Emory
Cornell

Steven Spandorfer works at

1305 York Avenue

Treated 2018 - 2019
I can understand that someone going to him [Spandorfer] might feel like a number if everything looks normal and you proceed through monitoring to egg retrieval on a normal schedule. Unfortunately, I did not respond to injections and so I received personal attention from the doctor. He was very responsive by phone and then we scheduled an appointment to discuss an alternate protocol for when I try again. He took the time to answer my questions and hear my frustrations and we're moving on together. I'm still happy with his care.
Totally professional operation [Weill Cornell], you'll be in and out in no time during monitoring, I found everyone to be very positive and friendly. I can see why people may feel like they're a number but I count the efficiently as an absolute plus on a busy weekday morning. Facilities are great as well.... Expensive but what I had not spent was promptly refunded when I had to cancel my egg retrieval.
How was your experience with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He's very straightforward and has a good, dry sense of humor. I'm not someone who needs a lot of coddling but when I had to cancel my egg retrieval due to low response, he was sympathetic and understanding without sugar coating things for me. I really appreciate that quality.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
You may not get a lot of time with him so come prepared and don't be afraid to answer questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I can understand that someone going to him might feel like a number if everything looks normal and you proceed through monitoring to egg retrieval on a normal schedule. Unfortunately, I did not respond to injections and so I received personal attention from the doctor. He was very responsive by phone and then we scheduled an appointment to discuss an alternate protocol for when I try again. He took the time to answer my questions and hear my frustrations and we're moving on together. I'm still happy with his care.
Describe the protocols Steven Spandorfer used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
I was initially on a very standard protocol, albeit at the highest doses of menopur and gonal-f. I will be on a new protocol with twice daily injections (still at max dose), micro dose lupron, and estrogen priming the second time around.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had limited interaction but they seemed well informed about my situation and the next steps the doctor wanted to take.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Totally professional operation, you'll be in and out in no time during monitoring, I found everyone to be very positive and friendly. I can see why people may feel like they're a number but I count the efficiently as an absolute plus on a busy weekday morning. Facilities are great as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Treated 2015 - 2018
Dr. Spandorfer isn't the hand holding type but I appreciated his warm personality and light humor. He was positive, empathetic and helped make a stressful and emotional process a bit easier. He doesn't always explain next steps thoroughly but was always willing to answer questions or elaborate if I asked... My first retrieval resulted in 26 eggs that became 13 embryos. Due to my age and good test results Dr. Spandorfer did not recommend PGS testing. We did one fresh transfer which resulted in a miscarriage and then 3 frozen transfers before getting pregnant.
They [Weill Cornell Medical College] see a high volume of patients but I've never had issues with wait time, they have convenient morning monitoring hours and it was great to be able to go to the UES or Tribeca office for my monitoring. I appreciated the calls from my nurses with instructions and next steps but feel as though email communication could be helpful in communicating medicine dosages, next appointments, etc. The billing was definitely a bit of a mess and I never felt like I had a clear understanding of what I was being billed
I had two unsuccessful IUIs before moving on to IVF. My first retrieval resulted in 26 eggs that became 13 embryos. Due to my age and good test results Dr. Spandorfer did not recommend PGS testing. We did one fresh transfer which resulted in a miscarriage and then 3 frozen transfers before getting pregnant. Each time we did natural FET cycles. I'm now trying for my second and after doing 2 natural FET cycles from frozen embryos from my 1st cycle, I did another retrieval that yielded 31 eggs and resulted in 17 embryos. This time we did PGS testing and have 7 high quality embryos. We have transferred 4 of those in 3 different FETs, 2 natural and 1 medicated cycle and have yet to be successful.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
In general I found my experience to be positive. They see a high volume of patients but I've never had issues with wait time, they have convenient morning monitoring hours and it was great to be able to go to the UES or Tribeca office for my monitoring. I appreciated the calls from my nurses with instructions and next steps but feel as though email communication could be helpful in communicating medicine dosages, next appointments, etc. The billing was definitely a bit of a mess and I never felt like I had a clear understanding of what I was being billed for.
$10,500 - IVF Cycle (Not including PGS testing or ICSI if needed) $2,630 - ICSI $4,260 - Frozen Embryo Transfer
Describe Steven Spandorfer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Spandorfer recommended eSET but after a few failed transfers he supported our decision to transfer two embryos.
