Emory
Cornell

Steven Spandorfer works at

1305 York Avenue

Treated 2019 - 2020
While Weill Cornell is an extremely busy practice, I appreciated the efficiency of my appointments, where I was usually in and out pretty quickly. While the nurses didn't know me personally (they see a TON of patients daily), they were always friendly and warm. I realized I was a "number" but was totally OK with that because I trusted the care of the team and always felt like I was in good hands...For daily monitoring the nurses were friendly and efficient. For my surgeries, the nursing team was extremely warm and compassionate. For IVF specifically, the nurses were warm, knowledgeable, always answered any questions and called me back promptly.
How was your experience with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I saw Dr. Spandorfer over the course of several months and always felt like I was in very good care with him. He performed two surgeries on me (hysteroscopy & a D&C) and both were seamless with no complications. I also went through two attempts at pregnancy (1 natural IUI and 1 FET) and both resulted in a pregnancy. The IUI ended in a miscarriage and that was because the embryo had abnormal chromosomes (he performed a D&C to remove the embryo and it was tested). I also went through 1 IVF cycle with him and had the embryos tested, and transferred 1 embryo which resulted in pregnancy. Overall, I found Dr. Spandorfer to be extremely knowledgeable, friendly enough, and always made time to answer any questions I had. I always felt comfortable during all my appointments, procedures, and surgeries. When I experienced the miscarriage he expressed genuine compassion. In terms of his style and demeanor, he isn't the type to talk forever and hold your hand. You definitely need to come with the questions you have because he isn't one to divulge or give you too much info unless it's absolutely necessary. You need to be prepared with what you want to know and get clarity on - and ask! Once you do he will give you the information. He is friendly and tried to keep things light - usually cracking a light joke which I found helpful during a process that can be so intense and grueling. I would highly recommend him to anyone who wants an experienced, skilled doctor and doesn't mind that he isn't your best friend during the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Come prepared with your questions and ask! I found him to not say too much - only the basics are necessary info - for anything else you need to ask him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic is definitely a well-run factory but I really loved that. It was super efficient and I appreciated how they were able to see so many patients on a daily basis. It's definitely a great choice for anyone who appreciates efficiency and doesn't necessarily need too much hand-holding.
Treated 2018 - 2020
Dr. Spandorfer is an outstanding physician for people who want a smart, straightforward doctor who is going to exercise his best judgment. He is not touchy-feely, but his medical advice is excellent. I trust completely trust his medical decision-making. He paid close attention to everything that was going on during my cycles and made important adjustments both during and after to improve our outcomes...straightforward doctor who is going to exercise his best judgment. He is not touchy-feely, but his medical advice is excellent. I trust completely trust his medical decision-making. He paid close attention to everything that was going on during my cycles and made important adjustments both during and after to improve our outcomes.
This clinic [Weill Cornell Medical College] is run like a well-oiled machine! The practice runs on time, and everyone is organized and responsive. I never had trouble reaching someone with questions--whether medical or administrative. It's an extremely pleasant place to go...Dr. Spandorfer is excellent at identifying individual infertility issues and tailoring treatment to meet individual needs. For each IVF cycle we did with him, he made important tweaks based on my prior cycles to improve our outcomes. He's not warm and fuzzy, but he's extremely smart and practical and practices evidence-based medicine.
Don't expect to be coddled, but expect to get results!
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
This clinic is run like a well-oiled machine! The practice runs on time, and everyone is organized and responsive. I never had trouble reaching someone with questions--whether medical or administrative. It's an extremely pleasant place to go.
Treated 2018 - 2019
I can understand that someone going to him [Spandorfer] might feel like a number if everything looks normal and you proceed through monitoring to egg retrieval on a normal schedule. Unfortunately, I did not respond to injections and so I received personal attention from the doctor. He was very responsive by phone and then we scheduled an appointment to discuss an alternate protocol for when I try again. He took the time to answer my questions and hear my frustrations and we're moving on together. I'm still happy with his care.
Totally professional operation [Weill Cornell], you'll be in and out in no time during monitoring, I found everyone to be very positive and friendly. I can see why people may feel like they're a number but I count the efficiently as an absolute plus on a busy weekday morning. Facilities are great as well.... Expensive but what I had not spent was promptly refunded when I had to cancel my egg retrieval.
He's very straightforward and has a good, dry sense of humor. I'm not someone who needs a lot of coddling but when I had to cancel my egg retrieval due to low response, he was sympathetic and understanding without sugar coating things for me. I really appreciate that quality.
You may not get a lot of time with him so come prepared and don't be afraid to answer questions.
I can understand that someone going to him might feel like a number if everything looks normal and you proceed through monitoring to egg retrieval on a normal schedule. Unfortunately, I did not respond to injections and so I received personal attention from the doctor. He was very responsive by phone and then we scheduled an appointment to discuss an alternate protocol for when I try again. He took the time to answer my questions and hear my frustrations and we're moving on together. I'm still happy with his care.
Describe the protocols Steven Spandorfer used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
I was initially on a very standard protocol, albeit at the highest doses of menopur and gonal-f. I will be on a new protocol with twice daily injections (still at max dose), micro dose lupron, and estrogen priming the second time around.
I had limited interaction but they seemed well informed about my situation and the next steps the doctor wanted to take.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Totally professional operation, you'll be in and out in no time during monitoring, I found everyone to be very positive and friendly. I can see why people may feel like they're a number but I count the efficiently as an absolute plus on a busy weekday morning. Facilities are great as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Upper East Side
Dr Spandorfer initially was kind, extremely confident and really seem to know what he was talking about and the direction he wanted to go with my treatment. But when my first IVF with him failed he was a very different person. He was snappy and rude and unwilling to explain things to me especially when the second and different protocol didn't go well at all.
The office [Weill Cornell] could use updating and the front desk could you a little training in how to treat patients. The nurses are so kind and helpful, but the drs all think they are gods and are mostly men. Go to another clinic. ... He really determines that [eSet] based on how many children you want to have and how the process is going once the embryos start growing. He is not opposed to multiple embryo transfer.
When I initially saw him for our consultation, he seemed to really know what he was doing and genuinely seemed to care about his patients. I felt like I would be in good hands with him. I was wrong. After my first IVF failed with him he became a different person. Perhaps he thought I was a lost cause. He was distant, snappy and often rude, especially when things went even worse with his new protocol for the 2nd round. He never even followed up with me after. He needs to retire. He is a rude, grumpy old man who could really careless about the patients he thinks won't up his numbers.
