more times when I was a number and was treated by him and staff with little compassion...he lacks any personal skills. He does not like telling patients details or answering many questions. He is incredibly hard to reach via phone when needed...Do not go to him if you can't handle not seeing him and getting very little information...
[Weill Cornell] Strengths are it is one of the best labs in the country and they have a very high success rate. Weaknesses are little to no personal skills and you get almost zero information. When asking for information you are treated poorly or given wrong information (not by doctor but by nurses)..Inconsistent- sometimes very long waits and sometimes no wait. Front desk is rude and unhelpful...The nursing staff was incredibly inconsistent. You got calls from different nurses every day.
He is one of the best doctors, so people say. However he lacks any personal skills. He does not like telling patients details or answering many questions. He is incredibly hard to reach via phone when needed.
The nursing staff was incredibly inconsistent. You got calls from different nurses every day. They lacked any ability to answer questions. And when they did answer a question, you could never be sure they were accurate. Over the past 4 years of treatment the nursing staff has actually gotten worse.
Very expensive.

Treated 2015
I did not like him. He was condescending and always in a rush. When i went in for my first sonogram post positive pregnancy test and he didn't see what he was expecting to see, he was insensitive and brief and left the room abruptly. We felt helpless and abandoned and I switched doctors immediately.
Go to him only if you literally do not care about bedside manner and you don't mind being treated like a number.
He didn't know my name. He barely took the time to answer my questions.
It was hard to get anyone to spend more than 30 seconds with me. They were all very hurried and when I went in for monitoring the last time they were horrible. Stabbed me with the needle and rude.
Covered by insurance. Just paid copays
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
They barely knew who I was and it was obvious. The doctor didn't take the time to go over my questions and concerns and prescribed me the wrong dose of synthroid without being able to monitor me for it. He was cold, abrupt and rude about telling me and my husband that I was likely going to miscarry. It was going to be a horrible time but could have been a little less horrible if he had 5 minutes and a heart. Even before that though he was condescending and rude everytime I spoke to him. I did not feel well supported or well cared for in his care.
Treated 2010
Dr. Spandorfer did not have much of a bedside manor. He is not warm at all and had no hope for me getting pregnant. He told me I had "less than 5% chance of getting pregnant". After that conversation I decided to switch doctors. My next doctor was successful at getting me pregnant with my own eggs after only one IVF....Unless you are a prime candidate to be successful he will probably suggest donor egg. If you are not ready for that seek out a second opinion.
Cornell has a great reputation - but all the doctors are not created equal. The MD I really wanted to see had a long wait and also did not take my insurance. Dr. S had some good reviews so I went with him. Sometimes you have to realize that you have to see for yourself how you get along with a particular doctor -everyone is different and has different expectations.. Cornell does have that factory feel - so if you need your hand held I would recommend checking out other places...
Cornell is like a factory - very crowded during monitoring.
It's such a large clinic it really depends who you get that day. Also, this was 2010 so the staff may have changed. Most were fine.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It was a cattle call - but it was well run
I had some fertility grant money which covered medications. I think we paid for 2 cycles - something like 10K each (I don't remember exactly)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My blood work stated that I had a autoimmune thyroid issue, but this doctor never let me know or brought it up to me.