Emory
Cornell

Steven Spandorfer works at

1305 York Avenue

Treated 2014 - 2017
There were moments when he seemed like he really cared. Many more times when I was a number and was treated by him and staff with little compassion...he lacks any personal skills. He does not like telling patients details or answering many questions. He is incredibly hard to reach via phone when needed...Do not go to him if you can't handle not seeing him and getting very little information...
[Weill Cornell] Strengths are it is one of the best labs in the country and they have a very high success rate. Weaknesses are little to no personal skills and you get almost zero information. When asking for information you are treated poorly or given wrong information (not by doctor but by nurses)..Inconsistent- sometimes very long waits and sometimes no wait. Front desk is rude and unhelpful...The nursing staff was incredibly inconsistent. You got calls from different nurses every day.
How was your experience with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He is one of the best doctors, so people say. However he lacks any personal skills. He does not like telling patients details or answering many questions. He is incredibly hard to reach via phone when needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The nursing staff was incredibly inconsistent. You got calls from different nurses every day. They lacked any ability to answer questions. And when they did answer a question, you could never be sure they were accurate. Over the past 4 years of treatment the nursing staff has actually gotten worse.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very expensive.
Treated 2014 - 2017
I really liked dr 4. Spandorfer. He was honest and warm. When I had a miscarriage or failed cycle he always called me. He did a great job. We always got a great number of embryos. We had poor egg quality and he was very kind and straightforward about pushing us towards donor eggs....Be proactive. Don't wait for him to call you...We had a great experience with spandorfer nurse and the donor team....Menepur, follistim, ganirelex, poi. Donor cycle: estrogen patches and poi.
We had a great experience with spandorfer nurse and the donor team [at Weill Cornell Medical College]. He has a new nurse that we used for a fet...I felt that tlshe did not try to get to know me. Also she provided incorrect instructions twice..thankfully I knew what to do and questioned it...The nurses I had were wonderful and warm. The clinic is very cold but you get to know a few nice people....Dr spandorfer was very responsive, honest and caring.
Be proactive. Don't wait for him to call you
Dr spandorfer was very responsive, honest and caring. The nurses I had were wonderful and warm. The clinic is very cold but you get to know a few nice people.
Describe the protocols Steven Spandorfer used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
Menepur, follistim, ganirelex, poi. Donor cycle: estrogen patches and poi.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jackie--she is now gone. I do not like his new nurse. )
We had a great experience with spandorfer nurse and the donor team. He has a new nurse that we used for a fet...I felt that tlshe did not try to get to know me. Also she provided incorrect instructions twice..thankfully I knew what to do and questioned it.
Treated 2013 - 2017
I loved Dr. spandorfer, he was responsive, compassionate and candid. he is not a warm fuzzy, but he is honest and gave real advice. he told us the true stats on when we should keep going or move on.... Dr. spandorfer is very kind and very blunt. He does not sugarcoat anything. I trusted him completely. he called us each time we miscarried to see how we were
Cornell is a machine. Very little compassion from the admin side. you need to be proactive and on top of everything. with the donor program, you really need to be a squeaky wheel. make sure you understand your meds and protocol before you start.... Jackie [a nurse] was amazing for 3 plus years. the nurse on our last cycle was disorganized and not quite as compassionate. I heard he has a new nurse.
be a squeaky wheel.
Bcp, Menepur, follistim/final f, ganirelix, hug trigger. Our only issue was egg quality. the levels were very low for age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jackie )
Jackie was amazing for 3 plus years. the nurse on our last cycle was disorganized and not quite as compassionate. I heard he has a new nurse.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
it is a cattle call. Sometimes 10 minutes and othertimes 2 hours.
Treated 2016
Dr. Spandorfer has an excellent bedside manner. He puts you at ease with his humor. He gives you hope even in the most grim situation while still being frank about the circumstances. He gave me treatment even when a previous doctor had given me no hope. When the first round of IVF was unsuccessful, he carefully tailored and alternative method of treatment for the next cycle. Ultimately, he helped me to successfully have a baby girl and for that I am eternally grateful to him.