See someone else.
First we did the antagonist protocol with estrogen priming. 150 menopur with 300 gonal-f then added antagonist. When that didn't work we did micro-flaire. Hi rationale was these are the most commonly used protocols. He did not tailor things to me AT ALL.
His nurses are all great. Its a shame he doesn't act more like them. They are kind, caring and very thorough. They always take the time to walk you through everything. Lots of handholding with them.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The office could use updating and the front desk could you a little training in how to treat patients. The nurses are so kind and helpful, but the drs all think they are gods and are mostly men. Go to another clinic.
20k for each IVF cycle
Describe Steven Spandorfer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
He really determines that based on how many children you want to have and how the process is going once the embryos start growing. He is not opposed to multiple embryo transfer.
Upper East Side
Dr. Spandorfer is friendly and easy to approach. That said, he does not organically take the time to explain every detail. If you have questions or want more description, the burden is on you, as the patient, to ask. I do think he’s a skilled doctor and I trust his opinions but if you have trouble with patient advocacy, he may not be the best fit...I started with Dr. Spandorfer after unexplained infertility. My initial mark-up showed open tubes and normal range hormone levels except AMH which was slightly low for my age. We did 3 unsuccessful IUIs and then moved to IVF. Antagonist protocol with a fresh transfer.
[Weill Cornell Medical College] is a big clinic, so there is definitely a feel of being more of a number than a human. I will say that I felt more personal attention was given when I transitioned from IUI patient to IVF patient and then again after a failed fresh transfer...Nurses always promptly return calls and leave very specific easy to follow voicemails!...[monitoring was] Busy! But much shorter line with early hours... they see so many people they have lots of experience and data. Recommend going in early for appointments or walk-in hours to avoid waiting!
See above re patient advocacy!
This is a big clinic, so there is definitely a feel of being more of a number than a human. I will say that I felt more personal attention was given when I transitioned from IUI patient to IVF patient and then again after a failed fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Busy, busy clinic so often you feel like a number. That said, because they see so many people they have lots of experience and data. Recommend going in early for appointments or walk-in hours to avoid waiting!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
See above. Busy! But much shorter line with early hours.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr Spandorfer is an amazing person. He is extremely knowledgeable, carrying, smart and respectful. Always answer all the questions. He takes initiative to provide customized care. He tried standardized protocol with me then suggested an alternative. It worked much better than the first one. ... I felt like a human. Dr Spandorfer takes time to explain everything. He is very easy going and personable.
The weakness ; It [Weill Cornell] feels like it’s a conveyer at times. Too many patients. The strength : Nevertheless, the office is clean and the wait time is very reasonable most of the time. The staff is very polite. ... [Monitoring appointments] Reasonable wait time ... Wonderful staff [nurses]. Always very helpful and ready to answer any questions.
Be patient if ivf doesn’t work the first time. Try again.
450ml Follistim + micro dose of Lupron
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Wonderful staff. Always very helpful and ready to answer any questions.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The weakness ; It feels like it’s a conveyer at times. Too many patients. The strength : Nevertheless, the office is clean and the wait time is very reasonable most of the time. The staff is very polite.
Reasonable wait time
$14k for ivf
Treated 2015 - 2018
Dr. Spandorfer isn't the hand holding type but I appreciated his warm personality and light humor. He was positive, empathetic and helped make a stressful and emotional process a bit easier. He doesn't always explain next steps thoroughly but was always willing to answer questions or elaborate if I asked... My first retrieval resulted in 26 eggs that became 13 embryos. Due to my age and good test results Dr. Spandorfer did not recommend PGS testing. We did one fresh transfer which resulted in a miscarriage and then 3 frozen transfers before getting pregnant.
They [Weill Cornell Medical College] see a high volume of patients but I've never had issues with wait time, they have convenient morning monitoring hours and it was great to be able to go to the UES or Tribeca office for my monitoring. I appreciated the calls from my nurses with instructions and next steps but feel as though email communication could be helpful in communicating medicine dosages, next appointments, etc. The billing was definitely a bit of a mess and I never felt like I had a clear understanding of what I was being billed
I had two unsuccessful IUIs before moving on to IVF. My first retrieval resulted in 26 eggs that became 13 embryos. Due to my age and good test results Dr. Spandorfer did not recommend PGS testing. We did one fresh transfer which resulted in a miscarriage and then 3 frozen transfers before getting pregnant. Each time we did natural FET cycles. I'm now trying for my second and after doing 2 natural FET cycles from frozen embryos from my 1st cycle, I did another retrieval that yielded 31 eggs and resulted in 17 embryos. This time we did PGS testing and have 7 high quality embryos. We have transferred 4 of those in 3 different FETs, 2 natural and 1 medicated cycle and have yet to be successful.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
In general I found my experience to be positive. They see a high volume of patients but I've never had issues with wait time, they have convenient morning monitoring hours and it was great to be able to go to the UES or Tribeca office for my monitoring. I appreciated the calls from my nurses with instructions and next steps but feel as though email communication could be helpful in communicating medicine dosages, next appointments, etc. The billing was definitely a bit of a mess and I never felt like I had a clear understanding of what I was being billed for.
$10,500 - IVF Cycle (Not including PGS testing or ICSI if needed) $2,630 - ICSI $4,260 - Frozen Embryo Transfer
Dr. Spandorfer recommended eSET but after a few failed transfers he supported our decision to transfer two embryos.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr Spandorfer seems like a nice person. But he is very dismissive of questions and of ideas not his own. He is negative on supplements, acupuncture, diet changes and all other natural/non-invasive steps... asked him why he was recommending a certain drug protocol and he responded “years of experience.” Period. He has little time/patience for communicating reasoning behind his decisions....One of my chemical pregnancies was during a cycle where I was being closely monitored before starting my first ivf cycle. When it became clear that pregnancy was going to fail, I got a call from a nurse saying that Dr S suggested starting IVF.
Busy! Which is good because they [Weill Cornell] see it all but it’s a little crazy in there in the mornings. It feels like a factory— very impersonal. Clean, pleasant, easy scheduling. Just choose your doctor carefully— they are all very different.... They’re very busy, juggling a lot. But always pleasant. But you have to stay on top of your own care— you can’t rely on them to hold your hand....They were very good about being clear on coverage and cost.