Treated 2017 - 2018
[Dr. Spandorfer is] very knowledgeable and experienced. He's open to patient suggestsions and always open to discussing options. He does not email however and you have to leave a message with his admin and hope you catch his return call. This can be frustrating.... Also, he can influence costs so try to include him with treatment decisions that will impact your budget.... [Eset Approach] He prefers to transfer one... Estrogen patches, progesterone, injectibles, surgeries
It's very disorganized. There is no one coordinating care, finances and treatment goals. I had to call the practice manager to complain about insurance and personal billing practices. I had two cycles canceled due to disorganization. I don't think the practice [Weill Cornell] is run very well.... The only reason to go here is the quality of the lab and the experienced REs. The practice is huge, impersonal and disorganized.... Monitoring is OK.
He's very knowledgeable and experienced. He's open to patient suggestsions and always open to discussing options. He does not email however and you have to leave a message with his admin and hope you catch his return call. This can be frustrating.
Ask lots of questions and try to get him to anticipate your treatment needs so you don't end up with an issue with the insurance company that can impact your treatment. Also, he can influence costs so try to include him with treatment decisions that will impact your budget.
He's personable and kind
There were many. Estrogen patches, progesterone, injectibles, surgeries
Molly is great. Kind and helpful. The others vary
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's very disorganized. There is no one coordinating care, finances and treatment goals. I had to call the practice manager to complain about insurance and personal billing practices. I had two cycles canceled due to disorganization. I don't think the practice is run very well.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Monitoring is OK. It is a huge practice so you could wait for a while unless you go very early or vet late.
About $10k per cycle
He prefers to transfer one

Treated 2016 - 2017
I felt like Dr. Spandorfer was readily available to speak on the phone if needed and I saw him during most of my visits...For our 3rd transfer - another frozen cycle - we did the same process and transfered 2 embryos. We are currently 6 weeks 4 days pregnant with 1. Our first ever positive in 2.5+ years. The only change this cycle was I had a hysteroscopy and lining scratch the month prior.
Yes - the waiting room [at Weill Cornell Medical College] is filled with patients. But, the wait times are less than 20 minutes about 90% of the time. Monitoring hours of 6:30-8:30 are convenient and I often showed up at 8:40 with no issues. If your doctor wants you to schedule an appointment, appointments are easy to come by (typically) and rarely did I ever have to wait... you will always be leaving voice mails for nurses and assistants. BUT, don't get discouraged, I received phone calls back the same day 99% of the time. Your messages will be returned!
I was very happy to have chosen Dr. Spandorfer and Weill Cornell after having negative experiences at another clinic. I felt like Dr. Spandorfer was readily available to speak on the phone if needed and I saw him during most of my visits. He loves to tell corny jokes - but this doesn't bother me. Infertility is so depressing, that it was kind of nice to have the mood lightened.
Be proactive. Always ask questions if you have them and don't be shy to speak up if you have concerns.
After 2 of my failed transfers, Dr. Spandorfer called me on the phone unprompted to tell me he was sorry that the transfers did not work.
IVF + ICSI - We had male factor infertility with low morphology so he felt that ICSI was necessary to get the best quality sperm. I believe my IVF injections were given to me in low, steady dosages so as to improve the quality of my eggs for retrieval. We successfully fertilized 11 embryos (out of 15 eggs) and 5 made it to Day 5. For our fresh transfer of 1 embryo, we were not successful. For our second transfer - a frozen cycle - I was put on birth control, lupron, estrogen patches and progesterone in oil. We transfered 2 frozen embryos and were not successful. For our 3rd transfer - another frozen cycle - we did the same process and transfered 2 embryos. We are currently 6 weeks 4 days pregnant with 1. Our first ever positive in 2.5+ years. The only change this cycle was I had a hysteroscopy and lining scratch the month prior.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Crystal)
One thing to note - you will always be leaving voice mails for nurses and assistants. BUT, don't get discouraged, I received phone calls back the same day 99% of the time. Your messages will be returned!
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The offices at Will Cornell are also superbly up-to-date and clean, which sounds obvious, but is not something I found in other clinics. The waiting room is quiet, clean and efficiently run. The exam rooms are similarly clean and machines look new. Yes - the waiting room is filled with patients. But, the wait times are less than 20 minutes about 90% of the time. Monitoring hours of 6:30-8:30 are convenient and I often showed up at 8:40 with no issues. If your doctor wants you to schedule an appointment, appointments are easy to come by (typically) and rarely did I ever have to wait.