Several doctors [at Cornell] who meet together to determine e best course of treatment. Clean, modern facility. Very large so tons of patients...For 2 cycles about $40k including all medications...Know that you will not see him [Dr. Steven Spandorfer] at every visit which is typical of larger fertility clinics, however, he will call you back if you leave messages with his assistant...Jackie was absolutely amazing. She called me back instantly, was very informative and always full of hope. The other nurses at the clinic are nice and attentive as well.
Know that you will not see him at every visit which is typical of larger fertility clinics, however, he will call you back if you leave messages with his assistant.
The doctors and nurses at the clinic were very responsive and willing to take time to answer all of my questions. Dr Spandorfer puts you at ease with humor and gives you hope.
39yo, dimished ovarian reserve, 6 failed IUI cycles at age 33 with another doctor, 1 miscarriage (natural pregnancy) at 7 weeks at age 36, 2 cycles IVF at 39 yo,1 live birth of singleton girl at 39 yo 1st IVF Cycle 4 eggs retrieved, 1 fertilized but did not make it to day 3, day 3 transfer cancelled. Estrogen patch Gonal-F Menopur Garilinix 2nd IVF Cycle 4 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with ICSI, 4 transferred on day 3 (14 cell, 10 cell & (2) 8 cell). 1 implanted. 1 successful live birth of healthy baby girl. Birth control Lupron Gonal-F Progesterone
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jackie Stahl)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Several doctors who meet together to determine e best course of treatment. Clean, modern facility. Very large so tons of patients.
Tons of patients, however, wait time was not too long.
For 2 cycles about $40k including all medications
Describe Steven Spandorfer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Because of my history, age, low AMH, we transferred all 4 embryos (per doctors suggestion)
Treated 2013 - 2016
He [Dr. Steven Spandorfer] was very direct and caring at the same time. He helped me to move on to surrogacy when it was appropriate. He was very available when I had mid second trimester losses. He always made me feel hopeful...He will always give you his honest opinion...Caring and straight forward...Iui w clomid and letrozole. Then retrieval w gonolith and menopur after ocp. Transfer w ocp, lupron, the estrogen patch and progesterone.
[Weill Cornell - Upper East Side] Very organized. There are a lot of patients...[Monitoring Appointments] Very organized...[Nursing staff] Execellent. Always called in a timely fashion... He [Dr. Steven Spandorfer] was very direct and caring at the same time. He helped me to move on to surrogacy when it was appropriate. He was very available when I had mid second trimester losses. He always made me feel hopeful
He was very direct and caring at the same time. He helped me to move on to surrogacy when it was appropriate. He was very available when I had mid second trimester losses. He always made me feel hopeful
He will always give you his honest opinion
Caring and straight forward
Execellent. Always called in a timely fashion
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very organized. There are a lot of patients
Very organized
$60000
With PGS he recommended one
Treated 2014 - 2015
He's [Dr. Spandorfer] a good RE for you if you appreciate the facts. He can be very empathetic, and is always pleasant, but he's not going to be a touchy-feely hand-holder. For my money, that's good, because you know he's giving you the lay of the land and not b.s.'ing you.
The billing staff [at Cornell Weill] is courteous and will help you navigate things....Jackie Stahl is amazing. I cannot say enough about her. She is knowledgeable, funny, kind, encouraging, efficient but will take the time you need, generous, organized... I really could go on and on.
Dr. Spandorfer was good to work with. He's pretty down to earth, pleasantly jocular (but professional), and in my experience was able to both level with me and my husband as well as be sensitive at tough times. He also rolled with my husband's inappropriate sense of humor.
He's a good RE for you if you appreciate the facts. He can be very empathetic, and is always pleasant, but he's not going to be a touchy-feely hand-holder. For my money, that's good, because you know he's giving you the lay of the land and not b.s.'ing you.
He was always very pleasant, could crack a good (but still professional) joke here or there, and even though he may have simply glanced at my chart right before he walked in every time to remind himself who I was in the first month or so (I mean, let's be honest), it never felt like that - it always seemed like he knew just who I was.