He is experienced and many people rave about him. He had a very busy practice and it doesn’t seem patients get personalized care. I asked him why he was recommending a certain drug protocol and he responded “years of experience.” Period. He has little time/patience for communicating reasoning behind his decisions.
If you don’t want questions answered, don’t need personal care and know what your issue is, I think he’d be great.
Dr Spandorfer seems like a nice person. But he is very dismissive of questions and of ideas not his own. He is negative on supplements, acupuncture, diet changes and all other natural/non-invasive steps. The reason I left his practice was because the genetic counselor there recommended “It Starts with the Egg” to try to improve egg quality (I’m 40 and have had two chemical pregnancies). He totally dismissed all of that research as not proven and recommended I go right to IVF. One of my chemical pregnancies was during a cycle where I was being closely monitored before starting my first ivf cycle. When it became clear that pregnancy was going to fail, I got a call from a nurse saying that Dr S suggested starting IVF. There was no review of that cycle, no discussion of anything learned, just simply sticking to the path we were on without any communication from him. Without doing a recurrent pregnancy loss panel he was ready to proceed to ivf. I switched to another clinic and am now having several other tests done on me and my husband to rule out other RPL causes and make sure there’s not something else going on that would cause ivf not to work. It seems so obvious but it seems he was willing for us to spend $30k on ivf, and if it didn’t work, then see why.
I stopped seeing him before we started a protocol.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Busy! Which is good because they see it all but it’s a little crazy in there in the mornings. It feels like a factory— very impersonal. Clean, pleasant, easy scheduling. Just choose your doctor carefully— they are all very different.
My tests and diagnostics were covered by insurance. He takes some insurance but the clinic is out of network for most plans. So visits with him were covered and they were careful to send my blood work through the hospital so it was covered. They were very good about being clear on coverage and cost.
He recommended single, which I liked.

Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Dr. Spandorfer] has many many patients and during appointments, I never saw him more than 5 minutes at a time...He's very nice and has a good bedside manner. However, I feel like he has so many patients that he has not suggested any out of the box treatment to me such as mini-IVF or different dosage of medications. I had to do some research and suggest different protocols.
The nurse [at Weill Cornell Medical College] told me that she had made an appointment for me the following day. However, when I got there, I didn't have an appointment. Luckily, I was able to see a doctor after waiting for an hour...It's a big clinic with many doctors available. However, I feel like it's a factory and I am just a number. They don't seem to try out of the box unconventional protocols unless patients suggest. You have to be on top of your bloodwork results and insurance authorizations. They don't really help you.
Definitely do the research of other protocols and suggest to him. Do NOT stay in the same box as every one else.
He has many many patients and during appointments, I never saw him more than 5 minutes at a time.
He only tried conventional IUIs and conventional medicated IUIs with injections to retrieve eggs as per my suggestion. We are on our way to proceeding full on IVF next cycle if this cycle doesn't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
I have to chase down and leave a message for results. Never get any calls on their own.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Thus far, my IUI cycles have been covered by insurance including medications, so I was just responsible for co-pays. However, when I start a new cycle for IVF my insurance won't be covering it and it will cost a lot.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The nurse told me that she had made an appointment for me the following day. However, when I got there, I didn't have an appointment. Luckily, I was able to see a doctor after waiting for an hour.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Spandorfer could do a better job of explaining the process, what to expect, and what’s going on with my body....I believe that Dr. Spandorfer is good at performing the medical side of his job although he lacks thorough communication skills and has a poor bedside manner. He was always on time and I rarely had to wait.... I was told to try 6 rounds of IUI first because he doctor didn’t see a medical reason why I shouldn’t get pregnant. After those six rounds, we will now reconsider the best option, IUI with clomid or IVF.
Weill Cornell is a large clinic but the staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. It’s very busy but they run a well oiled machine. They also do a good job of teaching patients how to use the injectable medicines at home.... The nurses and other staff at Weill Cornell are amazing! I highly recommend the facility.... I have met other doctors at Weill Cornell who have a better bedside manner and who give me more information about what’s going on with my body and what to expect next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Molly and Cheryl)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
My insurance only covered doctor visits and blood work.
Upper East Side
Dr. Spandorfer is incredibly dedicated, experienced, hard working and on top of everything. His tone is not super emotional - that was perfect for us. I found his manner refreshing and that it made the process less emotionally daunting for me...Ask questions and he will take the time to answer them... spoke to me like an intelligent adult. He gave us choices every step of the way. He is very responsive. He answered all my questions and made me truly feel like he was individually invested in my success
Molly [nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College] is amazing, as is the rest of the staff. They’re so smart, knowledgeable about protocol, friendly and have amazing follow up...Super experienced team of high quality doctors and operates like a well-oiled machine. Be prepared for it to be busy and that you may not see the same doctor/nurse on daily visits...Dr. Spandorfer spoke to me like an intelligent adult. He gave us choices every step of the way. He is very responsive. He answered all my questions and made me truly feel like he was individually invested in my success
Ask questions and he will take the time to answer them
Estrogen patch then ganorelix antagonist and follstim/menopur. Dual trigger shot for retrieval. Daily titration of medication.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Molly)
Molly is amazing, as is the rest of the staff. They’re so smart, knowledgeable about protocol, friendly and have amazing follow up.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Super experienced team of high quality doctors and operates like a well-oiled machine. Be prepared for it to be busy and that you may not see the same doctor/nurse on daily visits ! I think it is the best clinic in NYC.
Treated 2017 - 2018
[Dr. Spandorfer is] very knowledgeable and experienced. He's open to patient suggestsions and always open to discussing options. He does not email however and you have to leave a message with his admin and hope you catch his return call. This can be frustrating.... Also, he can influence costs so try to include him with treatment decisions that will impact your budget.... [Eset Approach] He prefers to transfer one... Estrogen patches, progesterone, injectibles, surgeries
It's very disorganized. There is no one coordinating care, finances and treatment goals. I had to call the practice manager to complain about insurance and personal billing practices. I had two cycles canceled due to disorganization. I don't think the practice [Weill Cornell] is run very well.... The only reason to go here is the quality of the lab and the experienced REs. The practice is huge, impersonal and disorganized.... Monitoring is OK.
He's very knowledgeable and experienced. He's open to patient suggestsions and always open to discussing options. He does not email however and you have to leave a message with his admin and hope you catch his return call. This can be frustrating.