My IUIs were covered by insurance with only copays. My insurance did not cover IVF or any drugs involved with IVF. IVF + ICSI + fresh transfer + embryo storage + the hospital fee + sperm collection + all bloodwork/ultrasounds cost us approximately $15,000 (medications not included). Each frozen embryo transfer was approximately $4600 (medications not included).
He pushed eSET for us since I am under 35, but after our first failed transfer he had no issues with us moving to 2 embryo transfers. He warned us of high risk pregnancies with multiple embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had one minor incident where the blood lab tech told me that a nurse wouldn't be calling me with my test results because it was a holiday - July 3rd. I was pretty upset since they were closed on July 4th. Luckily she was wrong and I received a call as I normally would that same day. It was a mix up but it brought me a lot of stress for those few hours!
Treated 2016 - 2017
I liked Dr. Spandorfer. He was just the right amount of involved. The only thing that bugged me was that it was hard to speak directly with him, unless you were at the clinic. I wasn't given an email address and when I left messages, it took a while for a return phone call. I would have liked to have been able to email questions. He was sympathetic when I had a miscarriage and did a lot of follow up because I had complications...Very much like a factory - tons of people in waiting room. But, they were very efficient with the class that they offer before IVF to teach you everything
Very much like a factory [Weill Cornell - U East] - tons of people in waiting room. But, they were very efficient with the class that they offer before IVF to teach you everything... I received instructions that conflicted with my normal protocol. I received a second call with the correct instructions. Also. with pre-certifications, I wasn't told that they expire. I had one approved in October and delayed a few cycles. In January, I was all set to go and I was told the pre-certification with my insurance had expired. It took heaven and earth to get it done on time.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very much like a factory - tons of people in waiting room. But, they were very efficient with the class that they offer before IVF to teach you everything. ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
So, the one thing I was not wild about: we ended up with 2 embryos and this was our first IVF. We debated transferring them both, because we were not sure we would go through it all again. But, we really didn't want twins. Dr. Spandorfer told me that at my age (40) the likelihood of twins was very low. Yada, yada, yada, I have 4.5 month old boy girl twins. Of course I love them and are thrilled, but it was a lot to take in and on.
Treated 2016 - 2017
[Dr. Steven Spandorfer] himself was great....called me personally from his cell phone whilst commuting on the train to discuss test results and was a very competent doctor. However, at this practice you see your actual doctor fairly infrequently, and the clinic's antiquated communication style got in the way of patient care...3 IUIs with clomid...great but the clinic definitely has a factory approach...The incorrect dose of clomid was called into the pharmacy for one of my IUIs.
The nurses work hard here, however the only method of communication that Cornell used when I went here was phone calls. When you called them you always had to leave a voicemail. The nurse would always call you back, but it could be hours later and would be at a random time. This did not work for me as I work full time in client service and can't be available when a nurse decides to call me back. There was no email or online portal.
Dr. Spandorfer himself was great. I called me personally from his cell phone whilst commuting on the train to discuss test results and was a very competent doctor. However, at this practice you see your actual doctor fairly infrequently, and the clinic's antiquated communication style got in the way of patient care.
Speak to someone about how Cornell works and what to expect before going to this particular clinic for treatment. The doctors are great but the clinic definitely has a factory approach.
The staff here was perfectly nice, however no one would recognize you and it definitely had a factory feel.
3 IUIs with clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell certainly has a factory feel to it. I felt the front desk was quite rude or dense sometimes; for instance I once was told to come in for a blood draw but wasn't told what time to come in. I called and asked if I could come anytime and specified that I was on my way in as we spoke. When I arrived ten minutes later they told me that they actually close for lunch between 12 and 1pm. Other times I would go in and the front desk would act annoyed by me checking in or tell me that I was at the wrong check-in desk of the two available as if this is something I'm just supposed to know. The monitoring hours are early and a narrow window - they were 6:30 to 8:30 am on weekdays when I went here. This wasn't convenient for me personally. The worst part about my experience was the poor communication between staff and patients. There was no online portal or email; you had to leave a voicemail for your nurse coordinator and then wait for her to call you back at a random time during the day when you may or may not be available. It was maddening for anyone trying to balance a busy work life with fertility treatments as well as being ineffective.