We started with a Clomid 100mg+TI cycle, as I'd done one unmonitored Clomid cycle with my OB and apparently not ovulated (PCOS), and my husband's MFI wasn't so pronounced as to make TI a complete waste of time. It took that cycle to discover I needed a trigger to ovulate, and we repeated Clomid 100mg+TI the next cycle, when I successfully ovulated. The following cycle we stepped up to IUI. Our 3rd cycle with Dr. Spandorfer I didn't respond to the initial dose of 100mg so was bumped up to 200mg (I think?) and did ovulate, again IUI. In December, continuing with 200mg/IUI I had visual disturbances on the Clomid, which Dr. Spandorfer took very seriously, and gave me the IVF talk. Due to my very high AMH, he was not open to doing injects IUIs with me, so we went to IVF+ICSI after our final IUI cycle was a bust. We did a standard antagonist protocol with ICSI. Started at 125iu FSH, went down after bloodwork monitoring, then back up, then down again, added in 1 vial Menopur/day after about 5-6 days, along with Ganirelix. Triggered with 5,000iu hCG. 23 retrieved, all 23 mature, which I think says something very impressive about Dr. Spandorfer's management of my crazy PCOS ovaries. 16 fertilized with ICSI (which is around the 70% fert rate "they" look for with ICSI). I developed mild OHSS ahead of the transfer, but Dr. Spandorfer had me come in for close monitoring to ensure the transfer would be safe. We did a 5dt of one blastocyst (Dr. Chung did it - he was lovely and very encouraging) and were able to freeze an additional 7. I realized I was successfully pregnant when my OHSS returned (moderate this time - incredibly unpleasant). The upside of the OHSS was that I got a bunch of early ultrasounds to confirm an intrauterine pregnancy by 4 weeks 6 days, onward. I was released to the care of my OB by 7+ weeks, and the result is my almost 4-month-old daughter who's sleeping in her crib as I type this. If we decide to try for a second, we'll go back to Dr. Spandorfer, even though he's not on our insurance any longer.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The facilities are pretty up to date and not overly cold or clinical. The waiting room is large, which is in a sense nice because when it's crowded (every morning) you get a sense of how many people are in the infertility journey with you. I appreciate that the egg retrievals and embryo transfers are done in a sterile OR environment, not in an office, though I was a little sad my husband couldn't be in the OR for the transfer. The billing staff is courteous and will help you navigate things.
IVF monitoring hours are "monitoring hours." TI or IUI monitoring hours are (with the exception of weekends) all with your dedicated RE, and specifically scheduled.
IVF was about $15K. TI/IUI cycles were about $4-5K. I had to tack on extra costs for OHSS management at the end of the IVF cycle. I was fortunate that diagnostic testing early on and blood work throughout were covered, otherwise that would have added up astronomically in the IUI cycles. (IVF fee covers blood work until actual pregnancy testing and evaluation.)
Treated 2012 - 2015
Dr. Spandorfer has developed the co-culture protocol which takes cells from the mother's uterus to create a customized culture in which to grow the embryo. I thought that was neat. We tried that with him and a variety of different protocols (lupron, estrogen patch, etc.)...He is very to the point and honest. I found him warm and friendly but I could see how others might not. He has a good sense of humor and a good perspective on the serious work he does. My husband and I trusted him and liked him.
I found the nurses to be extremely helpful and friendly. Some of the phlebotomists were more friendly than others. Yes, it had a bit of a factory [Weill Cornell] feel but that was not my actual experience 1:1... Get there early and your wait is usually less than getting there in the middle of the monitoring hours. ... Everything is very clean and professional. Note: they do call out your full name in the waiting room, so if you would find that difficult, consider other options.
Do not expect warm and fuzzy but know that he knows what he is doing and has a big heart.
CRM is very popular and people come from all over the world. I found the nurses to be extremely helpful and friendly. Some of the phlebotomists were more friendly than others. Yes, it had a bit of a factory feel but that was not my actual experience 1:1.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jackie--but she is no longer there)
Jackie was phenomenal, though she is no longer working at CRM the last I was in touch with her. Honest and encouraging and no beating around the bush.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
CRM is huge. I used to describe the waiting room as the United Nations of assisted fertility since people come from all over the world for treatment. They have exceptional knowledge and expertise, and so there are a lot of patients. I never really felt like "just a number" but it is a bit overwhelming to be in such a large waiting room. Everything is very clean and professional. Note: they do call out your full name in the waiting room, so if you would find that difficult, consider other options.