Ask lots of questions and try to get him to anticipate your treatment needs so you don't end up with an issue with the insurance company that can impact your treatment. Also, he can influence costs so try to include him with treatment decisions that will impact your budget.
He's personable and kind
There were many. Estrogen patches, progesterone, injectibles, surgeries
Molly is great. Kind and helpful. The others vary
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's very disorganized. There is no one coordinating care, finances and treatment goals. I had to call the practice manager to complain about insurance and personal billing practices. I had two cycles canceled due to disorganization. I don't think the practice is run very well.
Monitoring is OK. It is a huge practice so you could wait for a while unless you go very early or vet late.
About $10k per cycle
He prefers to transfer one
Upper East Side
I asked a question regarding our transfer and treatment and he [Dr. Spandorfer] got irritated and refused to answer. He got up and walked out of the room (while I was still undressed laying on the table) shaking his head and rolling his eyes...I felt dismissed and disrespected. He is threatened easily if you ask questions and becomes very irritated and defensive. I don’t know how he is still practicing. I felt like it was 1950 and I had no voice under his care.
Husbands are not allowed in the room during transfer. More progressive clinics [Weill Cornell - U East] not only allow but encourage husbands to be present for this pivotal moment. The retrieval and transfer will be done in the hospital across the street. It is an old facility...I felt dismissed and disrespected. He [Dr. Spandorfer] is threatened easily if you ask questions and becomes very irritated and defensive...Davis and Schattman are great...if you’re set on Cornell.
Don’t go. Davis and Schattman are great there is no need to see this impatient doctor if you’re set on Cornell.
I asked a question regarding our transfer and treatment and he got irritated and refused to answer. He got up and walked out of the room (while I was still undressed laying on the table) shaking his head and rolling his eyes.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Husbands are not allowed in the room during transfer. More progressive clinics not only allow but encourage husbands to be present for this pivotal moment. The retrieval and transfer will be done in the hospital across the street. It is an old facility.
Treated 2015 - 2018
Open, honest, practical, compassionate. Remarkably improved experience over 2 prior NY clinics. Organized office, competent staff. Dr. Spandorfer is skilled, experienced. Open to all questions and suggestions but remains evidence-based and firm regarding recommended treatment options. Open to any non-harmful adjunctive interventions. ... Take your time, trust his judgment and timing
Organized, streamlined, expensive but worth it for expertise. Minimal wait time. Accommodating to changes in life schedule. Sometimes hard to reach after hours but you eventually reach someone. Nurses and staff [Weill Cornell] are knowledgeable in their competencies. Genetic counselors are skilled but could be more compassionate. ... Excellent, well-oiled machine [monitoring appointments] ... skilled phlebotomists
Take your time, trust his judgment and timing
Caring, honest, personable, shared small talk about life outside of fertility
Follistim + Menopur
Generally compassionate, friendly, care about your outcome, skilled phlebotomists
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Organized, streamlined, expensive but worth it for expertise. Minimal wait time. Accommodating to changes in life schedule. Sometimes hard to reach after hours but you eventually reach someone. Nurses and staff are knowledgeable in their competencies. Genetic counselors are skilled but could be more compassionate.
Excellent, well-oiled machine
$25,000+/cycle - some of which was covered by insurance
Treated 2014 - 2018
I did well with Lupron flare protocol [with Dr. Steven Spandorfer]...I have recommended him to all of my friends- he may not be as warm and fuzzy as some doctors but gets results. Won’t “hold your hand” but I don’t think that’s necessary. He is compassionate in an understated way...We did single transfer when it was off tested
I think IVF was 15k ish. FET are 4K [at Weill Cornell Medical College]...Amazing lab and so well organized but...very slow. Prepare to wait for all of your appointments. It’s a cattle call system. Procedures are also very long because of the admitting process. I would recommend...Nurses there are great...I did well with Lupron flare protocol [with Dr. Steven Spandorfer]...I have recommended him to all of my friends- he may not be as warm and fuzzy as some doctors but gets results
Ask questions even if you feel rushed.
I did well with Lupron flare protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Nurses there are great
Cattle call. Ugh.
I think IVF was 15k ish. FET are 4K
We did single transfer when it was off tested
Treated 2017
Dr. Spandorfer was pleasant during our consult and took an extensive history for both my partner and I. He acknowledged the emotional toll infertility takes on a woman and highlighted the psychological/counseling resources that are available at the clinic....looking back I feel that Dr. Spandorfer could have been more specific and blunt about my chances of success doing IVF and using my own eggs. At no point would he give us an estimated chance at success given my young age and diagnosis.
This [Weill Cornell] is an extremely busy practice and while it is run as efficiently as possible, I found the experience to lack personal attention. The front desk employees are not overly friendly. The doctors handing ultrasounds for follicle growth always seemed to be in a rush and I would need to ask questions quickly to get an answer before they left the room for the next patient. I never had a dedicated nurse assigned to my case while I was a patient.
Dr. Spandorfer was pleasant during our consult and took an extensive history for both my partner and I. He acknowledged the emotional toll infertility takes on a woman and highlighted the psychological/counseling resources that are available at the clinic. While I had a basic understanding of my diagnosis from doing research on my own prior to my first consult (my OBGYN had completed basic hormone level testing which indicated severe diminished ovarian reserve and high FSH and referred me to the clinic), looking back I feel that Dr. Spandorfer could have been more specific and blunt about my chances of success doing IVF and using my own eggs. At no point would he give us an estimated chance at success given my young age and diagnosis. He explained that while I would likely only produce 2-4 eggs per retrieval, there was a good chance that due to my young age, there was a chance I could produce a good quality egg within that cycle. As we progressed with treatment and moved on to second and third rounds of IVF, I often found that he would present options (ex: medication protocols) and I would be left to make the decision on which path to choose. I would have preferred the doctor to have more conviction and state "we should go with XX option given this will give you your best shot". I received a lot of "well we just don't know..." in my time with this doctor.
Be your own advocate. Do your research and be well prepared for your consult and appointments. You will need to speak up for yourself and not be afraid to ask questions about your plan of treatment.