100% covered by insurance
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The incorrect dose of clomid was called into the pharmacy for one of my IUIs. I found it nearly impossible to fix this issue due to the poor communication here until I finally insisted on waiting on the emergency line to speak to someone about it instead of leaving voicemails back and forth. Additionally, I experienced a chemical pregnancy while out of town. I repeatedly told the nurses that I was on a business trip in California, however every day someone kept calling asking where I was to check hcg levels. When I switched clinics I realized that it took speaking to several nurses before someone marked in my records that I was out of town.
Treated 2013 - 2014
Investment Banker
He [Dr. Spandorfer] could be very curt in the morning. He doesn't answer a lot of questions and he can have a cold bedside manner. You have to do your homework on infertility and come prepared to ask the right questions. When I did have bad news, he showed more compassion
Both a cattle call but well oiled machine. They [staff at Weill Cornell Fertility] have timers outside each door and they set it for 7 minutes. [Nurse[ Jackie was the best. She told it like it was and answered all the questions for us that Dr. Spandorfer didn't.
As mentioned, he could be very curt in the morning. He doesn't answer a lot of questions and he can have a cold bedside manner. You have to do your homework on infertility and come prepared to ask the right questions. When I did have bad news, he showed more compassion.
You have to have patience. It is not likely going to work on the first time. Tell yourself it is a journey. IVF is an art, the doctors learn more about you with each round, and make adjustments as necessary. Stick with it and hopefully it will work. Dr. Spandorfer always talked about what we would fix the next time.
He has so many patients that in the morning blood draws and ultrasounds, about 150 women are shuffled through like cattle. He doesn't have time to answer a lot of questions. If you want to speak to him, you should really make an appointment in the afternoon with him. The times when he treated me most like a human were after all the negative news- our first round of IVF resulting in a miscarriage and our second round resulting in not pregnant at all. He called me personally on my cell. I came to realize that if it was good news, a nurse called you, but if it was bad news, he called you. So you actually didn't want to hear his voice on the other end of the phone.
We tried IUI three times, which I feel was a waste of time. It rarely works but I think the insurance companies require it before they allow IVF. He gave me very low dose drugs the first IVF round so I only made 3 eggs. Wish we would have made more to have something to freeze. For the second round it felt like starting all over. This time he gave me higher drugs and I made 13 eggs and was able to freeze 2. So when the second round didn't work we had two left to do a Frozen Embryo Transfer round. That worked and we had our son!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Yes, Jackie Stahl)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very well oiled machine, managing about 150 women per cycle. Extremely efficient in the morning, almost too efficient in that you don't get much time with the doctors. But it's the only way they could possibly see that many women in one month.
Both a cattle call but well oiled machine. They have timers outside each door and they set it for 7 minutes.
$10K per IVF round, additional $2K for ICSI
Treated 2004 - 2011
I felt like Dr. Spandorfer played by the book--you must do three cycles of Clomid before going on to injectables but then he perked up before my second round of injectibles and that's the one that worked...Question whether you have to do Clomid or any protocol. Find out if he thinks it's the best way to go or if it's just the way insurance wants it
The clinic [Cornell] is efficient and as I ended up with a child, I was extremely happy. I do think it tends to be a very sad place. Going in each morning for monitoring, there are desperate lives on display, marriages falling apart, tears being shed. You go through so much and meet a lot of failure along the way...When I went for the "teach" class where they show you how to inject yourself with Gonal-F and HCG, the nurses were spot on when I said I was a single mother by choice and immediately tailored how to inject HCG to me--injecting in the front of my thigh (as opposed to the tush) and writing a prescription for a shorter needle
I felt he was the gentlest of the doctors when it came time to an internal sonogram with the wand. He did explain what the procedures were. I liked him. I felt he listened to me. I did feel somewhat like a textbook case--that we had to do things in a certain order.
I did three rounds of Clomid and two rounds of Gonal-F. I was 37 to 39 at the time
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic is efficient and as I ended up with a child, I was extremely happy. I do think it tends to be a very sad place. Going in each morning for monitoring, there are desperate lives on display, marriages falling apart, tears being shed. You go through so much and meet a lot of failure along the way
Keep in mind this was over 16 years ago. I paid nearly $10,000 out of pocket. I had insurance but nothing was covered at the time