It is a very large waiting room and they call out names every 30 seconds or so. Get there early and your wait is usually less than getting there in the middle of the monitoring hours. Getting there on the later end of the window could also work sometimes. The waiting is comfortable, though most people are understandably pretty stressed out.
Insurance covered three rounds of everything then it covered the monitoring and procedures we paid out of pocket. I don't remember the amount.
They deferred to our preference.

Treated 2015
I did not like him. He was condescending and always in a rush. When i went in for my first sonogram post positive pregnancy test and he didn't see what he was expecting to see, he was insensitive and brief and left the room abruptly. We felt helpless and abandoned and I switched doctors immediately.
Go to him only if you literally do not care about bedside manner and you don't mind being treated like a number.
He didn't know my name. He barely took the time to answer my questions.
It was hard to get anyone to spend more than 30 seconds with me. They were all very hurried and when I went in for monitoring the last time they were horrible. Stabbed me with the needle and rude.
Covered by insurance. Just paid copays
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
They barely knew who I was and it was obvious. The doctor didn't take the time to go over my questions and concerns and prescribed me the wrong dose of synthroid without being able to monitor me for it. He was cold, abrupt and rude about telling me and my husband that I was likely going to miscarry. It was going to be a horrible time but could have been a little less horrible if he had 5 minutes and a heart. Even before that though he was condescending and rude everytime I spoke to him. I did not feel well supported or well cared for in his care.
Treated 2015
He [Dr. Steven Spandorfer] was amazing! Our flight was delayed which brought us into NYC after the clinic closed. He actually came back and took care of us at like 8 pm. He tailored my meds. He also called after each chemical pregnancy and talked me through everything.... It [Weill Cornell Medical College] feels like a bit of a cattle call and wait times cane be long but it was worth it. He gave me hope and was so supportive....
He did a great job asking questions and being supportive of my journey. He did things with my meds that allowed for the most eggs retrieved and the best graded embryos I had up until that point. He was direct and honest.
It feels like a bit of a cattle call and wait times cane be long but it was worth it. He gave me hope and was so supportive.
He was amazing! Our flight was delayed which brought us into NYC after the clinic closed. He actually came back and took care of us at like 8 pm. He tailored my meds. He also called after each chemical pregnancy and talked me through everything.
I have been through so many IVF cycles that is hard to remember what he did. I know it was called estrogen priming where I wore a patch after my period. I also remember that he did give me as many drugs as my STL doctors. I felt the best will on his protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Jackie called me to remind me of my meds changing on some days. She also went out or her way to get meds shipped to NYC because they extended past my supply. She was awesome!
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
See comments on what patients should know about doctor Spandorfer
I had insurance coverage so I do not know cost. I will say there were not any "hidden" costs.

Treated 2014
Dr. Spandorfer was not a hand holder but he was efficient clear and willing to work with me despite my diminished ovarian reserve....Spandorfer was really not phased by my high FSH and low antral follicle count. Unlike my doctor at my previous clinic, Spandorfer told me he would be willing to go ahead to retrieval even if we only managed to produce one bag he said it was my decision. That made me feel like he respected my agency and like he wasn't fixated on statistics.
Weill-Cornell was like a breath of fresh air.... The facility was clean with new looking equipment...it's attached to a research university...I felt that Weill-Cornell is willing, therefore, to take risks on patients rather than pushing them to look elsewhere or opt for donor eggs....One thing I noticed it was different from the other clinic I attended is that they would call you up for monitoring by first and last name
I answered some of this in the previous question but I would say Dr. Spandorfer was not a hand holder but he was efficient clear and willing to work with me despite my diminished ovarian reserve. And by work with me I mean he was willing to do an egg retrieval and insemination and a transfer even with very few eggs produced by stimulation -- which by the way I had gotten from other doctors with various mixes of medication so I think it was inevitable .
Be aware that you might not have your transfer with him. iIt might be another doctor and in my case that other doctor pushed for us to transfer two embryos even though we only wanted to transfer one.