This is an extremely busy practice and while it is run as efficiently as possible, I found the experience to lack personal attention. The front desk employees are not overly friendly. The doctors handing ultrasounds for follicle growth always seemed to be in a rush and I would need to ask questions quickly to get an answer before they left the room for the next patient. I never had a dedicated nurse assigned to my case while I was a patient. Every call would be from a different individual which made it difficult if I had questions on my treatment....there was no consistency. For my egg retrieval and transfer at the hospital, it was one big waiting game. The room was full of patients and you were filed into the operating room one after the next. The process was quite long and there was a lot of down time while waiting your turn.
Cycle 1: estrogen priming/antagonist protocol- 300 units Gonal F and 150 units Menopur; eggs retrieved: 3 Cycle 2: low dose medication protcol with clomid-> (150 units Gonal F and 75 units Menopur; meds were eventually bumped up due to lack of response) we tried this approach given my body will never produce a large amount of follicles and I had been told by other parties that this is a good approach for poor responders/diminished ovarian reserve patients. This protocol unfortunately did not work at all and I was left stimming for approx. 18 days without any follicles growing past 10mm and cycle was then cancelled. Cycle 3: returned to original protocol- estrogen priming/antagonist protocol- 300 units Gonal F and 150 units Menopur; eggs retrieved: 1
This is an area that could be greatly improved upon. There should be consistency in the person you speak to during an IVF cycle. I felt like I needed to give color on my case or background information given I was always speaking to a new person. For my first failed transfer, the lack of compassion I received from the nurse who called to tell me my test was negative was very upsetting. There was no emotion or feeling of empathy as she spoke to me and the call last all of 2 minutes. At times nurses had attitudes and made you feel like you were bothering them if you called with a question. You would always have to leave a voicemail and someone would eventually call you back.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The reputation for this clinic is extremely strong in the NYC area. I know many people who have gone to this clinic and had success. I feel like if you have a more common issue or case and can follow standard protocols, you'll be good. The lab is also supposed to have a great reputation and rates of success. I felt like everyone was competent and I was in good hands but often felt like I was being shuffled along due to the amount of patients.
The clinic has the flow down for monitoring appointments and is run efficiently however, there can be long waits due to the number of patients if you decide to go at "peak time". It is best to go when monitoring hours open or if it works for you, to their Tribeca office.
From what I recall, an IVF cycle with ICSI was approximately $20K.
For my first transfer, we transferred two embryos. The doctor gave me the choice if I wanted to transfer 1 or 2 embryos. He and the doctor performing the embryo transfer explained that there was an increased chance of twins by transferring 2 embryos.
Investment Banker
It [Cornell] runs very smoothly for a high volume clinic and the staff, doctors, equipment and facilities are all top notch. Monitoring hours are early enough that I was rarely late to work. Its true that it is not a hand holding clinic. I watched Freedom Med Teach tutorials on injections, researched the protocols my doctor had me on, called the nursing staff if I was unclear on any instructions and was reached out if i had any questions or concerns that weren't addressed in regular interactions. The need for self-initiative did not bother me personally. But if you are a person who is looking for a very tailored and guided experience this may not be the right clinic for you.
I had a great overall experience with Dr. Spandorfer. When my husband and I showed up at his office with an unexpected severe MFI diagnosis, we were in a bit of shock and did not know what to expect. He was kind and empathetic, but did not spend much time on exploring why or how this issue came about. Had we been hoping to attempt to fix the problem naturally (or get satisfying answers) before moving on to ART, this might have been a problem for us. But we were looking for the fastest and most efficient route to a baby and Dr. Spandorfer ( very appropriately and capably) focused his attention his areas of expertise and helping us move forward quickly. While our interaction with Dr. Spandorfer during our fresh cycle was fairly limited (due to Cornell's pooled monitoring/procedure method), I felt like he was reachable if I had any questions and knew that he was the one reviewing my file daily and making the important calls. When our first cycle was successful but ended in a miscarriage, Dr. Spandorfer showed much more compassion than I expected for a doctor at a high volume fertility clinic (and more than I had gotten from any of my regular obgyns in the past) and became our single point of contact for all future appointments and procedures. While it is true that he is very efficient and aware of keeping to a schedule, this benefits his patients and I never found him unwilling to spend time if i had questions or engage in friendly conversation. Rapport with him was so easy that I actually found it hard to transition back to a regular ob after our successful frozen transfer.
Keep your eye on the ultimate goal; he will do his best to get you there.
Fresh cycle: Antagonist protocol with follistim and menopur, followed by ganirelix as trigger date approached. Stimmed for approximately 10 days. Resulted in 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 11 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst transferred on day 5. Resulted in positive pregnancy test but subsequent 1st trimester miscarriage. Frozen cycle: Programmed (due to luteal phase defect/low progesterone in monitoring cycle). Birth control for 3 weeks to begin, layering in lupron injections and estrogen patches, followed by Progesterone in Oil injections. Currently 5 months pregnant from this cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Crystal)
I did not have one nurse exclusively during my time there so I cannot give detailed feedback, but the nurses I did communicate with were for the most part organized, supportive and helpful, despite being undoubtedly very busy.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell is the only clinic I worked with so I do not have a point of comparison with other clinics, but I found my experience to be a very positive one in general. As everyone notes, it runs very smoothly for a high volume clinic and the staff, doctors, equipment and facilities are all top notch. Monitoring hours are early enough that I was rarely late to work. Its true that it is not a hand holding clinic. I watched Freedom Med Teach tutorials on injections, researched the protocols my doctor had me on, called the nursing staff if I was unclear on any instructions and was reached out if i had any questions or concerns that weren't addressed in regular interactions. The need for self-initiative did not bother me personally. But if you are a person who is looking for a very tailored and guided experience this may not be the right clinic for you.
Impersonal but efficient. If you arrive before 7:30 you won't wait all that long.
I had strong insurance coverage so was not aware of detailed costs.
Dr. Spandorfer left it entirely up to us how many embryos we would transfer, but we never considered more than 1 at a time.
Treated 2016 - 2017
I liked Dr. Spandorfer. He was just the right amount of involved. The only thing that bugged me was that it was hard to speak directly with him, unless you were at the clinic. I wasn't given an email address and when I left messages, it took a while for a return phone call. I would have liked to have been able to email questions. He was sympathetic when I had a miscarriage and did a lot of follow up because I had complications...Very much like a factory - tons of people in waiting room. But, they were very efficient with the class that they offer before IVF to teach you everything
Very much like a factory [Weill Cornell - U East] - tons of people in waiting room. But, they were very efficient with the class that they offer before IVF to teach you everything... I received instructions that conflicted with my normal protocol. I received a second call with the correct instructions. Also. with pre-certifications, I wasn't told that they expire. I had one approved in October and delayed a few cycles. In January, I was all set to go and I was told the pre-certification with my insurance had expired. It took heaven and earth to get it done on time.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very much like a factory - tons of people in waiting room. But, they were very efficient with the class that they offer before IVF to teach you everything. ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
So, the one thing I was not wild about: we ended up with 2 embryos and this was our first IVF. We debated transferring them both, because we were not sure we would go through it all again. But, we really didn't want twins. Dr. Spandorfer told me that at my age (40) the likelihood of twins was very low. Yada, yada, yada, I have 4.5 month old boy girl twins. Of course I love them and are thrilled, but it was a lot to take in and on.
Treated 2017
I felt like Dr. Spandorfer didn't really explain what was the next step. It was like, here is the Clomid, the nurse will explain when to take it, and then come back next week. At the next appointment it was like ok you are ready for the IUI, come back tomorrow with your husband. It felt so overwhelming and confusing. I had never taking fertility drugs before, so I had no idea what the steps were. By the third IUI, I finally understood the process, but it was very hard to figure out initially. It was almost like he expected me to have done my research.
The clinic [Weill Cornell] was a nightmare at best. I cannot honestly think of any strengths except the wait time was manageable. Weaknesses: They are unresponsive. Can never get anyone on the phone. Do not explain anything or assist with insurance.... The insurance process was the biggest nightmare. Cornell took my insurance, but the center did not. This was never explained to me until I got my first bill. I had no idea that my procedures required pre-certification, and no one explained this to me either. I spent more time on the phone with my insurance company trying to get this settled than anything else.
Make sure you know in advance what your protocol is.
I came to see Dr. Spandorfer after my husband and I had been trying for 1 year. He reviewed all of my paperwork and addressed my initial questions, but told me to get all these tests done (HSG, Saline Sonogram, genetic testing) and then come back and see him. I realize this is the process for new patients to rule out all possibilities of why you are infertile, but I felt a little dismissed since I came to him with a mound of paperwork from previous doctors. I guess I more expected him to go over my history and perhaps see if something from my past was causing the issues. Everything came back normal and unfortunately I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and I was to start Clomid. I am the type who wants to know everything, and when it is happening, but I felt like it was very hard to get answers. He didn't explain the process or next steps, and at my next appointment I was told I would be getting an IUI and my husband needed to be available. I was so overwhelmed. I felt like i relied more on friends for answers, than the doctor. Also, the office at Cornell caused me the most stress of the entire process. Getting someone on the phone, figuring out insurance, Pre-certification ... everything was a total nightmare with this office and I was constantly figuring all of this out on my own. I ended up leaving the practice after my third IUI.
I took clomid, 50mg at for the first round and then for my 2nd and 3rd I was bumped up to 100mg since I responded fairly well. Unfortunately with unexplained infertility there was not too much for the doctor to do. The 1st and 2nd resulted in a negative beta, and my 3rd produced a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl )
My nurse, Cheryl, was great. However, the office staff (billing, Dr. Spandorfers assistant) was a nightmare. My insurance required pre-certification, and since this was my first experience with fertility treatments, I had no idea how to go about doing this. The nursing team barely walked me through the process. I spent hours calling insurance and coordinating with my nursing team. The wrong prescriptions were called in causing a delay in my trigger shot.. it was all very unorganized.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic was a nightmare at best. I cannot honestly think of any strengths except the wait time was manageable. Weaknesses: They are unresponsive. Can never get anyone on the phone. Do not explain anything or assist with insurance.
Cornell accepted my insurance, but their 'center' did not. The center does everything for IVF and some IUI procedures. Very hard to understand. Made for some very confusing and expensive bills.
Did not do this.
Treated 2017
Once my hormone level tests came back, he [Dr. Spandorfer] became very short with me. Just said that it was very unlikely I'd have kids...I was clear from day one that I was against donor conception for very personal reasons. He not once, not twice, but three times pushed it after I was 100% straightforward that I'd either not have children or adopt if that was my only option. Needs a lot of work with compassion and bedside manner.
Very little communication without dragging it out of them [Weill Cornell]. I often felt confused and like I was asking a favor to have things explained to me...If you like an anonymous and mechanical office for something this imporant, you'll love it here. Otherwise, I'd skip it...Nurses were fine- nothing memorable, nothing bad. Far kinder than the Dr. himself...No personal care. I love my regualr ob/gyn there but the fertility practice is too big and factory-like.
He simply should not be treating for infertility. I've lived in NYC my entire life and have never encountered someone with less bedside manner. Unacceptable, rude, unprofessional, and generally seems like he should probably retire.
Look elsewhere. Cornell on a whole doesn't have a great reputation. No personal care. I love my regualr ob/gyn there but the fertility practice is too big and factory-like.
If you have no strong reason to doubt your fertility, I'm sure Dr. Spandorfer would be fine. His initial impression is of sort of a big friendly teddy bear with a touch of frat boy who speaks in plain language. If however, you are in a situation where you think you will likely have a hard time becoming pregnant, I would move on. Once my hormone level tests came back, he became very short with me. Just said that it was very unlikely I'd have kids and when I asked questions, he was impatient and was rushing me out of there. He was blunt, cut me off so abruptly when I misunderstood something and seemed irritated. No compassion at all, just told me like he was giving the weather and left me sitting there with my pants off on the table as he rushed to the next patient. I felt so vulnerable and it was awful. He was however, always willing to have me come back to do a sonogram and blood tests. I was clear from day one that I was against donor conception for very personal reasons. He not once, not twice, but three times pushed it after I was 100% straightforward that I'd either not have children or adopt if that was my only option. Needs a lot of work with compassion and bedside manner. I've sinced moved on to a smaller office and had much better treatment from a kind and caring doctor. Awful
We didn't get that far- he was only interested in having me come in every week to do a sonogram, take blood, and charge me $1000's of dollars while at the same time acting like I was getting on his nerves and wasting his time. I went to another doctor aftwerwards who somehow managed to see me less often and got much more approved on my insurance.
About $6000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very little communication without dragging it out of them. I often felt confused and like I was asking a favor to have things explained to me.