After a long, bad experience at a more commercial IVF clinic in NYC, Weill-Cornell was like a breath of fresh air. Literally, actually. The waiting room had natural light coming from big windows as opposed to being a cramped crowded dark space space. The facility was clean with new looking equipment as opposed to the other facility I'd been a patient at. And I found Cornell to be much more efficiently run. To answer the number versus human question a bit more directly, Spandorfer was really not phased by my high FSH and low antral follicle count. Unlike my doctor at my previous clinic, Spandorfer told me he would be willing to go ahead to retrieval even if we only managed to produce one bag he said it was my decision. That made me feel like he respected my agency and like he wasn't fixated on statistics.
I'm a bit hazy on the protocol specifics. I remember estrogen priming high doses of Gonal-F and something else I can't remember. None of the DHEA or anything else that I've heard some doctors use for diminished ovarian reserve cases.
They were just really efficient organized professional .
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It is clean and organized. It's a pleasant place to be relatively speaking. Most importantly though it's attached to a research university which I think is a very important aspect of any medical establishment. This means that the doctors are more informed of their more curious and innovative and they're less fixated on statistics and money than other places. I felt that Weill-Cornell is willing, therefore, to take risks on patients rather than pushing them to look elsewhere or opt for donor eggs.
It was an efficient well oiled machine . One thing I noticed it was different from the other clinic I attended is that they would call you up for monitoring by first and last name. The other clinic would just use first names presumably for anonymity. I found that kind of stupid because of course you could see the person, so if you know them you know that they're there for infertility. But I also found the use of first names only at the other office in the monitoring hours to be subtly infantilizing. It did mean at Cornell that I noticed a colleague was there and I might not of noticed that she was there if she hadn't been called up to the desk by first and last name. But I didn't think this was a big deal since obviously were all in the same situation so it's not like I'm going to go gossiping to our mutual colleagues that she was at my infertility clinic, thus outing myself as a fellow infertile.
I have insurance from the state of Massachusetts --" Romney care "-- which provides excellent coverage so I was not too aware of the price per procedure .
We had a different doctor for the transfer I think his name was Dr. Cho . I was in the surgery room and he said something like, "Did Dr. Spandorfer talk to you about transferring one or two embryos?" He hadn't and then Dr. Cho sort of talked us out of our preference for a single embryo transfer even though we absolutely positively did not want to have twins and felt very strongly about single embryo transfer .
Treated 2013 - 2014
Investment Banker
He [Dr. Spandorfer] could be very curt in the morning. He doesn't answer a lot of questions and he can have a cold bedside manner. You have to do your homework on infertility and come prepared to ask the right questions. When I did have bad news, he showed more compassion
Both a cattle call but well oiled machine. They [staff at Weill Cornell Fertility] have timers outside each door and they set it for 7 minutes. [Nurse[ Jackie was the best. She told it like it was and answered all the questions for us that Dr. Spandorfer didn't.
As mentioned, he could be very curt in the morning. He doesn't answer a lot of questions and he can have a cold bedside manner. You have to do your homework on infertility and come prepared to ask the right questions. When I did have bad news, he showed more compassion.
You have to have patience. It is not likely going to work on the first time. Tell yourself it is a journey. IVF is an art, the doctors learn more about you with each round, and make adjustments as necessary. Stick with it and hopefully it will work. Dr. Spandorfer always talked about what we would fix the next time.
He has so many patients that in the morning blood draws and ultrasounds, about 150 women are shuffled through like cattle. He doesn't have time to answer a lot of questions. If you want to speak to him, you should really make an appointment in the afternoon with him. The times when he treated me most like a human were after all the negative news- our first round of IVF resulting in a miscarriage and our second round resulting in not pregnant at all. He called me personally on my cell. I came to realize that if it was good news, a nurse called you, but if it was bad news, he called you. So you actually didn't want to hear his voice on the other end of the phone.
We tried IUI three times, which I feel was a waste of time. It rarely works but I think the insurance companies require it before they allow IVF. He gave me very low dose drugs the first IVF round so I only made 3 eggs. Wish we would have made more to have something to freeze. For the second round it felt like starting all over. This time he gave me higher drugs and I made 13 eggs and was able to freeze 2. So when the second round didn't work we had two left to do a Frozen Embryo Transfer round. That worked and we had our son!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Yes, Jackie Stahl)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very well oiled machine, managing about 150 women per cycle. Extremely efficient in the morning, almost too efficient in that you don't get much time with the doctors. But it's the only way they could possibly see that many women in one month.