Treated 2016 - 2017
I felt like Dr. Spandorfer was readily available to speak on the phone if needed and I saw him during most of my visits...For our 3rd transfer - another frozen cycle - we did the same process and transfered 2 embryos. We are currently 6 weeks 4 days pregnant with 1. Our first ever positive in 2.5+ years. The only change this cycle was I had a hysteroscopy and lining scratch the month prior.
Yes - the waiting room [at Weill Cornell Medical College] is filled with patients. But, the wait times are less than 20 minutes about 90% of the time. Monitoring hours of 6:30-8:30 are convenient and I often showed up at 8:40 with no issues. If your doctor wants you to schedule an appointment, appointments are easy to come by (typically) and rarely did I ever have to wait... you will always be leaving voice mails for nurses and assistants. BUT, don't get discouraged, I received phone calls back the same day 99% of the time. Your messages will be returned!
I was very happy to have chosen Dr. Spandorfer and Weill Cornell after having negative experiences at another clinic. I felt like Dr. Spandorfer was readily available to speak on the phone if needed and I saw him during most of my visits. He loves to tell corny jokes - but this doesn't bother me. Infertility is so depressing, that it was kind of nice to have the mood lightened.
Be proactive. Always ask questions if you have them and don't be shy to speak up if you have concerns.
After 2 of my failed transfers, Dr. Spandorfer called me on the phone unprompted to tell me he was sorry that the transfers did not work.
IVF + ICSI - We had male factor infertility with low morphology so he felt that ICSI was necessary to get the best quality sperm. I believe my IVF injections were given to me in low, steady dosages so as to improve the quality of my eggs for retrieval. We successfully fertilized 11 embryos (out of 15 eggs) and 5 made it to Day 5. For our fresh transfer of 1 embryo, we were not successful. For our second transfer - a frozen cycle - I was put on birth control, lupron, estrogen patches and progesterone in oil. We transfered 2 frozen embryos and were not successful. For our 3rd transfer - another frozen cycle - we did the same process and transfered 2 embryos. We are currently 6 weeks 4 days pregnant with 1. Our first ever positive in 2.5+ years. The only change this cycle was I had a hysteroscopy and lining scratch the month prior.
One thing to note - you will always be leaving voice mails for nurses and assistants. BUT, don't get discouraged, I received phone calls back the same day 99% of the time. Your messages will be returned!
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The offices at Will Cornell are also superbly up-to-date and clean, which sounds obvious, but is not something I found in other clinics. The waiting room is quiet, clean and efficiently run. The exam rooms are similarly clean and machines look new. Yes - the waiting room is filled with patients. But, the wait times are less than 20 minutes about 90% of the time. Monitoring hours of 6:30-8:30 are convenient and I often showed up at 8:40 with no issues. If your doctor wants you to schedule an appointment, appointments are easy to come by (typically) and rarely did I ever have to wait.
My IUIs were covered by insurance with only copays. My insurance did not cover IVF or any drugs involved with IVF. IVF + ICSI + fresh transfer + embryo storage + the hospital fee + sperm collection + all bloodwork/ultrasounds cost us approximately $15,000 (medications not included). Each frozen embryo transfer was approximately $4600 (medications not included).
He pushed eSET for us since I am under 35, but after our first failed transfer he had no issues with us moving to 2 embryo transfers. He warned us of high risk pregnancies with multiple embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had one minor incident where the blood lab tech told me that a nurse wouldn't be calling me with my test results because it was a holiday - July 3rd. I was pretty upset since they were closed on July 4th. Luckily she was wrong and I received a call as I normally would that same day. It was a mix up but it brought me a lot of stress for those few hours!
Treated 2016 - 2017
We were strongly advised to transfer two fresh embryos by Dr. Spandorfer. When this transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy, he then advised us to transfer only one on the next try and claimed that he did not recall giving us the advice to previously transfer two....He seemed very optimistic about our case and about the prospect of getting pregnant, which I can't say for every doctor I've seen and I do think it makes a huge difference in my general confidence about the situation. He does not sugar coat anything, and he's not a hand-holder.
You will feel like a number [at Weill Cornell]. The nurses are mostly wonderful, but you will not often see the same nurse for bloodwork. Befriend and lean on the nurse who calls you with your results. Make friends with your doctor's coordinator, because if you have an issue and can't reach someone on the nurse's line (I've never called and had someone pick up), they will be able to get it sorted and get you through to someone. You're essentially on your own here.
He seemed very optimistic about our case and about the prospect of getting pregnant, which I can't say for every doctor I've seen and I do think it makes a huge difference in my general confidence about the situation. He does not sugar coat anything, and he's not a hand-holder. That said, any time I've had questions or concerns, I've left him a voicemail and he's called me back immediately and walked me through the options and my worries. He never rushes me on the phone. In person, I do feel rushed with him and at times, like a number. But as long as I have my questions lined up, he will answer anything in person and is very helpful. We've yet to have a positive outcome (full term pregnancy) so I can't speak to his effectiveness just yet.
Don't expect hand holding, have your questions lined up before you see him (write them down) and call when you feel uncomfortable or worried.
We were strongly advised to transfer two fresh embryos by Dr. Spandorfer. When this transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy, he then advised us to transfer only one on the next try and claimed that he did not recall giving us the advice to previously transfer two. This made us feel like he was simply trying to augment his live birth rate and was not concerned about our case whatsoever.
1 IUI - Clomid, Trigger Shot (negative pregnancy test) 2 IUI - Clomid, Trigger Shot (negative pregnancy test) 3 IUI - Clomid, Trigger Shot (negative pregnancy test) 1 IVF - Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, Pregnyl, Progesterone injections (11 eggs, 9 embryos, 7 5-day Blasts, 2 transferred fresh - resulting in chemical pregnancy, 3 frozen)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
The nurse I met at our consultation called in my prescriptions, spoke to me once, and then I've never heard from her again. I was transferred to another nurse on the team who has been wonderful and a good communicator, but no one ever called to tell me that this transfer of responsibility was happening. I was left in the dark, confused as to whom I should be calling with my questions.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
You will feel like a number. The nurses are mostly wonderful, but you will not often see the same nurse for bloodwork. Befriend and lean on the nurse who calls you with your results. Make friends with your doctor's coordinator, because if you have an issue and can't reach someone on the nurse's line (I've never called and had someone pick up), they will be able to get it sorted and get you through to someone. You're essentially on your own here.
Monitoring takes place between 7-8:30am. If you come at 7am, you'll be in and out in 20 minutes. If you come at 8:15, you'll be there for 2 hours.
$10,000 for IVF $2,500 ICSI
He strongly advised us to transfer two. He said that it could result in twins, singlet, or nothing, and that the only reason he wouldn't recommend this is if we were trying to avoid multiples.
Treated 2016 - 2017
[Dr. Steven Spandorfer] himself was great....called me personally from his cell phone whilst commuting on the train to discuss test results and was a very competent doctor. However, at this practice you see your actual doctor fairly infrequently, and the clinic's antiquated communication style got in the way of patient care...3 IUIs with clomid...great but the clinic definitely has a factory approach...The incorrect dose of clomid was called into the pharmacy for one of my IUIs.
The nurses work hard here, however the only method of communication that Cornell used when I went here was phone calls. When you called them you always had to leave a voicemail. The nurse would always call you back, but it could be hours later and would be at a random time. This did not work for me as I work full time in client service and can't be available when a nurse decides to call me back. There was no email or online portal.
Dr. Spandorfer himself was great. I called me personally from his cell phone whilst commuting on the train to discuss test results and was a very competent doctor. However, at this practice you see your actual doctor fairly infrequently, and the clinic's antiquated communication style got in the way of patient care.
Speak to someone about how Cornell works and what to expect before going to this particular clinic for treatment. The doctors are great but the clinic definitely has a factory approach.
The staff here was perfectly nice, however no one would recognize you and it definitely had a factory feel.
3 IUIs with clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell certainly has a factory feel to it. I felt the front desk was quite rude or dense sometimes; for instance I once was told to come in for a blood draw but wasn't told what time to come in. I called and asked if I could come anytime and specified that I was on my way in as we spoke. When I arrived ten minutes later they told me that they actually close for lunch between 12 and 1pm. Other times I would go in and the front desk would act annoyed by me checking in or tell me that I was at the wrong check-in desk of the two available as if this is something I'm just supposed to know. The monitoring hours are early and a narrow window - they were 6:30 to 8:30 am on weekdays when I went here. This wasn't convenient for me personally. The worst part about my experience was the poor communication between staff and patients. There was no online portal or email; you had to leave a voicemail for your nurse coordinator and then wait for her to call you back at a random time during the day when you may or may not be available. It was maddening for anyone trying to balance a busy work life with fertility treatments as well as being ineffective.
100% covered by insurance
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The incorrect dose of clomid was called into the pharmacy for one of my IUIs. I found it nearly impossible to fix this issue due to the poor communication here until I finally insisted on waiting on the emergency line to speak to someone about it instead of leaving voicemails back and forth. Additionally, I experienced a chemical pregnancy while out of town. I repeatedly told the nurses that I was on a business trip in California, however every day someone kept calling asking where I was to check hcg levels. When I switched clinics I realized that it took speaking to several nurses before someone marked in my records that I was out of town.
Treated 2017
Dr. Spandorfer does not have a warm bedside manner. He is very matter-of-fact and not compassionate, especially for someone who has experienced a total of 7 miscarriages..... As someone with a more difficult case (due to numerous unexplained miscarriages), I was hoping to have someone who was more compassionate to my experience and offer his opinion on why he felt things didn't work out. Dr. Spandorfer doesn't volunteer much information and to get any answers, you really have to ask him. Even then, his answers are extremely brief.
The one thing I hate the most about the nursing team [at Weill Cornell Medical College], is that you can't call and directly speak to someone. The number you dial is their VM, so you leave a message and someone calls you back. If you work, which I do, this often leads to a lot of phone tag - which is annoying to deal with while you are going through a cycle and stressed as is.... Monitoring hours in NYC can have very long wait time! I typically waitied at least 1 hour
Dr. Spandorfer came highly recommended to me by a friend who had previously used him and now has two babies. As someone with a more difficult case (due to numerous unexplained miscarriages), I was hoping to have someone who was more compassionate to my experience and offer his opinion on why he felt things didn't work out. Dr. Spandorfer doesn't volunteer much information and to get any answers, you really have to ask him. Even then, his answers are extremely brief.
If you don't need much hand-holding and want someone to just get straight to the point, without explanation, Dr. Spandorfer is great.
The one thing I hate the most about the nursing team, is that you can't call and directly speak to someone. The number you dial is their VM, so you leave a message and someone calls you back. If you work, which I do, this often leads to a lot of phone tag - which is annoying to deal with while you are going through a cycle and stressed as is.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Well oiled machine! Monitoring hours in NYC can have very long wait time! I typically waitied at least 1 hour
Due to my many failed pregnancies, we transferred 3 embryos during a fresh transfer.
Treated 2013 - 2017
We have been very happy with him [Dr. Steven Spandorfer]. He has been straightforward and responsive. He did a great job stimulating me and getting lots of eggs. Once we realized it was truly an egg quality issue, he led us through the donor process. We miscarried twice after a donor transfer. Once from a Cvs and once from a genetic abnormality and he was extremely compassionate...Be proactive. Ask him questions and call. He always responds in a timely manner.
Until my last fet they [nurses at Cornell] were compassionate, responsive , supportive and honest. In my last fet there was a new nurse and i was not impressed. I do not think she understood my history and case and twice her instructions were wrong. This was the first problem I ever had at the clinic...It was a cattle call and umpersonable. Often you would wait for over an hour. However after a few rounds I knew certain nurses who would help rush me through if I was in a rush.
We have been very happy with him. He has been straightforward and responsive. He did a great job stimulating me and getting lots of eggs. Once we realized it was truly an egg quality issue, he led us through the donor process. We miscarried twice after a donor transfer. Once from a Cvs and once from a genetic abnormality and he was extremely compassionate.
Dr. Spandorfer was amazing. The whole process where they scream your name in a waiting room was not great.
Menepur, follistim, gonal f, ganirelex and poi . No Lupton. For fet we did estrogen patches and poi.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jackie and cheryl)
Until my last fet they were compassionate, responsive , supportive and honest. In my last fet there was a new nurse and i was not impressed. I do not think she understood my history and case and twice her instructions were wrong. This was the first problem I ever had at the clinic.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell has a great lab, great team and is organized, but you are one of hundreds. You wait in the morning while they call your name. You must be proactive.
I mostly had insurance, but I think each round of Ivf was around 20,000 and the donor was 35,000. Get were 5,000.