Both a cattle call but well oiled machine. They have timers outside each door and they set it for 7 minutes.
$10K per IVF round, additional $2K for ICSI
Treated 2013 - 2014
Center for Reproductive Medicine [Weill Cornell Medical College clinic] is a large practice. Each morning the waiting room is filled with hundreds of women at various points in their fertility journey. The first morning I arrived at the clinic I was overwhelmed -- I couldn't believe how many people were in the same situation as me. As the visits turned into months of visits, I became more accustomed to the full, and eerily silent, waiting room.
I'm very lucky to have found Dr Spandorfer. Before seeing him I was left wondering why we couldn't get pregnant, and what the next steps would be. Once we met with Dr Spandorfer there was a clear path, though of course it varied when needed. We always felt supported and knew that if there was a way to get pregnant, Dr Spandorfer was the one who could help us. While his bedside manner is not as warm as one might want, all of his other characteristics -- especially his knowledge of infertility -- more than made up for this. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a great RE with proven results.
Trust him.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Center for Reprodictive Medicine is a large practice. Each morning the waiting room is filled with hundreds of women at various points in their fertility journey. The first morning I arrived at the clinic I was overwhelmed -- I couldn't believe how many people were in the same situation as me. As the visits turned into months of visits, I became more accustomed to the full, and eerily silent, waiting room.
The majority of the services I received were covered by insurance.
Treated 2007 - 2012
When I came to Dr. Spandorfer, I'd already been told by two other doctors that there was likely no hope for me to have a baby. Dr. Spandorfer said, "there's always hope," and agreed to treat me - unlike my previous two doctors who'd declined to treat me again because of two failed IVF cycles. ... Dr. Spandorfer was kind, funny, steadfast ... He was patient and kind with me ...
The clinic - at least when I went there a few years ago - was truly state-of-the-art. They really seemed to have everything under control and orderly, from making appointments, to timing of all the medical aspects, to moving patients through the process. ... The nursing staff is knowledgeable and extremely capable. That said, this is a very busy clinic. As such, once you've started the fertility protocol, you're on a somewhat rigid and set schedule of tests and injections, and the nursing staff sometimes doesn't have a ton of time to explain things in infinite detail.
It would be impossible to overemphasize how amazing my experience as a patient of Dr. Spandorfer's was. He took me as a patient, despite a history of failed IVF. At the time, many clinics were not taking patients like me because they didn't want to mess up their high ratings. He was patient and kind with me - and most importantly, there's now a beautiful little girl who exists because of him. I owe him my new life as a mom.
Be patient and trust his advice.
When I came to Dr. Spandorfer, I'd already been told by two other doctors that there was likely no hope for me to have a baby. Dr. Spandorfer said, "there's always hope," and agreed to treat me - unlike my previous two doctors who'd declined to treat me again because of two failed IVF cycles. They didn't want to reduce their clinic's success ratings. Dr. Spandorfer was kind, funny, steadfast - and his expertise as a physician made me into the mom of a beautiful, amazing baby.
The nursing staff is knowledgeable and extremely capable. That said, this is a very busy clinic. As such, once you've started the fertility protocol, you're on a somewhat rigid and set schedule of tests and injections, and the nursing staff sometimes doesn't have a ton of time to explain things in infinite detail. They're empathetic, but the process is such that it does feel rushed sometimes. That said, the internet exists to do the research of the super-fine details of procedures and protocols.
Treated 2004 - 2011
I felt like Dr. Spandorfer played by the book--you must do three cycles of Clomid before going on to injectables but then he perked up before my second round of injectibles and that's the one that worked...Question whether you have to do Clomid or any protocol. Find out if he thinks it's the best way to go or if it's just the way insurance wants it
The clinic [Cornell] is efficient and as I ended up with a child, I was extremely happy. I do think it tends to be a very sad place. Going in each morning for monitoring, there are desperate lives on display, marriages falling apart, tears being shed. You go through so much and meet a lot of failure along the way...When I went for the "teach" class where they show you how to inject yourself with Gonal-F and HCG, the nurses were spot on when I said I was a single mother by choice and immediately tailored how to inject HCG to me--injecting in the front of my thigh (as opposed to the tush) and writing a prescription for a shorter needle
I felt he was the gentlest of the doctors when it came time to an internal sonogram with the wand. He did explain what the procedures were. I liked him. I felt he listened to me. I did feel somewhat like a textbook case--that we had to do things in a certain order.
I did three rounds of Clomid and two rounds of Gonal-F. I was 37 to 39 at the time
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic is efficient and as I ended up with a child, I was extremely happy. I do think it tends to be a very sad place. Going in each morning for monitoring, there are desperate lives on display, marriages falling apart, tears being shed. You go through so much and meet a lot of failure along the way
Keep in mind this was over 16 years ago. I paid nearly $10,000 out of pocket. I had insurance but nothing was covered at the time
Treated 2010
Dr. Spandorfer did not have much of a bedside manor. He is not warm at all and had no hope for me getting pregnant. He told me I had "less than 5% chance of getting pregnant". After that conversation I decided to switch doctors. My next doctor was successful at getting me pregnant with my own eggs after only one IVF....Unless you are a prime candidate to be successful he will probably suggest donor egg. If you are not ready for that seek out a second opinion.
Cornell has a great reputation - but all the doctors are not created equal. The MD I really wanted to see had a long wait and also did not take my insurance. Dr. S had some good reviews so I went with him. Sometimes you have to realize that you have to see for yourself how you get along with a particular doctor -everyone is different and has different expectations.. Cornell does have that factory feel - so if you need your hand held I would recommend checking out other places...
Cornell is like a factory - very crowded during monitoring.
It's such a large clinic it really depends who you get that day. Also, this was 2010 so the staff may have changed. Most were fine.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It was a cattle call - but it was well run
I had some fertility grant money which covered medications. I think we paid for 2 cycles - something like 10K each (I don't remember exactly)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My blood work stated that I had a autoimmune thyroid issue, but this doctor never let me know or brought it up to me.
Treated 2007 - 2009
If it had been my first IVF instead of my fourth, I probably would have been upset that i almost never saw him but it was fine because it was my fourth time.
I spoke to Dr. Spandorfer once on the phone and I saw him twice (once on the day of the egg harvest and the day of the transfer), otherwise I saw other doctors at Cornell. Spandorfer was very nice and had a great bedside manner. But if it had been my first IVF instead of my fourth, I probably would have been upset that I almost never saw him but it was fine because it was my fourth time.
I spoke to Dr. Spandorfer once on the phone and I saw him twice (once on the day of the egg harvest and the day of the transfer), otherwise I saw other doctors at Cornell. Spandorfer was very nice and had a great bedside manner. But if it had been my first IVF instead of my fourth, I probably would have been upset that i almost never saw him but it was fine because it was my fourth time. However, I did not like dealing with Cornell. The staff and some of the nurses are rude. I was definitely just a number there. And the wait times were absurdly long.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
...I did not like dealing with Cornell. The staff and some of the nurses are rude. I was definitely just a number there. And the wait times were absurdly long.
Wait times were over an hour for monitoring appointments.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
One mistake they made was when they gave me the prescription for one for the drugs that required a "pen" to administer, they did not give me the pen and I assumed I would get it from the pharmacy, but they didn't know I needed it because it wasn't on the prescription, so when I got drugs, I didn't have the ability to administer that medicine, and I had to call around to numerous pharmacies in New York and Connecticut before I found one in CT that had them. I could have missed my opportunity to start my cycle.
Upper East Side
Great doctor. Nothing bad to say.... I got pregnant on my fourth cycle ( third at Cornell, using on own eggs). I delivered my son one month after my 43rd birthday.
[Dr. Spandorfer was a] great doctor. Nothing bad to say.... I got pregnant on my fourth cycle ( third at Cornell, using on own eggs). I delivered my son one month after my 43rd birthday.
at the time (2002-2003) he had a lot of experience with the over 40 crowd. I got pregnant on my fourth cycle ( third at Cornell, using on own eggs. I delivered my son one month after my 43rd birthday.
Great doctor. Nothing bad to say